+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Texas Tennis 2016: Expectations? What Expectations?

asshat perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007's Avatar

Texas Tennis 2016: Expectations? What Expectations?

With the team tennis season starting just a couple of days from now, I suppose it's time for this thread. Normally I'll post an unnecessarily long write-up previewing the new tennis season, but that won't be the case this year (I'll cut the length in half at least) . We lost so much talent to graduation last season, and unfortunately the two best players on our roster from the fall quit the team. With the Big 12 being as strong as it is, and Texas going through a "rebuilding" year, it's very difficult to be optimistic. But perfectchaos007, we are nationally ranked #12 in the pre-season poll, isn't that good? Of course it's good, until you realize that every pre-season poll is basically a copy/paste from the year end poll the previous season. Last year I told everyone TCU's preseason ranking of #40 was BS and they were easily top 10, and then of course they moved on to the Final 4. Preseason tennis polls don't mean squat.

Okay so who did we lose from last year?
    EVERYONE!!!!!!!!
    Okay not really everyone, but pretty darn close to everyone. Here's who we lost to graduation:

Adrien Berkowicz
    Lloyd Glasspool
    Søren Hess-Olesen
    Clement Homs
    Jacoby Lewis

All of those guys, save for Jacoby, played major roles on the team. You could almost always count on those guys to pull out big wins. So with them gone, we had big shoes to fill. Our Senior leader this year was supposed to be Nick Naumann, and our stud freshman recruit Liam Caruana was going to be our underclassman leader. That plan went out the window a couple months ago when both quit the team.

Players we lost from pro/transfer/quit
    Nick Naumann
    Liam Caruana

Nick suddenly quit the team, and I don't have information as to why he quit, but he's supposedly now giving tennis lessons for money. Liam played the individual season for us in the Fall, but decided last month to go pro.

So who is left, and what's the projected singles lineup?
    Fortunately we still have 4 guys on the roster that have meaningful playing experience from last year so I don't want to give the impression that this team is in worse shape than the womens team. Not by a longshot. The guys we have left just weren't that consistent.

Singles:
    1. George Goldhoff (Jr)
    2. Michael Riechmann (Sr)
    3. John Mee (So)
    4. Harrison Scott (Fr)
    5. Adrian Ortiz (So)
    6. ???

We have some guys that can play line 6, but it may be an interchangeable position. If I were to guess who starts out at line 6, I would say freshman Rodrigo Banzer since he has ATP points and played Davis Cup for Bolivia.

Why is this team so baron all of the sudden? Has Coach Center lost control of the program?

Not at all. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year, but it's hard to rebuild when you don't have a home outdoor tennis facility. If you're a top international recruit looking to improve your game and train, Texas is currently a very tough sell. Our new indoor facility is a 30-40 minute drive from campus, and we have no outdoor facility. Our home Big 12 matches will be played at Polo athletic club which is also a 30-40 minute drive from campus. Steve Patterson and co. didn't put replacing Pennick Alison at a high priority. They should have at least began construction of the new facility as soon as they started to tear down Pennick, but that didn't happen. Fortunately a new outdoor tennis facility should be completed by Spring 2017 near the baseball field. This will help our recruiting again once it's finished.

Big 12 predictions:

Once again the Big 12 is stacked. Big 12 had 3 teams that made the Final 4 last year, and I think its just as strong this year.

1. TCU (5-0)
    2. Oklahoma (4-1)
    3. Baylor (3-2)
    4. Texas Tech (2-3)
    5. Texas (1-4)
    6. OKST ( 0-5)

TCU is my pick to win the Big 12 because they had a ton of underclassmen lead their team to the final 4 last year and they follow that up by recruiting the #1 recruit in the nation, Alex Rybakov. TCU is my pick to win the National Championship.

Texas starts the season this Tuesday in a double header against Lamar and Abilene Christian.

asshat perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007's Avatar
    Texas def. ACU 7-0
    Texas def. Lamar 6-1

Not bad for the first day. Goldhoff played line one and won both matches in a 3rd set tiebreak which is concerning given the opponents. He's definitely not a line 1 caliber player, but he's the best we have. John Mee didn't play singles today for whatever reason and we definitely need him. Our first test will be this weekend @ #62 Washington.

asshat Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8's Avatar
    Thanks for the updates! Keep them coming!

asshat js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes
    Players we lost from pro/transfer/quit
    Nick Naumann
    Liam Caruana

Nick suddenly quit the team, and I don't have information as to why he quit, but he's supposedly now giving tennis lessons for money. Liam played the individual season for us in the Fall, but decided last month to go pro.
    I did not know this. How puzzling.

I was going to start a thread actually... thanks for doing the hard work. There is no reason, aside from injury that it shouldn't be TCU vs Virginia in the NC match. I project TCU lineup to be"

1- Norrie. #4 ranked
    2- Nunez. #23
    3- Rybakov. Unranked currently but will be top 25 soon. He's ranked inside #650 on the atp tour.
    4-Lopez... ranked around #100
    5- Johnson...ranked #80 or near it
    6- will rotate here.

It looks like five of our six starters have a good shot at being ranked this year. Our team is absolutely stacked

asshat naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo Shaggy Bronze Club naked_bongo's Avatar
    The freshman stud was convinced by his crazy dad to go pro. We have a new international transfer coming in who was supposed to be here this weekend but had problems with his visa. He should be here next weekend or the following. The new courts will be ready to play on this fall. The rest of the facility will be open spring 2017, and we host the Big 12 tournament next spring at the new facility.

Quote Originally Posted by naked_bongo View Post
    The freshman stud was convinced by his crazy dad to go pro. We have a new international transfer coming in who was supposed to be here this weekend but had problems with his visa. He should be here next weekend or the following. The new courts will be ready to play on this fall. The rest of the facility will be open spring 2017, and we host the Big 12 tournament next spring at the new facility.
    Any word on why Naumann decided to quit?

fucktard woo woo worster is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    Curious who the International player you reference above? Someone other than Banzer or Telles? Texas has until, I believe, only until the 19th to get a new player in for the semester (though I could be wrong about when classes begin).
    Once Banzer and Telles begin play Texas will be stronger, though that's not to say the will be strong. Will need to win a lot of matches at 4,5,6 +Dubs.

I watched some of our match against UCSB online today. It was tough to keep track of scores because they weren't updating scores at this neutral site. Anyways we won the doubles point. Mee and Goldhoff got wins, and Zlobinski lost. So I know we at least won 3 matches and lost 1. I don't know how the other 3 points went and Texas Mens Tennis twitter hasn't been giving updates so I don't know if we won or not. I think we did?

Texas def. UCSB 6-1

We won the doubles point and got wins from George Goldhoff, Michael Riechmann, John Mee, Harrison Scott, and Adrian Ortiz. Zlobinski was the lone loss and he was devastated. I think Zlobinski knows line 6 is a carousel and he may have lost his chance at securing a spot at line 6. I'll be interested to see who Center puts at line 6 tomorrow against Washington.
    Last edited by perfectchaos007; 01-16-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Tennis players are headcases.

asshat Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death's Avatar

??

#62 Washington def. #12 Texas 4-3

Saw this coming. We won the doubles point but were killed in singles. Goldhoff, Mee, Riechmann, and Scott all lost their singles matches in straight sets. Adrian Ortiz won his singles match and nailed his opponent in the balls on match point. They were both at the net and Ortiz crushed a forehand into his nuts. Ortiz's opponent stayed on the ground for quite some time. So yeah we took the L but Ortiz may have ruined his opponents hopes of starting a family one day, so there's that

asshat texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? texas08's Avatar
    Still can't believe we don't have gdamn courts. Pitiful.

asshat js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes
    That's disappointing. $#@! Patterson and this courts fiasco. But the renderings look pretty damn nice for what's being built.

#21 Florida def. #20 Texas 4-0
    Lost the doubles point, then lost the next 3 matches in straight sets. Other 3 matches on court were close but were suspended after Florida clinched. No ITA championships for us this year but we will play Texas Tech or Ole Miss tomorrow in the consolation match.

Boo4

#17 Ole Miss def. #20 Texas 4-3

Lost doubles as well as line 1,2, and 3 singles. We have good players, but none that are great enough to be at the top so we're going to struggle all season at the top of the lineup. Really sucks to go 0-2 at your own host site of the ITA kickoff.

So temper expectations ? Got it

I forgot that last semester he was only 17. When I was 17, I was still a Junior in HS, but he was playing college tennis and taking college classes. Liam just turned 18 a few days ago actually and he's playing in the Junior Australian Open and playing quite well. Believe it or not they've been airing his matches on ESPN3 and I've been watching them. Looks like he also has a clothing sponsorship with Lotto. I wonder what % of that deal went to his dad since it was signed before Liam turned 18. Hmmmmm maybe Liams dad was thinking about himself when convincing his 17 year old to go pro.

Bottom line is I can't fault Liam for leaving the team because he was a minor and it sounds like he took orders from daddy. He's technically a former Longhorn so I'll follow his career and hope he has success on the tour.

But damn, we could have really used him on the Texas Tennis team this year that's for sure.
    Last edited by perfectchaos007; 01-25-2016 at 02:34 AM.

#26 Texas def. #49 SMU 4-2

We were destroyed in doubles, but came back strong in singles. Much needed win. I think our ranking will hover around 30 all year.

#8 Ohio State def. #26 Texas 4-0
    Lost doubles and 5 out of 6 first sets in singles. Forced some third sets but it wasn't enough to avoid the sweep. This may be a year we don't make the dance I'm afraid, unless we find a couple of signature wins somewhere. We actually have the talent to do it, but everything needs to click at the right time like when Texas Tech upset #1 Oklahoma last year in Big 12 play.

#24 Cal def. #26 Texas (4-0)
    Most matches were close, but we couldn't close the deal. Cal is extremely underrated btw as they beat #2 TCU today 4-2

#26 Texas def. #18 Stanford (4-3)
    Our first signature win of 2016. Ortiz won 8-6 in a third set tiebreak to clinch for Texas. Clutch! We will need a couple more top 20 wins imo to get into the NCAA tournament but this is a great start. A 1-1 record over the cali teams this weekend is a pretty good result for us.

asshat spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class
    I don't know anything about this guy, but he kinda goes on a rant starting here.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index...#post-10033315

Quote Originally Posted by spystud13 View Post
    I don't know anything about this guy, but he kinda goes on a rant starting here.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/index...#post-10033315
    Did Michael Center $#@! that dude's wife or daughter? Bc I don't think I've heard many bad things about the guy, even after I no longer worked in Bellmont.

asshat spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class
    Goddamn, all the $#@!ing posts I was referring to are gone now. That site is the most heavily-moderated of any I have ever been on, they will $#@!ing delete ANYTHING.

Let's see how long this stays up...

lol they censor and hide rumors/speculation over there? what's the fun in that? That's why I'm just going to stick with shaggy, even though the thread over there is more active than this one.

It is unreal how much they'll delete. I've been banned twice for 4 weeks total for making fun of their moderation.

Posts were deleted as they were requested to be deleted by the poster.

Thanks,
    Brittany, TW

And my post is gone now too.

Huge win today over #5 WF. Down 3-1 and rallied to win 4-3

3 consecutive 3rd set tiebreak wins to clinch. Clutch! Hopefully that gives this team confidence that they have the ability and talent to beat the top teams.

All 6 of the Big 12 schools are ranked inside the top 15.

3/1/16 Rankings
    1 North Carolina
    2 University of Virginia
    3 TCU
    4 Ohio State University
    5 Oklahoma State University
    6 UCLA
    7 Wake Forest University
    8 Texas A&M University
    9 Northwestern University
    10 Texas Tech University
    11 University of Illinois
    12 University of Southern California
    13 University of Oklahoma
    14 Baylor University
    15 University of Texas

That is legit.

We fell just short of beating #2 TCU today after being down 0-3 we rallied back to 2-3, and lost 4-2. We are 1-3 in Big 12 play so far with just @#10 Texas Tech remaining. Good news is we have a couple of foreign studs coming in next season. Ito from Japan and another stud from Denmark

Texas finishes 1-4 in conference, just as I predicted in the OP. I think we'll still make the tournament though based on our non-conference wins.

Lost 1-4 against OU in the opening of the Big 12 tournament.

Just not competitive this year. Jesus.

As expected, we'll be sent to the aggy regional. 1st round we face Lamar, then we'll face aggy.

Wow. Not a single Big 12 accolade. No first or single teamers in singles or doubles.

Next year we'll have Ito and Søren 2.0 so they should help us improve vastly next season. And we'll have a kickass new facility by the baseball fields so hopefully matches will get more attendance. It helps with recruiting

Texas over Lamar, 4-0

Aggy won doubles but match suspended during singles until 11am tomorrow

Texas now leads 2-1. Most of the remaining matches will come down to third sets. Gonna be a close finish

3-1

Need to close this out. Anyone, seriously.

3-3

All on Goldhoff. He was up 5-4 and got broken. Could have ended it. Someone is getting their hearts broken

Aggy up 6-5 in at 1 singles. Gonna take a miracle to avoid this collapse.

6-6. Tiebreaker time.

I have a bad feeling about this. Like I did yesterday during the doubles tiebreaker

6-6, Goldhoff holds serve.

A&M up 4-1 in the tiebreak, in trouble.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast