+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Downtown Projects

asshat royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. royiv can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhorn Al View Post
    White Lodging is planning another hotel. They already have 2 under construction (JW Marriott and Hyatt Place). This one would be 20 stories and located on the corner of East 5th and San Jacinto.

Apparently this one is going to be a Westin. Statesman lists it as 17 stories.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...te-lodg/nTrWK/

Quote Originally Posted by tokamak View Post
    I'm kinda with Kaiser, especially when I look at that 2nd pic that P'ville posted. The bottom 15 or so floors of that thing are a complete mess.
    that's the hotel portion I believe. Not that that makes it any more appealing, just pointing it out

Quote Originally Posted by royiv View Post
    Apparently this one is going to be a Westin. Statesman lists it as 17 stories.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...te-lodg/nTrWK/
    this actually looks like a neutered version of the W. Kaiser may flip out :)

I love all this downtown development, but would someone please get me a light rail stop near Far West? Driving from there to 111 Congress is killing me. Often, it is not even Mopac, just the $#@!pile that is Cesar Chavez backed up from Congress all the way to Mopac.

asshat Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unpaintedhuffhines View Post
    this actually looks like a neutered version of the W. Kaiser may flip out :)
    Hopefully it's brown. And turdish.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    according to that Statesman map, the new hotel is being built right on top of the Residence Inn at that corner. Which is impossible, because the Statesman does not make mistakes.

asshat Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al has a gigantic e-peen. Longhorn Al's Avatar
    Looks right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    according to that Statesman map, the new hotel is being built right on top of the Residence Inn at that corner. Which is impossible, because the Statesman does not make mistakes.
    I think the Residence Inn is on the north side of 4th Street. This one is a block up on 5th.

asshat creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy Shaggy Bronze Club creasy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkfan#1 View Post
    I think the Residence Inn is on the north side of 4th Street. This one is a block up on 5th.
    That's correct; the Westin hotel location is directly across 5th St from Eddie V's.

It's not exactly downtown but might as well be. Interesting to see all the gentrification of close-in East Austin.

One of five conceptual site plans:

The board of the Rebekah Baines Johnson Center — an apartment tower near downtown that provides housing for low-income senior citizens — is seeking a partner to help it redevelop the 18 acres of prime waterfront property that surround the center.
    The project, which would be among the larger ones planned for a changing East Austin, calls for providing more low-cost housing options for senior citizens beyond 250 existing units, and bringing in new residential, retail and commercial development.

All that and more is part of the grand vision that the board of the Austin Geriatric Center, a nonprofit corporation, which owns and manages the Rebekah Baines Johnson Center. The center includes a 16-story tower with apartments within reach of low-income seniors, most of whom have incomes of less than $13,000 a year. The center also provides housing for people with disabilities.
    In an exclusive to the American-Statesman, the board said it will seek proposals from developers who have a proven track record and financial wherewithal to help the board carry out its vision for redeveloping the site, which overlooks Lady Bird Lake.
    The board expects to select a short list of three to five prospective partners by March 21. Firms that make that cut will be invited to submit business and development proposals. The board expects to announce the winning bidder in July and begin negotiations.
    The development partner will help the board realize the vision outlined in a master plan it approved in November 2011. The goal is to build more low-cost, independent living housing for seniors, upgrade the existing tower, and bring in new development and services such as a grocery store, restaurants, a health clinic and skilled nursing facilities.
    The board is seeking “a well-qualified development partner who can acquire some of our land and help us to develop the rest, all in accordance with the strategic master plan we have put together in concert with our neighbors, the City of Austin and our Strategic Planning Committee, ” board chairman Clarke Heidrick said in a statement.
    Paul Saldaña, board vice chairman, said the board wants to incorporate retail and commercial development “that is going to serve our residents and serve the surrounding community.”
    The aim is to create an “urban village” with elements similar to those seen in such projects as the Holiday development in Boulder; Via Verde in South Bronx, N.Y.; RiverPlace in Portland; and Fenway in Boston.
    In Austin, the neighborhood to the north of the RBJ Center is one of Austin’s oldest single-family communities, with houses dating to the 1930s. Across I-35 downtown, high-rise residential towers loom. To the south across Lady Bird Lake, the area is rapidly transforming with new luxury apartment towers and mid-rises.
    The East Cesar Chavez Neighborhood will be involved in selecting the master developer, Saldaña said. He said any new development on the site would be limited to 60 feet in height, or five stories maximum.
    The project, which would be developed in phases over the next several years, has already generated interest from local, regional and national teams, he said.
    “We have identified approximately 30 entities that have expressed an interest and we expect that number to increase,” he said.
    He noted that the redevelopment could include a few acres of the adjacent city-owned land. In addition, the city is developing a master plan for 100 acres of green space and parkland from I-35 to Pleasant Valley Road, including 9.3 acres of the Holly Power Plant that is being deconstructed — all of which should serve to fuel developer interest on the national level in the RBJ project, Saldaña said.
    The idea for the Rebekah Baines Johnson Center was a concept ahead of its time when it materialized in the late 1960s during Lyndon Johnson’s presidency. Johnson envisioned a campus that would offer a continuum of housing and health care for “the elderly sick and the elderly well.” The existing tower — named for Johnson’s mother — opened in 1972.
    Charles Heimsath, a local real estate expert, consulted with the RBJ board on its master plan. Heimsath said the board “would like to achieve more affordable senior units and higher density development on the site, and they recognize that to do that, they will need to allow the construction of higher density market rate product on the site to help ‘subsidize’ the affordable units.”
    “The location and size of the parcel should enable the development of another catalytic project on the near east side,” Heimsath noted.

asshat TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ's Avatar
    I gotta be honest: I'm not sure I like this design. I know it's contemporary and $#@! but it's just so red and boxy. I think it will ultimately be a blight on the skyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolverk View Post
    It's not exactly downtown but might as well be. Interesting to see all the gentrification of close-in East Austin.
    I saw that story this morning. Good job getting the render. Not sure what I think about it.

I read something a couple weeks ago about that Holly Power Plant plan. I think half will be park and half will be developed.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I gotta be honest: I'm not sure I like this design. I know it's contemporary and $#@! but it's just so red and boxy. I think it will ultimately be a blight on the skyline.
    Ha..

asshat TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ Probably Shaggy upper class TJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiserSoze View Post
    It'll be hard to get much uglier than the W, which looks like someone dried a huge turd, stood it upright, and drilled a few holes in it.
    Just wait until Superstorm Sandy comes back to life, slams into Texas, and gives that building a good washing.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar

One of five conceptual site plans:
    they're doing this so they can also relocate that building just east of the Four Seasons that also houses seniors. It's being torn down in a few years when the Waller Creek area is developed.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkfan#1 View Post
    You watch too much Walking Dead. Austin has been consistently growing for 100+ years. I don't see why that changes in the next 20.
    Water. Mark my words. Maybe not 20, but within 50 at this rate.

Yep. We'll be okay for another generation or so. then it gets real serious. The manufacturing in our state is only going to continue to increase, at an even faster rate. Industry uses 1/3rd of our water supply. Take that into account coupled with increases in population. It is impossible to sustain our water supply.

Our markets and our minds will invent our way out of the energy crisis. There are alternatives to fossil fuels, alternative ways to build and make things, even alternative ways to make and grow food. But there is no substitute for two hydrogen molecules bound to an oxygen molecule.

asshat bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club
    Brawndo bitches

I saw an invention on a small scale that can take moisture out of the air and make drinkable water. It can be done even in the most arid environments. Something like this on a very large scale could be in our future.

Or perhaps more resevoirs to catch the water that escapes during heavy rainstorms.

I saw an invention on a small scale that can take moisture out of the air and make drinkable water. It can be done even in the most arid environments. Something like this on a very large scale could be in our future.

Or perhaps more resevoirs to catch the water that escapes during heavy rainstorms.
    I was thinking about that when we had this industrial de-humidifier in our house after we painted over our oak (any little moisture delayed the process by hours, if not days). anyway, this was in April and this machine would generate about a gallon of water every 4 hours. And that was inside, I think it would have doubled that if it were outside. If you could run those things off your natural gas line and set them up outside, you could at least pull enough water to run your sprinkler system for an affordable price. Problem is, if we all start doing that, we effectively pull the moisture out from the air that the flora needs to keep lush. If 1000 people do it, no big deal. If a million people do it, suddenly some trees can't survive. It's been so long since I did so poorly in troy Kimmel's weather class-will more humid air that's up higher just sink down here if we dry the $#@! out of the air down here?

asshat Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death's Avatar
    Desalination plus pipeline.

oldfart Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat Definitely Shaggy upper class Armybrat's Avatar
    Copied this from Kevin's post on the Austin Skyscraper forum - Austin as it looked when I got here in 1959:

^
    That's simply amazing. It looks like the Norwood was the tallest building downtown at the time.

Webcam for the JW Marriott: http://oxblue.com/open/tournee/jwmarriottaustin

Already have some of the retaining walls and columns going up.

asshat ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club
    Austin is turning into every game of SimCity I ever played. Land value goes up, commercial sectors spring up big time high rises. Only difference is that I'd expect more commercial buildings. Why did they zone so much residential downtown?

They're going to need a police department soon. Also they better save their game, godzilla can show up at any minute.

They want people living downtown to increase density.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ndawg View Post
    Austin is turning into every game of SimCity I ever played. Land value goes up, commercial sectors spring up big time high rises. Only difference is that I'd expect more commercial buildings. Why did they zone so much residential downtown?

They're going to need a police department soon. Also they better save their game, godzilla can show up at any minute.
    Can't wait for one of these to show up.

asshat ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas's Avatar
    Webcam for the JW Marriott: http://oxblue.com/open/tournee/jwmarriottaustin

Already have some of the retaining walls and columns going up.
    The Time lapse cam is pretty cool.

800-804 Congress is another that is ready to go, but is waiting on an ok from the city. The developer, city, other properties and small businesses in the area are wrangling over the setbacks. This building is a little too close to Congress for the liking of the properties to the south. At least that's how I'm understanding it. Someone like LonghornFan68 can probably explain it better.

It looks like this project has been killed.

Austin City Council shot down a zoning change last week that would have cleared the way for a controversial hotel at 800 Congress Ave., and at the same time raises questions about the viability of development along one of Austin's most coveted corridors.
    The hotel was contested at every step of the process by nearby business owners and residents, who argued that the 30-story building would have blocked views of the Capitol building along Congress Avenue. Others worried that the project, which did not include any on-site parking, would bring too much traffic and congestion to the area.
    The project failed to gather support from many of downtown's largest developers and groups. Neighbors filed a petition against the project and the Downtown Austin Alliance's Charlie Betts spoke out against the planned building.
    The developer, David Kahn, argued that the hotel would not intrude on views any more than existing buildings, and that the North Congress Avenue area could benefit from the $90 million project. He previously said that there was already plenty of underused parking on Congress Avenue that could be contracted for the new building.
    Find more information and pictures of the Austin Hotel development in past Austin Business Journal coverage.
    Development north of Sixth Street and Congress Avenue has been slow for the past decade, largely because of stringent stepback and floor-to-area ratio requirements. Many new projects along Congress Avenue have taken place on lots that span whole city blocks, which allows planners to meet the stringent stepback and floor-to-area ratio requirements by building on very large lots.
    The JW Marriott Hotel, which is under construction now at Second Street and Congress Avenue, will turn a large parking lot into a new high rise. But organizers have been turned off from buying whole blocks in the North Congress Avenue area because much of the land is already developed and the lots are much narrower.
    The Austin Hotel would have broken the pattern by putting up a midblock building. But in the end, the plans couldn't comply with stepback and parking requirements. It's unclear if Kahn will pursue an altered development on the property.
    With the midblock project nixed, it's clear that developers will need to get creative if they want to build in the that area. So far, despite an ongoing building boom, that has yet to happen.
    http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all

Two more hotel projects to break ground in downtown Austin

Downtown Austin observers have had their eyes peeled on the intense construction activity at the JW Marriott hotel site, now sporting three massive tower cranes.

But soon the skyline will be punctuated with new tower cranes, as two more hotels are preparing to break ground in the next six months.

Developers of the proposed Hotel Van Zandt in the Waterfront District and the Fairmont Austin nearby confirmed that they are moving ahead with construction. The announcements were made at the monthly breakfast gathering of the Urban Land Institute’s Austin chapter.

Greg Clay, chief investment officer for JMI Realty, which is developing the Hotel Van Zandt, said his company has applied for building permits and expects to break ground by June on the 16-story, 327-room hotel. It which will be operated by Kimpton Hotels, a San Francisco company, which specializes in chic boutique hotels.

Though JMI has owned the site at Red River and Davis streets since 2006, the project had been stalled by the recession and other factors, but now it’s back on track.

“We think the Kimpton brand really fits Austin,” Clay said.

A short distance away at Red River and Cesar Chavez streets, Manchester Texas Financial Group LLC is planning to break ground in October on the Fairmont Austin, a 50-story, 1,000-room hotel that will be the second highest building in the city behind The Austonian condominiums.

It’s scheduled to open in June 2016, about a year after the 34-story, 1,000-room JW Marriott is delivered.

The hotel market in Austin is hot.

Hyatt Place, the 17-story hotel which is under construction at East Third Street and San Jacinto Boulevard, will open next week.

Recently developers for Hotel Zaza received initial approval from the Austin City Council to proceed with their plan for a 24-story hotel on West Fourth Street between Lavaca and Guadalupe streets. Meanwhile, a 17-story Westin hotel is planned for the corner of East Fifth Street and San Jacinto Boulevard.

“We like the amount of investment right now,” Clay said of the amount of hotel investment planned for downtown, “but we don’t want to see much more.”

Doug Manchester, president of Manchester Texas Financial Group, may object, at least slightly.

He wants to see a major push to develop the Austin Convention Center into a more viable product that could vie against such popular convention towns as San Diego, where his company was started.

“I’d like to champion that,” Manchester said.

He said he likes the dynamics of the Austin market, given that it has one of the highest rates of occupancy for Saturday nights. Most cities see a dramatic drop in hotel occupancy on the weekends.

“The reason we are here is that we saw the incredible potential of Austin,” Manchester said.

“We like the amount of investment right now,” Clay said of the amount of hotel investment planned for downtown, “but we don’t want to see much more.”
    Some hope? I really like a lot of these buildings, but glad to see at least someone wants to tap the brakes. Money talks though.

asshat Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen. Longhornfan1024 has a gigantic e-peen.
    The Seaholm area is going to have another apartment/condo development that isn't the Gables, correct?

asshat tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak's Avatar
    I used to stay in Kimptons when I traveled. Very classy boutique chain, IMO. Always had good experiences.

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    It looks like this project has been killed.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl....html?page=all
    Others worried that the project, which did not include any on-site parking, would bring too much traffic and congestion to the area.
    The developer, David Kahn, argued that the hotel would not intrude on views any more than existing buildings, and that the North Congress Avenue area could benefit from the $90 million project. He previously said that there was already plenty of underused parking on Congress Avenue that could be contracted for the new building.
    You have to love developers who think other people will solve their problems for them.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomHeartBevo View Post
    You have to love developers who think other people will solve their problems for them.
    and where is this "underused" parking on Congress?

asshat Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    12th and trinity of course

bunghole mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem Shaggy Bronze Club mchookem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou415 View Post
    Parking is not a problem downtown. I really have no idea why someone would say it is. It's a pain in the ass compared to going somewhere that has a dedicated parking lot because you might have to pay, walk some stairs, and walk a few blocks but that's true of any downtown area. Garages/lots are generally $10 or less for the whole night and there is more than enough capacity so that the garages are never full (which is why they're now asking not to have to build so much parking, as those spots are just sitting unused).
    ditto this experience. i have a biweekly appt right in the middle of downtown and i always get a meter spot right in front, np. you have to pay, but its not bad.

The rest of the block the Austonian is on was recently purchased by a local group. They want to have a large development use it.

I also saw where they want to replace the Taco Cabana on South Lamar just before the river with a development. They are trying to get a variance for 96 ft in height.

The land just south of the Holiday Inn by the river could also be seeing a development in the not too distant future. Protected views make it a prime location.

asshat ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club ndawg Shaggy Bronze Club
    I want to see more office space go in downtown. I'm tired of commuting out to the boonies to work.

asshat Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Fico's Avatar
    Cousins will more than likely break ground at 3rd and Colorado this year. 380k sf of office space in a building designed to compliment the Frost Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    Almost every building on Congress has an attached parking garage. I've never once seen a sign saying one was full.

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar

I was just thinking that it'd be pretty sweet if we could have room for another 2500 out of Towners in the downtown area.

The second building in that slideshow is already dead. They didn't do enough research before compiling it.

3 Eleven Bowie has started going vertical. (http://www.urbanspacerealtors.com/news/ccc.html)

Skyhouse is working on (I think) the 16th floor. (webcam http://oxblue.com/open/SkyHouseApartments)

JW Marriott has reached street level on one of its sides. (webcam http://oxblue.com/open/tournee/jwmarriottaustin)

Taco Cabana site

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...sitedev/nWXfG/

Gables at Park Plaza

courtesy of LoneStarMike on skyscraperpage

asshat tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak has a gigantic e-peen. tokamak's Avatar
    The second building in that slideshow is already dead. They didn't do enough research before compiling it.
    Not to mention that building #5 is a four story apartment complex. Doubt that's really going to "change Austin's skyline".

Exactly. They should have mentioned 3 Eleven and Gables over those. They will have a huge affect on the west side of downtown.

Buyer in place for high-profile Sixth and Congress property
    Portfolio anchors iconic downtown corner

One of downtown Austin’s most high-profile sites is about to get a new owner — who plans to create new top tier office space on Congress Avenue.
    Stream Realty Partners has a contract to acquire a prime block on Congress Avenue between Fifth and Sixth streets, Lance Sallis, a partner in the Austin office of Stream Realty, told the American-Statesman in an exclusive interview. Stream Realty is a national real estate services, investment and development firm.
    The pending purchase consists of five parcels totaling 2.3 acres at the southeast corner of Congress and Sixth, plus a half-block directly east on Fifth Street between Brazos Street and San Jacinto Boulevard. The site includes the 26-story Bank of America tower.
    The site is at a high-profile intersection where developer Tom Stacy once planned a dramatic high-rise project. Stacy and financial partner Walton Street Capital are the parcel’s sellers.
    Stream is expected to close on the purchase in mid-April, Sallis said. The purchase price is not being disclosed. The five parcels are valued at more than $70 million by the Travis Central Appraisal District.
    Stream Realty Partners is acquiring the portfolio in a partnership with Wanxiang America Real Estate Group and Diversified Real Estate Capital, Sallis said. Heitman LLC is providing the debt.
    The Bank of America tower will remain as is, Sallis said. However, an adjacent annex at 501 Congress will be remodeled into a contemporary five-story building with 112,000 square feet of first-class office space and a rooftop deck. An existing valet parking garage will be torn down and replaced by an eight-story parking garage with 300 spaces. That garage structure will also include 5,500 square feet of street-level retail space, Sallis said.
    The office building and parking garage are both due to be completed in June 2014, Sallis said, and Stream has already received inquiries from prospective tenants.
    “We are pleased that we were able to purchase such a unique portfolio of real estate in downtown Austin,” Sallis said. “The (downtown) office market has limited vacancy and growing demand. The redeveloped 501 Congress office building will provide much needed space in the near term.”
    The site also includes the nine-story Littlefield parking garage with 535 spaces, plus 24 apartments and 30,000 square feet of retail space. By the end of this year, Stream plans to renovate the apartments as well as the retail space, the bulk of which has been vacant for the past 10 years.
    “We’re talking to several users now, representing a broad mix of uses,” Sallis said.
    Another parcel — a half block site on East Fifth Street between Brazos and San Jacinto — will be sold once Stream closes on the purchase. Sallis said there’s been interest from developers looking to build hotel, apartment and mixed-use projects there.
    “The central business district is experiencing unprecedented demand from each of the different user groups and we have been surprised by the broad level of interest from prospects for all of the individual parcels,” Sallis said.

More garages. Yay.

I hope that vacant lot gets sold to someone who will build something impressive.

http://www.austintowers.net/Austin_Downtown/index.php

Reporting that the half block lot between Neches and Red River just south of 9th will be getting a hotel.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast