+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best credit card for rewards/services?

Baller.

asshat handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? handcruser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
    If your credit utilization, history of credit length, and history of making on time payments are good like they should be, hard inquiries aren't going to ding your credit score.

Mine:
    Experian 728
    Transunion 709
    Equifax 707

(I use myfico which gives me access to all three credit bureaus and notifies me of any changes on my credit report)

I'll be in the 800's once I decrease my credit utlizaton.
    No you won't. That's not how it works.

Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    We're not really comparing credit scores now, are we? Seems a little Rocko-esque.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
    If your credit utilization, history of credit length, and history of making on time payments are good like they should be, hard inquiries aren't going to ding your credit score.

Mine:
    Experian 728
    Transunion 709
    Equifax 707

(I use myfico which gives me access to all three credit bureaus and notifies me of any changes on my credit report)

I'll be in the 800's once I decrease my credit utlizaton.
    I rest my case.

asshat tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak's Avatar
    Do we need a churning meta thread? I've thought about getting into it at various times in the past, but once you start searching Google, the amount of info out there is really overwhelming (and frequently outdated, as well).

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post
    Just to clarify, are you saying that Hyatt points in and of themselves are a bad deal or that transferring MR points to Hyatt is a bad deal? I've found that outside of SPG points Hyatt offers the greatest value, although obviously airfare beats hotel overall...
    The transfer itself. Hyatt is a fine chain with several really nice properties. Their problem is lack of presence. I can find a Starwood or Hilton hotel virtually anywhere I'd like to go, so those are my go-to programs. (Moreso Hilton lately because they keep throwing me points on exploiting their program) I started off with Hyatt. I used to check-in to a $59/night Hyatt House in Addison on my lunch break at work and rinse and repeat every other day for two weeks straight without ever stepping foot into the room. They had a promo that you got a free night at any Hyatt worldwide after every stay and if you stayed 5 nights, you got 25,000 AA points. So I parlayed that into 3 nights at the Hyatt Paris Vendome, which books for $1000+ A night for less than $120/night. Plus, I got one-way airfare to Paris to boot. I did a similar thing with Radisson a few years back where I gave away a few rooms to family and Shaggy-folk provided they transferred the points earned to me. Now I can't seem to get rid of Club Carlson points and am building up a treasure chest for London next summer. Radisson properties in Europe are quite nice and offer good value. (I've heard the same for Asia but can't confirm)

However, transferring points to a hotel is generally a wasted value. On the change, you can have 3 nights at a top tier Hyatt hotel or 1 round trip business, or 2 coach seats, to Europe. I find hotel points easier to accumulate than airline miles. Especially now that mileage runs are going the way of the dodo and more carriers are switching to the revanue for miles model. But, it's all in the eye of the beholder. I had a really awful transfer a few years back that still haunts me.

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    Do we need a churning meta thread? I've thought about getting into it at various times in the past, but once you start searching Google, the amount of info out there is really overwhelming (and frequently outdated, as well).
    We had one a while ago when I first started getting into it. But, it is now full of outdated information. I'll type something up tonight and post in GM Steakhouse so that I don't muck up this thread too much.

Yawner Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by handcruser View Post
    No you won't. That's not how it works.

Jesus.
    That's exatly how it works... In my case. However everyone is different.

I have enough credit history, number of accounts, on time payments, diversification of credit, etc. that literally the only thing holding up my score is credit utilization.

It isn't rocket science. That's a screenshot of my myfico simulator.

1. Establish long history of credit
    2. Make sure every payment is done on time
    3. Diversify your accounts with installment loans and revolving credit and mortgages
    4. Have x number of accounts
    5. Keep credit utlization low on revolving credit
    6. Don't make too many hard credit inquiries at one time

That's it, you could literally google that.
    Last edited by Rocko20; 09-12-2016 at 06:10 PM.

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    Depends how smart you are. My credit rating is 801
    So closing said account doesn't ding it? Or are we talking about one "churn" account with X number of other accounts that stay open?

It's the inquiry/open/close hits that spook me with this.

asshat brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club
    Like chewy, I have no interest in going overseas. However, I fly probably 15 or so round trips a year and would probably trade out driving a couple of trips for flying if I got points flights. Does this card make sense if you're really only going domestically if I'm already using the Sapphire Prefererred card? I probably average $12,000+ a month in charges.

Quote Originally Posted by brew View Post
    Like chewy, I have no interest in going overseas. However, I fly probably 15 or so round trips a year and would probably trade out driving a couple of trips for flying if I got points flights. Does this card make sense if you're really only going domestically if I'm already using the Sapphire Prefererred card? I probably average $12,000+ a month in charges.
    3x points on travel and dining vs 2x for preferred. At your spend level, that alone probably makes it worthwhile. With the 300/yr travel credit, it only costs 55 more per year, and that is not counting the global entry refund or priority pass access.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
    So closing said account doesn't ding it? Or are we talking about one "churn" account with X number of other accounts that stay open?

It's the inquiry/open/close hits that spook me with this.
    There are ways around the credit dings. First off, a ding lasts about 3 months on your total score. If you are making a large purchase like a house or car, you need to put your churning plans on hold. Secondly, there is a grace period where getting multiple inquiries from the same institution will only result in one hard pull. There's something called the browser trick that you can apply here for applying for multiple cards from the same bank.

But, I posted in GM, so probably best to get into it there.

Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    Churning is not what it was just a couple of years ago. With the new Chase implemented rules and others (American Express) changing rules as well any churning had better be done with a well planned out strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by VABuckeye View Post
    Churning is not what it was just a couple of years ago. With the new Chase implemented rules and others (American Express) changing rules as well any churning had better be done with a well planned out strategy.
    I still get monthly e-mails with my Amex Serve statement. I shed a tear and remember the good times, like when I told the lady at the Barton Creek Square Mall that I was buying $1,500 in gift cards with my Citi AAdvantage card for Ashley Madison.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    from the flyertalk board: Uber rides are reimbursed by the $300 travel credit for Sapphire Reserve.

too bad that doesn't mean JACK $#@! IN AUSTIN TEXAS!

Fasten is too. Already have been credited.

purveyor of taste huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge has a gigantic e-peen. huge's Avatar
    Anyone have a good use for my 150,000 AMEX points? Currently just use them for Amazon.

And should I upgrade my Gold to Platinum?

asshat brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club brew Shaggy Silver Club
    3x points on travel and dining vs 2x for preferred. At your spend level, that alone probably makes it worthwhile. With the 300/yr travel credit, it only costs 55 more per year, and that is not counting the global entry refund or priority pass access.
    Went ahead and signed up. I've had two Sapphire cards for years. I traded one out for the Preferred card a couple months ago and then called today and got the Reserve card to transfer the credit limit too from the other one and close it.

asshat RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24's Avatar
    Just got one and it didn't have metal. Sad panda.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderzX24 View Post
    Just got one and it didn't have metal. Sad panda.

Me, too. Read online that the plastic is temporary until they get more metal blanks in stock.

Went ahead and signed up. I've had two Sapphire cards for years. I traded one out for the Preferred card a couple months ago and then called today and got the Reserve card to transfer the credit limit too from the other one and close it.
    Don't close the other two cards. Do a product change into a Freedom and Freedom Unlimited. Both cards have no annual fee and they earn bonus points that can be transferred to your new Reserve card. This will also keep your average age of account higher and help your credit score.

Me, too. Read online that the plastic is temporary until they get more metal blanks in stock.
    They told me today that they did not have a timeline on when the metal cards will be available. She said they would email me when they shipped them and they would send overnight.

yeah, for those of you that are getting the reserve (and already have the preferred), downgrade the preserve to a chase freedom and pay attention to the quarterly bonuses through the chase portal.

depending on the quarter, you can get up to 5% back (or better, 5 points per dollar spent) in select categories. for example, in the current quarter, you get 5% on any restaurant charges or on costco/sams/wholesale clubs charges.

and then, instead of using whatever you have in your freedom account for cashback, transfer it to ultimate rewards

side note...i've had the CSR for approx 3 weeks or so and applied for global entry a week or two ago.

well, my application has conditonally approved or whatever they call it. basically, i need to schedule my interview, but there is $#@!ing NOTHING available in austin.

i basically select austin and it says "haha no". dallas and houston have availability pretty much within a few days.

asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    Quote Originally Posted by lazytexasfan View Post
    yeah, for those of you that are getting the reserve (and already have the preferred), downgrade the preserve to a chase freedom and pay attention to the quarterly bonuses through the chase portal.

depending on the quarter, you can get up to 5% back (or better, 5 points per dollar spent) in select categories. for example, in the current quarter, you get 5% on any restaurant charges or on costco/sams/wholesale clubs charges.

and then, instead of using whatever you have in your freedom account for cashback, transfer it to ultimate rewards
    +1 Freedom and sapphire are good cards to use together in this way. I miss the days when they also gave you a ultimate reward bump when you had a chase checking account. But that deal is gone now.

May look into that since I have the Preferred card that's not going to get much use now. The only problem is that I know I wouldn't keep up with it.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazytexasfan View Post
    side note...i've had the CSR for approx 3 weeks or so and applied for global entry a week or two ago.

well, my application has conditonally approved or whatever they call it. basically, i need to schedule my interview, but there is $#@!ing NOTHING available in austin.

i basically select austin and it says "haha no". dallas and houston have availability pretty much within a few days.
    if you check back every couple of days there will usually be spots that open up in Austin

I am far from a travel hack and have no desire to turn into one. I use my Fidelity VISA for everything. It gets me 2% cash back into my fidelity account. However, I've been thinking about getting a travel points card because I'm getting married and have some traveling coming up as a result.

I signed up for the Capital One Venture card. I chose it because I can use it on any travel expense and I'll probably end up getting a non-chain hotel on the honeymoon. I was also looking at the Chase Sapphire Preferred card, but was worried that we'll go somewhere that I can't get to easily on United or SWA and thus be unable to use the points on airfare or hotel.

The Capital One card has been sitting in the envelope for a couple weeks because I can't decide if it's the right choice. If we go to Mexico, I can get both round trips on SWA with the Chase bonus points alone. We're also planning to go to Italy the year after, so I might be able to save points for that. Does anyone have an opinion on the Capital One card vs the Chase card for my situation? If I go with a different card, does it hurt my credit score to cancel a card/account that has never been activated or used?

One final wrinkle is that I get companion pass on SWA with another 75,000 miles. A 50k point bonus would leave me with 25k more to go. I think I can get another 15k in work travel by the end of the year. That gets me real close. Maybe I should consider a SWA RR Visa card?
    Last edited by drewlaws; 09-14-2016 at 09:58 AM.

asshat victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? victory88's Avatar
    Okay... Just got the sapphire reserve. So how do I get credited for global entry and priority pass? Just sign up and pay the fee and then chase credits the account?

Quote Originally Posted by victory88 View Post
    Okay... Just got the sapphire reserve. So how do I get credited for global entry and priority pass? Just sign up and pay the fee and then chase credits the account?
    You just apply for Global Entry and pay the fee with your Reserve card. Chase will automatically credit your account for the fee. For Priority Pass you have to activate it first and then you will receive the card in the mail. Go to your online account and select the Reserve account. At the top right is a drop-down box "Things you can do". Click that and select "Card Benefits". Click on the activate button for "Airport Lounge Access".

I've got a CSR and Freedom. Should my next step be opening an Ink card to get 5X thru GC's? I am only at 1/24.

asshat Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius's Avatar
    1. What city do you live in?
    2. Where do you travel most often?
    3. What % of that 12K is (a) restaurants (b) hotels (c) rent cars (d) everything else?
    4. Are you married / do you have a steady chick/dude (NTTAWWT) that you do most of your vacation travel with?

Depending on the above, it might be good to split that spend between a Chase SWA card and one of the Chase Ultimate Reward cards (Sapphire/Ink/Freedom)...

asshat stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by benson32 View Post
    I've got a CSR and Freedom. Should my next step be opening an Ink card to get 5X thru GC's? I am only at 1/24.
    The Ink also gives 5% cash back on cell phone , Internet, home phone, and office supplies. That alone may make it worth it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius View Post

Depending on the above, it might be good to split that spend between a Chase SWA card and one of the Chase Ultimate Reward cards (Sapphire/Ink/Freedom)...
    What's the advantage of having a Chase SWA card and another travel rewards card together (Sapphire, Reserve, whatever)? As opposed to just, say, a Reserve and then transferring points to my SWA Rapid Rewards account?

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    What's the advantage of having a Chase SWA card and another travel rewards card together (Sapphire, Reserve, whatever)? As opposed to just, say, a Reserve and then transferring points to my SWA Rapid Rewards account?
    The only reason you might want to use a Chase SW card (other than for initial bonus) is if you need SW miles to hit companion pass or need tier qualifying miles to hit A-List or A-List+. Transferred points from Chase do not count towards companion pass or A-List. All Chase points earned on SW card do count towards companion pass. You also earn 1,500 tier qualifying miles (not redeemable miles) for every $10,000 spent on the Premiere version of the Chase card.

asshat Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    Pretty much what the post right above me says as far as the transfer.

If I were brew I would use the SWA card only enough to rack up the 110K needed (and hotels/rent cars earn 2:1), then switch over to one of the UR cards due to their flexibility. However, if you live in a place where SWA isn't as prominent and/or convenient as far as destinations, I'd probably just stick with an UR card. Similarly, since you can only change the named companion 3 times over the life of the companion pass, it's not as great a deal if you don't travel with the same person on your award flights....

I usually fly Southwest because I can get pretty much anywhere direct from Nashville while the other airlines route through their hubs. There are occasions where I'll fly one of the other 3 if they have a direct flight for the same price or serve a better airport. I'm flying American this week because I want to go into O'Hare instead of Midway and Delta in two weeks when we go to Turks.

I'll look into the SW card. I need to look and see how much my wife flies with me. Hitting 110k would not be an issue and the companion pass may be worth more if we take several trips a year on Southwest. We're looking at beach houses, so that companion pass may be even better for me because we could fly for my cost only rather than driving.

I have another question on the companion pass, do I get to use the 110k miles like normal and the companion pass is just a bonus or do I have to basically cash them in for the pass? I think we fly together on Southwest about 5 times a year. There are probably a couple other flights I could change to Southwest and make it work. The current flights work out to roughly $1,600 a year for her flights on Southwest and if we get the house we'll be flying more often.

I have another question on the companion pass, do I get to use the 110k miles like normal and the companion pass is just a bonus or do I have to basically cash them in for the pass? I think we fly together on Southwest about 5 times a year. There are probably a couple other flights I could change to Southwest and make it work. The current flights work out to roughly $1,600 a year for her flights on Southwest and if we get the house we'll be flying more often.
    Companion pass is a status. You keep your points. I've had CP for 4 years and it is extremely valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by CooterBrown View Post
    Companion pass is a status. You keep your points. I've had CP for 4 years and it is extremely valuable.
    You have to hit 110k every year to keep it going though right?

Correct.

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    Per previous discussion above, once you hit the mark it counts for the remainder of the calendar year and the next calendar year. Check page 1 or 2 for the low down on when best to hit to get almost 2 years a pop.

How soon will you see the 100k Chase points in your account after hitting 4k spend? Does the statement have to close and payment subsequently clear?
    Last edited by benson32; 09-20-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benson32 View Post
    How soon will you see the 100k Chase points in your account after hitting 4k spend? Does the statement have to close and payment subsequently clear?
    Technically they have 4-6 weeks after the statement that you hit 110k on closes, but the two times I've done it the points hit immediately on the closing date....

Quote Originally Posted by stunns38 View Post
    I was just approved for the Sapphire reserve. $300 in instant travel credits before the end of 2016 and another $300 for 2017 makes the $450 annual justifiable alone.
    CSR card just arrived and I intend to play that exact game just in time for holiday travel. Card sounds too good to be true, but more than lives up to the hype.

Anyone on the fence should probably get in before the calendar year flips over. That 100K points might drop a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by stunns38 View Post
    I was just approved for the Sapphire reserve. $300 in instant travel credits before the end of 2016 and another $300 for 2017 makes the $450 annual justifiable alone.

So, would transferring those points to SW Rapid Rewards be a good value?

If you don't use the full $300 before the end of the year is it gone or does it roll over? I'd assume it's gone.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Used my 2016 $300 a few months ago.

Today I had a $60 uber ride comped. I guess they are comping my 2017 $300 a month early.

asshat El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri's Avatar
    yup got $300 already comped when i paid a deposit on our disney trip. about to hit the $4k spend so we'll see how soon the points post. after new years, paying off remaining balance on disney trip to get an additional $300 comped.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    Used my 2016 $300 a few months ago.

Today I had a $60 uber ride comped. I guess they are comping my 2017 $300 a month early.
    So this automatically shows up in your online account a few days later as a travel credit? For an Amex travel card I have, they make you call in. Guessing CSR does it by Merchant code.

Quote Originally Posted by DalBear View Post
    So this automatically shows up in your online account a few days later as a travel credit? For an Amex travel card I have, they make you call in. Guessing CSR does it by Merchant code.
    It automatically credits or at least it did with mine.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DalBear View Post
    Yep. Automatically and immediately credited in the statement based on travel merchant code.

So, for example:
    -12/7/2016 Uber $60
    -12/7/2016 Statement travel credit ($60).

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast