+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40
Results 1,951 to 1,979 of 1979

Thread: Baylor Recruiting ... not so great

Quote Originally Posted by UT Lawnghorn View Post
    Lol yeah. His entire premise was underrated because of scheme fit, except now the scheme changed so...
    One thing is apparent though. Baylor took an entire class of projects. I'm not optimistic that more than 2-3 of these guys will be ready to play year one or even year two.

The rest will need to hit the weight room but chances are that some guys will need to play early.

Ian Boyd' final ranking of the 2017 Big 12 recruiting classes.

Should be noted that Boyd was very down on our 2017 class. Also he tried not to look at star rankings, and more at film / each recruit's scheme fit, which favours a class like TCU's over a class like ours ours that was quickly assembled.
    Last edited by sarvanaash; 02-25-2017 at 07:02 PM.

asshat texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia's Avatar
    Ok sure Boyd. There's no way I'd trade that class with ours.

Boyd gave Baylor's OL recruiting this past cycle a B+. Which is beyond laughable.

He also said this about their OL recruiting, "I’m amazed that Baylor was able to get this much quality and quantity in the class and all of these guys project easily to an outside zone/spread-option kind of team in the mold of an Oregon."

Someone should tell Boyd that a big reason Lubick left is he realized that he wasn't going to have much of a role in their offense. Based on the hires, I'm willing to bet their offense is going to be much more pro style than it is "spread option".

I mean jesus, don't give so much credit for "scheme fits" if you don't even really know what scheme they will be running. Boyd places way too much value in "scheme fit" to begin with.
    Last edited by TexasStrong12; 02-25-2017 at 07:34 PM.

asshat HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames's Avatar
    Why does anyone care what $#@!ing Ian Boyd thinks?

Quote Originally Posted by HenryJames View Post
    Who the $#@! is Ian Boyd?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonandaturd View Post
    Who the $#@! is Ian Boyd?
    I think he's some recruiting dude but I forget which site.

Ian Boyd writes for Inside Texas as well as SBNation occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    Ian Boyd writes for Inside Texas as well as SBNation occasionally.
    I'll be damned. Then he must be some real big time X's and O's expert. Is that his real name or is he one of those Jesus Shuttleworth fakers? So he is the Dylan Haines of recruiting gurus?

He's a longtime X's-and-O's analyst. He's written some really good breakdowns of Beck's offense and Orlando's defense for InsideTexas.

asshat UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn's Avatar
    I'll be damned. Then he must be some real big time X's and O's expert. Is that his real name or is he one of those Jesus Shuttleworth fakers? So he is the Dylan Haines of recruiting gurus?
    He's really good at X's and O's.

Based on this stuff, he's apparently really bad at recruit evaluations. He's never done much with recruit evals so I think this is new for him. Maybe he'll learn to focus less on scheme fit in the future.

asshat HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames Definitely Shaggy upper class HenryJames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sarvanaash View Post
    He's a longtime X's-and-O's analyst. He's written some really good breakdowns of Beck's offense and Orlando's defense for InsideTexas.
    And that qualifies him as a recruiting analyst how?

Quote Originally Posted by UT Lawnghorn View Post
    Based on this stuff, he's apparently really bad at recruit evaluations. He's never done much with recruit evals so I think this is new for him. Maybe he'll learn to focus less on scheme fit in the future.
    He gave Baylor a B+ on offensive line recruiting, which still blows my mind.

5/6 of the OL they landed weren't even ranked in the top 1000. Miller had no other P5 offers outside of Baylor, Klinge's only other P5 offer was Virginia, Moore's only other P5 offer was Kansas, Keith's only other P5 offer was Ole Miss (really late offer because their recruiting sucked due to NCAA issues), and Anderson's only other P5 offers from Kansas/Kansas State/Oklahoma State.

3 or 4 of the guys Baylor landed on the OL are complete JAGs.

asshat UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn Shaggy Bronze Club UT Lawnghorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasStrong12 View Post
    He gave Baylor a B+ on offensive line recruiting, which still blows my mind.

5/6 of the OL they landed weren't even ranked in the top 1000. Miller had no other P5 offers outside of Baylor, Klinge's only other P5 offer was Virginia, Moore's only other P5 offer was Kansas, Keith's only other P5 offer was Ole Miss (really late offer because their recruiting sucked due to NCAA issues), and Anderson's only other P5 offers from Kansas/Kansas State/Oklahoma State.

3 or 4 of the guys Baylor landed on the OL are complete JAGs.
    Lulz. Yeah. It would be one thing if their ratings were low but they had great offers. They had neither.

Maybe IT is trying to step away from a Longhorns base and into the other fan bases in Texas. Because there was some serious spin in that Baylor article.

He was famously high on Kyle Porter when everyone else wanted Darius Anderson. Then, when Anderson was busting huge gains on us, he asked, "Who's this guy?" on Twitter.

asshat Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu Shaggy Silver Club Spawn of Cthulhu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Needs More Bourbon View Post
    He was famously high on Kyle Porter when everyone else wanted Darius Anderson. Then, when Anderson was busting huge gains on us, he asked, "Who's this guy?" on Twitter.
    Kind of like MB on QB recruits over the final years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
    Maybe IT is trying to step away from a Longhorns base and into the other fan bases in Texas. Because there was some serious spin in that Baylor article.
    Ian does this every year. He also breaks down every longhorn game, X & Os wise.

Sometimes he'll break down other teams not in the big xiis recruiting class. He doesn't have inside knowledge on prospects. He just watches film.

I do agree their class was ranked high tho.

And that qualifies him as a recruiting analyst how?
    Oh he's qualified. Just ask him and he'll tell you.

The statement that they fit well into an Oregon-style offense gives Boyd an out. When Baylor runs any other offense, he'll be able to say, see I told you that they wouldn't work in the present offensive scheme.

McGuire (TE Coach): Hired simply because of his Texas connections/recruiting.
    Delone (OL Coach): Coached at Temple with Rhule. Heavy pro style background.
    Thomas (QB Coach/Co-offensive coordinator): Was the OC at Temple for two years. very pro style offense.
    Jeff Nixon (RB Coach/Co-offensive coordinator): Mainly exposed to pro style offenses in the NFL. I guess people think because he spent 1 year as a TE coach with Chip Kelly in the NFL that makes him a "spread" OC.
    Baylor hasn't hired a WR coach yet since Lubick left.

I'm just not seeing how this background of coaches = "spread option". All the coaches, outside of McGuire, had a previous connection to Rhule and his offense they were running at Temple. If Baylor says they are running the spread it's going to end up like the Watson variety.
    Last edited by TexasStrong12; 02-27-2017 at 04:04 AM.

Yeah even with Lubick, I don't think they were ever going to run a spread offense. One thing I hadn't thought of is that Vaylor players had been recruited to run Briles' system, which couldn't be farther from a pro style offense. It may be a rough transition for Rhule, which is not good for him since this may be his only chance to win in the next three years.

If Baylor truly does try and change the offense, holy $#@!. This is going to to be amazingly fun to watch.

asshat Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz Shaggy Platinum Schulz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasStrong12 View Post
    McGuire (TE Coach): Hired simply because of his Texas connections/recruiting.
    Delone (OL Coach): Coached at Temple with Rhule. Heavy pro style background.
    Thomas (QB Coach/Co-offensive coordinator): Was the OC at Temple for two years. very pro style offense.
    Jeff Nixon (RB Coach/Co-offensive coordinator): Mainly exposed to pro style offenses in the NFL. I guess people think because he spent 1 year as a TE coach with Chip Kelly in the NFL that makes him a "spread" OC.
    Baylor hasn't hired a WR coach yet since Lubick left.

I'm just not seeing how this background of coaches = "spread option". All the coaches, outside of McGuire, had a previous connection to Rhule and his offense they were running at Temple. If Baylor says they are running the spread it's going to end up like the Watson variety.
    Lubick was one of their first hires (and was Co-OC) so everyone figured they'd run the Oregon spread or a variation of it. As their offensive hires progressed, it became very obvious that they were going to run a pro-style offense. It's a big reason why Lubick left.

Quote Originally Posted by sarvanaash View Post
    Ian Boyd' final ranking of the 2017 Big 12 recruiting classes.

Should be noted that Boyd was very down on our 2017 class. Also he tried not to look at star rankings, and more at film / each recruit's scheme fit, which favours a class like TCU's over a class like ours ours that was quickly assembled.
    how do you get a B- from B, B? That's not an average. Didn't address distinct needs like pass rusher--KC?

asshat NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse has a gigantic e-peen. NameAlreadyInUse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fourleafhorn View Post
    how do you get a B- from B, B? That's not an average. Didn't address distinct needs like pass rusher--KC?
    And a B+ and a B don't equal B+. You'll notice for West Virigina and Kansas their C and C+ averaged to a C, but for BlowU they got a curve.

This seems dumb.

asshat texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia has a gigantic e-peen. texifornia's Avatar
    Rapebears just picked up 3-star Bryan OT Ylijaah Hall: http://247sports.com/Player/Ylijaah-Hall-86636

asshat neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44 Probably Shaggy upper class neonmoon44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by texifornia View Post
    Rapebears just picked up 3-star Bryan OT Ylijaah Hall: http://247sports.com/Player/Ylijaah-Hall-86636
    Well it was his only offer so

Quote Originally Posted by neonmoon44 View Post
    Well it was his only offer so
    Wonder if it's becuase of grades or something? He's had contact with a lot of schools.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30 36 37 38 39 40