+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 Film Review: Kansas State 24, Texas 21

2016 Film Review: Kansas State 24, Texas 21

DEFENSE

How to Neutralize Hager

Add speed option to the list of things Texas' LBs don't know how to defend. This was a good playcall that had no business working.

link

Kansas State is reading Hager. Hager is best when he can play "see ball, hit ball." Opposing offenses would do well to make him make decisions, just like this. After his initial excitement at being unblocked, he gathers himself and diagnoses the play, which is good. But one thing he can't do is leave a running lane inside. He's so excited about the chance to hit two guys on the same play that he hits neither. It's a shame, because Wheeler had avoided the cut block and was in position to make a play on the pitch man. Had Hager forced the pitch, this probably would have been a negative-yardage play.

Get Bonney Out of There

Pro Football Focus said he allowed seven catches on nine targets for 53 yards and a touchdown. At one point the coaches decided they had to make a change and put Sheroid Evans in... for Kris Boyd. Whatever they're being paid, the person who made that decision is overpaid.

link

First of all, this is a very well-executed RPO. They combined their pass concept with QB draw, but it's so well done that it almost looks like Ertz is just scrambling on his own. But notice that the back and right guard release to block for him. It's going to be a positive play, but Texas still has a chance to keep it to about a 4-yard pickup. Unfortunately, the 6'4" QB who posted a 4.94 shuttle time coming out of high school broke Bonney's ankles.

But we're not done yet.

link

Texas is playing man, and every receiver except the back (who's running a flat route) runs a slant. As a corner in this situation, you're really only worried about two routes: the slant and the fade. The harder of the two to defend (and the easier to throw and catch) is the slant. The football 101 solution (KSU will illustrate later) to that problem is to align with inside leverage so that the receiver has to run behind or through you to run a slant. Line up to take away the slant, play the fade. If you don't, it looks like this.

The 'Forced' Fumble

It goes down as a forced fumble, but this was not a great play; it was lucky.

link

There's nothing fancy here. Everything Wheeler's seeing should be telling him to get downhill and scrape over the top of the guard. Instead, he hesitates likely because he's contemplating trying to go underneath the block, as Texas' linebackers frequently do and finds himself squarely in the guard's path. He's driven back 3 1/2 yards into the end zone. He flails wildly and accidentally knocks the ball loose. A "great" job would have stopped this play at the 3- or 4-yard line. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Backup Linebackers to the Rescue

This, on the other hand, was a solid play by Ed Freeman.

link

Texas' go-to on 3rd and medium or more is Cover 2. Kansas State calls a Cover 2 beater. Freeman let the slot receiver (corner route) go and got his eyes on the next receiver, who was running right into his zone. He looks like a guy who used to play safety, probably because he did. Freeman had some nice plays but he got lost against the run a few times (all of the linebackers did).

Also, there was an egregious hold by the left tackle that wasn't called. I wasn't looking for them but I saw four egregious holds (three by KSU) that affected the outcome of plays that weren't called. Brick needs to spend a couple minutes teaching the DL how to sell a hold; sometimes you can't fight through it.

OFFENSE

Duvernay: Still Fast

I don't know why he didn't get more usage. K-State ran the same coverages all game. Texas ran the concept he scored on one more time after the touchdown... with Jake Oliver running Duvernay's route. I don't know.

link

This is the same concept we looked at a few days ago in the Iowa State film review thread. Buechele (maybe) got his rib cracked trying to run it against Cal, then checked it down like a champ against the Cyclones. Here's what it looks like when the defense eats up the fake. The corner should be staying over the top of any outside vertical route, but he bites hard on the screen route and that's that. This offense is fun.

The 18 Wheeler Is Out of the Ditch

Some folks were ready to bury the 18 Wheeler package, but all it needed was to be run more intelligently.

link

Observe who is on the field besides Swoopes, Armanti Foreman (split out wide) and the offensive line. For some reason, the offense in recent weeks had been moving in the direction of trying to spread the defense out with the 18 Wheeler by adding more receivers. This time, they added 1,127 pounds of blockers. #52 from K-State tries to get cute and sneak inside Beck's block, but that only creates more space outside for Swoopes and helps Bluiett release to #22 quicker. Swoopes does the rest. This package works if Sterlin doesn't stray from what it is.

A New Goal-Line Play

It's not really "new" they were running it in fall practice but I don't think we've seen it in a game yet. Or if we have, it hasn't been executed.

link

Situationally, it's very similar to the slant play Kansas State scored on earlier. AND LOOK WHERE THE CORNERS ARE LINED UP: WITH INSIDE LEVERAGE. To get inside, Dorian Leonard has to go around the corner. The O-line gives Buechele a nice, clean pocket, which is great because, without an inside release, it takes time for the play to develop. The ball is on time and on target. Beautiful execution.

asshat taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20 Shaggy Silver Club taybo20's Avatar
    Defense makes me mad

Offensive play calling and wr rotation angers me from time to time as well

asshat Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro Shaggy Bronze Club Slingeroguitaro's Avatar
    So..errbody 'tarded.

asshat 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat has a gigantic e-peen. 88wildcat's Avatar
    The problem with that slant pass for the touchdown is that even if the cornerback cuts off the slant route of Pringle (#9), Heath (#4) is wide open. If Heath's man cuts off his slant route the second trail guy running to the right around the five yard line at the end is wide open. The defensive strategy there seemed to be "if everyone is open he won't be able to decide which receiver to throw it to."

asshat BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13 Shaggy Bronze Club BigHorn'13's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 88wildcat View Post
    The problem with that slant pass for the touchdown is that even if the cornerback cuts off the slant route of Pringle (#9), Heath (#4) is wide open. If Heath's man cuts off his slant route the second trail guy running to the right around the five yard line at the end is wide open. The defensive strategy there seemed to be "if everyone is open he won't be able to decide which receiver to throw it to."
    The whole point was that Bonney needed to play the slant and force a fade. You can see the other DBs do this (albeit not very well and still get beat) however, when you go with 24, the other team's gonna score. He does little by way of defending and does what he does best, starts to back peddle--even though he's on the mother$#@! 2 yard line!

Please send this to CS to hopefully discourage anymore play from 24. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

asshat vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz's Avatar
    Thanks as always... poor defense, what happened to coaching fundamentals?

I have to question what they heck they are doing all week watching film...we have watched these reviews for weeks now and seen glaring coaching issues...with no signs of fixing them. Unreal. My sons 5th grade team would have made more adjustments in one week than I have seen out of this defense in 4 weeks.

I knew in high school to play with inside leverage in goal line situations... how is this not being taught?

asshat dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? dcar00 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Quote Originally Posted by 88wildcat View Post
    yeah but we had the guy sitting down over the middle completely covered by 3 guys so at least there is that...

asshat loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco Probably Shaggy upper class loco's Avatar
    You ought to change your screen name to "Needs all the Bourbon" after breaking that film down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne_Kenoff View Post
    I knew in high school to play with inside leverage in goal line situations... how is this not being taught?
    I learned this in middle school, and was screaming at the TV when it happened. You force the harder throw. As a DB you make them make the perfect pass/catch and tip your hat when they do, too often we give up the easy $#@!. I also have no clue why Bonney continues to play, I know Davis is lacking confidence, and Hill is in the doghouse but whomever is left outside of Evans has to be better. Bonney can't cover and is just as bad in run support. How the coaches can look at the tape and continue to play him is beyond me.

Savant THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone Shaggy Platinum THujone's Avatar
    Awesome writeup again man. D makes me want to kill a fool.

asshat capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81 Shaggy Bronze Club capn81's Avatar
    I need to spread around rep and $#@!. I tell myself never to click this thread after a loss, but great work as always.

bunghole Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses
    This is painful to watch!!

bunghole Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses Abuelito grows his own roses
    I've also reviewed that field goal over and over and I just don't understand how Domingue knicked it that badly. For $#@!s sake it was a straight shot down the middle and he over swings his leg! No excuse for missing a gimme field goal! #NickRose

asshat panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club panthercityhorn Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Abuelito View Post
    I've also reviewed that field goal over and over and I just don't understand how Domingue knicked it that badly. For $#@!s sake it was a straight shot down the middle and he over swings his leg! No excuse for missing a gimme field goal! #NickRose
    There is no way to understand it-when everything else is going to $#@!, it naturally follows that this would apply here as well. At least that is what I keep telling myself to keep from overdosing on heroin

Quote Originally Posted by THujone View Post
    Awesome writeup again man. D makes me want to kill a fool.
    You gonna make an epic paint thread after the coaching carousel gets going?
    Quote Originally Posted by capn81 View Post
    I need to spread around rep and $#@!. I tell myself never to click this thread after a loss, but great work as always.
    These are good threads. Why would you wanna skip them?

• + Reply to Thread