+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The song you're playing on guitar

asshat DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO's Avatar
    I got on a "The Who" kick a couple of months ago, listening a lot to The Why By Numbers and Face Dances. This one keeps coming up the most.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    I'm working out a bluegrass version of "Wanted Dead or Alive" on my new mandolin. I already have the guitar part done. If I can figure out how to post GarageBand files on shag I will.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    I've always been a big metalhead. But very few of my friends, colleagues, well-wishers, and romantic interests appreciate Slayer and Megadeth as much as they should. This disappoints me, but what are you going to do? Find some magic "don't be stupid" pill and serve it to all of the stupid people infesting your life? Unlikely. Instead, I decided to start learning some songs that (a) I like, (b) are fun to play, and--this is the key--(c) the general population recognizes and likes. So I've been working on Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" and GNR's "Night Train" lately, solos and all.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    BUMP!

Okay, $#@!os. What are you playing these days? Since the summer, I've been on a mission to learn some well-known songs. It got old having friends/family/well-wishers ask me to play something, only to return puzzled looks when I start jamming out the intro to "Dead Skin Mask."

So... some of the latest tunes that have been wearing out my frets are AC/DC's "Shook me All Night Long," Vampire Weekend's "Holiday," and Clapton's acoustic version of "Layla." The Night Train solo remains my white whale. Even when I'm chasing other fish, it vexes me. I have 95% of it down pat, but can't seem to get motivated to sit down and learn the final couple of measures. Once that's down, the solos for "Sweet Child of Mine" will take their turn as Moby $#@!.

My next projects are "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac (wife's request) and, since I just acquired a new bass, the bassline for Duran Duran's "Rio."

Your turn.
    Last edited by BrickHorn; 11-13-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzrock View Post
    I'm working out a bluegrass version of "Wanted Dead or Alive" on my new mandolin. I already have the guitar part done. If I can figure out how to post GarageBand files on shag I will.
    Well... we're waiting...

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHorn View Post
    Well... we're waiting...
    Yeah no clue how to post it.

I'm trying to work this one out right now - steel and fiddle riffs as well:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad $#@! View Post
    I'm trying to work this one out right now - steel and fiddle riffs as well:

Nice. Steel guitar intimidates me. I can't even play decent slide on a regular guitar.

asshat Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker Shaggy Gold Club Speedtrucker's Avatar
    I still kinda know how to play STP's Plush on guitar... still know the chorus for sure.

asshat DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO's Avatar

Sort of...

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Since i started playing bass I'm filling in with one band and forming another. Here's some of the $#@! I've had to learn in the last month, not as bad as it looks since I already knew a lot of these on guitar and just had to learn the bass parts which are often simple.

Evil Ways
    Walk Don't Run
    Stir it Up
    After Midnight
    Old Time Rock & Roll
    Bertha
    Mustang Sally
    I shot the Sheriff (Actually more fun to play on bass than on guitar).
    Folsom Prison Blues
    Brown Eyed Girl (Also fun on Bass)
    Stray Cat Strut
    Guajira
    Spooky
    Help the Poor
    Jealous Man
    Lover's Game
    Wrong to Leave You
    Just Got Back From Baby's
    Francene

The singer / guitar player I'm forming the band with and I did a showcase set, meaning another band let us play a set in the middle of their gig, on Monday night and had a tremendous response. We shook all kinds of asses. Lot of fun. We just need a drummer and have like 3 to choose from.

Here's what's on the list to learn, again I know a lot of these on guitar and theoretically on bass, but I don't consider them learned until I've played them successfully with a group and drummer.

Chiltons Con Carne
    Route 66
    Jambalaya
    Margaritaville
    Tequila
    Sea Cruise
    Good Lovin'
    Gypsy Strut
    Flip Flop & Fly
    Its All Over Now
    All Night Worker
    One with Nature
    Shake Rattle & Roll
    Move it On Over
    Rock Me Baby
    Pipeline
    Lets Work Together
    Oye Como Va
    Ya Ya
    Jump Jive & Wail
    Heart Full of Soul
    Fast as You Can
    Little Sister
    Next Time U See Me

On guitar I've been working on chops for Tobacco Road, Just got Back from Baby's, Put it Where You Want It, Drowning in a Sea of Love, High on the Hog, and Diggin' on James Brown since I'm still playing guitar a little with another cat.

asshat Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang Shaggy Platinum Gil Bang's Avatar
    BUMP!

Okay, $#@!os. What are you playing these days? Since the summer, I've been on a mission to learn some well-known songs. It got old having friends/family/well-wishers ask me to play something, only to return puzzled looks when I start jamming out the intro to "Dead Skin Mask."

So... some of the latest tunes that have been wearing out my frets are AC/DC's "Shook me All Night Long," Vampire Weekend's "Holiday," and Clapton's acoustic version of "Layla." The Night Train solo remains my white whale. Even when I'm chasing other fish, it vexes me. I have 95% of it down pat, but can't seem to get motivated to sit down and learn the final couple of measures. Once that's down, the solos for "Sweet Child of Mine" will take their turn as Moby $#@!.

My next projects are "Landslide" by Fleetwood Mac (wife's request) and, since I just acquired a new bass, the bassline for Duran Duran's "Rio."

Your turn.
    You must master each bass part of "Big Bottoms"

asshat cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn Shaggy Platinum cajunhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    I love David Rawlings and Gillian Welch in this video.
    What, no love for my pal Critter on the banjo?

And this one seems especially appropriate here. Be sure to pay attention at the end...

My current obsession is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd. Got everything down except the second solo where Gilmour sings the notes along w/his guitar work.
    Last edited by cajunhorn; 11-25-2012 at 10:51 PM.

I like to play Wish You Were Here in 3/4 on acoustic. Gives it a little different flavor.

figured out how to play jumpin jack flash and street fighting man. think were gonna play them both at my band's first show.

Nice thread. Gotta question, and I know it will differ person to person, but how hard is it to learn the guitar? Iíve been tempted to buy a little acoustic just to have something to mess around with, but I have no musical background. Looking at some youtube "lessonsĒ this instrument seems complicated as $#@!.

Basically, how frustrating would it be to learn a couple Buddy Holly tunes (Iím thinking of Well...All Right in particular) for a beginner with no musical aptitude?

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxBercovicz View Post
    Nice thread. Gotta question, and I know it will differ person to person, but how hard is it to learn the guitar? Iíve been tempted to buy a little acoustic just to have something to mess around with, but I have no musical background. Looking at some youtube "lessonsĒ this instrument seems complicated as $#@!.

Basically, how frustrating would it be to learn a couple Buddy Holly tunes (Iím thinking of Well...All Right in particular) for a beginner with no musical aptitude?
    Its easier for some than others, but if it was easy everybody would play. If you do decide to pursue it, its a life long pursuit and you will never be bored. Nothing will help you early like paying for lessons, even if you can only afford one a month.

+rep when I get to a computer for invoking Buddy Holly, one of my all time favorites.

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    When you say "no musical aptitude", do you mean you've just never really pursued doing anything musical at all, or do you mean that in a more active sense, like you have no rhythm and are tone deaf? If you have no rhythm and are completely incapable of differentiating pitch, it's going to be pretty tough. But I doubt that is the case if you have an interest in picking up the guitar for a reason other than pussy.

I played piano for 6 years before I ever picked up the guitar (when I was a kid), and picked up upper brass instruments before I got around to the guitar. It is simultaneously the simplest and most complicated instrument. I'm completely musically literate, studied music theory, can write music (I mean, like, with a pencil on a grand staff), I don't really read music on guitar, and even when I look at tablature, I mostly just get the gist of it and then iron it out by ear (about 75% of tablature is $#@!ing bull$#@! btw).

Anyways, I don't mean to wax on... good news is for what you're talking about doing, guitar is a pretty simple instrument. I'd never heard that Buddy Holly tune before and just went and picked it out. It's actually a pretty ideal song for someone just learning how to do the basic barre chords. Up higher on the neck where the string tension isn't too difficult for a newbie to make a barre, and you're basically just forming each basic barre chord in one location and then moving it into another location on the neck.

I would have you practicing some songs where you're just playing the basic "cowboy" chords (E, A, G, C, D, Em, Am, Dm) before I had you trying some barre chords, but that would be the exact next step. I think you should give it a try. For that level of things its just about developing dexterity in your hands and memorizing some chord shapes. Take a few lessons to make sure you don't start with any bad habits, continue with the lessons if you want to be serious about it, and then keep us posted and post a pic of whatever guitar you buy in the Guitar Pron thread. If you're not musically retarded you should be at least doing something that could be described as playing something resembling Well.. Alright in a few months. You might be playing it really slowly with a lot of the strings partially deadened and everyone in the room doing that thing where they are smiling and nodding but also cringing at the same time, but hey that's part of the game.

If you give yourself about an hour lesson a week, and a couple hours a week to practice, in about six weeks you will have the basic skills (making chords, changing chords, etc.) down. The most frustrating part is powering through that period where your brain knows where your fingers should go, but the fingers refuse, which usually takes a couple weeks. Though some people call it "the rest of your life."

Warning: see the guitar pron thread- it's a junkies world my friend.

Btw, Buddy Holly is great for beginners. The solo on Peggy Sue is just basic chords. In fact, most of his stuff is easily played with just the basic first position chords. For ear training (and fun) I'd suggest (for anyone, beginners and old hands alike) buying his 20 greatest hits and just trying to pick up the tunes as they play through. The songs are easy enough to pick up quickly, but short enough that its a fun challenge.

One of the greatest that guy.

asshat American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle's Avatar

Learning how to play this solo from Opeth's "The Grand Conjuration". Got got it at about 80%.
    Last edited by American Swindle; 11-27-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Nice thread. Gotta question, and I know it will differ person to person, but how hard is it to learn the guitar? I’ve been tempted to buy a little acoustic just to have something to mess around with, but I have no musical background. Looking at some youtube "lessons” this instrument seems complicated as $#@!.

Basically, how frustrating would it be to learn a couple Buddy Holly tunes (I’m thinking of Well...All Right in particular) for a beginner with no musical aptitude?
    As long as you have the right attitude, and are willing to invest some time learning the basics of the instrument (and music generally), then it shouldn't be that frustrating. If you go into it expecting to master even simple 3-chord songs within a day of picking up your first guitar, you're in for disappointment and, ultimately, abandoning the guitar before you even really get started. Be prepared to take a couple of weeks to a month of daily practice learning basic chords, teaching your fingers to change between those chords, figuring out basic strumming, and building calluses. If you can, take a few lessons.

Like Celery, I started off on the piano as a kid. Piano is great for learning the basics of music theory, how to read music, timing, etc. If you're interested in piano, it's worth learning for that reason alone. Personally, piano bores me senseless and I dropped it as soon as I could. But I'm glad I spent 7 years learning how to play it, because it made learning guitar much easier.

Assuming you don't want to spend time learning a different instrument just to make guitar easier, I suggest you sign up for lessons. You'll be a beginner, so I wouldn't worry about shopping around for the best teacher or the right style. You need to learn the basics.

If you'd prefer to teach yourself, here's the order I'd go in:

1. Read some basic primers on music. Learn the names of notes, what a chord is, etc. You don't need to know how to read music to play guitar (I can read music for piano, and could read it for guitar at one time but have forgotten). But it helps to know that an A is a half-step higher in pitch than a G#, and what the hell a half-step and a G# is. You can probably get everything you need to know from Wiki. Read it, then print it out and study the material. (Should take a day to pick up the basic ideas, but you'll need to reinforce that knowledge over time.)

2. Buy a beginning guitar book that has diagrams of the basic open (what Celery called "cowboy") chords in it. Learn them all. Memorize them. Practice them over and over and over again. Play them until your finger tips are screaming in pain. Then take a break, and play them again. There's a lot of superfluous $#@! when it comes to guitar playing, but you absolutely must know these chords. Without them, you cannot in any sense be a guitar player. (This could take anywhere from a week to a couple of months, depending on the level you're starting at and how much finger dexterity and strength you have naturally).

3. Learn the barre chords. These are simple in concept, but somewhat difficult to play as a technical matter because they require finger strength that beginners typically lack. The basic idea is that you can take an open E chord and an open A chord and, by using your index finger to hold down all the strings on a higher fret, transpose the same chord shape to play a chord in any key. This is a VERY powerful idea that opens up a lot of possibilities in guitar. (This phase takes some time to get right. Maybe a couple of weeks. Maybe a couple of months. You have to build up finger strength and become comfortable moving up and down the fretboard and knowing where the root notes -- which determine the key of the scale -- are.)

4. Learn the pentatonic scales and what I learned as "twelve-bar blues" (also known as I-IV-V). Learn to improvise pentatonic solos over the I-IV-V chord pattern. I really like the method my guitar teacher used to teach me the pentatonic scale. He basically printed out the scale on a fretboard diagram, and taught me the various positions with root notes and optional minor scale notes highlighted. I memorized them by just running my fingers up and down the scale over and over and over again. Then I practiced playing made-up solo progressions over rhythm patterns over and over again, transposing the scale to different keys to change things up. Again, this is a very powerful idea as it allows you to play blues and rock style solos in whatever key you want. (To get really good at soloing is a lifetime project. I don't think anyone is ever happy with their progress. Guitar is like golf that way. You always feel you can improve on something. But to get competent and know the scales and where your fingers should go, you're looking at a solid month or two of work.)

5. Learn to read tab. This isn't something you need to wait until after steps 1-4 to do, but something you should be working on all along. Tab is easy to read, as it's just a mapping of notes to positions on the fretboard. There are tabs out there for pretty much any song you could ever want to learn, although the quality is often uneven.

I've been playing for nearly 25 years, and that's really all I've ever formally learned. Other than that, I've basically picked up songs I want to learn either by reading the tab or working it out by ear (usually, some combo of the two). I sometimes wish I had stuck with the classical guitar lessons I started in high school, or learned jazz guitar with all of the oddball chords and fancy scales (which I'm now learning via self-study). But those 5 things above and a $#@!-ton of practice are all you need to be competent enough to learn most any popular music and impress chicks.

Good luck!
    Last edited by BrickHorn; 11-27-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Good $#@! guys, thanks for everyone's input. If I ever decide to take the plunge I will start out with at least a couple formal lessons just to have some foundation.

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar
    Have decided that since I know how to play harmonica, I am going to focus on really getting that down , and learn the positions. Right now I am having the craziest fun time playing the two chord Little Wing by Neil Young and just looowwwing out the cross harp and not fretting all that much about how perfect my guitar strumming is.

Without even thinking about it, this approach is helping me on my cowboy chord speed while giving me time to practice harmonica licks.

As to learning, I am trying to teach myself -- my most important guideline is a good dog eared chord book with multiple diagrams for each chord down the neck. This book has also been handy:

Last edited by tantric superman; 11-28-2012 at 11:22 PM.

^^^ I've recommended that book many times myself. Great call.

dipshit wulimaster is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? wulimaster is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? wulimaster is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? wulimaster is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? wulimaster is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? wulimaster is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? wulimaster's Avatar
    Been trying to perfect the fingerpicking opening to "The Boxer".

asshat American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle is a rep whore. American Swindle's Avatar

It's not rocket science.....learn music you love and PRACTICE TIL' UR FINGERS $#@!ING BLEED!

BEND THOSE STRINGS UNTIL YOUR CALLOUSES GET CALLOUSES!!!

This is what made my fingers bleed:

Learned a lot of Jimi.

Picked this out the other day, fun and easy to play. The Youtube recording doesn't do the tone justice, but how do you get a really nice acoustic tone like that recorded? Do you have to mic it or can you do it through a pickup? I have a pretty nice Taylor (414CE) and it sounds great but the sound is hard to capture.

For some reason Honkytonk Woman just popped into my head yesterday and it finally got me into playing in open G. Good lord it is fun as hell to play in that tuning which also took me to playing Start Me Up. It is now time to explore more of Keith Richards.

Also starting working on Hey Joe which is a lot of fun. The nice thing about these songs is they are fun to play for people as there is a lot of room to go into different areas. And no I can't play lead anywhere close to the way Jimi Hendrix did.
    Last edited by mrfloyd; 12-08-2012 at 07:17 PM.

asshat ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    I got on a "The Who" kick a couple of months ago, listening a lot to The Why By Numbers and Face Dances. This one keeps coming up the most.

Been trying to learn "Drowned" the acoustic version Townshend plays live now. His strumming makes me want to quit playing.

Quote Originally Posted by tantric superman View Post
    Have decided that since I know how to play harmonica, I am going to focus on really getting that down , and learn the positions. Right now I am having the craziest fun time playing the two chord Little Wing by Neil Young and just looowwwing out the cross harp and not fretting all that much about how perfect my guitar strumming is.

Without even thinking about it, this approach is helping me on my cowboy chord speed while giving me time to practice harmonica licks.

As to learning, I am trying to teach myself -- my most important guideline is a good dog eared chord book with multiple diagrams for each chord down the neck. This book has also been handy:

Quote Originally Posted by Chad $#@! View Post
    ^^^ I've recommended that book many times myself. Great call.
    Haha. Great book. Here's a pic of my dog eared, 1982 edition that I picked up when I 1st started back around the same time.

Didn't realize it had held up so well over time. +rep for the bringing it up, I'll be sending one to my 17 year old, beginning guitar playing nephew for Christmas.

Editing to add the other book that I tore though when I was 1st starting out. Sadly I don't know what happened to my copy. I think I loaned it to a friend several years back. Mine old one didn't include the CD, so that's a cool bonus. This one is almost worth the $$$ for the artwork inside.

The Heavy Guitar Bible

Last edited by AnotherUTFan; 12-09-2012 at 05:47 PM.

We need a Shaggy "Signature Licks" forum to share all of your personal favorite licks/riffs. When I get my recording set-up tightened up. I'll start one.

My latest project:

I can't find any tab for the solo on-line, so I'm doing it the old school way. It's been a while since I was forced to rely solely on my ear to learn a song. I'd forgotten how much fun it is. Also, I've learned that jazz sounds pretty $#@!ty when played on an SG through a digital modelling amp. Time to invest in a hollow body and a tube amp?

My latest project:

I can't find any tab for the solo on-line, so I'm doing it the old school way. It's been a while since I was forced to rely solely on my ear to learn a song. I'd forgotten how much fun it is. Also, I've learned that jazz sounds pretty $#@!ty when played on an SG through a digital modelling amp. Time to invest in a hollow body and a tube amp?
    Just the tube amp, I've never heard a modeling amp that sounded right / full clean, or dirty for that matter. That SG will approach Jazz Box cleans with the tone knobs dialed back and a good tube amp.

I'm kinda looking at a Fender Super Champ X2 for a fairly inexpensive practice / recording amp actually. I was playing though one the other day. It had a good tube sound and the on-board models/effects sounded natural. I love the 1/2 direct out for recording too. Not loud enough to play out though I wouldn't think.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    Just the tube amp, I've never heard a modeling amp that sounded right / full clean, or dirty for that matter. That SG will approach Jazz Box cleans with the tone knobs dialed back and a good tube amp.

I'm kinda looking at a Fender Super Champ X2 for a fairly inexpensive practice / recording amp actually. I was playing though one the other day. It had a good tube sound and the on-board models/effects sounded natural. I love the 1/2 direct out for recording too. Not loud enough to play out though I wouldn't think.
    Thanks for the advice. My next acquisition is a Les Paul. But as soon as that money's spent, I'll start looking around for deals on a tube amp. After a quick Google search, it looks like the Peavey Classics are reasonably priced and get good reviews. I'm just a basement player, so I'm thinking a 20 or 30 watt would more than meet my needs. Any others you'd recommend?

For the money you'd spend on that Peavy, you can get a Princeton Reverb. It is the best bang for the buck at that level. Though that Marshall that AUTFan suggested on the pron thread has me thinking...

I'm a big believer in Fender tube amps, probably the most versatile amps on the planet, just look at the list of artist who have used them exclusively, including Chuck Berry and the Stones. A Fender Blues Jr would be perfect for what BrickHorn is trying to do, and they take pedals well too. I have a Deluxe Reverb '65 RI that I love and often prractice with a little Fender Champion 600 that I picked up on sale for $119, it takes pedals pretty well too.

Chad, be sure to try out a Marshall Class 5 before you buy one. I love mine and it's a great luxury, but it's not nearly as versatile as a Fender. It's more of a one trick pony. Great for arena style Rock and Roll at moderate volumes and for Almond Brothers / southern rock style blues. It's a great amp and if something happened to mine I'd cry and then go get another, but I couldn't see it being my only amp and I don't think they are for everybody. Be sure to crank it when you test one, that's how they sound best, even if you use the guitars volume to control it.

Hmmmmm, so what you're saying is I need to go test some amps out?

Challenge accepted.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Brick, I spent a lot of time during the spring and summer trying to decide which amp I wanted to go with. I got it down to a Vox AC30 and the Fender Blues Jr. Ended up picking the Blues Jr and am really glad I did. It mostly stays in my basement but when I want to take it somewhere else to play, it is easy to move around. It can more than hold its own in smaller rooms/clubs if you are playing out. I've taken it to sit in for some people and I've been very happy with it.

If I had been in Austin, I would have probably picked up the Princeton that JimmyJazz has but this Jr. has really suited me fine to this point.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 12-18-2012 at 04:11 PM.

asshat Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Billy the Mountain's Avatar
    I'm working on Frank Zappa's Village of the Sun as best captured on "Roxy an Elsewhere". This gent's acoustic playing and phrasing has served as an extremely helpful guide, yet I've been hacking away for weeks and weeks. Check out his video and be inspired by his technique -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g143DoGFp1k

BroccoliD

asshat OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur Definitely Shaggy upper class OCSpur's Avatar
    Skynyrd's Gimme Three Steps
    GnR Estranged
    Velvet Revolver Fall To Pieces
    Thin Lizzy Boys Are Back In Town

Nice. $#@!. Brick, you are preaching, man. And Celery Man. Lol. Wow. And double LOL. No disrespect, my man. I ain't never seen you as far as I know. But you are preaching like a pimp up in here.

Moving on. I am truly digging y'alls emphasis on the Piano. It is THE instrument. If I may be some damn mother$#@! bold.

Carlito's Way/ "What a man gotta come to when he loses 5 years."

Anyway. Nice thread.

And, as always. Love y'all $#@!s.

When my friends get together and play for friends this is our favorite doesn't-matter-how-drunk-we-are-it-still-sounds-good song:

Last edited by Buzzrock; 12-31-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Okay. I've been asked to play a few tunes at a friend's kid's 5th birthday party. After reviewing my personal playlist, I realized that I don't know any child-appropriate songs. Every song I like to play involves drugs, sex, murder, or some combination of those three. So... I learned "Happy Birthday" and "Old MacDonald" (yeah, yeah... challenging stuff). What else should I add to my kid party song repertoire?

Yellow submarine maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTexasFan View Post
    Yellow submarine maybe?
    Good suggestion.

All Together Now

It's silly. Kids love it.

Anything sing a long is great.

asshat CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF Shaggy Bronze Club CHIEF's Avatar
    Brick,

The Hokey Pokey is always a favorite. Also, Puff the Magic Dragon. Roger Miller tunes such as Can't Rollerskate in a Buffalo Herd, Flying Purple People Eater.

You can start to see my target audience.

CHIEF

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast