+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ass Smoker Build

asshat JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB's Avatar
    Paco is my hero

asshat paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco's Avatar
    Ok $#@! this I'm starting a go fund me account for this bastard. Besides all the metal, welding rods, grinding and cutting wheels, etc, the mother$#@! sac n pac down the road now wants over $7 for a sixer of lone star tall boys. This is getting out of hand.

Yet we persevere. Got the damper in between the fire box and cook chamber. I just realized I didn't take a picture, so just imagine a damper between a fire box and a cook chamber. Just bigger.

Puffy G welding the first rack:

Bottom racks in:

We didn't buy enough angle to build the top racks because math is hard. Plate for the new door will be in tomorrow, and with another 82 design changes we should have it done by the time Mopac is open.

Then we drank a beer and made a list of what we have to get done before we cook. I hope nobody's hungry.

asshat Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Native Horn's Avatar
    Paco, you have a real talent for building $#@! (I think) and writing $#@! (for sure). Love following this thread.

asshat paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco Shaggy Silver Club paco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Native Horn View Post
    Paco, you have a real talent for building $#@! (I think) and writing $#@! (for sure). Love following this thread.
    Thanks, but it's really a team effort. Except the writing part, that's all me. Puffy G's extra chromosomes definitely lend themselves to certain savant qualities, but writing is not one of those.

Not to mention that I haven't included all the $#@! ups, nor the inevitable finger pointing, name calling and shaming that follows. But you get the idea. Honestly we work really well together so it's a hell of a good time.

Then of course Friday night rolls around around and half the neighborhood shows up to tell us all the $#@! we're doing wrong. That's a whole other ballgame.

asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    You may want something like this for your handles
    http://www.kck.com/bbq_pit_spring_handle_barbecue_grill_smoker_wood_s tove.html

You might also want to put a handle on your bottom shelves to make pulling them out a bit easier. A small piece of angle iron will suffice.
    Shelves that big will eventually begin to warp. A couple of cross-members will help control that.
    Last edited by Luke Duke; 11-15-2016 at 11:53 AM.

Double post
    Last edited by paco; 11-15-2016 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Enough words the first time

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Duke View Post

You might also want to put a handle on your bottom shelves to make pulling them out a bit easier. A small piece of angle iron will suffice.
    Shelves that big will eventually begin to warp. A couple of cross-members will help control that.
    I suspect Paco's already got a plan, but I will second the spring handle thingies. Plumb necessary, in my opinion.

Goddamnit I meant to reply to this. Anyway, yes those handles are on the short list.

As for the warpage, we were wondering if we should have built the shelves out of bigger angle, but 1" seemed to be the norm. I think reinforcing the corners and adding a cross brace should help. Appreciate your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAsset View Post
    I suspect Paco's already got a plan, but I will second the spring handle thingies. Plumb necessary, in my opinion.
    Of course we have a plan.

Or

No $#@! that

Hey!

No that's dumb

Yeah yeah way over done. Scratch that. The real plan:

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Also might want to put some "tabs" on top of the rails that the shelf slides in on. This way, when you pull the shelf out, it can "hang" on the rails without having to hold the shelf up.

I also ditto Luke's suggestion on the cross member.

You may have posted this but how big are those shelves?

Keep up the good work. I should have warned you that beer makes up a significant line item in the budget. We opted for the 30 pack "cube" of Natty Light as our work beer. $14.99 at the local QT when we were building ours.

asshat GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartAsset View Post
    I made my own for my tiny smoker build.

asshat flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club
    I built a nice new rack for my pit and as soon as I welded in the crossmember it warped to $#@!. Just saying.

Wait. Paco es flaco? (that was the first phrase I learned in Spanish I back in 94'.

asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Also might want to put some "tabs" on top of the rails that the shelf slides in on. This way, when you pull the shelf out, it can "hang" on the rails without having to hold the shelf up.
    This x1000

asshat ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club ut_ob1 Shaggy Bronze Club
    Since we're all chiming in, i'd suggest some stops on the angle so you can't drunkenly pull the shelves all the way out and dump all the meat on the ground.

asshat chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga Shaggy Gold Club chuychanga's Avatar
    After you fix those $#@!ed racks I have some ideas for the HDMI ports.

Jk... you got a nice rack.

asshat hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    You are getting to the point where this thing needs a name. Smokezilla has already been taken and if you called it Smokezilla II, you would probably have to pay some copyright fee, ala 12th man, to Hullabelew.

That said, I've been calling on my creative side. I got nothing. Fumar, Mothra, Bevo, Vesuvius, Etna, Kilimanjaro, St. Elmos, yellow submarine, U boat, das boat, hock city, pork butt city...

I'm sure someone can come up with something.

Shaggy Smoker. /naming

asshat TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn's Avatar
    "There's no croixing in bbq"

asshat Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill's Avatar
    This x1000
    xInfinity.

asshat Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill Shaggy Gold Club Hank_Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hlh View Post
    You are getting to the point where this thing needs a name. Smokezilla has already been taken and if you called it Smokezilla II, you would probably have to pay some copyright fee, ala 12th man, to Hullabelew.

That said, I've been calling on my creative side. I got nothing. Fumar, Mothra, Bevo, Vesuvius, Etna, Kilimanjaro, St. Elmos, yellow submarine, U boat, das boat, hock city, pork butt city...

I'm sure someone can come up with something.
    Que-boat amirite

asshat DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO Probably Shaggy upper class DougO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    Of course we have a plan.

Or

No $#@! that

Hey!

No that's dumb

Yeah yeah way over done. Scratch that. The real plan:

Something like this, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post

I also ditto Luke's suggestion on the cross member.

You may have posted this but how big are those shelves?

Keep up the good work. I should have warned you that beer makes up a significant line item in the budget. We opted for the 30 pack "cube" of Natty Light as our work beer. $14.99 at the local QT when we were building ours.
    Yeah we figured out pretty quick it would need some tabs. 60 lbs of brisket flopping out on to the floor...I guess I would laugh at some point. Tom Hanks money pit laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudbelty View Post
    Wait. Paco es flaco? (that was the first phrase I learned in Spanish I back in 94'.
    Paco es gordo. In all the right places.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealMcQuinn View Post
    "There's no croixing in bbq"
    Taparep

Here's the damper I mentioned earlier

And open:

Instead of a plain old lever we had this big ass valve handle to work the damper

We have another we're going to use on the air intake of the fire box door.

Finished the straps on the main doors and built the rack inside the fire box. Drain and thermometers will probably go in this weekend. And hopefully the new door.

As for a name...my dad suggested Little Boy because it looks like the bomb. But keep the suggestions coming, much appreciated.

Jerkass next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus has a gigantic e-peen. next2naus's Avatar
    I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses
    love the valve handle.

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    Should have worked in a drawbridge and some catapults, imo.

asshat JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB Shaggy Bronze Club JSB's Avatar
    that valve handle is bad ass man, great idea

asshat irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan Shaggy Gold Club irishtexan's Avatar
    That valve is perfect.

Uh ,how about "Big Ass Smoker"?

How about Paco Lips

bunghole Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Sheep Have Wool might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Submarine smoker. The valve handle looks nautical (and super cool).

Quote Originally Posted by tonytexan View Post
    Uh ,how about "Big Ass Smoker"?

Hmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus Bocanegra View Post
    How about Paco Lips
    That's excellent but I'd have to explain it too much.

dipshit big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard. big 'ole buck slams and goes hard.
    ThUjone would be so proud. I have tears in my eyes.

but it's my favorite Paco Lips

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kevwun View Post
    i think you mean some trebuchets.

Quote Originally Posted by kevwun View Post
    There's still time.

Are you using a stick welder on all of it?
    When I welded the tabs on mine I welded a nut on the back corner of the shelf and put a bolt in it. That way the bolt acted as the stop but I could remove the bolt to get the shelf out for cleaning.

Kick ass project you got going on here! Keep the pics coming!

asshat SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin's Avatar
    I've never put this much effort into anything in my life.

asshat Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SBBruin View Post
    I've never put this much effort into anything in my life.
    Well duh, that's why you ended up at UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    i think you mean some trebuchets.
    same same.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    That valve handle is awesome. Ours is a driver one of the guys broke while playing golf but people are always bumping it and screwing up the temp. No one is going to bump into that and screw up the temp. Ever better if that $#@!er gets really hot...that will keep people from wanting to $#@! with the temp.

Once you get it cooking, you will need a way to mark the 'settings' for what temp you want. I have full faith and hope that you will come up something suitably redneck.

Keep up the great work!

asshat hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? hlh might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    As for a name...my dad suggested Little Boy because it looks like the bomb. But keep the suggestions coming, much appreciated.

Put some stabilizing fins on it and call it "La Bomba".

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    Submarine smoker. The valve handle looks nautical (and super cool).
    HMS Meuller

New door laid out on 3/8" plate

New door. It sounds better.

We also used 1-1/2" x 1/4" flat bar for the flange. Much better than the flimsy 1x 1/8 on the other door.

The only problem is SOMEBODY managed to $#@! up the damper wheel and cut it too small. What a $#@!ing idiot. I won't name any names but it rhymes with taco. Goddamnit. It's functional, but we're going to add some metal around the wheel to make it look better.

Quote Originally Posted by RMaC5 View Post
    Are you using a stick welder on all of it?
    When I welded the tabs on mine I welded a nut on the back corner of the shelf and put a bolt in it. That way the bolt acted as the stop but I could remove the bolt to get the shelf out for cleaning.

Kick ass project you got going on here! Keep the pics coming!
    Both mig and stick. The fire box and chimney were stick welded, just about everything else is mig.

I don't want to put any kind of stop on the shelves because I want to be able to slide them in and out while cooking. $#@!ing thing is so big I can't reach all the way to the back without adding myself to the menu.

asshat BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison Shaggy Bronze Club BillyMadison's Avatar
    this thread is what shaggy/ the state of texas/ the $#@!ing constitution of our country are all about

asshat flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club flaco Shaggy Silver Club
    Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    New door laid out on 3/8" plate

New door. It sounds better.

We also used 1-1/2" x 1/4" flat bar for the flange. Much better than the flimsy 1x 1/8 on the other door.

The only problem is SOMEBODY managed to $#@! up the damper wheel and cut it too small. What a $#@!ing idiot. I won't name any names but it rhymes with taco. Goddamnit. It's functional, but we're going to add some metal around the wheel to make it look better.
    Wasn't me.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast