+ Reply to Thread
Page 694 of 694 FirstFirst ... 194 594 644 684 690 691 692 693 694
Results 34,651 to 34,686 of 34686

Thread: Texas Recruiting Notes: 2017 Edition

asshat SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by utfan87 View Post
    http://m.tulsaworld.com/test/okpreps...b0a5069a7.html

I didn't know if anyone posted this Tulsa report on Reese quotes from Herman
    I hadn't seen that. Sure seems obvious to me we're going to see Reese Leitao on the roster.

If you google Allen Smallwood, he seems just as impressive as you'd think he'd be for the defense attorney of the son of a man who makes almost $1m per year. He's the former president of the state bar association, and he was the defense attorney for a defense attorney facing charges after the death of a passenger in his car. If someone in the profession chooses you to defend his case, that's saying something.

April 18 isn't too far off. That District Attorney sure sounded more sympathetic to the case than I assumed he'd be.

I realize for the folks who want to get the pitchforks out - and understand, I'm sympathetic to the mindset, I just don't share it - this isn't going to be helpful, but I was told this guy has the potential to be a star at the TE position. Based on that article, and what I've assumed regarding Tom Herman and how he's going to run the program, we're going to get a chance to find out.

Again, don't wear your halos too tight when talking about other programs from now on.

asshat Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen. Fondren & Main has a gigantic e-peen.
    Quote Originally Posted by SL Xpress View Post
    I hadn't seen that. Sure seems obvious to me we're going to see Reese Leitao on the roster.

If you google Allen Smallwood, he seems just as impressive as you'd think he'd be for the defense attorney of the son of a man who makes almost $1m per year. He's the former president of the state bar association, and he was the defense attorney for a defense attorney facing charges after the death of a passenger in his car. If someone in the profession chooses you to defend his case, that's saying something.

April 18 isn't too far off. That District Attorney sure sounded more sympathetic to the case than I assumed he'd be.

I realize for the folks who want to get the pitchforks out - and understand, I'm sympathetic to the mindset, I just don't share it - this isn't going to be helpful, but I was told this guy has the potential to be a star at the TE position. Based on that article, and what I've assumed regarding Tom Herman and how he's going to run the program, we're going to get a chance to find out.

Again, don't wear your halos too tight when talking about other programs from now on.
    If he gets a slap on the wrist there is no way he contributes. He'll $#@! up again. Probably end up pulling a Hardeman.

asshat dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad's Avatar
    I was surprised that the AD wasn't at least portraying taking a hard stance even if he did have those opinions.

asshat The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas's Avatar
    I don't see any quotes from Herman in that article.

I see a defense attorney painting the rosiest picture humanly possible for his client and paraphrasing Herman, according to himself.

Making assumptions about Herman based on that guy's story is a major stretch.
    Last edited by The Earl of Texas; Yesterday at 08:38 AM.

asshat SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club SL Xpress Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by The Earl of Texas View Post
    I don't see any quotes from Herman in that article.

I see a defense attorney painting the rosiest picture humanly possible for his client and paraphrasing Herman, according to himself.

Making assumptions about Herman based on that guy's story is a major stretch.
    We'll see how it goes, then. I'm not making assumptions on Herman based on what's in that article. I'm making assumptions regarding Herman based on how he ran the program at UH, how Urban Meyer ran the football program everywhere he's been, and how Herman has run the program at UT so far.

But if Leitao pleas the charges down to a misdemeanor in April, and Herman still refuses to let him be a part of the team, I'll absolutely make a mea culpa. I just don't think that's going to happen. In fact, I feel pretty convicted about it. People who are thinking otherwise are going to have to create an adjustment in their fandom in some way. Either accept that this is how it is at Texas now, or turn their back on the program, or carry on with either some kind of cognitive dissonance, or just flat out denial. But that's to each person to figure out. I already know where I am. I'm trying to help prepare people for that eventuality, but you're right. There's a chance I'm reading this completely wrong. It wouldn't bother me if Leitao were somehow able to get this plea bargained down, and then have to find an alternative route. I'm not rooting for him to come to Texas per se. I just think the path is set already.

Quote Originally Posted by dad View Post
    I was surprised that the AD wasn't at least portraying taking a hard stance even if he did have those opinions.
    Yeah, me too. It's part of why I think it's inevitable this gets reduced to a misdemeanor, and Leitao ends up on campus. And quicker rather than slower.

Would another kid entering UT that was in a similar situation be admitted in August?

asshat The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas's Avatar
    I'm not making assumptions on Herman based on what's in that article.
    Are you sure?

Anyway, I don't even give a $#@!. I'm just saying that utfan87 posted that and said there were Herman quotes in the article, of which there were none and the writer even explicitly wrote that Herman was not reached for comment, and as a general rule in life don't take defense attorney statements at face value.

Are you sure?

Anyway, I don't even give a $#@!. I'm just saying that utfan87 posted that and said there were Herman quotes in the article, of which there were none and the writer even explicitly wrote that Herman was not reached for comment, and as a general rule in life don't take defense attorney statements at face value.
    My post was about the Assistant District Attorney's comments. I was shocked at how much he was openly willing to talk about the charges getting reduced, and even hinted it could come at the court hearing on April 18. It had very little to do with anything said about Herman in there. I've always said if the charges get reduced to a misdemeanor, Herman is going to bring Leitao to campus regardless of what any of us think about it. I've said repeatedly Herman is running this program in a different way than what we're accustomed to. It's going on regularly right now in recruiting, particularly in terms of the increase in unofficial visits Texas is seeing, and the friendlier relations with trainers and other third parties. We saw it with Casey Horny. We're going to see it with a more Darrell Royal "Meat on the Hoof" approach with practices and the amount of players brought in for every class.

But in terms of you discounting anything it's suggested Herman said by Leitao's defense attorney, I have no problem with that. My apologies that I miscommunicated in my post that those comments were even pertinent to me, because they weren't. It's only the Assistant DA's comments that I found interesting. Well, that and the fact the Allen Smallwood guy is obviously a badass as a criminal defense lawyer. I mean, I expected that, but now it's been confirmed.

Are you related to Randolph Duke? Mortimer, perhaps?

Could you clarify? I see similarities, but I'm curious as to what you see them as.

asshat theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon's Avatar
    Could you clarify? I see similarities, but I'm curious as to what you see them as.
    You write too long of posts.

Yeah, that I can absolutely see. It's been that way as long as I've been posting. But it's not going to change, so the best I can tell folks to put them out of their misery is put me on ignore.

Frankly, Shaggy has changed since I used to post. The responses are much shorter, and less substantive, and the posts are herded into massive threads that are treated as trains on rails, with any post off subject acted as if it's caused some kind of pileup. Since none of that jibes with me, I'm going to continually be out of step with the rest of the culture. Which is just how it's going to be.

My hope is that at some point other people will begin writing more substantive responses. But whether that occurs or not is obviously outside my control.

asshat Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer Shaggy Platinum Walden Ponderer's Avatar
    That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
    Yeah, that I can absolutely see. It's been that way as long as I've been posting. But it's not going to change, so the best I can tell folks to put them out of their misery is put me on ignore.

Frankly, Shaggy has changed since I used to post. The responses are much shorter, and less substantive, and the posts are herded into massive threads that are treated as trains on rails, with any post off subject acted as if it's caused some kind of pileup. Since none of that jibes with me, I'm going to continually be out of step with the rest of the culture. Which is just how it's going to be.

My hope is that at some point other people will begin writing more substantive responses. But whether that occurs or not is obviously outside my control.

asshat theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon's Avatar

You can be substantive and concise. Efficient writing is powerful writing. The less words you can use to say the same thing the more poignant you'll be.

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theaveragejon View Post
    You can be substantive and concise. Efficient writing is powerful writing. The less words you can use to say the same thing the more poignant you'll be.
    You said the same thing 3 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    You said the same thing 3 times.
    Thatsthejoke.

asshat UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow's Avatar

asshat UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theaveragejon View Post
    So much this. I remember telling SL that Brevity is the soul of wit a while back. I believe he responded with roughly a 1,000 word post. Lulz. The idea that substance can only be achieved with posts the length of SL's is misguided.

We don't hate what you post, but no one wants to trudge through 1,000 words just to get your point.

asshat UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texifornia View Post
    Holland and Roach joined Warren in CBing Hobbs to us.

You guys keep coaching me, and we'll see where that goes. And by that, I mean it's not going to have an appreciable effect. But good luck!

asshat UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn's Avatar
    You guys keep coaching me, and we'll see where that goes. And by that, I mean it's not going to have an appreciable effect. But good luck!
    25 words!!!

And you said our coaching wouldn't do anything.

I'm making assumptions regarding Herman based on how he ran the program at UH
    What did he do at UH that was shady/underhanded?

I've said repeatedly Herman is running this program in a different way than what we're accustomed to.
    Emphasis on repeatedly, I'm sure, but we had plenty of dudes get in trouble under Mack for drugs (and much worse).

It's going on regularly right now in recruiting, particularly in terms of the increase in unofficial visits Texas is seeing, and the friendlier relations with trainers and other third parties.
    It is?

We saw it with Casey Horny.
    We did?!

We're going to see it with a more Darrell Royal "Meat on the Hoof" approach with practices and the amount of players brought in for every class.
    We will?!?

==================================

In all seriousness, I think you might want to consider that you're explaining everything you see to yourself so that it fits the narrative you're looking to see. Most of what you're presenting as 'evidence' could be argued (and most of it already has been, to the point of nausea on this site, so I'll leave any follow ups as they are).

Actually I don't think I'm presenting a whole lot of evidence. What $#@!ing good would that do? I've been down that road before plenty of times, on numerous different sites. This board hosts one of the most famous examples of it, actually. The more I say, the more proof people want, and the bigger the $#@! storm it becomes. I've been posting for 20 years. I've called out plenty of things that became apparent to others afterwards. But I'm not perfect, as much as I like to act like I am. I get things wrong. I could be getting the Leitao thing wrong, too. But I don't think so.

So no, I'm not going to talk about specifics Herman did that wouldn't fly well at Texas. That's dumb. I've already talked about as much specifically regarding the program differences as I'm willing to. But to regurgitate the ones I have already outlined, he's going to be willing to deal with trainers and third parties, and "encourage" people to make unofficial visits, in ways Mack Brown and Charlie Strong never did. They never wanted to go down that slippery slope. Under Herman, we're going full gallop. I'm okay with it, because Texas is behind the times in that regard, and it's something every school in the region, and every major player, particularly in the southeast, has been doing for years. The players are going to get injured more frequently. There will be more concussions. There will be more transfers, and more signees. To be fair, he only had 19 at UH his one full recruiting cycle there, but he had a different recruiting platform, and a different dynamic there. At Texas I feel certain he's going down the Meyer/Saban model, but we'll see.

I do not believe either Mack Brown nor Charlie Strong make the Casey Horny hire. And yes, Mack Brown players got in trouble repeatedly, but there wasn't anyone who dealt drugs at their high school who was brought on board. That's the kind of thing both Brown and Strong would have ixnayed immediately, but Herman is willing to "let the justice system play out." To be honest, I don't have a problem with it. That's exactly how Saban would have done it, and I was all onboard for him possibly coming here in 2014, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite when we get a coach who is willing to do Nick Saban things 3 years later, just because he's not Nick Saban. What I don't want to see is Texas become another Baylor or Penn State, and I'll go ballistic (for all the good it will do) if Herman ever tries to pull a stunt like what Stoops did with Joe Mixon. Because I absolutely believe Herman is capable of the same kind of decision making.

I realize this isn't sufficient for you, but it doesn't have to be. Just watch it play out. Hopefully Tom Herman is wildly successful, doesn't run into any NCAA issues nor any personal scandals, and he's able to be a terrific coach for Texas for a long time. But you're still repeatedly going to see signs of it, and when you do, remember what I was posting way back in spring of 2017. And if a major scandal does break out, or Texas does get in trouble with the NCAA...well, there it is.

But none of that has happened, yet, so let's see where it all takes us, shall we?

asshat DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne's Avatar
    Actually I don't think I'm presenting a whole lot of evidence. What $#@!ing good would that do? I've been down that road before plenty of times, on numerous different sites. This board hosts one of the most famous examples of it, actually. The more I say, the more proof people want, and the bigger the $#@! storm it becomes. I've been posting for 20 years. I've called out plenty of things that became apparent to others afterwards. But I'm not perfect, as much as I like to act like I am. I get things wrong. I could be getting the Leitao thing wrong, too. But I don't think so.

So no, I'm not going to talk about specifics Herman did that wouldn't fly well at Texas. That's dumb. I've already talked about as much specifically regarding the program differences as I'm willing to. But to regurgitate the ones I have already outlined, he's going to be willing to deal with trainers and third parties, and "encourage" people to make unofficial visits, in ways Mack Brown and Charlie Strong never did. They never wanted to go down that slippery slope. Under Herman, we're going full gallop. I'm okay with it, because Texas is behind the times in that regard, and it's something every school in the region, and every major player, particularly in the southeast, has been doing for years. The players are going to get injured more frequently. There will be more concussions. There will be more transfers, and more signees. To be fair, he only had 19 at UH his one full recruiting cycle there, but he had a different recruiting platform, and a different dynamic there. At Texas I feel certain he's going down the Meyer/Saban model, but we'll see.

I do not believe either Mack Brown nor Charlie Strong make the Casey Horny hire. And yes, Mack Brown players got in trouble repeatedly, but there wasn't anyone who dealt drugs at their high school who was brought on board. That's the kind of thing both Brown and Strong would have ixnayed immediately, but Herman is willing to "let the justice system play out." To be honest, I don't have a problem with it. That's exactly how Saban would have done it, and I was all onboard for him possibly coming here in 2014, so I'm not going to be a hypocrite when we get a coach who is willing to do Nick Saban things 3 years later, just because he's not Nick Saban. What I don't want to see is Texas become another Baylor or Penn State, and I'll go ballistic (for all the good it will do) if Herman ever tries to pull a stunt like what Stoops did with Joe Mixon. Because I absolutely believe Herman is capable of the same kind of decision making.

I realize this isn't sufficient for you, but it doesn't have to be. Just watch it play out. Hopefully Tom Herman is wildly successful, doesn't run into any NCAA issues nor any personal scandals, and he's able to be a terrific coach for Texas for a long time. But you're still repeatedly going to see signs of it, and when you do, remember what I was posting way back in spring of 2017. And if a major scandal does break out, or Texas does get in trouble with the NCAA...well, there it is.

But none of that has happened, yet, so let's see where it all takes us, shall we?
    Are you aware how schools in the southeast and regional players like ou, tcu, aggie & baylor play the game you state we are now playing? If so, accusing us of paying for players is a big accusation. Very different to develop relationships with players, trainer and family vs. making donations to non-profit training and religious organizations....What you suggest goes beyond a shade of grey.
    Last edited by DwayneWayne; Yesterday at 04:13 PM.

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar

you NEVER post anything substantive. i trudged through a dozen or so of your first novels when you returned to the site, hoping you were actually saying something new, compelling, funny or any other quality that would make it worth reading...newsflash, dude: YOU SAY NOTHING!

so here's what's going to happen...with each 1,000 word essay devoid of anything worth reading, posters will begin tuning you out until eventually you're just typing for the sake of typing, with maybe 1 or 2 posters as a captive audience. that will start to bore you and then you'll disappear again.

that will be a good day for the shag.

asshat TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS Shaggy Bronze Club TULAUS's Avatar
    Dumpsta fiahhh
    Dumpsta fiahhh
    The cruitinng board is a
    Dumpsta fiahhh

bunghole Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54 is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Katfid54's Avatar
    Walk into the recruiting thread like:

^Location checks out

Quote Originally Posted by DwayneWayne View Post
    Are you aware how schools in the southeast and regional players like ou, tcu, aggie & baylor play the game you state we are now playing? If so, accusing us of paying for players is a big accusation. Very different to develop relationships with players, trainer and family vs. making donations to non-profit training and religious organizations....What you suggest goes beyond a shade of grey.
    Take it any way you like.

Look, Texas has never been completely innocent. It's amazing how many jobs have come open for different families over the years. We don't emphasize it loudly. But there are dozens of examples.

What I will say is that there is no way relationships with third parties - whether trainers or 7on7 coordinators or Uncles or anyone else with a similar title - will ever be completely innocent. If you enjoy sticking your fingers in your ears while shouting "la la la la" out of tune, go right ahead. Texas has played with one hand tied behind their back for years. The realm of college football has morphed into an entirely different kind of monster over the last few years. The money is dwarfing anything that ever came before. The labor costs have stayed stagnant. There is a huge marginal difference from one labor input to another. Basic economics says that a limited supply with an overwhelming demand is going to see prices rise. And prices have risen. The costs of being an elite program, whether it comes to support staff, facilities, or who gets compensated outside the football program, have expanded tremendously.

Shoot, listen to Nick Saban's latest rant, which was triggered by a question about "ball control":

https://youtu.be/ZllcLrFcO-A?t=2m

At the 2m mark he starts going off about how the NCAA won't allow high school coaches to work the summer camps, which means a greater influence for third parties in terms of bringing kids on campus. What is clearly inferred is that Alabama is going to figure out ways to compensate people for getting kids there, just like they have been for years and years. Both above board and under the table.

The key thing I'd emphasize is that it's not really a matter of whether Texas can win by running a lily white program. That isn't even an important discussion point any more. The question is, can Texas actually find a coach who has a strong enough burning desire to win to be an elite championship level coach who isn't going to want to compete on a level playing field with other elite programs. My strongest suggestion is the answer to that is no. Charlie Strong was a nice experiment. A good guy, with tons of integrity, who was always going to represent the school well. Only he lost 21 $#@!ing games in 3 years and was a complete joke as a coach while doing it. He had an office door policy, and was great at schmoozing with kids and their parents, but at the end of the day he was the highest paid guidance counselor in the country. And then he was fired, while pleading his case that he should be allowed to keep his job because he was such a great leader of young men.

There are some of you who think to themselves that "I don't want to follow a program that doesn't do things the right way." And that's fine. But my suggestion is you should get off the Tom Herman train sooner rather than later. Because this cat wants to win more than he wants anything in his life. His Dad left him as a toddler, and came back as the community drunkard when he was in high school, Hoosiers' Shooter style. He had 16 knee surgeries and 3 shoulder surgeries just so he could prove to himself he was capable of playing at the Cal Lutheran level of football for one season. He worked his way up the hard way through the small Texas school circuit. Football has given him every purpose in life. It's given him a wonderful living, a beautiful family, but it's done so because he's had a stronger desire to win than anyone else around him. You can't do surgery with that quality and still have the same person left. That quality is going to manifest itself in all kinds of different ways, some of which we will get excited about, and others which we won't. But it's a total package thing.

And again, my suggestion to the folks who are carrying such a huge burden from those angel wings while you look condescendingly at the programs around the country that are willing to take short cuts, is that the list of coaches who are capable of leading a program to a national championship while still checking every check box on the "does things right" list, has possibly dwindled to zero in this day and age of massive payouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Colt View Post
    so here's what's going to happen...with each 1,000 word essay devoid of anything worth reading, posters will begin tuning you out until eventually you're just typing for the sake of typing, with maybe 1 or 2 posters as a captive audience. that will start to bore you and then you'll disappear again.

that will be a good day for the shag.
    I think that's a fair assessment. I'm fine with that. There's never been a time when I've sought some kind of universal adoration anywhere I've posted. Honestly, responses like your's entertain me greatly.

asshat DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne grows his own roses DwayneWayne's Avatar

Look, Texas has never been completely innocent. It's amazing how many jobs have come open for different families over the years. We don't emphasize it loudly. But there are dozens of examples.

What I will say is that there is no way relationships with third parties - whether trainers or 7on7 coordinators or Uncles or anyone else with a similar title - will ever be completely innocent. If you enjoy sticking your fingers in your ears while shouting "la la la la" out of tune, go right ahead. Texas has played with one hand tied behind their back for years. The realm of college football has morphed into an entirely different kind of monster over the last few years. The money is dwarfing anything that ever came before. The labor costs have stayed stagnant. There is a huge marginal difference from one labor input to another. Basic economics says that a limited supply with an overwhelming demand is going to see prices rise. And prices have risen. The costs of being an elite program, whether it comes to support staff, facilities, or who gets compensated outside the football program, have expanded tremendously.

Shoot, listen to Nick Saban's latest rant, which was triggered by a question about "ball control":

At the 2m mark he starts going off about how the NCAA won't allow high school coaches to work the summer camps, which means a greater influence for third parties in terms of bringing kids on campus. What is clearly inferred is that Alabama is going to figure out ways to compensate people for getting kids there, just like they have been for years and years. Both above board and under the table.

The key thing I'd emphasize is that it's not really a matter of whether Texas can win by running a lily white program. That isn't even an important discussion point any more. The question is, can Texas actually find a coach who has a strong enough burning desire to win to be an elite championship level coach who isn't going to want to compete on a level playing field with other elite programs. My strongest suggestion is the answer to that is no. Charlie Strong was a nice experiment. A good guy, with tons of integrity, who was always going to represent the school well. Only he lost 21 $#@!ing games in 3 years and was a complete joke as a coach while doing it. He had an office door policy, and was great at schmoozing with kids and their parents, but at the end of the day he was the highest paid guidance counselor in the country. And then he was fired, while pleading his case that he should be allowed to keep his job because he was such a great leader of young men.

There are some of you who think to themselves that "I don't want to follow a program that doesn't do things the right way." And that's fine. But my suggestion is you should get off the Tom Herman train sooner rather than later. Because this cat wants to win more than he wants anything in his life. His Dad left him as a toddler, and came back as the community drunkard when he was in high school, Hoosiers' Shooter style. He had 16 knee surgeries and 3 shoulder surgeries just so he could prove to himself he was capable of playing at the Cal Lutheran level of football for one season. He worked his way up the hard way through the small Texas school circuit. Football has given him every purpose in life. It's given him a wonderful living, a beautiful family, but it's done so because he's had a stronger desire to win than anyone else around him. You can't do surgery with that quality and still have the same person left. That quality is going to manifest itself in all kinds of different ways, some of which we will get excited about, and others which we won't. But it's a total package thing.

And again, my suggestion to the folks who are carrying such a huge burden from those angel wings while you look condescendingly at the programs around the country that are willing to take short cuts, is that the list of coaches who are capable of leading a program to a national championship while still checking every check box on the "does things right" list, has possibly dwindled to zero in this day and age of massive payouts.
    Big difference between jobs coming open and what those other schools do. Big.

asshat Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneWayne View Post
    Big difference between jobs coming open and what those other schools do. Big.
    Can you flesh your thoughts out a little, please?

asshat Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long Shaggy Gold Club Tex Long's Avatar

$#@! the haters. Keep writing.

asshat Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete Shaggy Platinum Tex Pete's Avatar
    Living off all my Super Bowl squares winnings!

I'm just glad that we have a chance to win again. We'll see how much Herman "bends" to get players to come here.

Let your nuts hang runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone Probably Shaggy upper class runthebone's Avatar
    If something is soft, you can get it hard
    It's a real mystery why he's felt so driven to accomplish so much in his career.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 694 of 694 FirstFirst ... 194 594 644 684 690 691 692 693 694