+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: The song you're playing on guitar

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    That live version you posted kicks ass BH and is, in fact, in A. I think they probably played the original in A, but they were either tuned down half a step or it got slowed down half a step during production. Now I want to speed the record up and hear how it sounds in A. Ill have acess to a record player that does that next Friday.

Watching the video I think you're right on how he chords the A & D, but I think he adds the root A on the low E string, 5th fret with his thumb ala Hendrix.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUTFan View Post
    That live version you posted kicks ass BH and is, in fact, in A. I think they probably played the original in A, but they were either tuned down half a step or it got slowed down half a step during production. Now I want to speed the record up and hear how it sounds in A. Ill have acess to a record player that does that next Friday.

Watching the video I think you're right on how he chords the A & D, but I think he adds the root A on the low E string, 5th fret with his thumb ala Hendrix.
    Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was adding the root A or just muting the low E string with his thumb. It looked to me like his thumb is placed beyond the 5th fret, so I guessed he wasn't fretting with it. Given that he's playing the open A, that made sense to me. But he certainly could be playing it -- it's hard to tell from the video.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Joe Walsh is a super stud with in comes to writing opening riffs.

a Rocker and a Roller AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan Shaggy Gold Club AnotherUTFan's Avatar
    Ya it's hard to tell, i guess you just gotta play it how it feels & sounds right to you. Thanks to ctc2 for bringing this one up. It must've been a sign that we need to do this song if I ever put together the band I want; I had just picked up the 45 of this song a few weeks ago and was already rediscovering it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHorn View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't tell if he was adding the root A or just muting the low E string with his thumb. It looked to me like his thumb is placed beyond the 5th fret, so I guessed he wasn't fretting with it. Given that he's playing the open A, that made sense to me. But he certainly could be playing it -- it's hard to tell from the video.
    I'm think he's playing the fretted A note on the E string with the body/joint of his thumb even though the rest of the thumb goes past the fifth fret. That's how I do it because it's too difficult to bend around the fleshy part of the thumb tip. I'd be surprised if he's letting the A string ring open because it isn't necessary given the thumb root, it would only work on the fifth fret and this is a common hand position used all over the neck, and it makes all of the muting trickier, but it's possible. Usually with this hand position the A is muted.. He's playing it pretty rough and dirty so I don't think he's being too precise about it all anyway. Lots of ways to make it work.
    Last edited by MajorTexasFan; 07-02-2014 at 11:47 AM.

asshat BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn Probably Shaggy upper class BrickHorn's Avatar
    Ya it's hard to tell, i guess you just gotta play it how it feels & sounds right to you.
    That is the truth.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Joe Walsh is a super stud WHEN it in comes to writing opening riffs.
    phuckin' phat phinger phone swype.

Anyway, Life's Been Good, Funk 49, All Night Long, and Life In The Fast Lane. (Hell, just about every song on James Gang Rides Again has a great guitar riff intro)

Then, add in the simple beauties of In The City, Rocky Mtn Way, Walk Away......maybe it is just because it is most all loud, crunchy guitars, but they are all about perfect.
    Last edited by hullabelew; 07-02-2014 at 02:25 PM.

Funny you mention that hulla, I got the opening riff to All Night Long stuck in my head about a month ago and it's been one of my warm songs since.

I've been reading this book about the history of the blues and its influence on rock 'n roll, and it has me back on a blues kick. So I've been spending some time learning "Double Crossing Time," in the vain hope that I'll start to internalize some of Clapton's phrasing mojo:

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Working on sultans of swing.

asshat OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur's Avatar
    Little 2-man front porch jam yesterday before fireworks show in Gallipolis, OH with some dude from Fort Wayne, IN strumming a nice Martin, me on the Ovation. Damn them Martins project some sound...

Take it Easy
    Blue Suede Shoes
    Knockin on Heaven's Door
    Used To Love Her
    Peaceful Easy Feeling
    Gimme Shelter
    Proud Mary
    Hard Day's Night

Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Working on sultans of swing.
    tbone - guitar techniques did a full breakdown on that song a few years ago. Included a cd with a full backing track plus several small, slowed down versions of the more difficult passages. There were matching tab breakdowns of said passages in the magazine along with the full transcription and written explanations of how Knoffler got certain sounds.

I imported the cd to iTunes. PM me your email and I'll forward them to you. If i can find the magazine around here i'll see if I can scan the relative pages for you. I offered the same to hulla a few years ago but he already had the same magazine.

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Awesome. Thanks. I'm getting some decent Knopfler vibe with the tele and the super.

I've been working up a yet more acoustic version of this

asshat ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2's Avatar
    I have been giving the Stones song "Worried About You" a go this week. I have it down but really wish I could figure out how to get the tone of the solo. It's Wayne Perkins playing. Anyone got an idea what effect it is? MXR 90?

Can't get it to embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tFmpn_y-s0

tbone - guitar techniques did a full breakdown on that song a few years ago. Included a cd with a full backing track plus several small, slowed down versions of the more difficult passages. There were matching tab breakdowns of said passages in the magazine along with the full transcription and written explanations of how Knoffler got certain sounds.

I imported the cd to iTunes. PM me your email and I'll forward them to you. If i can find the magazine around here i'll see if I can scan the relative pages for you. I offered the same to hulla a few years ago but he already had the same magazine.
    tbone, I found my copy of the magazine with the tabs if you want it.

I found mine this morning hula. Just about to scan it and send it over. If anybody else wants it just shoot me a PM.

Thanks man. I got the emails.

Quote Originally Posted by ctc2 View Post
    I have been giving the Stones song "Worried About You" a go this week. I have it down but really wish I could figure out how to get the tone of the solo. It's Wayne Perkins playing. Anyone got an idea what effect it is? MXR 90?

Can't get it to embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tFmpn_y-s0
    According to this random dude, that's the one: http://www.rocksoff.org/Archives/11-.../205070-1.html

asshat ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2 Shaggy Bronze Club ctc2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorTexasFan View Post
    According to this random dude, that's the one: http://www.rocksoff.org/Archives/11-.../205070-1.html
    I agree it probably is but I sure can't make it sound like that. Thanks.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Damn...The James Gang kicked all kinds of ass.
    Truth.

That's a badass trio right there. The rhythm section did an awesome job of filling the space when Joe was soloing/riffing.

I wish he kept producing music like that, rather than hitching his wagon to the Eagles. But at least we got the Hotel California solo duet with Felder out of it.

I $#@!ing love that live version. So much heavier, and so much more fun to play, than the studio recording.

I wish he kept producing music like that, rather than hitching his wagon to the Eagles. But at least we got the Hotel California solo duet with Felder out of it.
    Only good thing about this version is Felder's solo.

The long run has some tasty JW stuff on it.

Re: Walk Away Joe Walsh

Thanks to you guys who helped me work this out. Tonight I was just messing with the Google and found this which I had not seen from Winnie Texas.

I'm having a lot of fun lately playing along to Cream's "Sleepy Time Time." Not sure whether I'll bother to learn the solo note-for-note, though. I'm more interested in just picking up the flavor of Clapton's phrasing.

As an aside, I was never that impressed with Clapton when I was first learning guitar. But that was back in the 90's, when he was putting out boring coffee house music for aging hippies. So I never took the time to learn his stuff. After being put onto his early blues-oriented work with John Mayall and Cream, however, I'm hooked. The dude's playing is so crisp, and his phrasing is genius. He's probably my current favorite guitarist.

Brick has finally found God? ;)

asshat Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade's Avatar
    Working on eruption

Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
    Working on eruption
    Stay out of Guitar Center. Denied!

I got into the Grateful Dead a few months ago and it's virtually all I play now. Absolutely love Jerry Garcia's style of playing.

Banned unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker
    Working on eruption
    I saw your video, you really are good!

Link?

Banned unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker unklphucker
    Link?
    The Shag does not want to cooperate today, for whatever reason I am unable to right click and paste, and it is only on this website, at first I thought my mouse was acting up but no, it works just fine outside of here.

asshat Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade Definitely Shaggy upper class Jade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unklphucker View Post
    I saw your video, you really are good!
    Hey thanks! Gotta get another amp and I'll be back in business.

The Shag does not want to cooperate today, for whatever reason I am unable to right click and paste, and it is only on this website, at first I thought my mouse was acting up but no, it works just fine outside of here.
    Please don't, thanks

Well now he kinda has to. Rules and such.

Deleted

Deleted
    Ha! It's still there but at your request I won't post the link. Got to tell you you're better than the Austin legend in his own mind Romeo Rose! Reminds me a little bit of this guy that I know...

Last edited by unklphucker; 08-07-2014 at 09:09 PM.

Ha! It's still there but at your request I won't post the link. Got to tell you you're better than the Austin legend in his own mind Romeo Rose! Reminds me a little bit of this guy that I know...

Lol!!

Any of you folks play bluegrass?

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar
    Playing around with cowboy chord songs and trying to remember lyrics

I'm sort of used to "transcribing" chords to my mandolin, but can't catch a couple on "Valentine". What are the chords. Please and Thank you. Great job, and man you have already put a ton of hours on that Martin.

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    I wish, flat picking just isn't my thing.

Been somewhat obsessed lately with "Cath" by Death Cab for Cutie. Fun play-along song with a nice little opening riff.

I just picked up an instructional DVD on bluegrass flatpicking. We'll see if I can pick it up. So far it's weird shifting into the bluegrass style of alternate picking.

No, but I've smoked it!

asshat OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur's Avatar
    Watch Over You by Alter Bridge

Not tough to play, pain in the ass to tune to open G(guess I need another acoustic)

Singing is an entirely different matter...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WR4_chcwvoM

Clearly, the Onion has some amateur guitarists on staff: "Top Guitar Tabs We Learned in 2014."

I've enjoyed the performances posted by other Shagsters (AUTF, Celery, and OCSpur) throughout the various guitar threads, and I'm hoping sticking my neck out will inspire some of y'all to post more of your work. So here's my attempt at the Peter Green version of Freddie King's "The Stumble."

Who's up next?

I'd say you nailed it BH. Good stuff. What was the rig you were playing through, sounds great?

I always think that Jimmie Vaughan must've spent some time woodshedding to that version of that song, especially early. I hear a lot of it throughout the "Girls Go Wild" album. Which is to day you are in good company.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast