+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: TCM"s 31 Days of Oscar

asshat RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM's Avatar

TCM"s 31 Days of Oscar

I hate this. I've got stuff to do and they are running Maltese Falcon, How the West Was Won and Mister Roberts today. Tonight it's All the Kings Men, 12 O'Clock High and Battleground. My DVR can't stand the pressure.

bunghole Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT's Avatar
    I've been recording about 3 of those movies every night. Had never seen "Notorious", which was excellent or "Georgy Girl", despite its theme song being the first song I remember.

Love me some TMC.

bunghole cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses
    Got up early this a.m. for The Long Voyage Home, a gem directed by John Ford, cinematography by the legendary Gregg Toland, and starring many Ford favorites including John Wayne, Ward Bond, Barry Fitzgerald, and one of my personal favorites, Thomas Mitchell. Adapted from some short Eugene O'Neill works. Never tire of this movie. Then, another personal favorite, Edward Dmytryk's Crossfire, starring Robert Mitchum, Robert Ryan, Robert Young and Gloria Grahame. Followed by The Maltese Falcon. Glad I have How the West Was Won and Mister Roberts on DVD or I'd get nothing done today.

asshat RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM Definitely Shaggy upper class RPM's Avatar
    I woke up to Crossfire. Man, that's a just great flick all around. Too bad I missed Long Voyage Home. I must have had too many Ginger Beers last night. Wig wag!

bunghole cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses cafe society grows his own roses
    I know it is an outlier in all these alpha films being shown today, but Auntie Mame is really good, too. I'm a big Rosalind Russell fan, I feel like outside of His Girl Friday, she never really received the plaudits she deserved. She could play any type of role Hollywood threw at her.
    Can't wait for Twelve O'Clock High; I am old enough to barely remember the tv show in the '60s.

asshat GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad's Avatar
    It's the greatest month of the year for me. I don't mind a bit of insomnia as I'm guaranteed to turn on TCM and find something I love on t.v.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    I was recording The Razor's Edge with my laptop and the battery crapped out when the freakin' cord wasn't plugged in good. I was pissed. Diggin' all the quality flicks, though.

bunghole Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT grows his own roses Surrounded_by_TT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrounded_by_TT View Post
    I've been recording about 3 of those movies every night. Had never seen "Notorious", which was excellent or "Georgy Girl", despite its theme song being the first song I remember.

Love me some TMC.
    Too many Negronis last night....TCM.

Sunday's lineup doesn't thrill me as much, perhaps because I am one of those weirdos that doesn't love Doctor Zhivago. Between that and A Passage To India they are burning like six hours of movie time. Passage is good, but I just saw it again a couple of years ago. Monday, however, has some really good stuff. One of the greatest screwball comedies ever made, The Libeled Lady, with Myrna Loy, William Powell, Jean Harlow and Spencer Tracy, comes on Monday afternoon, so fire up your dvrs. Hitch$#@!'s vastly underrated Foreign Correspondent comes on Monday night at 8:30 central. Early in the Tuesday a.m. hours are a couple of more good ones. Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet is another dvr gem, one of Edward G. Robinson's nongangster roles. If I told you the plot, you wouldn't believe it is excellent, but it is, nonetheless. It was part of last month's Friday night tribute to science.

Had to go doublecheck, the two movies right before Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet are Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, which I am sure many of you have seen, and one I bet hardly any of you have seen, because it rarely gets shown. It is called Angel's Over Broadway, and it is a quirky backstage comedy. Sort of. Tuesday morning at 6:45 central they start showing some really great comedies. Anyway, just go to TCM's weekly schedule and it has everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DougO View Post
    I was recording The Razor's Edge with my laptop and the battery crapped out when the freakin' cord wasn't plugged in good. I was pissed. Diggin' all the quality flicks, though.
    That sucks. I watched The Razor's Edgefor the first time in many years and it still gets me. Great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfTomJoad View Post
    It's the greatest month of the year for me. I don't mind a bit of insomnia as I'm guaranteed to turn on TCM and find something I love on t.v.
    I know, I love this month on TCM and also when they have their film noir fests.

asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Simply put, 31 Days of Oscar is the best special programming on TV, bar none. Nothing matches how stoked I get this time of year.
    Watched From Here To Eternity and Stalag 17 last night. Just epic.

Twelve O'Clock High coming up next. Hell yeah.

Twelve O'Clock High starting now. As good as Gregory Peck is in his role, Dean Jagger steals the film with his performance. Millard Mitchell gives an outstanding performance as well. Solid gold.

Great flick. DVR is set in case I fall asleep. Also recording Battleground later.

Quote Originally Posted by HornsN04 View Post
    Also recording Battleground later.
    Saw it twice less than 2 weeks ago or I'd be sitting up late with a bottle of Makers Mark.

asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Battleground is epic. Cornyish late 40's but you can't stop watching it, the acting is so awesome.

Yeah, I haven't seen it in quite some time. Something to watch tomorrow.

Jesus, the opening scene where Jagger is standing at the end of the old runway and he imagines the bombers starting up again. Then you see the propwash blowing the waves of grain behind him.

Powerful cinematography and great vision by Henry King. It just sucks you right into the moment and you feel Jagger's memories come flooding back.

General Savage, I withdraw my statement.

Never mind.

This group!

Quote Originally Posted by RPM View Post
    Saw it twice less than 2 weeks ago or I'd be sitting up late with a bottle of Makers Mark.
    I've watched it twice in the last year, but I am still debating about making a night of it.

Jesus, the opening scene where Jagger is standing at the end of the old runway and he imagines the bombers starting up again. Then you see the propwash blowing the waves of grain behind him.

Powerful cinematography and great vision by Henry King. It just sucks you right into the moment and you feel Jagger's memories come flooding back.
    All of this. The old Hollywood put more thought into war films and westerns than goes into an awful lot of contemporary "prestige" films. Producers and studio heads were as well-versed in the nuts and bolts of filmmaking and artistic concerns as they were in budgets and commercial concerns. Today, Hollywood is largely run by people who know little about the former and are ruled by fear and the latter. Little imagination and certainly no balls.

asshat DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO Shaggy Gold Club DougO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cafe society View Post
    That sucks. I watched The Razor's Edgefor the first time in many years and it still gets me. Great movie.
    When it's on I can't NOT watch it. One of my all time favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Battleground is epic. Cornyish late 40's but you can't stop watching it, the acting is so awesome.
    Battleground rules. Twelve O'Clock High on right now.

Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    Simply put, 31 Days of Oscar is the best special programming on TV, bar none. Nothing matches how stoked I get this time of year.
    Watched From Here To Eternity and Stalag 17 last night. Just epic.
    Stalag 17 is another extremely underrated favorite of mine. It's not on nearly enough.

Stalag 17 is another extremely underrated favorite of mine. It's not on nearly enough.
    Snicklefritz!

I watch Stalag 17 every time it is on; William Holden is on the short list of my all-time favorite male leads.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt's Avatar
    stalag 17 has never been under rated, never

You do realize the very nature of this programming means the movies shown aren't underrated. An entire industry of snobs chose these to jerk off to

asshat GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad Shaggy Gold Club GhostOfTomJoad's Avatar
    Dude, are you implying you don't own a copy of Stalag 17? If so, why not?

Dr. Zhivago today followed by The Remains of the Day (how the hell is that gem not available on Blu ray yet?). My day is set.

Dr. Zhivago was one of those movies that I just never thought would be worth it... long and involved, I never really sat down to watch it, thinking, meh, no way.

Then about 10 years ago I finally did, and I realized what I had missed. Like Lawrence of Arabia, the lengthy movie still avoids being boring at any point, goes by intensely and quickly, and is a brilliant period piece. Hmm... wonder why, could it be... the director?. Naw, not that.

Anyway, Lawrence might be my #2 movie of all time, just behind Mexican Standoff # 3 (err, Good, Bad, Ugly). Zhivago is not, but now that I've seen it a few times I really enjoy it (Rod Steiger is particularly good).

asshat UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? UTCzech's Avatar
    goin' down the grade makin' 90 miles an hour
    Snicklefritz!
    Equipoise...

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfTomJoad View Post
    Dude, are you implying you don't own a copy of Stalag 17? If so, why not?

Dr. Zhivago today followed by The Remains of the Day (how the hell is that gem not available on Blu ray yet?). My day is set.
    I believe The Remains of the Day is going to receive the Criterion treatment soon.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt's Avatar
    Lean was one hell of a director.

I believe The Remains of the Day is going to receive the Criterion treatment soon.
    This gives me wood. Howards End is already a Criterion title, and though most critics seem to rank HE the best of the Merchant Ivory productions, my wife & I absolutely love TRotD.

Man Cersei is super young in Remains of the Day

asshat Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club
    Hitch$#@!'s vastly underrated Foreign Correspondent comes on Monday night at 8:30 central.
    And now I know what I'm doing this evening.

Giant at 5am tomorrow morning

East of Eden starting

asshat random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn Shaggy Silver Club random horn's Avatar
    got 'the thin man' and 'north by northwest' scheduled on the dvr

Decision Before Dawn is on right now. This is one of the greatest films you've never heard of. German POW sent back to spy for the Allies near the end of the war. Nominated for Best Picture in 1951.

^^^^^ dvr'd it, I'm a sucka for ww2 flicks

asshat DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah Shaggy Silver Club DoobieWah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by random horn View Post
    got 'the thin man' and 'north by northwest' scheduled on the dvr
    Caught The Thin Man yesterday morning.

Great movie.

asshat Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club Tuco Ramirez Shaggy Silver Club
    I finally got around to watching Foriegn Correspondent (again). It was nominated for best original screenplay, but I don't think Robert Benchley was included in that. He was credited for dialogue in the movie credits, which I think shines more than the actual story.

It took me 15 years to discover that I had no talent for writing, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous. - Robert Benchley

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    Damn, the hindenburg had a great cast.

Cant say the same for the pilot

Quote Originally Posted by DoobieWah View Post
    Caught The Thin Man yesterday morning.

Great movie.
    I'm a huge William Powell fan. Catch 'My Man Godfrey' when you get the chance.

It's that time again

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    North by Northwest was yesterday, followed by A Tale of Two Cities. That was great.

Tonight, however, I flipped over and there was Fred Astaire tap dancing, whathaveyou, and I have no patience for that.

asshat RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn Shaggy Silver Club RabidHorn's Avatar
    Some great movies.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast