+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Big Ass Smoker Build

Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    That's excellent but I'd have to explain it too much.
    So just go with Smokepocalypse.

asshat Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron probably preboards planes Captain Ron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flaco View Post
    Wasn't me.
    Flaco doesn't rhyme with Taco.

BTW - Paco; God's work here.

asshat paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Well the good news is we figured out that heating this thing won't take nearly as much fire as we thought.

This size fire

Does this pretty quick

The bad news is the fire box door warped. Thanks to our neighborhood eagle scout for building a fire that would make a $#@!ing boiler smith nervous. Actually it should still close just fine with a latch but we still had to give him a ration of $#@!.

Shelves have seasoned up nicely, and with one more (SMALLER) test burn we should be ready to cook this weekend.

asshat Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme's Avatar
    define "pretty quick".

Big Ass Smoker Build

Time to swap the door with 1/2" A500

asshat Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang Probably Shaggy upper class Gil Bang's Avatar
    you $#@!s are $#@!s.

Thanks to our neighborhood eagle scout for building a fire that would make a $#@!ing boiler smith nervous. Actually it should still close just fine with a latch but we still had to give him a ration of $#@!.
    He did you a favor. What an embarassing thing to have happen if that door were to warp when other people were around to see it.

thanks obama jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt Definitely Shaggy upper class jt's Avatar
    given that i have zero understanding of how all this works, how does one build a door that doesn't warp because fire? i mean, a firebox is supposed to hold fire, yes? even big hot (hot!) fires, right?

The bad news is the fire box door warped. Thanks to our neighborhood eagle scout for building a fire that would make a $#@!ing boiler smith nervous. Actually it should still close just fine with a latch but we still had to give him a ration of $#@!.

asshat paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? paco might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baboontyme View Post
    define "pretty quick".
    Once the kinda wet wood was mostly lit it was up to 250 in about 15 minutes. Then another 15-20 and up to 450+. This thing draws REALLY well and the fire just goes ape$#@! fast. Maybe because the chimney is so tall?

Quote Originally Posted by DeftwillP View Post
    Time to swap the door with 1/2" A500
    Goddamnit.

Quote Originally Posted by capnamerca View Post
    He did you a favor. What an embarassing thing to have happen if that door were to warp when other people were around to see it.
    Full disclosure, I would have built the same fire. Or bigger, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by jt View Post
    given that i have zero understanding of how all this works, how does one build a door that doesn't warp because fire? i mean, a firebox is supposed to hold fire, yes? even big hot (hot!) fires, right?
    With my very limited knowledge of the physiscientry, I can only guess. But maybe it's because the plate of the door wants to expand more than the welded flange around it (which doesn't get as hot as fast) and can't expand out so it warps. Or Westbrook metals sells trashy Chinese plate. Or I touch myself at night.

asshat Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme's Avatar
    Once the kinda wet wood was mostly lit it was up to 250 in about 15 minutes. Then another 15-20 and up to 450+. This thing draws REALLY well and the fire just goes ape$#@! fast. Maybe because the chimney is so tall?
    That's impressive. Mine takes like an hour. I guess I need to build a bigger fire.

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    With my very limited knowledge of the physiscientry, I can only guess. But maybe it's because the plate of the door wants to expand more than the welded flange around it (which doesn't get as hot as fast) and can't expand out so it warps. Or Westbrook metals sells trashy Chinese plate. Or I touch myself at night.

bunghole Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses
    If you rebuild the door you might try going with heavier angle for the surrounding frame. Whenever we have burnouts that leave thin areas, we try to beef those up to avoid warping. We aren't building fires next to them but after a day of running a robotic welder next to the plates they get plenty hot. Sometimes we will have the weldment normalized after welding to eliminate the stresses that occur during the burnout process. I doubt that you would want to reduce the size of the burnouts with it drawing as well as it does.
    This build is pretty cool. Good job to all concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
    If you rebuild the door you might try going with heavier angle for the surrounding frame. Whenever we have burnouts that leave thin areas, we try to beef those up to avoid warping. We aren't building fires next to them but after a day of running a robotic welder next to the plates they get plenty hot. Sometimes we will have the weldment normalized after welding to eliminate the stresses that occur during the burnout process. I doubt that you would want to reduce the size of the burnouts with it drawing as well as it does.
    the industrial machine designer has spoken

Quote Originally Posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
    Can you come over

bunghole Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses Shoxthemonkey grows his own roses
    I would love to but it doesn't look like you need me. How much did the door warp? Any chance that you can straighten it? It's amazing what you can do with a 10ton bottle jack. Once you get it back in place, it should stay put. No guarantee of course but it's worth a try to avoid fabbing another one,

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    So "need" is a prerequisite to taking a look at this big bastard and having a beer? boooooooooo.

Faux Aggy hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew Shaggy Gold Club hullabelew's Avatar
    Do what we do. Tell people that the warped door is a design feature to help with air circulation.

Quote Originally Posted by hullabelew View Post
    Do what we do. Tell people that the warped door is a design feature to help with air circulation.
    Is that a bug? $#@! no, it's a feature!
    Last edited by capnamerca; 11-23-2016 at 03:53 PM.

asshat EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$ Shaggy Bronze Club EZ$'s Avatar
    Thing looks like $#@!. I'll haul it to the dump (no charge) and you can start on another one. PM me where I need to pick it up.

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Jesus built my car. Its a love affair. Mainly Jesus and my hot rod.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSB View Post
    $#@!ing awesome. I did not realize this was going to be a trailer mounted rig until the end. Good work my man

What confused you, the 1st pic that had a trailer?

asshat NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX Shaggy Gold Club NCAAFBALLROX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pescado_rojo View Post
    When I die, I hope my wife doesn't sell my shotguns and fly rods for what I told her I paid for them.

Shag motto worthy right there.

Can you come over

asshat Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock Shaggy Gold Club Buzzrock's Avatar
    Bad ass. Does the valve handle make it hard to tell how far open the damper is?

So $#@! turkey and $#@! football it's time to cook.

Two 11 ish pounders. Started a small fire and she was ready to go in an hour.

fucktard phuqu is probably perfectly normal.  Probably. Maybe. Who cares? phuqu's Avatar

I'll bring my Sawzall down

You going to use cedar and pinecones again?

Quote Originally Posted by phuqu View Post
    Probably pinion.

I notice no counterweights - how difficult are the doors?

Also, I don't recall pics of the door stops; whatcha got there?

Did the door flanges work out well - any excessive leakage?

asshat TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn Probably Shaggy upper class TheRealMcQuinn's Avatar
    Very cool, post a pic of the whole rig while it's smoking

Quote Originally Posted by phuqu View Post
    You know me better than that. Pressure treated deck boards only.

Quote Originally Posted by NCAAFBALLROX View Post
    I notice no counterweights - how difficult are the doors?

Also, I don't recall pics of the door stops; whatcha got there?

Did the door flanges work out well - any excessive leakage?
    Counterweights going in when the roof is framed. The doors aren't terrible now, but will get heavy over a long day of cooking. Door stops are in and make a huge difference.

So the first cook went exactly as planned. NOT. Two 10+ pounders went on at 7:30. And then at 8 we were wondering how much was left in the keg, so we figured there was only one way to find out.

Just seemed like the thing to do as Free Born Americans. While cooking we got a little work done:

Puffy G welding the damper on the chimney. It's a damn good thing we put this on. We also put in another position stop for the fire box damper to direct the heat a little lower in the cook chamber. Then I added a tuning plate right next to the damper and it really helps to even out temps across the pit.

And we drank more keg beer. And people started showing up. And of course the pit doors had to be opened forty eleven times for gawking purposes.

About noon I realized the briskets looked raw. Uh oh. So a bit of neighborhood scrambling produced three probe thermometers. Interesting results. The door thermometers were reading 250, while probes in the center were about 200. $#@!.

Drink some beer and discuss this. Hmmm. So, several hours and many beers later I had the beast running were I wanted. Bigger fire and damp down about a third of the chimney did the trick. Now we're finally cooking.

Scrap Iron and Gunther made an appearance

Our neighborhood will never be confused with Rob Roy, but I can't imagine being anywhere else.

$#@!ing ouch goddamnit. Puffy G decided to push the button and shoot out nine feet of mig wire while I'm helping him fit up a weld. Mig wire gets hot when it arcs. This is why you wear gloves.

Alas, 18 hours later we have wonderful slooooooooooow smoked briskets. Can't find pics because drunk.

Then we spent the next couple days chipping paint, cleaning rust, etc. Put new door handles on. They work fine, but a little out of square with the world. We might modify down the road, but they're good for now. A good cleaning, a couple hours of painting, and...

Ladies, gentlemen, and shag brethren I present to you our fully functional space station:

Still a ton of work to do, but we like her.

asshat Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn Shaggy Bronze Club Native Horn's Avatar
    And THAT'S how you do it! Nice work gentlemen.

asshat Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos Shaggy Gold Club Texas St. Armadillos's Avatar
    <BillyDWilliamsclappinggif>

asshat GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado Shaggy Bronze Club GringoSalado's Avatar

asshat Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Solamente73's Avatar

asshat Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt Definitely Shaggy upper class Hollywood Colt's Avatar

Jerkass next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus Shaggy Silver Club next2naus's Avatar
    I'm from the, uh, Confidential Committee on Moral Abuses
    "Bad Mother" or "The Boss" would be great names for this beast

asshat Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club Felix Shaggy Bronze Club
    I submit Smokamotive. I knew I should have rolled by yesterday. Damned kid functions.

asshat PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang Shaggy Platinum PvilleStang's Avatar
    I'd recommend naming it BEVO and tailgating as close to the admin building as possible.

asshat Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke Shaggy Gold Club Luke Duke's Avatar
    Using the ol' leaf blower fire starter trick?

asshat Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis's Avatar
    bravo

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Duke View Post
    Using the ol' leaf blower fire starter trick?
    Shut up Luke. But, no, we actually didn't use it. This time.

asshat SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin Definitely Shaggy upper class SBBruin's Avatar

asshat Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain Shaggy Platinum Blain's Avatar
    Too many right angles.

asshat DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff Shaggy Gold Club DaysOff's Avatar
    That's no space station.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast