+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 209

Thread: The Art of Travel- A Spankytoes Manifesto

  1. #51
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th and 5 View Post

    not so fast.......

    you ever buy gasoline?
    perhaps shop on Amazon?
    do you buy $#@! at Lowe's? or Home Depot? (or does your wife?)
    fly Southwest?
    eat at restaurants?
    wife just gotta have Starbucks???
    kids $#@!ing love iTunes?

    buy gift cards for Shell, Exxon, Amazon, Lowe's, SWA, restaurants, iTunes, etc all at 5x via Ink card
    This is all just to speed up the points process right? Because obviously you could just use the Ink card when you make these purchases normally and still get the same points.

  • #52
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    20,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    This is all just to speed up the points process right? Because obviously you could just use the Ink card when you make these purchases normally and still get the same points.
    Not exactly.

    What he's alluding to are the different category offers for each card. For example, the Ink has certain purchases that will earn you more points: https://creditcards.chase.com/ink-bu.../ink-plus-card

    So you get 5X points if you use your card at Staples or 2X if you use it at a gas station. Let's say that you have the UA card. UA is actually a travel partner for the Ink. So you can spend $100.00 at Staples at a 1:1 ratio with your United card or at a 5:1 ratio with your Ink card and transfer those points to UA. For the same purchase, you are netting an additional 400 miles. Same deal applies with hotels (assuming you don't want a card for this), cell phone bills, cable bill, etc. You're much better off using the Ink than the UA card for these types of purchases to speed up the process.

    The Chase Sapphire has a different set of benefits: https://www.chase.com/card-benefits/...reserve/travel

    You'll get 3X points on taxis, restaurants, etc. So you would use this card for those types of purchases over the Ink or UA cards.

    And so on...

    The portal that he's talking about is the online shopping that can be done for a specific airline where you earn more points by shopping online at specific retailers. (I.E. Staples or Office Depot) You can eek out another few miles per $1 this way. So your net result is 7X points instead of the 5X that you would get at the brick and mortar. Like this: https://shopping.mileageplus.com/
    Last edited by spankytoes; 09-14-2016 at 12:03 PM.

  • #53
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    I'm just gonna keep asking:

    So I'm set to get 100,000 points on Reserve, assuming I complete my $4k spend in 3 months. It's 110,000 points on SWA for companion pass. Wife already has like 30k points on her SWA account. Would it be a wise move to transfer the bulk of that 100k points to SWA come January (when the SWA Companion points reset) so I can fly free for 2 years? (Jan 2017-Dec 2019) Companion pass is good for the following full calendar year, plus the remainder of the year in which you earned it.

    Doesn't do me any good for int'l flights, but vast majority of our travel right now is domestic anyway.

  • #54
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    20,706
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. You don't get credit with SWA for points transferred from other programs.

    Per the T&C:

    A Member who earns 110,000 Companion Pass Qualifying Points through Rapid Rewards Partners or who flies 100 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest Airlines per calendar year will qualify for a Companion Pass. “Companion Pass Qualifying Points” are earned from your revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, your points earned on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and your base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Points purchased for personal use or as a gift, transferred points, points earned from program enrollment, Tier bonus points, flight bonus points, and Partner bonus points (with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Credit Cards from Chase) do not qualify as Companion Pass Qualifying Points. Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. No points or Companion Pass Qualifying Points will awarded for flights taken by the Companion using the Companion Pass.

  • #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    I'm just gonna keep asking:

    So I'm set to get 100,000 points on Reserve, assuming I complete my $4k spend in 3 months. It's 110,000 points on SWA for companion pass. Wife already has like 30k points on her SWA account. Would it be a wise move to transfer the bulk of that 100k points to SWA come January (when the SWA Companion points reset) so I can fly free for 2 years? (Jan 2017-Dec 2019) Companion pass is good for the following full calendar year, plus the remainder of the year in which you earned it.

    Doesn't do me any good for int'l flights, but vast majority of our travel right now is domestic anyway.
    Biff, what most people do for the Southwest companion pass is to apply for one personal and one business Southwest card from Chase when they have a 50,000 point bonus. If you apply in the last quarter of the year you will time it so that the last of the $2,000 minimum spend is posted on your January statement. Then you will get 100,000 bonus points plus points for the spend (even better if they are for SW flights to earn 2X). You could then spend the extra money on the cards to hit 110,000 (or earn points for flying SW) and have the pass for almost two years. Spanky touched on what it takes to get a "business" card.

  • #56
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    god damn fine print

  • #57
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    20,706
    Quote Originally Posted by 84Horn View Post
    Biff, what most people do for the Southwest companion pass is to apply for one personal and one business Southwest card from Chase when they have a 50,000 point bonus. If you apply in the last quarter of the year you will time it so that the last of the $2,000 minimum spend is posted on your January statement. Then you will get 100,000 bonus points plus points for the spend (even better if they are for SW flights to earn 2X). You could then spend the extra money on the cards to hit 110,000 (or earn points for flying SW) and have the pass for almost two years. Spanky touched on what it takes to get a "business" card.
    To piggy back on this, points MUST be earned in the same calendar year. If you have 50,000 points post in December, and 50,000 in January, you are officially at 50,000 for 2017. The best time to apply for both cards, provided that you can spend $4,000 in 3 months between them, is the beginning of December. Your first statement won't be until January and you don't lose any stragglers. Remember, you'll still get 1 point per $1 spent to hit the threshold. So you'll have at least 104,000 points when you satisfy the bonus requirements. (More if you are purchasing on Southwest) As soon as you get those last 6,000 points, whether it be by spending or earning by flying, you'll reach CP status. This is where Manufactured Spending starts becoming handy.
    Last edited by spankytoes; 09-14-2016 at 02:03 PM.

  • #58
    asshat Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dismissed for Unspecified Violations of Team Rules
    Posts
    3,861
    My issue has always been the scheduling. When we were childless it was pretty easy, but not so much now.

    Here's an example. Let's say, "hypothetically," I want to take my wife and 2 kids to Rome. Make it this year, next year, whatever if that helps - doesn't matter for this purpose.

    I have enough points/miles for 2 free tickets, but not 4, and not for the hotel.

    So I go online to one of those package sites and find a passable hotel and flight set up for $5500 or so for a week. I can book that and be done.


    If I get 2 free tickets through points, then try to buy the hotel and 2 more tickets for the kids (or us if it matters), it only drops the price to, say, $4000. So I just saved $1500. Not great, but not bad.

    But wait, that's if I use a package site for the hotel and 2 extra tickets and use the points for the other 2. I can never, ever get those to line up with the dates or even the same airlines. If I go to the airlines directly, I can match things up, but now I'm spending $7,200 or so for the two remaining seats and the hotel.

    It is variations on this idea that usually result in me just using my points to buy $#@! on Amazon.
    So what am I doing wrong?

  • #59
    Not sure how you can be considered a travel guru when you don't appear to know the difference between direct and non-stop flights.

  • #60
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    20,706
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquor and Poker View Post
    My issue has always been the scheduling. When we were childless it was pretty easy, but not so much now.

    Here's an example. Let's say, "hypothetically," I want to take my wife and 2 kids to Rome. Make it this year, next year, whatever if that helps - doesn't matter for this purpose.

    I have enough points/miles for 2 free tickets, but not 4, and not for the hotel.

    So I go online to one of those package sites and find a passable hotel and flight set up for $5500 or so for a week. I can book that and be done.


    If I get 2 free tickets through points, then try to buy the hotel and 2 more tickets for the kids (or us if it matters), it only drops the price to, say, $4000. So I just saved $1500. Not great, but not bad.

    But wait, that's if I use a package site for the hotel and 2 extra tickets and use the points for the other 2. I can never, ever get those to line up with the dates or even the same airlines. If I go to the airlines directly, I can match things up, but now I'm spending $7,200 or so for the two remaining seats and the hotel.

    It is variations on this idea that usually result in me just using my points to buy $#@! on Amazon.
    So what am I doing wrong?
    You are touching on something very important: Award availability. I have mentioned it a few times here and there, but it is really the glue that holds the whole thing together. I can tell you, you're not getting 4 award tickets to Rome on the same flight on AA regardless if you book 1 month or 1 year in advance. At least not at the cheap redemption rate. There will of course be BA options that you can redeem for if you are willing to pony up an extra $280 per ticket in fuel surcharges. That can still turn out to be a fantastic deal for you. But I just can't do that out of principle. You will probably find availability on UA if you book far enough in advance, however. AA is great for their redemption levels, which seem to be creeping up ever so subtly. If you need exact dates, they can be shaky at best. Some of this game is applying first and asking questions later. I usually have a list of places that I'd like to go and let the award availability dictate my final destinations since I am an AA guy. I only need an entrance and an exit point. The rest will work itself out.

    To answer your question, I wouldn't view it that way at all.

    Assuming that you are flying in Coach, which you most certainly would be at that price point, why couldn't you transfer your points to the airline at the applicable redemption level? Or, if you are short, open up a credit card for the airline that you are using and get bonus points that way? Both of those options won't cost you anything.

    As far as hotels are concerned, you lost me. If you got 6 nights at a hotel for a week's stay for $300.00/nt., which would be a decent to nice hotel in Rome, your price would be $1,800.00. So your cost would be $1,800 + the redemption taxes for the ticket. If you took the BA option mentioned above, you would be paying $1,800.00 + 1,120.00 in taxes (for 4 tickets) = $2,920.00. That's still $1,080.00 less than your "not great, but not bad" threshold and far less than the $5,500.00 your package would cost.

  • #61
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    20,706
    Quote Originally Posted by elfenix View Post
    Not sure how you can be considered a travel guru when you don't appear to know the difference between direct and non-stop flights.
    Me? The difference should be pretty obvious. I may have interchanged terms the same way that people say "points" when they mean "miles". There's a lot of text I've put up.

  • #62
    A correction on Citi cards. You can get a Citi card, wait 8 days and then get another. You then have to wait 60 days and you can redo the cycle again. However, Citi has hard and fast rules on the number of credit pulls on your report when you apply.

  • #63
    here's a blurb from slickdeals on why you want to have multiple chase cards with different 'reward' types

    Wiki Community Board
    This can and should be used by you to post updated deal information.
    Be sure to read this because it may contain answers to your questions!
    1.5% "Cashback" really means 1.5 UR (chase ultimate rewards) points per dollar of spend. With only a non-premium UR earning card, these are generally worth 1 cent per point, which is where the 1.5% comes from.

    If you pair this with a 'premium' UR card (currently the Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Plus cards), these can be transferred to the premium card. These points are much more valuable. Many travel sites value these at over 2 cents per point. This effectively turns this card into a 3% travel rewards card, provided you redeem them for travel worth 2 cents per point.
    http://slickdeals.net/f/8631122-chas...src=SiteSearch

    so, freedom for the categories, freedom unlimited for the 1.5%, and then a premium UR card (preferred, reserve, and ink plus) to convert those accumulated points at a higher redemption value.

    add on the occasional big points intro bonus from an airline or hotel partner card and you're hitting 5/24 in a hurry.
    Last edited by elfenix; 09-14-2016 at 04:53 PM.

  • #64
    asshat 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    fighting crime fighting
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    This is all just to speed up the points process right? Because obviously you could just use the Ink card when you make these purchases normally and still get the same points.
    no bro, that's all 5x Chase points via INK -> GIFT CARD -> SPEND instead of 1x or 2x via other card

    $50 gas = 250 chase points instead of 50 or 100

  • #65
    Super interesting and helpful; I dabble in gaming the system, but wish I spent more energy on it. I travel a ton for work, but would love more personal budget to travel. Right now, I basically just use the $#@! out of my AMEX platinum, citi AA, and about to get Chase Sapphire Reserve.

    I've been flying a lot on Delta. This probably goes in a different thread, but I'm about 40K miles away from hitting Diamond status. Any advice on a mileage run to kick in 10K or 20K miles? I live in NY.

  • #66
    asshat Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Liquor and Poker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Dismissed for Unspecified Violations of Team Rules
    Posts
    3,861
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post

    To answer your question, I wouldn't view it that way at all.

    Assuming that you are flying in Coach, which you most certainly would be at that price point, why couldn't you transfer your points to the airline at the applicable redemption level? Or, if you are short, open up a credit card for the airline that you are using and get bonus points that way? Both of those options won't cost you anything.

    As far as hotels are concerned, you lost me. If you got 6 nights at a hotel for a week's stay for $300.00/nt., which would be a decent to nice hotel in Rome, your price would be $1,800.00. So your cost would be $1,800 + the redemption taxes for the ticket. If you took the BA option mentioned above, you would be paying $1,800.00 + 1,120.00 in taxes (for 4 tickets) = $2,920.00. That's still $1,080.00 less than your "not great, but not bad" threshold and far less than the $5,500.00 your package would cost.
    I feel like I am missing a fundamental point. I guess another way to look at my issue is that I never have enough points/miles to get all 4 tickets. So I get soaked trying to get two additional tickets on the same flight. I guess I could wait until I have more points, but that's too slow for me. So I buy the vacation package. What I'm wondering is how to get around that problem.
    Last edited by Liquor and Poker; 09-14-2016 at 09:29 PM.

  • #67
    asshat thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,260
    Quote Originally Posted by ohchaucer View Post
    Super interesting and helpful; I dabble in gaming the system, but wish I spent more energy on it. I travel a ton for work, but would love more personal budget to travel. Right now, I basically just use the $#@! out of my AMEX platinum, citi AA, and about to get Chase Sapphire Reserve.

    I've been flying a lot on Delta. This probably goes in a different thread, but I'm about 40K miles away from hitting Diamond status. Any advice on a mileage run to kick in 10K or 20K miles? I live in NY.

    I took a red eye from SFO -> MCI on delta a few times. Transfer in... ATL. Worked great at the time. Late night, sleep time, no $#@!s given. Not sure if you could find something similar.

  • #68
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th and 5 View Post
    no bro, that's all 5x Chase points via INK -> GIFT CARD -> SPEND instead of 1x or 2x via other card

    $50 gas = 250 chase points instead of 50 or 100
    God dammit. So is that a specific perk of Ink? 5x points for gift cards?

  • #69
    asshat Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Pac10'sville
    Posts
    17,602
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    God dammit. So is that a specific perk of Ink? 5x points for gift cards?
    pretty sure it applies to Staples purchases. So, buying a $50 Chevron card at Staples is 5x better than spending $50 directly at Chevron.

  • #70
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil Bang View Post
    pretty sure it applies to Staples purchases. So, buying a $50 Chevron card at Staples is 5x better than spending $50 directly at Chevron.
    See now this is information that would have been a lot more useful to me YESTERDAY!

  • #71
    I guess I am too lazy, stupid or cynical.

    I can't even digest the 3 novels in this thread let alone keep a spreadsheet to manage my credit card spending.

    I salute or am scared of, not sure which, anyone with that much time and energy on their hands.
    Last edited by Incredulity; 09-14-2016 at 11:21 PM.

  • #72
    asshat 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    fighting crime fighting
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by Gil Bang View Post
    pretty sure it applies to Staples purchases. So, buying a $50 Chevron card at Staples is 5x better than spending $50 directly at Chevron.
    Exactly

  • #73
    About the chase 5/24 rule. Is it 5 chase cards in 24 months, 5 credit cards in 24 months, or 5 lines of credit including home auto etc in 24 months?

  • #74
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    20,706
    5 credit cards. But remember, personal cards and business cards are different. If you open up a SWA and UA personal and business you're only at 2/24 despite obtaining 4 cards.
    Last edited by spankytoes; 09-15-2016 at 07:02 AM.

  • #75
    bunghole Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable grows his own roses Mappable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tarrytown
    Posts
    170
    Got suggestions for a small business owner?

    I don't travel much except for vacation driving trips to Colorado and a yearly business trip to Vegas. I don't stay in hotels except for my trip to Vegas.

    I have an Amex Gold Rewards business card with about 900,000 points from business purchases.

    Also have a Citi Double Cash card 1% + 1% that I put most of my personal purchases.

    I'm thinking I should get the two Southwest cards for trips close to Denver or maybe Park City.

    The problem is a lot of the places I like Durango and Crested Butte are no where near Denver.

    Also, my threshold of pain for opening and closing accounts is pretty low.

  • #76
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    I know it's been said that you generally aren't allowed to pay a debt with a debt, but when I asked Chase if a student loan payment would count towards my $4k spend, this was their vague-ass response:

    I would like to inform you that your account has the
    below mentioned offer :
    - Earn 100,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on
    purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.

    Let me share, purchases do not include balance transfers,
    cash advances, cash-like charges such as travelers checks,
    foreign currency, and money orders, any checks that access
    your account, overdraft advances, interest, unauthorized
    or fraudulent charges, or fees of any kind, including an
    annual fee, if applicable.


    To me, that means I can put a student loan payment on the Reserve card and it will count towards the spend. Am I wrong? Or just an $#@!?

  • #77
    asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    HC SVNT DRACONES
    Posts
    17,806
    chase doesnt know - a csr certainly doesnt know. and they dont care. if they charge out money under your name, its spending. spending is spending.

    what matters is whether your loan holder will accept credit card as payment. most wont, as it incurs a processing fee. or if they do, they will tack on a fee, which will likely offset any rewards you hope to accumulate.

  • #78
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    chase doesnt know - a csr certainly doesnt know. and they dont care. if they charge out money under your name, its spending. spending is spending.

    what matters is whether your loan holder will accept credit card as payment. most wont, as it incurs a processing fee. or if they do, they will tack on a fee, which will likely offset any rewards you hope to accumulate.
    They do accept CC's and they don't charge a fee. So...can I do it?

  • #79
    asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    HC SVNT DRACONES
    Posts
    17,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    They do accept CC's and they don't charge a fee. So...can I do it?
    whats the worst that can happen

  • #80
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    whats the worst that can happen
    Exactly. I charge it, pay it off immediately, and see if they count it. Here goes nothin.

  • #81
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    what matters is whether your loan holder will accept credit card as payment. most wont, as it incurs a processing fee. or if they do, they will tack on a fee, which will likely offset any rewards you hope to accumulate.
    even if they do that fee is often much lower than manufacturing spending to get you to a big bonus. i wouldn't do it for just the regular few percent. but when you need to hit $4000 right away for the 100000 points, what's $10?

  • #82
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    Exactly. I charge it, pay it off immediately, and see if they count it. Here goes nothin.
    Joke's on me! Filed under the Wives thread: they don't take Visa. But strangely enough do take AMEX.

  • #83
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    5 credit cards. But remember, personal cards and business cards are different. If you open up a SWA and UA personal and business you're only at 2/24 despite obtaining 4 cards.
    Thanks

  • #84
    asshat Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Ignatius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    ,Location,Location
    Posts
    5,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Incredulity View Post
    I guess I am too lazy, stupid or cynical.

    I can't even digest the 3 novels in this thread let alone keep a spreadsheet to manage my credit card spending.

    I salute or am scared of, not sure which, anyone with that much time and energy on their hands.
    You forgot poor...

  • #85
    asshat ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ousuxndallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,860
    FYI, right now you can convert Amex points to British Airways avios with a 50% bonus. So, instead of the usual conversion rate, it's 1.2 avios for every 1.0 Amex point. Pretty nice.

    As spanky states, you can use BA points to book AA flights in the U.S. at a much better rate. For instance, I just booked 4 flights from DFW to GUC for a ski trip. Round trip through AA.com would have cost 25,000 miles/points. Through British Airways, it cost 15,000 round trip. With the Amex conversion bonus going on, I used 50,000 Amex points for the 4 flights which works out to 12,500 points per round trip flight. Not bad.

  • #86
    Quote Originally Posted by Party_Taco View Post
    Need to sit down and give this a good read, but any thoughts to the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card? Hearing really good things...
    I've also heard good things about this one. It has 100,000 point bonus after spending $4k in 3 months. It has a $450 annual fee, but it also has a $300 travel credit per year. It also credits $100 for TSA Pre Check fees.

    Thoughts? Anyone use it and is the Chase redemption process pretty easy?

    My current every day card is Capital One Venture, which gives 2 points for every $1 spent. I like the simplicity of it, but I try to mix in these other cards to take advantage of signup bonuses.

  • #87
    Chase Sapphire Reserve is a fantastic card. The $300 travel credit can be used in January and December for a total of $600 per year. You also get 3X points for travel and dining and most view Chase UR points as one of if not the most valuable points out there. It also gives lounge access so you don't have to mingle with the peons at airports.

  • #88
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    20,706

  • #89
    asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    HC SVNT DRACONES
    Posts
    17,806
    That guy mastered the art of travel. He writes a popular blog so airlines and hotels invite him on their services for free and credit card companies pay him for affiliate sign ups

  • #90
    Quote Originally Posted by VABuckeye View Post
    Chase Sapphire Reserve is a fantastic card. The $300 travel credit can be used in January and December for a total of $600 per year. You also get 3X points for travel and dining and most view Chase UR points as one of if not the most valuable points out there. It also gives lounge access so you don't have to mingle with the peons at airports.
    Sweet, I just signed up for that. The bonus is too good to pass up. I also noticed there's more discussion of it in the CYHMWT thread on credit cards, but this thread seems more applicable/current.

  • #91
    Spanky (or others),

    Thanks for taking the time to post, it really is helpful to know this information is available if you just work for it.

    On SWA companion pass, can my wife and I get the personal business cards and get this status then each of us adding one of our under 18 children as a companion? I would imagine they have it set up where a family of 4 can't pull this off (I have a family of 5). sorry if this has already been covered.

  • #92
    one follow up, with the Chase Sapphire and Ink cards, you are talking about transferring points to different mileage programs. Do those points transfer to miles on a 1:1 basis, said differently you aren't actually booking through the "Chase Ultimate Experience" or whatever benefit program they are pimping?

  • #93
    asshat utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05 Shaggy Bronze Club utee05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the burbs
    Posts
    2,531
    Got my sapphire reserve in time for my trip to SF. Did not know that they flagged Uber charges as travel expenses so got all of those credited immediately along with the BART charges I made.

  • #94
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by utee05 View Post
    Got my sapphire reserve in time for my trip to SF. Did not know that they flagged Uber charges as travel expenses so got all of those credited immediately along with the BART charges I made.
    Yeah, they seem to be pretty flexible on the "dining" definition too, including several bars where all I did was drink. So that's nice.

  • #95
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wesley View Post
    Spanky (or others),

    Thanks for taking the time to post, it really is helpful to know this information is available if you just work for it.

    On SWA companion pass, can my wife and I get the personal business cards and get this status then each of us adding one of our under 18 children as a companion? I would imagine they have it set up where a family of 4 can't pull this off (I have a family of 5). sorry if this has already been covered.
    That is something that is done quite often. There are no rules that restrict how many family members can earn a companion pass. If you each got a business and a personal card you could each get a pass and that would cover two of your kids. One thing to keep in mind is that you have to name a companion and you can only change it three times. So if you and your wife travel without kids you might need to pay cash or use miles for both tickets so you don't run into a problem changing the companion too often.

  • #96
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Wesley View Post
    one follow up, with the Chase Sapphire and Ink cards, you are talking about transferring points to different mileage programs. Do those points transfer to miles on a 1:1 basis, said differently you aren't actually booking through the "Chase Ultimate Experience" or whatever benefit program they are pimping?
    Yes, the Ultimate Rewards points transfer on a 1:1 basis to the airline partners. This is where you can really get the most value from your points. To illustrate, I transferred 185,000 UR points to Singapore Airlines and was able to fly in their A380 Suites from Singapore to Los Angeles with my wife for our 30th anniversary. Those tickets priced out at $15,000.

  • #97
    muchas gracias my friend.

  • #98
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_turkey View Post
    Sweet, I just signed up for that. The bonus is too good to pass up. I also noticed there's more discussion of it in the CYHMWT thread on credit cards, but this thread seems more applicable/current.
    I applied on Monday night when I made the post. Card arrived on Wednesday afternoon in a UPS overnight mailer. It's metal and weighs more than most cards. I like it.

  • #99
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,058
    I haven't gotten my metal one yet, just the plastic version. Not that it makes a difference, but dammit I want it.

  • #100
    My Chase Sapphire Reserve is in the mail apparently. About to book a trip to NYC so Ill eat up that $300 travel credit almost instantly.

  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts

     

     

    Home .. Advertise .. ShaggyShop .. PanchoChat
    Football .. OC .. Basketball .. Baseball .. Other Sports .. RC Didn't Offer .. Gamboool
    Varsity .. Hole in the Wall .. PCL .. Einstein's .. Nasty's .. GM Steakhouse .. NSAA .. Classics
    Bada Bing .. Bernard .. Nerdz .. Can you help me with this? .. Shagslist .. Cloak Room .. Bellmont