+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Google to announce ultra high speed Internet in Austin

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erniefromclass View Post
    2 questions:

1. i have grande and in addition to the tivo there's this weird battery box thing. what is that? would getting google fiber get rid of that thing?

2. i've grown to like the actual tivo box. would i be able to use google fiber with a tivo brand tivo?
    #1 - I have one of those as well, plugs into a power outlet, couple of green LEDs, and it's probably got a cable running through the wall to the outside unit, which is most likely the ONT (Optical Network Terminal) which means you should have fiber.

The reason for the battery backup/power setup is that the ONT can't provide it's own fiber since it's not running over copper. Good news, in the event of a power outage you still have high-speed internet! I know, I've had it happen. You would have to unplug from your router and plug straight into the ONT cable.

#2 - I like the Tivo as well, but would give it up for a DVR that has 500+ hours of HD and well, Gigabit internet.

I really like the Tivo. I use the hell out of kmttg to transfer my Tivo recordings to my computer/ipad for watching later or archiving. I'm wondering if it'll be easy to pull recordings off of Google's DVR setup (it's actually a TV box, a 2TB storage box, and the network router).

asshat Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis's Avatar
    I'm wondering if it'll be easy to pull recordings off of Google's DVR setup (it's actually a TV box, a 2TB storage box, and the network router).
    I am sure that $#@! is locked down tighter than [some pure piece of ass]'s pussy.

But no problem, torrents will $#@!ing rip.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomHeartBevo View Post
    I really like the Tivo. I use the hell out of kmttg to transfer my Tivo recordings to my computer/ipad for watching later or archiving. I'm wondering if it'll be easy to pull recordings off of Google's DVR setup (it's actually a TV box, a 2TB storage box, and the network router).
    Hadn't heard of that. I gave up a long time ago trying to get stuff from Tivo to Mac. Going to try this now.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    You sure about that? I thought I wasn't under contract with Uverse, and then I discovered about 1/2 way through I was. Those $#@!ers use some $#@!ed up language to trap you in.
    i'll look again, but i've had uverse off and on for about 4 years. each of the two times i've canceled, i didn't pay anything to cancel.

this was in the uverse online bill and payment support section:

"Customer Service Summary & Terms of Service - Term Agreement Ended. You are currently not under any term agreement and may be eligible for an upgrade."

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    I am sure that $#@! is locked down tighter than [some pure piece of ass]'s pussy.
    Google has a similar setup to TivoToGo, which allows me to pull recordings off of my Tivo. TivoToGo is what allows you to view content on devices other than your TV, and Google's setup allows you to view the content on its included Tablet, computers, etc. That should make it really easy to pull off the box, and Google probably sticks to non-proprietary codecs.

I'm sure somebody will figure it out. Well I hope they will.

To add: You can upload your own content to the 2TB network storage, and manage it, so surely somebody will go the extra step and access the other files on there.

Quote Originally Posted by skipperj View Post
    Hadn't heard of that. I gave up a long time ago trying to get stuff from Tivo to Mac. Going to try this now.
    I was using iTivo, but was having issues with it. Found kmttg, haven't looked back. Make sure and have it delete the original files after it does its decoding with your MAK. kmttg allows you to undelete files and can basically function the same as the Tivo apps on iPhones/iPads/Android - check Todo lists, search for upcoming shows, etc. Looks cruder, but a lot more robust than iTivo.
    Last edited by AtomHeartBevo; 04-08-2013 at 09:45 PM.

I was using iTivo, but was having issues with it. Found kmttg, haven't looked back. Make sure and have it delete the original files after it does its decoding with your MAK. kmttg allows you to undelete files and can basically function the same as the Tivo apps on iPhones/iPads/Android - check Todo lists, search for upcoming shows, etc. Looks cruder, but a lot more robust than iTivo.
    Well, stupid ass TWC has the copy protection flag set on everything besides OTA, so this won't work for me either.

asshat rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic's Avatar
    Well, stupid ass TWC has the copy protection flag set on everything besides OTA, so this won't work for me either.
    You could get an HD capture card if you really care about getting stuff off your Tivo, but honestly, torrents/usenet/file hosts are so much faster and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-a-holic View Post
    You could get an HD capture card if you really care about getting stuff off your Tivo, but honestly, torrents/usenet/file hosts are so much faster and easier.
    Yeah, if there was something easy I was going to check it out and pull some stuff off. There's not, so I'll continue to use torrents. I'll probably jump into usenet pretty soon.

Are you putting in the Media Access Key? The TivoToGo $#@! is built-in, but maybe TWC has the ability to block it.

Before Grande/Tivo, I used a Hauppage HD PVR 1212 along with EyeTV as the software. It looks like the 1212 is being replaced by the Hauppage HD PVR 1512. ElGato has their own HD PVR that I think is made by Hauppage, but at the time I bought mine, it wasn't around.

The HD PVR thing, regardless of whether you went with Hauppage or ElGato's branded one, you basically run the component cables from your provider's DVR into the HD PVR box, which connects by USB to your Mac (or PC). Fire up EyeTV, set everything up, and then you can start recording and editing commercials out.

Pros: EyeTV software easy to use, easy to edit commercials.
    Cons: You're using analog/component cables. While it's HD, it's not 720 or 1080. Still doesn't look too bad. It's all in freaking real-time. For every hour you record and want to take off your DVR, it's an hour, because it's streaming through the component output to your USB HD PVR.

If I have to use it for Google's setup, I can do so. Stuff I care about in full-blown HD I can always buy in Blu-ray. Being able to pull off MPEGs in batches means I saved more stuff than the old way of using component cables and doing it in real-time. You get damn picky when it's in real-time and when it ties up the TV's DVR.

Are you putting in the Media Access Key? The TivoToGo $#@! is built-in, but maybe TWC has the ability to block it.
    Yes. It's always been this way with TWC. Tivo respects the copy protect key. With TWC, you can't even share programs between Tivos unless they are over the air. They set the flag on every single show except the OTA, which they legally can't.

I was hoping kmttg had another way of pulling the stuff other than using the TivoToGo API's to access the stuff.

$#@! TimeWarner.

asshat rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic's Avatar
    While it's HD, it's not 720 or 1080.
    Huh? You're doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-a-holic View Post
    Huh? You're doing something wrong.
    It's been a few years, 3-4 years, but at the time what I was getting out of the component output was 480p. Not sure why it wasn't going higher and never could figure out any settings. Very annoying at the time, because the software thought it was full HD and was taking up 12GB per hour of raw footage, when at 480p it should have been smaller. And at that time, the boxes were a few years old themselves.

Newer boxes may go all the way, but for whatever reason at the time, it seemed like they were crippling the component output. I gave up and just accepted things as they were, just like they had crippled the Firewire port.

To be fair, it could have been the hardware I was recording through. Just somewhere it was being downgraded.
    Last edited by AtomHeartBevo; 04-08-2013 at 11:24 PM.

asshat Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes's Avatar
    So was the "have underground utilities, but in the city of Austin am I $#@!ed" question ever settled?

Quote Originally Posted by Gardner Barnes View Post
    So was the "have underground utilities, but in the city of Austin am I $#@!ed" question ever settled?
    No, but I think that it's in the mix. Looking at those neighborhoods in KC that got it, no way they were all above ground utilities.

bunghole apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner Barnes View Post
    Looks like we'll be OK, it just might take longer since they have to (micro-)trench the cables.

asshat Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron's Avatar
    So today's the big day?

http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...-never-happen/

Just one day before Google is expected to announced that it will bring Google Fiber to Austin, Texas, two Wall Street analysts from Alliance Bernstein (Carlos Kirjner and Ram Parameswaran) have calculated that it would cost $11 billion annually to bring gigabit to the rest of the nation on the scale of other large nationwide providers like Comcast or Time Warner Cable. Based on that model, Google’s fiber network would pass “roughly 15 percent of US homes.”

By comparison, Google is worth (based on its market capitalization) around $253 billion—so the search giant would have to spend about four percent of its net worth (spread over five years) to bring a fair portion of us some of that sweet, cheap, crazy-fast broadband.

Google appears to be looking for cities that have a certain size (geographic area) and a certain population density—Austin's is roughly the same size as Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO combined. Google's aim, after all, is really to sell increasingly targeted ads—Fiber, like Gmail and search, is a means of doing that.
    Here's what the Bernstein folks say: "we believe Google Fiber has two related objectives: first, Google is seeking to figure out whether or not, or under what conditions, it can make money as a facilities-based provider of broadband and pay TV services; second, it is an opportunity for Google to test new applications, new ad formats and delivery models (e.g., targeted TV ads) and to get further insight into consumer behavior. We do not believe this effort will have any significant impact on regulation or legislation."
    Interesting they don't think it'll have much effect on regulation/legislation. Obviously it affects the areas where it's available, since it'll drive down prices and drive up speeds.

If they hit half a dozen TWC-heavy areas, bet it would affect TWC's bottom line.

So today's the big day?
    11am, KXAN and some of the others are broadcasting it live.

asshat Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police's Avatar
    What if North Korea nukes Austin before 11am?

Quote Originally Posted by erniefromclass View Post
    1. i have grande and in addition to the tivo there's this weird battery box thing. what is that? would getting google fiber get rid of that thing?
    What does said box look like? Is it a Cisco DPC3827? If so, yes, that would go away as that is your Docsis modem, wired/wireless router and also talks Moca so that your Tivo boxes can get their content.

asshat MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP's Avatar
    You can see the box here:

https://fiber.google.com/about/

Click on the highest tier (only $120, which is $60 cheaper than TWC). The DVR box allows recording 8 shows at once and has 2TB of space. And Longhorn Network.

asshat hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785's Avatar
    Any links to a live stream going on?

asshat Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic's Avatar
    Gig.U Congratulates the City of Austin, TX and Google for Gigabit Expansion

(WASHINGTON) Today, Google announced it will add Austin, Texas to the Google Fiber project, joining Kansas City, Kansas and Missouri as American communities that have the power to bring next generation networks home. Gig.U, a coalition of three-dozen research university communities working together to support educational and economic development by accelerating the deployment of next generation networks, issued the following statement by Executive Director Blair Levin:

Gig.U congratulates Google and the City of Austin for their initiative to bring a world-leading network to one of the world's great research university communities. This effort will pay enormous dividends for the country, as it will help develop the human capital America needs to lead a global economy that increasingly creates value with big data and big bandwidth. The Austin project, as well as the recent response to the North Carolina Next Generation Network project demonstrates that university communities are increasingly recognized as attractive partners for next generation network deployments because of the innovative spirit and demand profiles of their residents. We look forward to watching and learning from the exciting growth and innovation to come from the Google Fiber projects, and accelerating such efforts in Gig.U communities throughout the country.
    Link.

asshat ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club ToY Shaggy Bronze Club
    What's the realistic time frame before the first home gets online?

It took 18 months from the announcement to the deployment in KC. They should be better equipped to roll it out quicker now.

asshat texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax's Avatar
    can't wait!

asshat Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen's Avatar
    $#@!, I am excite, but I'm in the burbs with underground utilities. I may be $#@!ed. Come on Circle C/78739 $#@!ers, bombard them with requests. Need to have high speed @ home.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefeweizen View Post
    $#@!, I am excite, but I'm in the burbs with underground utilities. I may be $#@!ed. Come on Circle C/78739 $#@!ers, bombard them with requests. Need to have high speed @ home.
    On it. Going to tell my Luddite neighbors about it, too.

asshat Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Traffic's Avatar
    I would guess that Circle C would be an ideal community for this. Decent density and nice demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by hornfan785 View Post
    Any links to a live stream going on?
    http://www.kvue.com/news/local/Googl...202088511.html

asshat hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785 has a gigantic e-peen. hornfan785's Avatar
    thanks!

asshat updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club
    Where do you send a request
    (another circle c resident here)

asshat Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToY View Post
    What's the realistic time frame before the first home gets online?
    It really depends on what this announcement is. If this is like the "KC, we choose you" announcement, we are still months out. If this is like their "Deployment Announcement", then we could be weeks out.

http://www.kxan.com/generic/news/livestream-simulcast

here's another one in case the KVUE link isn't working.

Updated - https://fiber.google.com/about/

Here is some Austin specific info - https://fiber.google.com/cities/austin/

Biggest thing, not until 2014.
    Last edited by Captain Ron; 04-09-2013 at 11:17 AM.

damn a full year away

live music capital of the web!

Here is some Austin specific info - https://fiber.google.com/cities/austin/
    Damn. Already crashed when you try to sign up for updates.

Well hopefully HBO is a la carte in 2014

Damn. Already crashed when you try to sign up for updates.
    I think you have some time.

I think you have some time.
    Haha. Yeah.

Get Rick Perry the $#@! out of there

The timeline for KC was this:
    March 30, 2011 - The Selection of Kansas City was announced
    July 26, 2012 - The deployment annoucement was made, start of 6-week rally to rate interest
    Sept, 2012 - Rally ends, installs start

I would think that Google will shorten that timeline for Austin, with their experience of the KC build out, so I don't think we are looking at 18 months before the deployment starts.

This reeks of a selection announcement. In KC, they went and requested deposits to select the areas that would get the deployment while selecting the third party contractors. Agreed it won't be as long, but it really depends more on how they select the neighborhoods. But it should definitely be shorter than 18 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    Get Rick Perry the $#@! out of there
    Probably wants to install Toll internet or make sure that UT doesn't get Google internet.

Gotta hurry up and graduate so I can move back to Austin.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast