+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Detectorists Season 2 + Christmas Special (Metal Detecting, Middle-Aged Guys)

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar

Detectorists Season 2 + Christmas Special (Metal Detecting, Middle-Aged Guys)

Season 2 has been out on in the UK for several months, and just popped up on Acorn TV. Acorn TV has Roku and AppleTV apps, or you can watch it (Acorn TV) through Amazon. There is a 7-day trial, and Acorn is $5 a month, and worth it for Time Team alone (Time Team is damned awesome). It will make it's way to Netflix, I believe this summer, but if you can't wait, Acorn TV.

Like Season 1, there are 6 episodes in Season 2, each running slightly less than 30 minutes, so you can binge-watch it in an evening. There's also a making-of (don't watch that one first, it has HUGE spoilers).

If you're not familiar with it, it's written and directed by the guy on the right (yes, he's from Pirates of the Caribbean and from the UK version of The Office). It's won a bunch of awards.

It's mainly a buddy movie about middle-aged guys who are into metal detecting, with awesome writing and an awesome secondary cast. There is swearing, but no nudity.

Trailer (Season 1 - the Season 2 trailer has some spoilers):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgN7z0SD8v8

Simon and Garfunkel are their main antagonists at times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hFadNEITqY

There is lemonade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9SXhs1Pogc

There is (breast) milk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3XG3cE1vEU

And there is even a trampoline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwWv6UphTWM

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    I have not seen the Christmas Special (which is set right after Episode 6 of Season 2), but I have a general idea from the trailer for it.

Also, no word on Season 3, as he hasn't decided, but the BBC wants it, and everybody else does as well.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    i love this series so much, hope they have a third season

asshat TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR's Avatar
    Love this show. A 3rd season would be great but not sure where they can go from where things left off.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    Life mimics art. A huge Roman villa was just discovered near Bath. Workers were running power to an old barn and uncovered a mosaic. No mention if they have the gold curse now.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/17/eu...ire/index.html

Love the show.

So can you watch Season 2 on Amazon Prime? Not sure I understood OP. Don't want another subscription I'd have to track.

Quote Originally Posted by DDD Dad View Post
    So can you watch Season 2 on Amazon Prime? Not sure I understood OP. Don't want another subscription I'd have to track.
    it's currently only available through Acorn TV (British company that shows British TV shows to Americans/etc. before Netflix/etc. get them).

There is a 7-day trial: https://signup.acorn.tv/

You can watch Acorn through a Roku/AppleTV/other devices that support Acorn, or watch it through the Acorn.tv website.

If you want to watch it on TV, but your device doesn't support Acorn, but does support Amazon, you can go through Amazon (including the free trial from what it looks like).

Quote Originally Posted by kevwun View Post
    Life mimics art. A huge Roman villa was just discovered near Bath. Workers were running power to an old barn and uncovered a mosaic. No mention if they have the gold curse now.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/17/eu...ire/index.html

Love the show.
    When I heard about that, my first thought was "damn, wish Time Team was stilling going and they had covered that."

Acorn has 100+ episodes of Time Team up. There are 280 episodes in total (it ran from 1994 - 2014). Some are on YouTube, but it seems like a crapshoot as to whether they get pulled by the BBC/ITV/whoever.

Time Team is an archaeological show, where they have a large team who does exploratory digs in areas where people believe there is something, based on the terrain or certain geographic features, or people have found items (including items found by detectorists).

It is actually the inspiration for Detectorists - Mackenzie Crook was a fan of the show, and wondered what the people in the background standing there with metal detectors were talking about (the detectorists help the archaeologists work over the dirt that has been excavated and dumped to the side, looking for coins and other metal items). And they reference Time Team within Detectorists.
    Last edited by AtomHeartBevo; 04-18-2016 at 11:50 PM.

asshat Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo Shaggy Platinum Soul Glo's Avatar
    You learn that on day 1 at metal detector school.

Season 2 is up on Netflix, but the Christmas Special is not (nor is it on Acorn yet).

And the BBC has done a good job of keeping the special off of YouTube.

As NOMAAA pointed out i the Netflix thread, the Christmas special is episode 7 of Season 2.

Maybe the last, but hopefully not. Read an article from several months ago that said they will probably decide later this year or early spring. They normally film over the summer, so any new episodes wouldn't air until a year from now.

Which sucks.

Can't wait to get to this. SWMBO wants to wait until next week to start though.

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    Just a couple of eps into season 2.

Really clever show.

Not sure I like the final scene of series 1 and first scene of series 2.

More importantly, Toby Jones looks like bob newharts reflection in a funhouse mirror, and some of his acting reminds of Newharts timing and delivery as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    More importantly, Toby Jones looks like bob newharts reflection in a funhouse mirror, and some of his acting reminds of Newharts timing and delivery as well.
    Jones reminds me more of Leslie Nielsen - originally known as a "serious actor", but because of that, he has great timing and delivery which lends itself to this kind of writing/comedy.

As for the end of series 1, let me guess, you didn't like that they ended it while the gold was within their grasp?

asshat Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death probably preboards planes Duck of Death's Avatar
    I don't like that the audience knows it's down there. I'd rather it remain a mystery to us just like it is to the characters.

asshat TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR Definitely Shaggy upper class TOR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    I don't like that the audience knows it's down there. I'd rather it remain a mystery to us just like it is to the characters.
    Is it really down there? Or are Andy and Lance just fantasizing about Saxon Gold. Or have Simon and Garfunkel already found it? Or is Sophie really a gypsy working for the Peaky Blinders.

Was part of it to show that his wife knew her $#@! and correctly deducted where the burial would be at?

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-...es-three-plans

Actor Toby Jones has revealed that plans are afoot for a third series of hit BBC4 comedy Detectorists.

The actor told the Chris Evans Breakfast Show on BBC Radio 2 that creator Mackenzie Crook was considering how to continue the metal detecting comedy.

"I think there is now a chance that that may come to pass," he said when Evans asked him about Detectorists series three. "Mackenzie [Crook] was talking about how that may happen. It’s not 100 per cent, but I think there’s a chance of it."

$#@!. Yes.

asshat mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong Shaggy Platinum mileslong's Avatar
    man i love this show so much, can't wait for season 3...if they did nothing but show them detecting and the Danebury Metal Detecting Club i would love it.

Terry cracks me up so much...

Racheal Stirling (Becky) is absolutely terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Racheal Stirling (Becky) is absolutely terrific.
    Or "Diana Rigg's daughter" as I like to call her. The apple did not fall far from that tree.

Mother:

and daughter:

• + Reply to Thread