+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10 Thoughts Week 11 - Armageddon in November

asshat BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed's Avatar
    Fuck you forever Pelini. Win lose or tie, Huskers till I die. Win every day.

10 Thoughts Week 11 - Armageddon in November

Haven't been in yet today because of a full day of football. That Dallas/Pittsburgh game was great.

So, seriously, since the month of November dawned, things are getting really weird up in here. Donald Trump is now our POTUS. The Cubs have a World Series title. And last Saturday...flat chaos. College football's week of Armageddon.

1. So, let's start the week of upsets with a disclaimer

Everyone's playing for second to Bama this year. I speculated about a month ago wondering if this was Saban's best team ever.

I think the answer is clear: Yes it is.

You realize that Alabama has only won by less than 10 points once this year, and even in that game they were up 48-30 and derped up 13 points in the final five minutes. Mississippi State's reward for beating Aggie was a 51-3 beating in Tuscaloosa. Granted, Miss State isn't the team they were when Dak was quarterbacking and who would be but they still beat Texas A&M, and then got beat by 48 points for their troubles.

Most Saban teams don't destroy opponents. Not like this. The only team that can beat Alabama is Alabama. Yes, Ohio State is out there, but Tim Beck play calling against Bama is a recipe for disaster.

2. Now, regarding the upsets. On Pitt vs Clemson, I am very surprised Pitt won, but not surprised they kept the game close. All of Pitt's losses were to solid to very good teams. Oklahoma State, solid chance to win the Big 12. North Carolina, solid ACC squad. VT, same. Miami has been inconsistent, but still had it rolling early on till that missed PAT vs FSU.

3. On the Michigan game. That one to me is the most surprising. Iowa is quite the weird team, just like their state. They lose to North Dakota State and Northwestern, then beat Michigan. That's the whole Buster Douglas/Mike Tyson type deal, that is to say that upset happens only once out of every 10 times. Iowa needed everything to go right for it to win, and everything did go right.

I see that the polls have Michigan at 4 not Clemson. I disagree and I am B1G all the way. I pick Clemson at four because they actually have a win against one of the other top three (Louisville). Michigan is good, but hasn't played that top, top quality team yet.

4. As far as the USC game, USC is a three loss team, but a very quality three loss team. Their only losses are to the undisputed best team, a solid Stanford, and a tough road loss against a very good Utes team. Their win against Colorado was a really big turning point for their season and they are rolling right now. Loss doesn't hurt Wash too much, simply because they still control their destiny to win the North in the Apple Cup.

5. Wisconsin rolls Illinois. Compared to the gauntlet that Wisconsin has played, playing Illinois, Purdue this week and Minnesota to wind it up must feel like scrimmages to the Badgers. And yes, if they win the B1G with two losses considering who they've played I absolutely am an advocate for them getting in. Penn State if they win the B1G is very much alive as well.

6. Don't look now but Oklahoma isn't dead yet for the playoff race, far from it. We have to wait and see what the committee says but the polls having them in the lower tier of the top 10 says they have an outside chance. They also have two marquee matchups in the last few weeks of the season, including at West Virginia this week. Don't discount the Mountaineers just yet either.

7. Auburn loses to Georgia which means Bama wins the West. It seems like a surprise considering the way Auburn has been playing, but remember that this is a rivalry with a lot of emotion involved. Georgia has had an up and down year, but no doubt that will provide an uptick of energy for that team.

8. LSU best three loss team in history? Seriously, their three losses, two of them are the undisputed number one and another team in the hunt for a playoff berth and the other one was to a very solid Auburn team that came down to the last play of the game. Usually they have trouble with Arkansas, not last night. That was men and boys.

9. John Carroll beat Mount Union Saturday. Some might say, what? Why is this here?

Well, for this reason: That loss by Mount Union ended the longest win streak in the history, THE ENTIRE HISTORY, of the NCAA, at 112. Ended a 24 year conference championship streak too. NO matter what division it is, those kinds of streaks are ones you will never see again.

10. Next week is going to be terrible for games. Usual SEC cupcake week with the exception of UF.LSU. $9.95 back, please.

That's Week 11, in the books....

bunghole NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies grows his own roses NIUHuskies's Avatar
    "Michigan is good, but hasn't played that top, top quality team yet."

So you are discounting Wisconsin here...

Damn. I didn't know the Mount Union streak was still alive until Saturday.

asshat BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed Shaggy Gold Club BoBigRed's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NIUHuskies View Post
    "Michigan is good, but hasn't played that top, top quality team yet."

So you are discounting Wisconsin here...
    Ha you are right. My bad. Somehow forgot about that one haha

A rematch scenario between those two would be interesting but I think OSU beats Mich
    Last edited by BoBigRed; 11-13-2016 at 10:11 PM.

I grew up in Alliance, Ohio which is the home of the Mount Union Purple Raiders. They'll rebound but it will be interesting to see how they do in the playoffs if every game is on the road.

Ohio State is in an interesting position. If they are put in the #2 spot and win convincingly at Sparty and beat Michigan it will be tough for the committee to leave them out. Before anyone says TCU in 2014 TCU had a resume in 2014 that in no way will compare to the Ohio State resume this year. Ohio State can end up 11-1 with wins against three top 10 teams with two of the wins on the road. The one loss would be to a top 10 team on the road. I'm not sure there is another highly ranked team in the nation that has played a comparable schedule.

asshat Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death Definitely Shaggy upper class Duck of Death's Avatar
    Counterpoint: $#@! tosu

asshat CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel's Avatar
    Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBigRed View Post
    Everyone's playing for second to Bama this year. I speculated about a month ago wondering if this was Saban's best team ever.
    Interesting scenario we have this year for those that bemoan the playoffs/conference championship games.

In the "olden days" Bama plays Auburn, takes the rest of the year off and faces the winner of Ohio State / Michigan for all the marbles.
    Imagine Nick Saban with 8 weeks to prepare for either of those teams...

asshat CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel Definitely Shaggy upper class CheeseWeasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duck of Death View Post
    Counterpoint: $#@! tosu
    Counter-counterpoint: $#@! Aggy

Row the Boat for perfection.

Didn't realize Ole Miss beat Aggy late Saturday. Was out and about and all I saw was that Aggy was ahead in the 2nd half. Lost to a backup QB. They, like all of us, always settle in to our statistical mean. Looks like they'll finish with 4 losses.

LSU manhandled Arky. What gets me about Arky is they run a physical running game so you think their defense would be better at stopping it since they play against it every day. Yet, they give up big rushing yards against every legit team they play.

Here's hoping LSU keeps Ogeron. We don't see colorful coaches anymore like we did back in the day but Ogeron is a perfect cultural match there and damn entertaining.

The Pac-12 is a $#@! storm.

If OU makes the playoffs, they'll get totally blown out by whoever they play.

Tim Beck doesn't call the plays for Ohio State. Ed Warinner does.

It's the size of Texas, Mr. President.

asshat EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? EscapedGoat's Avatar
    9. John Carroll beat Mount Union Saturday. Some might say, what? Why is this here?

Well, for this reason: That loss by Mount Union ended the longest win streak in the history, THE ENTIRE HISTORY, of the NCAA, at 112. Ended a 24 year conference championship streak too. NO matter what division it is, those kinds of streaks are ones you will never see again.

"Those are people who died, died
    Those are people who died, died"

That could have been the damn theme song for this past week too.

Auburn's main problem was injuries. The starting QB was hurt and probably shouldn't have played the whole game. He hasn't taken any snaps in practice in 2 weeks. Pettway, who had >1000 yards rushing in 6 games, didn't dress out. His backup, the original starter, Kerryon Johnson, was hobbled by an ankle injury. The next guy at RB, Stanton Truitt, got hurt on his first carry. Even the H-back got hurt. It's a MASH unit on offense. Stil, the D played well enough (giving up only 6 points) that AU probably wins if they just run every play in the 2nd half.

Just a slight quibble. That's a regular season win streak. They actually last lost a game on Friday December 19, 2014 against Wisonsin Whitewater in the Stagg Bowl (Division III Championship game).
    Last edited by relapse98; 11-14-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua Buddha View Post
    Didn't realize Ole Miss beat Aggy late Saturday. Was out and about and all I saw was that Aggy was ahead in the 2nd half. Lost to a backup QB.
    Yeah, it appears you were out and about. That was true freshman who had never taken a snap in a college game. First half, he was making freshman mistakes. Second half, he fixed those. He could roll either direction and pass while on the run. His feet kept a number of plays alive. I'd like to see what he does against a good defense, but they only have Vanderbilt and Cowbell left, so it'll probably have to wait for the bowl game or next year. But that 'backup QB' looks pretty friggin good. I can't imagine him even doing much in practice until Kelly was injured, it didn't appear they were going to pull the redshirt off until Kelly couldn't come back after the Georgia Southern game.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatTheBuck View Post
    Tim Beck doesn't call the plays for Ohio State. Ed Warinner does.
    Funny, from what I saw of the PSU game, had Beck's stench all over it.

Whoever called plays that night did a $#@!ty job

Quote Originally Posted by Escriva View Post
    Auburn's main problem was injuries. The starting QB was hurt and probably shouldn't have played the whole game. He hasn't taken any snaps in practice in 2 weeks. Pettway, who had >1000 yards rushing in 6 games, didn't dress out. His backup, the original starter, Kerryon Johnson, was hobbled by an ankle injury. The next guy at RB, Stanton Truitt, got hurt on his first carry. Even the H-back got hurt. It's a MASH unit on offense. Stil, the D played well enough (giving up only 6 points) that AU probably wins if they just run every play in the 2nd half.

Quote Originally Posted by relapse98 View Post
    Just a slight quibble. That's a regular season win streak. They actually last lost a game on Friday December 19, 2014 against Wisonsin Whitewater in the Stagg Bowl (Division III Championship game).
    Wisconsin Whitewater. Nebraska's ginger AD's alma mater

Funny, from what I saw of the PSU game, had Beck's stench all over it.

Whoever called plays that night did a $#@!ty job
    When the OL can't control the line of scrimmage and gets blown up repeatedly, it's hard for any play call to look good. The play calling in the losses in '13 and '14 looked bad too. There were lots of questions about Herman at the time. Urban Meyer has never been held hostage by an OC. It's his offense. He's engaged in it even when the defense is on the field.

With all the problems in that game it was mistakes on special teams that did them in.

asshat Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme's Avatar
    I have a prediction. I would put it in BBR's week 12 thread but I'm impatient.

OSU is going to beat UM big. I don't think it will be close really. I think 4 TDs or so.

This will leave the East in the hands of PSU, who will face MSU at 3:30 EDT on Saturday. MSU is gonna win this game. I am not a blind homer. MSU is really young and gaining confidence. Their lines are littered with true and RS frosh and sophs. They are talented and starting to play like non-frosh. With decent QB play (huge question mark) I think MSU will pull this one out.

I don't think this is the preferred scenario for OSU. They are a program that probably sets their sights higher than a division and conference championship. I think OSU would rather stay home and waltz into the playoffs.

OSU will go to Indy. And lose to Wisconsin. Wisconsin is really $#@!ing good somehow. They will relish their second crack at OSU and capitalize on it.

What do I win.

Quote Originally Posted by Baboontyme View Post

OSU is going to beat UM big. I don't think it will be close really. I think 4 TDs or so.

This will leave the East in the hands of PSU, who will face MSU at 3:30 EDT on Saturday. MSU is gonna win this game. I am not a blind homer. MSU is really young and gaining confidence. Their lines are littered with true and RS frosh and sophs. They are talented and starting to play like non-frosh. With decent QB play (huge question mark) I think MSU will pull this one out.

I don't think this is the preferred scenario for OSU. They are a program that probably sets their sights higher than a division and conference championship. I think OSU would rather stay home and waltz into the playoffs.

OSU will go to Indy. And lose to Wisconsin. Wisconsin is really $#@!ing good somehow. They will relish their second crack at OSU and capitalize on it.

What do I win.
    I like the way you think up until that Wisconisn beating OSU part. I would love to see your boys beat PSU, although I'm not sure that MSU has ever done OSU a solid so I'm not holding my breath. I think that the Game is going to be a dogfight with OSU prevailing close if special teams screw ups are avoided. I don't want to leave OSU's fate in the hands of the committee and, moreover, don't want to see PSU win anything ever and would rather run the risk of losing the BIG Championship game than sit "safely" at home. But there are many OSU fans who disagree and would love to see OSU get a playoff nod over Big champ PSU and thereby fuel cult conspiracy theories for the next half century or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Baboontyme View Post

What do I win.
    Cocaine is a hell of a drug!

MSU is all beat up and hasn't played a complete game all year, the only thing they are playing for is the upset.
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a big Green & White victory over Pedo State but I give it about a 1:8 chance at best.

No worries it is basketball season there is always next year

asshat Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme Shaggy Silver Club Baboontyme's Avatar
    I suck.

• + Reply to Thread