+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Favorite Stephen King novel

asshat South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future Man View Post
    now pick one from all these
    Desperation.

I also really liked Insomnia, but it's very slow to develop.

just read past the part in The Stand with Trashcan and The Kid in the hotel room. that was a bit much

bunghole dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc's Avatar
    been plowing through The Stand for a few days now, about halfway done... I'm gonna preface this by stating that I'm not really familiar with King's $#@! (all I think I've read is Different Seasons as a wee lad) so if this pisses off some of his disciples I apologize, but I'm not a fan of the dark man character being able to do magic and levitate and so on and so forth. it's a $#@!ing incredible story and the whole post-apocalyptic barren wasteland arrived at via the rapidly mutating super-flu is enough. it stands alone as a tremendous backbone upon which to spin a great yarn. why introduce magic/fantasy? I don't like it. of course I'll keep reading; I $#@!in love the book. maybe I'll get over it but it seems unnecessary.
    If it makes you feel better, I shelved The Stand after about 400 pages with a to be continued promise to myself based on the rave reviews. I'm about 1/3 of the way through IT now and am loving it. The Shining and 11.22.63 are fantastic reads, too.

now pick one from all these
    The Stand.

just read past the part in The Stand with Trashcan and The Kid in the hotel room. that was a bit much
    Trashcan Man being sodomized all night long was pretty brutal.

Roland chasing after Gasher in Lud was awesome. Then when he catches up, Gasher goes "you" and Roland goes "me". That was epic. Also epic was when they ambush the Wolves.

I don't read any other fantasy or magical $#@!. I don't have a problem with it per se, but I guess you would say it's not my favorite. I do enjoy horror, though, and don't mind supernatural stuff.

I have read everything Stephen King has written and enjoyed almost all of it. He's a great storyteller, draws very entertaining characters, and there's always going to be some supernatural spin on it. Just accept it and keep moving.

You've read everything he wrote?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Danneskj÷ld View Post
    You've read everything he wrote?
    Pretty much, yeah. The Dark Tower were pretty good yarns, but getting toward too fantasy-like for me.

The Straub collabs are an exception. Never read those.

I'm old, dude. And a voracious reader. And I have been reading King for 30+ years.

30 years is about how long I'd guess it would take. if I quit working and completely cut off my family

bunghole TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses TexOx grows his own roses
    I loved The Stand but I liked IT even better. But I read the complete edition of The Stand, and that made it a bit sprawling.

what is left out of the original version of the stand? a lot of the character backstories?

bunghole dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc Shaggy Bronze Club dcbc's Avatar
    what is left out of the original version of the stand? a lot of the character backstories?
    From what I understand, some characters who died backstories, more trashcan man, and it takes place in 1990.

finished the stand. enjoyed it but almost felt the end wrapped up too quick. odd to want an 1100+ page book to be longer but it reads so quick I think I could've put up with more.

So, my son, who will be 12 in August, is a voracious reader. He's seen me reading Stephen King lately and is very interested in it. Got him started with Eyes of the Dragon and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Later, his mom let him check out from the library The Dead Zone and Firestarter.

Is there anything else he can read of SK's work that won't completely warp him? I know most of us were probably close to that age when we started reading some of King's books.

But let's just say that I'm reading It right now, and he's probably not going to get to read that for a few years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty firmly in the camp of he's better off reading something occasionally inappropriate than not reading at all. Glad he's a reader for sure.

asshat Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos's Avatar
    I was reading King when I was 8. I turned out fine (arguable).

Options;
    Misery
    Needful things
    Four Past Midnight
    The Green Mile
    The collections of short stories may also be a good starting point.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas St. Armadillos View Post
    I was reading King when I was 8. I turned out fine (arguable).

Options;
    Misery
    Needful things
    Four Past Midnight
    The Green Mile
    The collections of short stories may also be a good starting point.
    Cool. Thanks. My wife and I both recently read 11/22/63. I seem to recall the sex scenes being frequent, but fairly tame. There's the ex husband scene, too. Other than that, I can't recall anything too iffy.

Looking back at what I had seen, heard, read, and done by the time I was his age may or may not be the best barometer. :)

I loved the references to Doug Sahm and Honky Tonk Woman in 11.22.63

Quote Originally Posted by Hornmatic View Post
    Me, too.

Somewhere toward the end of the book, there was this passage, which I enjoyed, reread, and underlined.

ôFor a moment everything was clear, and when that happens you see that the world is barely there at all. Don't we all secretly know this? It's a perfectly balanced mechanism of shouts and echoes pretending to be wheels and cogs, a dreamclock chiming beneath a mystery-glass we call life. Behind it? Below it and around it? Chaos, storms. Men with hammers, men with knives, men with guns. Women who twist what they cannot dominate and belittle what they cannot understand. A universe of horror and loss surrounding a single lighted stage where mortals dance in defiance of the dark.ö

asshat BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BMF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas St. Armadillos View Post
    I was reading King when I was 8. I turned out fine.
    Sounds like something someone who didn't turn out fine would say.

asshat South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin Definitely Shaggy upper class South Austin's Avatar
    I think I read my first Stephen King book, Cujo, when I was about 10 years old. A couple years after that I read Pet Sematary, which was scary as all $#@!, and in terms of sexual content, I vaguely recall the husband getting a handjob from the wife, and that was about it.

I think 'Salem's Lot would be perfectly fine for a 12-year old.

Edit: Oh, and seconded on the short stories. I also read Night Shift in that 10-12 year old range. There's a lot of good stuff in there.
    Last edited by South Austin; 06-27-2017 at 08:16 AM. Reason: i put the lotion in the basket

Quote Originally Posted by South Austin View Post
    I think I read my first Stephen King book, Cujo, when I was about 10 years old. A couple years after that I read Pet Sematary, which was scary as all $#@!, and in terms of sexual content, I vaguely recall the husband getting a handjob from the wife, and that was about it.

Edit: Oh, and seconded on the short stories. I also read Night Shift in that 10-12 year old range. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

Thanks for the ideas. I'm still working on It (too much occasional reading this summer), and he's knee deep in some other series. Once I'm done, I'll probably read Salem's Lot or Night Shift to preview them.

Tough Dad job I have here.

You're a better dad than I am. I'd probably just give them to my kid and say, "Hey, this is a really good book from what I remember."

You're a better dad than I am. I'd probably just give them to my kid and say, "Hey, this is a really good book from what I remember."
    It would get back to mom quickly if I did that. More cover for Dad this way. Truth be told, I'll probably will read it and decide that he's better off waiting a few years. Either way, he's got plenty to read, and it's an excuse for me to read some of this stuff again (or for the first time).

I had all of these books when I was his age. But I was easily distracted and rarely got far in them. We're more like the kids in these books. By the time I was his age (1985), I was riding all over Houston (or at least our part of town) on my bike with my friends, finding stuff to do, and no one worried much about us (as far as we knew) as long as we were back at a reasonable hour.

We try to give ours the modern equivalent of that taste of freedom, but it's nowhere close to what we had. Still, even what we do allow probably would get us a call from CPS these days (not really).
    Last edited by dcbc; 06-27-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornmatic View Post
    King has solid musical tastes. Every chapter of Christine is preceded by a lyric from a song about cars or driving.

And if I recall correctly, every one of those lyrics is from an artist who was dead at the time.

asshat NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
    It would get back to mom quickly if I did that. More cover for Dad this way. Truth be told, I'll probably will read it and decide that he's better off waiting a few years. Either way, he's got plenty to read, and it's an excuse for me to read some of this stuff again (or for the first time).

I had all of these books when I was his age. But I was easily distracted and rarely got far in them. We're more like the kids in these books. By the time I was his age (1985), I was riding all over Houston (or at least our part of town) on my bike with my friends, finding stuff to do, and no one worried much about us (as far as we knew) as long as we were back at a reasonable hour.

We try to give ours the modern equivalent of that taste of freedom, but it's nowhere close to what we had. Still, even what we do allow probably would get us a call from CPS these days (not really).
    Jesus $#@! quit being a pussy and just give him he books.

asshat Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club Sevenz Shaggy Bronze Club
    i gave a 5th grade book report on misery, i have no idea how old a 5th grader is

Quote Originally Posted by Sevenz View Post
    i gave a 5th grade book report on misery, i have no idea how old a 5th grader is
    Tell us more. Did you attend 5th grade in Oklahoma?

Quote Originally Posted by NorthLoop View Post
    Jesus $#@! quit being a pussy and just give him he books.
    Dad, is that you?

asshat smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club smwhorn Shaggy Bronze Club
    How Richard Bachman was "outed."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50216...m_campaign=FBK

I thought Thinner was pretty good.

Yeah Salems Lot would be perfect in this situation. The Green Mile had me balling like a chick watching a romance movie. A lot of his post accident novels are really good choices, I think. Hell, start him on the Dark Tower.

Going back through this thread, I don't know how Doctor Sleep isn't on everyone's top ten King list. What a $#@!ing great book.

*eta I think I saw a mention of Desperation somewhere, but been boozing and not sure where it was. Read that back when I was a kid. Sheeeeit, that's another fast paced novel built for a kid looking to get into King. Tak!
    Last edited by Dr. Sam Beckett; 07-27-2017 at 10:37 PM.

Yeah, I enjoyed Dr. Sleep pretty well.

The short story collections would be a good choice. Some absolutely ripping yarns in there and almost zero sex. Minimal cursing, but some, no doubt.

Handed him 11.22.63 today.

Interested to hear what your son thinks of 11.22.63. I wonder if he'll have an appreciation of the historical moment and 1960s setting like older readers do.

Interested to hear what your son thinks of 11.22.63. I wonder if he'll have an appreciation of the historical moment and 1960s setting like older readers do.
    He's got an interest in that period in history and is kind of a Kennedy buff. He's super excited about it.

Meanwhile, Dad (the slow reader) just past the halfway point in IT.

Quote Originally Posted by dcbc View Post
    He's got an interest in that period in history and is kind of a Kennedy buff. He's super excited about it.

Meanwhile, Dad (the slow reader) just past the halfway point in IT.
    He's gonna love it, or he's no son of ours!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sam Beckett View Post
    He's gonna love it, or he's no son of ours!
    He finished it in 3 weeks. Said it's his favorite book ever. The world of remaining books is his oyster.

King is a pretty good choice to start off a young reader, I think. He's very accessible, yet more literary than people give him credit for while not difficult or abstract.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    King is a pretty good choice to start off a young reader, I think. He's very accessible, yet more literary than people give him credit for while not difficult or abstract.
    I finally finished IT. That book is tremendous!

asshat NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop's Avatar
    About halfway done with IT... been in a lull due to work and haven't got to read $#@! in a few weeks. Need to pick it up again.

If you're looking for another Derry-set novel that's a bit of an investment, give Insomnia a try. And by investment, I mean that it's a long book (not as long as IT as I recall), but also that it requires some patience, because the first 100 pages or so are somewhat slow-moving as they establish the setting for the rest of the book. It has more of a Sci-Fi aspect than horror, and some connections to The Dark Tower (so I've been told--I've never read anything from The Dark Tower series, which might seem odd since I'm such a Stephen King fanboy).

Reading Different Seasons now. My son is reading The Shining.

asshat SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton Shaggy Silver Club SydneyCarton's Avatar
    Jumping in here. When the Dark Tower movie was announced as a sequel and not a direct adaptation, I decided to read all the Dark Tower books, including all the related and tertiary pieces. As a result, I've basically read about 1/3 of of all King's books now, maybe more. I did skip The Stand (read in junior high) and IT (was long and the ties are tenuous), but hit the rest.

Loved the Dark Tower, but of all the recent ones I've read in the last 12 months or so, I'm surprised that I really just enjoyed almost all his books. He's a great storyteller even if he's not a great writer. I really changed my opinion of him while reading his books.

Of the immediate ones I've read, I'd probably put Salem's Lot at the top followed very closely by The Talisman. When Salem's Lot was done I was ridiculously disappointed there weren't more. I know I read King has a story for a sequel in mind, years later, but man, I wanted more immediately. The Talisman was also just great. Really enjoyed that. Then possibly Bag of Bones, although I liked the Regulators/Desperation combo as well.

Of the direct Dark Tower Books, probably Drawing of the Three and then Wastelands.

I pulled IT out last night to read, and after that I might give The Stand another go. Those would probably vault into the top of my list immediately upon reading.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3