+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Best credit card for rewards/services?

asshat HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club HoustonHorn Shaggy Bronze Club

asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonHorn View Post
    One of the better deals offered in while. Even if you drop the card after a year, you can easily get almost $2K in travel benefits for the $450 annual fee.

fyi, the 100k ends today only if you are applying online

you can still apply at a chase branch through march and get that 100k offer

asshat Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    One of the better deals offered in while. Even if you drop the card after a year, you can easily get almost $2K in travel benefits for the $450 annual fee.
    I would argue this is wildly underselling this deal. I don't think you could find a card deal ever that surpasses this deal. Anyone with their wits about them should be able to turn the $450 annual fee into a $150 gain by double dipping on the $300 travel credit. If you were really smart about your timing, you could actually triple dip.

Beyond that, the only offer that compares is when Amex sends out the 100K offers, though it's rare and often targeted. Point for point, Amex points are worth a bit more because they have more/better transfer partners, but since their offer is generally 50K, this offer greatly surpasses it. I think the Amex extra curriculars are a bit better, but they don't make up for the huge difference in points.

asshat Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco's Avatar
    Thanks for the reminder... picked her up just in time!

bunghole dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick's Avatar
    Just happened to be researching cards today and had been considering the Sapphire Reserve for a while. I've previously been a Chase SWA Signature only and now my plan is to use that for SWA purchases only.

Just pulled the trigger on the 100k bonus point deal. What am I really getting with this besides some international travel and bonus points? What does the $300 travel credit mean and how would I double dip to take advantage?

bunghole dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick slams and goes hard. dick's Avatar
    I also have the Amazon Visa and they changed it today where for Prime members they give 5% back on Amazon purchases instead of 3%. You have to manually go in to make the change so you can start earning the 5%.

Thanks $#@!

asshat mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by $#@! View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on the 100k bonus point deal. What am I really getting with this besides some international travel and bonus points? What does the $300 travel credit mean and how would I double dip to take advantage?
    They reimburse you $300 at the end of the year for any travel related expenses. No paperwork required. So it's basically a $150 annual fee.

- Earn 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide from fast casual to fine dining. 1X points everywhere else.
    - Earn 3X points on travel worldwide from airfare and hotels to taxis and trains
    - Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓
    - 1:1 point transfer to airlines and hotels
    - Access to 900+ airport lounges worldwide with complimentary Priority Pass™ Select membership*

Did they notify users of that? Just checked the wife's account and it's already setup to get 5%. I highly doubt she paid enough attention to do that by herself.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mycoxaphlopin View Post
    They reimburse you $300 at the end of the year for any travel related expenses. No paperwork required. So it's basically a $150 annual fee.

- Earn 3X points on dining at restaurants worldwide from fast casual to fine dining. 1X points everywhere else.
    - Earn 3X points on travel worldwide from airfare and hotels to taxis and trains
    - Receive up to $100 application fee credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓
    - 1:1 point transfer to airlines and hotels
    - Access to 900+ airport lounges worldwide with complimentary Priority Pass™ Select membership*
    It's not at the end of the year. It's the first $300 spent on ANY travel categories when your account opens. And then again in December before year 2 starts. Hence the double dipping. I had $600 reimbursed (automatically credited) in year one.

asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club

Best credit card for rewards/services?

As stated, the $300 is immediately credited when the charge hits your account. And it's based on the category set up with the vendor. Uber rides are reimbursed. My monthly parking at office is somehow categorized as travel (transportation?) so that is reimbursed. I'm not going to leave Houston and the $300 will be back in my pocket by next month.

But be clear that they $450 annual fee also is charged in month 1 so there are downsides. The net is basically $150 annual fee based on all of the above.

As stated the 100k points, 3x restaurant points, global entry fee, and the discounted travel purchased via chase make this a great deal.
    Last edited by BA93; 01-12-2017 at 07:50 AM.

asshat stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? stunns38's Avatar
    Just happened to be researching cards today and had been considering the Sapphire Reserve for a while. I've previously been a Chase SWA Signature only and now my plan is to use that for SWA purchases only.

Why don't you close the SWA, save on the $95 annual fee then just transfer over the chase points from the Chase Reserve 1:1 over to southwest as needed?

asshat RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24's Avatar
    Fyi UBEREATS is considered travel. It's been dangerous for me....

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Airport parking is also covered in that $300

Quote Originally Posted by stunns38 View Post
    Why don't you close the SWA, save on the $95 annual fee then just transfer over the chase points from the Chase Reserve 1:1 over to southwest as needed?

Would this still count towards A-List preferred and Companion Pass? I have been a CP holder for 5 years now and I can't live without it now. I don't need the actual points to pay for travel, just the annual accumulation to keep the A list preferred and CP.

Quote Originally Posted by skipperj View Post
    Did they notify users of that? Just checked the wife's account and it's already setup to get 5%. I highly doubt she paid enough attention to do that by herself.
    The email I got said that it should be done automatically but to check under your Account Settings to make sure. I went and checked and mine still said 3%. It was an easy click of the button and it switched to say 5%. So it should be done automatically but I'd check just in case. It might be because the CC is under my wife's name but the prime account is under my name.

Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    As stated, the $300 is immediately credited when the charge hits your account. And it's based on the category set up with the vendor. Uber rides are reimbursed. My monthly parking at office is somehow categorized as travel (transportation?) so that is reimbursed. I'm not going to leave Houston and the $300 will be back in my pocket by next month.

But be clear that they $450 annual fee also is charged in month 1 so there are downsides. The net is basically $150 annual fee based on all of the above.

As stated the 100k points, 3x restaurant points, global entry fee, and the discounted travel purchased via chase make this a great deal.
    Thanks. We travel all the time so $300 is guaranteed probably in the first month, that is really easy. I thought it had to come in baggage fees or something. Sucks that I just already applied for global entry 6 months ago or else that would be another easy $100.

asshat Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club Quagmire Shaggy Silver Club
    Dammit meant to do it last night and forgot, guess I can go to a branch

I shouldn't have any problem racking up $4,000 spending in 3 months, but if you were a little short, could you overpay a utility bill to get it high enough and then get you utility bill credited in later months? Any risk in doing this?

asshat Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Longhornmaniac8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topbutton View Post
    I shouldn't have any problem racking up $4,000 spending in 3 months, but if you were a little short, could you overpay a utility bill to get it high enough and then get you utility bill credited in later months? Any risk in doing this?
    Venmo a little money to someone using the card. It's 3%, but if you're just a little short, no big deal.

Thanks. We travel all the time so $300 is guaranteed probably in the first month, that is really easy. I thought it had to come in baggage fees or something. Sucks that I just already applied for global entry 6 months ago or else that would be another easy $100.
    Maybe do it for someone you know? That benefit renews every 4 years, I believe, so it's not a 1-time only thing.

asshat lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3's Avatar
    Car insurance can be paid up to 6 months in advance. If your wife's driving sucks, like mine, that alone will get you close.

go buy a few gift cards

asshat Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius's Avatar
    Would this still count towards A-List preferred and Companion Pass? I have been a CP holder for 5 years now and I can't live without it now. I don't need the actual points to pay for travel, just the annual accumulation to keep the A list preferred and CP.
    UR transfers don't count toward either one, and actually in March SWA is going to eliminate hotel and rental car point transfers as counting toward A-List/CP...

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar3 View Post
    Car insurance can be paid up to 6 months in advance. If your wife's driving sucks, like mine, that alone will get you close.
    Great idea, thanks!

asshat Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazytexasfan View Post
    fyi, the 100k ends today only if you are applying online

you can still apply at a chase branch through march and get that 100k offer
    So I got a Sapphire Preferred card a few months ago because I was afeared of the Reserve's $450 annual fee.

Did I make a huge mistake?

I didn't travel a whole lot in the past 5 years because kids. But I got promoted last year, have projects in our other offices, and have flown a whole lot more. The 3x on travel and meals intrigue me. The lounge access not so much since I'm too dumb to fly anyone other than SWA, and there aren't lounges in SEA or SFO SWA terminals.

So... still apply for it? Or keep using the Preferred card?

bunghole gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. gmr548 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
    So I got a Sapphire Preferred card a few months ago because I was afeared of the Reserve's $450 annual fee.

Did I make a huge mistake?

I didn't travel a whole lot in the past 5 years because kids. But I got promoted last year, have projects in our other offices, and have flown a whole lot more. The 3x on travel and meals intrigue me. The lounge access not so much since I'm too dumb to fly anyone other than SWA, and there aren't lounges in SEA or SFO SWA terminals.

So... still apply for it? Or keep using the Preferred card?
    I don't think you'd be eligible for the 100k bonus since you're coming from the card directly related to it. Could be wrong though. Regardless, I still think it's pretty clearly a better value. Difference in annual fee, after the travel credit, is $55. You get 50% more points out of travel and dining to make up the difference. There's also the global entry/TSA pre check application, which will be handy since you're traveling more. And a quick search turned up this link: https://www.walla.by/blog/1519331222...ass-with-chase - which lists most major airports as having an eligible lounge. They name Alaska Airlines and Virgin America specifically, and while I've never been, I bet they have nice setups in Seattle and SF, respectively. You also get more out of redeeming points directly through Chase: 1.5 cents per point instead of 1.25 with your current card ($750 vs $625 on 50k points), if you go that route rather than transferring to partner programs. Seems like the $55 difference is below market value for that type of an upgrade to me.

Edit: lounge bit had me curious, since I noticed the priority pass membership listed as a benefit ("select") didn't match the listed tiers in that article. Apparently lounge access is free for you, $27 per guest. https://www.loungebuddy.com/blog/pri...ltimate-guide/
    Last edited by gmr548; 01-12-2017 at 10:40 PM.

asshat mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin has a gigantic e-peen. mycoxaphlopin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmr548 View Post
    I don't think you'd be eligible for the 100k bonus since you're coming from the card directly related to it. Could be wrong though.
    I hope you are wrong because I have a Sapphire Preferred card. It's been a couple of years though.

asshat Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6 grows his own roses Xminus6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gmr548 View Post
    I don't think you'd be eligible for the 100k bonus since you're coming from the card directly related to it. Could be wrong though. Regardless, I still think it's pretty clearly a better value. Difference in annual fee, after the travel credit, is $55. You get 50% more points out of travel and dining to make up the difference. There's also the global entry/TSA pre check application, which will be handy since you're traveling more. And a quick search turned up this link: https://www.walla.by/blog/1519331222...ass-with-chase - which lists most major airports as having an eligible lounge. They name Alaska Airlines and Virgin America specifically, and while I've never been, I bet they have nice setups in Seattle and SF, respectively. You also get more out of redeeming points directly through Chase: 1.5 cents per point instead of 1.25 with your current card ($750 vs $625 on 50k points), if you go that route rather than transferring to partner programs. Seems like the $55 difference is below market value for that type of an upgrade to me.

Edit: lounge bit had me curious, since I noticed the priority pass membership listed as a benefit ("select") didn't match the listed tiers in that article. Apparently lounge access is free for you, $27 per guest. https://www.loungebuddy.com/blog/pri...ltimate-guide/
    I have a preferred and just got my Reserve in the mail yesterday. I don't think they care if you have another account with them as long as you're spending money on their cards.

asshat Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero Shaggy Silver Club Superhero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xminus6 View Post
    I have a preferred and just got my Reserve in the mail yesterday. I don't think they care if you have another account with them as long as you're spending money on their cards.
    Are gonna cancel the preferred?

I'm going to cancel mine once I get the points. You can transfer points to the new reserved card.
    Last edited by mycoxaphlopin; 01-13-2017 at 11:26 AM.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    I'm going to cancel mine once I get the points. You can transfer points to the new reserved card.
    Pro tip... if you've had the Preferred for a while, don't cancel it... have them change it / convert it to the Chase Freedom Unlimited.

This does 2 things:
    1) helps your credit score. You don't lose the age of the account like when you close a cc
    2) more importantly, its 1.5 Ultimate Rewards for ANYTHING for no yearly fee. That way you can use your Reserve for meals and travel (3x pts) and your Freedom Unlimited for everything else (1.5x points vs only 1pt for Reserve)

Best of all, you can always combine your points fromFreedom to Reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    Pro tip... if you've had the Preferred for a while, don't cancel it... have them change it / convert it to the Chase Freedom Unlimited.

This does 2 things:
    1) helps your credit score. You don't lose the age of the account like when you close a cc
    2) more importantly, its 1.5 Ultimate Rewards for ANYTHING for no yearly fee. That way you can use your Reserve for meals and travel (3x pts) and your Freedom Unlimited for everything else (1.5x points vs only 1pt for Reserve)

yeah, do this.

also, if you want more, get the chase freedom (not the freedom unlimited, which earns 1.5 pts/$, but the freedom). Use the freedom for the quarterly bonus categories. 2017Q1 is gas and commute/transit. so you can stack your earning with:
    5x on bonus categories using freedom
    3x on sapphire reserve (food/dining/flights/hotels/uber/airbnb/parking/etc)
    1.5x on everything else using freedom unlimited

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post

This does 2 things:

But then I get charged $100 at the end of the your for my prefered card.

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    But then I get charged $100 at the end of the your for my prefered card.
    Not if they convert it to a freedom. Which is definitely very solid advice. You don't want to close it and lose that history.

Excellent. Thanks for the advise guys.

asshat Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon has a gigantic e-peen. Bogeywon's Avatar
    Looking for the best credit card for air miles anyone have a card they recommend

Does anyone have the Citi AAdvantage card? Just curious if the bonus miles post in the next billing cycle after you reach the threshold, or if you have to wait for the three-month period anyway.

Almost every card posts when you reach the threshold. Most on the next statement, some immediately. Haven't seen one that makes you wait the full period yet.

asshat Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius's Avatar
    Almost every card posts when you reach the threshold. Most on the next statement, some immediately. Haven't seen one that makes you wait the full period yet.
    Yeah, in the fine print it says to allow 4-6 weeks for the points to post but I've never had a card that didn't post your bonus miles the day after the statement closes...

Been having some fun this week booking a family trip to California middle of July. We are flying into OAK on a Friday, and then out of LAX the Saturday 8 days later.

I'm loving the Chase Ultimate rewards we got from the Sapphire Reserve.

So far, booked one way tix from AUS to OAK on Delta for 31k Chase rewards total for four of us. The Chase portal allowed me to enter my SkyMiles #, so it was seamless to tie it to me Delta account and the trip showed up automatically.

Still deciding on San Francisco hotel, but it will cost 44-55k Chase points for 3 nights. Marriott would cost 120k at same properties.

Car from Hertz on points. Will probably have to pay one way fee, haven't checked yet.

One night in Monterey, most likely on Marriott points.

One night in Santa Barbara. Free Hyatt night from my card.

3 nights in Airbnb house Hollywood area, just off Melrose. $1,000, using 100,000 Barclays Card Arrival + to reimburse. We pay any bills we can off that card, so it builds up well.

Decent deal on SW from LAX-AUS. 34k points total for the four one way tix.

Chase Ultimate Rewards have been way more valuable than I expected. Points to dollars value for this trip has been way better than trying to use airline or hotel points. I'll still have 30k left over for the next trip, along with the 100k Hilton points I earned in the credit card deal last fall that I haven't even touched.

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    One night in Santa Barbara. Free Hyatt night from my card.

asshat Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by radiator View Post
    I use the Fidelity Visa cash back card, 2% flat on everything with no annual fee, deposited into Fidelity brokerage account every month (can be easily transferred out to your bank from there if desired). Overall, pretty good card.
    FYI -- This card used to be 1.5% on the first $15K, then 2% thereafter. Ever since Elan took over management of the card, they've gotten rid of the 1.5% and just made it 2% flat. Thing is, if you had the card BEFORE the change, you have to request to be moved to the 2% flat program - they will not automatically transfer you. I just found out and did it last night.

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by radiator View Post
    I use the Fidelity Visa cash back card, 2% flat on everything with no annual fee, deposited into Fidelity brokerage account every month (can be easily transferred out to your bank from there if desired). Overall, pretty good card.
    My dad has that one after he got pissed off at American Airlines making it impossible to use miles (He had a Citi AA card for about 30 years). The first 2 months he tried to use it, every single transaction, no matter how small, would get declined, he'd have to call and then they'd let it go through. Really strange.

I just upgraded my Amex to Platinum. I use it for our construction company. I passed on Platinum before due to the fee and the fact that I don't travel that much (negating one of the main benefits), but they offered me 50k points to upgrade (basically covering the first year's annual fee) plus I get 1.5x points on any transaction over $5k. Well, I pay for our lumber, cabinets, plumbing fixtures, trim materials, and a host of other $#@! that comes in at more than $5k per invoice on every job. I'm easily going to get another 100k points a year out of them.

asshat RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24's Avatar
    Tried to get the AA card and they said it would take a week to see rejection or approval. Aren't these usually instant?

My credit is 806.

I'm on my 3rd Citi AA card since last June/July. Somehow the card info has been stolen two different times. I have since picked up the Chase Sapphire Reserve and can book a ticket as long as there is a seat available.

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderzX24 View Post
    Tried to get the AA card and they said it would take a week to see rejection or approval. Aren't these usually instant?

My credit is 806.

Is it Citi, Barclays or AMEX?

Call the reconsideration line for the issuing bank and get it pushed through for approval.

http://travelsort.com/blog/credit-ca...-phone-numbers

Citi. Apologies.

I'm still waiting for accepted or rejected. Just thought it was odd that I'd have to wait awhile. Every other place I was accepted instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by RaiderzX24 View Post
    Citi. Apologies.

I'm still waiting for accepted or rejected. Just thought it was odd that I'd have to wait awhile. Every other place I was accepted instantly.

It's not that unusual. But do be proactive and call the reconsideration line like Spanky said.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast