+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Millennials are morons

asshat smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax Shaggy Platinum smax's Avatar

Millennials are morons

We hear about the superior tech savvy of people born after 1980 so often that we tend to assume it must be true. But is it?

Researchers at Princeton-based Educational Testing Service (ETS) expected it to be when they administered a test called the Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC). Sponsored by the OECD, the test was designed to measure the job skills of adults, aged 16 to 65, in 23 countries.

When the results were analyzed by age group and nationality, ETS got a shock. It turns out, says a new report, that Millennials in the U.S. fall short when it comes to the skills employers want most: literacy (including the ability to follow simple instructions), practical math, and — hold on to your hat — a category called “problem-solving in technology-rich environments.”

Not only do Gen Y Americans lag far behind their overseas peers by every measure, but they even score lower than other age groups of Americans.

Take literacy, for instance. American Millennials scored lower than their counterparts in every country that participated except Spain and Italy. (Japan is No. 1.) In numeracy, meaning the ability to apply basic math to everyday situations, Gen Yers in the U.S. ranked dead last.

Okay, but what about making smart use of technology, where Millennials are said to shine? Again, America scored at the bottom of the heap, in a four-way tie for last place with the Slovak Republic, Ireland, and Poland.

Even the best-educated Millennials stateside couldn’t compete with their counterparts in Japan, Finland, South Korea, Belgium, Sweden, or elsewhere. With a master’s degree, for example, Americans scored higher in numeracy than peers in just three countries: Ireland, Poland, and Spain. Altogether, the top U.S. Gen Yers, in the 90th percentile, “scored lower than their counterparts in 15 countries,” the report notes, “and only scored higher than their peers in Spain.”

“We really thought [U.S.] Millennials would do better than the general adult population, either compared to older coworkers in the U.S. or to the same age group in other countries,” says Madeline Goodman, an ETS researcher who worked on the study. “But they didn’t. In fact, their scores were abysmal.”

What does that mean for U.S. employers hiring people born since 1980? Goodman notes that hiring managers shouldn’t overestimate the practical value of a four-year degree. True, U.S. Millennials with college credentials did score higher on the PIAAC than Americans with only a high school diploma (albeit less well than college grads in most other countries).

“But a degree may not be enough,” Goodman says, to prove that someone is adept with basic English, can do what she calls “workaday math,” or has the ability to use technology in a job. Curious about how the PIAAC measures those skills, or how you’d score yourself? Check out a few sample math questions, or take the whole test.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/10/americ...least-skilled/

asshat js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum
    Problem solving?

Ugh, too hard. I give up.

checking out the sample questions seems to be a test unto itself. Got all three correct but it wasn't easy to find them

asshat Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins Probably Shaggy upper class Leeroy Jenkins's Avatar
    You mean someone isn't going to do it for me?

Well my mom says I'm smart

Reality is coming for them....

But how do all those other countries score at checking their privilege?

asshat Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes
    Their loosing to much time deciding weather the test is microaggressive or knot.

well,, it hard to say TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie's Avatar
    can we get a clarification on what exactly a "millennial" is?

I don't view 35 year olds as millenials, but I guess i'm a dumb millennial and can't do maths. pls advise

If you want to lose faith in people work at a welfare office or be a corporate recruiter.

I am a young person and I'm sure this is wrong but I think of millennials, the $#@!ty ones at least, as the ones who don't know a time before the internet.
    Last edited by iShag; 09-24-2015 at 05:47 PM.

asshat spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey's Avatar
    Problem-solving takes focus and determination to follow through to the end. Millennials require instantaneous results or they lose interest. Oh look, a hummingbird.

asshat Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Chips O'Toole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGangorDie View Post

I don't view 35 year olds as millenials, but I guess i'm a dumb millennial and can't do maths. pls advise
    Yeah, I always Gen Y, but it seems I just made the millenial cut.

Fortunately for me, I have an interview coming up to bring my mom to.

if pokemon was ever a thing with you or other kids in your grade in school, you're a millenial

Yeah, 1980 is pushing it. We were still playing Atari 2600 games (non-ironically, for $#@!s sake), and remember $#@! like the Soviets, real air raid sirens, losing in elementary school field days and not getting anything and making sure you won the next goddamn time, and Challenger blowing up. Or at least I do. My half sister grew up in the 90s and had some very different everyone is a winner type experiences growing up. Her friends are all really $#@!ing stupid.

E: Wiki says Pokemon started in 95, which would put people born in 80 in high school when was created. The nerds all played that Magic game still, I think, not Pokemon. What about Pogs? That was a thing when I was in middle school. Oh and also the vampire $#@!.
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; 09-24-2015 at 05:57 PM.

asshat BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory Shaggy Gold Club BaylorHistory's Avatar
    It's pretty impressive how bad all of our employees are at technology. I'm an accountant in a business with over 100 employees and I have to help out our IT department (1 PT overqualified baby boomer and another full time GenX manager from another department) from time to time due to the number of technology retarded employees we are paying. Simple things like writing down the url to their email that they've been using for 10 years, logging in to remote computes/servers, running programs in compatibility mode, etc...

The sad part is that of our 100 employees ~50 are millennials who are only slightly better than their baby boomer counterparts with technology. We $#@!ing grew up on this $#@!! It shouldn't be hard to remember that you can't use Internet Explorer to use our archiving software after you were told last week that it doesn't work.

Oh well more money to be made for those who know or are willing to learn.

Edit: And graduating from college is a joke these days. I have a buddy who is a coach in small town Texas and they had to bring in a ringer to teach his junior high science course because he couldn't understand it.
    Last edited by BaylorHistory; 09-24-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadBurgerMaker View Post
    Yeah, 1980 is pushing it. We were still playing Atari 2600 games (non-ironically, for $#@!s sake), and remember $#@! like the Soviets, real air raid sirens, and Challenger blowing up. Or at least I do. My half sister grew up in the 90s and had some very different everyone is a winner type experiences growing up. Her friends are all really $#@!ing stupid.

E: Wiki says Pokemon started in 95, which would put people born in 80 in high school. The nerds all played that Magic game, I think, not Pokemon. What about Pogs? That was a thing when I was in school.
    there's not much in the way of pog memes on the internet, but there's a $#@!-ton of pokemon memes. so i go with pokemon as a shared cultural experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BaylorHistory View Post
    It's pretty impressive how bad all of our employees are at technology. I'm an accountant in a business with over 100 employees and I have to help out our IT department (1 PT overqualified baby boomer and another full time GenX manager from another department) from time to time due to the number of technology retarded employees we are paying. Simple things like writing down the url to their email that they've been using for 10 years, logging in to remote computes/servers, running programs in compatibility mode, etc...

The sad part is that of our 100 employees ~50 are millennials who are only slightly better than their baby boomer counterparts with technology. We $#@!ing grew up on this $#@!! It shouldn't be hard to remember that you can't use Internet Explorer to use our archiving software after you were told last week that it doesn't work.

i was amazed by a 1 year younger coworker who didn't know how to burn a CD (he'd be 35 now). not the first clue. i asked him how he made mixes for the car in college. he replied that he didn't.
    Last edited by elfenix; 09-24-2015 at 05:59 PM.

That $#@! is apparently still pretty popular. Every once in a while, especially in places with large communities like Something Awful, you'll see some grown ass late 20's adult talking about Pokemon in a serious way.

well,, it hard to say TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elfenix View Post
    if pokemon was ever a thing with you or other kids in your grade in school, you're a millenial
    oh I know I would be considered a millennial, even though I never was into pokemon. I asked the question in a sarcastic way, but i'm genuinely curious as to when people consider the "millennial" generation to begin.

I personally would put the cutoff around '87 or '88.

asshat utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club
    I work at a very large computer manufacturing firm headquartered in Round Rock, and almost all of the millenials I encounter that work for us, are very bright, and very motivated. But I have friends and relatives that work for smaller companies, and the millenials they work with really seem to fit the stereotype.

Most of them at my workplace have Tech/Engineering degrees and many also have advanced business degrees, so I'd guess that I'm seeing the "high end" of millenials, but to me it's at least somewhat encouraging that those at the high end aren't a bunch of air-headed quitters. Also, having been a hiring manager, not one of them ever brought their parents to an interview, so kudos to them.

I'll say this, it's a good time to be a millennial because your competition is a gaggle of $#@!ing idiots.

oh I know I would be considered a millennial, even though I never was into pokemon. I asked the question in a sarcastic way, but i'm genuinely curious as to when people consider the "millennial" generation to begin.

I personally would put the cutoff around '87 or '88.
    X definitely didn't extend that far. most demographers put the crossover in the early 80s, between 81 and 84.

asshat utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club utee94 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by iShag View Post
    I'll say this, it's a good time to be a millennial because your competition is a gaggle of $#@!ing idiots.
    I tell this to my 20-something nephews regularly.

Unfortunately, they're part of the gaggle of idiots. They consider themselves part of the "creative class" simply because they struggle holding down any kind of job at all.

Quote Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
    I tell this to my 20-something nephews regularly.

Unfortunately, they're part of the gaggle of idiots. They consider themselves part of the "creative class" simply because they struggle holding down any kind of job at all.
    Sounds like all of my cousins. I'm the only one that didn't pursue an art field.

It's honestly just difficult to even talk to them.

So the generations that have run up $17-18B in debt are lecturing us about practical math and problem-solving?

If anything were just following your example and saying $#@! IT, PUT IT ON THE CARD

asshat HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca Shaggy Silver Club HornsOverIthaca's Avatar
    Technology classes and/or computer science need to be required in high school.

asshat Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al Shaggy Silver Club Longhorn Al's Avatar
    tl;dr

Sincerely,
    An older millennial

Quote Originally Posted by elfenix View Post
    X definitely didn't extend that far. most demographers put the crossover in the early 80s, between 81 and 84.
    Yea the cutoff is normally 80/81 with the back end somwhere between 95 and 2001 pending on how you want to use 9-11 as a culture shift. 95-School aged on 9-11 or 2001 being born before it.
    Last edited by SilentJay; 09-24-2015 at 07:14 PM.

asshat capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81's Avatar
    Yeah, I am 34 but I have never thought that of myself as a millennial.

asshat BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BrazilHorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Be curious also to see % of millennials on some type of legal drug (ADHD, anti-depressant etc)

Edit: And graduating from college is a joke these days. I have a buddy who is a coach in small town Texas and they had to bring in a ringer to teach his junior high science course because he couldn't understand it.
    What millennials use Internet Explorer?

asshat Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Problem solving?

Ugh, too hard. I give up.

To be fair, they weren't told exactly what they were going to be tested on.

We're interviewing for a faculty position in a couple of weeks. One of the main questions I am going to ask is, "How do you prepare your students for a test?" Anyone who says, "I don't; that's their job" is going to get a gold star.

asshat Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine probably preboards planes Beau Vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
    I work at a very large computer manufacturing firm headquartered in Round Rock, and almost all of the millenials I encounter that work for us, are very bright, and very motivated. But I have friends and relatives that work for smaller companies, and the millenials they work with really seem to fit the stereotype.

Most of them at my workplace have Tech/Engineering degrees and many also have advanced business degrees, so I'd guess that I'm seeing the "high end" of millenials, but to me it's at least somewhat encouraging that those at the high end aren't a bunch of air-headed quitters. Also, having been a hiring manager, not one of them ever brought their parents to an interview, so kudos to them.

Exactly. My best students are awesome. It's that below-50th-percentile that has REAAAAAAAAALLY deteriorated. The not-real-bright-but-works-hard group is approaching extinction.

I have a millennial who works for me. She's highly intelligent and very well-educated. I can show her a complex, multistep procedure, and she gets it the first time. Will do it perfectly thereafter. However, she absolutely CANNOT apply critical thinking, work independently, or problem solve. She asks me 80,000 questions a day and is petrified if I say something like "I'm busy; can you figure out a solution?" I have to say things like "before you come ask me a question, write down the 3 things you've done to solve the problem first". A good part of it is that she's laaaaazy as fuuuuck. 90% of her questions could be answered by the goddamned googles. Why would she figure $#@! out when I can just do it for her?

I don't give a $#@! if she's "smart".Being so $#@!ing hand-held and hovered over her whole life kills her value as an employee. She's 24.

Parents: STOP $#@!ING BABYING YOUR KIDS. You're ruining them.

oldfart Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat probably preboards planes Armybrat's Avatar
    So that Master's in Gender Studies ain't working out so well for some of the young'uns?

asshat MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm Shaggy Platinum MrPhlegm's Avatar

Well this it ignorance hasnt changed since '69 when I first started working with computers. Some of us understand it but most people are stupid $#@!s so this millenial dumbfuckery IS NOTHING NEW.

I remember in 72 taking stat310 to get an easy a to bring my gpa up and walking into the computer room in the beb to run my deck and having to put a slack jawed moron look on my face to hand my deck to the operator because if you looked like you knew what all this computer $#@! was about you would be besiged with all these business cretins taking management, marketing, accounting and other boring drone $#@! asking for help because they were too $#@!ing stupid to comprehend this computer stuff.

Ps i got an A in stat310 because i kept correcting the idoit teacher in class because he did not have a grasp of what he was teaching ie utterly $#@!ing clueless and the said he would give me an A if i didnt come back to class.

And all through my career I have had to deal with these types.

There aint nuthin new under the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Vine View Post
    Exactly. My best students are awesome. It's that below-50th-percentile that has REAAAAAAAAALLY deteriorated. The not-real-bright-but-works-hard group is approaching extinction.
    This is what Murray basically said about US society generally in Tahoe's "Our Kids" post. It was in connection with poverty and the underclass, but it is precisely the same sentiment, backed by sociological data.

asshat 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat Shaggy Silver Club 88wildcat's Avatar
    I've worked in retail electronics some. At least 85% of the questions I have been asked were answered simply by reading the box of whatever it is someone is asking about.

asshat MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP has a gigantic e-peen. MillerEP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iShag View Post
    Heh, this is how I view it every time I see people $#@!ting all over us. I just applied for Grad School, so I'm expecting this $#@! to finally pay off for me big in a few more years when the baby boomers stop leeching off the system and my competition is a bunch of mouth breathers. I was born in 1981, so supposedly I'm a Millennial.

bunghole Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses Facemask grows his own roses
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau Vine View Post
    I can vouch they are extinct. They can also fall back on welfare instantaneously. I say F them all.

born in 82. i'm not a millenial. and those sample question... are they serious? my wife's 3rd graders answer questions harder than that on their STAR tests.

asshat C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man Shaggy Gold Club C-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chips O'Toole View Post
    Yeah, I always Gen Y, but it seems I just made the millenial cut.

Fortunately for me, I have an interview coming up to bring my mom to.
    Gen Y and Millenial are one and the same. Unless I'm reading your comment wrong.

Went through a seminar at Chubb earlier in the year and we talked about selling to women and Millenials. The guy that "changed" Gen Y to Millenials says it's from 1980 on. But those of you born in 80, 81 and 82 are going to be way less typical "Millenial" than those born in 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by cesprink View Post
    So the generations that have run up $17-18B in debt are lecturing us about practical math and problem-solving?

If anything were just following your example and saying $#@! IT, PUT IT ON THE CARD
    You guys get a vote. Who is dumber at math- the guys handing you the debt, or you agreeing to take it?

asshat Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze has a gigantic e-peen. Doze's Avatar
    I blame it on peanut allergies, vaccinations, orange slices, & juice boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Man View Post
    Gen Y and Millenial are one and the same. Unless I'm reading your comment wrong.

Went through a seminar at Chubb earlier in the year and we talked about selling to women and Millenials. The guy that "changed" Gen Y to Millenials says it's from 1980 on. But those of you born in 80, 81 and 82 are going to be way less typical "Millenial" than those born in 1992.
    That's why I think there should actually be a distinction between GenY and Millienials. It was originally called GenY simply because they wanted a label for the people that came after GenX. But the stereotypical millennial isn't the same as an early GenYer. Which is precisely why the people on this thread that were born in 81, 82 are objecting to being classified as millenials.

asshat Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado's Avatar
    On a has-been planet orbited by a cold, indifferent sun
    I've posted it before in other millennial threads, but I think they era of 20yr peer groups for demographers is over. Technology changes the way we live too quickly now and it blurs the generational lines. Sure the biggest events will still have some cohesion, (were you at work or middle school for Pearl Harbor, JFK Assassination, or 9/11, etc) but other than that a child born in the early 80s has little in common with a child born in the early 00s. You need a small Gen Y at the early 80s.

1776 to 1861 (100 years pretty much one peer group)
    1861 to 1917 (65 years pretty much one peer group)
    1917 to 1946 - 30 years
    1946 to 1964ish - 20ish years
    1964ish to 1980ish - 15ish years
    1980ish to 2000ish (some went to the mall to shop with paper money, watched 4 OTA tv channels growing up, had to plan ahead of time and used paper maps, others will rarely use paper anything, will never know what it is like to be lost, and can communicate with almost anyone on the planet instantly at any time, last few years will probably have self driving electric cars on the road when they turn 16.)
    Last edited by Llano Estacado; 09-26-2015 at 09:28 AM.

asshat In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club
    Coddled babies who weren't pushed to achieve anything growing up and were allowed to quit at the first sign of adversity + hip hop "street" culture/reality TV insanity permeating America making education "uncool" = No $#@!ing $#@! these kids are dumb $#@!s.

asshat In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club In10se Shaggy Silver Club
    I mean $#@!, college football players these days are so $#@!ing stupid they can't even run a semi complicated offense. They had to invent dumbed down spread stuff with a one page playbook and no reads. Now all the players look to the sidelines like morons for their coach to spoon feed them checks at the line.

Might as well be a locker room full of Dax Shepherds.

asshat the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? the immortal Elvis Presto's Avatar
    I would've missed the sample question about converting to celsius bc i only know how to do the double and add 32. But I live in gat dang Murrica and don't need no celsius thermometer!

I do have a millenial that works for me and she is smart and gets her work done. I barely have to check up on her at all bc she's proactive and does things before I even have to ask her. The bad news is she's like a damn unicorn and she's in grad school so will be leaving me soon.
    Last edited by the immortal Elvis Presto; 09-26-2015 at 10:06 AM.

asshat OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard Shaggy Platinum OnBoard's Avatar
    Where the high water mark of the 60's crashed ashore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post
    I have a millennial who works for me. She's highly intelligent and very well-educated. I can show her a complex, multistep procedure, and she gets it the first time. Will do it perfectly thereafter. However, she absolutely CANNOT apply critical thinking, work independently, or problem solve. She asks me 80,000 questions a day and is petrified if I say something like "I'm busy; can you figure out a solution?" I have to say things like "before you come ask me a question, write down the 3 things you've done to solve the problem first". A good part of it is that she's laaaaazy as fuuuuck. 90% of her questions could be answered by the goddamned googles. Why would she figure $#@! out when I can just do it for her?

I don't give a $#@! if she's "smart".Being so $#@!ing hand-held and hovered over her whole life kills her value as an employee. She's 24.

I remember going back to visit some of my HS teachers. A couple said the kids were academically smarter, but much less savvy and independent in thought. They were so scared to make a wrong decision it would cripple them. Helicopter moms I tell ya.

asshat RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft has a gigantic e-peen. RollLeft's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruffian View Post

Yes.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast