+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 Film Review: Texas 35, Baylor 34

2016 Film Review: Texas 35, Baylor 34

Baylor waited 329 days to get revenge for their loss to 4-7 Texas in Waco. They waited 156 days to get revenge for Texas' masterful plot to oust Art Briles by... fabricating a rape scandal? Ensuring that the rape scandal didn't go unnoticed? I don't know; I still don't really get this one. And then Baylor had 27 days interrupted by only one game against Kansas to prepare for Texas.

Sucks to suck. Let's check the tape.

DEFENSE

It's Zone Read, Not Magic

Our inability to defend zone read is bizarre, especially because it feels like it's getting worse. If you don't like watching #LesserAthletes hurdle former walk-ons, don't click on the image below.

link

Generally speaking, there are two ways Texas can play this: (1) Roach can stay square, shuffle inside and force the QB to hand off; or (2) Roach can crash inside and chase the back, forcing the QB to keep the ball himself, while Wheeler scrapes outside to tackle the QB. What can't happen is a mixture of the two. Texas has typically chosen Option #1, so we can say with some confidence that Roach screwed up.

As for Haines... When you break down seven yards from the ballcarrier, you're inviting crazy $#@! like this. I don't think this is the first time Haines has been hurdled but I'm not sure.

If you don't like watching #LesserAthletes shake former walk-ons in the open field, don't click on the image below.

link

Hughes is the end this time. You can even tell from the way he's shuffling that he intended to force the "give" but came down too far. Having the RB bend out and chip the DE if he doesn't get the ball is a nice wrinkle. Just lol at the rest and take comfort in the fact that Texas won.

Hanlon's Razor

For the Xth straight week, officiating was terrible. Leave the conspiracy theories to the Baylor fans (except when officials start bumping into coaches so they can penalize them for it). There were so many bad calls that hurt both teams, it's clear this crew was just incompetent (Seth Russell fumbled). This is almost as bad as offensive pass interference gets.

link

Notice how Texas handled the trips set to the boundary (this will come up again). Earlier in the series, Texas had put the nickel on the field/solo side and walked Wheeler out to help on the trips side. They were probably concerned about getting beat on the single-receiver side and wanted the nickel over there to help. Baylor changed Texas' mind real quick by hitting the #3 receiver up the seam behind Wheeler. So now the defense puts the nickel (Locke) in press against the #2 receiver, spins DeShon Elliott down and keeps the linebackers in the box.

That leaves the solo-side corner, Holton Hill, on an island. It looks like man coverage everywhere. Dog Beater runs a curl, and Hill is in OK position until he's shoved to the ground; people who are mostly standing still don't fly several feet when they slip. This should have been 1st & 25 at the +35, which very likely changes the outcome of this drive.

How to Handle Boundary Trips

So as you can see from the previous play, the Longhorns were right to be concerned about the solo side. I mentioned that they started by putting the nickel to the field side. That gave them opportunities like this:

link

If you watch #3 run the seam, you can see why the Bears came back to that on the first play of the ensuing series.

Boyd plays it perfectly and KD Cannon gave up on the play without hesitation. Locke made a tremendous play. He had a really good game. Boyd bit on a double-move late in the game like I thought he would at some point, but he's playing like the best corner on the team and it isn't close. If Hill can get his confidence back, I think he's the best option at the other corner. He's should get a lot of chances this week.

No Matter How You Spin It, This Was a Stupid Timeout

Even the Baylor sites are grateful to Charlie Strong for calling a timeout just before the half to give them time to set this play up. If you're determined to sub, you'd better have the subs ready to go before the previous play even starts. That didn't happen. And no, Texas was not going to have too many men on the field if they didn't call the timeout the defensive tackle appeared to be off the field well before the whistle (unless Chris Nelson can't jog five yards in four seconds).

Baylor seemed content to take one hurried shot at the end zone and then kick a field goal. Instead, this happened.

link

Hill "opens the gate" and allows Cannon to run right past him. He has no effect on the timing of the play, and he doesn't use the sideline to his advantage. He's still not in horrible position, but he doesn't react quickly enough to Cannon's reaching for the ball. This was a pretty good throw, but Hill's lapses in technique made it way too easy.

Goal Line Sit

Texas had 11 players on the field here, and about five of them could have made this stop but didn't.

link

I don't know why both Hager and Omenihu are trying to come off the edge on the backside. Either of them coming through the B gap could have stopped this play in the backfield. Then, Roach's penetration at playside end disrupts both the H-back and the pulling guard, leaving three THREE second-level defenders unblocked. Nelson and Hall both get arms on the back, but neither can bring him down. Anyway, it was a great individual effort by Terence Williams. He wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

OFFENSE

We'll get the INT out of the way first. That makes sense because there's an obvious relationship between most of the other plays.

Help Your Quarterback

link

It looks like Buechele wanted to go to Porter first on what's almost a screen look, but Baylor dropped eight into coverage and it wasn't there. He came back to the comeback route. It maybe wasn't the best decision to try to slip out the back of the pocket, especially when there was so much space in front of him. That's just begging your tackle to hold the pass rusher, which Nickelson was happy to do. Buechele can get away with forcing a throw since it's 4th down. The frustrating part, though, is that this ball wasn't really forced it may have been a 1st down had Burt come back to it.

Finally, a Good Playcall

Sterlin did some really bizarre stuff, but this was a good one to narrow the deficit to two points.

link

Why haven't we seen something similar to this from the 18 Wheeler package? Maybe Sterlin doesn't know Swoopes had 490 pass attempts before he showed up.

Baylor was wholly unprepared for this play. They've got a 260-pound DE trying to cover Beck, but he doesn't seem to really believe his assignment exists. Armanti crack blocks one defender, but in reality he takes out two because the man covering him evidently can't recognize when a receiver is blocking. Beck did a great job finishing the play. He's caught three passes this year, two of them for touchdowns.

D'Onta Heisman Hype Train Rolls On

Both of D'Onta's touchdowns came on the same play: split zone. Note the pistol set. That probably would have benefited Chris Warren because the back gets going and then takes the handoff. It also prevents the defense from running some games to take away certain plays based on the back's alignment.

link

People will do it, but labeling Foreman a "big back," as though he is a plodder, is doing him a disservice. There's an unblocked safety with a great chance to bring him down when he bounces this play outside. He wouldn't have had a chance even if they were playing touch football. Collin Johnson puts in work as a blocker on the outside. Actually, it wasn't a difficult assignment at all. For the No. 8 team in a "rivalry" game, there were a lot of Baylor players giving up on plays.

Here's split zone (and touchdown) again. I guess this would be a good time to mention that the very stupid fourth-quarter handoff to Swoopes on 3rd & 5 was on this play, so at least that aspect made some sense.

link

Baylor's defensive line is slanting all over the place, which really muddles up the diagram. The offensive line deserves a lot of credit for executing its zone blocking assignments masterfully. Once he hits the hole, Foreman is so fast that no one has a chance, even with both safeties coming downhill.

The really important part to highlight, though, is what the threat of Foreman running does to the boundary safety. The offensive line was so physical, and Foreman was so good, that he had to be very involved against the run. That meant D'Onta's brother kept finding himself in one-on-one matchups with various corners.

To be continued (I hit the image limit)...

Army Slant

Baylor usually played Cover 2 to the field and sky to the boundary. On pass plays, the boundary safety would try to help bracket Armanti. It didn't work. Here's the slant pass attached to a run play that we started seeing take off in recent weeks.

link

When the boundary safety comes up to attack the run, space opens behind him to throw the slant. Watch Buechele's baseball-inspired footwork. If the CB can't hold up against the X receiver, this is so hard to defend (unless the offense helps out by fumbling).

Army Bombs

We'd all better be hoping Armanti isn't set on leaving with his brother, because no one else has shown the ability to consistently make these tough catches along the sideline. I guess it's not too much of a concern, however, because Armanti didn't have great field awareness until this season. It can be learned, apparently.

link

Remember after Notre Dame when critics were saying, "Yeah, but they got lucky hitting all those deep balls"? They were wrong. It should be clear by now that Buechele is extremely skilled throwing deep. It's been a long time since Texas has had that at quarterback.

link

I mean, this is ridiculous. Is Johnson going to be ready to make these plays next year? There have been a couple of signs that the answer is yes, but the sample size is so small. Please come back, Armanti. (I personally think he needs to return anyway so that there's more tape of him. He only has 48 career receptions. His brother, on the other hand ... go make some money, young man.)

So that's what I saw. What did you guys see?

\_(ツ)_/ SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII Definitely Shaggy upper class SPII's Avatar
    nothing to contribute other than a big "thank you".

asshat Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine Definitely Shaggy upper class Beau Vine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Needs More Bourbon View Post

link

For the No. 8 team in a "rivalry" game, there were a lot of Baylor players giving up on plays.
    Holy $#@!, look at the effort by that top CB.

asshat vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz's Avatar
    I see you doing an amazing job.

That being said, have our corners improved since the Cal game? Has our run defense? Can we simply not defend a mobile QB to save our lives? Has PJ Locke been in the dog house? He seemed great last year, and hasn't seemed to arrive until this past game.

asshat branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder's Avatar
    Rewatching on LHN Overdrive right now. 2nd quarter Horns were close to dominating. From the 4th down sack/fumble up to the point they let Russel run free at around 3:50 left in the half, it was ALL Texas. Had Armanti not had that fumble they might have broken it open.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Vine View Post
    He didn't want any. I can't remember if it was cal for sure, but there was another db that did the same thing.

asshat BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13's Avatar
    My 2 middle fingers down, other 2 poking out. Thumb tucked in yeah I'm reppin my block.
    Bonney had his best game by far. I've been very critical of him but he played very well on Saturday. Don't think I'm ready to say he should start quite yet but kuddos to him.

Savant THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone's Avatar
    Great job as always. This is one of my favorite things to look forward to each week. Bravo.

Did anyone notice that BOTH Bonney and Haines had touchdown saving break-ups? I mean, those were big, big plays. Plays like that tell me that our secondary is hesitating less and just balling. Look, the running qb issues were on mental breaks by the front seven. The back 4 did their jobs in this game.

asshat vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THujone View Post
    Great job as always. This is one of my favorite things to look forward to each week. Bravo.

Did anyone notice that BOTH Bonney and Haines had touchdown saving break-ups? I mean, those were big, big plays. Plays like that tell me that our secondary is hesitating less and just balling. Look, the running qb issues were on mental breaks by the front seven. The back 4 did their jobs in this game.
    Agreed.. although Haines did get posterized by Russell twice. The PBU was key though.

purveyor of taste huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge's Avatar
    Seth Russell is very athletic for a QB, white nerdy look notwithstanding

dipshit Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. Pogo can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkwellborn View Post
    He didn't want any. I can't remember if it was cal for sure, but there was another db that did the same thing.
    IIRC, the Cal CB decided his shoes needed to be tied right as Foreman was crossing the goal line.

Edit: The Cal TD was a Warren run.
    https://gfycat.com/DirectHeartfeltGardensnake
    Last edited by Pogo; 11-02-2016 at 02:10 PM.

asshat bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club bularry Shaggy Gold Club
    good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post
    IIRC, the Cal CB decided his shoes needed to be tied right as Foreman was crossing the goal line.

I'm not sure I've seen lower effort in a college game than that

Hill might of had a pick 6 if not for that offensive PI that wasn't called.

We need Boom back just to tell these guys to

on the zone read plays.

Foreman twins are both grown ass men, but I'd bet D'onta came out first.

Kris has held up nicely. Bonney was good.

Our safeties continue to be nonexistent for the most part. They are just always out of position, can't wait until we find some that can be ballhawks as well. Not sure who is less aggressive, our safeties are LBs.

asshat pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn Shaggy Silver Club pearlandhorn's Avatar
    Baylor may have well just played man coverage against us the whole game. On several of those gifs, the deep safety was no where near the ball due to being so hesitant to leave 10 years behind the LOS. Best part was the bad angles so many of them took at D'Onta throughout the game.

Shane really does have a nice deep ball. Really happy to see Leonard get involved with this offense with Burt suffering from stone hands.

asshat Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned Shaggy Gold Club Staboned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogo View Post

Quote Originally Posted by bighornfan32 View Post
    I'm not sure I've seen lower effort in a college game than that
    easily my most memorable play this year. loved that NMB pointed that out or i would have missed it

Would have liked to hear the discussion in the film room.

fucktard trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka.
    hello guys see review on sign up and login tip on Rediffmail
    http://www.silvercrib.com/rediffmail...in-rediff-com/

fucktard trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka. trende If you're this low, you're probably Derka.

Hi guys

hello guys see review on sign up and login tip on Rediffmail
    http://www.silvercrib.com/rediffmail...in-rediff-com/

Hi guys

hey guys get the new gmail sign in tips
    http://www.kikguru.com/gmail-sign-in...ogle-accounts/

purveyor of taste huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge Shaggy Gold Club huge's Avatar
    what the hell is this?

asshat BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? BigHorn'13's Avatar
    My 2 middle fingers down, other 2 poking out. Thumb tucked in yeah I'm reppin my block.
    It's kinda like a 'crime free Montrose'

asshat Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10 Shaggy Gold Club Jersey Man10's Avatar
    Hey $#@! off

asshat Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck Probably Shaggy upper class Fightin' Buck's Avatar
    Puttin' brothers to rest like Eliot Ness. Cause I don't like stress
    no team with a defense that bad should ever be ranked #8

• + Reply to Thread