+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The song you're playing on guitar

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    So I picked up a Ukulele after fiddling around on one when I was in Seattle a couple weeks ago. Any recommendations for good uke songs?

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    I'm sure someone will offer up "Over The Rainbow" but the only good ukulele song that I know of is "You Belong To Me" from The Jerk, but only if you can find a girl as cute as Eleanor Whitmore to play along with you.

Original with Bernadette

The perfect uke tune from the George Harrison tribute a couple years ago:

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    I'm sure someone will offer up "Over The Rainbow" but the only good ukulele song that I know of is "You Belong To Me" from The Jerk, but only if you can find a girl as cute as Eleanor Whitmore to play along with you.

Original with Bernadette
    Great rec. One of my favorite movies of all time. Learned the song (roughly at least) last night. Then I put the movie on. Need to learn the lyrics now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad $#@! View Post
    The perfect uke tune from the George Harrison tribute a couple years ago:

Another solid rec. I'll learn this one next.

I gotta say, the Ukulele is a lot of fun for a change of pace and is really an easy transition if you already play guitar. Your fingers can already make all the shapes, it's just about learning where the new chords go. You can even cheat (like guitar) and learn a few movable barre chords and just change positions.

asshat OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur's Avatar
    So, getting ready for my 1 gig per year...

5 yrs ago put together a band within our North American Sales Team and we play at our National Sales Meeting every year.

April 30 th in Boston. We're spread out (Boston, Cincy, Montreal, Philly, San Fran, SoCal, CT). Got a French Canadian chick that can really wail on lead vocals, me and another guy pitch in occasionally.

Usually have conf call in Feb, pick a song list o work on individually (9 new ones for this year) and we fly in 1 day early for a 10 hr cram session. Usually play 15 to 16 song set to about 130 people.

Think I'm gonna debut my '83 LP Custom this year!

This year's list been working on:

Hard Day's Night
    Jailhouse Rock
    Brown Eyed Girl
    What I Like About You
    Gimme Three Steps
    The Boys Are Back In Town
    Wild Nights
    Takin Care of Business
    Sweet Child of Mine
    Two Tickets To Paradise
    Old Time Rock and Roll
    Don't Stop Believin'
    Addicted To Love
    Bad Case of Lovin You
    Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Shook Me All Night Long (re-written lyrics by me about our industry)

It's a blast playing in front of co- workers who
    1. Can't believe we can walk and chew gum at the same time
    2. Are being paid to be there
    3. Have had access to an open bar for a couple hours before we hit the stage
    Last edited by OCSpur; 04-20-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Except for no mention of flashing tits, this seems like a nearly perfect gig.

asshat OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur's Avatar
    Except for no mention of flashing tits, this seems like a nearly perfect gig.
    If they yell loud enough, I might do it...

You know the rules. You got a band fotog?

You know the rules. You got a band fotog?
    The AV crew actually makes DVD every year. Unfortunately, since our lead singer actually has a paying gig in Montreal, and some of my re-written lyrics make fun of competitors, we have a No-web policy. If that changes, maybe can post a sample next month ( if I nail the solo)...

I approve of no web policies, but for flashing tits.

ok. in the spirit of both protecting the innocent and opening myself up to Shag ridicule...

2 years ago, before the encore, i went backstage and changed into this...for Sweet Child of Mine....

I would pos rep the $#@! outta you but I'm on tapatalk. Balls - you haz them on multiple levels.

Thats cool OCSpur. Bosch does a similar deal every year at our industies bigest show every year in Vegas. Bosch owns EV, which employs several formor full time touring musicians and is in the same division as Bosch Security and Communications. A little over three years ago they came up with the idea to form a band called "The Magneatos", named for Bosch's 1st invention/patent, and have them play at Bosch's biggest event during the show (ISC West). They took it to the next level and renamed the event "Our Customers Rock" and invite customers/dealers (like me) to play. They send out a list of about 150 songs a few months in advance from which you can sign up for a few song. They then cull it to two setlists of about 25 songs each based on the songs that drew the most interest. I've played it all 3 years. I was impressed the 1st year when e had a big stage and about 500 in the audience. 2012 brought a full pro lighting rig and a riser with several mics for back up singers. This year was over the top. They rented a ballroom (Pallazzo) twice as big as the one used the previous two years and set up a full, pro stage complete with giant video screens on each side showing closeups and whatnot. This was also the 1st year that they recorded it. They said the video will be posted online once its edited (event was just last week), and ill share it here once available. Basically, i played lead guitar on Crossroads, Mustang Sally, and Keep youre hands to yourself and Bass on I Love Rock and Roll & Oye Como Va in front of over 1000 people. It was a blast. No cool costumes though. Thats pretty cool.
    Last edited by AnotherUTFan; 04-20-2013 at 11:40 AM.

We've done Mustang Sally and I Love Rock and Roll in the past.

Awesome what you guys got going on. Maybe some day we'll do that with a customer event. Alot of them have seen the vids and would love to jam with us.
    The best part is we save company funds on hiring professional entertainment.

Back story on outfit is originally, we all were supposed to bring outfits to create a fake "Supergroup" with Elvis, Tina Turner, etc. for the whole set. Naturally, I show up to rehearsal and the rest had pussed out...

Couple girls in the front were freaked by the tat sleeves, thought they were real. One said " I never knew Spur had tats." And then spent a minute trying to recall if she'd ever seen me in short sleeve shirt.

Best $6 ever spent in a costume store...

Great gig tonight.

Couple small mistakes here and there but overall pretty great, considering 8 new songs in a 15 song set with just a few hours of practice.

If the vids are goods, maybe I'll post a couple...

3 Bookers on the rocks post show and I'm flyin...
    Last edited by OCSpur; 05-01-2013 at 12:26 AM.

asshat Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    Thats cool OCSpur. Bosch does a similar deal every year at our industies bigest show every year in Vegas. Bosch owns EV, which employs several formor full time touring musicians and is in the same division as Bosch Security and Communications. A little over three years ago they came up with the idea to form a band called "The Magneatos", named for Bosch's 1st invention/patent, and have them play at Bosch's biggest event during the show (ISC West). They took it to the next level and renamed the event "Our Customers Rock" and invite customers/dealers (like me) to play. They send out a list of about 150 songs a few months in advance from which you can sign up for a few song. They then cull it to two setlists of about 25 songs each based on the songs that drew the most interest. I've played it all 3 years. I was impressed the 1st year when e had a big stage and about 500 in the audience. 2012 brought a full pro lighting rig and a riser with several mics for back up singers. This year was over the top. They rented a ballroom (Pallazzo) twice as big as the one used the previous two years and set up a full, pro stage complete with giant video screens on each side showing closeups and whatnot. This was also the 1st year that they recorded it. They said the video will be posted online once its edited (event was just last week), and ill share it here once available. Basically, i played lead guitar on Crossroads, Mustang Sally, and Keep youre hands to yourself and Bass on I Love Rock and Roll & Oye Como Va in front of over 1000 people. It was a blast. No cool costumes though. Thats pretty cool.
    Reminds me of "The Propaniacs"

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Spur/Slash if $#@!ing AWESOME!

asshat Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand's Avatar
    did i post this earlier? i can't remember.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/e/el...in_out_crd.htm

CHORDS

e-B-G-D-A-E
    C7/9 3-3-3-2-3-x
    A/C# 0-2-2-2-4-x
    E/G# 0-0-1-2-x-4
    D/A 2-3-2-0-0-x
    Gm(maj7) 2-3-3-0-x-3
    Gm 3-3-3-0-x-3
    Gm6 0-3-3-0-x-3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chromatic Link
    e|----------------|
    B|----------------|
    G|----------------|
    D|----------------|
    A|--------1-2-3-4-|
    E|2-3-4-5---------|

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTRO
    | D | Gm | D | Gm | D | C7/9 |

D
    Pack up all your things
    A/C#
    We're gonna be leaving
    Bm F#m
    Sooner than I thought
    G D
    Take the things you bought
    C7/9
    Clouds are gathering.

D
    Say goodbye to all your friends
    A/C#
    We're gonna be sorry
    Bm F#m
    For a while, that's how it goes
    G D
    But then again, who knows
    C7/9 D [chromatic link]
    About the rain.

D
    I'm steppin' out
    Dmaj7
    I'm moving on
    D7 G
    I'm gonna see the world
    E/G# D/A
    Like a rolling stone
    Bm
    Stepping out
    Gm Am
    I'm gonna be somebody...
    Bb C D
    Oh, I'm steppin' out.

D
    Did you hear what he said?
    A/C#
    He said they sold me down the river
    Bm F#m
    They thought I thought was a fool
    G D
    They said the rain would fall
    C7/9
    What did they know?

D
    Then I saw your face
    A/C#
    And the song that you were singing
    Bm F#m
    Though I thought I knew the words
    G D C7/9
    The tune was quite absurd and out of key
    D [chromatic link]
    Ooo dah dah dee.

D
    I'm steppin' out
    Dmaj7
    I'm moving on
    D7 G
    I'm gonna see the world
    E/G# D/A
    Like a rolling stone
    Bm
    Stepping out
    Gm Am
    I'm gonna be somebody...
    Bb C D A
    Oh, I'm steppin' out.

D F#m G Gm(maj7)Gm Gm(maj7)Gm6
    I'm steppin' out, I'm steppin' out
    I'm steppin' out, I'm steppin' out [chromatic link]
    [vocoder] I'm steppin' out, I'm steppin' out [chromatic link]
    [vocoder] I'm steppin' out, I'm steppin' out [chromatic link]

Bb C | D | Bm | F#m | G Gm |
    Steppin' out, steppin' out, steppin' out.

Don't know where I'm going Gonna see the
    world, gonna be somebody Don't know where I'm
    D F#m G
    going I'm just steppin' out
    Gm(maj7)Gm Gm(maj7)Gm6 Bb C D
    I'm steppin' out, I'm steppin' out. [chromatic link]

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    Update time. Been screwing around with a lot of different stuff lately, and backfilling by finally learning the solos to a bunch of songs I otherwise learned years ago. Some $#@! that's grabbed my interest in the last few months:

* "You're Crazy," GNR (acoustic version)
    * "Hotel California," Gypsy Kings
    * "Man in the Box," AiC
    * "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide," ZZ Top

Man in the Box has been fun, because I've been a lazy $#@! when it comes to mastering the wah-wah pedal. That's a great song for learning wah-wah.

I'm also still screwing around with Django Reinhardt's "Brazil" from time to time. It's 98% there. But there's this one particular part that just $#@!s with me. I learned it one way, and couldn't master it. So I scrapped what I knew and decided to relearn it with an entirely different tab/fingering that would be closer to how a two-fingered player like Django would approach it. Now when I come to that part, the two approaches battle it out in my brain, leading to a cluster$#@! of finger confusion. Just going to have to keep practicing, I suppose.

Alright, what are you $#@!ers playing these days?

Lately I've been working on trying to integrate basic chords and intervals into improvising solos so that I'm not just playing single notes, and also so that I can better play existing songs by ear rather than looking up the tab. For example, getting a better sense of where in-key chords reside based on what area of the fretboard I'm at, so that I can add them in at will and without needing to look up how it's supposed to be done in a particular song. And in particular, worrying less about the full barre chord structure that might be appropriate and more on how to work in stripped-down versions of chords on 2-4 strings as a base from which to add single notes from pentatonic or other scales.

The end result is that I keep stumbling onto random Rolling Stones songs, like Brown Sugar, Can You Hear Me Knocking, and several others. Don't know if that's just what's in my head at the moment or if something about the way Keith Richards came up with those riffs relates to what I'm trying to learn how to do.

Bump.

Anybody playing, or just buying more gear?

Back into Neal Schon phase.

Trying to perfect Stone in Love. Muthafucka is fast...

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTexasFan View Post
    Lately I've been working on trying to integrate basic chords and intervals into improvising solos so that I'm not just playing single notes, and also so that I can better play existing songs by ear rather than looking up the tab. For example, getting a better sense of where in-key chords reside based on what area of the fretboard I'm at, so that I can add them in at will and without needing to look up how it's supposed to be done in a particular song. And in particular, worrying less about the full barre chord structure that might be appropriate and more on how to work in stripped-down versions of chords on 2-4 strings as a base from which to add single notes from pentatonic or other scales.

The end result is that I keep stumbling onto random Rolling Stones songs, like Brown Sugar, Can You Hear Me Knocking, and several others. Don't know if that's just what's in my head at the moment or if something about the way Keith Richards came up with those riffs relates to what I'm trying to learn how to do.
    Are you playing in Open-G? That's something I've been meaning to screw around with a bit. If I have time tonight, I'm going to sit down and learn Brown Sugar in Open-G.

Lately, I've been working on blues improvisation. I don't like the way my soloing sounds, so I've decided to fix it. It's coming along, albeit slowly. Anyone have good recommendations for blues backing tracks that are good for soloing practice?

If you play in open G, very shortly you will have figured out every Stones song since about 1970. It's a ton of fun.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OCSpur View Post
    Bump.

Anybody playing, or just buying more gear?

Back into Neal Schon phase.

Trying to perfect Stone in Love. Muthafucka is fast...
    G, D(sus), two weird chords, back to G

Amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    G, D(sus), two weird chords, back to G

Amirite?
    Yes, but I am talking about the solos...

asshat honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? honolulu horn's Avatar
    Spending time on my favorite songs from the Heavy Metal soundtrack. Surprisingly Reach Out by Cheap Trick is the most fun song to play.

Also just wrapped up Spirit in Black by Slayer, in honor of Jeff Hanneman. Well, the lion's share of it, anyway. I don't think I will hit note-for-note until I sacrifice a couple of goats and drink their blood.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Yes, but I am talking about the solos...
    I know., I was just being a smartass.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    I know., I was just being a smartass.
    On this site, one can never be sure...

Lulz

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHorn View Post
    Are you playing in Open-G? That's something I've been meaning to screw around with a bit. If I have time tonight, I'm going to sit down and learn Brown Sugar in Open-G.
    Not in open-G, but getting a poor man's version in standard tuning from just playing on the D-G-B strings, e.g. hammering onto a C-shaped chord fingering from an A-shaped fingering on those three strings, or just trying to work in more double-stops when I improvise in pentatonic.

Incidentally, before the last couple of months I'd never really buckled down and tried to learn standard lesson plans or theory, but I'll be damned if stumbling across the CAGED system online didn't pull together a hell of a lot of $#@! for me that I had always conceptualized separately. While I knew and used those chord shapes, I'm an idiot for never previously recognizing that they physically connect to one another and span the fretboard in that order, or that they lay out visually on top of particular scale patterns (duh!).

Been noodling with this some:

And this:

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTexasFan View Post
    Not in open-G, but getting a poor man's version in standard tuning from just playing on the D-G-B strings, e.g. hammering onto a C-shaped chord fingering from an A-shaped fingering on those three strings, or just trying to work in more double-stops when I improvise in pentatonic.
    After learning the intro to Brown Sugar last night, I'm wondering what the point of the Open-G tuning is. The chords only involve the D-G-B strings, which are tuned the same in Open-G as they are in standard tuning.

I don't play often with alternate tunings, but my understanding is that there are few reasons. If you just play on the D-G-B strings, all the chords will be inverted, which has a slightly different sound. Open G adds the root note as the lowest pitch in the chord. (I don't think the low E string (tuned to D) is typically played, and Keith removed it altogether).

Together with that, it gets your fingers on the other side of what is normally an A-shaped chord, letting you do some different things (hammer ons, pull offs, etc) playing off the chord while holding it down just with the index finger. I'd imagine it adds some different possibilities for playing double-stops with the altered strings. Obviously it's good for slide guitar too.

Also, part of it has to do with the way you tune it. I don't understand the music theory behind it, but I believe Keith and others tune the B string slightly flat to better harmonize with the other two notes in the major chord, or with overtones, or something else I don't completely understand. You can't do that in standard tuning without $#@!ing up other chord shapes. I've read that one way to get it right is to find the harmonic behind (but not on) the fourth fret on the third string (the standard G string) and then tune the 5th-fret harmonic on the B string to match.

Yeah, I guess what I meant is that I don't understand what the point of Open-G tuning is for that song. Open tunings definitely give you a lot of advantages in general. But, at least from the tab I was following, there's no reason for open tuning on "Brown Sugar."

Interesting abuot the flat B-string tuning. I imagine it has something to do with the difference between the scale of just intonation and the scale of equal temperament.

I could be wrong, but I think he plays the fifth string when he's playing those add-9s in the main riff. I don't think it's worth tuning down for, but it never sounds quite right to me on just three strings. Could just be the flat B-string tuning difference, though. Might try messing with that one string tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    Did the vid ever get posted?

Hmmm. I don't know, I kinda forgot about it. If so I didn't get an email or anything. I'll ask my friend who works there when I talk to him. I hope its out there, I wanna see it.

asshat cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn Probably Shaggy upper class cajunhorn's Avatar
    ok. in the spirit of both protecting the innocent and opening myself up to Shag ridicule...

2 years ago, before the encore, i went backstage and changed into this...for Sweet Child of Mine....

Should be your avatar.

Kills me.

asshat Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life slams and goes hard. Longhorns 4 Life's Avatar
    The man who sold the world but i'm learnin nirvanas unplugged version

spent the last many years trying to master this. I can play it all the way through but it's still challenging for me.

Quote Originally Posted by schnarkle View Post

spent the last many years trying to master this. I can play it all the way through but it's still challenging for me.
    Nice. I get tired head just thinking about learning that one. So much fine detail.

I'm working on the John Mayall / Eric Clapton version of "Hideaway" at the moment. Have the first 2/3rds down reasonably well, but I'm learning it by ear and I'm not happy with my mental tab of a couple of the parts.

asshat utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorns 4 Life View Post
    The man who sold the world but i'm learnin nirvanas unplugged version
    Good song to learn. Need to dust off my acoustic and start playing again.

If you can master any Neal Schon leads, you are indeed the man.

EDIT: meant to quote...directed at OCSpur.

SulliBackingTracks has a tons of these on youtube to play around with.

Bump

Anybody into slide guitar? I bought a slide years ago and gave up after about an hour. Got the bug again a couple of weeks ago listening to Elmore James, so I called a friend who's a great slide player and spent about an hour getting tips from him and learning how to control the overtones and hit the pitch smoothly.

Holy $#@!ing wow!

So far I'm only playing in Open D, and having a blast. Most fun I've had on guitar in a long time. Very addicting. I'm creating new licks and discovering new ways to express on it every day. I'm mostly playing on this little, cheap Gretsch Americana accoustic i have and a little on a Strat I have tuned down. The new tuning (I've always played in straight tuning) is opening up worlds for me and I'm finding all kinds of relationships I never really thought about before. 3 Strings in D, 2 in A, and one in F#; it couldn't be easier. The only downside is your pretty much stuck playing in D (unless you capo). I'll move on to Open G & others once I get done with D.

If you're in a rut like I was, I highly recommend playing around with this style. I'm thinking about making a little video to share what I was taught if anybody is interested.

^^Do it. I got into a slide a while back (around the same time I was using open G and learning the later Stones stuff). Josh Alan (Famous & Poor) did a lot of cool stuff in Open D. Here's one of his better known tunes, live, so it's not the best fidelity, but you get the idea:

Yeah I like to mess around with a medicine bottle in open E like my avatar. (well, not really like him except in my daydreams). Incidentally, he played open E for every song regardless of the key (except a handful for which he played slide in standard tuning).

Edit: oh, and I'd love to see a video with the tips you mentioned
    Last edited by MajorTexasFan; 12-02-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Alright

I'm a week and 2 days into playing slide and Open D, but i went ahead and uploaded a little video to share what i've learned so far and what excites me about the possibilities. It's a little rough and I wish i would've grabbed the blown glass slide instead of the pill bottle since it's a little easier to control. I hope this is helpful to somebody. + rep to the 1st person to identify the Shaggy Easter Egg I dropped in there, it should be pretty obvious.

Also, this guy, Matt Smith, has a few great videos on this topic, far better than mine. I link because i care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhY...c_BKNxRB7yfdRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7P6...c_BKNxRB7yfdRQ

Driver Friendly shirt FTW!
    Last edited by hullabelew; 12-03-2013 at 09:50 PM.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to hullabelew again.
    Too easy

OK AUTF. You have inspired me. I'm off to the used guitar shop to buy an acoustic 6 string for trying this stuff. I doubt I can find one as cool as yours but imma gonna try. Love the Elmore James stuff. Great work!

I've always wanted a campfire guitar anyway. Plus, one of those would be cool to just string with the high ends from a set of 12 strings. Some people call that Nashville tuning.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 12-04-2013 at 08:16 AM.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast