+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best credit card for rewards/services?

asshat Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian's Avatar

Best credit card for rewards/services?

Decided to part ways with Amex and wonder what the shag collective wisdom has to say about this. Thumbnails sketch of the issue:

After doing some research online it appears the usual perks are air miles (not a big deal because work covers it), gas (again, work), groceries (gardening and farmer's market nerd here), general services or cash back. I would have to say something between all those, general services and cash back are probably the most important to me. Visa, MasterCard, Discover all work, but discover is less attractive due to limited acceptability. Amex can eabod.

Rather than relying solely on the websites that do a good job of comparing characteristics of cards, does the shag have some good things to say about particular cards that they care to share?

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Chase preferred plus
    Flexible reward earning through ultimate rewards mall
    Ultimate rewards points can be converted to mileage at favorable rates if you want to redeem that way
    Visa is most widely accepted
    No forex fee
    Their website is steadily getting better
    It is a signature level card which means tons of perks - warranties, theft protection, return protection, etc etc
    But best of all in my recent contacts they have the best customer service. Native English speakers on first ring. All aspects of their csr *now* blows Amex out of the water

Well you hate amex so this suggestion will be ignored, but I use the amex blue cash preferred. 6% at grocery stores, 3 percent at gas stations, 1 percent back anywhere else. Most grocery stores have gift cards for everything so it can pretty much be 6 percent back anywhere. Amazon and Southwest gift cards are the best.

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Chase Hyatt is a good one too. Tons of Amex cards used to be the best -- SPg, gold, plat, true earnings-- but now chase has superior offerings

asshat Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Houstonian's Avatar
    Thanks, 5280! Chase preferred just pulled in the lead.

And dahobbs: I was actually about to switch from my previous card to amex blue before parting ways. In fact, my fiancee uses that card and loves it. I agree it is a great option but that ship sailed...
    Last edited by Houstonian; 12-24-2012 at 06:49 PM.

asshat u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn Shaggy Bronze Club u2-horn's Avatar
    amex blue cash

asshat tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone Shaggy Gold Club tbone's Avatar
    Chase southwest airlines visa

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Quote Originally Posted by hornsareus View Post
    Chase Sapphire Preferred
    Seconded. Best overall card for spending / rewards.

I personally also have an Amex Platinum card, but that is primarily for the benefits (lounge access, airline reimbursements, etc.). Since Amex's membership rewards have been devalued with the loss of United/Continental, I've shifted almost all spend to the Chase Sapphire Preferred and their Ultimate Rewards (United is a transfer partner). Also, no foreign transaction fees for either card.

Another great card is the Starwood Amex if you value the transfer to airlines and hotel bennies.

For a straight-up cash back card, there's a Fidelity Amex that gives you 2% cash back, which is likely the most you'll get.
    https://www.fidelity.com/cash-manage...-express-cards

asshat RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24 Shaggy Bronze Club RaiderzX24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dahobbs View Post
    Well you hate amex so this suggestion will be ignored, but I use the amex blue cash preferred. 6% at grocery stores, 3 percent at gas stations, 1 percent back anywhere else. Most grocery stores have gift cards for everything so it can pretty much be 6 percent back anywhere. Amazon and Southwest gift cards are the best.
    I have this. Awesome.

asshat DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. DCLonghorn's Avatar
    Texas Exes BoA Signature Visa has a good cash back reward. Not quite as good as Amex Blue, but a great back up.

Yeah that's what I meant by preferred plus...the saph preferred it is tits. Also absolutely worth getting the Hyatt card at 75$ a year. 2 nights first year and 1 night at any Hyatt... So worst you do is break even at a regency in bum$#@! Kansas....best u do is redeem at 800$ grand Hyatt or park Hyatt or e.g. New Andaz in Tokyo in 2014

It's also forex free but the real reason to get is because of the security chip that allows it to be used in unmanned machines that may not accept standard cards

asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    If you bank at Chase, then you use the combination of the Freedom card, Sapphire Plus and your checking account to score some big reward points.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...perfect-combo/

Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    If you bank at Chase, then you use the combination of the Freedom card, Sapphire Plus and your checking account to score some big reward points.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/mommyp...perfect-combo/
    Subscribed, applied, and confirmed. Card on the way. Thanks, BA93.

asshat Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze's Avatar
    I have Southwest Airlines Visa.....but they are giving me White People Problems for my companion pass.

bunghole GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave slams and goes hard. GatorDave's Avatar
    No, I'm not a Florida fan. Can't a guy just like alligators?
    Quote Originally Posted by dahobbs View Post
    From the AMEX website:
    The first $6,000 of purchases at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets in a calendar year qualifies for 6% cash back; 1% thereafter.
    Sounds like they're on to your gift card scam and put a cap on it. But yeah, I have Blue Cash as well. I'm married with 2 kids, so we'll burn through way more than $6k in groceries in a year easy. That part alone more than pays for the upgrade fee.
    Last edited by GatorDave; 12-27-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Yeah, the cap is recent. I still wouldn't spend 6k a year without using gift cards, no kids. You could always combine with another card to maximize points.

asshat UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD Shaggy Bronze Club UTinBigD's Avatar
    use the starwood amex for most stuff. chase saph for for places that don't take amex and for 2x points at restaurants.

asshat longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude Shaggy Bronze Club longhorndude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Chase southwest airlines visa
    ditto, if you travel much this one is the way to go

Quote Originally Posted by longhorndude View Post
    ditto, if you travel much this one is the way to go
    You can transfer the Chase Sapphire Preferred points to Southwest 1 for 1. Since you'll earn 2x on food and travel with the CSP card vs just 2x on Southwest with the Rapid Rewards Card; I'd go with the CSP card.

asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    I would also recommend not going too crazy with several reward cards. The pendulum seems to have swung that reward cards are the big thing as opposed to no-fee cards. Many of these reward cards have a relatively high annual fee, so if you get too many of them to take advantage of big points in different categories, you can end up discounting your return.

And of course the very best reward program is to NOT spend the money in the first place. You get 100% cash back on those non-purchases.

asshat shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? shnsajax's Avatar
    So Shaggy search does work.

Currently my wife and I use the Bank of America Platinum Privileges Card, we get 3% on gas, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. Then we get a 50% bonus on rewards deposited into our BoA accounts. Card works well, getting back about $2,200 once we cash these in.

Question is we will be moving to Boise pretty soon within the next 12 months probably. At that point, I think I want to switch to a Miles card simply because my family lives in South Texas. Plus with 2 kids on the way for the trips that we do need or want to fly I figure this might prove to be more valuable on a yearly basis. The question is, is it worth it for an airlines card that chages and annual fee? Also is it worth it for a miles card in general vs what we already have? Got a Citi AAdvantage World Elite Offer for 75,000 miles, but has a $450 annual fee.

asshat tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak's Avatar
    Miles cards have gone the same way as cash back cards. Which is to say, $#@!ty. We pay $95/year for our AA card. No problems getting that waived every year in the past, but I'm guessing there's no way they'd waive $450 unless you're Bill Gates or something.

We're dropping the card as soon as we buy a house, anyway. Even when you get miles, the flight times suck and they hit you with extra fees. Southwest might be better, but I doubt it.

asshat Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos's Avatar
    I have an Amex Hilton Honors card that has been great. Fair reward amount.

Quote Originally Posted by shnsajax View Post

Currently my wife and I use the Bank of America Platinum Privileges Card, we get 3% on gas, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. Then we get a 50% bonus on rewards deposited into our BoA accounts. Card works well, getting back about $2,200 once we cash these in.

Question is we will be moving to Boise pretty soon within the next 12 months probably. At that point, I think I want to switch to a Miles card simply because my family lives in South Texas. Plus with 2 kids on the way for the trips that we do need or want to fly I figure this might prove to be more valuable on a yearly basis. The question is, is it worth it for an airlines card that chages and annual fee? Also is it worth it for a miles card in general vs what we already have? Got a Citi AAdvantage World Elite Offer for 75,000 miles, but has a $450 annual fee.

Airline cards were great 10 years ago. Now: Fees, lack of FF seats, increase points needed. Frequent flyer perks are going away. Better off with a cash back.

Airline cards are great for their intro offers. 40K, 50K, + points for the first $2-3000 spent. They usually make you pay the annual fee upfront but in exchange for 2 free roundtrips, its a good deal. Almost best to cancel the card after the intro points are with your airline ff account. Or at least cancel it before the next annual fee is due.

Quote Originally Posted by LonghornXXX View Post
    Airline cards were great 10 years ago. Now: Fees, lack of FF seats, increase points needed. Frequent flyer perks are going away. Better off with a cash back.
    Airline cards are arguably better now since the introduction of revenue-qualifying-target makes chasing status more difficult for some. It gives you some of the perks at an easier entry point.

This is the card I have and love it, but it's probably not for everyone. I travel internationally so the Admiral Clubs, no international transaction fees, and bonus miles make it worth it for me. Plus I expense my annual fee so it doesn't cost me anything. I'd expense the cost of the Admirals Club if i didn't have the card so that made sense also. Another plus is that with the second card for my wife, who doesn't travel for business, she gets to take advantage of the free checked bag, priority check in and boarding, and Admirals clubs as well. Even if I didn't expense the fee it would probably pay for itself.

Yes, frequent flyer seats aren't as easy as they once were, but with planning they can be found. We're taking a trip next fall to a couple of places in South America and the taxes for both tickets were less than $200.

My Fidelity Amex gets 2% on every purchase towards my Fidelity account. No fee. I keep a Wells Fargo Visa for when Amex isn't accepted. Not a bad way to go if airline miles and hotel points aren't that valuable to you.

Big fan of the Barkclay rewards MC. 2% cash on groceries, gas , and all utilities (Cable, Internet, and Cellphone included) 1% everything else. No AF, no limits, and no experation.

Not a bad deal.

Of course, all of these recommendations are based on the idea that the balance is paid off each month. If someone has to carry a balance, points seem irrelevant and the lowest interest possible is the most important item.

asshat OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur probably preboards planes OCSpur's Avatar
    Without exception, the best, and most immediate, rewards come from using someone else's credit card...

Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    Miles cards have gone the same way as cash back cards. Which is to say, $#@!ty. We pay $95/year for our AA card. No problems getting that waived every year in the past, but I'm guessing there's no way they'd waive $450 unless you're Bill Gates or something.

We're dropping the card as soon as we buy a house, anyway. Even when you get miles, the flight times suck and they hit you with extra fees. Southwest might be better, but I doubt it.
    We like our Chase Southwest Visa. SWA's Rapid Rewards program is transparent. I believe cashing in points with SWA is same as cash, so you don't have blackout dates and limited seats. Every $60 is $1 toward a regular fare, so you're essentially getting 1.66% back. Not great, but better than 1% cash back. There's an annual fee that you get back with the annual mileage credit.

We're not Shaggy Elite and only travel within the Lower 48, so it's a good deal for us, as our flights for a couple trips a year are covered.

Still a big fan of the Costco AMEX card. 0$ Annual Fee, 3% Cash Back on Gas, 2% Cash back at restaurants and travel purchases and 1% cash back on everything else. We have had it for a few years and have been very pleased with the checks back.

Of course as stated above this is only a good strategy if you pay off your card monthly, the interest rates can quickly eat up that rebate if you do not.

asshat txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87 Shaggy Bronze Club txgrad87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OCSpur View Post
    Without exception, the best, and most immediate, rewards come from using someone else's credit card...
    so you are the one that caused me to spend 2 hours with chase fraud today. mcdonalds in beaumont, gas in baton rouge, walmart in nola. Someone had a hell of a roadie at my expense today.

asshat Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo Shaggy Platinum Surly Bevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txgrad87 View Post
    so you are the one that caused me to spend 2 hours with chase fraud today. mcdonalds in beaumont, gas in baton rouge, walmart in nola. Someone had a hell of a roadie at my expense today.
    Spring Break in Florida yo. We on our way.

asshat TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn's Avatar
    I use Visa Southwest Airlines, Visa Amazon and Chase Sapphire Preferred. I've gotten so much free $#@! from Amazon through their card and Southwest flies my family all over the place every year. Chase Sapphire comes in handy too after Southwest just flew me to wherever the $#@! they just flew me.

Just got a Chase Sapphire Preferred offer in the mail - usually those go straight in the trash, but based on this thread and that it offers 40k points after 3 months, I may get one. Looks like the annual fee is waived for year 1 - so what's the downside if I cancel it in 6 months? Like others on this thread, I mostly use the BoA cash rewards card.

Quote Originally Posted by Ced4Heisman View Post
    Just got a Chase Sapphire Preferred offer in the mail - usually those go straight in the trash, but based on this thread and that it offers 40k points after 3 months, I may get one. Looks like the annual fee is waived for year 1 - so what's the downside if I cancel it in 6 months? Like others on this thread, I mostly use the BoA cash rewards card.
    If you end up cancelling the card make sure to transfer the points to one of the partners - unless you have a Freedom card or one of the others that uses Ultimate Rewards.

asshat bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova's Avatar

First - Boise is awesome and you will love it.
    Second - You can get 100,000 Miles on that card, if you spend 10K within 3 months. The $450 fee is very high, though, so I wouldn't do that unless I the card was replacing something I already paid for of equivilent value, like Admiral's Club.
    Third - American doesn't fly out of Boise. Alaska does, so that's OK if you are going west a lot and plan to connect through San Jose or something, but if you are going back and forth from Boise to Texas, much better connection options are on Southwest, Delta and United.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    interesting, google now has a way to compare cards:

https://www.google.com/compare/credi...le=ALL_REWARDS

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    OK, so question for the Chase Freedom folks:

-Is the 5% cash back on the bonus categories capped to $75/quarter or $75/year? [it says that you can get 5% cash back on select categories on up to $1,500 in combined purchases... $1,500*5%=$75]

asshat MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MAC8111's Avatar
    So here Is what I have now, but I know I need to explore other options. Capital One Visa.

Get 2 miles for every $1 spent. Their redemption chart is below. So by doing math, it looks like it is 1% back on travel and only .5% on cash back. I do spend a ton on my credit card and pay it off every month. I am not opposed to a travel card (I fly Southwest a ton, but a lot of my flights are paid by company on their card.) I don't mind getting cash back as well. Help me maximize my rewards.

Thank you for your expertise.

I use cap one visa, I like it a lot.. only makes sense for me when I'm doing the trip eraser, but when you log on to look at your rewards redemption it shows $275 flight, use 27,500 to erase? same with cabs, and hotels.

It's nice not having to use them to book up front and just pay off the trip afterwards. I'm just accumulating points now and haven't started redeeming any, but no complaints with service or anything else.

asshat BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BaggyBevo View Post
    I use cap one visa, I like it a lot.. only makes sense for me when I'm doing the trip eraser, but when you log on to look at your rewards redemption it shows $275 flight, use 27,500 to erase? same with cabs, and hotels.

It's nice not having to use them to book up front and just pay off the trip afterwards. I'm just accumulating points now and haven't started redeeming any, but no complaints with service or anything else.
    Same here. Run all monthly expenses through venture and stockpile for family getaway.

asshat tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak Shaggy Silver Club tokamak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BaggyBevo View Post

Unless I'm reading you wrong, that's only a 1% return, which you can get as cash back all day long. Am I missing something?

asshat dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555 is a rep whore. dark54555's Avatar
    Just switched to the Citi Executive AAdvantage card. If you're in DFW (or another American hub) and travel a decent amount it's tough to beat.

-Admiral's Club membership included
    -10k EQM if you spend $40k in a calendar year (which is almost half way to gold on American)
    -1 mile per $1 with bonuses on certain things
    -reduced mileage redemption amounts
    -no foreign transaction fees
    -plus all the benefits of the platinum card (free checked bags, group 1 boarding, etc)

To me the EQM bonus is a big deal. Would make sure I always hit gold and might push me to platinum some years.

Quote Originally Posted by dark54555 View Post
    Just switched to the Citi Executive AAdvantage card. If you're in DFW (or another American hub) and travel a decent amount it's tough to beat.

-Admiral's Club membership included
    -10k EQM if you spend $40k in a calendar year (which is almost half way to gold on American)
    -1 mile per $1 with bonuses on certain things
    -reduced mileage redemption amounts
    -no foreign transaction fees
    -plus all the benefits of the platinum card (free checked bags, group 1 boarding, etc)

To me the EQM bonus is a big deal. Would make sure I always hit gold and might push me to platinum some years.
    I hope you signed up with the 100k bonus.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    Scams, all.

So we think the big banks are evil and greedy, but that their 'rewards' programs are benevolent and not at all slanted towards manipulating our purchasing habits away from our traditional cost analysis of price, value, quality, and customer service? Okay. Makes perfect sense.

Anyone have an opinion on upgrading Amex Gold to Gold Premier Rewards? $50 dollars extra on the annual fee.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast