+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Millennials are morons

asshat NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop Definitely Shaggy upper class NorthLoop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete's Mustache View Post
    Solid rant for sure. A+. My criticism is that the stereotype is based almost entirely on social media, which is dominated by people that fit the stereotype. Most of the smart, well-adjusted, successful millennials I know are responsible users of social media. A clever thought here and there. Share an interesting article from a legitimate source to spark a conversation. A check in at a neat place from time to time. Pictures with the family. All intermittent, maybe once or twice a week at most.

The dumbasses, most of whom are millenials because social media developed simultaneously with them, overwhelm the social media and abuse it. Five to ten posts a day to "look at me!" Sharing of stupid click bait articles about celebrity breakups or "top ten sex positions for airplane bathrooms." Photos of every meal they have throughout the day. Check-ins at the gas station "gettin some gas for lunch, taquitos, yum!" Pictures of them getting wasted without any regard for the fact that anyone can see it, including employers, parents, etc. They are the ones that post the stupid "Facebook Privacy Policy Declaration" dumb$#@! because they can't comprehend for a second that it smells like bull$#@! and is bull$#@!. They are the ones working for Buzzfeed and HuffPo with twelve clickbait nonsense articles a day.

Point being, the stereotype exists, and they are the loudest and most visible. A very large portion of the generation doesn't fit the mold but they aren't as visible because they are doing good jobs and aren't obsessed with attention.
    This pretty much nails it. For the most part regular people are still regular people. One of the most successful millennials I know just completely deleted his facebook account years ago.

I'm not against spanking per se, but I've tried it and it doesn't work. It makes things worse actually. I've had lots of success in other ways though. It probably works for some kids but not mine. I'm fine with it as long as we're not talking about Adrian Peterson type bull$#@!.

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    of all the tangents this thread could have taken.... $#@!ing spanking? shut the $#@!ing $#@! up you $#@!ing wanker $#@!s!

Quote Originally Posted by iShag View Post
    I still say there is a huge difference between the kids that can remember a time before the internet versus those who can't. 1992-3 or so as a birth day.
    early millenials have more in common tech wise with late gen x than they do with late millenials.

maybe gen x should be extended. the early gen x were the guys in iraq 1, late gen x extend to afghanistan/iraq 2. or maybe 80s kids should be its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by elfenix View Post
    early millenials have more in common tech wise with late gen x than they do with late millenials.

maybe gen x should be extended. the early gen x were the guys in iraq 1, late gen x extend to afghanistan/iraq 2. or maybe 80s kids should be its own thing.
    AN AOL ADOLESCENCE

Did you come home from middle school and head straight to AOL, praying all the time that you’d hear those magic words, “You’ve Got Mail” after waiting for the painfully slow dial-up internet to connect? If so, then yes, you are a member of the Oregon Trail Generation. And you are definitely part of this generation if you hopped in and out of sketchy chat rooms asking others their A/S/L (age/sex/location for the uninitiated).

Precisely at the time that you were becoming obsessed with celebrities, music and the opposite sex, you magically had access to “the internet,” a thing that few normal people even partially grasped the power of at the time.

We were the first group of high school kids to do research for papers both online and in an old-fashioned card catalogue, which many millennials have never even heard of by the way (I know because I asked my 21-year-old intern and he started stuttering about library cards).

Because we had one foot in the traditional ways of yore and one foot in the digital information age, we appreciate both in a way that other generations don’t. We can quickly turn curmudgeonly in the face of teens who’ve never written a letter, but we’re glued to our smartphones just like they are.

Those born in the late 70s and early 80s were the last group to have a childhood devoid of all the technology that makes childhood and adolescence today pretty much the worst thing imaginable. We were the last gasp of a time before sexting, Facebook shaming, and constant communication.

We used pay-phones; we showed up at each other’s houses without warning; we often spoke to our friends’ parents before we got to speak to them; and we had to wait at least an hour to see any photos we’d taken. But for the group of kids just a little younger than us, the whole world changed, and that’s not an exaggeration. In fact, it’s possible that you had a completely different childhood experience than a sibling just 5 years your junior, which is pretty mind-blowing.
    http://socialmediaweek.org/blog/2015...il-generation/

asshat js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum
    Hell yes, finally, a legit name for my generation.

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    Oregon Trail generation ??!! I thought all those $#@!ers got eaten...

asshat sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club
    i'm part of the oregon trail generation?

god damnit, i've died of dysentery.

I miss my slutty avatar. Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger Shaggy Gold Club Scary Stranger's Avatar
    Link for Top 10 Sex Positions for an Airplane Bathroom article? Asking for a friend.

well,, it hard to say TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sidis View Post

same

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    Quote Originally Posted by sidis View Post

pretty $#@!ty way to go…..

too soon ?

bunghole ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club
    In recent years, I have spent a lot of time advising start-ups, many that were part of a prominent Incubator at a major Southern California university, and also here in in London. I have dealt with hundreds of smart, educated millenials. It's a stereotype because it is true: Millenials are entitled, narcissistic idiots as a whole.

Growing up in a selfie-taking society where you are always told you're special, you can't get failed in school because it might hurt your feelings and be bad for your development, a society where Paris Hilton and the Kardashians tell you that everyone can be rich and famous without any special talents, nay, everyone DESERVES to be because, well, you're all special snowflakes, has had a massive impact.

I was talking to a friend who is the MD of a large software company based here in London recently. They are expanding rapidly, and he's been taking part in later stage interviews for applicants. He said to me, "I never really believed the stereotypes about Millenials, but after interviewing a whole bunch of them, I see what they mean. It's ridiculous. I've been asking them 'Why do you deserve to be hired for this position?' And amongst the answers I've received are: 'Why don't I deserve it?', 'I'm charismatic!', and 'Because I worked hard in college.' The overall sense of entitlement they have is astonishing."

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    Am I reading this wrong? Someone is confused they are getting entitled answers when they structure a question that essentially asks "why are you entitled to....?"

Not "how have your experiences prepared you for this job" or "in what ways/how/why are you qualified for this role?" But literally, "why do you deserve this job"?

I think the idiot in that scenario is not the one answering the question. Or maybe I'm an idiot because I find "why don't I deserve it" a reasonable answer to why I would deserve a job. Who deserves a job? I guess the right answer is "I deserve this job if i please the powers that be in the recruitment process and you find me agreeable, because I meet all your basic qualifications."?
    Last edited by CutTheCrackJack; 10-02-2015 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CutTheCrackJack View Post
    Am I reading this wrong? Someone is confused they are getting entitled answers when they structure a question that essentially asks "why are you entitled to....?"

Not "how have your experiences prepared you for this job" or "in what ways/how/why are you qualified for this role?" But literally, "why do you deserve this job"?

I think the idiot in that scenario is not the one answering the question. Or maybe I'm an idiot because I find "why don't I deserve it" a reasonable answer to why I would deserve a job. Who deserves a job? I guess the right answer is "I deserve this job if i please the powers that be in the recruitment process and you find me agreeable, because I meet all your basic qualifications."?
    I hate that question, how aren't you supposed to sound entitled?

The correct answer to that question is "Because $#@! you, that's why"

E: Oregon Trail generation? Hm.
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; 10-02-2015 at 11:26 AM.

asshat Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine's Avatar
    I posted this in another thread, but it's perfect for this one... Texas Monthly interviewed college students about political involvement:

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    LOL, her name is Mimosa. The generation that birthed her named her after their Sunday Funday hook-up where she was conceived in some sloppy post-chicken and waffles, drunken afternoon. What can we expect?

So we've established young people are entitled jackwagons. Not all of them but many. Top ones are good, the mid-bottom are bad.

Can we steer the discussion to how to hire and identify the good ones? How to deal with this new phenomena in this environment? I'm a young person who is about to graduate and I hate my peers. I would kill myself at my internships, stay late, seek out extra help/knowledge etc. while the other interns would brag about how they didn't do anything all day and just shopped on amazon. What can I do to show I am genuinely separate from that?

asshat hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn probably preboards planes hayden_horn's Avatar
    millenials are smarter than their predecessors. it's an uncomfortable fact, but they are like nearly every other generation that's ever been birthed. they do things differently, the olds shake their heads at their stupid music and their lazy asses, and the world goes on.

for the record, i was born in 1978 to a father born in 31 and a ma born in 41. i identify fully with the oregon trail generation description above.

asshat Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iShag View Post
    So we've established young people are entitled jackwagons. Not all of them but many. Top ones are good, the mid-bottom are bad.

Can we steer the discussion to how to hire and identify the good ones?
    Seriously? It's ridiculously easy to identify the good ones. I have told the good ones that, too -- "Be yourself, and you will completely stand out." The bad ones are so lacking in awareness that they almost immediately identify themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by hayden_horn View Post
    millenials are smarter than their predecessors. it's an uncomfortable fact,
    It's really not. Ryan Leaf had way more talent than 99% of the QBs that came before him.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Vine View Post
    Seriously? It's ridiculously easy to identify the good ones. I have told the good ones that, too -- "Be yourself, and you will completely stand out." The bad ones are so lacking in awareness that they almost immediately identify themselves.
    Hear me out. I don't want to give too many details but I'm close with some profs etc. and they are telling me that a few companies that are known to be strong traditional recruiters have been firing sometimes over 50% of the new hires because of performance. That the kids talked the talk but failed to walk the walk and I guess as someone actively searching for a job, I'm just trying to learn and do what I can do distance myself from the bad and show, in earnest, that I want to earn a spot and work hard. I'm not asking for a how to, just a discussion on how y'all/we deal with it. At one point, I hope to move up and inevitably will do some hiring etc too.

Um, everything that girl said is accurate? Young people don't send a lot of physical mail. You should be able to register to vote online. Why 30 days? Many olds freely admit that they don't want college students to vote in local elections because they don't count as actual residents.

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    Um, everything that girl said is accurate?
    "Nobody's thinking about the election a month ahead of time."

You should be able to register to vote by clicking a link on twitter.

Gotdam, dude...

What kind of clueless dipshits don't know when elections are a month away? Also, you can send your voter registration thing in before you're even 18 in Texas (you have to be 18 to vote, obviously). If you're too stupid to put something into the mail, your parents can help you. It also doesn't require a stamp.

E: Seriously, are these things that are considered difficult? Filling out a form and putting it in a mailbox a month before elections?
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; 10-02-2015 at 01:07 PM.

Okay, maybe I should not have said "everything."

asshat We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post
    What kind of clueless dipshits don't know when elections are a month away? Also, you can send your voter registration thing in before you're even 18 in Texas (you have to be 18 to vote, obviously). If you're too stupid to put something into the mail, your parents can help you. It also doesn't require a stamp.

E: Seriously, are these things that are considered difficult? Filling out a form and putting it in a mailbox a month before elections?
    I literally cannot remember the last time I mailed something. Wedding invitations, I guess, and even then I'm terrible about answering those. So yeah, for a generation that has no use for mail, using mail is a hassle. Can we move on to how irresponsible we are for never carrying cash?

Quote Originally Posted by We'reTexas View Post
    I literally cannot remember the last time I mailed something. Wedding invitations, I guess, and even then I'm terrible about answering those. So yeah, for a generation that has no use for mail, using mail is a hassle. Can we move on to how irresponsible we are for never carrying cash?
    Carrying cash sucks. As far as mailing stuff goes, it's pretty easy. I'll tell you how: Put it in a mailbox and walk away.

bunghole ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club ShouldaMarriedAStripper Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by CutTheCrackJack View Post

Nobody is getting confused that they are getting entitled answers to that question. He was saying that most of the Millenials proved that they were exactly that by the way they answered. I have been formally interviewed for a job maybe twice in my life but I have done a $#@!load of interviewing candidates for positions over the course of the last couple of decades plus.

That question gives the interviewee the opportunity to show me that they are entitled, but it also gives the interviewee the opportunity to show me that he/she is NOT entitled with a thoughtful answer. Your last sentence is closer to the truth: yes you want to please the person who is assessing you, not because you want to seem agreeable, but because you answer that question and others in a way that separates you from the majority in a positive way.

I got a response along these lines recently, and it was someone I ended up choosing to advise and whose startup I invested in:

"What do you mean by 'deserve?' Other than the Hitlers of the world, can we really say that anyone 'deserves' something? Does that starving refugee child in the Sudan deserve his fate? Do Bill Gates or Zuckerberg deserve to have tens of billions of dollars? I don't want to get into a philosophical discussion that we can't possibly arrive at any absolute truths from, but I would say that I hope I can get your support and make XYZ a big success so that a couple of years from now someone could look at what we achieved and say, '*guy's own name* and his team showed that they deserved the investment in time and money that SMAS and his partners gave them.'"

Other than sort of referring to himself in the third person, which I hate, I thought it was a good way to answer that question whilst NOT seeming entitled.

Quote Originally Posted by ShouldaMarriedAStripper View Post
    Nobody is getting confused that they are getting entitled answers to that question. He was saying that most of the Millenials proved that they were exactly that by the way they answered. I have been formally interviewed for a job maybe twice in my life but I have done a $#@!load of interviewing candidates for positions over the course of the last couple of decades plus.

That question gives the interviewee the opportunity to show me that they are entitled, but it also gives the interviewee the opportunity to show me that he/she is NOT entitled with a thoughtful answer. Your last sentence is closer to the truth: yes you want to please the person who is assessing you, not because you want to seem agreeable, but because you answer that question and others in a way that separates you from the majority in a positive way.

I got a response along these lines recently, and it was someone I ended up choosing to advise and whose startup I invested in:

"What do you mean by 'deserve?' Other than the Hitlers of the world, can we really say that anyone 'deserves' something? Does that starving refugee child in the Sudan deserve his fate? Do Bill Gates or Zuckerberg deserve to have tens of billions of dollars? I don't want to get into a philosophical discussion that we can't possibly arrive at any absolute truths from, but I would say that I hope I can get your support and make XYZ a big success so that a couple of years from now someone could look at what we achieved and say, '*guy's own name* and his team showed that they deserved the investment in time and money that SMAS and his partners gave them.'"

Other than sort of referring to himself in the third person, which I hate, I thought it was a good way to answer that question whilst NOT seeming entitled.
    I agree that is a good, thoughtful answer.

What I don't agree with is your overreach and outsized reaction that millennial's are entitled because the majority answer what you just admitted is a bit of a "gotcha" question, the wrong way. I've done a bit of hiring myself and have had my hooks in a startup community, from early stage/seed to more mature concerns, and it's just my opinion that the majority of an applicant pool from any generation set would sound entitled when asked the question you ask.

Millennial's might be entitled $#@!s, but you got to that conclusion incorrectly in my opinion. Probably something to do with a confirmation or bias or huerestic (what does that word even mean? Does it fit here? I know I've known it at some point. $#@!, am I betraying my quasi-millenialism?)

asshat ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas's Avatar
    I just hired a millennial, I will post observations in this thread. Kind of a shaggy online experiment. Can I get government funding for this?

Quote Originally Posted by ShouldaMarriedAStripper View Post

That question gives the interviewee the opportunity to show me that they are entitled, but it also gives the interviewee the opportunity to show me that he/she is NOT entitled with a thoughtful answer.
    Exactly why I posted this on page 1 of this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Vine View Post
    To be fair, they weren't told exactly what they were going to be tested on.

We're interviewing for a faculty position in a couple of weeks. One of the main questions I am going to ask is, "How do you prepare your students for a test?" Anyone who says, "I don't; that's their job" is going to get a gold star.

asshat WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex Definitely Shaggy upper class WhoooTex's Avatar
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...oblem-colleges

Declining Student Resilience: A Serious Problem for Colleges
    College personnel everywhere are struggling with students' increased neediness.

Posted Sep 22, 2015

A year ago I received an invitation from the head of Counseling Services at a major university to join faculty and administrators for discussions about how to deal with the decline in resilience among students. At the first meeting, we learned that emergency calls to Counseling had more than doubled over the past five years. Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them.

Faculty at the meetings noted that students’ emotional fragility has become a serious problem when it comes to grading. Some said they had grown afraid to give low grades for poor performance, because of the subsequent emotional crises they would have to deal with in their offices. Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such “failure” as the end of the world. Faculty also noted an increased tendency for students to blame them (the faculty) for low grades—they weren’t explicit enough in telling the students just what the test would cover or just what would distinguish a good paper from a bad one. They described an increased tendency to see a poor grade as reason to complain rather than as reason to study more, or more effectively. Much of the discussions had to do with the amount of handholding faculty should do versus the degree to which the response should be something like, “Buck up, this is college.” Does the first response simply play into and perpetuate students’ neediness and unwillingness to take responsibility? Does the second response create the possibility of serious emotional breakdown, or, who knows, maybe even suicide?

Two weeks ago, that head of Counseling sent us all a follow-up email, announcing a new set of meetings. His email included this sobering paragraph:

“I have done a considerable amount of reading and research in recent months on the topic of resilience in college students. Our students are no different from what is being reported across the country on the state of late adolescence/early adulthood. There has been an increase in diagnosable mental health problems, but there has also been a decrease in the ability of many young people to manage the everyday bumps in the road of life. Whether we want it or not, these students are bringing their struggles to their teachers and others on campus who deal with students on a day-to-day basis. The lack of resilience is interfering with the academic mission of the University and is thwarting the emotional and personal development of students.”

He also sent us a summary of themes that emerged in the series of meetings, which included the following bullets:

Less resilient and needy students have shaped the landscape for faculty in that they are expected to do more handholding, lower their academic standards, and not challenge students too much.
    There is a sense of helplessness among the faculty. Many faculty members expressed their frustration with the current situation. There were few ideas about what we could do as an institution to address the issue.
    Students are afraid to fail; they do not take risks; they need to be certain about things. For many of them, failure is seen as catastrophic and unacceptable. External measures of success are more important than learning and autonomous development.
    Faculty, particularly young faculty members, feel pressured to accede to student wishes lest they get low teacher ratings from their students. Students email about trivial things and expect prompt replies.
    Failure and struggle need to be normalized. Students are very uncomfortable in not being right. They want to re-do papers to undo their earlier mistakes. We have to normalize being wrong and learning from one’s errors.
    Faculty members, individually and as a group, are conflicted about how much “handholding” they should be doing.
    Growth is achieved by striking the right balance between support and challenge. We need to reset the balance point. We have become a “helicopter institution.”
    Reinforcing the claim that this is a nationwide problem, the Chronicle of Higher Education recently ran an article by Robin Wilson entitled, “An Epidemic of Anguish: Overwhelmed by Demand for Mental-Health Care, Colleges Face Conflicts in Choosing How to Respond" (Aug. 31, 2015). Colleges and universities have traditionally been centers for higher academic education, where the expectation is that the students are adults, capable of taking care of their own everyday life problems. Increasingly, students and their parents are asking the personnel at such institutions to be substitute parents. There is also the ever-present threat and reality of lawsuits. When a suicide occurs, or a serious mental breakdown occurs, the institution is often held responsible.

On the basis of her interviews with heads of counseling offices at various colleges and universities, Wilson wrote:

“Families often expect campuses to provide immediate, sophisticated, and sustained mental-health care. After all, most parents are still adjusting to the idea that their children no longer come home every night, and many want colleges to keep an eye on their kids, just as they did. Students, too, want colleges to give them the help they need, when they need it. And they need a lot. Rates of anxiety and depression among American college students have soared in the last decade, and many more students than in the past come to campus already on medication for such illnesses. The number of students with suicidal thoughts has risen as well. Some are dealing with serious issues, such as psychosis, which typically presents itself in young adulthood, just when students are going off to college. Many others, though, are struggling with what campus counselors say are the usual stresses of college life: bad grades, breakups, being on their own for the first time. And they are putting a strain on counseling centers.”

In previous posts (for example, here and here), I have described the dramatic decline, over the past few decades, in children’s opportunities to play, explore, and pursue their own interests away from adults. Among the consequences, I have argued, are well-documented increases in anxiety and depression, and decreases in the sense of control of their own lives. We have raised a generation of young people who have not been given the opportunity to learn how to solve their own problems. They have not been given the opportunity to get into trouble and find their own way out, to experience failure and realize they can survive it, to be called bad names by others and learn how to respond without adult intervention. So now, here’s what we have: Young people,18 years and older, going to college still unable or unwilling to take responsibility for themselves, still feeling that if a problem arises they need an adult to solve it.

Dan Jones, past president of the Association for University and College Counseling Center Directors, seems to agree with this assessment. In an interview for the Chronicle article, he said:

“[Students] haven’t developed skills in how to soothe themselves, because their parents have solved all their problems and removed the obstacles. They don’t seem to have as much grit as previous generations.”

In my next post I’ll examine the research evidence suggesting that so-called “helicopter parenting” really is at the core of the problem. But I don’t blame parents, or certainly not just parents. Parents are in some ways victims of larger forces in society—victims of the continuous exhortations from “experts” about the dangers of letting kids be, victims of the increased power of the school system and the schooling mentality that says kids develop best when carefully guided and supervised by adults, and victims of increased legal and social sanctions for allowing kids into public spaces without adult accompaniment. We have become, unfortunately, a “helicopter society.”

If we want to prepare our kids for college—or for anything else in life!—we have to counter these social forces. We have to give our children the freedom, which children have always enjoyed in the past, to get away from adults so they can practice being adults—that is, practice taking responsibility for themselves.

asshat pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo Shaggy Platinum pescado_rojo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ousuxndallas View Post
    I just hired a millennial, I will post observations in this thread. Kind of a shaggy online experiment. Can I get government funding for this?
    how big are her tits?

asshat ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pescado_rojo View Post
    how big are her tits?
    Update. Said millennial lied on his resume, which showed up during the background check. Offer rescinded. Hilarity ensued.

asshat shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. shigginz's Avatar
    Kickin' in the front seat, Sittin' in the back seat
    Update. Said millennial lied on his resume, which showed up during the background check. Offer rescinded. Hilarity ensued.
    Needs details. I'm assuming the tree in the background turned out to be a fake?

Many students, they said, now view a C, or sometimes even a B, as failure, and they interpret such “failure” as the end of the world.
    I see the exact opposite. I have students making 30's on multiple choice tests who either think they're going to be OK or expect me to offer them extra credit or forgive/forget the grade.

asshat Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shigginz View Post
    Needs details. I'm assuming the tree in the background turned out to be a fake?
    I always use a fake tree for my resume photo. Is that a bad thing?

So far the millenials I have hired have been excellent 2/3 of the time. I have one more I will hire early next year and hopefully she will make it 3/4, which would be a damn good batting average.

I have to say though, the millennial females seem to be both smarter and harder working than the men. That is a warning klaxon.

asshat bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate Shaggy Gold Club bad_teammate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayden_horn View Post
    millenials are smarter than their predecessors. it's an uncomfortable fact, but they are like nearly every other generation that's ever been birthed. they do things differently, the olds shake their heads at their stupid music and their lazy asses, and the world goes on.
    Yepp.

The world keeps getting better because we keep building, generation on generation, what we know and what we can do. Anyone who can't see it is being delusional.

asshat BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefeweizen View Post
    So far the millenials I have hired have been excellent 2/3 of the time.
    We hired 3-4 top grads from the Hispanic high school here in town as tellers and they are fantastic. All of them are first generation Americans and have the best work ethic (they are in college + work for us + other jobs) and are genuinely good people. I had three of them working for me last Saturday with a 50 year old lady. She ended up spending the first 45 minutes of the day making her coffee while they were helping customers.
    Last edited by BaylorHistory; 10-09-2015 at 04:54 PM.

oldfart Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat's Avatar
    Watch your back.

oldfart Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_teammate View Post
    Yepp.

The world keeps getting better because we keep building, generation on generation, what we know and what we can do. Anyone who can't see it is being delusional.
    That's why I let my kids program the VCRs 30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Meursault View Post
    Um, everything that girl said is accurate? Young people don't send a lot of physical mail. You should be able to register to vote online. Why 30 days? Many olds freely admit that they don't want college students to vote in local elections because they don't count as actual residents.

This 52 yr old Boomer has known about registering to vote online for the last 13 yrs. http://truethevote.org/register-to-vote
    Last edited by irvingtwosmokes; 10-09-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
    Watch your back.
    $#@!, we killing people down here, so yeah actually, watch your back.

asshat Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_teammate View Post
    Yepp.

Lol. Romans had similar delusions.

It will flip around. I like the generations perspective of the 4 generation cycle. The boomers are the artists. Gen x is the fix the $#@! problem started by their parents, the millennials are the dip$#@! generation and the post millennials will be studs that end up allowing their kids to be the ducks tick artist generation like the boomers. Rinse/repeat. We are due another "greatest" generation. That's not to say everything about the artist generation sucks (just most of it). External circumstances dictate what obstacles the generation is formed by/faces. Millennials suck but I'd take them over the typical selfish assed boomer

asshat KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze's Avatar

asshat Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet probably preboards planes Gatorubet's Avatar
    By hilarity, you mean "HR couch"?

asshat BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Rebuttal written by a guy in response to a mother & daughter (jokes write themselves) post about why millennials quit jobs.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/10/14/...d-do-your-job/

asshat texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilHorn View Post
    Rebuttal written by a guy in response to a mother & daughter (jokes write themselves) post about why millennials quit jobs.

http://thefederalist.com/2015/10/14/...d-do-your-job/
    Written with her mother. Perfect!

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast