+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool 2016-2017: aKloppalypse Now

asshat Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club
    I'm dvring it. Going to watch when I get home.

asshat pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club
    same, although it seems DirecTV has some deal where you can watch stuff off you DVR. Not sure you can watch all of the recordings or only some. Also wonder if you can stream a show while it's recording. Have a meeting at 1PM but will test that theory ~2PM.

asshat maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack's Avatar
    Match commentary below

Spoiler!

asshat maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack's Avatar
    Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

FYI TalkSport was bought by the S*n

asshat longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? longhorndude's Avatar
    I'm assuming the second leg will be much different....but Brendan lost a game to a team with the word Imp in its name....may need to see if I can get one of their jerseys.

asshat pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club pied Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    FYI TalkSport was bought by the S*n
    and one of their hosts resigns.

Radio presenter Colin Murray has quit talkSPORT after the station was taken over by the owners of The S*n.

The Liverpool FC fan from Northern Ireland tweeted a statement to announce his resignation this afternoon.

He said: “I have resigned from my morning show on talkSPORT, due to a change of ownership, with the Wireless Group being bought by News Corp.

“While there are parts of News Corp that aren’t a problem, it is the inevitable future working relationship between talkSPORT and The Sun that has made my position unsustainable.

“Commercially, I delivered all time record ratings and, creatively, I was left alone to mould a show of which I was intensely proud.

“I had been offered a new contract until 2019.”

Murray, who thanked his colleagues and co-presenters, signed off the statement with “#JFT96”.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...quits-11609607

asshat mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost's Avatar
    Karius pulled out of the Olympics and wants to be available for the preseason. Some think it's because he's getting the #1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by mdmost View Post
    Karius pulled out of the Olympics and wants to be available for the preseason. Some think it's because he's getting the #1 spot.
    I'll allow it.

asshat 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th's Avatar
    So does Grujic replace Hendo/Milner in our starting XI? /preseasonoverreaction

Not getting Zika would be on my list too

asshat DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander's Avatar
    That was a lot of fun to watch. Trying to tap the brakes on Grujic, but he looked AWESOME.

Gomez appears to have an Achilles issue now. As President of his fan club it's disappointing but at least we know what's going on.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport...after-11616470

I thought we needed another CB before Mama was hurt but we definitely need cover there now. Go get Subotic.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadSalamander View Post
    That was a lot of fun to watch. Trying to tap the brakes on Grujic, but he looked AWESOME.
    Looks like a player for sure. Without Europe he's going to get plenty of time to work in with Kloppo.

asshat CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel's Avatar
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.
    I thought we needed another CB before Mama was hurt but we definitely need cover there now. Go get Subotic.
    This. Still plenty of time to get him in to train with the first team.

May be the competition, but Gruijc and Matip look like giants. Not a bad thing assuming they can move.

asshat DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander grows his own roses DeadSalamander's Avatar
    With our current CB situation, I surprised (saddened) not to be seeing more links to Tah. Get on it Jurgen!

With our current CB situation, I surprised (saddened) not to be seeing more links to Tah. Get on it Jurgen!
    I worry about Gomez if this is a serious Achilles injury. He hasn't played since September 12th of last season and if this keeps him out another year then I worry about his long term viability.

Also, Middlesbrough is going to sign Subotic based on all the links this morning. $#@!ing Middlesbrough.

asshat Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club Jograves Shaggy Bronze Club
    Any word on how long Gomez is out? I think I saw it's achilles tendinopathy (sp?).

asshat CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel's Avatar
    Also, Middlesbrough is going to sign Subotic based on all the links this morning. $#@!ing Middlesbrough.
    I'm holding out hope that they are trying to sign someone bigger.

Whistling in the dark...

asshat Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn Shaggy Gold Club Firemans4Horn's Avatar
    Back line is looking shallow and shaky as hell. Moreno is not good enough at LB and we're pretty close to Stephen Caulker territory at CB.

Also still need a DMF for the 7th straight season.

asshat MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemans4Horn View Post
    Back line is looking shallow and shaky as hell. Moreno is not good enough at LB and we're pretty close to Stephen Caulker territory at CB.

Also still need a DMF for the 7th straight season.
    Want Mikel?

Good thing we sealed the Skrtel deal when we did. He might be regretting that whole Fenerbache thing right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by MoJames View Post
    Want Mikel?
    You misspelled Matic.

asshat MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames Shaggy Silver Club MoJames's Avatar
    I think we could make Marin work, but I'm not sure he fits your needs.

Can the Attack Fire Liverpool into the Top 4?

The Liverpool Echo, more specifically James Pearce, recently published an article informing Liverpool fans that Jurgen Klopp no longer had an interest in Bayern Munichís Mario Gotze and he was happy with his attacking options moving forward into the new season.

Given the Reds were looking to bring in Monacoís Kylian Mbappe and Rennesí Ousmane Dembele it does strike me as odd that after only one attacking signing coming in so far this Summer in Sadio Mane, and with Jordon Ibe on the move to Bournemouth, that Liverpoolís business in terms of attacking talent is done. If anything, it implies Lazar Markovic may have a future in the first team squad.

With no European football next season most, if not all, Liverpool fans expect a top 4 finish. With no distractions, a certain Jurgen Klopp at the helm and a full pre season with the squad itís viewed as a minimum requirement by most. Anything less than a Champions League spot for 2017-2018 and there will be a lot of disgruntled Liverpool fans. However, context is necessary and if Liverpool miss out on 4th spot on goal difference with a record number of points then I think the squad would be excused.

If Liverpool are to really challenge for a Champions League position then their aim come the end of the season should be to finish with a +30 goal difference. Over the last eleven seasons only nine (9) teams have managed to finish in a top 4 positions with a goal difference of less than 30. The Ďplus 30í theory works under the assumption that the goals are spread evenly throughout the season and you donít just blitz 18 goals in three games and come away with a + 15 GD from those matches but then in the other 35 games in the season only come away with a +15 GD. That doesnít sound too daunting but when you consider in two of the last five seasons Liverpool have failed to have a double digit positive goal difference it really hits home.

Season Goals Scored Goals Conceded Goal Difference.
    2011-2012 47 40 7
    2012-2013 71 43 28
    2013-2014 101 51 50
    2014-2015 52 48 4
    2015-2016 63 50 13

In the table above youíll see that Liverpool, on average, concede 47 and score 66 goals per season giving them a + 19 GD. Itís not ideal but given 2013/2014 was a bit of an anomaly if you remove that season from the table it works out that Liverpool concede 45 and score 59 per season, a +14 GD. Klopp doesnít have an easy job on his hands.

With Joel Matip an Loris Karius joining the ranks already it seems as though Klopp has acknowledged the need for defensive reinforcements. The average numbers of goals conceded by a top 4 placed team over the last five seasons is 38, 9 fewer than Liverpool if you include 13/14 and 7 fewer if you donít. Over the past eleven seasons only nine times has a team that has conceded 40 or more finished in the top 4. While a pre season under Klopp and the acquisitions of Karius and Matip will shore up the defence will it be enough to take 9 goals off whatís become the norm for a Liverpool defence?

If Liverpool adopt the form of an average top 4 side and concede 38 goals then theyíre going to need to score at least 68 goals, a feat theyíve achieved only twice in the seven seasons. So does this Liverpool attack have enough in them to score close to 70 goals, preferably 75?

A system that suits the attackers

With Benteke, Balotelli and Jordon Ibe all looking set to leave it trims down a bulky looking attack. You canít help but look at the options that Klopp has at his disposal now and feel excited about the potential. It has goals throughout the attack and itís because the personnel suit the style Klopp wants to play. There wonít be long balls and countless crosses into the box. Itíll be fluid and interchangeable. A rotisserie of pressing from the front.

The arrival of Mane and Markovicís return adds much needed pace to what can be a pedestrian attack at times. It was one thing that the team really lacked last season. Liverpool had quick players but not really any players with explosive pace from deeper areas.

With Daniel Sturridge, Divock Origi and Danny Ings all hopefully fit for the majority of the season itís a safe bet to say the three of them will be scoring at least 35 Premier League goals next season. Thatís working under the assumption Daniel Sturridge starts the majority of games with the other two playing when Sturridge is rested and/or cameo 20 minutes appearances off the bench. Itís also important to remember Mane will be heading to the AFCON in January so there may be chances for the pair to get more minutes in that month.

The aforementioned Mane along with Roberto Firmino, Philippe Coutinho, Adam Lallana and Lazar Markovic offer Liverpool a minimum of 25 goals (they should be looking at 30 goals) from those players behind the striker. Klopp likes the team to contribute with goals and last season Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho scored a combined 22 goals in the Premier League.

If the attacking players contribute between 55-60 goals to the team, not an unrealistic figure all things considered, itís a good base to mount a top 4 challenge. The odd goal from the midfielders and defenders and it takes Liverpool over the magic number. Many fans on social media have voiced their frustrations about the business so far being underwhelming and there being a need for Mario Gotze. Of course, a talent like Gotze is always welcomed but looking at the squad as things stand there should be enough firepower to get Liverpool close to a Champions League place next season.

Good thing we sealed the Skrtel deal when we did. He might be regretting that whole Fenerbache thing right about now.
    Thinks the same thing. Guessing Lucas won't be going there either.

Very long and detailed article mostly about pressing. Highly recommended!

On Jurgen Klopp’s debut (game 9 of the season), Liverpool visited another team focused heavily on counterpressing, Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham. With less than a week of training, Klopp was already able to instill a few key principles of counterpressing into the team. Despite this, many of the suitable support structures were not in place to implement a successful post-counterpress transition (after only days of coaching, this is to be expected). This created a match with many individual duels and second balls, but little sustained possession or clean combination play.

The general aggression of the counterpress was vastly increased, but more importantly, the triggers for counterpressing were seemingly more clearly defined than under Rodgers. The main signal for triggering an ultra-aggressive counterpress was the opponent receiving the ball with his back to [Liverpool’s] goal. This is the most common trigger in general, because makes it more difficult for the receiving ball-player to view or access the game behind him. It reduces his passing options and makes it easier for the ball to be regained. If the ball is not won back quickly, then it forces the opponent into a backwards pass and gives the team additional time to re-structure.On Jurgen Klopp’s debut (game 9 of the season), Liverpool visited another team focused heavily on counterpressing, Mauricio Pochettino’s Tottenham. With less than a week of training, Klopp was already able to instill a few key principles of counterpressing into the team. Despite this, many of the suitable support structures were not in place to implement a successful post-counterpress transition (after only days of coaching, this is to be expected). This created a match with many individual duels and second balls, but little sustained possession or clean combination play.

The general aggression of the counterpress was vastly increased, but more importantly, the triggers for counterpressing were seemingly more clearly defined than under Rodgers. The main signal for triggering an ultra-aggressive counterpress was the opponent receiving the ball with his back to [Liverpool’s] goal. This is the most common trigger in general, because makes it more difficult for the receiving ball-player to view or access the game behind him. It reduces his passing options and makes it easier for the ball to be regained. If the ball is not won back quickly, then it forces the opponent into a backwards pass and gives the team additional time to re-structure.

http://spielverlagerung.com/2016/07/...pps-liverpool/
    Last edited by pied; 07-15-2016 at 10:38 PM.

asshat 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th Shaggy Bronze Club 406W30th's Avatar
    So Tony Barrett says we're going after Wijnauldum. Don't know what to make of that. When his give-a-$#@!-ometer is running high, he's a damn good player. When it's not, it's like playing with 10 men.

In other news, Ben Woodburn scored again today. All aboard the 16-year old's hype train!

Would rather spend that money on a DM but whatever.

asshat mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost Definitely Shaggy upper class mdmost's Avatar
    They're also looking at Estonia's captain, Ragnar Klavan.

Echo reporting that the deal is more or less done. 30-year old CB for £4.2M. Played against us for Augsburg in Europa League.

Decent player but hardly anyone to get excited about. Placeholder until Sakho returns, I imagine.

We don't have much depth right now so I'm excited to just have a body back there.

Watching Matip play yesterday gives me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    Watching Matip play yesterday gives me hope.
    Looked class didn't he? Great forward runs and defense-splitting passes

Analysis of Klavan from Sky:

What's his style?

At 6ft 1in, Klavan is a powerful, left-footed player, strong in the air and ranked fourth in terms of clearances per game (5.8) of Bundesliga centre-backs to have made over 20 appearances last season.

He has also shown he isn't afraid to put his body on the line - only new Liverpool defender Joel Matip made more blocks than Klavan in the German top flight.

However, Klavan is comfortable with the ball at his feet, too. He was tied for 25th in the Bundesliga for passing accuracy in 2015/16, with his 85.3 per cent success rate superior to Premier League figures for Dejan Lovren (84.6 per cent) and Kolo Toure (81.5 per cent) and equal to Martin Skrtel.

Klavan has been named Estonian footballer of the year three times - including in each of the last two years.

Looked class didn't he? Great forward runs and defense-splitting passes
    It was impressive. Some of those long passes reminded me of Xabi.

Quote Originally Posted by CheeseWeasel View Post
    It was impressive. Some of those long passes reminded me of Xabi.
    He and Sakho are a great pairing. Sakho changed his number to 3 from 17 today and offered fans with a 17 kit a free autograph if they mailed their shirts into the club.

#SakhoForCaptain

Rumors that Klopp is looking at Gary Medel with Inter Milan/Chile at DM.

Rumors that Klopp is looking at Gary Medel with Inter Milan/Chile at DM.
    Trying not to be excited by OMGOMGOMG!

I'd take Medel in a heartbeat. If we actually signed him he'd be the best summer business we did.

I mean, I like Medel a lot, but I'm not sure he'd be in our top three signings.

Quote Originally Posted by 406W30th View Post
    I mean, I like Medel a lot, but I'm not sure he'd be in our top three signings.
    I think he'd have the biggest impact even though he wouldn't be the most talented. That's provided we actually play with a DM.

I think he'd have the biggest impact even though he wouldn't be the most talented. That's provided we actually play with a DM.
    I guess I only really see him playing in the midfield for away matches, otherwise I think CB is his best position. And I'm not sure he really offers more than Matip playing at DM.

He and Sakho are a great pairing. Sakho changed his number to 3 from 17 today and offered fans with a 17 kit a free autograph if they mailed their shirts into the club.

#SakhoForCaptain

This whole Sakho deal is one of the stragest I've seen following sports. Here's a guy that looks brilliant at times on the field but sometimes goofy as well. Can't really think of big gaffes that have hurt us, but still can think of some lol moments. Gets hurt, then comes back and is strong. Meanwhile, it's hard to think of another athlete in sport doing more for not only his home but his adopted community as well, a true great ambassador.

In the middle of an important run he is caught doping. He doesn't appeal, just sits out. OK, I'm pretty sure we thought he just got caught, but these things happen and maybe it's not that serious. He's out of the Euros for France as an extension. Then its released that he didn't do anything wrong, and a small bit of outrage but it quickly dies down as the news of another/final hearing comes out for later in the summer.

OK, so maybe there's a little more to the story so everyone is a bit quiet. At the hearing it's stated he did NOTHING wrong, oops. A little hub bub abut filing a complaint, but basically not much to nothing from a response from the club or the fans. These are the same fans/club/community that heroically fought injustice for 26 years(totally understand there is a GULF of difference), but really the club and France kind of seem to say, oh well.

Just seems weird to me.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 7 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast