+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Travel- A Spankytoes Manifesto

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    If you are set on airline miles, the Ritz card is nothing to be sneezed at: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit.../3-10002653/na

3 nights in a Tier 1-4 hotel. 1 night at a Tier 4 hotel would cost you more than the annual $450 fee. So it's like you're getting 2 nights at the Ritz for free. Plus, you get a $100 hotel credit for food or the spa. They also have the usual perks of a $300 travel credit and GE reimbursement, etc. Ritz points can also be used at Marriott properties and will probably be redeemable at SPG properties in the near future.

Check it out before you apply. Remember, Tier 1-4 properties, NOT Category: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/reward...ng/hotel-stays

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Finally got my Chase Sapphire Reserve, game on.

Now, I'm going to spin down my recent Citi Premier card (also 3x on travel, but only 2x on restaurants). I'll have them change it to the no fee card so I don't get a ding on my credit report for closing the card. I guess the 2% cash back one is the best no fee card by Citi?

Now... for the travel point experts... what's the best use of my ~150k Citi travel points?
    Use the Citi Travel tool to book air/hotel travel? or transfer to one of the partners?

edit. all the Citi partners are 1 for 1 for their point transfer... except Hilton.. you get 50% extra points! (Get 1,500 HHonors Bonus Points for 1,000 pts)
    Last edited by LongIslandIceSIP; 09-22-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    If you are set on airline miles, the Ritz card is nothing to be sneezed at: https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/rit.../3-10002653/na

3 nights in a Tier 1-4 hotel. 1 night at a Tier 4 hotel would cost you more than the annual $450 fee. So it's like you're getting 2 nights at the Ritz for free. Plus, you get a $100 hotel credit for food or the spa. They also have the usual perks of a $300 travel credit and GE reimbursement, etc. Ritz points can also be used at Marriott properties and will probably be redeemable at SPG properties in the near future.

Check it out before you apply. Remember, Tier 1-4 properties, NOT Category: http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/reward...ng/hotel-stays
    this looks like an awesome card. i just got the sapphire reserve, but i'm going to look to get this card next.

one of the best perks (outside of whatever you already listed) is the visa infinite $100 off the total price when you buy 2-5 flight tickets through their travel portal.

for example, if you make many weekend trips or something like that where you buy 2 tickets, if they price out at $250 each, you'd only pay $400 total (250*2-100). obviously depends on your travel patterns, but if you're someone that makes several of these trips per year, it can pay for itself just through that.

I have the Ritz card. There's another benefit. It's one of only two Visa Infinite cards in the US. I get $100 off of every booking on an airline within the continental US provided I purchase between 2-5 tickets on an itinerary with unlimited usage. Yes, you could buy 100 tickets for two people and get $100 off times 100 itineraries.

There are other benefits but that one alone justifies the card. It's also one heavy metal card and makes the new Chase card feel cheap.

I also get Ritz upgrades to club level for free and it comes with Marriotgold status complimentary for the first year and after a $10k spend per year thereafter.
    Last edited by VABuckeye; 09-22-2016 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VABuckeye View Post
    I have the Ritz card. There's another benefit. It's one of only two Visa Infinite cards in the US. I get $100 off of every booking on an airline within the continental US provided I purchase between 2-5 tickets on an itinerary with unlimited usage. Yes, you could buy 100 tickets for two people and get $100 off times 100 itineraries.
    My new Chase Sapphire Reserve card says Visa Infinite on the front. Does that mean it has this benefit as well, or is that specific to the Ritz card?

Quote Originally Posted by wild_turkey View Post
    My new Chase Sapphire Reserve card says Visa Infinite on the front. Does that mean it has this benefit as well, or is that specific to the Ritz card?
    So far the CSR does not have the travel discount benefit. It's the 3rd Visa Infinite card in the US so perhaps this will change in the future.
    Last edited by VABuckeye; 09-23-2016 at 08:38 AM.

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    Finally got my Chase Sapphire Reserve, game on.

Now, I'm going to spin down my recent Citi Premier card (also 3x on travel, but only 2x on restaurants). I'll have them change it to the no fee card so I don't get a ding on my credit report for closing the card. I guess the 2% cash back one is the best no fee card by Citi?

Now... for the travel point experts... what's the best use of my ~150k Citi travel points?
    Use the Citi Travel tool to book air/hotel travel? or transfer to one of the partners?

edit. all the Citi partners are 1 for 1 for their point transfer... except Hilton.. you get 50% extra points! (Get 1,500 HHonors Bonus Points for 1,000 pts)
    most card points redeem air booking at 1% rate. so 150k miles = 1500$ applied towards market price. which is usually $#@!ty, since i think 135k or so is a business class roundtrip from united (lets say 2500$ value), for example.

what would make a diff is the redemption fee... and the fact that cc-miles-as-cash booking means the flight itself is eligible to earn miles. which could be important if youre trying to hit requalifying

While it is true that most points transfer at a 1:1 rate this doesn't mean that the redemption for a plane ticket is 1:1.

For instance, I needed tickets last week to get my wife and daughter to Philadelphia from Dulles. For some reason this 1 hour and 15 minute flight is a $500 ticket in economy. However, it only costs 10k points for the same flight. That's a .05 redemption per point which is excellent.

Somewhat relevant:

Seleccion Suprema No. 1 Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VABuckeye View Post
    While it is true that most points transfer at a 1:1 rate this doesn't mean that the redemption for a plane ticket is 1:1.

For instance, I needed tickets last week to get my wife and daughter to Philadelphia from Dulles. For some reason this 1 hour and 15 minute flight is a $500 ticket in economy. However, it only costs 10k points for the same flight. That's a .05 redemption per point which is excellent.
    Would Uber from D.C. to Philly be less than $500 per person?

That would be the uber ride from hell. DC to Philly? No thanks.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NWBuck View Post
    Somewhat relevant:
    I don't see what he would do for a living that would allow his lifestyle. Working remotely I guess? And he just works from whatever city he's in at the moment? Just seems like so much work.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    I don't see what he would do for a living that would allow his lifestyle. Working remotely I guess? And he just works from whatever city he's in at the moment? Just seems like so much work.
    Well, in the 1st 30 seconds it says he's a travel writer so I think that helps make his traveling lifestyle OK.

asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    that IS his living. airfare are tax deductible for him because its a business expense. gets money off affiliate links for credit card signup, from writing about the flights. now his blog has become so popular, airlines invite him to fly for free as advertisement for their product. his life is literally sitting on an airplane, and then writing about it. its a circle

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5280 View Post
    that IS his living. airfare are tax deductible for him because its a business expense. gets money off affiliate links for credit card signup, from writing about the flights. now his blog has become so popular, airlines invite him to fly for free as advertisement for their product. his life is literally sitting on an airplane, and then writing about it. its a circle
    That would be the worst possible job ever IMO. It's the gyno of travel. I love a guy like Rick Steves but I couldn't do what he does. It would take all the joy out of discovering new places.

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by reagan1k View Post
    Well, in the 1st 30 seconds it says he's a travel writer so I think that helps make his traveling lifestyle OK.
    Oh...yeah...well...I'll show myself out.

Just got my annual fee charged on Reserve. $450 PLUS an additional $75 for a total of $525. WTF? Sent a message to Chase to see what's up with that. Did I miss something in the fine print?

Just got my annual fee charged on Reserve. $450 PLUS an additional $75 for a total of $525. WTF? Sent a message to Chase to see what's up with that. Did I miss something in the fine print?
    uhh...i'd say you missed some not-so-fine print. they've advertised it as a 450 dollar annual fee plus 75 per additional card.

also, i applied for global entry more than a month ago, got the conditional approval within a week or two (pending interview), and have been trying to schedule an interview in austin.

the first interview time available in austin is....january 27, 2017. wtf?

Ah, there it is. See, this is why I love you Shag. You point out when I'm an imbecile.

also, i applied for global entry more than a month ago, got the conditional approval within a week or two (pending interview), and have been trying to schedule an interview in austin.

the first interview time available in austin is....january 27, 2017. wtf?
    Keep checking back every few days. When I first scheduled mine, the quickest appointment was in three months in San Antonio. Austin was like 6 months out. After a couple of weeks I found a slot in Austin like 3 days away.

Had my appointment in late June in Brooklyn, which was scheduled in Feb. Just got approved last Friday.

Good luck with that.

So with global entry, do I ned to pay with the two different cards (me and wife), or can I pay for both on one and still get the credit for both.

Just realized this is the travel thread and not the credit card thread. I'm talking about the chase sapphire reserve card.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    So with global entry, do I ned to pay with the two different cards (me and wife), or can I pay for both on one and still get the credit for both.
    From the Card Benefits section:

Apply for Global Entry or TSA Pre√ and charge the application fee to your card to receive an automatic statement credit of up to $100 per account.

Sounds to me like two different cards. But I could be wrong.

You are correct.

Apply for Global Entry or TSA Pre√ and charge the application fee to your card to receive an automatic statement credit of up to $100 per account.

Thanks. Both cards are part of same account, so maybe I'm only getting one free fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Thanks. Both cards are part of same account, so maybe I'm only getting one free fee?
    That's how I read it.

I'll call to confirm.

Is there a a website that shows you the flights that require the least number of points on a certain airline so that you can use different airlines if one leg was cheaper?

Ie Im going to NYC in Dec. I have miles on every airline. Do I fly up on SWA and back on AA or UA? etc? Or do I just have to check every airlines award miles?

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post
    Is there a a website that shows you the flights that require the least number of points on a certain airline so that you can use different airlines if one leg was cheaper?

Ie Im going to NYC in Dec. I have miles on every airline. Do I fly up on SWA and back on AA or UA? etc? Or do I just have to check every airlines award miles?
    I have the same question.

Planning a trip in May or early June (before our daughter turns 2 and has to pay for a seat). Wife wants to fly 1st/business to either Europe or South America and I'm trying to find the least miles to do that. We both got the Sapphire Reserve, so we each got 100K points from the sign up bonus, plus with the spend points we'll be well over 300K points in our account.... I don't want to spend them all thought.

Full on Asshat Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan Shaggy Silver Club Wacoan's Avatar
    I have the same question.

Planning a trip in May or early June (before our daughter turns 2 and has to pay for a seat). Wife wants to fly 1st/business to either Europe or South America and I'm trying to find the least miles to do that. We both got the Sapphire Reserve, so we each got 100K points from the sign up bonus, plus with the spend points we'll be well over 300K points in our account.... I don't want to spend them all thought.
    Depending on the program you use, you may find the travel tools here useful for such searches:
    https://wandr.me/

I just called Chase and you get one Global Entry per account, so even if you pay the extra $75 for a card, you don't get a second.

That's what I figured. Amex platinum will cover both if you get a card for your spouse.

So, my trip planning is complete. As full disclosure, about 75% of this was done through credit cards. I did some smart travel planning for business trips that helped me achieve my goal a little quicker and bought a few flights. But, this is an example of what you can do by gaming the system smartly.

A few pages back, I had a detailed post about taking my son to Europe as a graduation gift. So we are flying to Munich for $11.80:

We're staying there 2 nights and then taking the train to Salzburg, which I haven't booked yet. ($35 for the both of us) Hotels are free:

From there, we're flying to London. $56 for 2 tickets. And then on to Rome, also $56 for 2 tickets:

And our hotels. London is free, Rome is $8 a night because they impose a city tax. I booked 2 nights on points and 1 night from the certificate I get with my Hilton Reserve card:

I booked a flight to Pamplona rather than using miles. The mileage redemption wasn't as attractive to me as $143 for 2 tickets:

I had one night reserved on points already in Pamplona. By the time I received enough to book the 2nd night, they blacked out the dates for the Running of the Bulls. So we will do the run in the morning and then take a train to Barcelona in the evening. ($80 for 2) Staying 3 nights in Barcelona:

Originally, I was going to go to Madrid but got talked out of it. My flight home was booked from Madrid and it would have cost $400 to change it. So I booked an earlier flight for $150 for 2 to get us to MAD before our flight home. The flight home, on Iberia, was $184.00 for 2 tickets.

So 2 people staying in mostly 5-star hotels for less than $600 for all travel. I could have cut that bill almost in half with a few tweaks, but I'm still happy with the end result.

Nice, but why were you talked out of going to Madrid? Wonderful city.

Wife and I are now up to almost 400k Ultimate Rewards thanks to the Sapphire Reserve, and I still have 100k Citi points from the Citi Premeir.

Both cards transfer points to different hotels and airlines.

I'm still trying to plan a nice trip for May or June 2017, but may already be too late as a lot of the discount points are gone.

Trying to fly 1st or business before my kid turns two, so she won't be charged a ticket... but it seems that for 1st or biz I can't use points for lap infants? She's never paid a ticket so far, but it's been economy plus in the past.

Was told that the coast is better for a teen. Madrid is where you go for museums and culture. Barcelona is where you go for fun. May head over to Ibiza. At worst, I'd eat the plane ticket and switch.

Pamplona itself is pretty boring but if you're there to do the running then that's a fantastic experience.

asshat lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido is a rep whore. lonestarguido's Avatar
    Madrid is pretty damn cool. It's New York and Barcelona is more Miami/LA

Why are you flying to London and the back to Rome

Seems out of order?

Because I used BA miles. So London was a stopover city.

The Mayfair is pretty nice, stayed there this summer, great location as well

Bump.

Citi is offering a special on ThankYou Travel points transfers... when transferred into Hilton Hhonors points, you get 2x points until February 2017.

Does this make that transfer worth it? How does Hilton's reward program stack up compare to other hotels in terms of bang for your buck?

Basically, I can keep my ThankYou points until later use and they are 1-for-1 to several airlines & hotel chains, or I can take advantage of the 2x special and get twice the points I normally get. BUT, I'm not sure if 100k airline or hotel points are better than 200K Hhonors points.

Thoughts?

Here are the partners:
    Citi Transfer Partner Transfer Ratio
    Cathay Pacific Airways* 1:1
    Etihad Airways** 1:1
    EVA Air 1:1
    Air France/KLM’s Flying Blue 1:1
    Garuda Indonesia 1:1
    Malaysia Airlines 1:1
    Qantas Airways 1:1
    Qatar Airways 1:1
    Singapore Airlines 1:1
    Thai Airways 1:1
    Virgin America 1:0.5
    Virgin Atlantic Airways 1:1
    JetBlue TrueBlue (NEW!)*** 1:0.8
    Hiton Hhonors 1:1.5 (but for now its 1:2)

I mainly use my ThankYou and Chase Sapphire points for family vacations (Flights & Hotels) on international destinations. Usually at least 2 vacations per year.
    Last edited by LongIslandIceSIP; 11-15-2016 at 12:48 PM.

Generally, you never use third party cards as a transfer partner for hotels unless by doing so you are topping off a premium award or grabbing an extra night where you are devoid of points. Hotel points are extremely easy to accumulate and therefore far less valuable than airline miles. But, with that list of transfer partners, I don't see any airline that you could just knock it out of the park with. Jetblue would be the dog with the least fleas and the transfer rate is not attractive. You can do some interesting things with Qantas and Cathay Pacific on Oneworld, but I seem to recall that their redemption rates were a little higher than AA or BA. So, in that vein, it's not a terrible value to get to Hilton. I just have a hesitation pulling the trigger on that deal since Hilton is already giving you 2X points on stays, you can book a stackable 2X points rate already, your elite membership gives you a bump on the $ value and you can pay using a Reserve card for 10X points on the base rate. They're already giving out points like samples of Tide. The only argument I see for it is it would give you enough points to book for award nights in a row, which would net a 5th night for free.

Hilton is one of the better chains IMO for points redemption. The bulk of the trip I posted was earned on Hilton stays through the year. Obviously, I do Europe a lot so Club Carlson is my favorite as Radisson hotels overseas are nice and most redemption rates are cheap. I can almost get 2 nights in Berlin for the points accumulated on 1 weekend stay in Dallas. Starwood points are the most valuable...for now. Its a little hazy how the program will hold up with the buyout so I wouldn't horde points there. But they have a 1:1 transfer rate for a lot of airlines and offer bonuses when you transfer 20,000 points. Their award redemption rates are a little scatterbrained though. IHG I'm a little down on. It's a lot of work to accumulate points once you've spent the credit card bonus. If it weren't for the Accelerate promo, which I will hit full marks on, I would have dropped them after getting my annual free night. I admit, I haven't keyed on them for very long so perhaps I'll warm up to them later on. I love Marriott hotels but hate their program. So I can't comment on their status as of late. I am a huge fan of Hyatt but they aren't great for international awards as they have few too many properties. I'd only work on them if I was going to Paris, Tokyo, Dubai, etc. The rest of the programs out there aren't worth mentioning.

Generally, you never use third party cards as a transfer partner for hotels unless by doing so you are topping off a premium award or grabbing an extra night where you are devoid of points. Hotel points are extremely easy to accumulate and therefore far less valuable than airline miles. But, with that list of transfer partners, I don't see any airline that you could just knock it out of the park with. Jetblue would be the dog with the least fleas and the transfer rate is not attractive. You can do some interesting things with Qantas and Cathay Pacific on Oneworld, but I seem to recall that their redemption rates were a little higher than AA or BA. So, in that vein, it's not a terrible value to get to Hilton. I just have a hesitation pulling the trigger on that deal since Hilton is already giving you 2X points on stays, you can book a stackable 2X points rate already, your elite membership gives you a bump on the $ value and you can pay using a Reserve card for 10X points on the base rate. They're already giving out points like samples of Tide. The only argument I see for it is it would give you enough points to book for award nights in a row, which would net a 5th night for free.

Hilton is one of the better chains IMO for points redemption. The bulk of the trip I posted was earned on Hilton stays through the year. Obviously, I do Europe a lot so Club Carlson is my favorite as Radisson hotels overseas are nice and most redemption rates are cheap. I can almost get 2 nights in Berlin for the points accumulated on 1 weekend stay in Dallas. Starwood points are the most valuable...for now. Its a little hazy how the program will hold up with the buyout so I wouldn't horde points there. But they have a 1:1 transfer rate for a lot of airlines and offer bonuses when you transfer 20,000 points. Their award redemption rates are a little scatterbrained though. IHG I'm a little down on. It's a lot of work to accumulate points once you've spent the credit card bonus. If it weren't for the Accelerate promo, which I will hit full marks on, I would have dropped them after getting my annual free night. I admit, I haven't keyed on them for very long so perhaps I'll warm up to them later on. I love Marriott hotels but hate their program. So I can't comment on their status as of late. I am a huge fan of Hyatt but they aren't great for international awards as they have few too many properties. I'd only work on them if I was going to Paris, Tokyo, Dubai, etc. The rest of the programs out there aren't worth mentioning.
    thanks for the thorough response!

I agree that a lot of the partners are crap, so I'll transfer enough points to Hhonors to guarantee the 5 nights (4 + 1 free) in their top category hotels for future use... and save the rest of my Citi points to future use.

BTW, I noticed you are not big on IHG but I've found it one of the best ROIs in terms of CC rewards. The yearly fee is only $49 and comes with a complimentary night in ANY of their properties every year. I regularly stay at very nice Intercontinental hotels abroad, easily $400+/night... so it's a steal.... I keep this card even though I don't use it much for that alone.

Their card gives you 5x points/dollar at their properties... so I use it for part of my business travel each year until I get to Spire Elite (top level), which I hit by end of March, before going to other chains through the year. Oh, and they have a 10% points refund every time to use points to book a stay.

asshat 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335's Avatar
    Spanky, that looks like an awesome trip!

BTW, I just PMd you with CC questions.

Someone told me last week that the Citi AAdvantage Executive MC won't continue to offer Admiral's Club membership in 2017.

That really sucks! So I need to evaluate new options. Would prefer AC membership and a card that gives AA miles.

Shifting from card points to miles.... I'm about 30K short of Diamond Medallion on Delta. I might have a few cross-country trips coming up, but imagine I'll still be 25K+ miles short. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to get past the mark, ideally in a single mileage run and/or a couple of them (I'd be flying out of New York). I could get the Amex currrently offering 10K mq miles, but would prefer not to.

Any ideas?

^^ $#@!, that's a lot of miles short.

I'm 5k short from the next status on United and found a $260 roundtrip flight from SFO to EWR which gets me there. Worth it because it's a cheap way to jump in status, so I'll waste a Saturday in December to do the mileage run.

asshat 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335 Shaggy Gold Club 244335's Avatar
    I'm in PHX to duck hunt in the mountains tomorrow all day. This trip gets me to Platinum again on American at ~55K miles for the year. If they'd implemented Platinum Pro at 75K miles this year, I'd have found a way to hit it. Since they don't, when I get home Friday, I'm done for the year. It will be a nice, relaxing December.

asshat thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge Probably Shaggy upper class thunderlounge's Avatar
    ^^ $#@!, that's a lot of miles short.
    That's what she said.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast