+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about the 2016-17 Longhorn basketball team

asshat TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
    No, you have to understand your own behavior. He asked a question that could have been answered simply and without drama. You chose not to do so. His question did not attack you, didn't even attack Barnes.

You chose to react wildly. You turned the thread to $#@!. Nobody else. You.
    I blame Rick Barnes.

asshat TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser's Avatar
    I got excited a few minutes ago. I saw over a dozen new replies since the non-conf. schedule was released on here and thought, "Cool, people are already breaking down the teams on our slate and bringing some analysis on the schedule and how it'll all shake out next year." So I clicked in straight away to start reading the breakdowns.

Yeah, no...

Quote Originally Posted by Derka Derka View Post
    The amount of $#@! I've gotten over Jartett Allen, plus the fact that I'm a big polar lunatic going through a very very tough time right now, is causing me some $#@!ing consternation.
    Just a suggestion, to be taken with a large grain of salt, but it is offered sincerely: you know you're going to have rough patches, so when things are going well, why not make the extra effort to not react so strongly to pushback? Build goodwill. Bank it -- you will get to use it later, like a camel banks whatever it is they bank in their humps. (Weird metaphor.) A lot of people here admire your zeal, your fanaticism, and your dedication, so why not accept that and try to nurture those things when you can so that when $#@! goes south the lows (around here) aren't so bad?

I may regret posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjazz View Post
    Regarding the schedule -- I agree, it's clear from listening to Texas coaches over the years that they generally have a strong hand in scheduling. I don't know how anyone could interpret otherwise. Personally, I think this new schedule is very smart -- there are few dregs to pull down RPI, but there aren't many (any?) teams that are almost sure losses. I think we stand a better chance of having a stronger record against a similar RPI, although I admit I haven't dug into the numbers.
    That's fair. I honestly don't know much about the scheduling process. I figured the coaches would have input and then the athletic department would be the ones that work out logistics.

As for RPI, I'm not worried. The Big 12 will help there. Also, as I posted above there doesn't seem like many RPI 200+ teams on the schedule which have hurt Texas in the past.

asshat TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT has a gigantic e-peen. TheGOAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    I got excited a few minutes ago. I saw over a dozen new replies since the non-conf. schedule was released on here and thought, "Cool, people are already breaking down the teams on our slate and bringing some analysis on the schedule and how it'll all shake out next year." So I clicked in straight away to start reading the breakdowns.

Yeah, no...
    BHAHAHAHA you've been Derka'd! along with this thread.

Seriously when is the first loss?

Notre Dame

or can the team make it to December against Michigan?

asshat TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser's Avatar
    Well, we'll be playing Notre Dame in New York which is essentially a home game for them (they were 24-12 in a very salty ACC with a 31RPI), and @ Michigan who was 23-13 with a 57RPI . And finally @ Georgia who 20-14 with a 62RPI. I'd say we lose at least 1 of those road games against some solid opponents, two at the most. Our usual RPI boost from SoS won't be so generous this year, so 11-2 in non-conf. play is imperative, if not 12-1.

FYI: Georgia brings back 3/5 starters, Notre Dame 3/5 starters, and Michigan 4/5 starters.
    Last edited by TheCruiser; 07-21-2016 at 02:26 PM.

asshat catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn's Avatar
    Do you really think he had nothing to do with the schedule? I mean, it's public knowledge that the reason we used to play Sparty every year is because Izzo and Barnes are friends who made it a point to play each other. Same with Roy at UNC.

But I'm so very very sorry for bringing up Rick Barnes out of absolutely nowhere, just totally out of left field. You know me, always going out of my way to talk about that guy. I mean what are the odds that the guy who coached here for 18 years would ever be genetically brought up in a UT basketball forum?

Jesus $#@!ing Christ
    Yeah basketball is the one team sport where I expect coaches to have full autonomy in scheduling. I'm hoping this bit of down scheduling is a 1-time or infrequent thing due to how young we are.

Banned Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789 Tailleur1789
    $#@! Rick Barnes. We have a new and far better coach now.

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddyhorn View Post
    Yeah basketball is the one team sport where I expect coaches to have full autonomy in scheduling. I'm hoping this bit of down scheduling is a 1-time or infrequent thing due to how young we are.
    So far people seem to think we'll be around 10-3 going into conference play.

bunghole KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards is a rep whore. KeithRichards's Avatar
    Good thread. Would read again.

Rick Barnes is a $#@!ty coach. Pretty good recruiter tho

asshat Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog Shaggy Platinum Underdog's Avatar
    When's Trouble Going To Find Me, I Ain't Hard To Find...
    I take it Texas and Michigan have a H&H going?

I think it's a good schedule, giving Smart a punchers chance to further establish his footprint on the program and not having to deal with the bull$#@! schedule he was dealt with last season.

Might have to look into the Brooklyn games.

Yep, Michigan coming back here in December of 2017. Brooklyn deal looks fun as $#@!. We went to a few Legends Classics years ago. Weather is decent, you can stick around for Thanksgiving festivities in NYC. Great field in Colorado, Northwestern, and Notre Dame. All respectable opponents but all beatable. None of their fanbases are belligerent $#@!s. And Monday game being at 9:30p-EST, you can get in a full day or New York, then a great dinner, then still take in the game. Tuesday games are kinda weird, I guess for holiday travel TV purposes.

Banned Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum

Banned Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum Derka Derka Shaggy Platinum
    Set your DVR's people...

Let's talk about the 2016-17 Longhorn basketball team

Show started. Every time I remember that Darrin Horn is one of our assistants I just shake my head at how fortunate we are. You have to think that as long as Shaka has continued success at Texas that Horn's name will be coming up for head coaching jobs in the next few years. I really like our staff.
    Last edited by Derka Derka; 08-01-2016 at 07:27 PM.

asshat AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman's Avatar
    Fro Bros

Oh my God I am so pumped. Watching this practice is just awesome. The pace of everything is out of this world.

Kerwin Roach just referred to Andrew Jones as "Me 2.0".

The juxtaposition of James Banks's primal screams followed by Jarrett Allen's low-key, monotone voice is too funny.

Everyone is gushing over Jarrett Allen. They showed a clip of Shaq dunking all over Allen in the beginning, but Shaq probably gushed over Allen's size/talent more than anyone. He's certainly a special athlete.

asshat AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman Shaggy Gold Club AbeFroman's Avatar
    I'm digging the energy Banks brings, love it. And Jacob Young really has some on court mannerisms that look like his dad.

"Make no mistake about it- our number one goal for these guys as players is for them to develop and get better and play in the NBA; that's Coach Smart's number one thing."

-Darrin Horn

asshat burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15 Shaggy Bronze Club burntorangeblooded15's Avatar
    I can dig it. Loads of talent.

Should be a hell of a year.

I missed it. Dammit

James Banks: "What was the highlight of last year?"

Tevin Mack: "You already know that, I don't know why you would even ask that question."

Kerwin Roach: "The number one moment was when we beat North Carolina."

JB to Andrew Jones: "Drew, did the outcome of that game have anything to do with your commitment to Texas?"

Andrew Davis: "Yes it did! I committed that night! (everyone laughs) "I committed that night! I was lit! I was like' 'Oh yeah, this where I need to be."

Jarrett Allen on the workouts: "It's a little tough because I've never lifted weights before."

We got some athletes on this team. It's the return of the Runnin' Horns y'all.

asshat calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore. calien is a rep whore.
    Looking forward to the UTA rematch. If healthy they should give Texas a run. Good opportunity to replay Roach posterizing Bilbao again though.

The lack of replies in this thread is depressing. Last night was our first real look at our new team and apparently 5 people watched. Super.

"Make no mistake about it- our number one goal for these guys as players is for them to develop and get better and play in the NBA; that's Coach Smart's number one thing."

-Darrin Horn
    Not all that different than what Rick Barnes used to say, although the delivery was probably a bit more palatable. (Personally, I don't have a problem with it from either guy.)

Not all that different than what Rick Barnes used to say, although the delivery was probably a bit more palatable. (Personally, I don't have a problem with it from either guy.)
    It's got to be good for recruiting. And from the looks of it, Shaka and staff know how to recruit. Which reminds me, something that sort of caught me off guard from the show last night was how aware the guys were as to *why* Jai Lucas got promoted, and that everyone was so open about it as to put it on the show. M

For those who didn't see, the show mentioned Jai Lucas becoming an assistant, and then it cut to one of our players saying, "that name holds a lot of clout in recruiting; in Dallas, in Houston, everywhere." I thought that was interesting.

asshat catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? catdaddyhorn's Avatar
    I imagine that after Darrin Horn or David Cason get an HC job Shaka will promote Mike Morrell back to a full assistant role. I'm excited about this roster, but a bit wary due to how young we are. Roach, Mack, and Davis are going to have to hit the ground running to start and allow the freshmen to adapt to D1 basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddyhorn View Post
    I imagine that after Darrin Horn or David Cason get an HC job Shaka will promote Mike Morrell back to a full assistant role.
    I really hope so. It really sucks for a young coach like Coach Morrell to be demoted for a guy even younger than he is. This, after getting a pretty huge promotion less than a year prior to the demotion. Gotta be tough on him. Hope he gets his spot back as soon as he can. He's really well liked by his players as well, which sucks for both parties. Last year he had his own group of guys (I want to say he had the guards), and now he's lost that.
    Last edited by Derka Derka; 08-02-2016 at 03:38 PM.

My guess at the starting lineup today:

Jones
    Roach
    Davis
    Shaq
    Allen

Before watching this I was a little worried about the youth of the team, but I like this team more and more, the more I see of them. Definite athletic upgrade compared to last year overall. Very curious to see what Jones will do at the point. We haven't had a guy that skilled in a while.

Looks like it's back on at 3 pm tomorrow on LHN

Quote Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
    Before watching this I was a little worried about the youth of the team, but I like this team more and more, the more I see of them. Definite athletic upgrade compared to last year overall. Very curious to see what Jones will do at the point. We haven't had a guy that skilled in a while.
    Jones is going to be the fan favorite this year. Such an exciting player in the open floor, and when he and Roach get on the break- watch out.

asshat Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer's Avatar
    That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
    We got some athletes on this team. It's the return of the Runnin' Horns y'all.
    I really don't think we're gonna see scorers quite like BMW, but they will definitely be Runnin'. I'm excited about the defense; Shaka did well last year with the pieces he had, but it didn't always look exactly like what he was trying to do at VCU. I will be stunned, though, if Texas isn't at or near the top in virtually every ball-hawk defensive category next year, esp. blocks and steals.

it's been a couple years since I've done more than one or two games a season. What's the parking like now with Dell Med Center up and running?

asshat Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five Shaggy Gold Club Red Five's Avatar

The lack of replies in this thread is depressing. Last night was our first real look at our new team and apparently 5 people watched. Super.
    I watched it. And I doubt everyone else that watched it necessarily came here to post about it.

Roach
    Jones
    Yancy
    Allen
    Banks

Imo
    Last edited by Red Five; 08-02-2016 at 11:28 PM.

My guess at the starting lineup today:

Jones
    Roach
    Davis
    Shaq
    Newsome
    Fify

Quote Originally Posted by Red Five View Post
    I watched it. And I doubt everyone else that watched it necessarily came here to post about it.

Roach
    Jones
    Yancy
    Allen
    Banks

Imo
    I could see this being the starting lineup but with Shaq and Banks getting equal minutes. This lineup definitely runs better, but it seems clear that Shaq has a place in the rotation as well.

Damn, looking at it more you're probably right. That's so much height, length, athleticism, and defense. Shaka is building one of his Havoc teams but with even more highly ranked recruits. We are going to be fun to watch for a long time.

I loved watching Barnes's tough teams, and I loved the way he rebounded, blocked, defended, and had a reputation as the toughest team in the conference, but I grew up watching the BMW Runnin' Horns, and this squad looks a lot like a modern version of those rosters. I can't wait to see how this team grows over the next two seasons. I think we're a scary tourney team this year and a final 4 contender in 2018.
    Last edited by Derka Derka; 08-02-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Nothing against Barnes & Brown, but to me it says something that our current basketball and football coaches are in fantastic shape for their age and in some areas can compete with elite D1 athletes. Loved watching Shaka tell the team he was gonna make it close to the top of their 3rd workout chart. I don't think anyone figured differently.

Nothing against Barnes & Brown, but to me it says something that our current basketball and football coaches are in fantastic shape for their age and in some areas can compete with elite D1 athletes. Loved watching Shaka tell the team he was gonna make it close to the top of their 3rd workout chart. I don't think anyone figured differently.
    It's seriously badass. Both guys are just impressive people, and their physical abilities are certainly a part of that. Shaka has to have made quite the impression on the uncommitted guys playing for him in the FIBA games.

bunghole SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. SpringBranchLonghorn's Avatar
    This team needs shooters. I think that if Young produces as a scorer off the bench then this team can be really good

Davis, Isom, and Young are knock-down shooters, plus Kerwin and Jones will be see viable shooters who have hot nights. We actually have a pretty decent among of shooting, not to mention Roach and Jones's all-around scoring ability and athleticism.

I watched it and drank up all the koolaid. I spoke with a couple of people at St. Stephens and they were not impressed with Allens effort but I think Shaka is the exact coach to change that effort. You have to think that the Team USA time has helped the fro bros grow and will help this team tremendously.

bunghole Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg is a rep whore. Dogleg's Avatar
    Damn this team is going to fun to watch this season. Love how it seems ALL the players get along well with one another; definitely a bit different than most of our squads the last 5 years or so.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast