+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best credit card for rewards/services?

The Barclay Arrival card is pretty awesome. Flat 2% back on all purchases. 40,000 bonus sign up points ($400 value).
    When you redeem for travel expenses they refund 10% of points back to you, so that works out to 2.2% back effectively.
    To redeem points you just charge whatever it is to your card and apply the points to the charge after the fact. So you can book on any airline, though any agent, etc.
    The website flags any travel expense (hotel, airfare, train, etc) and it just takes a couple of clicks to apply points for credit back.
    It has an annual fee but they wave the first year and the bonus signup points would cover the next 4 years.

http://www.barclaycardarrival.com/pr...+arrival&pmt=b

This is why I gave up my Airline credit card. Frequent Flyer perks are a thing of the past.

http://news.yahoo.com/american-us-ai...--finance.html

asshat Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Tennesseehorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shnsajax View Post
    So Shaggy search does work.

Currently my wife and I use the Bank of America Platinum Privileges Card, we get 3% on gas, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. Then we get a 50% bonus on rewards deposited into our BoA accounts. Card works well, getting back about $2,200 once we cash these in.

Question is we will be moving to Boise pretty soon within the next 12 months probably. At that point, I think I want to switch to a Miles card simply because my family lives in South Texas.
    I know your response was earlier this year but Boise? Who did you piss off?

[quote Also is it worth it for a miles card in general vs what we already have? Got a Citi AAdvantage World Elite Offer for 75,000 miles, but has a $450 annual fee.[/QUOTE]

$450 annual fee? WTF? I don't know of ANY CC that is worth spending $450 year in an annual fee unless it gives you 4 UT football tix for two games.

Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    Miles cards have gone the same way as cash back cards. Which is to say, $#@!ty. We pay $95/year for our AA card. No problems getting that waived every year in the past, but I'm guessing there's no way they'd waive $450 unless you're Bill Gates or something.

We're dropping the card as soon as we buy a house, anyway. Even when you get miles, the flight times suck and they hit you with extra fees. Southwest might be better, but I doubt it.
    Southwest is the best program out there by far. I have had one since the early 90s and have never paid for a non-business airline ticket since then and I go back to Austin at least 3x a year and vacation 2x a year. No blackout dates, times etc EVER. If there is a seat on the plane it's yours (although the points for the last minute seats are higher most of the time but if you are booking at the last minute something tells me you wouldn't care about that).
    Last edited by Tennesseehorn; 08-30-2014 at 03:59 PM.

bunghole bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. bam's Avatar
    Southwest is the best program out there by far.

Almost exclusively domestic options and no premium seat classes are a deal breaker for some.

Also, I got (2) of the Citi AA cards, each with a 100k bonus. I happily paid the $900 in annual fees for 200k miles. Using em to take the wife First class to Rome and then Australia next winter, for the price of airport taxes.

If you get a 75,000+ mile offer from Citi AA (and its comfortably within your spending habits) you'd be foolish not to take em up on it. Especially if you travel internationally.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Southwest blows... You are forced to sit with the poors.

I have the Barclays Arrival card and the Sapphire Preferred cards for points.

Use Sapphire for restaurants and travel (2x points) and Barclays on everything else (2x points).

Then I redeem all points for travel to capture the yearly end of the year point rebate.

asshat shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax's Avatar
    What exactly is wrong with Boise? How long has it been since you've been their?

asshat bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova's Avatar
    When was Boise not awesome? It's been awesome as long as I can remember.

asshat shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    When was Boise not awesome? It's been awesome as long as I can remember.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by bam View Post
    Southwest is the best program out there by far.

Almost exclusively domestic options and no premium seat classes are a deal breaker for some.

Also, I got (2) of the Citi AA cards, each with a 100k bonus. I happily paid the $900 in annual fees for 200k miles. Using em to take the wife First class to Rome and then Australia next winter, for the price of airport taxes.

If you get a 75,000+ mile offer from Citi AA (and its comfortably within your spending habits) you'd be foolish not to take em up on it. Especially if you travel internationally.
    You missed the AA (2x) 50k card deal several years back with no fee + stmt credit + companion ticket. Best credit card deal I've landed.

bunghole gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses gaspar grows his own roses

Best credit card for rewards/services?

We use the Starwood AmEx. We take one nice vacation during the year and the points on the card usually pay for most of the hotel bill. We stayed at a $750/night hotel (St. Regis - Deer Valley or similar) for 4 nights for 120,000 points. So we got $3,000 worth of hotel for less than $120,000 spent (due to bonus points, etc), effectively earning better than 2.5%.
    Last edited by gaspar; 09-02-2014 at 12:16 AM.

asshat Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennesseehorn View Post
    I know your response was earlier this year but Boise? Who did you piss off?

$450 annual fee? WTF? I don't know of ANY CC that is worth spending $450 year in an annual fee unless it gives you 4 UT football tix for two games.

Southwest is the best program out there by far. I have had one since the early 90s and have never paid for a non-business airline ticket since then and I go back to Austin at least 3x a year and vacation 2x a year. No blackout dates, times etc EVER. If there is a seat on the plane it's yours (although the points for the last minute seats are higher most of the time but if you are booking at the last minute something tells me you wouldn't care about that).
    It's not actually $450. It comes with a $200 statement credit (for the first year, anyway) once you spend $200, so it's really only a $250 annual fee. And it comes with Admiral's Club access, which for a non-elite nonmember is, I believe, $500 for the year. So if you were going to want lounge access anyway, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

As far as WN being the best...no, at least not for most frequent flyers.

Fundamentally, a revenue-based system is going to be inferior almost by definition to one that isn't. The whole point of frequent flyer points is to get free flights, and depending on who you ask, to get free flights in a premium cabin. The best use of frequent flyer points is to use them when a plane ticket costs too much. The idea that I'd have to use more points when an airfare is more expensive totally defeats the purpose. If a flight is cheap, it almost always makes more sense to pay for the ticket and accrue more points.

Looking at a flight from BNA-AUS, you're looking at close to 20K points, which, booking the cheapest fares, would necessitate you spending over $3,000 just to get $320 worth of value. That is a pretty bad rate of return. Sure, the idea that any flight is eligible is great, but what's the point in being able to book any flight if the rate of return sucks?

This problem is compounded when a flight gets more expensive. For a program that doesn't marry its redemptions to the airfare, you can often find a sweet spot on flights that will cost you more. Southwest's program is really more like a flight coupon than it is anything else. It's the same principle with those credit cards that earn you points that can be redeemed not for actual program points, but for costs toward airfare.

And then there's the problem that using points for a domestic award just about anywhere is a total rip off, because airfares aren't that expensive. The sweet spot in just about all award charts is on long haul redemptions, especially in a premium cabin. Southwest gives you absolutely no ability to travel beyond the Caribbean, which I guess might work for some, but is totally worthless for me and lots of others. I can get a round trip from Austin to Puerto Rico for less than $300, so why would I use my hard-earned points for something like that when it will only knock off a little bit off the cost of a vacation?

I just spent 205,000 miles, which I value at 1.7 cents/mile (a little higher than the commonly accepted 1.5 cents/mile), meaning those points are "worth" ~$3,400. For that 205K miles, I got over $30K worth of plane tickets by redeeming for long haul flights in first/business class, which means I'm exceeding the value by a factor of almost 10. For a WN traveler to get points worth $3,400, using the BNA-AUS ratio of $/points ($0.016/point), they'd have to accrue 212500 points, which, assuming 10 points/$1 (I'm being generous here and assuming A-List), means they'd have to spend ~$21K. The problem is, there's no way to get a plane ticket for cheaper than what its worth using their system, because the cost in points goes up as the cost in dollars goes up.
    Last edited by Longhornmaniac8; 09-02-2014 at 01:08 AM.

Hi all, I hope you don't me bringing this thread back up. I lurk here mostly in the soccer/Einstein threads but thought I might be able to get some useful info. I signed up for the Citi DoubleCash card a few months ago, and so far I've managed to earn back about $150 which is nice, but the money I spent probably could have been put to better use with a travel rewards card. I fly at least once a year for personal use, so I'm struggling to figure out which card is better between the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Barclays Arrival Plus, or the Capital One Venture.

One concern I have with the CSP is that I would use this card for pretty much all transactions, and you only get 1x the points for things other than travel/dining, whereas the Barclays card gets you 2x back on everything.

The CSP appeals to me though because from what I understand, you can transfer points at a 1:1 ratio to any of its partners such as United and Southwest. I live near Charlotte, which is a USAir hub, but United still flies out of there. Not sure about Southwest though.

I'm also confused about how FF miles work. For instance, would 50,000 miles with USAir work the same as 50,000 miles with Delta or another carrier, and would they all translate to the same dollar amount (500?)

Thanks!

asshat tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IODeac View Post
    Hi all, I hope you don't me bringing this thread back up. I lurk here mostly in the soccer/Einstein threads but thought I might be able to get some useful info. I signed up for the Citi DoubleCash card a few months ago, and so far I've managed to earn back about $150 which is nice, but the money I spent probably could have been put to better use with a travel rewards card. I fly at least once a year for personal use, so I'm struggling to figure out which card is better between the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Barclays Arrival Plus, or the Capital One Venture.

One concern I have with the CSP is that I would use this card for pretty much all transactions, and you only get 1x the points for things other than travel/dining, whereas the Barclays card gets you 2x back on everything.

The CSP appeals to me though because from what I understand, you can transfer points at a 1:1 ratio to any of its partners such as United and Southwest. I live near Charlotte, which is a USAir hub, but United still flies out of there. Not sure about Southwest though.

I'm also confused about how FF miles work. For instance, would 50,000 miles with USAir work the same as 50,000 miles with Delta or another carrier, and would they all translate to the same dollar amount (500?)

Thanks!
    I don't really have an answer for you - in fact, I have another question but it may give you something else to think about. Do the miles credit cards give you "miles" that actually translate directly to the airlines' FF programs, or is "miles" just a code word for points?

Let me illustrate what I mean by example. I picked a random flight on United, IAH-SFO, over a weekend in May. Booking with United miles, it's 25,000 plus a small fee. Same flight is like $460 paying with cash. If Chase or Capital One or whoever gives you 25,000 United miles for spending $12,500 and you can use that to book the flight, it's a pretty good deal. But if you have to pay for the flight up front and then your 25,000 Capital One "miles" count $250 toward that, you'd be better off just sticking with the Citi DoubleCash, right?

That's probably clear as mud but from what I understand, any "miles" that you get from Chase/Barclays/Capital One/whoever need to translate into an actual airline program (MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, etc). If it's basically just cash back that you can only spend on travel, it's not that great of a deal at all.

Just curious, did you get a signup bonus on your DoubleCash (e.g., earn $200 after spending $3k in the first 3 months or whatever)? I've been waiting for an offer like that.

I don't really have an answer for you - in fact, I have another question but it may give you something else to think about. Do the miles credit cards give you "miles" that actually translate directly to the airlines' FF programs, or is "miles" just a code word for points?

Let me illustrate what I mean by example. I picked a random flight on United, IAH-SFO, over a weekend in May. Booking with United miles, it's 25,000 plus a small fee. Same flight is like $460 paying with cash. If Chase or Capital One or whoever gives you 25,000 United miles for spending $12,500 and you can use that to book the flight, it's a pretty good deal. But if you have to pay for the flight up front and then your 25,000 Capital One "miles" count $250 toward that, you'd be better off just sticking with the Citi DoubleCash, right?

That's probably clear as mud but from what I understand, any "miles" that you get from Chase/Barclays/Capital One/whoever need to translate into an actual airline program (MileagePlus, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, etc). If it's basically just cash back that you can only spend on travel, it's not that great of a deal at all.

Just curious, did you get a signup bonus on your DoubleCash (e.g., earn $200 after spending $3k in the first 3 months or whatever)? I've been waiting for an offer like that.
    I think for the Sapphire, it's actually a 1:1 translation, so from what I understand 40K miles through Chase could go a lot farther if you apply them to a FF program. With the Barclay's card, it's more like points redeemed towards a statement credit. So for example if you book a $400 flight through Travelocity using your Barclays card, you could apply your 40K points towards a statement credit.

There wasn't a signup bonus for my Doublecash card unfortunately...I got it right around October and it's relatively new, so maybe they will offer that in the future? It's not a bad card at all, and it's nice to get some rewards from being responsible with credit. Prior to that, I put everything on a debit card.

asshat 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class

Thanks!
    think of each unit as a different currency.

with chase ultimate reward point being the euro, us air mile being the dollar, and a delta skymile being a russian ruble. or peso.

generally the strongest currencies are starwood hotel points, amex points, and chase points. i prefer the last one.

its preferable to keep these credit card points because they can more easily be transferred into miles, rather than the other way around. e.g. if there is a lufthansa business class flight from houston to frankfurt, air canada might offer it for 80,000 miles and united might charge 100,000 miles. in that case, you would want to transfer your amex/chase points to AC for the redemption.

asshat 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class 5280 Probably Shaggy upper class

airline-affiliated/co-branded credit cards will earn miles for that particular airline program.
    general credit cards will earn points.

usually you want to use a general credit cards for everything. but use the airline credit card for buying fares on that airlines, as they often have earning multipliers like 2x or 3x

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    I fly at least once a year for personal use, so I'm struggling to figure out which card is better between the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Barclays Arrival Plus, or the Capital One Venture.
    I have both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Barclays Arrival Plus.

I use the Chase one every time we eat out, buy travel related items (flights, rental cars, etc), or do online shopping through their site (REI gives you 5 pts per dollar if you go through the Chase site to the rei.com site for example). This ensures that I always get at least 2 miles per $ spent on chase.

For everything else, I use the Barclays card, which is always 2 miles per $.

Chase is great for redeeming for travel, as the points transfer 1 for 1 to any airline. OR you can also buy the flights at a discount through their reward booking tool... (for example, a $400 flight might cost 35K points instead of 40k points).

Barclays is basically cash back card for travel expenses. I used it to reimburse me for all of my Uber rides or things like that. Barclays also instantly gives you back a 10% point rebate when you reimburse your travel expenses through their card.
    Last edited by LongIslandIceSIP; 01-07-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    I have both the Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Barclays Arrival Plus.

I use the Chase one every time we eat out, buy travel related items (flights, rental cars, etc), or do online shopping through their site (REI gives you 5 pts per dollar if you go through the Chase site to the rei.com site for example). This ensures that I always get at least 2 miles per $ spent on chase.

For everything else, I use the Barclays card, which is always 2 miles per $.

Chase is great for redeeming for travel, as the points transfer 1 for 1 to any airline. OR you can also buy the flights at a discount through their reward booking tool... (for example, a $400 flight might cost 35K points instead of 40k points).

Barclays is basically cash back card for travel expenses. I used it to reimburse me for all of my Uber rides or things like that. Barclays also instantly gives you back a 10% point rebate when you reimburse your travel expenses through their card.
    Thanks...for me it's one or the other since I don't spend enough in three months to cover the requirements to get both bonuses (4K for CSP and 3K for Barclays). Right now I'm leaning towards the CSP since I like the idea of getting more bang for your buck by transferring miles, and/or getting a flat 20% discount when booking through Ultimate Rewards. On the other hand, getting double points for everything through the Barclays card is hard to resist...maybe it evens out across both cards.

Thanks...for me it's one or the other since I don't spend enough in three months to cover the requirements to get both bonuses (4K for CSP and 3K for Barclays). Right now I'm leaning towards the CSP since I like the idea of getting more bang for your buck by transferring miles, and/or getting a flat 20% discount when booking through Ultimate Rewards. On the other hand, getting double points for everything through the Barclays card is hard to resist...maybe it evens out across both cards.
    If I had to choose one, I'd probably keep the CSP.

Barclays is cool at 2.2% cash back (with the 10% instant rebate on points)... but it's just cash back (statement credit/reimbursement on travel expenses).

Chase gives you more flexibility to use miles/points on Airlines, hotels, or their discount travel tool... which sometimes makes more sense than straight cash back... specially for planning a trip.

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Just saw an article on this today. The Barclays card was well rated, but the Amex Blue Cash seems amazing:

http://www.nextadvisor.com/blog/2013...ellent-credit/

Only bad thing about the list is that its really a best if you're a new customer card list. I already have a Slate card and the on-going benefits are nothing special.

Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express: This is such a great cash back card that I have one. Cardholders earn 6% cash back at supermarkets (up to $6K in purchases), 3% on gas and at department stores and 1% on everything else. The 3% cash back at department stores is sure to come in handy this holiday season, as will the 6% at supermarkets if you're hosting any holiday dinners or have guests visiting. Plus you'll get a $100 intro bonus and one year of Amazon Prime after spending $1,000 on purchases with your new Card in the first three months – that's a 15% cash back bonus on the first $1,000 you spend! In addition you'll enjoy a 0% 15-month intro APR on purchases and balance transfers. There is a $75 annual fee, but depending upon your spending patterns this card should easily pay for itself and then some. If you want a similar card that has no annual fee, check out Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express, which has the same 15-month 0% APR but lower cash back rates and a slightly lesser intro bonus.
    What I would like to see would be a site that allows you to put in what you spent over the last year per category, if you're carrying a balance (and at what rate), how often you pay it off, etc. and then evaluates all these cards based on that to show you what your prior year would look like. THAT would be very useful.
    Last edited by Hellraiser97; 01-07-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Has anyone done a comparison between booking flights/hotels through Chase's Ultimate Rewards website (with 20% discount) compared to sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc? I'm just curious if Chase charges a premium for booking through UR, which would negate the 20% discount you would get.

Do any of the aforementioned Amex have the 90 day purchase protection? We've had the USAA Amex for a few years for just that reason. We put large purchases on it. Now they've taken that away and offer identity theft protection instead. So we're looking. I like the sound of the Starwood one.

Has anyone done a comparison between booking flights/hotels through Chase's Ultimate Rewards website (with 20% discount) compared to sites like Expedia, Travelocity, etc? I'm just curious if Chase charges a premium for booking through UR, which would negate the 20% discount you would get.
    the best deal are using corporate rates.

hint: doesnt have to be YOUR employer

I've checked and the Chase Ultimate Rewards website shows the same base price as Kayak or Expedia (in dollars) but 20% "cheaper" if you buy with points

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    I've checked and the Chase Ultimate Rewards website shows the same base price as Kayak or Expedia (in dollars) but 20% "cheaper" if you buy with points
    Nice. We have the Freedom card and have been racking up points, but I thought that the airfair thing was just a statement reimbursement. Will have to check that for my next flight.

edit: Well I gave it a shot and didn't get any luck on my first try. Looked at a flight from LGA to DFW on 1/24 returned 1/31 and the price was 0.80 lower on Ultimate Rewards using points.

Tried going out another month and no dice, still just 0.80 cheaper. Both were American flights, is it only certain airlines that give you the deduction?

Edit: well did a bit of googling and apparently that's only if you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card.
    Last edited by Hellraiser97; 01-08-2015 at 04:23 PM.

asshat erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair's Avatar
    little bump...

i have been using cabelas black card for years but i need a new card. chase SP seems to be good but wanted opinions from my favorite $#@!s. i dont travel much for work, maybe $10k-$15k per year max. ill use this card for gas, shopping, personal travel, normal living expenses stuff. i want a card with different options (in other words, i dont want to be locked in to using it for airline/hotel/travel stuff), cash back, other shopping rewards, etc are more important than travel. fico 829 (hbrag?) so hopefully i should qualify for any card out there if that matters. citi double cash and chase SP are the only two i have looked at.

asshat ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow Shaggy Bronze Club ghow's Avatar
    If you don't want to over think it, then citi double cash is about as good as it gets.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ghow View Post
    If you don't want to over think it, then citi double cash is about as good as it gets.
    I got one for my first CC. Pretty much 2% back on everything when all is said and done, plus 15 months no interest to start and no annual fee. I'm going to try and get a card more geared toward travel rewards next, but baby steps for me.

asshat tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak's Avatar
    Agree that Citi Double Cash seems like the best deal going right now if you don't have specific travel goals and just want a single card.

Barclaycard Arrival might be another option.

Banned droski droski droski droski droski droski droski droski droski droski droski
    Quote Originally Posted by dahobbs View Post
    Well you hate amex so this suggestion will be ignored, but I use the amex blue cash preferred. 6% at grocery stores, 3 percent at gas stations, 1 percent back anywhere else. Most grocery stores have gift cards for everything so it can pretty much be 6 percent back anywhere. Amazon and Southwest gift cards are the best.
    this is the right answer.

get a chase freedom card for the $#@!s who don't take American express

asshat erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair's Avatar
    ok, went with CSP, approved with healthy credit limit. called and told them i need the card asap to book a biz trip and they said they would overnight today. i have heard their service is top notch, so far so good.

it was kinda a weird feeling, first CC i have applied for in probably 10 years.

I need a VISA to shop at Costco after June 20. Currently I have Amex and an REI MC in my wallet (my "we don't take Amex" card). The MC used to be a VISA, but they changed it a while ago, so now I need a VISA as well.

Should I just get the Costco VISA (I can't figure out how to even apply for the $#@!ing thing - seems it's only for those who have the Costco Amex right now), or go with something else? Amex will remain my primary card, so this won't get a ton of use. Probably a few hundred bucks a month, max. Does anyone know how to apply for the Costco VISA right now? The people at the store know nothing and the website won't point me towards applying for a card.

asshat skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj's Avatar

Best credit card for rewards/services?

Last edited by skipperj; 06-08-2016 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skipperj View Post
    They had flyers at the store on applying over the weekend.
    Maybe I'll stop by on my way home. I haven't been in a week or so.

asshat skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj Definitely Shaggy upper class skipperj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Maybe I'll stop by on my way home. I haven't been in a week or so.
    Check that. See above. Those were just for existing cardholders of the AMEX.

You can always use debit until then if you want the Costco card.

Check that. See above. Those were just for existing cardholders of the AMEX.

You can always use debit until then if you want the Costco card.
    Don't have (or want) a debit card. I'll have to go get cash to be able to shop there. I can't figure out why they won't take new applications yet.

I picked up one of the things you're talking about a week or so ago. But it is worthless unless you already have a Costco Amex, which I don't.

Does it have to be the Costco visa? If not chase sapphire or freedom unlimited are the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by hookem98 View Post
    Does it have to be the Costco visa? If not chase sapphire or freedom unlimited are the way to go
    No, it doesn't have to be, although it sounds like the rewards beat just about anything out there, and there is no fee.

asshat wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoogityBoy View Post
    Same here. Run all monthly expenses through venture and stockpile for family getaway.
    Exactly what I'm doing. Love this card and how easy it is to use the rewards for travel. Over 360,000 miles now. Might use it to take the fam to NZ or Europe in the next year or two.

asshat wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood Shaggy Gold Club wood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    Scams, all.

So we think the big banks are evil and greedy, but that their 'rewards' programs are benevolent and not at all slanted towards manipulating our purchasing habits away from our traditional cost analysis of price, value, quality, and customer service? Okay. Makes perfect sense.
    I just use one card to pay for everything. It doesn't change the way I spend or analyse things in the pre-purchase decision-making process.

Unless I'm reading you wrong, that's only a 1% return, which you can get as cash back all day long. Am I missing something?
    It's a 2% return. At least my CapOne Venture card is. 2 miles for every dollar spent. Each mile = a penny, as Baggy said.

Lulz at the BOA Alaska Visa. They must be offering some good affiliate payouts.

That Costco card though... 4% cash-back on gas, and 3% on restaurants and travel, along with no annual fee, is about as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by wood View Post
    It's a 2% return. At least my CapOne Venture card is. 2 miles for every dollar spent. Each mile = a penny, as Baggy said.
    If you want 2%, just get a Citi DoubleCash. Same return, more flexible, and no annual fee.

bunghole CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Six View Post
    If you want 2%, just get a Citi DoubleCash. Same return, more flexible, and no annual fee.
    I have the Venture Card as well and enjoy the ease of 2% on all purchases. I didn't know about the Citi DoubleCash. It looks like it's basically the same as the Venture Card but without the $60 annual fee. I guess I should switch and save myself $60 every year.

Quote Originally Posted by CDAK View Post
    I have the Venture Card as well and enjoy the ease of 2% on all purchases. I didn't know about the Citi DoubleCash. It looks like it's basically the same as the Venture Card but without the $60 annual fee. I guess I should switch and save myself $60 every year.
    Or, if you're too lazy to actually switch, call Capital One and say "reimburse my annual fee or else I'm switching to Citi DoubleCash". There is about a 99.999999756% chance that they will do it.

asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    I use Discover IT, Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire. Each quarter they seem to rotate the 5% categories for restaurants, gas and groceries. A random quarter of home improvement stores. Of the 3, only Sapphire has an annual fee. And Sapphire allows you to purchase reward travel at a 20% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    I use Discover IT, Chase Freedom and Chase Sapphire. Each quarter they seem to rotate the 5% categories for restaurants, gas and groceries. A random quarter of home improvement stores. Of the 3, only Sapphire has an annual fee. And Sapphire allows you to purchase reward travel at a 20% discount.
    The discount is only if you go through the Ultimate Rewards site. You always need to double-check that the UR site's prices are, in fact, 20 percent less than the price you would get through the airline's own site.

The UR site does have great deals on rental cars; we got a convertible Mustang in Hawaii during spring break for 24,000 points. I don't know if we could have gotten a sub-compact for $240/week anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by CDAK View Post
    I don't get charged the fee. It's a Signature card but I dunno if that accounts for the difference.
    Last edited by wood; 06-09-2016 at 03:24 PM.

bunghole CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wood View Post
    I don't get charged the fee. It's a Signature card but I dunno if that accounts for the difference.
    Interesting. I didn't know what a "Signature card" was but I Googled it and it's some type of Visa card. Maybe that's why you don't have the annual fee - not sure. Capital One certainly markets the card as having a $60 annual fee. Mine is a MasterCard and I've had it for probably 10 years. Allegedly, it's a World Elite MasterCard but I have no idea what that gets me. Occasionally they send me marketing for some ridiculous resorts in far flung locales for more money than I can afford.

For some non-logical reason, I'm semi-partial to the card, so I'll probably go with tokamak's suggestion and call Capital One and threaten to switch to the Citi DoubleCash unless they waive the fee (hopefully they don't call my bluff).

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast