+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of Mosul - 2016

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    Anyway, back to Mosul. I cannot believe how far in advance all sides are telegraphing this thing. It's like a VICE documentary unfolding in real time. Every news outlet is going to be watching this thing, which of course means the U.S. and Great Britain will be vilified for war crimes and genocide during it all.
    Take your pick:
    1) People in and around Mosul, both civies and ISIS, have access to the internet, and have smartphones and are streaming this stuff out.
    2) Given the terrain around Mosul, it's kind of hard to miss a major assault about to take place anyways - it's not a surprise to anybody.
    3) ISIS has people inside of the Iraqi government/military. Again, not a surprise. Also, ISIS has people in the outlying villages ready to alert them of $#@! headed their way.
    4) They are trying to minimize civilian casualties by letting them know where $#@! is going down.
    5) They are trying to scare the rank-and-file of ISIS into getting the $#@! out of Dodge.
    6) All of the above.

asshat crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pibald View Post
    Despite the recent peace, we have been at war with the dirty Canadians for 250 years. You'll never catch me with a bottle of their whiskey in my house.
    This seems like a miscalculation to me.

asshat theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods's Avatar
    Making sure the Velociraptors haven't escaped their enclosure
    There are some massively significant archaeological sites in Mosul that ISIS has at least partially destroyed. It sounds like Nimrud was taken back by Iraqi forces early this morning and the Kurdish Peshmerga is in site of Ninevah. Hopefully there is still something to save at each site.

asshat judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag Shaggy Platinum judge roybeanbag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crackamacgowski View Post
    This seems like a miscalculation to me.
    They'll take my Canadian Club when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

The European Union should be prepared for an influx of jihadists if the so-called Islamic State (IS) is driven out of its Iraqi stronghold, Mosul, the EU's security commissioner warns.
    Julian King told Germany's Die Welt newspaper that even a small number of militants would pose "a serious threat that we must prepare ourselves for".
    Iraqi forces launched what is expected to be a lengthy offensive on Monday.
    As many as 5,000 IS fighters are believed to remain in Mosul.
    Mosul: Iraq's beleaguered second city
    UN prepares for aftermath 'chaos'
    Battle must navigate ethnic rivalries
    Is so-called Islamic State finished?
    Voices from Mosul as the battle nears
    Aid agencies are bracing themselves for what they say could be the largest man-made humanitarian crisis of recent times.
    What is the latest on the offensive?
    A coalition of some 34,000 Iraqi security personnel, Kurdish fighters, Sunni Arab tribesmen, and Shia paramilitary forces - backed by the US and other nations - took a string of villages and districts in the south and east of Mosul on day one of the offensive.

Government troops, moving in from the south, are currently some 40km (24 miles) from the city, while Kurdish fighters are some 30km from the east.
    The BBC's Ahmed Maher, reporting from the frontline, says the strategy is to encircle the city before moving in on the centre itself.
    US Pentagon spokesman Peter Cook said late on Monday that the campaign was "ahead of schedule" but warned it was early days and it was not yet known whether IS fighters would "stand and fight".
    France's Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Tuesday "it could be a long battle" lasting several weeks, if not months.

asshat RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club
    I found it interesting that one of the approved escape routes leads into Kurdish territory and then stops. I assume that is the route for ISIS members who want to try to escape to Europe through Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by theropods View Post
    There are some massively significant archaeological sites in Mosul that ISIS has at least partially destroyed. It sounds like Nimrud was taken back by Iraqi forces early this morning and the Kurdish Peshmerga is in site of Ninevah. Hopefully there is still something to save at each site.
    This.

All it takes is a couple years of turds in control and thousands of years of history can literally be wiped from existence. Cradle of human civilization? Nah. Blasphemy. Let's blow up our own history to tweek the West.

Quote Originally Posted by judge roybeanbag View Post
    They'll take my Canadian Club when they pry it from my cold dead hands.
    Qfmft

asshat RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club RayDog Shaggy Bronze Club
    Iraqi news is reporting a failed coup attempt against Baghdadi.

http://www.iraqinews.com/iraq-war/ba...-police-mosul/

asshat crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski has a gigantic e-peen. crackamacgowski's Avatar
    So if factions within ISIS are trying to stage coups, does that mean they don't have a caliphate?

Edit: Although, the way I understand it the armies of "Rome" have to be destroyed in...Damascus, is it(?) for the prophecy to be true and for a caliphate to be in place.
    Last edited by crackamacgowski; 10-18-2016 at 10:17 AM.

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar
    Mosul!

#LetsRide SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten Probably Shaggy upper class SquishMitten's Avatar
    Well that seems fortuitous. Their numbers are dwindling, recruitment is getting so hard they're resorting to child soldiers, and now they're executing some of their own highest ranking officers and soldiers who supported the coup attempt.

Things are about to get real interesting on the other front in Syria. FSA and Turkish forces have been gaining ground and Erdogan and some FSA members have said they intend to attack the YPG in Manbig.

Today Kurdish forces have taken a few cities coming from the East toward al Bab. The Kurds want to create a bridge between Afrin and Kobane that runs through Manbij and al-Bab. Erdogan is intent on stopping them.

Turkey and the Syrian Kurds will be fighting each other any day now, which is likely to end the progress they are making against ISIS in the area and make coordination in Iraq more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by crackamacgowski View Post
    So if factions within ISIS are trying to stage coups, does that mean they don't have a caliphate?
    of the first 4 caliphs, 3 of them were murdered (umar, uthman, and ali), 2 by people who had been followers (umar was assassinated by persians following the conquest of persia, uthman by rebels against his nepotism, and ali by the kharijites, who were basically the historical equivalent of ISIS or wahhabis, and had supported ali during the first islamic civil war. they were pissed because he was seeking peace with muawiya, who ended up being the 5th caliph).

Edit: Although, the way I understand it the armies of "Rome" have to be destroyed in...Damascus, is it(?) for the prophecy to be true and for a caliphate to be in place.
    i'm not educated in this so much, but "rome" might just be the byzantine empire. the battle is to take place at dabiq. which was captured by turks a couple days ago.
    Last edited by elfenix; 10-18-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Houstonian - Historian The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas Shaggy Silver Club The Earl of Texas's Avatar
    Daaaaaamn this thread just called the "Are you ready for WW3?" thread and raised it an Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by The Earl of Texas View Post
    raised it an Apocalypse.
    That is their stated goal.

asshat erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair's Avatar
    goddam this is a rabbit hole. been watching reading for almost 48 hours straight. in that time, 12 different factions have switched sides at least three times.

asshat MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP's Avatar
    According to the Turkish Defense Minister, the Turks reached an agreement with the anti-Mosul forces to start doing bombing raids on Mosul. This could be dangerous, I really really hope they don't bomb the wrong targets, this can go sideways quick.

Also, you're correct Nimrud and Nineveh were taken back last night. Today's main gain was the Iraqis recaptured the decently sized areas of Al Hamdania and Shoraa.

ISIS went on another round of mass executions in the morning and have an estimated 2000-2500 people in prison in Mosul. They did a show of force last night where they went out into the streets after dark to let people know they were still there. Although they covered their faces like cowards. They also claim to have used 16 suicide vehicle attacks today. They also set fire to a lot of factories and oil pipelines to try to darken the skies to defend against airstrikes, but that didn't really work.
    Last edited by MillerEP; 10-18-2016 at 12:45 PM.

ISIS sucks at comedy. They just aren't funny.

asshat Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes Blank probably preboards planes
    How's the wagging of the dog going?

asshat MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP Shaggy Gold Club MillerEP's Avatar
    I just realized that I said anti-Mosul forces, I meant anti-ISIS coalition forces.

asshat Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Stros's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerEP View Post
    I just realized that I said anti-Mosul forces, I meant anti-ISIS coalition forces.
    Do you have a link you're watching?

Oops, Turkey is already attacking YPG, so much for that.

asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erikestradaschesthair View Post
    goddam this is a rabbit hole. been watching reading for almost 48 hours straight. in that time, 12 different factions have switched sides at least three times.
    $#@!ing splitters.

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erikestradaschesthair View Post
    It's really pretty simple. You just arm the moderate rebels and then democracy will flourish.

asshat theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods Shaggy Gold Club theropods's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elfenix View Post
    of the first 4 caliphs, 3 of them were murdered (umar, uthman, and ali), 2 by people who had been followers (umar was assassinated by persians following the conquest of persia, uthman by rebels against his nepotism, and ali by the kharijites, who were basically the historical equivalent of ISIS or wahhabis, and had supported ali during the first islamic civil war. they were pissed because he was seeking peace with muawiya, who ended up being the 5th caliph).

i'm not educated in this so much, but "rome" might just be the byzantine empire. the battle is to take place at dabiq. which was captured by turks a couple days ago.
    This is pretty ironic actually. The prophecy ISIS is invoking is supposedly something Mohammed said and was written down in a hadith. It says that they will defeat the armies of "Rome" in Dabiq in a cataclysmic battle, but not until 1/3 of the ISIS forces are destroyed in Dabiq and another 1/3 flee and are never forgiven by Allah. Then the other 1/3 will win. Then Jesus will come back, convert to Islam and repudiate Christianity and lead their forces against a muslim version of the anti-Christ.

They have proclaimed the West and specifically America to be the armies of Rome. However, the Turkish Ottoman Empire sacked Constantinople and ended the Byzantine Empire, which was the Eastern Roman Empire and really the only semblance of the Roman Empire that remained by the time Constantinople fell. Various entities have claimed the mantle of perpetuating the Roman Empire, chiefly Russia and the Ottomans themselves. Since the Turks still have Constantinople, they're technically holding the lands of the old Eastern Roman Empire.

The armies of "Rome" could easily be inferred to be the Turkish army and they used their own proxy forces to kick the $#@! out of ISIS in Dabiq, which fell in less than 24 hours. That's a dagger through the heart of al-Bagdadhi's caliphate claims.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad $#@! View Post
    The Frontline on this last week, "Confronting Isis" was a good overview on the current state of this mess. Well worth a watch: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/
    I watched this episode last night. It's simultaneously enthralling and horrifying. Everyone, both in the west and the east needs this offensive in Mosul to be effective. No lands = no caliphate = no caliph. ISIS is clearly going to reorganize as an itinerant terror group, but losing their mandate to a caliphate will monumentally change the game, reducing their financial and manpower reserves enormously. Many muslims are willing to martyr themselves for the Caliph, but not as many are going to want to do it for some $#@! running around in a black robe and hiding from airstrikes in caves and tunnels.

I watched this episode last night. It's simultaneously enthralling and horrifying. Everyone, both in the west and the east needs this offensive in Mosul to be effective. No lands = no caliphate = no caliph. ISIS is clearly going to reorganize as an itinerant terror group, but losing their mandate to a caliphate will monumentally change the game, reducing their financial and manpower reserves enormously. Many muslims are willing to martyr themselves for the Caliph, but not as many are going to want to do it for some $#@! running around in a black robe and hiding from airstrikes in caves and tunnels.
    This right here. It seems to be the one thing the Kurds, the Sunni Iraqis and Shia Iraqis can agree on.

And speak of depressing, I was reading a list of the sites that ISIS has destroyed (or we fear they have destroyed). So many ancient relics gone. Assyrian sites that have been around for 10,000 years or more. Bulldozed. It's as if we let rednecks roll coal in Bigfoot though the Smithsonian. But worse by orders of magnitude.

Go rmy !! beat ……ISIS !!

asshat erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair Shaggy Gold Club erikestradaschesthair's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomHeartBevo View Post
    $#@!ing splitters.

asshat Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament's Avatar
    Caught up with this thread and I have a question:
    Can we spike the football and go home already?

Quote Originally Posted by info services View Post
    Go rmy !! beat ……ISIS !!
    Mosul!!

Think that ISIS really destroyed or disabled Abrams tanks? Not up on my war stuff but I thought that was a big deal

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A

Quote Originally Posted by bigshark88 View Post
    Think that ISIS really destroyed or disabled Abrams tanks? Not up on my war stuff but I thought that was a big deal

I saw one video where the claimed to destroy an Abrams but it did not look like a tank in the video and they cut it before the smoke cleared. They were Using a TOW.

asshat Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament's Avatar
    They can definitely get mobility kills; tracks, engines, etc. But blowing one up? Don't think so.

Pretty sure the Saudis have lost at least a couple in Yemen and the Iraqis had lost some already before this attack. They aren't invincible.

E: I don't know how the Iraqi ones are set up, but IIRC the Saudis got some pretty top of the line $#@!, at least as far as export models go. Couldn't really tell you how they compare to "real" US versions though.
    Last edited by MadBurgerMaker; 10-18-2016 at 08:40 PM.

Mosul battle cry ?

asshat Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face Shaggy Gold Club Basil Your Face's Avatar
    This is pretty ironic actually. The prophecy ISIS is invoking is supposedly something Mohammed said and was written down in a hadith. It says that they will defeat the armies of "Rome" in Dabiq in a cataclysmic battle, but not until 1/3 of the ISIS forces are destroyed in Dabiq and another 1/3 flee and are never forgiven by Allah. Then the other 1/3 will win. Then Jesus will come back, convert to Islam and repudiate Christianity and lead their forces against a muslim version of the anti-Christ.

They have proclaimed the West and specifically America to be the armies of Rome. However, the Turkish Ottoman Empire sacked Constantinople and ended the Byzantine Empire, which was the Eastern Roman Empire and really the only semblance of the Roman Empire that remained by the time Constantinople fell. Various entities have claimed the mantle of perpetuating the Roman Empire, chiefly Russia and the Ottomans themselves. Since the Turks still have Constantinople, they're technically holding the lands of the old Eastern Roman Empire.

The armies of "Rome" could easily be inferred to be the Turkish army and they used their own proxy forces to kick the $#@! out of ISIS in Dabiq, which fell in less than 24 hours. That's a dagger through the heart of al-Bagdadhi's caliphate claims.
    I am slightly offended thee goatfuckers fail to appreciate that the armies of "Rome" are, in a historical context, a moving target. "Rome" today would be the US of A and not some disorganized dipshits planting flowers in Constantinople. We should send a legion over there to kill them all.

I read an article 10 years ago from Iraq when a US crewed Abrams was disabled by a suspected new-era RPG round. Folks in the Army and DOD about lost their $#@!

asshat RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter's Avatar
    Whenever a reporter says "tank", I visualize an M-113. Seldom am I too far wrong.

Sucks for the dudes in the 113 though.

Quote Originally Posted by RDCanecutter View Post
    Whenever a reporter says "tank", I visualize an M-113. Seldom am I too far wrong.

Sucks for the dudes in the 113 though.
    Qfmft

Quote Originally Posted by bigshark88 View Post
    I read an article 10 years ago from Iraq when a US crewed Abrams was disabled by a suspected new-era RPG round. Folks in the Army and DOD about lost their $#@!
    Yes and no. Golden BB or whatever:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-29

The RPG-29's PG-29V tandem-charge warhead is one of the few anti-tank weapons that can reportedly penetrate the frontal hulls of Western composite-armored main battle tanks.
    Apparently they could be used to destroy both the Abrams and the stuff the Brits were fielding. But they aren't the long-term threat (IEDs were).

Still, the numbers add up in general. In the first year or two, 75+ Abrams were damaged badly enough that they were shipped back to the states.

By the end of 2006, they had shipped 500+ Abrams back to the states to be examined and/or repaired.

While some were definitely taken out by RPG-29s based on media reports, most were damaged/destroyed by IEDs, or insurgents using RPGs to hit the treads, and then going after vulnerable areas (engine area) when they were disabled.

Stack enough heavy artillery shells on top of each other as an IED, and you can $#@! up just about anything, including an Abrams.

They use the word "tank" loosely. To them a "tank" is anything up-armored. Here is an example of an "ISIS tank":

That's why they specifically singled out Abrams. I doubt they destroyed it but they could've gotten a mobility kill on it by blowing up its tracks. The video you saw of them using a TOW was in Syria.

So far the news today is the Iraqis moving up from the South have captured Bajwan village, and they expect the assault on the city to start by this weekend. There are unconfirmed reports that ISIS is starting to flee Mosul, and blowing up some buildings as they're leaving to include the Nineveh governate building, which they were likely using as a HQ.

Pretty sure that's a Mexican up there.

asshat spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey probably preboards planes spinmonkey's Avatar
    They use the word "tank" loosely. To them a "tank" is anything up-armored. Here is an example of an "ISIS tank":

That's why they specifically singled out Abrams. I doubt they destroyed it but they could've gotten a mobility kill on it by blowing up its tracks. The video you saw of them using a TOW was in Syria.

So far the news today is the Iraqis moving up from the South have captured Bajwan village, and they expect the assault on the city to start by this weekend. There are unconfirmed reports that ISIS is starting to flee Mosul, and blowing up some buildings as they're leaving to include the Nineveh governate building, which they were likely using as a HQ.
    Nineveh? That scares the $#@! out of me. Hopefully they don't blow up the sacred ancient ruins there on the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmonkey View Post
    Nineveh? That scares the $#@! out of me. Hopefully they don't blow up the sacred ancient ruins there on the way out.
    It's the Nineveh governate building, meaning the province (kinda like a State). Rumors are they blew up the governor's building today basically inside of Mosul. The ruins are further to the NW, and were supposedly retaken by the Peshmerga 2 days ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineveh_Governorate

asshat Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles Shaggy Gold Club Homercles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spinmonkey View Post
    It's going to be bad. ISIS destroyed major parts of both Ninevah and Nimrud quite a while ago and posted videos of it. They cut up statues and freizes with electric stone saws and then went in with bulldozers. We don't know how thoroughly the sites are destroyed, but I bet it's going to be pretty bad. Hopefully they can get some archaeologists in there soon to assess the damage and reconstruct what can be salvaged.

I've also seen reports that ISIS was trafficking antiquities in the last year, so even some of the stuff that wasn't destroyed was likely sold off to private collectors and probably won't be seen by the public again.

It sucks that a bunch of savages were even given the change to do this and steal such a critical world heritage site.

Erdogan is also getting really big for his britches. He's demanding participation in the Mosul attacks and the Turkish army has been driving down from Turkey into Syria to prevent the Kurds from joining their western and eastern occupied portions of Syria. Turkey has also demanded territory that the Kurds have already liberated and Erdogan is also making noise that Turkey has claims to keep some of these territories as a "buffer zone". He's sounding more and more like Hitler all the time.

That PBS Frontline piece showed the Turkish army sitting on a hill and watching while the Kurds were nearly exterminated in Kobane. Erdogan refused to let us use the air base in Incirlik and refused to let us supply the Kurds to resist ISIS. We finally air dropped supplies in, or they'd have been overrun.

He couldn't be bothered to stop smuggling people/oil/weapons in and out of Syria across the Turkish border, but sure got motivated quickly when it looked like there was going to be a connected Kurdistan across the north of Syria and Iraq.

Turkey is a NATO member and supposedly our ally, but has $#@!ed us and the EU over at about every chance he's had. Someone needs to sit him down and remind him who runs NATO and the EU countries need to be much stronger with him as well. He's a bully and he'll keep pushing as long as he gets away with it.

The Kurds have been our only consistent and reliable ally against ISIS. I really hope we tell Turkey and Erdogan to go $#@! themselves.The Kurds have been reliable allies are good fighters and are unlikely to try to establish an Islamic theocracy and Sharia Law. If we want an actual democracy in the Middle East, they seem like the safest bet. Sorry if this is a little to CR for Bada Bing, but Turkey's actions have greatly contributed to this problem and the migrant crisis in the EU.
    Last edited by theropods; 10-19-2016 at 12:17 PM.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast