+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Google to announce ultra high speed Internet in Austin

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Texted a neighbor who works for the city in IT, he said they never really stopped working on getting this, even after KC, and he said they will try to fast track this, but there are a lot of variables. He said the city and utilities were working closely with Google to make sure any holdups were not bureaucratic.

Wonder what Time Warner and AT&T are dong right now. Can't see them going down without a fight, but they can't exactly oppose it, given the fury people directed at TWC here over bandwidth caps a few years ago.

omg Tacos on the roof

asshat Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gordogg24p View Post
    Gotta hurry up and graduate so I can move back to Austin.
    You're doing it wrong.

asshat CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? CPHornFan's Avatar
    And, of course, Google isn't coming into the suburbs so we're still stuck with $#@!ty TWC or dish.

asshat Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomHeartBevo View Post
    Texted a neighbor who works for the city in IT, he said they never really stopped working on getting this, even after KC, and he said they will try to fast track this, but there are a lot of variables. He said the city and utilities were working closely with Google to make sure any holdups were not bureaucratic.

Wonder what Time Warner and AT&T are dong right now. Can't see them going down without a fight, but they can't exactly oppose it, given the fury people directed at TWC here over bandwidth caps a few years ago.
    That's really cool. I knew that Google would look to adding other cities as soon as they could, I just never thought that time would be within 1 year of deployment in KC. Grantd, we are probably at least 12 months from any deployment in Austin, but still, this is big news. It makes you wonder where and when City 3 would be.

As far as TWC and AT&T - they are probably worried. I wonder what happened to the KC revenue of TWC as the deployment continued. I can't help but think they went down. They won't go down without a fight of course, but they are going to have to step up their game if they want to survive/thrive.

Local restaurants should watch out - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...kc-restaurant/
    More than an hour before the blast, a subcontractor working for a cable company hit a gas line with underground boring equipment. Then "something" inside the restaurant ignited the fuel

asshat judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHornFan View Post
    And, of course, Google isn't coming into the suburbs so we're still stuck with $#@!ty TWC or dish.
    Yeah, but it'll go to the new $200 million downtown library so you can download your ebooks really fast.

asshat Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHornFan View Post
    Not initially. But I would expect it within a year of the first deployments. The KC deployment is starting to target the suburbs of KC now, 7 months after they first starting installing.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
    That's really cool. I knew that Google would look to adding other cities as soon as they could, I just never thought that time would be within 1 year of deployment in KC. Grantd, we are probably at least 12 months from any deployment in Austin, but still, this is big news. It makes you wonder where and when City 3 would be.

As far as TWC and AT&T - they are probably worried. I wonder what happened to the KC revenue of TWC as the deployment continued. I can't help but think they went down. They won't go down without a fight of course, but they are going to have to step up their game if they want to survive/thrive.

Local restaurants should watch out - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...kc-restaurant/
    It pretty much proved that internet service is far more profitable than they admit and they've all been price gouging us
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/pre...slashes-rates/

bunghole apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin American Statesman
    Google will build its network without incentives from the city or state, but it did seek a high level of cooperation from the city and from Austin Energy, the city-operated utility company, which owns the utility poles on which much of the network will be strung.
    I don't want to hear $#@! from TWC and AT&T about having a level playing field here. They've had their monopolies long enough to have done something to prevent Google from moving in if they wanted.

Get everyone you know to sign up for updates. It's the first sign they have of interest in your area:
    https://fiber.google.com/cities/austin/

Quote Originally Posted by Hefeweizen View Post
    $#@!, I am excite, but I'm in the burbs with underground utilities. I may be $#@!ed. Come on Circle C/78739 $#@!ers, bombard them with requests. Need to have high speed @ home.
    Google will build its network without incentives from the city or state, but it did seek a high level of cooperation from the city and from Austin Energy, the city-operated utility company, which owns the utility poles on which much of the network will be strung.
    Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by skipperj View Post
    Gondolas??

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyHorn View Post
    Gondolas??
    Well now I am.

Quote Originally Posted by apd183 View Post
    I don't want to hear $#@! from TWC and AT&T about having a level playing field here. They've had their monopolies long enough to have done something to prevent Google from moving in if they wanted.
    Sadly we're going from a duopoly, in most cases, to a triopoly.

The municipality should be the one installing the fiber to a meet me room and then any provider that wants to (and is capable) can connect and provide whatever services they want on that fiber.

bunghole apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183 grows his own roses apd183's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by relapse98 View Post

The municipality should be the one installing the fiber to a meet me room and then any provider that wants to (and is capable) can connect and provide whatever services they want on that fiber.
    That would be a good way to do it, but there are many things that stand in the way, especially in Austin. It'd be great if some smaller cities started doing this to show how it could be done.

Uh, I think so Brain. But where are we going to find 4 chimps and a case of bananas?

"AT&T Announces Intent to Build 1 Gigabit Fiber Network in Austin"

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...36275&mapcode=

Stat Adjuster Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry Shaggy Platinum Huckleberry's Avatar
    Somebody give me one good reason why these networks aren't referred to as "ludicrous speed."

asshat updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by MC Fresh Breath View Post

Great. They are already firing up the sabotage machine.

Can't wait to see what twc's response is

asshat NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse's Avatar
    Cause that name is already taken?

How about Ludacris Speed!

Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    Somebody give me one good reason why these networks aren't referred to as "ludicrous speed."

Chieftain of Aggression Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan Definitely Shaggy upper class Brisketexan's Avatar
    Meanwhile, TWC announces its plan to continue to slowly luxuriate in the smoove assraping it's giving its customers.

asshat NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO Shaggy Silver Club NaTe WHO's Avatar
    I'm going to be getting a house around September and this is going to be a major factor. Which neighborhoods does the Shag think will have the best shot at this? With ATT trying to compete, this may become pretty wide spread.

asshat Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen's Avatar
    Yea, that being outside Austin Energy means we're $#@!ed in the pooper, proper.

Quote Originally Posted by MC Fresh Breath View Post

Too little, to late if you ask me.

This move by AT&T simply demonstrates to me that this was something they could have done a long time ago. They simply didn't because they cared less about delivering top quality service and more about making money hand over fist.

Now they are reacting to Google coming in and busting down their door.

Proactive companies set the bar, reactive companies are always playing catch up.

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post

The thing is, Google won't be hiring many employees directly here in Austin, because the vast majority of work will be done by contractors. They could announce another city tomorrow and it wouldn't slow down Austin or KC. Everything they learned in KC will be applied here.

I would expect the third city to be similar in size and density and with a lot of tech companies. Probably on the west coast.

As for TWC, supposedly they did drop prices and up speeds in areas in KC and they claim they can always raise speeds if consumers demand it. AT&T doesn't have the luxury of raising speeds too much because of technical issues, and once their Uverse deployment is finished in 2015, that's it for them as far as high-speed. AT&T probably has bigger problems with some wireless carriers dropping contracts.

Really weird that this is going to happen in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    It pretty much proved that internet service is far more profitable than they admit and they've all been price gouging us
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/pre...slashes-rates/
    Yeah, but unfortunately most people don't realize that TWC could be providing better service. Really pisses me off that monopolies/duopolies were allowed to gouge that much, but things are looking up.

It's as close to a free market as we'll get, and arguably it is since we are making such a huge leap for such a cheap price. AT&T and TWC rarely impacted each other, and even Grande had a hard time making an impact on things - maybe keeping prices down a bit, but that's it.

Google absolutely impacts everybody involved.

edit Not a coincidence that AT&T has decided it can all of the sudden start in on a Gigabit network.
    Last edited by AtomHeartBevo; 04-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.

asshat feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore.
    So as a current TWC customer (God help me) who just found out AT&T is now able to install cable/internet in my place…who should I go with now? I’ve going back and forth with them the past few days and they both are pissing me off. Only pro to TWC is no contract. Looks like AT&T makes you sign a contract now for a year.

Google can't get here soon enough.

I wonder if all the "serial entrepreneurs" who spend more time on their black & white FB photos than building their start-ups will leave my local Starbucks in KS and decide to be unemployed in Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by NaTe WHO View Post
    I'm going to be getting a house around September and this is going to be a major factor. Which neighborhoods does the Shag think will have the best shot at this? With ATT trying to compete, this may become pretty wide spread.
    Based on KC and statements made in general on the Google Fiber blog and elsewhere about Google's goals and what they are using to demonstrate the need, most likely around the UT campus and around the medical districts.

They are touting research and medical imaging as big uses for gigabit fiber, and they are actually good examples. Medical imaging can generate a lot of really large files, and a lot of doctors would probably love to work out of their offices more, which means the medical districts. Researchers/professors/grad students at UT would be prime examples as well.

Plus downtown Austin has a lot of networking infrastructure hooking into the national backbone, so the closer they are to that, the better/easier it is for them to start.

If I had to bet money, I would say the area bordered by 35 and MoPac, and south of 45th Street down to the lake. It's a pretty dense and mixed area of housing, business, and education, lots of medical and UT-related personnel and business, and most importantly, lots of middle-to-upper class neighborhoods that would probably be first adapters.

If you want to narrow it down further, I'd say MoPac to I-35, and 45th Street down to around 11th Street for the first round - you would get UT, you would get some major hospitals, you would get a good mix of neighborhoods, you would get a helluva lot of medical offices and business, and you'd get the Capitol, but I could see them extending it down to City Hall as a goodwill gesture.

Obviously those would be broken up into several fiberhoods or whatever, but in theory they should go fast since outside of downtown, everything would be along power lines, and the density is high and areas fairly small.

You could look at a map with Grande's coverage as well as AT&T's Uverse coverage and probably be close as well, since they only built out in specific areas for the same reasons Google would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by feed_the_horse View Post
    So as a current TWC customer (God help me) who just found out AT&T is now able to install cable/internet in my place…who should I go with now? I’ve going back and forth with them the past few days and they both are pissing me off. Only pro to TWC is no contract. Looks like AT&T makes you sign a contract now for a year.

True on the Google part.

When you sign up for AT&T, you do have to sign a contract, which does suck, however, realize that 12 months would put you around April of next year. And Google deployment won't be until 2014, maybe even around that time frame. Hell, even if you have to pay double a few months, it might be worth it.

IMHO, if AT&T is willing to play ball with you - get them for all you can, and then jump to Google if/when you can.

asshat updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club updawg Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by feed_the_horse View Post
    So as a current TWC customer (God help me) who just found out AT&T is now able to install cable/internet in my place?who should I go with now? I?ve going back and forth with them the past few days and they both are pissing me off. Only pro to TWC is no contract. Looks like AT&T makes you sign a contract now for a year.

I'd probably go with one year of AT&T. I'm assuming google wont be in your area for around a year or so.

Per twitter, LHN will be on Google Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by BaggyBevo View Post
    Per twitter, LHN will be on Google Fiber
    Yeah. It's been on there awhile, when they added all their ESPN channels.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic View Post
    I wouldn't etch this in stone or anything. But it does give a time table.

Our goal is to start connecting homes in Austin by mid-2014.
    Hopefully sooner.

asshat feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore. feed_the_horse is a rep whore.
    Thanks Captain Ron and updawg. I'll try again with AT&T. Whoever is the lowest, wins.

I'm curious. AT&T was basically giving up on Uverse after 2015 and freezing it in place then, but at least in Austin they are either upgrading it radically or doing something completely different with this announced Gigabit offering. I was never under the impression that Austin was a huge AT&T Uverse market, that it was mostly Time Warner, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, why is AT&T offering this in Austin?

Are there enough potential losses from people switching from AT&T to Google to justify it? Is AT&T worried that they could be completely squeezed out of the broadband market within a decade or so if Google does another half a dozen cities or more?

Or do they feel between the two Gigabit offerings, it's a serious one-two punch to Time Warner in this area? If so, could it be an experiment on their part to see if they could make serious inroads on Time Warner's market share elsewhere with such an offering? Time Warner can up their speeds quite a bit.

I read it as they are going to piggyback along with google on rolling it out. When something goes well for google but not AT&T they will bitch and moan. A ploy to slow down the rollout. I'm sure their lobbyists are busy for the rest of this session.

asshat maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack's Avatar
    this vid been posted?

Quote Originally Posted by updawg View Post
    I read it as they are going to piggyback along with google on rolling it out. When something goes well for google but not AT&T they will bitch and moan. A ploy to slow down the rollout. I'm sure their lobbyists are busy for the rest of this session.
    Yeah, their press release hinted at that.

asshat lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch Shaggy Gold Club lurch's Avatar
    Thought this was interesting

Kirjner estimates the two Kansas City rollouts will surpass 149,000 homes, and he says it will cost about $84 million just to lay the infrastructure for those customers. He estimates it will cost Google $464 to connect each Internet-only customer, and $794 for a TV and Internet home. Connection costs could be similar or even a bit lower in Austin, whose population density is higher than Kansas City.
    Link

asshat Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes Shaggy Silver Club Gardner Barnes's Avatar

Google to announce ultra high speed Internet in Austin

AT&T?s expanded fiber plans in Austin anticipate it will be granted the same terms and conditions as Google on issues such as geographic scope of offerings, rights of way, permitting, state licenses and any investment incentives,? officials said Tuesday.
    Seems like AT&T wants to make this as difficult as possible for Google.
    Last edited by Gardner Barnes; 04-09-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Just like in Kansas City, they're complaining about Google's preferential treatment. Maybe if they asked in the first place they would have gotten it.

@atom: AT&T obviously isn't concerned about leading if there's no money in it, so this has to be about stemming a rush of customers to competitors. They'd rather have someone paying them a little less than nothing at all. As someone above said (you?), given their current technologies, fiber is the only way they can keep up.
    Last edited by apd183; 04-09-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomHeartBevo View Post
    You could look at a map with Grande's coverage as well as AT&T's Uverse coverage and probably be close as well, since they only built out in specific areas for the same reasons Google would consider.
    Not necessarily true. Grande was forced by the City of Austin, back when there were city franchise agreements, to provide service in certain 'lower income demographic' areas that a new provider, now that there are no longer city franchise agreements that can force you to do such things, might do differently. Of course, if hipsters keep moving to East Austin, that will become less of a 'lid' than it was before.

$#@! those $#@!ers. They've been rate-limiting "unlimited" data plans, complaining about high-volume users, and encouraging families to "share" plans for five $#@!ing years now. Where's your initiative to improve the state of infrastructure in this city/state/country, you sacks of $#@!? Complaining about HOW people are consuming your service, instead of continuing to invest to KEEP us using is how you lose customers. Google isn't shying away from the costs, but you sure as $#@! are. $#@! you.

asshat ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas's Avatar
    AT&T, Time Warner say they’ll step up to compete with Google Fiber

“We’re prepared for added competition,” Time Warner said in a statement. “With a scalable, state-of-the-art network already in the ground across Central Texas and our experienced engineers developing next-generation network enhancements, we stand ready for any new competition to enter the market. We already provide fiber-based multi-gigabit speed for many commercial customers throughout our service areas and for consumers, we offer several tiers of residential service.”

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...te-with/nXHLJ/

asshat Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Grammer Police's Avatar
    for consumers, we offer several tiers of residential service
    Revolutionary!

/sarcasm

asshat MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP's Avatar
    As a hardcore gamer I'm in love with the thought of having Google Fiber. They have Longhorn Network, and an awesome 1TB cloud storage, 2 TB of DVR storage, and a Nexus 7 tablet thrown in. The ONLY thing is has going against it right now is they offer Showtime and Starz but no HBO. If they work a deal with HBO to get my Game of Thrones fix in before their 2014 launch, they won't be able to pull me off the phone fast enough.

asshat texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texassax's Avatar
    Experienced engineers developing next-generation network enhancements
    Translation: "with the flip of a switch we'll increase speeds, which we could have done long ago but have intentionally kept down just to gouge our customers, because someone else is going to offer more."

Not necessarily true. Grande was forced by the City of Austin, back when there were city franchise agreements, to provide service in certain 'lower income demographic' areas that a new provider, now that there are no longer city franchise agreements that can force you to do such things, might do differently. Of course, if hipsters keep moving to East Austin, that will become less of a 'lid' than it was before.
    No, sorry, wasn't clear, I'm talking about the area between MoPac and 35, and south of 45th Street to downtown. Not all of those areas are covered by Grande/Uverse obviously, but the areas that are covered are pretty densely packed and probably prime for Google.

I was kind of surprised by KC, apparently it's quite a bit less dense than Austin, however Google had a ton of concessions, which TWC and AT&T complained about. Sounded like the concessions helped nudge KC to the top.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast