+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Health Insurance........WTF!

asshat Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis's Avatar
    I pay $8.52 biweekly, and put max HSA contribution aside. My employer pays somewhere in the range of $225 per period, and contributes nothing to my HSA.

HDHCP plan with 3200 ind/6400 family deductibles, 80/20 after deductible to $4700 ind/$9400 fam max OOP. All routine/preventative/screening care, and annual checks covered no charge. Preventative meds covered at no charge.

My premium share would be $70 per period ($25 premium + $45 spouse penalty) if we rolled the whole family on there. May need to build a spreadsheet to do the match. Not sure what my wife pays, but she covers the rest of the family on a ppo plan.

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    Skippers big number was because his employer paid zero. He's basically paying COBRA rates.

My employer bought a company earlier this year, and I'm hoping that when they merge the two groups into one group twice the size, it will help with premiums. I also hope that the company continues paying at the same % instead of pocketing the savings for itself.

asshat bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova's Avatar
    Anastasis I know you know, but for the benefit of others- the preventative care is going to be no charge out of pocket on any compliant plan (ironically, among the worst parts of ACA is also one of the most popular across both parties), PPO or HDHP.
    That being said, you may want to do some math and work out a few scenarios to compare the PPO and HDHP, if you put your kids on yours. I don't like that 20% coinsurance after deductible, but if you put your whole family on the plan you'd get an extra $3350 of HSA max, plus your premiums for the family plan are very low.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    Skippers big number was because his employer paid zero. He's basically paying COBRA rates.

My employer bought a company earlier this year, and I'm hoping that when they merge the two groups into one group twice the size, it will help with premiums. I also hope that the company continues paying at the same % instead of pocketing the savings for itself.
    Have to be careful with that though. My company is/was extremely generous with our health plan. We paid damn near nothing, something like 45 bucks a pay check for a 500 dollar deductible PPO. We and a few other companies got bought up by a bigger company. With the Obamacare rules, you cannot get better benefits than other people in your company. So we had to take all 4 company's insurance plan and find something in the middle. Ours being the most generous, we kind of got screwed. Our end of the company tried to keep our plans, but under the "Cadillac Tax" rule, it would've forced our company to pay an excessive penalty to keep our plan.

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    They are merging all employees into one group and bidding that out, so there shouldn't be different plans for different groups anymore. That's why they only did a 6 month plan for us last time around, so that all plans expire at the same time.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    Mine is close to that. I've pencilled it out once, and sorry to say I've tested my numbers by hitting the max twice since then with my kids - PM me if you need help but the bottom line is that if I maxed out the HSA (and you should if you can) the tax advantages still made it a better deal than the PPO.

It's really a question of whether you need to finance routine care. If you don't, HDHP with HSA is usually a better deal.

Relevant details to consider in estimation
    -coinsurance (optimally this is zero after deductible)
    -whether the family deductible is aggregate or embedded
    -Employer match on HSA contribution, because that's free money
    Interesting.

I looked into the HSA (we don't have a match) and it rolls over indefinitely as long as you remain on the same plan. However... if you change employers or your employer changes the plan in the future, the HSA balance becomes use-it-or-lose-it on the last year, no?

I think that would be the greatest risk, given that I'm in a tech startup :)

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    They are merging all employees into one group and bidding that out, so there shouldn't be different plans for different groups anymore. That's why they only did a 6 month plan for us last time around, so that all plans expire at the same time.
    Ah. That's pretty cool. Yeah, the problem with ours was Company A was doing 60/40. B was doing 70/30 C was doing 80/20 and ours was doing closer to 90/10. When they merged that's when they had to find a happy split. Of course we wanted to keep ours, but the Cadillac tax won't allow it. I think they settled on 80/20 so now we pay a little more plus we get a $#@!tier policy. We went from just a single 500 deductible with no other options since it was so badass to 4 options now. At the end of the day, it's only costing me 20 bucks more a month so I'm not really sweating it. The family plans were not so lucky though. We were getting 80/20 on family. Now it's way lower. It went from 220 a month to almost 750.

Yeah I just pulled up a memo from the CEO about open enrollment in a couple of weeks. The thrust was "great news the premiums won't be going up 25% like so many are due to ACA" so I guess I can put away the dream of lower premiums and wait to see how much it increases, not to exceed 25%.

asshat bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    Interesting.

I looked into the HSA (we don't have a match) and it rolls over indefinitely as long as you remain on the same plan. However... if you change employers or your employer changes the plan in the future, the HSA balance becomes use-it-or-lose-it on the last year, no?

I think that would be the greatest risk, given that I'm in a tech startup :)
    Nope, that those funds are yours, tax free, provided you spend them on healthcare expenses, which you eventually will. If you move to another job without an HSA you can't contribute any more, but you can use the dollars until they are gone.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    ^^^ Thanks Bozo, let me do some more research on HSAs.

one time dealer CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT Shaggy Silver Club CBT's Avatar
    Our company just switched providers and we just had to fill out some paperwork to send to our current HSA bank so they could transfer funds to the new one.

For those of you with an HSA, do you no longer need to use the yearly FSA (that IS use it or lose it)?

asshat GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? GottaB's Avatar
    For those of you with an HSA, do you no longer need to use the yearly FSA (that IS use it or lose it)?
    As soon as we moved to HSA, I didn't contribute to an FSA. The amount was small and there is the chance you will lose it so it didn't seem necessary. Seemed like a better move to put the money toward my very what I would expect to be expensive healthcare costs in retirement.

From what I understood of it you can only do FSA or HSA. One or the other not both.

Quote Originally Posted by FartingMonk View Post
    From what I understood of it you can only do FSA or HSA. One or the other not both.
    My understanding as well.

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks yall

Haha, you are getting health insurance answers from a Fartingmonk, I don't know how much i would put on that.

Quote Originally Posted by FartingMonk View Post
    Haha, you are getting health insurance answers from a Fartingmonk, I don't know how much i would put on that.
    Did you take a vow of silent but deadly?

Ever hear of you'd be dead before you even hear him

asshat Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis Probably Shaggy upper class Anastasis's Avatar
    You can do a limited FSA for vision and dental if you have an HSA

asshat Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man probably preboards planes Celery Man's Avatar

Health Insurance........WTF!

Scared the $#@! out of me with that question, SIP. I've been maxing my hsa for several years, seems like basically supplemental pre tax retirement and catastrophe savings, but I'm an idiot so what do I know? What happens to the money if I get killed instantly in a car crash without any medical bills... is I guess what I'm off to google now.

"If your spouse becomes the owner of the account, your spouse can use it as if it were their own HSA. If you are not married, the account will no longer be treated as an HSA upon your death. The account will pass to your beneficiary or become part of your estate (and be subject to any applicable taxes)."

Aight, seems ok.
    Last edited by Celery Man; 11-05-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Celery Man View Post
    Scared the $#@! out of me with that question, SIP. I've been maxing my hsa for several years, seems like basically supplemental pre tax retirement and catastrophe savings, but I'm an idiot so what do I know? What happens to the money if I get killed instantly in a car crash without any medical bills... is I guess what I'm off to google now.

"If your spouse becomes the owner of the account, your spouse can use it as if it were their own HSA. If you are not married, the account will no longer be treated as an HSA upon your death. The account will pass to your beneficiary or become part of your estate (and be subject to any applicable taxes)."

Aight, seems ok.

Also just an FYI Individual max contribution for 2017 is $3400. Up a massive $50 from last year.

OK, so did my homework over the weekend and decided to stay with the PPO vs the HDHP... I did the math and I'm pretty sure we'll come out ahead.

3 main drivers:
    -recurring prescriptions we have in the household (right now they are just a $10 copay, with HDHP they'd be out of pocket for the full script cost until the deductible is hit)
    -random office visits (last year I hurt my back and went to the chiropractor 6 times... it was a $25 copay each, with HDHP it'd be out of pocket for the full visit cost until deductible is hit)
    -flexibility & being proactive with our health (I can chose to schedule anything for a simple copay, vs only go to the doctor for severe stuff). For example, I can schedule a visit to the nutritionist to get advice on eating healthier or whatever and it's always no more than the $25 copay

In the end, the HDHP is only $1,400/yr cheaper than the PPO, and we'd risk spending way more than that in the stuff outlined above. Peace of mind was worth it in our case.

asshat El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri's Avatar
    OK, so did my homework over the weekend and decided to stay with the PPO vs the HDHP... I did the math and I'm pretty sure we'll come out ahead.

3 main drivers:
    -recurring prescriptions we have in the household (right now they are just a $10 copay, with HDHP they'd be out of pocket for the full script cost until the deductible is hit)
    -random office visits (last year I hurt my back and went to the chiropractor 6 times... it was a $25 copay each, with HDHP it'd be out of pocket for the full visit cost until deductible is hit)
    -flexibility & being proactive with our health (I can chose to schedule anything for a simple copay, vs only go to the doctor for severe stuff). For example, I can schedule a visit to the nutritionist to get advice on eating healthier or whatever and it's always no more than the $25 copay

In the end, the HDHP is only $1,400/yr cheaper than the PPO, and we'd risk spending way more than that in the stuff outlined above. Peace of mind was worth it in our case.
    that has always been my thought process as well. rather spend a little more per year but we won't hesitate to go to a doctor for fear of high bills
    Last edited by El Tri; 11-07-2016 at 03:37 PM.

3 main drivers:

All valid points.

Just to play devil's advocate-

-if your recurring prescriptions are generic you still pay the generic price (in some cases lower than the insurance generic copay, ie- $2)
    -6 chiropractic visits- Can't be more than $60-$75 out of pocket each
    -All preventative visits are covered at no cost, A normal PCP visit isn't more than $100 and you still pay the reduced cost sharing amount negotiated with the insurance company.

So the first point is a wash unless you are taking name brand meds, 2nd point is $400 tops, 3rd add a couple of office visits throughout the year for another $200 and you are still saving $800 a month.

Not to mention losing out on $3,400 of tax deductions.

I am just giving you a hard time by the way, there really is no wrong answer as it is always up to the individual's situations and their comfort level with the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa View Post

Isn't it just lowering your taxable income by $3,400? Not the same thing as a $3,400 tax deduction, right?

Maybe doctor's visits are way cheaper in Texas, but the chiropractor bills well all ~$200 per visit on the statement, and I only paid the $25 copay.

How would the generic prescription medicines be less than the $10 copay?

$#@!, I guess I didn't do enough research?

Isn't it just lowering your taxable income by $3,400? Not the same thing as a $3,400 tax deduction, right?

Maybe doctor's visits are way cheaper in Texas, but the chiropractor bills well all ~$200 per visit on the statement, and I only paid the $25 copay.

How would the generic prescription medicines be less than the $10 copay?

$#@!, I guess I didn't do enough research?
    Edit for another question:

The one time we took our kid to the ER this year (hit her head & later puked). She had to do a CT scan ($3700) and the regular ER fee ($3500). So the bill was for $7,200.

The bill mentioned an "insurance adjustment" of ~$2K (which I assume is the negotiated "discount"). So, in the HDHP plan I would have had to pay $7,200 or $5,200 for that incident, right? Or do I not get the discount since it's not the insurance paying it?

With my PPO I only paid $450ish (since I had already hit my low deductible).

All valid points.

Just to play devil's advocate-

-if your recurring prescriptions are generic you still pay the generic price (in some cases lower than the insurance generic copay, ie- $2)
    -6 chiropractic visits- Can't be more than $60-$75 out of pocket each
    -All preventative visits are covered at no cost, A normal PCP visit isn't more than $100 and you still pay the reduced cost sharing amount negotiated with the insurance company.

So the first point is a wash unless you are taking name brand meds, 2nd point is $400 tops, 3rd add a couple of office visits throughout the year for another $200 and you are still saving $800 a month.

I am just giving you a hard time by the way, there really is no wrong answer as it is always up to the individual's situations and their comfort level with the plans.
    OH, and the savings in premiums were $1,400 per YEAR not per month! That's why the math wasn't really adding up.

So, in the HDHP plan I would have had to pay $7,200 or $5,200 for that incident, right? Or do I not get the discount since it's not the insurance paying it?
    If you go to an ER that's in network, you are only responsible for the negotiated rate.

My wife's renewing for her and the three kids. 109 per month, employer pays 490. Ppo with 550 deductible, 90/10 after deductible 2/4K max. Jesus. If anything Obamacare has made it pretty damn hard for her to leave her job on insurance basis alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    My wife's renewing for her and the three kids. 109 per month, employer pays 490. Ppo with 550 deductible, 90/10 after deductible 2/4K max. Jesus. If anything Obamacare has made it pretty damn hard for her to leave her job on insurance basis alone.
    THis is where I am. I pay $300 a month for a family plan and every time I look at leaving I get quotes for over $1,000 a month and then I shut my filthy sewer and get back to work.

asshat Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Apep's Avatar
    For $56/mo, my wife gets an HSA-compatible plan, $2500/$6500. It is 80/20 after deductible. It costs around $600 to add me and $300 to add my son. Pretty much every Obamacare plan is cheaper, though the plans aren't great. Not that Fort Worth ISD's plan is all that great.

asshat Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    If anything Obamacare has made it pretty damn hard for her to leave her job on insurance basis alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clintonaldo View Post
    THis is where I am. I pay $300 a month for a family plan and every time I look at leaving I get quotes for over $1,000 a month and then I shut my filthy sewer and get back to work.

No cr

Quote Originally Posted by Solamente73 View Post

No cr
    Take that $#@! to..... nevermind

OH, and the savings in premiums were $1,400 per YEAR not per month! That's why the math wasn't really adding up.
    Yeah my bad $800 a year.

Hopkins covered the ER question.

Back to your other questions- yes it would lower your income by $3400 (or up to $6750, max for a family)

as for the prescription coverage- you pay the negotiated rate between the pharmacy and the insurance company but many generic drugs are under $10 even without insurance or insurance negotiated reduction.

Ok, thanks!

asshat HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4 Shaggy Gold Club HOOKEM4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by El Tri View Post
    yes it is, but LongIsland's cost was by his employer as well as I understand. Several other people also mentioned high costs through their employers. hookem4 mentioned paying $1k/month through his employer, and skipper $1700/month. $#@! that. I would never consider working for an employer where they don't pick up the majority of my healthcare premiums
    My employer claims to pay 50% but there is no way that is true. For 2k a month our deductible should be around half of what it is. I am pretty sure they are using some sort of accounting trickery or flat out breaking the law. However it isn't out of the realm of possibility they are just plain stupid and are not getting us the best available deal. We find out in a few weeks what the new premiums will be so I guess I shall see how much more I am screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by HOOKEM4 View Post
    My employer claims to pay 50% but there is no way that is true. For 2k a month our deductible should be around half of what it is. I am pretty sure they are using some sort of accounting trickery or flat out breaking the law. However it isn't out of the realm of possibility they are just plain stupid and are not getting us the best available deal. We find out in a few weeks what the new premiums will be so I guess I shall see how much more I am screwed.
    A lot depends on the size of the employer.

I can tell you there are a $#@! ton of small business owners (in the 15-50 employee range) that are getting assfucked for a number of reasons. Group claims, older workforce, ACA changes, $#@!ty plan options because of cost. etc.

I obviously don't know the details on your company but can guarantee some people would $#@! their pants if they realized what their employer was actually paying to cover their portion of the company health insurance premium.

asshat jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    A lot depends on the size of the employer.

I can tell you there are a $#@! ton of small business owners (in the 15-50 employee range) that are getting assfucked for a number of reasons. Group claims, older workforce, ACA changes, $#@!ty plan options because of cost. etc.
    This is my problem. Really sucks.

Ok, thanks!
    Good on you for doing the math, that's what I do every year and I always get something out of it.

You probably figured this last part in, but if you didn't- if you use your HSA for out of pocket costs, you are essentially getting a discount on your out of pocket costs at your marginal tax rate because the HSA contribution is pre-tax.
    Thus, if your family deductible is 6K, and you hit it, and you are in the 25% tax bracket, it actually cost you $4500.

Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    Good on you for doing the math, that's what I do every year and I always get something out of it.

You probably figured this last part in, but if you didn't- if you use your HSA for out of pocket costs, you are essentially getting a discount on your out of pocket costs at your marginal tax rate because the HSA contribution is pre-tax.
    Thus, if your family deductible is 6K, and you hit it, and you are in the 25% tax bracket, it actually cost you $4500.

Make sense?

yep. and unfortunately (or fortunately?) we are in a higher tax bracket.

We'll do one more year of PPO this year, but I started a spreadsheet to actually track every single healthcare expense in 2017 and have real numbers for our 2018 decision. Thanks for all the help, y'all!

purveyor of taste huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge's Avatar
    I miss my HSA.

That is all.

yep. and unfortunately (or fortunately?) we are in a higher tax bracket.

We'll do one more year of PPO this year, but I started a spreadsheet to actually track every single healthcare expense in 2017 and have real numbers for our 2018 decision. Thanks for all the help, y'all!
    Fortunately, of course, and it makes your discount bigger.

asshat Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73's Avatar
    Any small business (<50 employees) owners out there working on a small group plan with BCBSTX?

asshat hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hornian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Solamente73 View Post
    Any small business (<50 employees) owners out there working on a small group plan with BCBSTX?
    We are in the 2nd year of our small group plan with BCBS. Our premium increased 15%

asshat jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? jofus might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    ok so trump won... when will my rates go down?

Cowboys and Texans fan ! tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt probably preboards planes tx 3 putt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofus View Post
    ok so trump won... when will my rates go down?
    Everything will go up to cover the costs of the newly uninsured

Quote Originally Posted by hornian View Post
    We are in the 2nd year of our small group plan with BCBS. Our premium increased 15%
    We are going into our 2nd year. We currently offer 1 plan, and it is cancelled for 2017. The closest plan to that one looks like premiums have gone up about 15%, too. I'm looking through the options now, thinking about adding 2 more plans to max at 3. Interestingly, the insurance broker says we can still have a small group plan with only one subscriber, but the BCBS literature says otherwise. Not sure who's right, yet.

purveyor of taste huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge's Avatar
    My wife's company got bought by Mylan. The cover damn near everything. VIVE LE EPIPEN!

Edit for another question:

The one time we took our kid to the ER this year (hit her head & later puked). She had to do a CT scan ($3700) and the regular ER fee ($3500). So the bill was for $7,200.

The bill mentioned an "insurance adjustment" of ~$2K (which I assume is the negotiated "discount"). So, in the HDHP plan I would have had to pay $7,200 or $5,200 for that incident, right? Or do I not get the discount since it's not the insurance paying it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopkins 24/7 View Post
    If you go to an ER that's in network, you are only responsible for the negotiated rate.

Not necessarily. The ER doctors do not generally work for the hospital. I took my wife to a Seton ER two years ago. We even asked the intake people to make sure they take our insurance and that any doctor we see does. They assured us this is the case. Then we got a bill from the ER doc's billing middlemen a few weeks later. Seton could not help, the ER doc did not have an "office" or a way to contact him, my insurance could not help, and his billing company was just some large clearinghouse type operation in Ohio. I spent 10s of hours on the phone talking to all parties (except the freakin doctor). In the end there was nothing I could do but pay the bastards. I think they eventually offered me a 5 or 10% discount to settle it.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast