+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Golf Clubs

So my wife bought me a new set of irons for my birthday. I told her the set I wanted but completely forgot to tell her to get stiff shafts.

I am a bogey golfer so I am not too worried about it just wondering if I should try returning them to get stiff shafts or just use the regular flex. And yes my swing speed says I need stiff shafts.

Is it really going to make that big of a difference?

asshat hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post
    So my wife bought me a new set of irons for my birthday. I told her the set I wanted but completely forgot to tell her to get stiff shafts.

I am a bogey golfer so I am not too worried about it just wondering if I should try returning them to get stiff shafts or just use the regular flex. And yes my swing speed says I need stiff shafts.

Is it really going to make that big of a difference?
    Did she buy you graphite shafts? Steel shafts on irons because it's all about accuracy, not distance. Drivers are a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    Did she buy you graphite shafts? Steel shafts on irons because it's all about accuracy, not distance. Drivers are a different animal.
    steel shafts. But based on how far I hit my 8 iron and swing speed I was told to get stiff steel shafts not regular.

I don't think it's a huge deal as I am not a scratch golfer just put it out to the shag for thoughts.

purveyor of taste huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge's Avatar
    steel shafts. But based on how far I hit my 8 iron and swing speed I was told to get stiff steel shafts not regular.

I don't think it's a huge deal as I am not a scratch golfer just put it out to the shag for thoughts.
    Definitely matters. If she got them from a store with a swing analyzer onsite I would take them back and talk to one of the people to make sure you have the right shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    Definitely matters. If she got them from a store with a swing analyzer onsite I would take them back and talk to one of the people to make sure you have the right shafts.
    Thanks. Amazon.................

I never thought shafts had that huge of an effect until I spent a few hours on the range with the Mizuno guy at Tierra Verde one day. Going through his array of shafts and clubheads it was more obvious in both distance and height that the shaft was affecting my flight more than the club heads were. And it is more than just stiffness, the kick point makes a big difference too.

asshat 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn's Avatar
    I would argue that shafts make more of a difference than any head does.

purveyor of taste huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 936horn View Post
    The last time I got fitted on a driver the guys said that the shaft is the engine and the club head is the hood ornament. Simplistic probably but you get the point.

asshat 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 936horn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    The last time I got fitted on a driver the guys said that the shaft is the engine and the club head is the hood ornament. Simplistic probably but you get the point.
    Pretty good analogy. The USGA has pretty strict guidelines on what a driver head can and cannot be. How "hot" the face can be, the max size (460cc) etc etc. There is only so much that can be improved in the heads when compared to similar model years between TM, Titleist, Srixon, Mizuno etc. Any major OEM from the past couple years will perform similarly with the same shaft. Now, go and swap shafts around and you can easily start hooking, slicing, hitting low flying cruise missiles, high ballooning shots that lose 30 yards of distance, etc etc etc. Shaft fitting is yuuuuge with all the differences in flex, tip stiffness, kick points, spin rates, trajectories, etc
    Last edited by 936horn; 07-18-2017 at 10:26 AM.

asshat HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club HouTex Shaggy Bronze Club
    Pretty good analogy. The USGA has pretty strict guidelines on what a driver head can and cannot be. How "hot" the face can be, the max size (460cc) etc etc. There is only so much that can be improved in the heads when compared to similar model years between TM, Titleist, Srixon, Mizuno etc. Any major OEM from the past couple years will perform similarly with the same shaft. Now, go and swap shafts around and you can easily start hooking, slicing, hitting low flying cruise missiles, high ballooning shots that lose 30 yards of distance, etc etc etc. Shaft fitting is yuuuuge with all the differences in flex, tip stiffness, kick points, spin rates, trajectories, etc
    This. Get fitted with a Trackman and you see first hand how much difference it makes. There was a 30 yard difference between shafts when I got fitted for a new TM M2 3 metal.

asshat SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin's Avatar

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2