+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: TCM"s 31 Days of Oscar

asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Young Frankenstein, the best thing ever in the history of the universe.

Except for a 5 yard run in the Rose Bowl in January, 2006.

But pretty close.

Interesting that they have Bonnie and Clyde up later tonight, although Gene was in it for what, about 3 minutes. Wish they would have run Silver Streak or Stir Crazy.

asshat RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Interesting that they have Bonnie and Clyde up later tonight, although Gene was in it for what, about 3 minutes. Wish they would have run Silver Streak or Stir Crazy.
    It was his first on screen performance. His entire career was built off of that.

asshat DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheBuck View Post
    Watch or record this if you've never seen it. It's excellent.
    Well, $#@!. Too late. I wanted to see this since a while back.

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    Christopher Lee horror movies tonight:

7 pm central - Horror Hotel

8:30 central - Horror Express

asshat TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser's Avatar
    Young Frankenstein, the best thing ever in the history of the universe.

Except for a 5 yard run in the Rose Bowl in January, 2006.

But pretty close.

the best exemplification of Wilder's comedic subtle genius is the scene when he and Pryor first arrive in the prison and Gene's talking about how this will all make great method-writing material for his next play. "What did that second policeman say when he grabbed you by the throat?"
    Last edited by TheCruiser; 10-17-2016 at 09:24 PM.

asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    It was his first on screen performance. His entire career was built off of that.
    Yeah but he was waiting for Mel Brooks to call him back for "The Producers". Mel said in 1963 that he'd "get right back to him when he got the money." Turns out he didn't hear anything, and forgot about it. In 1967 while Wilder was in a play in NYC, Brooks went into his dressing room, tapped him on the back, and said literally, "okay, we're ready to roll now." As if he just talked to him about it 2 days ago.

It's true that Wilder did well in B&C (he didn't like the way the part was reading, so he changed it and got good reviews) but he was already a pretty much rising star in the theater by that time. Anne Bancroft recommended him to Brooks (her then boyfriend) 4 years before the Producers. He really got notoriety of course on that one with Mostel.

That interview on TCM was epic. I didn't know Wilder preferred movies much more to live plays.
    Last edited by phdhorn; 10-17-2016 at 09:25 PM.

asshat RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM's Avatar
    We're gonna need a bigger DVR. Jaws trilogy starting at 7pm tonight.

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    "Now you haven't got one thing in here I asked for.....not a beach umbrella, not a sun lounger.....no beach balls...."

asshat Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog's Avatar
    When's Trouble Going To Find Me, I Ain't Hard To Find...
    " It's only an Island if you look at it from the water."

asshat miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito Probably Shaggy upper class miguelito's Avatar
    That makes a lot of sense.

Watching Woodstock right now. Rock n Roll, naked hippie chicks... Such a great documentary, man.

Watching Woodstock right now. Rock n Roll, naked hippie chicks... Such a great documentary, man.
    Yeah, I saw that was on. It's weird that it came up the day after someone posted in HitW about watching it.

Last Tango In Paris is on. You know, I've never seen it despite all its controversy at the time (one of the few mainstream movies to get an X rating at first).

You know, it's very complicated, hard to keep up with. Let me see if I can summarize it:

1) Two people meet.
    2) They $#@! a lot.
    3) She kills him at the end.

Follow?

The Graduate starting now. I love this flick.

asshat DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO's Avatar
    Air Force is on in just a few minutes on TCM. Very underrated.

(1943)

A B-17 Flying Fortress crew reaches Pearl Harbor too late, then continues on to the Philippines.
    John Ridgely, Gig Young, Arthur Kennedy, John Garfield, Charles Drake

CC

9:45 - 12:00 AM TCM (256)

All Upcoming Times

Air Force was great. Watching Task Force with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan right now. Good stuff. Recorded They Were Expendable earlier today while I was asleep even though I've seen it 100 times. One of my favorite WWII films.

Last Tango In Paris is on. You know, I've never seen it despite all its controversy at the time (one of the few mainstream movies to get an X rating at first).

You know, it's very complicated, hard to keep up with. Let me see if I can summarize it:

1) Two people meet.
    2) They $#@! a lot.
    3) She kills him at the end.

Follow?
    Bertolucci has been in the news recently

Air Force was great. Watching Task Force with Gary Cooper and Walter Brennan right now. Good stuff. Recorded They Were Expendable earlier today while I was asleep even though I've seen it 100 times. One of my favorite WWII films.
    Speaking of WWII era films, I saw that TCM is sponsoring a run of "From Here To Eternity" in theaters on Dec. 11.

http://www.fandango.com/fromheretoet.../movieoverview

asshat Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club
    Here is this year's schedule. They're running everything from A to Z.

http://31days.tcm.com/schedule.pdf

Network isn't quite the same without Robert Osborne. I hope he is well and comes back soon at full strength.

He probably belongs on my 2017 Celebrity Death Watch list, but I didn't have the heart to include him.

He disappeared for a long time before. I wonder if it's something like stroke or heart related, or maybe just something like alcohol rehab.

Sometimes, you just get old. He's 84.

Cannery Row is on. Underrated classic.

Maltese Falcon is on. Classic Bogey.

asshat retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread Shaggy Gold Club retread's Avatar
    Annie Hall was just on. Now Hannah and Her Sisters.

Anyone have any other Woody Allen favorites?

asshat Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club
    I will be visiting TCM next month as part of the TCM Backlot tour. I will see if I can string together a Ben Mankiewicz appearance on Shaggy.

asshat EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Annie Hall was just on. Now Hannah and Her Sisters.

Anyone have any other Woody Allen favorites?
    almost every one of them before 1994. Manhattan especially, and Crimes and Misdemeanors

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    I will be visiting TCM next month as part of the TCM Backlot tour. I will see if I can string together a Ben Mankiewicz appearance on Shaggy.
    Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    see if you can find out about robert osborne

The thing is, I've never seen some "retirement" announcement or the like, which leads me to believe they want him to come back but he's not well enough. Man I hope he makes it back. Love that guy.

I think PHD is right. Osborne is almost 85. He looked pretty frail the last time he was on air. I'd be shocked if he returned full time. I expect they are hoping he can make it to the TCM Film Festival and announce his retirement.

minibump! It's on! 31 Days now happenin'!!!

Tonight is okay, as of this posting, Barefoot Contessa up next. But tonight's gem is Barry Lyndon at midnight. Will tape it, too late.

That is a fantastic film in a lot of ways. Good story, amazing cinematography and direction. Kubrik only used natural light as in the 18th Century, very difficult to do. Brilliant movie. You need to watch it. Almost a Les Miserables feel.

Tomorrow (Fri 2/3) is amazing. Man what a lineup... Ben-Hur, Best Years of Our Lives, The Big Country, The Big Sky, The Birds, Blazing Saddles, Blow-up, Blues in the Night, Bonnie and Clyde.

Yes, I think I see a pattern here... anyway who knew that lining 'em up by "B" would produce one of the best days I can remember ever?

Tonight is okay, as of this posting, Barefoot Contessa up next. But tonight's gem is Barry Lyndon at midnight. Will tape it, too late.

That is a fantastic film in a lot of ways. Good story, amazing cinematography and direction. Kubrik only used natural light as in the 18th Century, very difficult to do. Brilliant movie. You need to watch it. Almost a Les Miserables feel.

Tomorrow (Fri 2/3) is amazing. Man what a lineup... Ben-Hur, Best Years of Our Lives, The Big Country, The Big Sky, The Birds, Blazing Saddles, Blow-up, Blues in the Night, Bonnie and Clyde.

Yes, I think I see a pattern here... anyway who knew that lining 'em up by "B" would produce one of the best days I can remember ever?
    How did Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo get left out? Criminal...

Ben-Hur, Best Years of Our Lives, The Big Country,
    How is there any day left to show more films?

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt's Avatar
    this is honestly the only time of the year that i miss not having a tv and dvr

I like to call it Barry Lyndon PM. Or Kubriquil.

But yes, beautifully shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Glo View Post
    I like to call it Barry Lyndon PM. Or Kubriquil.

But yes, beautifully shot.
    I'll admit it takes a little will power to sit through it, but its reputation in general, it's grown to be recognized as a brilliant film. It doesn't wow or thrill you, but if you sit through it you kind of settle into it and like it.

Kind of like Father Knows Best reruns, only in color.

bunghole Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky Shaggy Bronze Club Saint Tacky's Avatar

You left out 'Battleground,' which was on this morning. You can actually see the motivation behind the actor playing "Wild Bill" Guarnere in BOB

asshat EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat's Avatar
    Bullitt on now! Love that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by EscapedGoat View Post
    Bullitt on now! Love that movie.

Scanning the guide over the next few days to see if there's anything on TCM I want to record. Late night on Monday night/Tuesday morning you have Days of Wine and Roses followed by The Deer Hunter followed by Deliverance. That's a 7 hours that will have you not feeling very good about life.

barry lyndon would have been better if ryan oneal didn't suck

His facial expressions are awesome. Especially at the dinner table scene
    Last edited by Soul Glo; 02-07-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    barry lyndon would have been better if ryan oneal didn't suck
    Respectfully disagree with your opinion on one Redmond Barry. (said in polite bandit voice)

They went from D to F. No E?

D was mostly for "Disappoint" as far as what was showing when I was watching TV. All the good stuff was at weird hours.

French Connection wednesday night at 11 central

It took me almost 40 years to finally watch all of Barry Lyndon. It went from "I hate this" to, "OK this is kind of interesting." Maybe when I'm 80 I will love it. I do appreciate the technical aspects, but that doesn't carry me that far.

Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    All the good stuff was at weird hours.
    Destination Tokyo and The Dirty Dozen were on this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    They went from D to F. No E?

D was mostly for "Disappoint" as far as what was showing when I was watching TV. All the good stuff was at weird hours.
    Yeah, I'm not crazy about the whole alphabetical order theme this year. But there's enough repeat throughout the year that I'll get the chance to see everything I want to see sooner or later.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast