+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: TCM"s 31 Days of Oscar

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    Watching Kramer vs. Kramer. How the $#@! did this win Best Picture over Apocalypse Now?

it was criminal

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    Back to back years they royally $#@!ed it up, right?

Ordinary People over Raging Bull? That's just $#@!ing crazy.

asshat RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM's Avatar
    Goodfellas on now.
    What do you mean I'm funny? Funny how? Am I funny like I'm a clown? Am I here to amuse you? How the $#@! am I funny?
    Last edited by RPM; 02-13-2016 at 03:37 AM.

asshat Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club
    Damn. Deer Hunter was brutal. It's a great movie, but there are some odd and very sudden shifts in tone.

Is Heaven's Gate as bad as people say? I'm vaguely curious to see what Cimino lost $40 million on.

asshat RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM Shaggy Platinum RPM's Avatar
    Is Heaven's Gate as bad as people say?
    Yes.

Watching Kramer vs. Kramer. How the $#@! did this win Best Picture over Apocalypse Now?
    The better question is how the $#@! did Hoffman beat out Peter Sellers in Being There for best actor?

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoetzl View Post
    The better question is how the $#@! did Hoffman beat out Peter Sellers in Being There for best actor?
    Hoffman was always a favorite, the subject matter was prescient (or so they said). Sellers role in being there was a bit ...... One dimensional, and not mainstream enough.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    Actors often seem to get rewarded more for past work than the current project they were actually nominated for. Russell Crow and Denzel are examples of how they were awarded for lesser roles than earlier years when they should have won. Gladiator and Training Day were excellent performances, but not nearly to the level of their roles in The Hurricane or The Insider or A Beatiful Mind.

Henry Fonda is a great example. He should have won numerous times, but it was his final film when he won.

asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Ironically, John Wayne won for True Grit, not a bad performance, but arguably a few others were better, over Dustin Hoffman's The Graduate in 1970.

His performance in the Graduate was still to me his best work ever ever. But they gave Wayne the sentimental nod. Yup, happens a lot.

And Fonda's role in On Golden Pond was meh. But yup, it was time. Dudley Moore was probably the best (Arthur) that year, maybe Newman (Absence of Malice). But Moore should have gotten it hands down IMHO.
    Last edited by phdhorn; 02-13-2016 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Ironically, John Wayne won for True Grit, not a bad performance, but arguably a few others were better, over Dustin Hoffman's The Graduate in 1970.

His performance in the Graduate was still to me his best work ever ever. But they gave Wayne the sentimental nod. Yup, happens a lot.

And Fonda's role in On Golden Pond was meh. But yup, it was time. Dudley Moore was probably the best (Arthur) that year, maybe Newman (Absence of Malice). But Moore should have gotten it hands down IMHO.
    actually is midnight cowboy and Wayne should have won for the Shootist instead, but then he would have had to beat out Peter Finch and Robert Deniro. They actually gave Fonda a lifetime achievement award the year before he won the Oscar

you know sally fields had some nice titties

That ass wasn't bad either.

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    Little package of dynamite.

I can't tell you how many $#@!tastic episodes of Gidget I watched growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    That ass wasn't bad either.
    Watched Smokey and The Bandit the other day and it was a nice reminder.

asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Knight View Post
    actually is midnight cowboy and Wayne should have won for the Shootist instead, but then he would have had to beat out Peter Finch and Robert Deniro. They actually gave Fonda a lifetime achievement award the year before he won the Oscar
    Yeah, I kinda $#@!ed up (or didn't fully explain) my logic.

Hoffman lost in 68 (can't remember who, I think it was Rod Steiger or Cliff Robertson, one or the other), and there was some sympathy that he should have won (perhaps because he was so young it was against him). So he's nominated again in 70 for Midnight Cowboy but loses that one to the "sympathy" vote for the Duke (which again was a pretty good performance I think, but maybe not his best).

So you have Hoffman in 79 who probably gets the sympathy vote and the Oscar for a role/performance that was not nearly as good as some of his others. One thing though is that the slate in 79 really wasn't all that strong, maybe Sellers for Being There. But the rest, meh.

Still that was a pretty blech performance for him, but he got sympathy as a 2-time previous loser.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    actually is midnight cowboy and Wayne should have won for the Shootist instead, but then he would have had to beat out Peter Finch and Robert Deniro.
    Wayne also gave Oscar worthy performances in The Searchers and Liberty Valence, but the only nomination for either one was Valence for costume design.

asshat OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Yeah, I kinda $#@!ed up (or didn't fully explain) my logic.

Hoffman lost in 68 (can't remember who, I think it was Rod Steiger or Cliff Robertson, one or the other), and there was some sympathy that he should have won (perhaps because he was so young it was against him). So he's nominated again in 70 for Midnight Cowboy but loses that one to the "sympathy" vote for the Duke (which again was a pretty good performance I think, but maybe not his best).

So you have Hoffman in 79 who probably gets the sympathy vote and the Oscar for a role/performance that was not nearly as good as some of his others. One thing though is that the slate in 79 really wasn't all that strong, maybe Sellers for Being There. But the rest, meh.

Still that was a pretty blech performance for him, but he got sympathy as a 2-time previous loser.
    Screwing Rod Steiger in '66 for The Pawn Broker started the whole thing. Lee Marvin for Cat Ballou? GTFO. What a joke. So they make it up to Steiger two years later, but it wasn't Hoffman who got screwed. It was Newman for Cool Hand Luke, though he should already have won one for Hud or The Hustler. Hoffman did get screwed for Midnight Cowboy though. Hell, they blew it on almost every Best Actor award they gave out in the 60s. The fact the Newman, Peter O'Toole, and Richard Burton were shut out in the 60s is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    Actors often seem to get rewarded more for past work than the current project they were actually nominated for. Russell Crow and Denzel are examples of how they were awarded for lesser roles than earlier years when they should have won. Gladiator and Training Day were excellent performances, but not nearly to the level of their roles in The Hurricane or The Insider or A Beatiful Mind.

A Beautiful Mind was AFTER Gladiator.

Wayne also gave Oscar worthy performances in The Searchers and Liberty Valence, but the only nomination for either one was Valence for costume design.
    Valance was criminally underrated when it came out

Quote Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
    Screwing Rod Steiger in '66 for The Pawn Broker started the whole thing. Lee Marvin for Cat Ballou? GTFO. What a joke. So they make it up to Steiger two years later, but it wasn't Hoffman who got screwed. It was Newman for Cool Hand Luke, though he should already have won one for Hud or The Hustler. Hoffman did get screwed for Midnight Cowboy though. Hell, they blew it on almost every Best Actor award they gave out in the 60s. The fact the Newman, Peter O'Toole, and Richard Burton were shut out in the 60s is a joke.
    I don't think you can really argue that Burt Lancaster, Gregory Peck, Sidney Poitier,Maximilian Schell, Rex Harrison, John Wayne,Rod Steiger and Paul Scofield are undeserving of Oscars. Tho Rex Harrison reportedly gave his to Anthony Quinn. Sure Lee Marvin and Cliff Robertson might have been weak picks but their performances were good
    Last edited by Michael Knight; 02-14-2016 at 01:30 AM.

asshat OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower Shaggy Silver Club OrangePower's Avatar
    I don't think you can really argue that Burt Lancaster, Gregory Peck, Sidney Poitier,Maximilian Schell, Rex Harrison, John Wayne,Rod Steiger and Paul Scofield are undeserving of Oscars. Tho Rex Harrison reportedly gave his to Anthony Quinn. Sure Lee Marvin and Cliff Robertson might have been weak picks but their performances were good
    I thought the point was to reward the best performance. So yeah, after Lancaster and Peck, I'd argue they missed the mark on all the rest. By a lot. Most of the winners wouldn't even make my top 2 of the year. I don't know how anyone can watch Lilies of the Field and Hud and think they got it right. Rex Harrison was right. Cliff Robertson was so hammy it was hard to watch. Scofield was so meh compared to Burton in WAOVW. Marvin is a complete head scratching mystery. Steiger, in one of my favorite movies, was a make up for two years earlier and the only one I don't have a huge problem with. I love me some Chief Gillepsie. And then they finish the decade off with a lifetime achievement award for John Wayne, which I'd say is one of the worst Best Actor choices in the past 50 years. But it was the perfect ending to the decade.

Compare the 60s to the 70s. Other than Art Carney, they pretty much nailed it every year.

asshat kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun has a gigantic e-peen. kevwun's Avatar
    Peck deserved one as a lifetime achievement award. He was in a ridiculous number of good movies. He's in the same category as Jimmy Stewart.

Peck deserved the one he won. I started going through all the awards in the 60s and there were some weird ass choices they made. It kind of mirrored society in that it felt like they were still clinging to the 50s and slow to acknowledge the changes happening. Lots of big production musicals that in hindsight don't seem worthy of a lot of the awards they won. Just like society, 1967 seemed to be the tipping point.

Yes, it is. Maybe worse. It is one of only two movies in my lifetime that I have walked out on at the theater. The other was a $#@!ty Andy Kaufman robot movie called Heartbeeps.

The real truth is, the Academy isn't very good at objectively judging movies, acting, screenplays or even songs. There is usually some kind of major bias or agenda that skews the whole process.

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    The real truth is, the Academy isn't very good at objectively judging movies, acting, screenplays or even songs. There is usually some kind of major bias or agenda that skews the whole process.
    Power struggle. Old guard always fighting the new guard.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBoard View Post
    Power struggle. Old guard always fighting the new guard.
    Or politics, marketing, or just rooting for or against someone for a variety of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangePower View Post
    Peck deserved the one he won. I started going through all the awards in the 60s and there were some weird ass choices they made. It kind of mirrored society in that it felt like they were still clinging to the 50s and slow to acknowledge the changes happening. Lots of big production musicals that in hindsight don't seem worthy of a lot of the awards they won. Just like society, 1967 seemed to be the tipping point.
    Part of the problem of being ahead of the times is not being recognized during the times.

Keep in mind the 60s were the death throes of the old studio system.

Keep in mind the 60s were the death throes of the old studio system.
    Back to back great points. I hadn't thought about the 2nd one, but it sure explains some of the choices. My Fair Lady being a great example. I $#@!ing hated that movie

asshat GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad's Avatar
    Just over 30 minutes in, but Casablanca is on now. Ilsa just asked Sam to play some of the old songs and Rick is about to enter.

It's a cult classic.

asshat GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad's Avatar
    "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world…she walks into mine."

asshat Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred Shaggy Platinum Player Preferred's Avatar
    Here's looking at you kid.

I'm shocked... SHOCKED to find that gambling is going on in here!

Here's your winnings, Sir.

Oh, thank you very much.

asshat Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club
    Which, to me, is pretty good justification for some actors to be pretty dismissive of the awards. Hepburn had some line about it being silly that they treat acting like race horsing instead of art. Of course she was still in the winner circle several times. There is that weird impulse to assign objective rankings to a subjective subject. But, particularly now, it's all marketing driven. There isn't an artist who is going to $#@! on their producers who stand to sell a lot more copies for an academy award winner. For that matter, their ability to command a bigger contract (or winner a better role) is increased if they have a gold statue. I suppose in the age of the big studios, the big stars were more set in their salaries/opportunities and could be dismissive of the awards.

Watched Mutiny on The Bounty this morning. Damn, Gable and Laughlin were the $#@!! Simply fantastic. May be my favorite Gable film.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre- Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt, Walter Huston

Hola senor, we are the Federales... The mounted police.

If you're the police, show me your badges.

Badges? We got no badges. We don't need no stinking badges!

Stagecoach up next if I can stay awake...

asshat EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Treasure of the Sierra Madre- Humphrey Bogart, Tim Holt, Walter Huston

Hola senor, we are the Federales... The mounted police.

If you're the police, show me your badges.

Badges? We got no badges. We don't need no stinking badges!
    Will you stake a fellow American to a meal?

Grand Prix. One of my all time favorites and possibly the best film about racing ever made. Would love to see this in a theater. There was no CGI or no camera tricks. It was 70mm cameras strapped onto Formula 3 cars made to look like Formula 1 cars and the actors behind the wheel. The only tricks involved were with Yves Montand who lost his nerve during filming and they wound up putting his car on a trailer for some shots, but he was still going over 120. Good story, excellent cinematography and sound.

I prefer this movie to Steve McQueen's "LeMans", but they are very close. McQueen was the original choice to star but the meeting with producers did not go well and his next door neighbor James Garner was chosen. McQueen wouldn't speak to him for over 4 years after that. Would smash young Jessica Walter.

Last edited by RPM; 02-16-2016 at 07:43 PM.

DVR alert as there's some great stuff coming up tonight (2/18).

11:00PM - Strangers on a Train Classic Hitch$#@! followed immediately by
    1:00AM - Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo with Spencer Tracy portraying James Doolittle

Friday morning has a gem
    10:00AM - The Maltese Falcon Bogie as Sam Spade is pretty damn tough to beat.

asshat Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club
    The stuff dreams are made of. I'm surprised they're playing that tomorrow since they've been promoting screenings of Maltese Falcon in theaters all month.

Going through the dvr, saw it caught Bullitt, so I am watching that now. And man....goddamn....Jacqueline Bisset is so hot. Like goddamn flawless.
    Last edited by Soul Glo; 02-18-2016 at 10:34 PM.

The Thin Man - William Powell, Myrna Loy. Fun couple drink and one line their way through murder. Good stuff.

The Best Years of Our Lives - Myrna Loy, Fredric March, Dana Andrews, Teresa Wright, Virginia Mayo. While those stars are great, they pale by comparison to the performance given by Harold Russell. The only person to receive 2 Oscars for the same performance in a film.

The Thin Man is what would happen if Nancy Drew married one of the Hardy Boys and they became alcoholics.

Best Years is also has of the very few, if not only, performances by Dana Andrews that I really liked. I generally don't care for him. A lot like Tyrone Power in The Razor's Edge. Those guys are normally plastic Hollywood pretty boys, but they really showed something in those films.

Got the DVR loaded up for this weekend.

The Thin Man is what would happen if Nancy Drew married one of the Hardy Boys and they became alcoholics.
    I find Myrna Loy to be super hot. Why is she living with her father?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimohorn View Post
    I find Myrna Loy to be super hot.
    She did nude scenes before the Production Code.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast