+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 298

Thread: The Art of Travel- A Spankytoes Manifesto

  1. #201
    asshat 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    14,690
    Quote Originally Posted by McCroskey View Post
    FYI, just read that the 100k bonus on the Sapphire Reserve card is expiring on January 11th. Will be dropping back to a 50k bonus after that.
    We already had it under my name but just signed my wife up to get the 100,000. That will give us close to 175,000 in ultimate rewards and 144,000 on Amex. A trip to Japan is the goal.

  • #202
    asshat bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club bluto Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    16,686
    Pretty sure that Jan 11 deadline is online apps only, you can still go to a chase location and apply there through March

  • #203
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    FYI finally received the card. Besides the 80K points, it has 3x/$ on travel, online advertising, phone/TV/cell/internet expenses AND all cellphone bills paid with this card give you phone insurance for lost/stolen/damage cell phones for $600 coverage per phone. That's a great coverage to replace expensive phones like iPhones.

    The $75 yearly fee is waived if you apply at a branch.
    Just hit the spending requirement on the Ink business card.

    So now the wife and I have over 300k chase points (100k x2 for the Reserve cards, 80k for the Ink Biz, plus the spend requirements).

  • #204
    asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Tarrytown, in a Mercedes
    Posts
    17,536
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Just got approved on reserve card
    Mine came in yesterday.

  • #205
    According to CBS, the 100k bonus expires tomorrow on 1/12.

    Card has really lived upto the hype thus far. I have not really explored the complimentary Priority Pass lounges at all though. Looks like there is one in international terminal D22 at DFW. Anybody been? Curious how it compares to the Centurion Lounges.

  • #206
    Card has really lived upto the hype thus far
    The purchase protection saved me some coin recently when I had to return a piece of jewelry that the seller wouldn't take back after 30 days. Just got a call yesterday that they are cutting me a check as we speak. Just including the $300 travel credit and this return I am well past even on this card after only 4 months. That doesn't include the $1,500 in free flights. Since you really only making up $150 of the $500 annual fee, that right there pretty much makes this card free for me for almost another 10 years.

    Curious how it compares to the Centurion Lounges.
    I've used the one at LHR. Its pretty sparse and small. No view. but they had free food and drinks. Ill try the one out at EWR in April but I'm not holding out for much. This is a very small perk IMO.
    Last edited by midtown; 01-11-2017 at 06:12 PM.

  • #207
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Quote Originally Posted by DalBear View Post
    I have not really explored the complimentary Priority Pass lounges at all though. Looks like there is one in international terminal D22 at DFW. Anybody been? Curious how it compares to the Centurion Lounges.
    I've tried to use Priority Pass at 5 airports now and it's never in the terminals I'm in. So, that benefit is disappointing (for me)

  • #208
    asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    HC SVNT DRACONES
    Posts
    18,380
    Quote Originally Posted by DalBear View Post
    According to CBS, the 100k bonus expires tomorrow on 1/12.

    Card has really lived upto the hype thus far. I have not really explored the complimentary Priority Pass lounges at all though. Looks like there is one in international terminal D22 at DFW. Anybody been? Curious how it compares to the Centurion Lounges.
    best use for priority pass is typically small-medium sized airports where there are no flagship carrier lounges, and smaller airport means the independent lounges are easily accessible without terminal or otherwise physical segregation.

    they contract with some flagship lounges in some certain airports, and some independent lounges are nice, but most wouldnt be characterized as nice.

    centurion lounges i put on par with a business lounge from a top Asian carrier (like Cathay's). better than anything domestic. a notch below First class lounges.

  • #209
    bunghole Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses Sam Lin grows his own roses
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    AZ, BKK, ROC
    Posts
    146
    Domestic Priority Pass sorta sucks, small lounges in oddball terminals with crap amenities. If you fly international, then Priority Pass has real value, the lounges are sometimes better than carrier lounges.

    Sam

  • #210
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Just wanted to give major props to Rocketmiles.com. I have some upcoming work travel in Europe and the areas I'm visiting don't have any convenient hotels for the chains I usually stay at to gain rewards/points/status.

    So, I used Rocketmiles to at least get miles for airline programs I like. On 1 night in London and 3 nights in Barcelona, I'll get 11,000 miles for Virgin, which gets me the miles I was missing for a nice reward flight. Hell of a deal. The prices are only slightly higher ($10-$15/night) than hotels.com but I get a ton of miles, great option for business travel.

    Highly recommended!

    If anyone needs a referral code (1000 bonus miles for you to the airline of your choice, and 1000 bonus miles for me) use this link.

  • #211
    bunghole NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck Shaggy Bronze Club NWBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Up in here, up in here
    Posts
    211
    Huge thank you for this thread, Shagsters (esp. Spanky). Got 260,000 Chase points, and more on the way.
    The goal will be to use those for a family trip to Ethiopia at the end of the year, so any recommendations would continue to be appreciated.

  • #212
    bunghole cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southwest Austin
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Pretty sure that Jan 11 deadline is online apps only, you can still go to a chase location and apply there through March
    this is correct. i just went in an signed up.

    anyone know is the $300 travel credit works with txtag tolls?

  • #213
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    21,079
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    Just wanted to give major props to Rocketmiles.com. I have some upcoming work travel in Europe and the areas I'm visiting don't have any convenient hotels for the chains I usually stay at to gain rewards/points/status.

    So, I used Rocketmiles to at least get miles for airline programs I like. On 1 night in London and 3 nights in Barcelona, I'll get 11,000 miles for Virgin, which gets me the miles I was missing for a nice reward flight. Hell of a deal. The prices are only slightly higher ($10-$15/night) than hotels.com but I get a ton of miles, great option for business travel.

    Highly recommended!

    If anyone needs a referral code (1000 bonus miles for you to the airline of your choice, and 1000 bonus miles for me) use this link.
    Yeah, Rocketmiles is solid. I've forgone earning at Hilton several times because I could get 10,000 AA miles at another hotel for the same price. Not a great option is you may need to cancel your plans as most buys are non-refundable.

  • #214
    asshat 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    14,690
    with the $300 chase credit...do you get it back at the end of the year or when you reach $300?

  • #215
    bunghole Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable is a rep whore. Mappable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tarrytown
    Posts
    187
    got any opinions about this 100k points offer from amex for platinum card? i have an amex busines gold rewards card.

    Earn up to 100,000 Membership Rewards® points.1 Earn 50,000 points after you spend $5,000 and an extra 50,000 points after you spend an additional $10,000 all on qualifying purchases on the Business Platinum® Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.

    Hurry! Offer expires 1/25/17.

    Enjoy Enhanced Benefits
    • NEW: Get 50% more points.2 That’s 1.5 points per dollar on each qualifying purchase of $5,000 or more. Up to 1 million additional Membership Rewards® points per year.
    • ENHANCED: 50% points back on flights.3 Select a qualifying airline. Use Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of your flight with that airline, and you can get 50% of the points back. You can also receive 50% points back on all First and Business class flights, with ALL airlines available through American Express Travel.

    Elevate your Travel Experiences
    • $200 Airline Fee Credit*4: Select a qualifying airline and then receive up to $200 a year in statement credits when incidental fees, such as checked bags, are charged by the airline to your Business Platinum Card Account
    • Global Lounge Collection: With your Business Platinum Card®, enjoy complimentary access to over 1,000 airport lounges, including The Centurion® lounge network5, Delta Sky Clubs®6, and Airspace Lounges7. You can also enroll in Priority Pass™ Select8, on us.

    These are just a few of the benefits of the Business Platinum Card from American Express OPEN, yours for an annual fee of $450.9 Apply now for a Card that can enhance your business with the extra benefits, service, and special treatment you deserve.

  • #216
    Quote Originally Posted by cozmo View Post
    this is correct. i just went in an signed up.

    anyone know is the $300 travel credit works with txtag tolls?
    Yes the credit is applied to TxTag tolls.



  • #217
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th&Five View Post
    with the $300 chase credit...do you get it back at the end of the year or when you reach $300?
    You will receive a credit for each charge you make up to a total of $300. It will post usually on the same day as the charge.



  • #218
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    21,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Mappable View Post
    got any opinions about this 100k points offer from amex for platinum card? i have an amex busines gold rewards card.[/INDENT]
    Not worth the annual fee.

  • #219
    asshat 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five Shaggy Gold Club 4th&Five's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    14,690
    Quote Originally Posted by 84Horn View Post
    You will receive a credit for each charge you make up to a total of $300. It will post usually on the same day as the charge.


    sweet. thanks. you can tell i really read the fine print.

  • #220
    asshat ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas Shaggy Silver Club ousuxndallas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,002
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    Not worth the annual fee.
    Respectfully disagree.

    $450 annual fee, less $200 travel expense reimbursement, so $250. 100,000 points that can be changed into BA miles, used to buy round trip tickets on AA at a 15,000 miles per round trip (for a lot of DFW itineraries). So, 6 round trips on AA for $250. Good deal.

  • #221
    Quote Originally Posted by ousuxndallas View Post
    Respectfully disagree.

    $450 annual fee, less $200 travel expense reimbursement, so $250. 100,000 points that can be changed into BA miles, used to buy round trip tickets on AA at a 15,000 miles per round trip (for a lot of DFW itineraries). So, 6 round trips on AA for $250. Good deal.
    Amex Plat has been hounding me for awhile. They have the same annual fee as CSR and the Black/Luxury Card (not worth the mention, and actually higher). CSR beats Amex Platinum every day of the week and twice on Sundays. If your spending habits are vastly different - i.e. no restaurants and all airline purchases, then more power to ya - hit up the Amex Plat. I just don't see the allure for Amex in the same class category.

  • #222
    asshat 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club 5280 Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    HC SVNT DRACONES
    Posts
    18,380
    Amex has slightly favorable exchange rate (I use both same day same place). Their purchase protection plans are great...1 minute online claim form and claim resolution in a jiffy. Access to centurion lounges. Etc.

    Mines great. Downside is less broad acceptance and their points are slightly less valuable im

  • #223
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    21,079
    Quote Originally Posted by ousuxndallas View Post
    Respectfully disagree.

    $450 annual fee, less $200 travel expense reimbursement, so $250. 100,000 points that can be changed into BA miles, used to buy round trip tickets on AA at a 15,000 miles per round trip (for a lot of DFW itineraries). So, 6 round trips on AA for $250. Good deal.
    Couldn't you just get the BA card for no annual fee and something like a Chase Ink for a $99 fee? BA also has 100,000 mile promos for their cards every so often. What's the benefit of paying a net of $250? There are only a handful of Centurion Lounges and the regular lounges worth visiting with the AMEX are typically not in the same terminal as AA/BA. Then the only benefit is having an AMEX for car rentals, which is a great strategy but can be accomplished with a different card.

    It may be worth it if you are churning because you keep Chase's 5 cards/24 months rule in tact. But I doubt most are opening up 5 cards in 2 years.

  • #224
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    21,079
    As a correction, the Chase Ink is now 80,000 points and a $95 annual fee. So that would be 130,000 BA Avios for $95 rather than 100,000 with AMEX for a net annual fee of $250. Getting 2 cards instead of just 1 is worth the extra $150 and Chase has better transfer partners and a better points earning rate than the AMEX. (Notably Southwest Airlines if you are talking domestic flights from Dallas and United if you're going international) The Ink is one of the only cards that I pay the annual fee rather than cancelling.

    https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/Ink...sPreferred/8tk

    DFW-LGW 30,000 United
    LHR-AMS 4,500 BA
    AMS-FCO 7,500 BA
    FCO-MAD 7,500 BA (Flying Iberia)
    MAD-DFW 30,000 United

    Still 45,000 miles to spare, or 3 round trip flights at 7,500 each way using BA. Or, 4 trips DAL-LGA on Southwest.

  • #225
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    Couldn't you just get the BA card for no annual fee and something like a Chase Ink for a $99 fee? BA also has 100,000 mile promos for their cards every so often. What's the benefit of paying a net of $250? There are only a handful of Centurion Lounges and the regular lounges worth visiting with the AMEX are typically not in the same terminal as AA/BA. Then the only benefit is having an AMEX for car rentals, which is a great strategy but can be accomplished with a different card.

    It may be worth it if you are churning because you keep Chase's 5 cards/24 months rule in tact. But I doubt most are opening up 5 cards in 2 years.
    The only thing I might disagree with is that I consider the net fee to be $50 since you can use the $200 travel credit next January before the annual fee comes due again. This is much better if you are getting the card late in the year but it is something to keep in mind when deciding.

  • #226
    asshat ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? ZB'Tejas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Some East Sixth Hipster Bar
    Posts
    2,509
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    Couldn't you just get the BA card for no annual fee and something like a Chase Ink for a $99 fee? BA also has 100,000 mile promos for their cards every so often. What's the benefit of paying a net of $250? There are only a handful of Centurion Lounges and the regular lounges worth visiting with the AMEX are typically not in the same terminal as AA/BA. Then the only benefit is having an AMEX for car rentals, which is a great strategy but can be accomplished with a different card.
    With so many of my flights connecting through Dallas or ending in NY or SF I use the Centurion Lounge quite often so I think it's well worth the benefit.

    However what I don't do a good job of is utilizing all of the $200 credit. Has anyone confirmed that they no longer allow you to buy gift cert and get reimbursed? What are some other examples of how people are using this? I typically just find myself buying a few extra drinks or food on the flights but rarely use the whole thing.

  • #227
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    As a correction, the Chase Ink is now 80,000 points and a $95 annual fee. So that would be 130,000 BA Avios for $95 rather than 100,000 with AMEX for a net annual fee of $250. Getting 2 cards instead of just 1 is worth the extra $150 and Chase has better transfer partners and a better points earning rate than the AMEX. (Notably Southwest Airlines if you are talking domestic flights from Dallas and United if you're going international) The Ink is one of the only cards that I pay the annual fee rather than cancelling.

    https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/Ink...sPreferred/8tk

    DFW-LGW 30,000 United
    LHR-AMS 4,500 BA
    AMS-FCO 7,500 BA
    FCO-MAD 7,500 BA (Flying Iberia)
    MAD-DFW 30,000 United

    Still 45,000 miles to spare, or 3 round trip flights at 7,500 each way using BA. Or, 4 trips DAL-LGA on Southwest.
    Why do you keep the Ink card beyond a year??

    I have it now (for the 80K points) but planned get rid of it after a year. I have the Ink Business one btw, which is 3x on travel (my Reserve is too, and 3x on restaurants which Ink is only 1x). The only cool features of the Ink is the free cellphone insurance (replace our iphones up to $600/each if lost or stolen or broken) and the 3x on internet/cellphone/cable.
    Last edited by LongIslandIceSIP; 01-26-2017 at 01:52 PM.

  • #228
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    21,079
    Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandIceSIP View Post
    Why do you keep the Ink card beyond a year??

    I have it now (for the 80K points) but planned get rid of it after a year. I have the Ink Business one btw, which is 3x on travel (my Reserve is too, and 3x on restaurants which Ink is only 1x). The only cool features of the Ink is the free cellphone insurance (replace our iphones up to $600/each if lost or stolen or broken) and the 3x on internet/cellphone/cable.
    If you have a BA card or Southwest card, how many points do you get from non-airfare purchases? 1 point per $1. How many do you get from Ink? Between 1-3 points per $1 depending on the nature of the purchase. If I spend $1,000.00 in Staples on the BA or SW card, I get 1,000 miles. If I spend it on the Ink, I can have 3,000 miles. And, I can choose if I want to transfer to BA or SW instead of being tied down to whatever card I felt like whipping out that day. Same logic applies for regular purchases. The Ink gives me choices, namely with SWA, BA and United depending on my need to redeem for my chosen destination.

    Then there's choosing an airline and using the Ink to shop at Staples through their shopping portal to double or triple this output...

    I don't use my personal cards for eating out much, but I do pay for phone and internet on my Ink. The two cards are pretty interchangeable based on your needs. Same principle with both.

  • #229
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,713
    Dumb question: If I book through SWA using my Rapid Rewards number and pay with the Reserve, I don't get double points right? Points on my RR account and then points on my Reserve card. Surely they have thought of this.

  • #230
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    21,079
    Quote Originally Posted by ZB'Tejas View Post
    With so many of my flights connecting through Dallas or ending in NY or SF I use the Centurion Lounge quite often so I think it's well worth the benefit.

    However what I don't do a good job of is utilizing all of the $200 credit. Has anyone confirmed that they no longer allow you to buy gift cert and get reimbursed? What are some other examples of how people are using this? I typically just find myself buying a few extra drinks or food on the flights but rarely use the whole thing.
    Non-AA or BA connecting flights are a different story. If you fly Delta a lot, for example, then it would be very worth it for you. But, he was talking about flights originating at DFW. No one is going to go to DFW 4 hours early to lounge around for an hour and then have to take the Skylink to Terminal A or D. Unless you are regularly flying to the cities with the other 6 domestic lounges, it's a lost benefit. You can buy 5 AAdmiral's club day passes for the net annual fee cost.

  • #231
    asshat spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes Probably Shaggy upper class spankytoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Not that Long Beach, the other one
    Posts
    21,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    Dumb question: If I book through SWA using my Rapid Rewards number and pay with the Reserve, I don't get double points right? Points on my RR account and then points on my Reserve card. Surely they have thought of this.
    You will get 3 points per dollar for your purchase and earn points based on the cost of the fare from Southwest. When you select the flight, it will tell you how many points you will earn from flying. They are 2 separate transactions that both earn you points.

  • #232
    asshat Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen Shaggy Gold Club Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hill Valley, CA
    Posts
    10,713
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    You will get 3 points per dollar for your purchase and earn points based on the cost of the fare from Southwest. When you select the flight, it will tell you how many points you will earn from flying. They are 2 separate transactions that both earn you points.
    Awesome.

  • #233
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    Yeah, Rocketmiles is solid. I've forgone earning at Hilton several times because I could get 10,000 AA miles at another hotel for the same price. Not a great option is you may need to cancel your plans as most buys are non-refundable.
    I don't quite understand how Rocketmiles works. It seems as though you either earn Rocketmiles or the regular program miles the way I read it. What is the advantage of using Rocketmiles?

  • #234
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Quote Originally Posted by shakahorn View Post
    I don't quite understand how Rocketmiles works. It seems as though you either earn Rocketmiles or the regular program miles the way I read it. What is the advantage of using Rocketmiles?
    On Rocketmiles you pick an airline program to gain miles instead of hotel points.

    So, instead of getting Hilton points for staying at a Hilton, I could get 10k virgin miles instead.



  • #235
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Quote Originally Posted by spankytoes View Post
    If you have a BA card or Southwest card, how many points do you get from non-airfare purchases? 1 point per $1. How many do you get from Ink? Between 1-3 points per $1 depending on the nature of the purchase. If I spend $1,000.00 in Staples on the BA or SW card, I get 1,000 miles. If I spend it on the Ink, I can have 3,000 miles. And, I can choose if I want to transfer to BA or SW instead of being tied down to whatever card I felt like whipping out that day. Same logic applies for regular purchases. The Ink gives me choices, namely with SWA, BA and United depending on my need to redeem for my chosen destination.

    Then there's choosing an airline and using the Ink to shop at Staples through their shopping portal to double or triple this output...

    I don't use my personal cards for eating out much, but I do pay for phone and internet on my Ink. The two cards are pretty interchangeable based on your needs. Same principle with both.
    Well yes, but instead of the Ink, why not keep the Reserve instead for only $50 net more per year but way more earning potential.

    I guess you don't eat out much? We spent close to $30k in "dinning" which is 90K points (vs 30k points on Ink).

    I never shop at staples.



  • #236
    asshat 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    fighting crime fighting
    Posts
    4,310
    Amateur.

    You buy gasoline? Shop at Amazon? Lowes? Home Depot? Fly Southwest? Kids like iTunes? Eat at $#@!ty chains? Wife gotta have Starbucks?

    Gift cards. I abuse the $#@! out of my Ink card. For gas alone. Would never let that one go.

  • #237
    SWA card pays 3 points per $1 at some stores. Lowe's online is one if you access the site from the SWA portal. Dropped $8K recently online at Lowe's for a remodel and received 24K Rapid Reward points.

  • #238
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Quote Originally Posted by 4th and 5 View Post
    Amateur.

    You buy gasoline? Shop at Amazon? Lowes? Home Depot? Fly Southwest? Kids like iTunes? Eat at $#@!ty chains? Wife gotta have Starbucks?

    Gift cards. I abuse the $#@! out of my Ink card. For gas alone. Would never let that one go.
    Wait, I think you and spanky are talking about the ink cash back.

    I have ink preferred which give UR points instead of cash back.

    Also, ink reserve does NOT reward staples:

    3 points per $1
    Earn 3 points per $1 on the first $150,000 spent in combined purchases on travel, shipping purchases, Internet, cable and phone services, and on advertising purchases made with social media sites and search engines each account anniversary year.*

    Earn unlimited 1 Point Per $1 spent on all other purchases. Points do not expire as long as your account is open.*


    I think I can get more value out of UR than cash back. Anyway to get UR out of your version of Ink?



  • #239
    asshat 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5 Shaggy Gold Club 4th and 5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    fighting crime fighting
    Posts
    4,310
    Ink. The old card not the new one. Whatever they call it, I have 2. I had 3.

    5x for office supplies aka gift cards for $#@! I buy all the time at Office Depot/max

    For UR not cash back.

  • #240
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,797
    Hmm it appears they don't offer that card anymore



  • #241
    asshat lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    3,528
    That would be the Ink Business +. It gone.

    Word is that they're going to be doing targeted offers for the Ink Business Preferred for 100k points on signup. Makes complete sense as I was just approved for the 80k offer this week.

  • #242
    My wife and I are planning a trip to Australia from DFW for the end of the year and also looking at getting new credit cards. Which ones would help us the most for flying and staying down there?
    Last edited by Longhornlax; 02-17-2017 at 01:14 PM.

  • #243
    asshat lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Oak Hill
    Posts
    3,528
    If you've both got good credit you need to both go get the Sapphire Reserves (one for each of you) in a Chase branch before 3/12 (I believe that's the cutoff for the 100k offer).

  • #244
    Will be flying through IAH in a couple weeks and want to use my Priority Pass lounge access. It looks like there are two of them there - one is KLM lounge and the other is Air France, both in Terminal D. Anyone use either one? Is one better than the other? Free booze, right?

    I assume all international flights leave out of D, even the ones on domestic carriers, right?

  • #245
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Will be flying through IAH in a couple weeks and want to use my Priority Pass lounge access. It looks like there are two of them there - one is KLM lounge and the other is Air France, both in Terminal D. Anyone use either one? Is one better than the other? Free booze, right?

    I assume all international flights leave out of D, even the ones on domestic carriers, right?
    don't know about AF vs. KLM lounge, but curious to see what others say. i may be in the same boat in a couple months.

    but, all international flights do not leave out of D. only the foreign carriers fly out of D (along with some united express international flight arrivals).

    all united mainline international flights arrive/depart out of terminal E

  • #246
    Did the Chase branch folks put the hard sell on any of y'all that went in to get the Saphire Reserve card to sign up for an account or anything ?

    My GF wants the card and I'm thinking I should go with her so she doesn't get talked into to some BS.

  • #247
    Quote Originally Posted by lazytexasfan View Post
    don't know about AF vs. KLM lounge, but curious to see what others say. i may be in the same boat in a couple months.

    but, all international flights do not leave out of D. only the foreign carriers fly out of D (along with some united express international flight arrivals).

    all united mainline international flights arrive/depart out of terminal E
    Huh. We are flying Southwest to Costa Rica. Anyone know if Southwest international flights leave out of D?

  • #248
    bunghole cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore. cozmo is a rep whore.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southwest Austin
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by hookem2102 View Post
    Did the Chase branch folks put the hard sell on any of y'all that went in to get the Saphire Reserve card to sign up for an account or anything ?

    My GF wants the card and I'm thinking I should go with her so she doesn't get talked into to some BS.
    nope. walked in and said i want to sign up for that card. straight forward.

  • #249
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
    Huh. We are flying Southwest to Costa Rica. Anyone know if Southwest international flights leave out of D?
    umm....hate to break it to you, but southwest doesn't fly to IAH. you'll be flying out of hobby (HOU) instead. there are no priority pass lounges in HOU

    enjoy pappasitos at the food court

  • #250
    Aaaaaahhhhhh, $#@!. You're right, dammit.

  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts

     

     

    Home .. Advertise .. ShaggyShop .. PanchoChat
    Football .. OC .. Basketball .. Baseball .. Other Sports .. RC Didn't Offer .. Gamboool
    Varsity .. Hole in the Wall .. PCL .. Einstein's .. Nasty's .. GM Steakhouse .. NSAA .. Classics
    Bada Bing .. Bernard .. Nerdz .. Can you help me with this? .. Shagslist .. Cloak Room .. Bellmont