+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool 2016-2017: aKloppalypse Now

asshat 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes2702 View Post
    Think of it this way, Troy Deeney is going to go for £20 million plus in all likelihood. £30 million is not a massive amount these days especially for a move within this same league. You're saying for £30 million we should get a worldie but there is no chance we could get an elite level winger for that price.
    You're not wrong that prices are insanely inflated, and finding value on proven players is almost impossible. But the BBC is saying the price is £34M rising to £36M; Julian Draxler went from Schalke to Wolfsburg last year for £36M. Mane is more EPL-proven, for whatever that is worth, but Draxler is 22 years old and has virtually limitless potential.

And hey, I'm happy to get a guy who can score from the wing, with speed to burn, who already knows the league and who our manager wants. When he was basically set to go to United, I was pissed, so I should be stoked that we're signing him. As our marquee signing though, for a damn near club record fee, I guess I'd expect a little more, unrealistic as that may be.

asshat Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn's Avatar
    "Club record fees" are going to be shattered left, right and center across every level of English football the next 24 months.

bunghole T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog's Avatar
    Yeah, the TV money is about to skyrocket, plus the new 10,000 seats will bring in even more revenue. That helps soften the blow of no Europe.

The argument I've seen for Mane is that he'll fit well in the gegenpress. That's better than signing Benteke and Balotelli and having no clue what to do with them.

asshat hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 406W30th View Post
    You're not wrong that prices are insanely inflated, and finding value on proven players is almost impossible. But the BBC is saying the price is £34M rising to £36M; Julian Draxler went from Schalke to Wolfsburg last year for £36M. Mane is more EPL-proven, for whatever that is worth, but Draxler is 22 years old and has virtually limitless potential.

And hey, I'm happy to get a guy who can score from the wing, with speed to burn, who already knows the league and who our manager wants. When he was basically set to go to United, I was pissed, so I should be stoked that we're signing him. As our marquee signing though, for a damn near club record fee, I guess I'd expect a little more, unrealistic as that may be.

There is no chance that we could get Draxler for that. English clubs will have to pay more because everyone knows how much they are making. Not only that but Draxler is not a great comparison as they are entirely different players. Draxler is much more similar to Coutinho and Lallana than Mane.

asshat maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Dog View Post
    The argument I've seen for Mane is that he'll fit well in the gegenpress. That's better than signing Benteke and Balotelli and having no clue what to do with them.
    Echo reporting Rodgers declined to bring Mane to Liverpool two years ago.

bunghole T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog is a rep whore. T-Dog's Avatar

asshat maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack's Avatar

asshat YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu Shaggy Gold Club YoLaDu's Avatar
    guitar starts spinning, rock and roll starts winning
    Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    ugh, Southampton is going to miss Mane so much. Such a dynamic player.

Congratulations, you guys. Sucks that the club couldn't hold on to him, but he was going to jump ship for a club that can pay higher wages one way of the other. They had to cash in now.

Southampton bought him for £11.8 million - Sold him for £34.5 million 22 months later.

If Southampton had waited until next summer to sell they would have gotten £15 million less for him. But then again Southampton could have threatened the top 4 next season with him. Sigh.

Will be very difficult for Southampton to replace his production. He would have been Liverpool's top league goal scorer if you had him last year.

A great 2 years! Now you get 4 years to enjoy him! Jealous.

asshat mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost's Avatar
    He'll be on the USA tour. Excited to see him in Pasadena. End of July can't get here soon enough.

Skrtel decided to get a parting shot in going out the door and called Klopp a $#@!head on an Instagram post.

Glad that loser is gone. Players like him and Lucas represent an era of mediocrity at the club I hope we never see again.

asshat Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn's Avatar
    Those Sadio Mane highlights made me realize how $#@!ty Skrtel has become.

asshat CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel's Avatar
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.
    Skrtel decided to get a parting shot in going out the door and called Klopp a $#@!head on an Instagram post.

Glad that loser is gone. Players like him and Lucas represent an era of mediocrity at the club I hope we never see again.
    Yeah. Skrtel is awful. I wonder how we'd feel about Waffles if he had a better group of CB's?

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    Yeah. Skrtel is awful. I wonder how we'd feel about Waffles if he had a better group of CB's?
    He'd be better because it's a system but all the same tendencies that make us cringe would still be there. I'm hoping Karius makes quick work of him in the preseason.

Waffles looking like a flightless bird wouldn't change if he had prime Franz Beckenbauer and Paolo Maldini in front of him.

On Sadio Mané

This could be a very short article. It won't be, because I can't help myself, but this seems quite simple.

Liverpool need a wide player who can add goals. Liverpool need a more direct attacker, a fast attacker who can stretch defenses and run in behind defenders. Liverpool need that attacker to be flexible: to be comfortable on either flank or centrally. Liverpool need that player to fit into Liverpool's current system: specifically, the ability to press from the front, to work non-stop both with and without the ball.

Sadio Mané is every single one of those things. Pay no attention to the fee. Pay no attention to the club he's coming from. They're incidental.

Mané is 24, two months older than Coutinho, six months younger than Firmino. He scored 15 goals last season, more than any Liverpool player, with 11 in the Premier League last season, also more than any Liverpool player. And I suspect you remember that four of those goals came against Liverpool.

Only eight players have scored 10-or-more league goals in the last two Premier League seasons: Sergio Agüero, Diego Costa, Olivier Giroud, Harry Kane, Romelu Lukaku, Graziano Pelle, Alexis Sanchez, and Sadio Mané.

Liverpool need goals.

There's a bit of almost everything in his goals last season. He runs behind defenders, he twists away from defenders, he poaches. He gets on the end of throughballs and crosses and second balls. He gets into the penalty box, from all angles. Seven right-footed, six left-footed, two headers. All except his first goal of the season, in a Europa League qualifier against Vitesse Arnhem (which, for some reason, isn't in the above video) came from inside the box.

Statistically, everything's good (if not great) except Mané's passing and possession loss, and more than comparable to Liverpool's current first-choice attackers. But one thing stands out.

Partly by design, partly because of the way defenses lined up against Liverpool, and partly because of the players involved, Liverpool took too many shots from outside the box last season. 290 of Liverpool's 629 shots in the league came from outside the box (46.1%), but only 13 of Liverpool's 63 goals. Unsurprisingly, Coutinho was the worst offender.

That's not where Mané shoots from. 76.7% of his 86 Premier League shots – and all 11 of his goals – came from inside the box, a vastly higher proportion that any of Liverpool's attacking midfielders. That's exactly the type of player that Liverpool needed to add this summer.

Admittedly, Mané's chance creation is concerning. He's not far behind Coutinho, Lallana, or Firmino's assists per 90 minutes, but his key passes and throughballs are vastly lower, as is his successful passes per 90. However, Mané's not necessarily there to create. He wasn't for Southampton, and he probably won't be for Liverpool. He's the one who gets on the end of throughballs from Coutinho, Firmino, and Lallana.

The possession loss is less concerning, a combined metric of unsuccessful touches and being dispossessed by the opposition. That's the price of being a tricky dribbler who wants to run with the ball, and it's still not much worse than Coutinho or Lallana, and barely better than Firmino.

It was too easy for defenses to sit deep against Liverpool last season. Drop into the defensive third, get in front of Coutinho, Lallana, and Firmino, and just stifle the hell out of the match. All three of those attackers are very good players who I like having at Liverpool, but it was too easy to frustrate them, with the end result too many shots from distance and too few goals scored. That's why Origi was so valuable upon returning from injury, that's why Sheyi Ojo got games at the end of the campaign. Mané simply makes it much, much harder for defenses to play that way.

Right now, it seems most likely that Mané replaces Lallana in the starting XI. Which is amusing, as Mané was signed to replace Lallana at Southampton. It's the circle of life. But make no mistake, Lallana will start games. There will be injuries, and even without Europe, there will be cup matches. Lallana proved himself a vital part of Klopp's system over the second half of the season with his pressing and combination play and work rate. Liverpool still need that. Lallana's biggest failing was his lack of goals. This signing's meant to remedy that.

Plus, it's not as if Mané always has to play on the right. He played centrally and on the right for Southampton last season, and mainly on the right in 2014-15, but often features on the left for Senegal, which is also where he usually played when at Red Bull Salzburg. He's right-footed, but scores with both feet. He can play anywhere along Liverpool's line of three attackers, on either flank if Liverpool play 4-3-3, in the hole or as a striker if Liverpool play 4-Diamond-2, or as a false nine as Firmino did last season.

Goals, pace, pressing, versatility. That's why I don't care about the fee, and that's why I don't care what club Liverpool bought him from.

But yes, the Southampton jokes are inevitable. Five players. Somewhere around £95-100m in transfer fees over the last three years. Yes, it's weird. Yes, it's very easy to mock. Just take the players and the deals individually. Clyne was excellent last season. Lallana probably cost too much, but has become a valuable player under Klopp. Lovren's slowly become a competent defender and will almost certainly be first-choice next season. Lambert was a bad signing, but for what, £4.5m? Whatever. For the most part, these have been okay to decent to actually good signings.

And there's the fee, and the "Premier League-proven" gripe. They're overpriced. They don't always settle quicker than players from foreign leagues. Buying from mid-table sides makes you a mid-table club. Again, there's a bit of truth to it. But there's also the fact that prices have skyrocketed, both domestically and internationally, thanks to the new TV deal, and that Liverpool don't have the allure of Champions League football next season.

Maybe Sadio Mané's not one of the "big names" that fans want to see signed. He's not coming from a foreign league. He's not Mario Götze. Which is too bad, but Mario Götze didn't want to come to Liverpool. So be it.

The alpha and the omega of this transfer is that Sadio Mané brings qualities to the Liverpool squad that Liverpool desperately lacked last season. Sadio Mané meshes with Liverpool's current style and system.

Sadio Mané fits.

asshat CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel's Avatar

Dahoud appears stuck for one more season. Not too jazzed up about Zielinski. Not a bad player but I don't see him doing anything other than letting us sell Allen at the moment. I don't think he replaces Hendo or Milner next to Can and I'm really not sure how high his ceiling is. Looks like we're going to find out though based on the way things are going.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    We could have the Arsenal invincibles on the backline and Migs would still fudge-up a back pass per match.

asshat 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th's Avatar
    Dahoud appears stuck for one more season. Not too jazzed up about Zielinski. Not a bad player but I don't see him doing anything other than letting us sell Allen at the moment. I don't think he replaces Hendo or Milner next to Can and I'm really not sure how high his ceiling is. Looks like we're going to find out though based on the way things are going.
    I'd prefer we keep Allen and wait until next summer to buy Dahoud, rather than Zielinski this year, though I guess you want to strike while the iron's hot and sell the Welshman after a good Euro.

Most of all I'd rather we break the bank and buy Dahoud this year.

Quote Originally Posted by 406W30th View Post
    I'd prefer we keep Allen and wait until next summer to buy Dahoud, rather than Zielinski this year, though I guess you want to strike while the iron's hot and sell the Welshman after a good Euro.

Most of all I'd rather we break the bank and buy Dahoud this year.
    I saw a report that we offered 25+M to them and were rebuffed. Not sure I believe that though. A player I'd love to see us go in on is Leon Goretzka from Schalke. Really like that kid.

asshat hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hobbes2702's Avatar
    I saw a report that we offered 25+M to them and were rebuffed. Not sure I believe that though. A player I'd love to see us go in on is Leon Goretzka from Schalke. Really like that kid.
    Agree. Very versatile and I would love to see him here

asshat DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander's Avatar
    Best news of the off-season. At the moment, it appears we have nobody at the Olympics (would miss beginning of season):

Having been left out of Brazil’s preliminary Olympics squad, it seemed a safe bet that Roberto Firmino would get to spend a full pre-season at Liverpool this summer. With Brazil’s uncertain management situation and the risk of injuries that could force a change before the final squad was announced, he wasn’t 100% safe.

At least not until today, as Brazil have released their final Olympics squad, and as expected, Firmino isn’t anywhere to be found on it. Neither is compatriot Philippe Coutinho, who in theory at least could have been called on to represent his country again despite his involvement in the Copa America Centenario this summer.

With Firmino officially safe from being called up, all that’s left now for Liverpool fans is to wait for final confirmation from Germany that Loris Karius won’t be included as an overage player in the German squad—though he isn’t expected to be and is expected to report for pre-season training at his new club on Saturday.

Despite being rated the second-best goalkeeper in the Bundesliga last season, reports earlier in the month had Karius behind Timo Horn, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, and Bernd Leno in Germany’s Olympic plans, and nothing since has suggested a change in thinking. As with Firmino, though, fans will be eager to have that made official.

No other Liverpool first team players are considered likely to be called up for their country’s Olympics squads, something that would mean missing the second half of pre-season as well as at least the first three weeks of the season.

Hoping the Subotic rumors are true...

asshat mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost's Avatar
    Benteke to Crystal Place?

Report: Christian Benteke agrees personal terms with Crystal Palace, £25 million bid made
    NewsRumour MillThis Is Anfield on 01.07.2016

Striker Christian Benteke has reportedly agreed personal terms with Crystal Palace as Liverpool look to recoup as much of the £32.5 million they spent on him a year ago.

EDIT: Paul Joyce of the Express reports that Palace have made a £25 million bid for Benteke, and are now “waiting for a response.”

Benteke has been linked with a move to Palace this week and the Eagles have today signed Newcastle United winger Andros Townsend and Marseille goalkeeper Steve Mandanda.

Alan Pardew’s side desperately need a new forward, with the Eagles that desperate they signed Emanuel Adebayor in January.

A report in the Mail on Friday evening claims Benteke has agreed to the personal terms on offer from the Selhurst Park club, but Liverpool are holding out for close to £30 million for the Belgium international.

The Reds signed Benteke from Aston Villa last summer but he’s never looked suited to the style of play at Anfield and fell down the strikers pecking order after Jurgen Klopp‘s arrival.

Benteke finds himself behind Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi, Roberto Firmino and likely Danny Ings in Klopp’s options.

Liverpool are hoping to recoup most of the £30 million spent on Sadio Mane when they offload Benteke – the club’s most expensive ever signing.

A move to Palace would seemingly suit all parties.

Ings + $$$$ > Benteke

asshat longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude's Avatar
    Take the £25 million bid (if true) and be done with it.....

Quote Originally Posted by longhorndude View Post
    Take the £25 million bid (if true) and be done with it.....
    I'm actually pretty confident in a world where Chandler $#@!ing Parsons gets max contract that we can get £30M for Benteke

asshat longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude's Avatar
    Well I agree the NBA $ right now is silly, we just don't have a lot of leverage to hold out. Every team knows he has no place under Klopp and for us is a waste of a roster spot. I'm actually surprised the (supposed) bid is that high.

We have the leverage. He's not in the last year of his contract and still is a viable striker. I joke and say I'd sell him for a happy meal but in all honesty I won't be surprised when someone ponies up the asked 30M.

We should absolutely do this. Give this kid Lucas' wages, Porto what they need and be done with it.

Liverpool Target Ruben Neves Reportedly Available for €20M

If the rumours are true, Liverpool should bid now and ask questions later.

In January, Liverpool were heavily linked with FC Porto midfielder Ruben Neves, one of the most talented young players in the game, but at the time the speculation was that it would take at least €40M to pry the 19-year-old away from his boyhood club.

Now, though, according to a report in Diáio de Notícias, that asking price has just been cut in half thanks to Porto’s need to sell assets or risk running afoul of financial fair play regulations. Further, they claim at least one English club is interested and that negotiations for the player are ongoing.

While the Portuguese paper don’t name the interested English club, they do remind everybody that Jürgen Klopp and Liverpool have in the past shown an interest in the player. And if that interest ever had any truth to it, it would be difficult to imagine Liverpool wouldn’t be interested now.

Neves is part of a golden generation of young Portuguese midfielders, a tactically and technically canny player with all the tools to become a star. He has the versatility to line up alongside either Emre Can or Jordan Henderson in a double-pivot. He has already captained his side in the Champions League.

He is, by almost every account, an equal midfield prospect to Borussia Monchengladbach’s Mahmoud Dahoud, and if that deal has stalled with the German club unwilling to sell another midfielder this summer, and if Neves really might be had for as little as €20M, Liverpool must move for him.

Neves would instantly improve Liverpool, giving them a three-man rotation at CM similar to the current situation at AM where Roberto Firmino, Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana, and Sadio Mané will be competing for minutes at three positions. And he’s got plenty of room to grow.

The player’s agent, Jorge Mendes, is said to currently be at work negotiating his departure. Hopefully, the coming days will bring with them confirmation from the Liverpool end that Neves will be departing FC Porto to join Jürgen Klopp’s Reds.

Crystal Palace Make £31.5M Benteke Bid

After having had their £25M offer for Christian Benteke rejected by Liverpool late last week, Crystal Palace have returned with an improved offer that could see the south London club pay as much as £31.5M for the Liverpool striker signed from Aston Villa last summer.

The improved bid, according to multiple sources, includes a guaranteed £27M plus £4.5M in add-ons that could see the total paid eclipse the £30M Liverpool are believed to be holding out for. While the Reds wouldn’t but assured of receiving that full amount, it is difficult to imagine them turning down the offer.

Liverpool paid £32.5M last summer to trigger Benteke’s release clause after then manager Brendan Rodgers identified the Aston Villa man as his top transfer target, overruling the transfer committee’s preferred choice, Carlos Bacca, who in the end moved to AC Milan in a £22.5M deal.

In the end, with Aston Villa refusing to negotiate and with Rodgers having been given assurances Liverpool would pay what it took to land Benteke in exchange for signing off on the acquisition of Roberto Firmino, Liverpool paid the gargantuan sum along with £120-140k per week in wages to bring him in.

With rumours that West Ham remain interested in Benteke and having failed to land Michy Batshuayi, Palace appear to be moving quickly to ensure they don’t miss out on Benteke, making a bid that not only shows just how serious they are but also illustrates the impact of increasing revenues on transfer fees.

Additionally, rumour has it that Palace do not see wages as being an issue that would hold up a deal, suggesting they will be willing to at least match Liverpool's wages. And with that, if the reports are accurate, there now seems every chance of a deal getting done quickly.

Good call MiB, a little back and forth is good. I sure hope this gets done quick.

Klopp's personal plea helps Liverpool FC land work permit for Marko Grujic

A personal plea from Jurgen Klopp has helped Liverpool successfully secure a work permit for new boy Marko Grujic .

The Reds boss travelled to Manchester for today’s hearing at a Manchester hotel where he appeared in front of a three-man Football Association panel.

Young Serbian midfielder Grujic, who cost Liverpool £5.1million from Red Star Belgrade in January, didn’t automatically qualify for a work permit under current regulations.

However, the FA were receptive to the Reds’ case and they have given the green light for the 20-year-old to begin his Reds career.

Key to that decision was the testimony of Klopp himself who underlined to the panel how highly he rates Grujic and spoke about his importance and value to the club as they head into the 2016/17 campaign.

With the governing body’s endorsement, Grujic now has permission to work in England so therefore qualifies for a permit from the Home Office.

Grujic, who remained on loan at Red Star until the end of last season, will need to leave the country later this week and then re-enter the UK. As a result the first signing of Klopp’s reign might not feature in Friday night’s opening friendly of the summer against Tranmere Rovers at Prenton Park.

Securing the permit will be a source of relief for Anfield officials, who would have had little option but to loan him out for the coming season if they had been denied a permit.

The last time a delegation from Liverpool appeared in front of a work permit hearing it was when they successfully secured one for Philippe Coutinho in January 2013.

The club have further confirmed that the young Serbian will wear number 16 at Anfield, a number last worn by Sebastian Coates and previously held by the likes of Dietmar Hamann and Michael Thomas.

asshat DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander's Avatar
    Anyone heard whether the friendly on Friday is on NESN (or elsewhere)?

asshat pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club
    So far, this is all I can find. Guessing we won't get these games live:

Live
    1:00pm Tranmere Rovers vs Liverpool Sport TV1, LFC TV, LFCTV GO

http://www.livesoccertv.com/competit...club-friendly/

Crystal Palace is in for Benteke
    Sevilla are in for Luis Alberto
    Sampdoria are reported to be keen on Balotelli
    Allen has been rumored for Swansea and Celtic. Question is is if someone meets FSGs asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by pied View Post
    So far, this is all I can find. Guessing we won't get these games live:

Live
    1:00pm Tranmere Rovers vs Liverpool Sport TV1, LFC TV, LFCTV GO

http://www.livesoccertv.com/competit...club-friendly/
    I'm pretty sure NESN had most of the friendlies last year - no idea why they'd change that. It's not like that channel has just so much programming to fit in (how many times can you rerun the BoSox game?)

The Blitzkrieg is coming

Liverpool “On a Good Way” in Pre-Season Training

[/

Football, endurance, three-a-days. Welcome to pre-season.

Earlier in the summer, Liverpool poached Bayern Munich head fitness coach Andreas Kornmayer, bringing in the man who oversaw conditioning for the German giants as Jürgen Klopp looked to improve his squad’s fitness and endurance ahead of his first full season in charge.

Shortly after Kornmayer’s arrival, word of Liverpool’s intense pre-season plans emerged, with a clear focus on endurance in order to get the players ready to spend a season gegenpressing. Nine games in a month and three-a-day training sessions were the order of the day. With pre-season under way, Kornmayer gave an early update.

"In the first sessions it’s important that they get a feeling for the ball again," said Kornmayer of his approach to pre-season fitness training and getting players back into the flow of football. "They’re not only designed by me. We—the coaching staff—design them. We have some topics to put in; some strong topics in my opinion.

"Some endurance topics, of course. And we will mix it with football and then we are on a good way. First of all I have to get to know the players. Check everybody and see where we are. Then we can work with them, do the programmes and progress for everybody, the whole squad. The first days were really great."

After arriving back for pre-season on Saturday, Liverpool face their first warm-up friendly at the end of the week as they hit the road to take on Tranmere on Friday. Then it’s Fleetwood Town next Wednesday, Wigan Athletic on Sunday the 17th, and Huddersfield Town on the 20th before the Reds head to America.

Three games in the United States, against Chelsea, AC Milan, and Roma, follow before the club return to Europe for a prestige friendly against Barcelona on the 6th of August and one against Klopp’s old club FSV Mainz just a day later on the 7th. Then, on the 13th of August, the season begins against Arsenal.

"[Klopp] called me and asked me," added Kornmayer of how he ended up leaving Bayern for Liverpool. "We talked about everything. To be honest, I didn’t have to think about it for too long. I was really impressed with what he said to me and impressed that the club wants to have me. I’m happy."

bunghole Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck's Avatar
    What can y'all tell me about Sergi Canós?

Quote Originally Posted by Fostercluck View Post
    What can y'all tell me about Sergi Canós?
    Talented kid we bought off Barcelona a few years back. Good with both feet and likes to cut inside off the wing. Technically proficient for his age. Was very good for Brentford on loan. We came to contract impasse with him. He'll do very well for you and I think will net you a goal/assist every 140 minutes next year if he gets consistent game time. Apparently there's a buyback clause in the contract but who knows.

Bring him home

asshat pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadSalamander View Post
    I'm pretty sure NESN had most of the friendlies last year - no idea why they'd change that. It's not like that channel has just so much programming to fit in (how many times can you rerun the BoSox game?)
    Yeah, but those games (Thai All-Stars/Brisbane/Adelaide/Malaysia) were a bigger deal(guessing) than at Tranmere/Fleetwood/Wignan/etc.

Still holding out hope though.

bunghole Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Fostercluck's Avatar
    Talented kid we bought off Barcelona a few years back. Good with both feet and likes to cut inside off the wing. Technically proficient for his age. Was very good for Brentford on loan. We came to contract impasse with him. He'll do very well for you and I think will net you a goal/assist every 140 minutes next year if he gets consistent game time. Apparently there's a buyback clause in the contract but who knows.
    Thanks... he seems to be the replacement for Nathan Redmond only younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Fostercluck View Post
    Thanks... he seems to be the replacement for Nathan Redmond only younger.
    Higher ceiling as well

From the Echo

Liverpool FC owners offer Jurgen Klopp new long-term contract

Liverpool's owners have opened talks with manager Jurgen Klopp over a new contract.

Klopp's current deal runs until 2018 with the option of a further 12 months and Fenway Sports Group are keen to get him tied down for the long-term.

FSG president Mike Gordon has instigated discussions with Klopp and his representatives and no issues are anticipated.

The German coach is relishing the job he took on last October and he's expected to pen an extension over the coming weeks.

Assistant coaches Zeljko Buvac and Peter Krawietz will also be rewarded with new deals.

The ECHO understands that FSG have been “blown away” by Klopp's impact at Anfield over the past nine months.

They were convinced he was the perfect fit for Liverpool when they secured his services as Brendan Rodgers' successor and that belief has been strengthened after he led the club to the final of both the Capital One Cup and the Europa League.

Klopp has also bought into how FSG want Liverpool to be run by developing young talent on the training field and his relationship with the American owners is strong.

Gordon, principal owner John W Henry and chairman Tom Werner view Klopp as a “world class operator” and the new long-term deal underlines their trust and confidence in him to bring success to Anfield.

The owners opted to make their move now to ensure the coming season isn't blighted by speculation about Klopp's future.

FSG want the 49-year-old to stay around long enough to do for Liverpool what he did for both Mainz and Borussia Dortmund in his homeland.

Klopp is already one of the Premier League's highest paid managers on around £5million per year.

The new contract won't involve a major pay hike with discussions merely focused on the length of the deal.

Just saw this, also Coutinho apparently has switched agents and they want him to move on(via twitter).

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast