+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the 2016-17 Longhorn basketball team

well,, it hard to say TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie probably preboards planes TexasGangorDie's Avatar

asshat maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack's Avatar
    How do they measure that?

Quote Originally Posted by TexasStrong12 View Post
    If Vanderbilt fires Stallings I would watch out for the name Clevon Brown.

Texas might take a look there. Vanderbilt would have to let him out of his LOI though.
    I'd take the hyphen shooter as well, shot .446 from BTA this season.
    Last edited by utgrad97; 03-16-2016 at 11:06 AM.

bunghole KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81 slams and goes hard. KingBobo81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    I'm interested to know that too. From that article about Smart battling internal politics a few days ago, he seemed dismayed at the academic support structure in place.

Multiple sources told the American-Statesman that Smart was apoplectic after learning how the student services department, previously overseen by Randa Ryan, structured the players’ class schedules. There was more emphasis on players maintaining high grade point averages than actually advancing toward graduation, the sources said.

Nothing angered Smart more than former team captain Jon Holmes’ situation. Holmes entered UT in the summer of 2011, gave the university four seasons and spent three summers taking extra courses — and still didn’t earn a degree.

And Holmes is no academic slouch, either. He was a four-time member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s honor roll.

Holmes said it’s his understanding that he could have graduated last spring had he not left school after last season to prepare for the NBA draft.

Holmes declined to speak in detail about his academics. “I’m graduating this spring with a degree in youth studies and a minor in educational psychology,” he said.

Smart demanded the student services department rearrange the current players’ academic schedules. They were loaded down with classes last summer. On senior night, all five scholarship players were said to be “graduating this May,” according to the public address announcer.

“We had to make some adjustments philosophically to the way some of the academic scheduling was done,” said Smart, who declined to get into specifics. “We’re always going to push for stuff like that for our guys. I don’t know if there’s anything more important than that. If they’re here four years, they need to graduate.”

A couple thoughts about next year.

1) It would not surprise me if Yancy transfers. The 3 FR (Roach, Davis, Mack) were all getting more run this year.
    2) Cleare is a decent player, but not a starting caliber big. Way too slow in this era of basketball. Stretch bigs just abuse him. When other teams see Cleare they immediately go to the pick and roll game.
    3) Which brings me to my next point. We need to find a PFish mold via transfer that can play some 4/5. Someone similar to Mo Allie Cox for VCU. This is something we were desperately lacking this year and what makes Shaka's system go.
    4) I would love for Taylor to return but Texas will be perfectly fine with Andrew Jones and Roach manning the point next year. Of course having Taylor return would be huge as this would allow someone like Roach/Jones to play off the ball.
    5) Eric Davis is this real deal. He hit a FR slump late in the year, but he's a shooter and we need shooters.
    6) We need to sign Jarrett Allen. Even with Allen we need to go get another PFish/C mold via transfer.
    7) If we are looking at other transfers, a slashing wing would be ideal.
    8) I expect us to go much smaller next year. A lot of 4 guard lineups similar to what OU ran at times this year.
    9) There will be a talent upgrade with Davis, Jones, Roach, and Mack stealing minutes from Holland/Felix.
    10) This team can be very good with a PF that can pick, pop and roll. The problem this year was Ibeh setting a lot of screens in the pick and roll game allowed teams to sag off. Getting a PF is critical.
    11) Ibeh/Cleare just didn't give us enough offensively to justify playing big IMO. Ibeh was obviously an asset defensively at times.....but when you are only getting 8 points in a game from your bigs when you are actually a pretty big team, that's a problem. That was kind of the issue this year with the roster. The roster was too overloaded with bigs that can't score (Ibeh/Cleare). Texas was better suited to go small like it did tonight where it played Lammert at the 5. While not ideal, it can work really well if you get a legit mold like Mo Allie Cox.
    12) Texas is fixing to have shooters/scorers on campus. Holland and Yancy just don't have enough juice on the offensive end unfortunately.

asshat Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin's Avatar
    I don't want that sandwich unless you're gonna put avocado on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    By height.

bunghole VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore. VRHorn is a rep whore.
    I have also watched Golden a State play this year. All we need is a shooter like Curry.

I'm not one that gets overly caught up in recruiting rankings, but to a point I think the roster maxed out in terms of talent. Texas had talent no doubt about it, but IMO the current roster was only going to take us so far. Obviously, some of the recruiting rankings below were misses. Some players were undervalued and some players were overvalued. But generally speaking there's a pretty decent baseline average here that gives some gauge of the talent level.

Upperclassmen
    Yancy #109 composite player
    Felix #99
    Holland #258
    Taylor #301
    Lammert #147
    Ibeh #58
    Ridley #20
    Cleare #41

-129.12 national average

Underclassmen/incoming recruits:
    Mack #58 composite player
    Roach #46
    Davis #51
    Banks #64
    Young #100
    Jones #32
    *Allen #23

-53.42 average

From a purely recruiting perspective the underclassmen are a lot more talented than the upperclassmen. Granted, recruiting rankings aren't always accurate. It will be interesting to see how the roster progresses under Shaka. In terms of talent, I think this year's roster probably would have maximized it's talent at about the Sweet 16 level if everything else fell into place (i.e Ridley and Taylor injuries).

asshat catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn's Avatar
    Not having bigs is going to hurt next year. It would be one thing if our young size was super skilled to make up for their lack of brawn but they aren't. It will take a massive effort to just make the tourney next year.

Last edited by catdaddyhorn; 03-19-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddyhorn View Post
    Not having bigs is going to hurt next year. It would be one thing if our young size was super skilled to make up for their lack of brawn but they aren't. It will take a massive effort to just make the tourney next year.

Not if we close with Allen and the English JUCO center. Though I would like for Shaka to find another kid like Mo Alie-Cox.

I wouldn't judge the roster yet. Texas is going to land a transfer or two.

fucktard guadus is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares?
    English JUCO center? who ?

Quote Originally Posted by guadus View Post
    English JUCO center? who ?
    Spoiler!

asshat Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin Shaggy Silver Club Braff Zacklin's Avatar
    I don't want that sandwich unless you're gonna put avocado on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by utgrad97 View Post
    Mo Alie-Cox.
    Not often someone tells you what they want, how much they want, and where they want it just by dropping a name.

Curious how a guy gets from London to Wyoming.

asshat maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack Probably Shaggy upper class maninblack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisApplewhite View Post

Fly fishing is huge in London

asshat formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen. formermav43 has a gigantic e-peen.

Probably by plane.

I don't know but his college's nickname is the Pronghorns so coming to Texas wouldn't be much of an adjustment.

bunghole Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80
    Havoc may not be the best long-term strategy for here at Texas. I would just make sure to get guys who can shoot it. So sick of Barnes recruits with metal hands and no shooting touch. Give me a starting 5 where every one of them can drain the 3 and handle the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelback80 View Post
    Havoc may not be the best long-term strategy for here at Texas. I would just make sure to get guys who can shoot it. So sick of Barnes recruits with metal hands and no shooting touch. Give me a starting 5 where every one of them can drain the 3 and handle the ball.
    yeah cause every college roster is the golden state warriors

asshat RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978's Avatar
    At this point I would be happy for 1 shooter that consistently hits the three.. I hate when you watch 4-5 from northern iowa scorch us and we say he can't play at Texas because he is weak on defense and not athletic yet has no issue guarding any of our players and drops 20 on us..

I don't know how many of you keep up with recruits but Jacob young is better than advertised at the pg position.. He is quick, can shoot and has the ability to take over the game, And obviously Andrew Jones is our next great Texas scoring guard, And I Love that he is 6'4 and can defend bigger guys.. Jones, Roach and EDJ will be a lethal back court next season.

Mike Morrell (Texas assistant) recently started following Dylan Osetkowski and his father. Tulane forward that's transferring. Very mobile big, averaged 11.3 points and 8.3 rebounds for Tulane. Only a Sophomore this year so need to figure out if he's eligible next year.

asshat theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon Shaggy Silver Club theaveragejon's Avatar
    When does Allen OV? And when does Andrew Jones sign?

Quote Originally Posted by theaveragejon View Post
    When does Allen OV? And when does Andrew Jones sign?
    Allen isn't sure if he's going to OV Texas or Kansas for his final OV. Jones is eligible to sign on April 13, 2016.

A couple CB's for Tyson Jolly to Texas.

Recent Cal decommit. Interesting.

asshat catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelback80 View Post
    Judging from Shaka's comments and his roster at VCU it's clear that he values the ability to shoot.

asshat RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978's Avatar
    Jolly would be a nice pickup, 6'4 combo guard.. Wonder if he can shoot? If we get Allen I hope we target another big that can play inside/outside.

bunghole Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80 Camelback80
    Judging from Shaka's comments and his roster at VCU it's clear that he values the ability to shoot.

Good. Even before the Steph Curry Golden State Warriors, there was the Fred Hoiberg 2013 Iowa St. Cyclones with the #1 offense in the nation. Their roster went like this:

Will Clyburn 41 made 3's on the season
    Korie Lucious 68 made 3's on the season
    Melvin Ejim 24 made 3's on the season
    Georges Niang 38 made 3's on the season
    Tyrus McGee 96 made 3's on the season shooting 46% from BTA coming off the bench
    Chris Babb 65 made 3's on the season

For context, our leading 3 point shooter this season was Lammert with 48 3's on the season.

That Cyclone offense was a NIGHTMARE and they lost in the dance to referees on an Aaron Craft Ohio St bull$#@! call in a game played about 30 miles from OSU campus.

Ejim and Niang were the starting BIGS on that team. When your starting forward, starting center, and 6th man are averaging 53 made 3's each on the season (higher than Lammert's 48)... that is not defendable.

Jeff Borzello ‏@jeffborzello 12h12 hours ago
    Tulane transfer Dylan Osetkowski has heard from Texas, Nebraska, Mississippi State, Colorado State and others. 6-foot-9, two years left.

Certified Uncle Tom Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro's Avatar
    Texas assistant coach David Cason's name is being linked to the UT-RGV job along with 3 others.

Is Dylan Osetkowoski any good?

asshat Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis's Avatar
    Is Dylan Osetkowoski any good?

He was close to averaging a double double this year after glancing at his stats. And played 32 min per game. He'd have to sit out a year but basically our entire front court is being depleted. So why not? (from a depth stand point anyways)
    Last edited by Tommy Nobis; 03-24-2016 at 10:27 AM.

I'd rather take guys who will play next year.

Stallings is out at Vandy.

Watch out for Clevon Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by KingBobo81 View Post
    I'm interested to know that too. From that article about Smart battling internal politics a few days ago, he seemed dismayed at the academic support structure in place.
    I love Shaka Smart. The only payment the kids get is the academic opportunity, and the athletic department spends lots of money on tutors and academic advisors. They need to make sure they do everything possible to set the athletes up for successful lives after their basketball careers are over.

4 CBs for Jarrett Allen to Texas today.

Would not be shocked to see a commitment soon.

I'd rather take guys who will play next year.

What determines whether a transfer player can play straight away or has to sit out a year?

asshat Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis Shaggy Gold Club Tommy Nobis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post
    What determines whether a transfer player can play straight away or has to sit out a year?
    Grad transfers don't have to sit out.

Several more CBs for Allen to Texas, including the lead analyst at 247 Jerry Meyer.

http://live-hoopseen.pantheonsite.io.../national/2016

Hoopseen has Andrew Jones as the #9 overall player in the '16 class. Run by Corey Evans, someone I really respect.

Jarrett Allen/Andrew Jones playing on ESPNU right now in the McDonalds All American scrimmage. Allen scored on the first possession.

Jarrett Allen looks legit. Can really run the fast break as a big man.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels 15s15 seconds ago Chicago, IL
    Jarrett Allen has been active & in the right spots early on. Think he has a lot of potential/upside. Has had some bright spots this week.

McDonald All American game is on.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 3m3 minutes ago
    Like Josh Jackson and Jarrett Allen here early. #McDAAG

OB saying he's going to visit Texas.

Jarrett Allen scoring a bunch in the first half, could win MVP here.

Sinner BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC. Shaggy Platinum BurntOrangeSatire, LLC.'s Avatar
    Where nothing grows in the right direction
    OB saying he's going to visit Texas.
    2015-16:
    PTs - 11.3
    FGM/FGA - 4.1-9.5
    FG % - .438%
    3P - 27%
    Reb - 8.3
    Ast. - 1.6

Shot .507% from the floor and .500% from 3 in 2014-15.

Certified Uncle Tom Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro Shaggy Silver Club Pancho Negro's Avatar
    Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownHD 1h1 hour ago
    #Longhorns @TexasMBB also finalizing H-and-H w/ #Bama - in Austin Dec 12 - return gm in Tuscaloosa either Dec 2017 or Jan 2018, HD confirmed

Chip Brown ‏@ChipBrownHD 5h5 hours ago
    Last yr, China - this yr @TexasMBB headed to @barclayscenter for Legends Classic Nov 21-22 w/ @NDmbb @CUBasketball and @NorthwesternU

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast