+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Travel- A Spankytoes Manifesto

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    thanks for the thorough response!

I agree that a lot of the partners are crap, so I'll transfer enough points to Hhonors to guarantee the 5 nights (4 + 1 free) in their top category hotels for future use... and save the rest of my Citi points to future use.

BTW, I noticed you are not big on IHG but I've found it one of the best ROIs in terms of CC rewards. The yearly fee is only $49 and comes with a complimentary night in ANY of their properties every year. I regularly stay at very nice Intercontinental hotels abroad, easily $400+/night... so it's a steal.... I keep this card even though I don't use it much for that alone.

Their card gives you 5x points/dollar at their properties... so I use it for part of my business travel each year until I get to Spire Elite (top level), which I hit by end of March, before going to other chains through the year. Oh, and they have a 10% points refund every time to use points to book a stay.
    I definitely see value in their program. The free night on the card is a nice perk as their annual fee is so low. However, on general earning, I haven't cracked the code on pumping things up. I typically book the extra points rate because it's only a little more than rack. They used to be great because you could jump on their best rate guarantee, which nets a free night. But they got very stringent on that and it's virtually impossible to take advantage of because every lowest rate is prepaid and can't be refunded. So if you are denied, you're stuck. The only reason I got on the train was because they had a property in Pamplona for a cheap points rate. Hilton doesnt have a property in Salzburg so I pulled double duty with the Crowne Plaza.

Hilton and Club Carlson are easy to rake in points. CC does a status match to Gold over the phone, which nets more points per dollar spent. However, the CC card is $#@! and hard to be approved for if you churn. So you're stuck with actual stays. I have a couple Hilton cards that can get me points on everyday purchases like IHG does. That makes things simple combined with actual stays.

asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hookem98 View Post
    The Mayfair is pretty nice, stayed there this summer, great location as well
    I stayed there with the wife a few years back. I liked it. They have a perfume in the hallways that I couldn't decide if I liked or not. Great location near the Green Park tube and there a Sainsbury across the street for groceries.

However, plans have changed. I invited my dad so that we could have a 3 generation guys trip, but my mom muscled her way in there. So I switched over to the Plaza on the River. A 1 bedroom suite with a balcony overlooking the Thames was the same amount of points. I'd rather have the extra space. Son and I are doing Pamplona and I booked them an extra night in Barcelona.

I'm curious to know what you like so much about Hilton compared to say, Marriott (which now includes SPG)?

I don't fly very often but I am Platinum with Marriott and typically rack up 140 nights per year between stays and with their CC spending...I should be lifetime Platinum within a couple more years. A few months ago, I opted for the status Match with Hilton and gave them a try for a few stays to see how things worked.

It seemed to me that staying at Marriott and Hilton earned points at about the same clip but Hilton oftentimes wanted 2x-3x the number of points for each night redeemed? In other words, I can stay at a JW or nice Marriott property in most towns for 40k points/night but the Hilton property next door is 75k-90k points per night.

I need to re-read everything you typed up because I feel like I'm probably missing something. What makes Hilton so much better?

Marriott has great hotels. But you outlined the biggest gripe in your post. I don't stay anywhere near 140 nights per year and neither do most people. So credit cards are the main source of point accumulation. Between the Marriott card and the Hilton Reserve, there is no contest on everyday earnings. You will accumulate points at least 3X quicker with Hilton. In that sense, the points redemption is at least on par with Marriott. I stay at some pretty nice hotels, and during times where rates are jacked up due to local events, and I don't think I've ever spent more than 80,000 points for a night. On average, my points redemptions are 40,000 - 50,000 for at least a Hilton-esq quality. Plus, the Reserve gets you automatic Gold status so you get the Executive Club perks in addition to an increased rate of points earning. I've also found Hilton's points promos to be more lucrative than Marriott. On my 30 or so nights a year booking a double points rate and on a 2X points promo, I've been able to rake in some nice hauls. Nice hotels at Marriott start at the 40K range.

Thanks for explaining, it does sound like even though the redemptions are a little higher the ability to earn points at a greater clip will still result in an overall net gain...all things being equal, of course.

Now, time to look to see how long I have to wait again until Hilton will do another status match period. I just ran one with them for 90 days earlier this year, but now it's rolled back to my regular "Blue" status or whatever their lowest tier is.

dipshit obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. obigbo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Did anyone get the metal replacement cards for the Sapphire Reserve?

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by obigbo View Post
    Still waiting on mine. Got approved in early september. Chase claimed I'd have the metal card by end of November, so hopefully any day now.

Quote Originally Posted by obigbo View Post
    Just got mine this week.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Mine was metal from day one, but were in the Chase Private Client status /humble brag

asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    Still waiting on mine. Got approved in early september. Chase claimed I'd have the metal card by end of November, so hopefully any day now.
    Got mine yesterday actually.

Seleccion Suprema No. 1 Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo Shaggy Gold Club Macanudo's Avatar
    Stupid question..... I have a Chase United Explorer card and I've tied it to the Mileaplus X app. On a variety of purchase that I would make, (meals, goods, etc) I can earn miles. Maybe 5 miles per dollar for Dominos or something else. Why shouldn't someone rack up air miles like this and pay for their airfare this way?

Why shouldn't someone rack up air miles like this and pay for their airfare this way?
    That's definitely the name of the game. the points guy has an app that will tell you what card to use for max points depending on gas/groceries/office supplies etc.

I am booking my flight to Eastern Europe SAT-Prague..yada yada Budapest>SAT. Just like when someone goes from Houston to Japan and back you can book a United flight but its actually ANA metal. I assume I'd much rather fly BA metal from DFW to LHR and back right?
    Last edited by midtown; 11-22-2016 at 10:54 AM.

In general, is it wisest to use points for overseas trips instead of say, a cheap flight to New Orleans? Seems like the most value is flying longer intercontinental trips as opposed to shorter jaunts, no?

In general, is it wisest to use points for overseas trips instead of say, a cheap flight to New Orleans?
    That has definitely been my experience except with SWA.

That trip to eastern europe of above is 60k miles on AA. It costs me 50k just to go to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by midtown View Post

That trip to eastern europe of above is 60k miles on AA. It costs me 50k just to go to NYC.
    Can you elaborate because I fly SWA 95% of the time.

The last time I tried to book a trip to the Caribbean on SWA it seemed like they wanted a ton of miles.

Do you have any British Airways Avios? They are much better to use for flying domestically on AA.

White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Chase running another good promo on Ultimate Rewards card.

Chase Ink for business offering up 80K points https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...small-business

Coupled with the Chase Reserve (100K points) its a great point combo.

asshat El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri's Avatar
    got my Sapphire Reserve. Hoping to use the 100k bonus for airfare for the 6 of us to Disney this summer

Do you have any British Airways Avios? They are much better to use for flying domestically on AA.
    I do not and all my AA miles are through an AA credit card which you can not transfer to BA. Which adds a question to the pros on here as far as FF programs. How do I make sure I earn miles on United when flying Lufthansa in April? I did sign up for a Lufthansa ff account but would much rather those be on United.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    I think I may be the only one left that books travel based on itinerary. Sitting in an airport for 6 hours or spending an extra night in Wichita to save a few bucks isn't my cup of tea. Sure, I don't have any impressive status on any one given airline or hotel (despite 100,000 miles/year and several dozen nights in myriad hotels), but I also don't have to spend any extra time away from my family to earn a few extra points on a $#@!ty credit card scam.
    I haven't paid for a flight in years thanks to the credit card scam. I have never had an overnight or a 6-hour layover on an award ticket, and almost every flight has been either non- or one-stop.

How do I make sure I earn miles on United when flying Lufthansa in April? I did sign up for a Lufthansa ff account but would much rather those be on United.
    You can add your United account details on the Lufthansa flight and get United miles for it.

Quote Originally Posted by VABuckeye View Post
    So you can transfer Reserve points to BA and then use them on AA? Man, this is a lot to keep up with.

asshat El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri Shaggy Bronze Club El Tri's Avatar
    So you can transfer Reserve points to BA and then use them on AA? Man, this is a lot to keep up with.
    that's what i read on thepointsguy... this is interesting because it's cheaper to fly to the caribbean doing this. earn reserve points, transfer to BA, book an AA flight using those BA Avios miles since AA is affiliated with BA. but you can't really see all the AA flights on BA.com, so you have to search first on AA.com, then call BA to make a reservation for that flight.

confusing as $#@!
    Last edited by El Tri; 11-30-2016 at 03:54 PM.

correct.

transfer ultimate rewards points from chase to BA and then use them all for AA flights within the US.

BA uses a distance based award chart

for example, a trip of 1150 miles or less, they charge 15k miles for a roundtrip flight

asshat Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lazytexasfan View Post
    correct.

transfer ultimate rewards points from chase to BA and then use them all for AA flights within the US.

for example, a trip of 1150 miles or less, they charge 15k miles for a roundtrip flight
    But it's based on segment, so if you connect, it jacks it up.

Yes but you can't transfer AA miles to BA. That's what has me screwed up.

And who wants to chime in on the fact that Lufthansa won't let me pick a seat for a long haul flight in April without paying $35. The guy at Chase said they will release the seats 24 hrs before the flight but I dont want to take a chance on a $#@!ty seat for a 7 and 10 hour leg. Is there a way around that?

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    Pay $35?

Pay $35?
    I hate paying for seats but was about to do that but that option appears to be gone as well.

So I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve card and have already hit the 100k bonus. I am thinking of getting the chase ink business reserve card for another 80K bonus points. Then I am planning to have my wife open one of each card and get the bonus points for herself. The ultimate goal is to fly business class from Houston to either Europe or SE Asia. Whats the best way to accomplish this? I feel overwhelmed with the number of partner airlines to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by lazytexasfan View Post
    correct.

You can also transfer Amex points to BA Avios. Once or twice a year they offer a bonus on transfers. I've gotten as many as 1.4 Avios for 1 Amex MR point.

Quote Originally Posted by El Tri View Post
    that's what i read on thepointsguy... this is interesting because it's cheaper to fly to the caribbean doing this. earn reserve points, transfer to BA, book an AA flight using those BA Avios miles since AA is affiliated with BA. but you can't really see all the AA flights on BA.com, so you have to search first on AA.com, then call BA to make a reservation for that flight.

confusing as $#@!
    Yeah, OW has a crappy system. If you want to fly to Madrid, maybe you'll get lucky on AA.com. But, you won't see Iberia flights unless you use BA.com. Then, you have to call AA to redeem your AAdvantage miles to book an Iberia flight that you had to go to another website to search for. Of the OW partners, Qantas has the best search engine for availability. You'll still need to call the carrier you have miles with to book, but at least it consolidates things a bit.

Domestic flights are easy. If there is a direct flight on AA, it will be available on BA at their redemption rates. The only issue I've had with them is that sometimes there are too many flights to fit in the page. If you can't see it, you have to call and won't be able to book online using BA miles. One advantage with BA is canceling your flight. You immediately get the miles back in your account and forfeit the taxes, which are usually $6 for a round trip flight. If you cancel an AA award, or want to make changes, it's $200+ if you don't have status. I've booked a flight for the USC game from JFK-LAX for next Sept without knowing whether or not my work schedule will allow it. If I need to cancel, or change my departure port, I'm out $6.

Yes but you can't transfer AA miles to BA. That's what has me screwed up.

And who wants to chime in on the fact that Lufthansa won't let me pick a seat for a long haul flight in April without paying $35. The guy at Chase said they will release the seats 24 hrs before the flight but I dont want to take a chance on a $#@!ty seat for a 7 and 10 hour leg. Is there a way around that?
    This is pretty much true using alien miles for a partner carrier anywhere. Same deal using AA miles to fly on BA. I typically monitor the seating and only pull the trigger if it looks like things are filling up.

RE: IHG

I've stayed at 2 different HIs and an Intercontinental in the last few days. HI are better than I expected and relatively on par with Hamptons. I give the edge to HI for breakfast selections. But, Doubletree and Hilton+ beat the $#@! out of IC's amenities and lounges. Maybe it was the property I stayed at, but there is a horrible selection for breakfast and happy hour. One point I'll give IHG is that they allow you to get 500-600 bonus points in lieu of a welcome drink. Hilton makes you choose between points or breakfast, which is bull$#@!. The only reason I stayed at IHG properties was to top off their points promo. (33,500 points for staying at various properties) I think I'm going to use them sparingly in the future as I still can't wrap my head around their redemption rates. Seriously, you want 25,000 points for a HI in Berlin that I can book outright for €60? Or, 15,000 points + $70 on a cash and points rate? (Uh, why wouldn't I just save my points at that rate?!?) Hilton would be 40,000 points or 12,000 + $60.00 instead of $200.00. The ROI for IHG on properties that aren't top tier is horrendous. I can see using what I earn + my free credit card night for a 3 night stay somewhere. It's not a spoon to climb a mountain, but it's trending towards an ice pick. Beyond that, meh. There are easier programs to manipulate.

I only use IHG redemptions at high end properties. Spending new years in Tokyo and hotels were $800/night at the nice Intercontinental... used points for 50k/night.

I only use IHG redemptions at high end properties. Spending new years in Tokyo and hotels were $800/night at the nice Intercontinental... used points for 50k/night.
    That would be my plan too. But, unless you are Spire, it seems like a PITA to build up your account to 200K for 4 nights + a credit card night. They don't have the same rocket fuel beyond an extra 1,000/5,000 points rate. The CC is only 5X the rate on $ spent at their properties. So, theoretically, it will take you about 7-8 stays to get that 50,000 benchmark. I can typically clear 20,000 a.i. off 1 Hilton stay. (Double points Rate, points promo, elite earning and credit card) Their top tier hotels are 80,000 if you want an all-inclusive. So I can achieve the same thing in half the time.

Just not for me. You are doing it right.

asshat Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8 Shaggy Silver Club Longhornmaniac8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    RE: IHG

I've stayed at 2 different HIs and an Intercontinental in the last few days. HI are better than I expected and relatively on par with Hamptons. I give the edge to HI for breakfast selections. But, Doubletree and Hilton+ beat the $#@! out of IC's amenities and lounges. Maybe it was the property I stayed at, but there is a horrible selection for breakfast and happy hour. One point I'll give IHG is that they allow you to get 500-600 bonus points in lieu of a welcome drink. Hilton makes you choose between points or breakfast, which is bull$#@!. The only reason I stayed at IHG properties was to top off their points promo. (33,500 points for staying at various properties) I think I'm going to use them sparingly in the future as I still can't wrap my head around their redemption rates. Seriously, you want 25,000 points for a HI in Berlin that I can book outright for €60? Or, 15,000 points + $70 on a cash and points rate? (Uh, why wouldn't I just save my points at that rate?!?) Hilton would be 40,000 points or 12,000 + $60.00 instead of $200.00. The ROI for IHG on properties that aren't top tier is horrendous. I can see using what I earn + my free credit card night for a 3 night stay somewhere. It's not a spoon to climb a mountain, but it's trending towards an ice pick. Beyond that, meh. There are easier programs to manipulate.
    Holiday Inns are not on the same level is Hamptons.

Hampton=Holiday Inn Express
    Hilton Garden Inn<Holiday Inn<Hilton
    Doubletree=Crown Plaza (more or less)
    Intercontinental<Conrad

At least that's how I see it. As far as redemptions, everyone has their own strategy, but points, at least for me, create access to properties I can't afford to pay for normally. So in that sense, the top of IHG's award chart is markedly better than Hilton. Although with that said, I was able to book a Deluxe Suite at the Conrad Dubai for 64K points/night, and after status matching to Diamond from IHG Platinum, managed an upgrade to the Executive Suite. The standard room was 70K points/night, so I'm not totally sure what was up there, but it worked out in my favor.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but point values are in the eye of the beholder. What is most important to you? Do you need the $#@! tingle of checking into the Presidential suite or an extra few nights at a decent hotel in Oahu to relax at the beach? I've been blessed to have stayed at some pretty swanky places that I could never afford. With the exception of a few, they pale in comparison to the time spent enjoying another day of the trip. I actually have friends that refuse to take trips unless they can fly business+ or stay at top hotels. That blows my mind completely. When did travel become a FB check-in contest instead of "Holy $#@!, Hitler started the Nazis from that spot" and totally cool about having a continental breakfast to witness it?

Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    I don't necessarily disagree with you, but point values are in the eye of the beholder. What is most important to you? Do you need the $#@! tingle of checking into the Presidential suite or an extra few nights at a decent hotel in Oahu to relax at the beach? I've been blessed to have stayed at some pretty swanky places that I could never afford. With the exception of a few, they pale in comparison to the time spent enjoying another day of the trip. I actually have friends that refuse to take trips unless they can fly business+ or stay at top hotels. That blows my mind completely. When did travel become a FB check-in contest instead of "Holy $#@!, Hitler started the Nazis from that spot" and totally cool about having a continental breakfast to witness it?
    This is my plan. Use points for flights, probably all in coach. Hotels, sure, if it's a free place to sleep and not a Motel 6. Getting me to the destination for cheap where I can then enjoy the world is my main goal.

Wife and I are in the early brainstorming phase of planning a 12-14 day trip to France/Italy this coming July. We've done Italy before and love it. We'd like to do a few days in Paris, hopefully a day in the Normandy area, go down for some beach days in the South of France (maybe Saint-Tropez?), then finish with a few nights on the Italian Riviera. So basically 3 locations with 3-5 nights in each spot. We aren't firm on any of this, just kicking ideas around.

We have about 230k Chase points, 125k Club Carlson points, and about 50k United miles. I figure we'll convert some of those Chase points to United miles to cover airfare from DFW in coach class. It should take about 120k United miles for the 2 of us to fly coach round trip, leaving us with 160k Chase points.

Any recommendations on getting some hotel points for the time in Paris? There are a couple of Radisson Blu properties that I could apply our Club Carlson points towards, but I could also open a new card for Hyatt or Hilton if that will put us in a significantly better hotel. It doesn't have to be 5-star as long as it's in a good location.

I'd probably prefer NOT to convert Chase points to hotel points because they seem much more valuable when converted to air miles, unless I'm overlooking some killer deals somewhere.

I assume we'll just book local hotels in Saint-Tropez or wherever that part ends up being, but I'm open to suggestions there as well.
    Last edited by wild_turkey; 12-10-2016 at 11:55 AM.

^^ remember that you get a "free" flight within the region if you book on united with miles and "multi-city" trip.

For example round trip SFO to Paris is the same amount of miles as SFO - Paris, Paris - Rome, Rome - SFO.

It's a good trick I learned that's has been gold on multi city vacations in the same region.

I think its better to use your Chase points to book the flight through their travel service because you will actually EARN miles.

I think its better to use your Chase points to book the flight through their travel service because you will actually EARN miles.
    depends on the price

Quote Originally Posted by wild_turkey View Post
    Wife and I are in the early brainstorming phase of planning a 12-14 day trip to France/Italy this coming July. We've done Italy before and love it. We'd like to do a few days in Paris, hopefully a day in the Normandy area, go down for some beach days in the South of France (maybe Saint-Tropez?), then finish with a few nights on the Italian Riviera. So basically 3 locations with 3-5 nights in each spot. We aren't firm on any of this, just kicking ideas around.

We have about 230k Chase points, 125k Club Carlson points, and about 50k United miles. I figure we'll convert some of those Chase points to United miles to cover airfare from DFW in coach class. It should take about 120k United miles for the 2 of us to fly coach round trip, leaving us with 160k Chase points.

Any recommendations on getting some hotel points for the time in Paris? There are a couple of Radisson Blu properties that I could apply our Club Carlson points towards, but I could also open a new card for Hyatt or Hilton if that will put us in a significantly better hotel. It doesn't have to be 5-star as long as it's in a good location.

I'd probably prefer NOT to convert Chase points to hotel points because they seem much more valuable when converted to air miles, unless I'm overlooking some killer deals somewhere.

I assume we'll just book local hotels in Saint-Tropez or wherever that part ends up being, but I'm open to suggestions there as well.
    Both of you get the Hyatt card independently. 4 nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome is worth it. Excellent hotel, even better service and a few blocks from the Paris Opera. You can even take the Roissybus from CDG and get dropped off a 5 minute walk away. The Radisson Blus in Paris aren't worth the high redemptions in Paris IMO. If you want to split, the Park Hyatt Milan is almost on par with the Vendome. Or, one of you get the Hyatt card and the other gets the Hilton Reserve. The Vendome in Paris and the Waldorf in Rome is a nice combo. (The latter is only good for weekends though) You'll get free breakfast and Internet with both cards. Use Club Carlson points for lesser cities.

Why not split your award? 60K United points is 2 Coach one way tickets. You can book the return through Chase on another airline using an open jaw ticket. May not be the way to go, but worth looking at. Or transfer 10K points to United to complete the award and book the other one on United through Chase. Sometimes they have decent deals that require less points than a redemption. Unless your goal is Business+ Then it's a no-brained to transfer.

Alright travel nerdz...

Any way to exploit this for miles + giftcards?
    https://upside.com/

asshat 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5's Avatar
    a word to the wise

if you log on to Chase UR and look at hotels, trying to make vacation plans

then don't book, and log off

then log on again to book, the cost in points will definitely be higher

so be ready to book the 1st time you log on

asshat texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago Shaggy Gold Club texasdago's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th and 5 View Post
    a word to the wise

if you log on to Chase UR and look at hotels, trying to make vacation plans

then don't book, and log off

then log on again to book, the cost in points will definitely be higher

so be ready to book the 1st time you log on
    Or clear your cookies

Chase running another good promo on Ultimate Rewards card.

Chase Ink for business offering up 80K points https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...small-business

Coupled with the Chase Reserve (100K points) its a great point combo.
    FYI finally received the card. Besides the 80K points, it has 3x/$ on travel, online advertising, phone/TV/cell/internet expenses AND all cellphone bills paid with this card give you phone insurance for lost/stolen/damage cell phones for $600 coverage per phone. That's a great coverage to replace expensive phones like iPhones.

The $75 yearly fee is waived if you apply at a branch.

FYI, just read that the 100k bonus on the Sapphire Reserve card is expiring on January 11th. Will be dropping back to a 50k bonus after that.
    Last edited by McCroskey; 01-04-2017 at 06:34 AM.

asshat bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club
    Just got approved on reserve card

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast