+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the 2016-17 Longhorn basketball team

asshat taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beast 512 View Post
    Even odds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Derka View Post
    ISU is -9.5
    Haha I guess whatever I looked at was wrong... but yes now -9 isu

asshat kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Gold Club kingkoopa6's Avatar
    Let's get that W!

Jarrett Allen is one of the worst defenders we've ever had, which is absolutely insane considering his physical gifts. Kid is just awful on that end. No desire, no fight, yet he's over aggressive to his own detriment at times. When he needs to contest a 1-on-1 shot at the rim he wilts; when he simply needs to close out on a shooter, chop his feet and raise his arm, he instead goes flying into the stands after a simple pump fake, leaving the shooter wide open. Terrible defender.

Jones is really coming into his own with the ball in his hands. He's so much more composed now than he was early in the year.

x/post

asshat dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    young needs to not shoot 3's

asshat taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20's Avatar
    What frustrates me more than anything with this team is the lack of fundamentals, which inevitably lead to turn overs. I don't know why they are so raw. But things like passing the ball, and movement off the ball are just lacking. In regards to our star Allen, I asked in the game thread if he ever played real competition. It's surprising how bad his ball skills are offensively. He was a turnover machine last night because he insists on dribbling in the low block when he's getting doubled down on. And his lack of aggression just isn't helping him on the floor.

The fundamental mistakes are what is killing this team. In fact I really believe we have a winning record if we don't have the turnover problem. But instead we are what we are. I hate to keep beating this to death but turnovers for me is the most important issue facing our team. This team can dominate most others if they don't turn the ball over and it's been the difference in just about every game this year. But I will continue to post TO to AST numbers in game threads.
    Last edited by taybo20; 01-08-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Allen played at a private school, that should answer your question about competition. St Michaels is useless if your kid is an athlete.

Allen played at a private school, that should answer your question about competition. St Michaels is useless if your kid is an athlete.
    It all makes sense then

asshat dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy has a gigantic e-peen. dbeasy's Avatar
    Shooting 50% from the field, 40% from three, and a rebounding edge and still losing means bad defense and turnovers as the biggest issues.

X-post

In regards to havoc, we should forget that for now. This team struggles to press in the games that they have. Which is why we really don't do it that much. No one ever rotates middle in a 1-2-1-1 press which is the one pass that breaks the zone with ease and enables a fast break type opportunity. Idk why, they just don't execute it well at all. I would imagine the press is something many of these guys have never run and this is the first time they've had to execute it. In fact, in terms of zone principles, I don't really see a lot that I'm happy with. we are slow to rotate, we don't close out properly, we don't keep our hands up, and as an extension we really don't shut down passing lanes. We play best in man to man. And even in man, we double at the wrong times, we never seem to call out screens, we switch when we shouldn't, we don't hedge properly on pick and rolls, and many times we just aren't in good guarding position.

This may sound like I'm just ripping this team and there is no hope, but the issues keeping this team from being above .500 are really based in fundamentals and good defense. Cleaning up basic principles will result in wins. But it can't be just one guy, the whole team has to be doing this.

The bench, btw, had 4 fouls, 2 turnovers, and 3 total points in 51 minutes which got me to wondering if we'd be better off playing an actual bench.

None of us knows why our bench is so thin; why we didn't recruit multiple PGs and multiple extra big men. The line of thinking that's been posted around here is that we don't want to overload the roster now. Sounds great, if we have a bunch of real difference makers coming in next season. So far we have zero, and the only real difference maker we are in for (Bamba) is a defensive force but has a ton of growing to do offensively before he gets to where he can be an offensive force every night.

Then there's Matt Coleman- he's the PG we need, but if you're counting on him to have a TJ or DJ-type freshman season then you will likely be disappointed.

So, not only could we really really use the extra bodies right now (and as I've said, if anyone gets injured the bottom is going to fall out), but it ain't like we have three 5* and a 4* on deck for 2017- we have more of the same type of role playing, needs-some-years-to-grow type players we have now. Shaka really might now make it past next season.

Oh and if either Coleman or Bamba (or both) decides to go somewhere else then Shaka is a dead man walking.

asshat Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874 Shaggy Bronze Club Steamboat1874's Avatar
    Look anyone that suggests Shaka should be gone is an idiot and should be disregarded completely and should just go die in a fire and be done with it....for the rest of us slightly more coherent fans here is what I see ....

A young team with incredible potential...

Best player.....

Hands down Tevin Mack and it is not even close.

Most disappointing player....

Do I need to even say it ?

Guy played a basically church league schedule and is way too soft.
    Shows some skill and promise but should play less minutes. Needs to gain at least 25 pounds of pure muscle and a million pounds of confidence. I have dogged him like crazy but still like his upside and there is no coach better for him to get better than Shaka.

Add a stud point guard to this team and look $#@!ing out...

I am convinced Shaka is the right coach for this program just like I am convinced our football team got the right guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Steamboat1874 View Post
    Look anyone that suggests Shaka should be gone is an idiot and should be disregarded completely and should just go die in a fire and be done with it.
    I don't think anyone has said that yet, but looking forward things to do not look to be in Shaka's favor.

First, Allen might leave after this year. He will leave as soon as he thinks he can be 1st round pick.

Next, it looks as if Shaka is going to enter his third season as HC at Texas with ONE total PG recruited to the school. Even if that does happen to be Matt Coleman, that still leaves us in really bad shape at the position, with the true freshman as the only PG on the roster. To have coached somewhere three years and to have recruited one single PG is unfathomable- and yet right now it looks like that's exactly what's going to happen.

There's also no guarantee that we sign Bamba. Prognosticators seem to think we are in good standing, and we have all of the playing time in the world to offer him, unlike schools like Duke and Kentucky who are already replete with young big men.
    Still, he has offers from everyone, and we can't count on the no.4 player in the country choosing us when he has dozens of schools to choose from.

Even if we do sign Bamba he is not going to step in and dominate on the offensive end. He should be an outstanding rebounder and shot blocker, but Dylan Osetkowski would still be our most talented big man on the offensive end. While Allen + Bamba should be outstanding at protecting the rim, the two of them wouldn't combine to average more than 20 ppg.

So, absolute best case scenario looks like this:

Coleman
    Jones
    Mack
    Allen
    Bamba

Osetkowski
    Roach
    EDJ
    Jericho Sims
    Royce Hamm
    Banks
    Young
    Febres

That's a helluva lot better than this year, there's no doubt about that- but it's still a team that really lacks shooting, does not have a great offensive player in the post, and aside from maybe Bamba (or Allen if he gets some coaching) no really good individual defenders. It's a tournament team, but not one that will compete to win the conference. But hey, I think we'd all sign up for this in a heartbeat.

Now then, here is the worst case scenario, which I'm afraid is actually more likely to happen than the above scenario:

Jones
    Roach
    Mack
    Hamm
    Osetkowski

EDJ
    Jericho Sims
    Banks
    Young
    Febres
    PG signing/transfer?
    Big man signing/transfer?

That's another bad team. That's another missed NCAA tourney. That's another team that is awful at shooting, and porous defensively. The best/most experienced players are still the combo guards + Mack, all of whom still project to have major holes in their game. At this point only Mack could feasibly be projected to ever make the All Conference team. Those guys would be the ones leading a whole slew of freshmen who simply are not these Kentucky freshmen who step in from day 1 and make a major impact. They will all he projects like Allen, Banks, and Young.

If this is the case then Shaka will be fired at the end of next year, and the torches and pitchforks will have been out for months. This scenario could happen, and Shaka would not survive it.

Now then, it's almost a certainty that something between these two will happen. But that still leaves us in murky territory, and still leaves Shaka very much needing to bag multiple All American recruits from the c/o 2018 if he wants to keep his job.

His work is certainly cut out for him, and it's an uphill battle right now. As of today, with Bamba and Coleman uncommitted and Jarrett Allen a giant question mark, Shaka is already playing catch up if he even wants to make the tourney next year. Missing the tourney multiple years in a row (after having made it with Rick Barnes' players) will not be accepted. So while I agree that it would be dumb to want him fired right now, Shaka has a lot of work to do if he wants the same to be said one year from now.

Oh and if either Coleman or Bamba (or both) decides to go somewhere else then Shaka is a dead man walking.
    Shaka looks to be much more active on the transfer/grad transfer market this year. I'll be surprised if we don't land a grad transfer at PG.

Also, anyone know how medical redshirts work. Can Isom get a medical RS?

The biggest upgrade next year might not be at PG but with Osetkowski. Getting a legit stretch big will open the offense up so much.

Unfortunately without Isom or Osetkowski this year we still have shooting issues.
    Last edited by TexasStrong12; 01-08-2017 at 05:18 PM.

asshat Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle Shaggy Bronze Club Roofle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasStrong12 View Post
    Also, anyone know how medical redshirts work. Can Isom get a medical RS?
    If the injury prevents him from being cleared to play for the entirety of the season, yes. A medical redshirt requires the injury to be season-ending. There are some other criteria, but they don't pertain to him, given that he hasn't set foot on the floor yet.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/bas...r-myles-turner

A pretty good breakdown of things from Jeffrey Haley at BON. I think Haley does good work over there on basketball related topics.

x/post:

Anecdotal and statistical evidence which shows that 5* Jarrett Allen doesn not even compare favorably with Shaq Cleare:

Quote Originally Posted by dcar00 View Post
    a post like Allen with 7 turnovers is ridiculous. he has no idea what to do when he is doubled from the backside.

I know we had to take him as a 5 star in our backyard, I'm glad we have him, and we'd certainly be worse without him but he has to know what to do when he is doubled.

It is imperative we make teams pay when they double Allen because they don't really have to double anyone else.
    This is what I was arguing about earlier with TexasStrong. Shaq Cleare isn't even good, but Allen makes about 4x as many negative plays as Cleare does. Shaq keeps the offense flowing and the ball moving; he knows what he's going to do with the ball before he gets it. Now, he's as likely to airball that 6 foot floater as he is to make it, but he knows what he's going to do before he gets the rock.

Allen gets the rock and everything grinds to a halt. Seems like 1/3 of his touches result in turnovers. He has no idea what to do with the ball when he gets it, and he often just stands sedentary, over-thinking the entire play unsure of what to do. Whenever he gets double teamed it's pretty much a turnover. He gets smothered, and is easily flustered. Even when he doesn't turn the ball over he makes negative plays.

For someone who was gifted with a body like that he has the *worst* rebounding positioning/timing/effort/acumen/everything. He is constantly putting himself in a terrible rebounding position, he is constantly having 6'3" guards come flying in from behind him to grab rebounds, and he doesn't seem to be interested in putting his body up against anyone. For all of the obvious advantages he has over Shaq Cleare, he has an absymal basketball IQ, he plays like a deer in the headlights, and he shuts down our offense which for some totally bewildering reason is designed to go thorugh him. It's really hard to watch.

Oh, and not only is Shaq Cleare much better than Allen at a ton of stuff that doesn't always show up on a stat sheet, their per 40 averages are pretty damn similar:

Allen: 14.5 ppg, 10.5 reb, 1.4 ast, 0.5 stl, 3.8 TO, .559 FG%, .547 FT%
    Cleare: 14.0 ppg, 10.6 reb, 1.3 ast, 0.5 stl, 2.6 TO, .494 FG%, .857 FT%

Allen: ORtg: 98.9 DRtg: 97.3
    Cleare: ORtg: 107.6 DRtg: 97.5

ORtg-Offensive Rating- A metric that estimates how many points an individual player produces per 100 team possessions. This concept is also used to rate a team's offensive production per 100 possessions

DRtg- Defensive Rating- (available since the 1973-74 season in the NBA); for players and teams it is points allowed per 100 posessions
    Last edited by Derka; 01-08-2017 at 09:47 PM.

x/post:

Anecdotal and statistical evidence which shows that 5* Jarrett Allen doesn not even compare favorably with Shaq Cleare:

This is what I was arguing about earlier with TexasStrong. Shaq Cleare isn't even good, but Allen makes about 4x as many negative plays as Cleare does. Shaq keeps the offense flowing and the ball moving; he knows what he's going to do with the ball before he gets it. Now, he's as likely to airball that 6 foot floater as he is to make it, but he knows what he's going to do before he gets the rock.

Allen gets the rock and everything grinds to a halt. Seems like 1/3 of his touches result in turnovers. He has no idea what to do with the ball when he gets it, and he often just stands sedentary, over-thinking the entire play unsure of what to do. Whenever he gets double teamed it's pretty much a turnover. He gets smothered, and is easily flustered. Even when he doesn't turn the ball over he makes negative plays.

For someone who was gifted with a body like that he has the *worst* rebounding positioning/timing/effort/acumen/everything. He is constantly putting himself ina terrible rebounding position, he is constantly having 6'3" guards come flying in from behind him to grab rebounds, and he doesn't seem to be interested in putting his body up against anyone. For all of the obvious advantages he has over Shaq Cleare, he has an absymal basketball IQ, he plays like a deer in the headlights, and he shuts down our offense which for some totally bewildering reason is designed to go thorugh him. It's really hard to watch.

Oh, and not only is Shaq Cleare much better than Allen at a ton of stuff that doesn't always show up on a stat sheet, their per 40 averages are pretty damn similar:

Allen: 14.5 ppg, 10.5 reb, 1.4 ast, 0.5 stl, 3.8 TO, .559 FG%, .547 FT%
    Cleare: 14.0 ppg, 10.6 reb, 1.3 ast, 0.5 stl, 2.6 TO, .494 FG%, .857 FT%

Allen: ORtg: 98.9 DRtg: 97.3
    Cleare: ORtg: 107.6 DRtg: 97.5

ORtg-Offensive Rating- A metric that estimates how many points an individual player produces per 100 team possessions. This concept is also used to rate a team's offensive production per 100 possessions

DRtg- Defensive Rating- (available since the 1973-74 season in the NBA); for players and teams it is points allowed per 100 posessions
    I don't think Allen is by any means a well rounded player yet. He has several issues. Cleare simply isn't a better player than Allen. Come on man, one is going to be a future lottery pick and the other averaged 12.6 minutes per game in his 3 previous seasons because he simply wasn't good enough. Cleare wouldn't even be getting 15 minutes a game here if we had any depth whatsoever.

Regardless of what stats say, Cleare is a huge detriment to this team in several areas. I'm not saying Allen doesn't have his weaknesses, because he does.

Cleare simply can't defend the pick and roll which is often a detriment to other players and their stats. In addition to the fact that nobody even attempts to guard Cleare outside of about 2 feet from the rim.

What Cleare does add to this team is his rebounding ability and at least some experience. But he's not a player that should be getting more than 12 to 15 minutes a game (as his history shows).

I don't even dislike Cleare, he is what he is. I have more criticism of Cleare getting as many minutes per game as I do of his actual ability.
    Last edited by TexasStrong12; 01-08-2017 at 09:59 PM.

We aren't talking about Allen in the future vs Shaq right now, we're talking about Allen right now vs Shaq right now, and both my eyeballs and the numbers say that Shaq is equal to or better than Jarrett Allen thus far. You deride Cleare, and yet he has a MUCH higher ORtg and an equal DRtg. It doesn't matter if he can't guard the P&R, because all Allen can do is stand under the rim and swat layups like he's the biggest kid in middle school. And again, you continue to discount the litany of areas which aren't measured staistically where Cleare >>>> Allen, i.e. rebounding position, knwoing where to be on the floor, and moving the ball, as mentioned above.

Shaq is a 4th year D-1 player who is fully accustomed to playing D-1 ball. He doesn't have to think about anything- he knows where to be and what to do.He isn't so great at the whole "doing" part of the equation, but he's on time. Jarrett Allen has major major problems knowing where to be and what to do, and he is having an awful time adjusting to the college game. His ceiling is miles above Cleare's, but as of today I trust Shaq Cleare a helluva lot more than I trust Allen to not make a negative play, and to know his role. Allen just isn't there yet. He's just not.
    Last edited by Derka; 01-08-2017 at 10:01 PM.

We aren't talking about Allen in the future vs Shaq right now, we're talking about Allen right now vs Shaq right now, and both my eyeballs and the numbers say that Shaq is equal to or better than Jarrett Allen thus far. You deride Cleare, and yet he has a MUCH higher ORtg and an equal DRtg. It doesn't matter if he can't guard the P&R, because all Allen can do is stand under the rim and swat layups like he's the biggest kid in middle school. And again, you continue to discount the litany of areas which aren't measured staistically where Cleare >>>> Allen, i.e. rebounding position, knwoing where to be on the floor, and moving the ball, as mentioned above.

Shaq is a 4th year D-1 player who is fully accustomed to playing D-1 ball. He doesn't have to think about anything- he knows where to be and what to do. Jarrett Allen has major major problems knowing where to be and what to do, and he is having an awful time adjusting to the college game. His ceiling is miles above Cleare's, but as of today I trust Shaq Cleare a helluva lot more than I trust Allen to not make a negative play, and to know his role. Allen just isn't there yet. He's just not.
    We will just agree to disagree. There's no denying that Cleare is more experienced than Allen and probably has a better understanding of the game. That's an issue with almost all Freshman.

But at the end of the day, Cleare has a limited skill set and that mold of player simply doesn't work in today's college game outside of a couple players.

My biggest issue with Shaka so far is he's tried to adjust to the players too much IMO. Cleare doesn't fit what he wants to do, which is why he has to use "havoc" so sparingly at times. I think this team would be much better off if they just went small at the 5 with Allen and played like Shaka did at VCU. This team is much better when they get up and down and score in transition.

IMO one of the biggest detriments to Allen this year is having to play so many minutes with Cleare. For Allen's skill set to truly be maximized he needs to be at the 5 instead of being paired with Cleare.
    Last edited by TexasStrong12; 01-08-2017 at 10:10 PM.

We will just agree to disagree. There's no denying that Cleare is more experienced than Allen and probably has a better understanding of the game. That's an issue with almost all Freshman.

But at the end of the day, Cleare has a limited skill set and that mold of player simply doesn't work in today's college game outside of a couple players.

My biggest issue with Shaka so far is he's tried to adjust to the players too much IMO. Cleare doesn't fit what he wants to do, which is why he has to use "havoc" so sparingly at times. I think this team would be much better off if they just went small at the 5 with Allen and played like Shaka did at VCU. This team is much better when they get up and down and score in transition.

IMO one of the biggest detriments to Allen this year is having to play so many minutes with Cleare. For Allen's skill set to truly be maximized he needs to be at the 5 instead of being paired with Cleare.
    I have to disagree with the use of havoc. I don't think this team can even run it effectively and is more the reason why we don't press more. Not because of the personnel. From a size and athletic standpoint, we should be a killer pressing and zone defense team. But these guys don't understand those concepts, and is why we don't run zone defense or press for long periods. We get beat far too often. The reason havoc works is because it's supposed to create mistakes from the opposing team, and as a by product speed up the tempo for fast break/open court scoring. Yet far too often our press is broken because players aren't in the correct position and it leads to a quick score. I think I detailed it a little more in another post, but man is our best bet.

In regards to Allen at the 5... the sad truth is he'd probably be better there. Simple pick and rolls to the basket or just sitting on the block. And that's really sad. But the offset to that, is we lose valuable rebounding and ball movement without Cleare, which really says a lot about this team. Allen has no clue what to do out their fundamentally or functionally. It's a big task for Shaka because there is just so much to teach him imo. Allen has an aggression and consistency problem. His flashes are great but they are just to few and far between his TOs.

The biggest upgrade next year might not be at PG but with Osetkowski. Getting a legit stretch big will open the offense up so much.

Unfortunately without Isom or Osetkowski this year we still have shooting issues.
    Bingo. Andrew Jones progression at PG is a big key as well

asshat TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT's Avatar
    I think Coleman is enough to keep Shaka. Bamba would make the team fantastic.

You would think Allen has fallen down draft boards at this point. I think he's back

So the home game against ousux is our next realistic chance for a win... We'll likely be on a 5 game losing streak unless a miracle occurs.

I'll be at the game following ousux in Athens against Georgia.

asshat GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas has a gigantic e-peen. GreenspointTexas's Avatar

Someone photoshop "Texas Basketball" over "dog racing."
    Last edited by GreenspointTexas; 01-11-2017 at 10:12 PM.

So I'm really big on the TO to AST ratio. I think it is the biggest problems facing this team.

We rank 83rd in number of TOs. Not too bad really. The problem is we are 318th in Assists. 318!!!!!!! out of 351 $#@!ing teams. We are $#@!ing horrible at passing the ball and getting good shots.

You would think Allen has fallen down draft boards at this point. I think he's back
    WalterFootball still has Allen at 14. Every other updated mock no longer has Allen listed

asshat catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taybo20 View Post
    I have to disagree with the use of havoc. I don't think this team can even run it effectively and is more the reason why we don't press more. Not because of the personnel. From a size and athletic standpoint, we should be a killer pressing and zone defense team. But these guys don't understand those concepts, and is why we don't run zone defense or press for long periods. We get beat far too often. The reason havoc works is because it's supposed to create mistakes from the opposing team, and as a by product speed up the tempo for fast break/open court scoring. Yet far too often our press is broken because players aren't in the correct position and it leads to a quick score. I think I detailed it a little more in another post, but man is our best bet.

In regards to Allen at the 5... the sad truth is he'd probably be better there. Simple pick and rolls to the basket or just sitting on the block. And that's really sad. But the offset to that, is we lose valuable rebounding and ball movement without Cleare, which really says a lot about this team. Allen has no clue what to do out their fundamentally or functionally. It's a big task for Shaka because there is just so much to teach him imo. Allen has an aggression and consistency problem. His flashes are great but they are just to few and far between his TOs.
    We don't havoc because we don't have anywhere near the depth to do so. It's pretty simple in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddyhorn View Post
    We don't havoc because we don't have anywhere near the depth to do so. It's pretty simple in my eyes.
    That is definitely a big factor. But I think it is clear when we pressed last night we got beat down floor. You can watch the tape. We don't try to cut off passes. So even if we had depth it wouldn't matter much. They'd have to show understanding and execution before it would be effective.
    Last edited by taybo20; 01-12-2017 at 09:12 AM.

asshat TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT's Avatar
    This team doesn't seem to have the extra gear to finish off the opposition.

Once the get a 5 point lead with 5 minutes to go, they need to break the other teams will to win.

Anybody would be with as young as the team is. Anybody.

asshat mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost's Avatar
    Well the hits just keep coming.

@LonghornNetwork: Texas sophomore guard/forward and team leading scorer Tevin Mack has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules.
    @LonghornNetwork: Texas coach Shaka Smart: “We have a set of standards that we expect people in our program to adhere to. Tevin has failed to reach them.”
    @mikefinger: Perhaps unrelated, but Tevin Mack tore into teammate Kerwin Roach as time expired in last night's loss to TCU.
    Last edited by mdmost; 01-12-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Soooo 7-12 going into the OU game.... super.

Coleman decides Monday.....

Coleman decides Monday.....
    I am filled with dread.

bunghole Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango grows his own roses Vinyvango's Avatar
    it's just odd how Young can't even seem to catch or pass the ball of late... not to mention making a shot. I was cautiously optimistic about him being a great find early on and now he looks like a panicked kid in the 24-hour fitness league playing against grown ass men. It's also strange that 95% of Banks shots get blocked... it seems like everyone on the team is scared $#@!less about playing... Sure would be nice to have a James Thomas and DJ Augustin to get these kids to grow up... I'd even settle for a Panama Myers and Brandy Perryman.

asshat perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roofle View Post
    If the injury prevents him from being cleared to play for the entirety of the season, yes. A medical redshirt requires the injury to be season-ending. There are some other criteria, but they don't pertain to him, given that he hasn't set foot on the floor yet.
    This season is in the trashcan, trainers may as well shut him down for the season officially so he can be 100% next season

I am filled with dread.
    I'm afraid our $#@!show is gonna scare him off

Let's talk about the 2016-17 Longhorn basketball team

Isom supposed to make his season debut vs Baylor.

Isom supposed to make his season debut vs Baylor.
    He played 3 minutes against WVU, and missed a 3.

Baylor -14

Quote Originally Posted by utgrad97 View Post
    He played 3 minutes against WVU, and missed a 3.
    Well there you go.

asshat DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98 Shaggy Bronze Club DieUCLA98's Avatar
    Coleman picked Texas.

Wow...

From what I've seen of him he's very quick, can shoot off the dribble, and should be able to set his teammates up with plenty of open shots. "I'll have the ball in my hands from day 1." Yes you will Matt. Yes you will.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast