+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Millennials are morons

Jesus $#@!ing Christ, is that how they think?
    Oh my God, that's how they think.

Bwahahahahaha

And...

Fugggggggggggg

asshat MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP's Avatar

asshat fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen's Avatar
    It was flannel. Plaid flannel.

asshat KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze Probably Shaggy upper class KaiserSoze's Avatar
    I would never think to make that distinction, damn.

As for after, they need to adjust their timeline- I didn't start to whine about Millennials until ~2008 when I finally had to deal with them.
    Last edited by KaiserSoze; 10-17-2015 at 11:22 PM.

asshat fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen has a gigantic e-peen. fawnknutsen's Avatar
    I think that timeline was made by a Millennial. Poor attention to detail and a lack of historical accuracy. The point wasn't to wear plaid, we wore plaid because our flannel was plaid. And we were definitely still doing that in 1996. 2008 sounds about right for the Millennial critical mass in my life. And the only Boomers I whined about pre-1990 were the ones who didn't get me my Jams fast enough.

bunghole Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails's Avatar
    So, I just had my first true fit of rage about millennial frustration yesterday.

I have a construction and service company in Austin. We're relatively new. Two years old. I bring on a really sharp kid out of Texas State (construction science major) as an intern in January. He's smart, communicates well, not afraid of challenges. Really adds value. So, we hire him full time as soon as he graduates in June. Everything's moving along pretty well. I'm adding more and more responsibility to his plate and giving him exposure to all facets of the business from estimating to field operations to project management. He does well in everything he tries. He learns quickly, never makes the same mistake twice and the other employees, clients, and subcontractors all love him.

This kid is not like others from his generation (or so I thought). He comes in early (7 AM or earlier), he works late, he works weekends, he works after hours. He's from a hard working family, did manual labor as a teen and has a good overall appreciation for hard work. He doesn't require coddling or praise. I truly thought this guy was in a spot to eventually run our company. That's how much I thought of him.

Fast forward to last week. I can tell something's amiss. He's acting differently. So, I press for answers without prying. Monday, I knew he wanted to quit. You could see it in his body language. Yesterday evening, we sit down for a beer after work. He tells me he's quitting to go to work for ZipCar. $#@!ing ZipCar. Not as a programmer or project manager or strategist. But as a runner that moves cars, fills them with gas and does software updates. Says he realizes he doesn't like construction and he "just doesn't want to work this hard for the rest of his life". He's "mentally drained" at the end of the day and doesn't have the energy to do the things he wants to do after work. He wants to spend more time doing things he's passionate about and more time "experiencing life". He "doesn't live an extravagant lifestyle and doesn't need nice things", so it's not a money thing.

I asked him about his long-term goals and he said he wants to "start several successful new businesses and run them myself". OK. Sure. But, you don't want to work hard to do that, right? Makes sense to me!

It wasn't about pay. It wasn't about upward mobility. It was about working less and having more free time. Nice. I didn't even remotely try to talk him out of it.

I guess part of me is jealous. He's 23 with no wife, no kids, no responsibility. He can get away with that $#@!. I was honest with him and told him that I hoped he was right. I hope he can do something he loves and make good money. But, I also warned him that $#@! happens. And life changes. And, at some point, you're going to have to do $#@! you don't like doing in order to get to the place you want to be.

I'm not pissed that this happened. I'm pissed that he wasn't what I thought he was. I'm pissed that, even the one that I think is "different" is still generationally brainwashed to think that the world owes him something and that everything he does should be fun and tickle his emotional taint. $#@! that.

tl;dr New hire millennial says he doesn't like working hard, so he quit.

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    ^ I don't see a problem with this. At all.

I also don't read it as "the world owes me something" like you do.

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    Further it sounds like he went above and beyond for you and that you should be grateful you had such a good young employee to help you maximize your profits rather than judge his personal ambitions and desires.

The only entitlement I read is an entitlement that people value work/life and operate in the same ways that you do.
    Last edited by CutTheCrackJack; 10-22-2015 at 07:54 AM.

asshat formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutTheCrackJack View Post

Agreed. Sounds to me like he just has different priorities. Whether that's due to his generation or his place in life and that changes as he gets older, or whether he is just genuinely wired differently and it endures-it's ok.

asshat texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago's Avatar
    I read it as someone who is not willing to pay his dues on the front end when you're young and, honestly, you haven't earned anything.

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    Quote Originally Posted by texasdago View Post
    I read it as someone who is not willing to pay his dues on the front end when you're young and, honestly, you haven't earned anything.
    Sort of yeah, but the kid seems to know what hard work is. He just doesn't want to do it. That's a problem if you get too many people with that attitude, you become France.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchCumsteen View Post
    So, I just had my first true fit of rage about millennial frustration yesterday.

I have a construction and service company in Austin. We're relatively new. Two years old. I bring on a really sharp kid out of Texas State (construction science major) as an intern in January. He's smart, communicates well, not afraid of challenges. Really adds value. So, we hire him full time as soon as he graduates in June. Everything's moving along pretty well. I'm adding more and more responsibility to his plate and giving him exposure to all facets of the business from estimating to field operations to project management. He does well in everything he tries. He learns quickly, never makes the same mistake twice and the other employees, clients, and subcontractors all love him.

This kid is not like others from his generation (or so I thought). He comes in early (7 AM or earlier), he works late, he works weekends, he works after hours. He's from a hard working family, did manual labor as a teen and has a good overall appreciation for hard work. He doesn't require coddling or praise. I truly thought this guy was in a spot to eventually run our company. That's how much I thought of him.

Fast forward to last week. I can tell something's amiss. He's acting differently. So, I press for answers without prying. Monday, I knew he wanted to quit. You could see it in his body language. Yesterday evening, we sit down for a beer after work. He tells me he's quitting to go to work for ZipCar. $#@!ing ZipCar. Not as a programmer or project manager or strategist. But as a runner that moves cars, fills them with gas and does software updates. Says he realizes he doesn't like construction and he "just doesn't want to work this hard for the rest of his life". He's "mentally drained" at the end of the day and doesn't have the energy to do the things he wants to do after work. He wants to spend more time doing things he's passionate about and more time "experiencing life". He "doesn't live an extravagant lifestyle and doesn't need nice things", so it's not a money thing.

I asked him about his long-term goals and he said he wants to "start several successful new businesses and run them myself". OK. Sure. But, you don't want to work hard to do that, right? Makes sense to me!

It wasn't about pay. It wasn't about upward mobility. It was about working less and having more free time. Nice. I didn't even remotely try to talk him out of it.

I guess part of me is jealous. He's 23 with no wife, no kids, no responsibility. He can get away with that $#@!. I was honest with him and told him that I hoped he was right. I hope he can do something he loves and make good money. But, I also warned him that $#@! happens. And life changes. And, at some point, you're going to have to do $#@! you don't like doing in order to get to the place you want to be.

I'm not pissed that this happened. I'm pissed that he wasn't what I thought he was. I'm pissed that, even the one that I think is "different" is still generationally brainwashed to think that the world owes him something and that everything he does should be fun and tickle his emotional taint. $#@! that.

We have two Mitch $#@!steens here?
    Last edited by Chuckie Finster; 10-22-2015 at 08:46 AM.

asshat texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OnBoard View Post
    Sort of yeah, but the kid seems to know what hard work is. He just doesn't want to do it. That's a problem if you get too many people with that attitude, you become France.
    He did toil and suffer through 9 months of hard work. Time to retire.

asshat BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong's Avatar
    Oh the bitching about your company that his friends and family must have suffered. They're the real MVP.

bunghole Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails's Avatar
    We have two Mitch $#@!steens here?
    Yep. I'm not the one with the crazy wife.

Maybe I didn't articulate it well enough, but I'm not necessarily frustrated with him. I'm frustrated with his decision. If anything, I'm a tad jealous. But, I'm also disappointed that he made that decision. I thought he was different. It just summarizes the generation's $#@!ulative decision to avoid putting in your time and expecting life to be full of fun experiences and happy times where you receive accolades for everything you do.

To your point (and the points of many others), he has a different work / life balance in mind. That's OK, but it doesn't work with my company. I want hard workers who contribute to the company. I'm happy he's following his heart, but I'm disappointed that's the route his heart lead him.

asshat Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek's Avatar
    Sounds like you were giving him too much too fast. He seems to think work gets easier as you move up the ladder and that free time comes with more responsibility. Yeah he has it wrong, but some folks are like that.

asshat sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club
    To your point (and the points of many others), he has a different work / life balance in mind. That's OK, but it doesn't work with my company. I want hard workers who contribute to the company. I'm happy he's following his heart, but I'm disappointed that's the route his heart lead him.
    i am completely with ctcj. he does have a different work/life balance that doesn't work for your company as you say. but he didn't try to bend you to him to stay on. he didn't try and leverage it for more money. he respected you and your company and acknowledged that he didn't want what you want...that he was willing to take a cut in pay for what he perceived to be a better work/life balance. i'm not sure why that should bring on a "true fit of rage about millenials." you admitted you were jealous that this guy was 23 and had the ability to enjoy being 23, working, getting paid, and enjoying his one chance at being young and untethered. your desire for him to spend it doing the same thing as you so his 401k was fully stocked is not grounds for rage. and i say this as the guy that spent way too much of his 20's setting myself up financially from growing up poor. but it's not like the guy is going on welfare...he's taking a less stressful and time consuming job and focusing more on being 23, chasing tail, having fun.

Yep. I'm not the one with the crazy wife.

Maybe I didn't articulate it well enough, but I'm not necessarily frustrated with him. I'm frustrated with his decision. If anything, I'm a tad jealous. But, I'm also disappointed that he made that decision. I thought he was different. It just summarizes the generation's $#@!ulative decision to avoid putting in your time and expecting life to be full of fun experiences and happy times where you receive accolades for everything you do.

Can anyone fit that description without working 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week?

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcat09 View Post
    Can anyone fit that description without working 12 hours a day, 6-7 days a week?
    Not if you own a company definitely.

I would support this kid. He has the rest of his life to bust his ass. He is only 23 years old once. My advice have fun until you are 30 then dig in and become successful.

A person won't fit in at your company if they're not willing to work 60+ hours a week, give up their weekends, and when they finally get away from the office they're a burnt out mess?

You're right, I do see a problem here.
    Last edited by Storm the Field; 10-22-2015 at 10:30 AM.

asshat BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BritishHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    To be fair, coming in at 7am working late and weekends sucks. I did that for 5 years at a firm that was a sweatshop and got burnt out. Went to work for another firm with regular hours, weekends off and vacation and better pay and I was much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Field View Post
    A person won't fit in at your company if they're not willing to work 60+ hours a week, give up their weekends, and when they finally get away from the office they're a burnt out mess?

Those damn Millennials right? Need to work 70+ Hours and be grateful of the idea of having time off. Not actually having time off, but the idea.

asshat SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin's Avatar
    Are millennials financially screwed?

h, the mythical Millennial. Bloomberg sat down with a few to get their perspective on their financial lives in our Bisnow Video of the Day. For starters, only 28% of Millennials have no debt. Some of the interviewees claim up to $130k in debt. 17% claim to be struggling, but don't worry because 41% are managing. The difficulty to save is reflected in increased rental rates, as fewer young people are able to purchase homes but want to live in urban areas. Many of the interviewed Millennials would rather follow their passion than work for The Man. "We do have the ability, I just think that we have to be more creative about how we do it," one young woman says. "We make it harder for ourselves so we make it an interesting life." Just look at all those tech startups out there. And although only 34% of Millennials expect to retire before 65, at least they're following their dream, right?

There is a lot of cognitive dissonance when the people who raised the millenials bitch about how $#@!ty they are, as if they don't/didn't play a large part in how they turn/ed out.

asshat Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles's Avatar
    They don't see why the Googles of the world have lush offices, free beer, and 'engaged cultures'. It's because they want you to live there when it's necessary. Also what proportion of startups fail within a year? How much money do they make?

I had a girl for 5 years who was 'creative' artist type. Finished undergrad in 2005. She knew about hard work and low pay...keeps working at sign companies and odd jobs like horse braiding.

Point being...you can be as creative as you want and reach for the stars...but better have a backup plan unless you want to be poor most of your life

asshat We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club We'reTexas Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by bighornfan32 View Post
    There is a lot of cognitive dissonance when the people who raised the millenials bitch about how $#@!ty they are, as if they don't/didn't play a large part in how they turn/ed out.
    I also think it's weird about how everyone laments the death of employer loyalty and how Americans overwork themselves, and then on these threads trash millennials for actually resisting these trends.

If he can pull it off, good for him. If it doesn't work out, he'll eventually get to work too many hours at a meaningless job like the rest of us. I'm not a millenial, but I'll never understand why the olds think that if you want evenings and weekends for yourself and/or your family it means lazy. Some people like working 80 hours a week and on weekends, good for them. Some of us like having hobbies and families. There's nothing wrong with it. I'd like to work fewer hours and as soon as I can make it work financially, I'll probably do it. I have a mound of student debt to pay down before it's feasible for me and I hate that I'm having to miss a lot of my daughter's upbringing. If I could go back ten years I might have tried something different.

asshat sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum

It looks like he thought he found someone he could groom to run the whole damn thing, not that he expected all his workers to be like that.

i am completely with ctcj. he does have a different work/life balance that doesn't work for your company as you say. but he didn't try to bend you to him to stay on. he didn't try and leverage it for more money. he respected you and your company and acknowledged that he didn't want what you want...that he was willing to take a cut in pay for what he perceived to be a better work/life balance. i'm not sure why that should bring on a "true fit of rage about millenials." you admitted you were jealous that this guy was 23 and had the ability to enjoy being 23, working, getting paid, and enjoying his one chance at being young and untethered. your desire for him to spend it doing the same thing as you so his 401k was fully stocked is not grounds for rage. and i say this as the guy that spent way too much of his 20's setting myself up financially from growing up poor. but it's not like the guy is going on welfare...he's taking a less stressful and time consuming job and focusing more on being 23, chasing tail, having fun.
    This is well said. And, after sleeping on it, I've calmed down a ton. And "a true fit of rage" was a huge overstatement on my part. At the end of the visit yesterday, we shook hands and I thanked him for being honest. I asked him if that meeting went like he expected, and he said "I've never done that before, but it went way easier than I expected". I asked him to finish the project he's working on which would keep him with us through mid-November. He and I have some mutual ties, so I'm sure we'll stay in touch. He asked me today if I would continue to serve as a mentor to him. I said yes, and I'm happy to do so.

I need to qualify that somewhat. It wasn't 60+ hours a week by any means. I meant that he came in early (when needed), worked late (when needed) and worked weekends (when needed). That was sporadic at best. He worked 40-45 hours per week. We do service work, so some of our projects happen off business hours. But, when you come in at 5 AM, you go home at 2 PM. And if you work a half day on Saturday, you take a half day off the following week. He knew that coming in and was totally fine with it. And, a big chunk of what he was doing was by his own initiative. Sending emails to clients at night, etc. I meant that he didn't meet the stereotypical "millennial" schedule of showing up to work at 9:30 and wanting to leave at 4:00.

His "burn out" was from having to communicate and schedule and manage a project. Maybe I did give him too much too fast. That's on me. He was capable and showed strong skills in learning how to manage a project from start to finish, so I continued to challenge him and he welcomed (and even thanked us) for the challenges... Until the end, I suppose.

If he can pull it off, good for him. If it doesn't work out, he'll eventually get to work too many hours at a meaningless job like the rest of us. I'm not a millenial, but I'll never understand why the olds think that if you want evenings and weekends for yourself and/or your family it means lazy. Some people like working 80 hours a week and on weekends, good for them. Some of us like having hobbies and families. There's nothing wrong with it. I'd like to work fewer hours and as soon as I can make it work financially, I'll probably do it. I have a mound of student debt to pay down before it's feasible for me and I hate that I'm having to miss a lot of my daughter's upbringing. If I could go back ten years I might have tried something different.
    Like I told him yesterday, I hope like hell it works for him. But, he needs to have a backup plan and he shouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work. Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

asshat sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum sawbonz Shaggy Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Vine View Post
    I see the exact opposite. I have students making 30's on multiple choice tests who either think they're going to be OK or expect me to offer them extra credit or forgive/forget the grade.
    Ugh. Dealing with this w my 6th grader right now. She has ONE teacher who doesn't do this. Got a 70 on a test. To be fair, most of her classmates got 30's and 40's, but still it was a 70. I said you have got to do better. But DAD, "Mrs Smith doesn't tell us what we need to study to be ready for the test." Um how about everything she said in class for the last week plus the reading material she assigned for the topic? JFC and this is a talented and gifted magnet program.
    Last edited by sawbonz; 10-22-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sawbonz View Post
    Ugh. Dealing with this w my 6th grader right now. She has ONE teacher who doesn't do this. Got a 70 on a test. To be fair, most of her classmates got 30's and 40's, but still it was a 70. I said you have got to do better. But DAD, "Mrs Smith doesn't tell us what we need to study to be ready for the test." Um how about everything she said in class for the last week plus the reading material she assigned for the topic? JFC and this is a talented and gifted magnet program.

She sounds like every kid whose ever bombed a test and will pull whatever they can out of the air to justify the screw up.. She'll be juuuuust fine fine.

I'm just pissed that the 23 year olds are figuring out at a young age what I didn't figure out until I was 57. I'm so sick of the travel, long hours, 7pm con calls, etc etc.....April 2018 can't get here fast enough.

asshat Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek Shaggy Gold Club Nivek's Avatar
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a life and work in balance. But one is not going to rise to the top of the ladder putting in the minimum hours. Being realistic with goals is important.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by homercles View Post
    they don't see why the googles of the world have lush offices, free beer, and 'engaged cultures'. It's because they want you to live there when it's necessary
    fify

I need to qualify that somewhat. It wasn't 60+ hours a week by any means. I meant that he came in early (when needed), worked late (when needed) and worked weekends (when needed). That was sporadic at best. He worked 40-45 hours per week. We do service work, so some of our projects happen off business hours. But, when you come in at 5 AM, you go home at 2 PM. And if you work a half day on Saturday, you take a half day off the following week. He knew that coming in and was totally fine with it. And, a big chunk of what he was doing was by his own initiative. Sending emails to clients at night, etc. I meant that he didn't meet the stereotypical "millennial" schedule of showing up to work at 9:30 and wanting to leave at 4:00.
    Well, that makes sense, and certainly sounds a lot better than...

It wasn't about pay. It wasn't about upward mobility. It was about working less and having more free time.........He has a different work / life balance in mind. That's OK, but it doesn't work with my company. I want hard workers that contribute to the company.
    Your most recent post makes me think you probably already realized this, but this story sounds like a lot more like you being disappointed in losing a young employee that you liked and was a valuable asset to your company, as opposed to some fitting illustration of the work ethic of an entire generation.

go Gowdy !!!!!!! Hillary a lying bitch. Yep 90% were on my state do. Server. Oh no. I don't even know what you were asking for Mr. Gowdy.

Your most recent post makes me think you probably already realized this, but this story sounds like a lot more like you being disappointed in losing a young employee that you liked and was a valuable asset to your company, as opposed to some fitting illustration of the work ethic of an entire generation.
    It can be both, justifiably. Basically, it's one thing to realize you want an easier life and value other things. It's another to be arrogant enough to think you can have both a 40 hour work week and own a couple businesses or move up within one etc. Yes, I see many of you lamenting having worked so much etc. and you have good reasoning but you wouldn't expect to have your cake and eat it too either. Millennials do.

Banned evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club evilseven Shaggy Bronze Club
    Mitch, just curious, what did you pay this guy? Pm if you want.

asshat BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White Shaggy Platinum BurntOrange&White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    I'm just pissed that the 23 year olds are figuring out at a young age what I didn't figure out until I was 57. I'm so sick of the travel, long hours, 7pm con calls, etc etc.....April 2018 can't get here fast enough.
    Thats a bingo....jealousy from older generations that it took them a lifetime to figure out what millenials already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
    There is nothing wrong with wanting a life and work in balance. But one is not going to rise to the top of the ladder putting in the minimum hours. Being realistic with goals is important.
    That's exactly it. Boomers killed themselves for years to get to the top. Gen X is happy doing a reasonable workload and not rising to the top. Millennials think they belong at the top the first day on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by BurntOrange&White View Post
    Thats a bingo....jealousy from older generations that it took them a lifetime to figure out what millenials already have.
    Yeah, I don't think that's what's going on at all. It's more a sense of entitlement that's evident in many , not all, but many millennials. Starting salaries today are 2-3 times what they were 25 years ago for kids coming directly out of college. And kids wonder why college is costing so much..

Sounds like you had a great employee who was suffering from burnout and was too young to see that "this too shall pass".

Imo, you missed a great opportunity to help this guy out: mentor him, cut him some slack, build him up.

To "not even remotely try to talk him out of it"? Not sure that was the correct tactic.

asshat Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado's Avatar
    On a has-been planet orbited by a cold, indifferent sun
    Yeah, I don't think that's what's going on at all. It's more a sense of entitlement that's evident in many , not all, but many millennials. Starting salaries today are 2-3 times what they were 25 years ago for kids coming directly out of college. And kids wonder why college is costing so much..
    I'm not sure I 100% agree with your police work there, Lou.

Median income has levelled off and not kept pace with inflation.

College tuition has bubbled far faster than housing, inflation, or wage indexes, so starting salaries are one of the few things that are set approx where they were a generation adult with regards to inflation.

So a generation X or baby boomer manager is amazed that a new hire is making 50k or more straight out of school when they hired on at 25 or 30k. They'll also tell you how they bagged groceries for $3/hr 15hrs/wk and paid for their own school. Meanwhile millennial with a good degree ($100k art history majors don't count) owes more than gen x or baby boomers did on their first home at 22-23yo. Most of these kids weren't alive or near voting age when the policies that ballooned the housing and college loan markets, but they are the ones paying for it.

Can we talk about having two MitchCumsteens on here? This is unseemly.

asshat sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club sidis Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by PilotsError View Post
    Can we talk about having two MitchCumsteens on here? This is unseemly.
    agreed. i was just about to light in to him about his sanctimonious positions on personal financial responsibility when he has demonstrated his inability to control or even get a handle on his own wife's bat$#@! insane spending habits. wasted a solid 180 seconds writing that out before i realized it wasn't him.

One also didn't need $50K in student loans to get the degree now required for those salaries, housing was cheap, and mortgages were handed out like candy. I see flaws in every generation, including the millenials, but it drives me crazy to see olds getting in a huff about "millenial morons" while ignoring the problems with their own generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Llano Estacado View Post
    I'm not sure I 100% agree with your police work there, Lou.

Median income has levelled off and not kept pace with inflation.

College tuition has bubbled far faster than housing, inflation, or wage indexes, so starting salaries are one of the few things that are set approx where they were a generation adult with regards to inflation.

So a generation X or baby boomer manager is amazed that a new hire is making 50k or more straight out of school when they hired on at 25 or 30k. They'll also tell you how they bagged groceries for $3/hr 15hrs/wk and paid for their own school. Meanwhile millennial with a good degree ($100k art history majors don't count) owes more than gen x or baby boomers did on their first home at 22-23yo. Most of these kids weren't alive or near voting age when the policies that ballooned the housing and college loan markets, but they are the ones paying for it.
    Yeah I agree median income has leveled off for many.

The son has a computer engineering degree coming up in the spring. He was offered $80K by Capital one, but has a 4 year commission tied to the Air Force. He interned there this past summer. $1K signing bonus (after taxes) and they paid hime $15k for a 3 month stint. That's not a leveled of income in my opinion. Lots of my sons and daughters tell me about their starting salaries and many start at more the some people make after a 25 year career.
    Last edited by OnBoard; 10-23-2015 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete's Mustache View Post
    One also didn't need $50K in student loans to get the degree now required for those salaries, housing was cheap, and mortgages were handed out like candy. I see flaws in every generation, including the millenials, but it drives me crazy to see olds getting in a huff about "millenial morons" while ignoring the problems with their own generations.
    That's just it. Higher incomes, higher loan rates. Its inflation, but it's out of whack inflation. I don't get in a huff, but I do see a difference between them and older generations. I've stayed in touch with a couple HS teachers they both said independently kids today are smarter, more resources at their finger tips, but not as savvy or self sufficient. I saw that with my kids friends as a very general rule.

It is pretty amazing to hear new hires bitch about starting at $60K when they literally bring nothing to the table except a college degree.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast