+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance........WTF!

NAACP National Champ Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by next2naus View Post
    YMMV

I have Aetna PPO and it $#@!ing rocks. HD plan that pays 90%.
    The HD plan is the only one that doesn't cost a $#@!load... it's clear that's where they want to steer everyone. i didn't opt for it for 2016, but for 2017, i probably will.

NAACP National Champ Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks probably preboards planes Snacks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    1. Gee, funny how that "new" health care, which was supposed to reduce premium costs, hasn't.
    2. Now throw in the chart with the average family deductible. Or at least a good article.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...922-story.html

Let me quote just one goodie from it:

But I suppose there are still people that actually think that OP's complaint is just bad luck. Yeah, that's it. Bad luck.
    it looks like the year to year premium cost increases are decreasing, so maybe it's working?

asshat bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasEd View Post
    Exactly what I've been saying.

Take the prepaid services out of it and make it "Insurance" again instead of prepaid medical.
    Totally agree

asshat sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellraiser97 View Post
    It's not a complete scam because they've paid a $#@! load of small claims to go with the occasional late claim. Regardless, the point of insurance isn't that you make money on the deal, it's that you transfer risk.

I've had a few accidents over the years but I've definitely paid more in premiums that was paid on my behalf or to me. But having insurance is still a good idea regardless of the law because if I hit someone and I'm heals liable for a $#@! load of money, I'm covered.

It's amazing to me when otherwise smart people are so $#@!ing ignorant when it comes to risk.

And since you mention my parents, well they've both had $#@!ing cancer and the insurance companies spent a metric $#@!ing ton of money on their treatment. That kind of hit would have destroyed their savings.

So your parents pre-paid over 50+ years for their actual needs. There are much more efficient ways of dealing with that. There may be no more inefficient way than what has evolved here.

The risk is way overstated when they calculate the premiums. As ed mentioned, they should quit calling it insurance. If the price of your homeowners insurance or life insurance were calculated the way health premiums are, no one would purchase either of them.

asshat sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class sawbonz Probably Shaggy upper class
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
    It's not really an apples to apples comparison because california plans will depend on that locale's pool's collective risk assessment. the bottom line is that texas turned down money that it otherwise would not have had to cover, by opting out of the medicaid expansion.

I do agree that nationwide insurance companies are doing everything they can to $#@! everyone in the ass, but if you're on the open market for new plans (like OP) then you're much better off in states that opted in than in Texas.
    This is absolutely not true unless you are poor enough to qualify for the expanded medicaid coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Snacks View Post
    it looks like the year to year premium cost increases are decreasing, so maybe it's working?
    That like when the govt says they are cutting spending by not increasing spending as much as they wanted?

asshat Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis's Avatar
    Insurance premiums are in line with consumers expectations. Consumers want access to the latest and greatest care. Oh, that new large molecule biologic to treat whatever condition nobody has heard about. Yeah, that's 60k a year. I want that. That new drug that cures hepatitis C. It costs 100k per treatment course. I want that. That complex imaging procedure that gets billed at $2k. I want that, $#@! an xray. Oh yeah, but I only want to pay $100 a month for my premium. And omg a $6000 deductible, oh noes.

The system is $#@!ed, but insurers only play one part of the problem. Consumers, biotech, facilities, and providers all have their role to play in accounting for why insurance costs what it does.

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sawbonz View Post
    So your parents pre-paid over 50+ years for their actual needs. There are much more efficient ways of dealing with that. There may be no more inefficient way than what has evolved here.

The risk is way overstated when they calculate the premiums. As ed mentioned, they should quit calling it insurance. If the price of your homeowners insurance or life insurance were calculated the way health premiums are, no one would purchase either of them.
    I agree it's no longer insurance in the truest sense. And no there are not more efficient ways of dealing with risk than insurance though our system needs a lot of work for sure. You're not being rational either. Sure, after 40 years of paying in the system if they had saved that money and invested it they would have come out ahead, but what if they got cancer at 25?

Hell at 25 i didn't have the cash, insurance or not, cover my hospital bill from last year.

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction's Avatar
    One good thing about being a gubment employee with 0 family is I dont pay $#@! other than my $25 copay which covers any and everything that happens during the visit. Blood draws, x-rays, handies from the nurses...

I agree it's no longer insurance in the truest sense. And no there are not more efficient ways of dealing with risk than insurance though our system needs a lot of work for sure. You're not being rational either. Sure, after 40 years of paying in the system if they had saved that money and invested it they would have come out ahead, but what if they got cancer at 25?

Hell at 25 i didn't have the cash, insurance or not, cover my hospital bill from last year.
    The point I and others are making is that the premium isn't just a hedge against the very unlikely chance you will have a large outlay for medical care. At 30, I got a 20 year term life insurance policy for 1M for $35 per month. The likelihood of my needing to spend 1M in personal healthcare over the same interval is higher than my dying, but not high enough to justify $350 per month plus $5000 per year to protect myself from the possibility. Assuming I am single and I could get that 350 premium locked in for 20 years, I would be spending $84,000 for premiums plus $100,000 out of pocket to get access to that million dollars of coverage. That is a horrible deal for all but the carriers and a minuscule amount of people with severe medical issues.

asshat Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis's Avatar
    That is a horrible deal for all but the carriers and a minuscule amount of people with severe medical issues.
    By 2020, 2% of health plan members will account for 50% of total drug spend; right now ~5% account for ~50% of medical spend. Most of us are subsidizing healthcare for the extreme outliers. And it's only getting worse.

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction's Avatar
    I say we start euthanizing people who are over 65 and will never leave the hospital again.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    By 2020, 2% of health plan members will account for 50% of total drug spend; right now ~5% account for ~50% of medical spend. Most of us are subsidizing healthcare for the extreme outliers. And it's only getting worse.
    And part D specifically precludes CMS from negotiating deals for discounts from pharma.

Cornin' the duckhole markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco Shaggy Platinum markstanco's Avatar
    Those that are angry with hospital fees and health insurance, you need to get angry with about 70-80 other industries before you get mad at them. The last thing they are doing, compared to other industries, is printing money.

https://biz.yahoo.com/p/sum_qpmd.html

Quote Originally Posted by MissingInAction View Post
    I say we start euthanizing people who are over 65 and will never leave the hospital again.
    Not this but dialysis for people with end stage dementia, etc should be denied. There is a laundry list of futile end of life care that is common only in our country and really skews the "quality per unit cost" that bc likes to crow about. Take futile end of life care and heroic neonatal care out of the equation and I suspect we would jump to near the top. No other countries do those things

Quote Originally Posted by markstanco View Post
    Those that are angry with hospital fees and health insurance, you need to get angry with about 70-80 other industries before you get mad at them. The last thing they are doing, compared to other industries, is printing money.

https://biz.yahoo.com/p/sum_qpmd.html
    Many if not most of the big hospitals are not for profit (whatever that means), but the biggest for profit hospital in my area tends to fire the CEO if profits fall below 30% for long. Insurance companies by law have to return net receipts greater than a certain percentage of expenditures, but again I'm sure they pay their accountants quite a bit to minimize that amount

Duke of New York (Exiled) Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97 Shaggy Silver Club Hellraiser97's Avatar
    The point I and others are making is that the premium isn't just a hedge against the very unlikely chance you will have a large outlay for medical care. At 30, I got a 20 year term life insurance policy for 1M for $35 per month. The likelihood of my needing to spend 1M in personal healthcare over the same interval is higher than my dying, but not high enough to justify $350 per month plus $5000 per year to protect myself from the possibility. Assuming I am single and I could get that 350 premium locked in for 20 years, I would be spending $84,000 for premiums plus $100,000 out of pocket to get access to that million dollars of coverage. That is a horrible deal for all but the carriers and a minuscule amount of people with severe medical issues.
    Its not a horrible deal at all. I have no problem with only having catastrophic care insurance as an option, but for full coverage, given the cost of healthcare, its not a horrible deal at all. You would pay as much or more if you had to pay all of that out of pocket, especially since you wouldn't get as good pricing as you get when you have insurance.

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt's Avatar

everyone is all for death panels until it's their friend / relative / pet that needs to go

Quote Originally Posted by tx 3 putt View Post

everyone is all for death panels until it's their friend / relative / pet that needs to go
    I don't know. I have quite a few relatives that I'd pull the plug on if they got a hang nail.

Its not a horrible deal at all. I have no problem with only having catastrophic care insurance as an option, but for full coverage, given the cost of healthcare, its not a horrible deal at all. You would pay as much or more if you had to pay all of that out of pocket, especially since you wouldn't get as good pricing as you get when you have insurance.
    You can almost always get a better cash price than you can get with insurance. You have to shop around, and it won't go toward your deductible the way the system is set up, but the discounts are there except for emergency care. I'm done arguing this, if you are happy with your situation good for you.

You can almost always get a better cash price than you can get with insurance.
    Yeah, maybe after fighting with them for a few months. One of the main problems with our current system is that those without insurance get screwed by higher pricing.

You have to shop around, and it won't go toward your deductible the way the system is set up, but the discounts are there except for emergency care. I'm done arguing this, if you are happy with your situation good for you.
    I get it, as a doctor you hate insurance because the bureaucracy of has made your life miserable. I don't blame you, but stick to what you know. Finance and risk obviously isn't it. I don't love my insurance, its a pain in the ass, but I'm smart enough to realize how much more miserable my life would be if I were un-insured in this country.
    Last edited by Hellraiser97; 10-30-2015 at 04:16 PM.

asshat Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles's Avatar

Health Insurance........WTF!

Any thoughts on a ppo800 vs fsa that gives $1500 in seed money?

asshat hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hopkinsnhorns's Avatar
    I've told this story before, likely here on the shag, but I'll say it again. According to my micro-econ professor in undergrad, health insurance (the way it is used in America now) is the most economically irrational system in this country.

Here was his simplistic, thought experiment:
    Think back to a time before health insurance (i.e. before FDR's confiscatory tax rates on the top income earners drove companies to provide other incentives, like health insurance, to keep or attract top candidates). We had a pool of doctors providing service (supply) and a pool of citizens who would occasional require medical care (demand). Since there was a limit on the supply of doctors, prices were set to a point that would deter the average citizen from seeing a physician for a trivial issue (head cold, broken toe, chicken pox, etc.), but not so high as to prevent people from seeking care for services which require medical attention (broken arm, polio, pneumonia, etc.). Sure, there was a cost to the patients, but it wasn't likely to drive someone to bankruptcy or any other major financial stress. In the rare instances that it was something big (cancer, for instance), communities would pool resources through local fundraisers to offset the burden on the patients (as is often still the case in rural neighborhoods when someone falls on hard times without a safety net). Now, add in health insurance (as used today - i.e. co-pays/cost offsets for all services). Before, a regular visit might have cost a couple dollars (not a lot, but enough to prevent you from visiting the doctor needlessly). After the advent of insurance, people with coverage can go see the doctor, and it might only cost them a $1 co-pay, making it more accessible for even minor conditions. Being good consumers, those with insurance took advantage of their plans and began seeing the doctor more often. This increased the demand for physicians, without increasing the supply of care providers. Thus, to balance the equation, doctors raised their rates, with uninsured visits going up (say $4/visit), and insured paying a slightly higher copay (say $1.25). The supply would re-balance, but the rate of visits increased by the insured (Bobby's got a fever - get in the car; we're off to see the doctor) while decreasing for the uninsured (we'll just set Timmy's broken arm ourselves and put him in a sling). As more and more people started getting insurance, the same process occurred until all of a sudden, people with insurance were paying as much for their copay as they were previous to the widespread access to health insurance and people without insurance faced irrationally high costs for even simple care. This doesn't even take into consideration the ancillary costs of maintaining massive bureaucracies between patients and care providers, or the inherent economic madness that occurs when price is effectively removed from consumer/patient choice. The end result is the bumblefuckery of a system we have, which is about as far away from a free-market solution as could possibly be.

Point of the matter is, insurance is something you buy with the hope/intent that you never have to use it (say term life insurance, auto collision insurance, etc). Insurance as an economic tool is not sustainable when people purchase it with the intent to use it. This is why there could not be guaranteed coverage for those with pre-existing conditions without the individual mandate. Otherwise people could purposefully avoid buying health insurance while they were healthy until they knew that they were ill and would require medical attention, then run out and buy a plan and immediately make a claim on it. If we truly want to bring down costs and drive efficiencies, we need to scrap our current system, return back to a true disastrous care insurance model (similar to the term life plans offered), and enforce pricing transparency, so that people can shop their care providers for basic services. If great grand-ma has dementia, a failing heart, and is bed-bound, her power of attorney might not be so inclined to spend the $40k necessary to replace her arthritic hip or keep her on life support for weeks after that next stroke. These are not easy decisions, but by purposefully avoiding the economic aspect of such highly emotional situations, the whole system suffers the consequences of un-affordable care for the mostly healthy.

asshat Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles's Avatar
    Well leaches were also a lot cheaper then too

asshat ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    Move to a country where overall care is better and more cost effective, for example virtually any other first world country.
    ummm, no.

asshat ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets's Avatar
    I'm looking forward to having to pay income tax on my employer-provided healthcare. That will be fun.

asshat bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova Shaggy Gold Club bozo_casanova's Avatar

No. It is a horrible deal.

First- why would you pay a middleman to handle claims on regular, predictable expenses? That's like having haircut insurance, or paying for oil changes with your car insurance.

Second- why would you pay more out of pocket? Because of the "discount" you get through the carriers? That's the biggest joke since "student athlete".

Third- I get the value of insuring people fully who can't pay out of pocket for even routine expenses but those people are less common than you think and long term that puts people into a long term pattern of unsound financial behavior.

Insurance is great, when it's insurance. When it's used for routine care and you don't have visibility to the price at the point of sale is where demand distortions happen.
    Last edited by bozo_casanova; 10-31-2015 at 04:54 AM.

$#@! Health Insurance and the new laws. Infuriating.

I have a job with great health insurance. Can't stand the job and want to do my own thing.

Checked into insurance the other day and it was $350 for the most basic low-end plan. Same plan is now $450 a month.

Wasn't but a few years ago I paid $40 a month for catastrophic insurance.

asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    Comparing life and health insurance makes no sense. One event is extremely unlikely, and can only occur once. Medical needs are basically a 100% necessity in the same 20 yr period that can occur again and again and again. Sure there are people that never visit the doctor but that end up costing more in the long run.

I hate paying those medical insurance premiums, co pays, deductibles and bills too. But the problem is the cost of healthcare not the profit of insurance companies. But at the end of the day the insurance costs are going to be as high as they can demand from the public. Healthcare providers and insurance companies will split the money.

790 premium /month
    12000$ deductible

Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    Comparing life and health insurance makes no sense. One event is extremely unlikely, and can only occur once. Medical needs are basically a 100% necessity in the same 20 yr period that can occur again and again and again. Sure there are people that never visit the doctor but that end up costing more in the long run.

I hate paying those medical insurance premiums, co pays, deductibles and bills too. But the problem is the cost of healthcare not the profit of insurance companies. But at the end of the day the insurance costs are going to be as high as they can demand from the public. Healthcare providers and insurance companies will split the money.

Look at the math. There is no way on a individual basis you are likely to come close to spending in 20 years what your premiums plus deductible cost you. In that sense it is absolutely just like life insurance (or should be). It should protect you from large unexpected outlays like cancer or major trauma. But as others have pointed out we use it for everything. It would be like calling Allstate when your gutters need cleaning, or geico when you get your oil changed

Edit and it sure as hell makes it easier to demand higher premiums when people are required by law to purchase your product, you are protected from out of state competition, and federal law prohibits consumers from choosing catastrophic coverage
    Last edited by sawbonz; 11-01-2015 at 03:30 PM.

But as others have pointed out we use it for everything. It would be like calling Allstate when your gutters need cleaning, or geico when you get your oil changed
    Except in our system, getting an oil change would cost $2000 and you'd have separate bills from the guy changing the oil and the shop where you got it changed, while paying $600 for oil, even though it only cost the mechanic $30 to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviledegg View Post
    Except in our system, getting an oil change would cost $2000 and you'd have separate bills from the guy changing the oil and the shop where you got it changed, while paying $600 for oil, even though it only cost the mechanic $30 to buy.
    zackley

...it sure as hell makes it easier to demand higher premiums when people are required by law to purchase your product, you are protected from out of state competition, and federal law prohibits consumers from choosing catastrophic coverage
    or when you're a middle-aged man required to buy insurance against hysterectomies, pregnancy and mental health.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Open enrollment period at work...

Good news is the 2016 plans are the same as the 2015 ones (no price increase).

Anyone have a good calculator to see what's the best deal for us?

Currently I have:
    Blue Shield PPO 500 for $740/month . Covers the whole family (me + wife + kid)
    Deductible: $500 individual / $1000 family
    Max out of pocket: $3,500 individual / $7,000 family
    Office visits: $25 copay
    Hospitals/Surgeries/etc: 90% after deductible
    Prescriptions: $10

Not sure if it's worth it going to a cheaper plan?
    Blue Shield PPO 700 for $660/month .
    Deductible: $700 individual / $1,400 family
    Max out of pocket: $4,000 individual / $8,000 family
    Office visits: $30 copay
    Hospitals/Surgeries/etc: 80% after deductible

Wife and I seldom need medical care other than preventative stuff which is covered 100% on both plans. However, our baby might get sick as kids tend to do... So I'm thinking the cheaper plan saves us $960/year but we may up ending paying more than that in the event of any sickness... so maybe it's worth sticking with the more expensive plan to guarantee more reimbursement (90% vs 80%) and lower deductibles?

There is also a REALLY cheap PPO, which would save us $1,812 per year but it has triple the deductibles we have now.
    Blue Shield PPO 1500 for $589/month .
    Deductible: $1,500 individual / $3,000 family
    Max out of pocket: $5,500 individual / $11,000 family
    Office visits: $35 copay
    Hospitals/Surgeries/etc: 75% after deductible
    Last edited by LongIslandIceSIP; 11-02-2015 at 05:49 PM.

ALL THREE of those are REALLY CHEAP ppos. i have to believe those prices are after your work's subsidized a portion.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoda3 View Post
    ALL THREE of those are REALLY CHEAP ppos. i have to believe those prices are after your work's subsidized a portion.
    oh absolutely. Those are MY prices, but work pays 80% of my plan and 50% of my dependents' plan.

Seriously if I were single I would not have health insurance unless I could get it for $100 a month or less. I would just pay the penalty, and pay cash as I go.
    That's well and good until you have an appendectomy and get a bill for $64,000 (that's what mine cost).

Sip- do you have an HSA on any of those?

Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    Sip- do you have an HSA on any of those?
    not on the PPOs or anything by Blue Shield. We also have access to HMO on Kaiser which offer HSAs... but I refuse to use the Kaiser program that locks you up to 1 doctor that has to refer you to everything you might need.

Good call- I ask because my HSA is why my High deductible PPO plan makes sense, because the dollars are pre-tax.

asshat BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy's Avatar
    Damn Sip! Any and all of those plans gets me hard.

asshat Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Both Tacos's Avatar
    When my job was eliminated last year and I needed non-employer insurance, a family member gave me information on Christian Medical Share plans, which is basically a pool (of over 60,000 households) of church going people that has signed up to help pay for each other's medical expenses. There are 3 of them that has been Obamacare approves, which means it meets the guidelines as "insurance" so you are not penalized at the end of the year on your taxes. I picked the one that best fit our family and I pay $405 each month for our family of 5. I also picked them because my monthly contribution goes directly to the person in need and not to the company for them to distribute as they see fit. Basic medical care is on us, such as doctor's appointments and wellness care but anything over $300 is a reimbursable expense. It's not for everyone as you have to have your church sign off on a form and you have to have "faith" that it will work out if you have a large medical expense. So far, I haven't had any problems with getting a couple of medical items fully paid for. I won't go long here, so if you want more info on the program I picked out just PM me (or Derka). Plus, if you do sign up and say I referred you I get a referral credit on my next month's payment. So I have that going for me, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogityBoy View Post
    Damn Sip! Any and all of those plans gets me hard.
    thanks. so I guess I shouldn't stress about picking "the right one" and just pick something

asshat BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BoogityBoy's Avatar
    Ok the right one is BCBS ppo 1500. Youre a healthy bunch. No need to pay up front for healthcare you'll likely not use.
    Last edited by BoogityBoy; 11-03-2015 at 05:35 PM.

asshat JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? JohnnyM's Avatar
    GF has BCBS care through the ACA marketplace (she was newly employed with no benefits at the start of the year). She was paying about $300 for a PPO. Just got notice from the gubmint that her plan is no longer being offered and her new plan options were all HMOs, at the same price she was paying for her PPO. She will be getting on her company's plan next year, but was definitely pissed by the bait and switch offered from year to year. No way in hell should an HMO cost the same as a PPO. If you like your insurance...
    My plan is through the Texas Bar Member Benefits exchange, but this is exactly what happened to me.

asshat Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain's Avatar
    Looks like the penalty will bite me in the ass enough this year that it will be cheaper to buy insurance.

Which I know is the whole point but still.

asshat cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo has a gigantic e-peen. cabowabo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by housious View Post
    The exact same thing happened to my wife. $#@!ing bull$#@!. They now want $300 a month for a $#@!ty HMO starting on Jan 1.
    Me three also with BCBS. $#@!ing $#@!suckers.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogityBoy View Post
    Ok the right one is BCBS ppo 1500. Youre a healthy bunch. No need to pay up front for healthcare you'll likely not use.
    kid bro. I think the 700 is where the value is, but wouldnt argue against any of the other choices.

Sucks he doesnt have an HDHCP/HSA option. I run a HDHCP for myself only, $6 per paycheck. Kids covered through wives PPO, dont know off top of my head what we are out of pocket for on that. We use my HSA to pay all copays and other expenses. Best of both worlds.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    I'm curious about why health care "insurance" is still being bundled into "risk pool" insurances similar to those such as auto insurance, homeowners insurance, flood insurance, et. al. With those, you are banking against a risk.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast