+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2016-17 Houston Astros Offseason Thread

asshat TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strosbros View Post
    Brandon Moss, Luis Valbuena, and Mark Trumbo played elsewhere this year but should also be on the table as potential signees at 1B
    Moss is listed as 1B, Valbuena 3B and Trumbo RF-
    Right Fielders
    Gregor Blanco (33)
    Peter Bourjos (30)
    Jose Bautista (36)
    Carlos Beltran (39)
    Jay Bruce (30) $13MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Jaff Decker (27)
    Franklin Gutierrez (34)
    Tyler Holt (28)
    Matt Joyce (32)
    Daniel Nava (34)
    Jimmy Paredes (28)
    Josh Red$#@! (30)
    Seth Smith (34) $7MM club option with a $250K buyout
    Mark Trumbo (31)

asshat mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2's Avatar
    would love to get wilson ramos and/or edwin, assuming his contract isn't 5-6 years like i think it might be.

Quote Originally Posted by mez2 View Post
    would love to get wilson ramos and/or edwin, assuming his contract isn't 5-6 years like i think it might be.
    Pay him 6 years I don't care. Not my money and flags fly forever.

asshat mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2 Probably Shaggy upper class mez2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wulaw Horn View Post
    raise the flag!

asshat TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT Shaggy Silver Club TheGOAT's Avatar

Unfortunately, the Pancho's flag no longer flies over Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by mez2 View Post
    Ramos tore his ACL and probably won't play next year. This is the second time he's blown out that knee so he may be time for him to start thinking about a move to first base.

asshat Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps's Avatar
    I get EE, Wieters, Red$#@!, closer

Not my money though

asshat The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas's Avatar
    Pancho's Mexican killed Jose Lima's career, and may have killed Jose Lima

Avila LH - backup catcher at this point in that carries a career .346 OBP
    Red$#@! LH - not a superstar, but if healthy would be great in LF.
    Jay LH - a guy that can bat 2nd of 9th, with a career .352 OBP.
    Melancon and Chapman - just build the most lethal $#@!ing bullpen in baseball history. Giles, Harris, Gregerson, Chapman, and Melancon. Any lead after 5 IP by our starters would be difficult for the opposing team to overcome.

Springer - rf
    Bregman - 3b
    Altuve - 2b
    Correa - ss
    Red$#@! - lf
    Gurriel - 1b/dh
    Gattis - c
    Some internal option to play 1b or dh
    Jay - cf

Quote Originally Posted by The Earl of Texas View Post
    Pancho's Mexican killed Jose Lima's career, and may have killed Jose Lima
    Pretty sure that was Casa Ole but $#@!ty Mexican food is $#@!ty Mexican food.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston89 View Post

asshat UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow Shaggy Silver Club UDontKnow's Avatar
    I'm gonna pretend to be mez2 and post this because it's the $#@!ing off season.

asshat WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club
    Quote Originally Posted by utgrad97 View Post
    quadruple threat - pitch, act, sing, and dance

Quote Originally Posted by WBT View Post
    quadruple threat - pitch, act, sing, and dance
    Well that was until he moved into 10run Field. Then he magically couldn't pitch anymore.

asshat WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club WBT Shaggy Gold Club
    Pete Rose just called the Giants bullpen collapse the worst he's seen in a long time. Guess he missed Game 4 last year.

asshat The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? The Earl of Texas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Houston89 View Post
    Oh god.

You were very gentle to call me out like that, but considering the era of my life during which that occurred, that was a grievous mistake by yours truly.

$#@! Casa Ole. Long live Pancho's Mexican Buffet.

Pete Rose just called the Giants bullpen collapse the worst he's seen in a long time. Guess he missed Game 4 last year.

Quote Originally Posted by UDontKnow View Post
    I'm gonna pretend to be mez2 and post this because it's the $#@!ing off season.

Dripped and we draped out
    Know what I talkin bout

How appropriate. The collapse was one year ago today

Fantasy move that will never ever happen: Cash in every expendable trade asset for Paul Goldschmidt and sign him to a 9+ year extension. We're set at 1B for the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooder View Post
    too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Field View Post
    Fantasy move that will never ever happen: Cash in every expendable trade asset for Paul Goldschmidt and sign him to a 9+ year extension. We're set at 1B for the next decade.
    I wanted to do keuchel plus for him last year.

bunghole Landon Landon Landon Landon Landon Landon Landon Landon Landon Landon Landon
    I wanted to do keuchel plus for him last year.
    Ken Rosenthal was talking about how the Diamondbacks were having attendance issues and financial issues and that it was going to be hard for them to sign Goldschmidt when his contract was up and create a competitive team with him and Greinke's contracts on the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    Ken Rosenthal was talking about how the Diamondbacks were having attendance issues and financial issues and that it was going to be hard for them to sign Goldschmidt when his contract was up and create a competitive team with him and Greinke's contracts on the books.
    I will take both of them off arizona's hands. I will send them keuchel, Reed and springer in return. Who says no?

asshat PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT's Avatar
    i never listen to bob and dan on 1310 the ticket
    I will take both of them off arizona's hands. I will send them keuchel, Reed and springer in return. Who says no?
    jim crane

asshat RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978's Avatar
    I want so relief pitching, a closer and a REAL Hitting coach because imo we have talent in our lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatAtUT View Post
    jim crane
    Probably. But, that's probably still only a 130 million dollar payroll and that team should be pretty good.

Dumping cheap, young talent to get guaranteed bank-busters is not the excellent idea you're thinking it is.

I'd pay Goldschmidt, or I'd take Grienke on a restructure, but wouldn't give Kuechel for either and certainly wouldn't take both guys' salary requirements.

asshat js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooder View Post
    You son of a bitch

asshat Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps Probably Shaggy upper class Scraps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Earl of Texas View Post
    Dumping cheap, young talent to get guaranteed bank-busters is not the excellent idea you're thinking it is.

I'd pay Goldschmidt, or I'd take Grienke on a restructure, but wouldn't give Kuechel for either and certainly wouldn't take both guys' salary requirements.
    I'd trade correa for Pujols and trout. The point of taking Pujols or greinke in those scenarios is to reduce talent cost by taking the money off their books.

I really think they should trade for Votto.

Anyone with a brain that realizes we would have no OFs on this team.

asshat PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT has a gigantic e-peen. PhatAtUT's Avatar
    i never listen to bob and dan on 1310 the ticket
    I'd trade correa for Pujols and trout. The point of taking Pujols or greinke in those scenarios is to reduce talent cost by taking the money off their books.

how about a lineup of

altuve 2b
    bregman ss
    trout cf
    pujols dh
    springer rf
    gourriel 3b
    gattis c
    white/reed 1b
    marisnick lf

Only if Freeman is truly unavailable, but yes Votto would be my 2nd choice to improve 1B. Even with a contract through age 39, probably would be able to get him and that contract without having to give up Bregman, Correa, or Springer.
    Last edited by utgrad97; 10-13-2016 at 12:10 AM.

asshat RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978 has a gigantic e-peen. RocketHorn1978's Avatar
    You guys know we have Crane right? i'm expecting small cheap moves that don't move the needle with the hope our young guys step up.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatAtUT View Post
    how about a lineup of

altuve 2b
    bregman ss
    trout cf
    pujols dh
    springer rf
    gourriel 3b
    gattis c
    white/reed 1b
    marisnick lf
    I'd do it in a heartbeat. Would Anaheim? It gives them Correa and a metric $#@! ton of payroll flexibility that they don't have right now. As they are currently constituted and with dog$#@! in their minor league system they are a long way away from contending and Pujols, while still a decent but limited hitter, kills them with that financial commitment. I'd do that deal if I'm Anaheim and I'd do that deal if I was Houston.

Correa or Bregman not playing short stop destroys a lot of their value. The Astros need another OF and a DH type and having 2 all star level shortstops is just a waste. Keeping their eye on the payroll and the good shape its in right now could allow them to fade overpaying for Pujols financially if it helps from a talent perspective..

Quote Originally Posted by RocketHorn1978 View Post
    You guys know we have Crane right? i'm expecting small cheap moves that don't move the needle with the hope our young guys step up.
    Probably so. And it's not necessarily the wrong move.

asshat Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop's Avatar
    Trout is basically untradable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Trout is basically untradable.
    i wouldnt say he's untradable, but very unlikely to move him. There was lots of talk throughout the season about "because the angels suck, should the angels trade mike trout?". the consensus is no, but you could argue he'd be worth trading with regards to what he would bring back to your club.

asshat Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. Hoop's Avatar
    Trout is a 9-10 WAR player at 25 with a K that runs till 2020, that's almost 40 WAR on the table. If the Angels trade him, it will be for prospects that will mature when they are in a better position to compete. It doesn't make much sense to trade off a 25 year old for a few players around the same age that may match his production. To make it work you would need an elite farm and you would need to give up pretty much all of your elite talent, and I don't see anyone doing that. Not to mention the ill will that would be generated among fans by trading away one of the best players of all time.
    Last edited by Hoop; 10-13-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Trout is a 9-10 WAR player at 25 with a K that runs till 2020, that's almost 40 WAR on the table. If the Angels trade him, it will be for prospects that will mature when they are in a better position to compete. It doesn't make much sense to trade off a 25 year old for a few players around the same age that may match his production. To make it work you would need an elite farm and you would need to give up pretty much all of your elite talent, and I don't see anyone doing that. Not to mention the up will that would be generated among fans by trading away one of the best players of all time.
    In 2006, the St. Louis Cardinals won the World Series if a 26 year old Pujols. He put up 8.4 WAR that season. Scott Rolen put up 5.8, no one else on the team was over 2.0, the Angels can build a team around Trout and compete. They lose $40M in Weaver and Wilson after this season and another $21M in Nolasco and Street after next season. They haven't been the smartest organization in terms of FA signings lately, but they will be active in getting better and appear to have some money to do it.

Trout is a 9-10 WAR player at 25 with a K that runs till 2020, that's almost 40 WAR on the table. If the Angels trade him, it will be for prospects that will mature when they are in a better position to compete. It doesn't make much sense to trade off a 25 year old for a few players around the same age that may match his production. To make it work you would need an elite farm and you would need to give up pretty much all of your elite talent, and I don't see anyone doing that. Not to mention the ill will that would be generated among fans by trading away one of the best players of all time.
    It's not like Correa is a JAG. You are talking about a guy that is even younger and under contract for even longer and plays an even more premium defensive position. It's not at all unlikely that 5 years from now Correa is putting up as many WAR as Trout when he's 25 and Trout is 30. You also, if you are the Angels, get out from under Pujols awful contract. I'm not saying Correa is the only player headed back, you can also figure that there are going to be some prospects headed that way. A guy like Fisher would be a top 2 or 3 prospect to the angels. Maybe it's Reed as well. Maybe they want 4 or 5 lotto ticket pitchers in A ball. I don't know. If I'm Lunow I'd call and ask what it'd take.

He could, but it's far from guaranteed. Trout is a known quantity. If I'm the Angels I'm asking for Correa, McCullers, and Bergman for starters.

He could, but it's far from guaranteed. Trout is a known quantity. If I'm the Angels I'm asking for Correa, McCullers, and Bergman for starters.
    Are you also trying to offload Pujols in the deal? If so then you can have Correa and McCullers and any 1 minor leaguer that you want. If not sending Pujols then I'm probably ok with that. I mean, we have Villar still, right? ($#@! I hated giving up that guy. I mean I get it, but).

Without Pujols. We're talking the undisputed best player in baseball. A once in a generation talent. Someone who has thrown up 9+ WAR in multiple seasons. It would be an unprecedented trade.

Without Pujols. We're talking the undisputed best player in baseball. A once in a generation talent. Someone who has thrown up 9+ WAR in multiple seasons. It would be an unprecedented trade.
    The whole point, from my perspective, in including Pujols is to lessen the players going back to Anaheim. Dumping that contract would be a major sweetener for the Angels.
    A-rod got traded in his middle of his prime to the Yankees when he still had a lot of time left on his contract so it's not at all unprecedented. And it happened for the same reason I'd be suggesting this trade might make sense- bc the team basically sucked, needed to rebuild and wanted to dump lots of $

Also babe Ruth at 24 when he was established as top of the league. And Miguel Cabrera at 24 when he was already a super star. That's the entirety of the list of guys of the magnitude of trout in mid 20's prime

What are we going to do just in case we miss on Trout, Goldschmidt, Pujols, and Greinke?

Quote Originally Posted by texashorne View Post
    What are we going to do just in case we miss on Trout, Goldschmidt, Pujols, and Greinke?
    Kris bryant

Quote Originally Posted by texashorne View Post
    So business as usual...

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast