+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Hunting Thread

asshat judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag's Avatar

2016-2017 Hunting Thread

Might as well. This fellow is going to skip this season.

asshat judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    He had a brother that was a 10 come sneaking up behind me. I thought it was donkey, turned around and Holy $#@!!

Lost dove lease around the 130 toll due to development, anyone have some land they want to lease out to about 10 guys for dove season?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Orange View Post
    Lost dove lease around the 130 toll due to development, anyone have some land they want to lease out to about 10 guys for dove season?
    Give me a call. We hunt right across from there.

FYI I'm gonna let them get after it this year.

Btw a bump is good. Dove season is just days away.

asshat Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club Ogre Shaggy Silver Club
    37 days. And I have a field full of sunflowers and weeds. Lot of work to do

asshat Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain's Avatar
    I'm over near 130/Cameron and I haven't heard of anything being available as far as season dove leases. There's a day lease that's right there, well one more exit north but it's always booked by people from Houston for at least opening weekend. It opens up after that if anyone is looking for a weekend spot.

bunghole Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails Shaggy Bronze Club Spaulding Smails's Avatar
    Cruised down to my buddy's place this morning to check things out. Lots of dove birds. Only fear is all the small tanks are full and they won't be following a regular flight pattern. We'll see... Looking forward to September 1. Taking my 8 year old out for the first time that afternoon.

asshat Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado's Avatar
    On a has-been planet orbited by a cold, indifferent sun
    Subscribed

Pulling cards from my cameras on Saturday out at my new deer lease in Tyler county for the first time. I'm pretty excited to see what's out there lurking around.

The few months leading up to hunting season always seem to move along at a snails pace unfortunately. There's nothing better than a Saturday in the fall with hunting and Texas football.

I'm in for Doves. I think I've got a wheat field that will have just been cut, and if Lou times it right, the bales will get left in the field to hang out by. Oct 1-3 I'm either sex blackpowder floppy eared deer, the rest of the week is chasing cow elk in Hell's Canyon. Come December, I'm going to back up the boy on cow elk up in Butte county, home of the pirates. That scares me a little. Hope for snow, although that will make me want to ski instead. If I fill the tags, I'm gonna need another freezer.

Anyone getting deer mounts back from the taxi? I am supposed to pick up a mount tomorrow.

We've put in work days and already planted the summer food plots. We got a new stand this year that should do well. Went to check on the growth after fishing a few weeks after planting and there were three deer standing in the plot when we walked up BSing, beers in-hand.

asshat The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster's Avatar
    Post mount when you get it. I took an axis in January but don't expect it anytime soon.

2014 RFL CHAMPION Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call's Avatar
    Couple more months wait on my 2015 buck.

I'm looking forward to dove season but after South Africa this past May I'm having a hard time getting excited for whitetail.

2014 RFL CHAMPION Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call Shaggy Platinum Call's Avatar
    So apparently I was mistaken when my whitetail would be ready. I got the call today:

Wow. Not posting my white tail mount after seeing that monster.

Planted a couple acres of special soybeans on Sunday. Jumped another doe going to check on the earlier summer food plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Call View Post
    So apparently I was mistaken when my whitetail would be ready. I got the call today:

Damn fine looking animal! What did he score and what county? Those G3s are tall.

asshat The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster Shaggy Silver Club The Lake Worth Monster's Avatar
    That's a beaut clark.

Call, That is a great deer and beautiful mount! I love those dark antlers and the double throat patch.

Thanks. Webb County, just over 150.

asshat 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Beast down.
    My friend took a nice axis out at the ranch Saturday. 190 lb live weight. Took him down old school with the 45-70 sitting against the base of a tree trunk 30 yds from the feeder. "I think I'll just sit here a while and see what comes along."

asshat 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 4th_and_18 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    I know some people hate hogs, but $#@! like this makes me a little ragey. I stumbled across this on Facebook.

asshat ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas's Avatar

Son! That's a hoss. Congrats!

Put up a new bow stand near a nice game trail. Excited to hunt it this season, as that's where a lot of nice bucks were seen last year.

Mid-August and still green as $#@! out here. Highly unusual. Not sure when to mow, grass is still seeding out. Got the a/c fixed at the house, there's an armadillo living under the barn since the fox whelped and moved out, and jackrabbits galore. Should be a good year. Unless I see a trophy just one doe for meat this year.

Used to see one axis every now and then. Now we're seeing twelve under a single feeder with another ten whitetail in the same group. They're really liking the apple flavored corn from Walmart.

asshat Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Crab Person's Avatar
    I'm headed out archery elk hunting first week of September up here in North CO.... Can't come soon enough just finished off the elk I stuck last year. Anyone try sticking a GoPro their bow, it's pretty sweet, here is my video I shot last year of the spike I shot.
    Last edited by Crab Person; 08-06-2016 at 08:40 AM.

Awesome! Rep inbound. Good luck in September!

Quote Originally Posted by 4th_and_18 View Post
    Beast down.
    My friend took a nice axis out at the ranch Saturday. 190 lb live weight. Took him down old school with the 45-70 sitting against the base of a tree trunk 30 yds from the feeder. "I think I'll just sit here a while and see what comes along."

That there is a helluva gun.

Quote Originally Posted by judge roybeanbag View Post
    That there is a helluva gun.
    That's not even his nicest 45-70. He only pulls out the nice one when things get serious. It was amazing how quick the well-placed 45-70 dropped the axis yet did virtually no damage to any meat. Just lost a little flank and trim off a shoulder. Still over 100 lbs dropped off at processor.

asshat Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08's Avatar
    Anyone seen any sales on 12 ga shells?

asshat Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08 Shaggy Silver Club Spur08's Avatar
    Also, does anyone have any recs for gun locks for a long gun hard case? I have to fly with my shotgun in a few weeks (never done it before) and need to find some decent locks for it. The case I have is like the following. I will be flying SWA

Quote Originally Posted by Spur08 View Post
    Anyone seen any sales on 12 ga shells?
    Academy had rio 12ga for $55 a case and the Remington heavy dove loads for $59. I personally like the Rio's; clean running she'll made in texas

asshat Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado Shaggy Platinum Llano Estacado's Avatar
    On a has-been planet orbited by a cold, indifferent sun

2016-2017 Hunting Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spur08 View Post
    Also, does anyone have any recs for gun locks for a long gun hard case? I have to fly with my shotgun in a few weeks (never done it before) and need to find some decent locks for it. The case I have is like the following. I will be flying SWA

Any lock that fits the hole is acceptable. Do NOT use a TSA lock on your weapon. If it's a key lock don't check the key, keep it on your person. I've had the TSA agent initial and put a number on a zip tie while I never handled the declaration card inside, and I've had them give zero $#@!s not checking the chamber or multiple magazines.

IIRC, you can have ammo in the case on SWA. And I think the airlines get to determine weight. I've flown with a TSA lock on my ammo box because larger locks won't fit and it was the only luggage size locks I have left. (if any of the thousands of people with a TSA key want to steal my 12ga and 270 I'll probably be able to get some at my destination)

I did a safari in May in South Africa and used Master Lock model 14Q on my gun case. A pack of 4 was about 15 bucks on Amazon.

Rio, Winchester, Remington, Federal, etc Dove loads are $59.99/case at Academy right now.

asshat Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain probably preboards planes Blain's Avatar
    Which Rio's? Texas load?

Those look like this.

No. The brown box (12GA). Although I believe those were $20+ more, so $79 something.

For the dumb, what's the difference? Not sure I know what "Texas Load" is.

Also, looks like Cabela's website as the same price
    Last edited by Spur08; 08-12-2016 at 03:59 PM.

Texas load is 1 1/4 ounce and they are high brass. 1 1/4 ounce is borderline too much for doves, but I've nailed them at 70 yards or so. I don't mind paying extra for a good shell, but twice as much is too much. I've shot Rio Texas loads the past few years with great results. If I couldn't find those, I'd shoot Remington Heavy Dove loads and then the Federal 1 1/8 ounce loads you can get for about $50 a case at Wally World.

2016-2017 Hunting/fishing licenses are available today.

asshat williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza is a rep whore. williemackgarza's Avatar
    Call nice buck. Im in Mex just across the rio grande from Webb County/ Columbia Bridge.

Crab that is awesome video. I shot my only elk (rifle not bow) up in Montana 2 years ago. I tried drawing an antelope tag in montana this year with no luck.

I cant wait for the season. Also doing my yearly panhandle whitetail hunt up in Donley/Gray Counties..

Anyone know anyone with antelope hunts out of state, kinda late, but would go if a good deal.

asshat Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Mr Bean's Avatar
    In the first post of the Official 2010 Texas Rangers Thread
    Need a little help here. How far away from a deer feeder can you hunt dove? My game warden hasn't responded to a couple of messages however I want be be legal and not hunt baited dove.

We've started the corn feeders for deer but haven't been able to find the rules for how far away we need to be to hunt dove. With the current setup we'd be 350 yards away from corn. Do you think that's far enough away?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bean View Post
    Need a little help here. How far away from a deer feeder can you hunt dove? My game warden hasn't responded to a couple of messages however I want be be legal and not hunt baited dove.

We've started the corn feeders for deer but haven't been able to find the rules for how far away we need to be to hunt dove. With the current setup we'd be 350 yards away from corn. Do you think that's far enough away?
    I would think that is far enough away but it is really the game wardens call. If he thinks you are "baiting" then he could bust you for that. I'd have to look at the rules again to get the exact ruling but if I remember correctly it's at the GW's discretion.

Concerning the Rio's; I have used the Texas Dove load but it's kind of overkill for dove unless you have a bunch of high flying white wings. I think it's more of a marketing gimmick than anything.

I ran out to the ranch and mowed and cleared bush this weekend. Pulled the game card and have a couple nice bucks; if I can figure out how to post these damn pics I will put them up.

asshat Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka's Avatar
    From TPWD's webpage:

Baiting

NOTE: Hunters are responsible for knowing whether an area is baited or not.

The following baiting rules have been established by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service:

A hunter may hunt any migratory game bird:

over standing crops, standing flooded crops and flooded harvested crops
    at any time over natural vegetation that has been manipulated. Natural vegetation does not include planted millet. However, planted millet that grows on its own in subsequent years after the planting is considered natural vegetation
    on or over a normal soil stabilization practice
    on or over lands or areas where seeds or grains have been scattered solely as a result of a normal agricultural practice except waterfowl and cranes may not be hunted where grain or other feed has been distributed or scattered as the result of:
    pre-harvest manipulation of an agricultural crop; or
    livestock feeding;
    over crops or natural vegetation where grain has been inadvertently scattered as a result of entering or leaving a hunting area, placing decoys or retrieving downed birds;
    using natural vegetation or crops to conceal a blind, provided that if crops are used to conceal a blind, no grain or other feed is exposed, deposited, distributed or scattered in the process.

A hunter may not:

hunt migratory birds with the aid of bait, or on or over any baited area
    hunt over any baited area until 10 days after all baiting materials have been removed
    hunt waterfowl or cranes over manipulated planted millet, unless the millet was planted more than one year prior to hunting
    hunt waterfowl or cranes over crops that have been manipulated, unless the manipulation is a normal agricultural post-harvesting manipulation in accordance with official recommendations of State Extension Specialists of the Cooperative Extension Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    No person may place or direct the placement of bait on or adjacent to an area for the purpose of causing, inducing or allowing any person to take or attempt to take any migratory game bird by the aid of baiting on or over the baited area.
    Last edited by Lerka Lerka; 08-17-2016 at 10:12 AM.

Last edited by cknight; 08-17-2016 at 11:00 AM. Reason: I'm highly regarded on the computers

There used to be language in the statute that said (paraphrasing), "if the bird is flying to/away from bait then hunter is deemed as hunting in baited area." This left everything up to the game warden. If the bait is yours and he/she thinks the bird was flying to/from that bait, no matter how far, you could get a ticket. I don't know if that is still the case.

asshat Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka Shaggy Gold Club Lerka Lerka's Avatar

Here's a link to Federal Regulations (Migratory Bird Treat Act) that discuss baiting and a hunter's responsibility. Might be helpful.

PDF link as well: https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/dove-hunting-and-baiting.pdf
    Last edited by Lerka Lerka; 08-17-2016 at 03:35 PM.

I asked one of my local GW this question during last years December dove season. We were hunting the area where we deer hunt and the GW pulled up as we were getting out of the truck. GW told me the deer feeder was there to attract deer not doves. He said unless I had chicken scratch, maize or some grain other than corn he would not consider it a baited field. He also said a different GW might see it different. He said to be safe it would be better not to hunt within shooting range of the feeder.

It's up to the game warden's interpretation, which sucks for you. I've heard things from what was posted "feeder is here to attract deer" to "If you alter their flight path (up to a mile from the feeder) you are baiting". So, I'd wait on the response from your particular game warden before proceeding.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast