+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: The Movie You Just Watched

Babel

a depressing, dark movie that is fascinated with telling its story in anything other than chronological order about 4 groups of people who are all somewhat connected to a single incident. not a fun movie.

asshat My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked slams and goes hard. My Dixie Wrecked's Avatar
    Harol and Kumar Escape from Gitmo bay

Lesson Learned: Never smoke from a Bong on an airplane

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar

Wages of Fear (1953)

Fantastic. Simple and perfectly executed. Big themes never get in the way of the story.

semi-pro. i ended up turning it off halfway through.

asshat HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca's Avatar

GOOD.

asshat rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic's Avatar
    surprisingly decent

asshat rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic Shaggy Gold Club rage-a-holic's Avatar
    I love the transition from sepia to color in the opening scene

asshat C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man's Avatar

Saw THE DARK KNIGHT on Thursday, re-watched BATMAN BEGINS tonight. The original's story is a bit tighter but Heath Ledger's performance is by far the best in either movie. I really enjoyed TDK, but BB is better IMO.

Avatar: The Last Airbender (or Avatar: The Legend of Aang )

Light fare but really cool to watch. My daughter recorded it and asked me to watch it with her. I'd never heard of it until this week and wondered how I got away with that? LOL. (I have a young child and this show was apparently heavily marketed on Nickolodeon a few years ago).

According to Wikipedia: Emmy award-winning American animated television series... The show is set in an Asian-influenced world of martial arts and elemental manipulation...follows the adventures of Aang and his friends, who try to save the world from war with the Fire Nation. In the series' terminology, each episode is referred to as a "chapter", and each season as a "book."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv7FXnIWwjc[/youtube]

asshat tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman Shaggy Gold Club tantric superman's Avatar

Young Mr. Lincoln (1939)

Interesting mostly because it was the first Fonda worked with Ford. Not even in the same hemisphere as Darling Clementine, Ft. Apache, or the Grapes of Wrath, but a nice ride through Americana.

Better than I expected

asshat MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm's Avatar
    TDK in IMAX

HOLY $#@!!

RIP Heath Leger (EABOD&DIAF Mary-Kate Olsen)

Batman, James Batman.

HOLY $#@!!

Room with a View

Very acceptable, and often funny, chick flick.

Pretty good. Thought the best part of the movie was the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Saw Wall-E yesterday. Pretty good. Not my favorite Pixar, but a lot of laughs. A little preachy though.

asshat michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes Shaggy Bronze Club michaelpshayes's Avatar
    The Enforcer (Dirty Harry)

1.) Don't $#@! with Dirty Harry
    2.) Jim Carrey was in it listed as James Carrey in the credits

asshat TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower grows his own roses TxTower's Avatar
    Apocalypto. Mel Gibson directed film depicting the story of young natives prior to the fall of the Maya empire. Interesting and bloody look at the Maya civilization. Great foot chase scene (but not as good as Last of the Mohicans) takes up the later half of the movie, although a little unbelievable that a guy can run around that much with big nasty arrow wounds. Cast is entirely no name Native American actors speaking native dialogue throughout with English subtitles. Interesting and entertaining but not a great film.

Quote Originally Posted by SpclLadyFriend
    Bella

A very well done indie, art-house type flick about how one moment in time can change your life forever. And sadly I was only able to watch about the first 3/4 of it b/c the dvd from BB was cracked.

I laughed, I cried, it moved me. One scene in particular was very tough to take. I am dying to know how it ends.
    I stopped watching after around 30 minutes, because it was absolutely $#@!ing awful.

bunghole mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13 can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. mw13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tantric superman
    Quote Originally Posted by kangsta
    Man on Fire with Denzel. Bad ass
    I really disliked Man on Fire but I really liked Deja Vu. Which makes it only the second Tony Scott movie other than True Romance that I really like.
    I believe the exact opposite is the correct answer, er, my opinion (except for True Romance being bad ass).

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    mallrats last night. how the $#@! have i never seen this before?

space chimps yesterday w/ the daughter. decent for kids. not a whole lot of adult references to keep us laughing a la the shrek trinity, but a couple of pretty good zingers in there.

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    spiderwick chronicles wasn't bad at all.

Latest Netflix watch: Papillion.

Really, when you say the movie contains Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman, and is directed by the man who made "Patton," then that is about all you have to say. I've never watched it all the way through, and wanted to see the not for TV version.

A great, compelling, mythologically sized story about a prisoner on Devil's Island in French Guyana (sp?) who attempts escape multiple times, and pays the price. McQueen and Hoffman are both amazing, the cinematography is great, and the character actors all do a great job as well.

Most of you have probably already seen this, but I do recommend the DVD for two facts: 1. I've never seen the scenes with the natives, and I'm sure they couldn't be shown on television. 2. The DVD has a bit of a "behind the scenes" extra in which you get to see what the "real" (or at least the author of the novel) Papillion looks like.

Spaceballs, can't get enough Mel Brooks!

asshat Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer Shaggy Bronze Club Stringer's Avatar
    I know I'm late to the party, but I finally got around to seeing Spider-Man 3. I mainly wanted to see it, just so that I could finish off the trilogy, because I had heard it wasn't very good. After seeing it, I am glad I saw it to finish the trilogy, but would have been pissed at myself for watching it if it was a stand alone movie. It was just too much. Too many characters, storylines, tones, vharacter motivations, etc etc. Not only were there too many of all of those, but they seemed to shift between the differing elements almost on a whim. There was just no real coherence. Outside of Peter Parker, there was next to no character development. When they tried to add some depth, it just seemed to come off flat. Sam Raimi's strength is not deep seeded emotion. The first two were breezy movies that kept it simple and light. Too many of the storylines depended on darker elements and it just din't work. The Sandman (and the storyline of him killing Peter's uncle) had no reason to be in the story, other than to add 20 minutes and more flat emotion. In addition, they simply wasted the iconic Spider-Man villain, Venom, by tacking on some under developed rivalry between Brock and Parker and not giving the villain enough time on screen. That cvharacter was hurt too by Topher Grace being grossly miscast. They should have taken Sandman out, and given Venom more time, provided Venom/Brock was miscast. Otherwise, that was about as much Venom as I could take. I like James Franco, but he did not do well in this movie. They could have trimmed his role down, and gotten the same point across with the character. Problem is, the point of the character, as was written and developed in this film, was marginal at best. Basically it was an unfocused mess that tried too hard to say something.

I split this out, because I don't think it can be overstated. The 15 minute interlude of "bad" Peter Parker was laughably bad. I was cringing the whole time.

This is mentioned in other threads on Hole in the Wall. Just watched it last night. Freaking Amazing. I personally put it up there with There Will Be Blood and NCFOM.

Cinematography is excellent, soundtrack is excellent, acting is compelling. Just like life there are no all good or all bad characters, and the director finds the nuances in each person on screen. It is a long one, clocking in at around 2.5 hours. This is also not a "Western," if you're thinking shoot em ups and action (no 3:10 to Yuma stuff here). This is a character development that takes its time, and leaves you thinking. I cannot rave about this one enough. Really great.

Patton (1970).

They say bastard in this movie.

Didn't realize the screenplay was cowritten by Coppola. It's a long screenplay.

not Frogstyle froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717's Avatar
    picking up pennies in front of steamrollers
    Quote Originally Posted by SniveliusMaximus
    there will be blood. interesting. that is all.
    I'm finished

This movie should be titled "All My Boys Want to Bone Amber Heard"

Very hot Austin girl

Edipo Re, Piero Paolo Pasolini's adaptation of Sophocles' play (both adaptation and subtle treatment and inversion of Freud's theory). Brilliantly shot (perhaps the best cinematography I have ever seen) in what I assume is North Africa, full of deserts and blindingly harsh sunlight and native casts and cities. The actress who played Jocasta was very good. The costumes and props reminded me somewhat of Native American gear. Anyways, it was an excellent movie, though obviously a faithful adaptation of a Greek tragedy is close to impossible.

Pretty bad, except for the final fight scene, which was kick-ass. I can't think of anything else that was good.

Good crime film. The main characters weren't that good, but the actors were, so that counts for something. Lots of the dialogue is standard noir fare, so be prepared to groan a bit. The setting was good, and a pretty impressive hurricane contributed, as did two interesting, small subplots, and some entertaining, sleazy henchmen. Bogie is Bogie, and Bacall is sexy.

One of the best adventure movies I have ever seen, probably better than Raiders of the Lost Ark. Huston doesn't capture everything of Kipling's story (which I love), but he does about as good a job as anyone could hope for. Connery and Caine have wonderful chemistry, and Caine has always managed to convey a sort of touching, brave humor very well. Caine's future wife (hot Belize-Indian woman) plays Connery's bride.

A clever, somewhat twisty two-man film. Sir Laurence hams it up pretty outrageously, which is always fun. There is a recent remake, in which Caine plays Olivier's part, which I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by milk_monitor
    Edipo Re, Piero Paolo Pasolini's adaptation of Sophocles' play (both adaptation and subtle treatment and inversion of Freud's theory). Brilliantly shot (perhaps the best cinematography I have ever seen) in what I assume is North Africa, full of deserts and blindingly harsh sunlight and native casts and cities. The actress who played Jocasta was very good. The costumes and props reminded me somewhat of Native American gear. Anyways, it was an excellent movie, though obviously a faithful adaptation of a Greek tragedy is close to impossible.
    Haven't seen much Pasolini, although I am pretty up on many of the other Italians. What would you recommend would be the first two or three PPPs I should see?

Good crime film. The main characters weren't that good, but the actors were, so that counts for something. Lots of the dialogue is standard noir fare, so be prepared to groan a bit. The setting was good, and a pretty impressive hurricane contributed, as did two interesting, small subplots, and some entertaining, sleazy henchmen. Bogie is Bogie, and Bacall is sexy.
    You are way underrating this.

And groaning at noir is like groaning at rock or the blues.

LAST OF THE MOHICANS -- Pretty bad, except for the final fight scene, which was kick-ass. I can't think of anything else that was good.
    Oh, the first ambush scene, the battle and chase after Ft. McHenry, and just about the whole damn thing.

I'll give you the romance stuff was a beating, but everything else was great.

LAST OF THE MOHICANS -- Pretty bad, except for the final fight scene, which was kick-ass. I can't think of anything else that was good.
    Oh, the first ambush scene, the battle and chase after Ft. McHenry, and just about the whole damn thing.

I'll give you the romance stuff was a beating, but everything else was great.
    I can't agree you with on this. I thought the dialogue was absolutely awful and DDL was boring. Chingachgook, or whatever, was about as noble a savage as one could ask for. The French general seems like he could have been drawn up by a NRO moron (oh look, the tricky, mincing frog!). The speech at the end was just painful.
    Maybe the English captain or lieutenant was pretty watchable.

bunghole austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc grows his own roses austinyc's Avatar
    Hamlet 2. Hilarious at times, but an overall "Meh."

You are way underrating this.

And groaning at noir is like groaning at rock or the blues.
    I thought it was good, but the dialogue wasn't top notch. A decent number of otherwise excellent classic noir films suffer from this, in my opinion.

Edipo Re was the first PPP movie I've seen. I intend to also watch The Gospel of Matthew and perhaps Uccellacci e uccellini sometime soon.

Edipo Re was the first PPP movie I've seen. I intend to also watch The Gospel of Matthew and perhaps Uccellacci e uccellini sometime soon.
    Happy hunting. If you spot another good one, please post it. I saw one rather bizarre one about some Roman soldiers back in the olden days and I turned off Salo when I tired of it. It's now out on Criterion and I may give it another try.

Seleccion Suprema No. 1 Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo's Avatar

Spencer Tracy in a WWII (sort of) flick about a escaped prisoner from a concentration camp on the run in his own German home town. I like it a lot.

As for Key Largo, I'm with Milk Monitor. Maybe it just hasn't stood the test of time but the dialogue wasn't all that great. There are much better noir movies out there.

asshat Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco Shaggy Silver Club Party_Taco's Avatar

Memento - Superb screenplay by the man Christopher Nolan is expertly acted by Pierce, Moss and Pantoliano. A film that goes against the grain in so many ways and still manages to be compelling and not overwrought with exposition.

asshat [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard.
    I jut watched a movie called Sleeping Dogs Lie.

It's about a girl that blew her dog whil ein college.

werittne and directed by bobcat goldwaithe.

uit was just fucekd up. not verygood. just a $#@!ed up plot. i dO NOT recommend it to anyone.

not Frogstyle froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717 Shaggy Bronze Club froghorn717's Avatar
    picking up pennies in front of steamrollers
    Quote Originally Posted by [censored
    ]I jut watched a movie called Sleeping Dogs Lie.

uit was just fucekd up. not verygood. just a $#@!ed up plot. i dO NOT recommend it to anyone.
    more $#@!ed up than you?? haha wow...

can we get a drunk to english translator for this site?

asshat [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard. [censored] slams and goes hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by froghorn717
    Quote Originally Posted by [censored
    ]I jut watched a movie called Sleeping Dogs Lie.

more $#@!ed up than you?? haha wow...

can we get a drunk to english translator for this site?

haha/ today is the first time i've been drun ksince the lats.

asshat Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock Shaggy Bronze Club Bash Riprock's Avatar
    Empire of the Sun

Greatness.

Anniversary date:

Sweet mother of Christ, I didn't think they printed brownie points in billion point denominations....

Seleccion Suprema No. 1 Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo's Avatar
    Just watched The Incredibles. Great movie. I want to have cartoon sex with Elastic Girl.

Naruse - When a Woman Ascends the Stairs (1960)

I thought this was terrific. A bit of a long last 1/4, but everything rang true. I really have very little knowledge of Japanese cinema other than the some basics (Kurosawa, Kobiyashi, a bit of Ozu) but this one seemed really legitimate and the empathy with the characters was instantanious.

May have some challenges seeing some of his other films (hard to get) but definately want to now.

I am amazed at how much more I like watching Japanese characters sitting in a bar talking that I do watching them run around in skirts, screeching with flags tied to their backs.

asshat orangesky is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? orangesky's Avatar
    the exorcism of emily rose

creepy, but more than your average horror flick. i enjoyed it.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast