+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 451

Thread: Should "Fake News" be surpressed on social media?

  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    It's all narcissism.

    It's amazing to me how many people think consensus is an argument. Getting a bunch of people to agree with you doesn't mean that you're right. You see some false claim on an article, which links to another article with absolutely no factual support, which links to another baseless article, so on and so on.

    You burrow deeper into the rabbit hole and there's no there there. All you have is a bunch of people who agree with each other, and they love congratulating each other for how smart they are...Narcissism.
    Or like King Solomon said about 2,700 years ago:
    "I have seen everything that is done under the sun, and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind."
    Ecclesiastes 1:14, ESV

  • #102
    Quote Originally Posted by CooterBrown View Post
    The biggest problem is that many people consider anything that doesn't confirm their own biases as fake or as having a slanted view. You can't argue with that mindset.

  • #103
    Deputy Dawg Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen. Dolemite has a gigantic e-peen.
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    15,134
    No, but they could do something about the fake news on network tv.

  • #104
    Quote Originally Posted by RockportLH View Post
    Lulz. Except if they agreed with your point of view you would be singing a different tune. $#@!ing hypocrites abound on the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by tantric superman View Post
    Something about your post tells me you know lots about hypocrisy.
    And nothing about irony.

  • #105
    asshat ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets Shaggy Silver Club ChickenNuggets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    stuck in traffic
    Posts
    4,499
    Quote Originally Posted by RomaVicta View Post
    Funny/scary

    Let's have a vote on what the truth is. Earth is flat. Jews have tails. Negroes are inferior. Poseidon causes earthquakes. Hillary is a murderess. Voting on facts is an effective way to truth.
    It's not perfect, but at least we have ourselves to blame.

  • #106
    Ha, unless Melania posts on Clutchfans, found your handle over there Spartacus:

    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?...-media.278605/

  • #107
    asshat crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bevo Bevo Land
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    If you share something, they don't present that share to everyone that is friends with you.
    Serious question then, how does it work if not like that?

  • #108
    asshat G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlonghorn View Post
    Serious question then, how does it work if not like that?
    They have algorithms that show it to certain people. I don't know the formula, but even if you just post a status update your friends list doesn't automatically see it, just certain people.

  • #109
    asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,779
    Quote Originally Posted by G650 View Post
    They have algorithms that show it to certain people. I don't know the formula, but even if you just post a status update your friends list doesn't automatically see it, just certain people.
    I think this is right. Then if those people start to comment or share, Facebook widens the net of the 1st generation people to see it. If you saw everything that your friends posted, then many items would get lost in the noise. Facebook is smart enough to realize this, so they don't automatically show you everything. However, I believe that if you open up a friend's page, you then see everything they have posted.

    They also examine your post to see if they think everyone or certain people want to see it. So if you shared the news that you got a new job, they would attempt to figure out which one of your friends would care about that, or more importantly, which friends will comment and share the news.

    FB's 15K employees work hard to figure out how to get you to spend the most time possible reading their ads. That's their business model and they're very good at it.

  • #110
    asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,779
    And I believe that Facebook is even creepier with their algorithms. If you remain logged onto FB with your browser but are browsing the web, Facebook records what your're looking at. You know all of those FB Like or FB comments sections on many non-FB pages? Yeah when you see those and remain logged onto FB, they record that you looked at that web page. Helps them determine what you want to see in terms of posts and ads.

  • #111
    asshat phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn Definitely Shaggy upper class phdhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Planet Lovetron, ATX
    Posts
    39,825
    One of these days I'm going to have to get on Facebook. Maybe. Nah.

  • #112
    I still have more of an issue with newsrooms that should know better. CNN currently has the main story as Clapper resigning as if it isn't normal and not until inauguration day. The main story would be if Trump kept him on. But CNN is making this out as if it is the end of the world. But I blame myself for caring about CNN.

  • #113
    asshat G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by phdhorn View Post
    One of these days I'm going to have to get on Facebook. Maybe. Nah.
    Wise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    But I blame myself for caring about CNN.

    Yes, yes you should.

  • #114
    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    And I believe that Facebook is even creepier with their algorithms. If you remain logged onto FB with your browser but are browsing the web, Facebook records what your're looking at. You know all of those FB Like or FB comments sections on many non-FB pages? Yeah when you see those and remain logged onto FB, they record that you looked at that web page. Helps them determine what you want to see in terms of posts and ads.
    The other day at work I briefly looked at Moscow Mule recipes on my work computer. My company blocks Facebook.

    Ever since then, my Facebook (which I only check on my phone) has been showing me ads for Moscow Mules. $#@! is creepy.

  • #115
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Finster View Post
    The other day at work I briefly looked at Moscow Mule recipes on my work computer. My company blocks Facebook.

    Ever since then, my Facebook (which I only check on my phone) has been showing me ads for Moscow Mules. $#@! is creepy.
    That's pretty straight-forward.

    What's creepy was the way Target was sending out pregnancy "coupons".

  • #116
    Quote Originally Posted by RockportLH View Post
    Lulz. Except if they agreed with your point of view you would be singing a different tune. $#@!ing hypocrites abound on the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenNuggets View Post
    It's not perfect, but at least we have ourselves to blame.
    Blaming themselves is another thing people are good at.

  • #117
    asshat Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks Shaggy Gold Club Texas_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Valhöll Weed Patch
    Posts
    15,096
    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    And I believe that Facebook is even creepier with their algorithms. If you remain logged onto FB with your browser but are browsing the web, Facebook records what your're looking at. You know all of those FB Like or FB comments sections on many non-FB pages? Yeah when you see those and remain logged onto FB, they record that you looked at that web page. Helps them determine what you want to see in terms of posts and ads.
    Was checking out the FB feed one time when this came up.

    "(my friend) likes Vintage Porn"

    I replied with "lol"

    She came back with something about it being a misunderstanding because she was liking a vintage furniture website. Yeah, I don't know how any of that $#@! works, but that is creepy to have that $#@! pop up.

  • #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    I still have more of an issue with newsrooms that should know better. CNN currently has the main story as Clapper resigning as if it isn't normal and not until inauguration day. The main story would be if Trump kept him on. But CNN is making this out as if it is the end of the world. But I blame myself for caring about CNN.
    Yeah, that is not fake news. Just partisan news with driven by an agenda. They could fix that if they just declared that they were in the bag for the Democrats. It is their pretense that they are fair and unbiased that is really offensive.

  • #119
    asshat G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Yeah, that is not fake news. Just partisan news with driven by an agenda. They could fix that if they just declared that they were in the bag for the Democrats. It is their pretense that they are fair and unbiased that is really offensive.
    Anyone that thinks CNN is in the bag for Dem's is woefully misguided. They are just shallow and inane. They are in the bag for idiots.

    MSNBC is in the bag for Dem's who happen to be idiots. Fox for R's who are spectacular idiots.

  • #120
    asshat The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. The Missing Link's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Hyrule
    Posts
    6,955
    Quote Originally Posted by G650 View Post
    Anyone that thinks CNN is in the bag for Dem's is woefully misguided. They are just shallow and inane. They are in the bag for idiots.

    MSNBC is in the bag for Dem's who happen to be idiots. Fox for R's who are spectacular idiots.
    CNN and Fox are equal opposites. They put on a face of professionalism, but clearly cater to a certain audience. I would not say either is in the bag for anyone, they are just catering to their audience.

    MSNBC doesn't even try. It's a completely different animal.
    Last edited by The Missing Link; 11-17-2016 at 02:10 PM.

  • #121
    asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,779
    Quote Originally Posted by G650 View Post
    Anyone that thinks CNN is in the bag for Dem's is woefully misguided. They are just shallow and inane. They are in the bag for idiots.

    MSNBC is in the bag for Dem's who happen to be idiots. Fox for R's who are spectacular idiots.
    I will defend Spartacus some. Over the last few weeks of the elections, I do think that several of the CNN anchors started to exhibit too much support for Hillary because they were incredulous that Trump was in the position of potentially, and ultimately, winning. There were definite exceptions: Anderson Cooper and Carol Costello. I think they are fair to both sides but I imagine some here think they are both part of the communist party. DSA can let us know if they show up to meetings.

    The line has blurred between impartial anchor and political commentator. I don't believe it was or is now a common understanding that Hannity doesn't consider himself a journalist. I like to think I follow the news but I didn't realize he felt this way about himself. Fox News should be more upfront about that. And potentially the same with some CNN anchors.

    Not too mention that cable news should be about 10-20% political news with an uptick during elections. And close to 100% around the election day. Instead it's more like 90% all the time. Even business news comes from a political angle. "The Dow is up/down today, is this because of what happened in Washington this morning?"

  • #122
    asshat crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bevo Bevo Land
    Posts
    6,264
    Quote Originally Posted by G650 View Post
    They have algorithms that show it to certain people. I don't know the formula, but even if you just post a status update your friends list doesn't automatically see it, just certain people.
    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    I think this is right. Then if those people start to comment or share, Facebook widens the net of the 1st generation people to see it. If you saw everything that your friends posted, then many items would get lost in the noise. Facebook is smart enough to realize this, so they don't automatically show you everything. However, I believe that if you open up a friend's page, you then see everything they have posted.
    Well sure, I figured this was the case, but that doesn't take away from my opinion that the problem isn't the "fake" sites but people who share the information. At some point you have to acknowledge that some people are dumb and are going to forward $#@! along that isn't true, which I think they have every right (generally, not just legally) to do.

    Ultimately it gets down to being a problem with democracy and saying that some people aren't allowed to have an opinion, right? That's a dangerous slippery slope.

  • #123
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlonghorn View Post
    Well sure, I figured this was the case, but that doesn't take away from my opinion that the problem isn't the "fake" sites but people who share the information. At some point you have to acknowledge that some people are dumb and are going to forward $#@! along that isn't true, which I think they have every right (generally, not just legally) to do.

    Ultimately it gets down to being a problem with democracy and saying that some people aren't allowed to have an opinion, right? That's a dangerous slippery slope.
    Facebook isn't a public good. People can have whatever opinion they want. Facebook can allow those opinions to be shared on their service or not. With net neutrality intact, the internet itself is a public good, but if its undone, it will no longer be either. Your ISP could block your access to sites.
    Last edited by FondrenRoad; 11-17-2016 at 02:12 PM.

  • #124
    asshat Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign has a gigantic e-peen. Horn Under a Bad Sign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Makin' sweet love to your mama.
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    How do you know that it is not true?

    Also, when the New York Times publishes a report that is clearly false, such as that the Benghazi attacks were motivated by a video on Youtube, doesn't that put the NYT in the same company?

    Holy $#@!ing $#@!.

    We're doomed.

  • #125
    asshat G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    I will defend Spartacus some. Over the last few weeks of the elections, I do think that several of the CNN anchors started to exhibit too much support for Hillary because they were incredulous that Trump was in the position of potentially, and ultimately, winning. There were definite exceptions: Anderson Cooper and Carol Costello. I think they are fair to both sides but I imagine some here think they are both part of the communist party. DSA can let us know if they show up to meetings.

    The line has blurred between impartial anchor and political commentator. I don't believe it was or is now a common understanding that Hannity doesn't consider himself a journalist. I like to think I follow the news but I didn't realize he felt this way about himself. Fox News should be more upfront about that. And potentially the same with some CNN anchors.

    Not too mention that cable news should be about 10-20% political news with an uptick during elections. And close to 100% around the election day. Instead it's more like 90% all the time. Even business news comes from a political angle. "The Dow is up/down today, is this because of what happened in Washington this morning?"

    I'm not arguing they didn't go all in for Clinton in this election. What I'm saying is they go which ever way the wind blows, facts be damned. Fox and MSNBC are selling partisan product. CNN is selling $#@!ing clickbait.

  • #126
    Quote Originally Posted by G650 View Post
    I'm not arguing they didn't go all in for Clinton in this election. What I'm saying is they go which ever way the wind blows, facts be damned. Fox and MSNBC are selling partisan product. CNN is selling $#@!ing clickbait.
    Fox is arguably the other side of CNN, not MSNBC. The howlers at MSNBC are true radicals who are totally out of control.

  • #127
    asshat G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Fox is arguably the other side of CNN, not MSNBC. The howlers at MSNBC are true radicals who are totally out of control.
    Faux News is just as bad.

  • #128
    Quote Originally Posted by G650 View Post
    Faux News is just as bad.
    As CNN, perhaps.

  • #129
    White Mexican LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP has a gigantic e-peen. LongIslandIceSIP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    16,737
    Facebook fake-news writer: 'I think Donald Trump is in the White House because of me'

    http://www.sfgate.com/elections/arti...p-10620810.php

  • #130
    There's path that goes:

    Just the facts, ma'am -> "Reputable" news sources -> Acceptably partisan news sources -> Partisan rags -> Partisan liars -> The National Enquirer

    The crazy stuff isn't all that dangerous since it's pretty clearly crazy (I hope). The liars, which includes Breitbart (I don't read enough Huffpo to make a judgement there) are the dangerous ones in my opinion. The more believable the lies, the more dangerous it is, since it creeps into our collective discourse as truth. That map is an outright lie - if your child tried to pull something like that, you'd be all over it.

    I'm not a big fan of suppressing speech, even on a private platform (which is why we're all here, not some other site), but surely there's a way to improve the level of discourse, right? We're rapidly slipping into idiocracy.

  • #131
    I think they should stay, but shoud be open if they are fake AND should have a page of sponsors/endorsements the channel or parent company has given. Say I go to CNN of FOX, there should be a page on their website that tells me who all their sponsors are, and who if any political campaigns they or their parent has given to. That way you can go in with a bit of skepticism of an article about Clinton on Fox when clearly their owner and sponsors are in the tank with the GOP.

    Present all the information and let the person come to their own decision as to trust a site or not. Having a list of sites that are "Fake" or "Real" when there is no clear reasoning for why they are on the list lends an opening for there to be a bias. Just print whatever story you want, tell me who sponsors you and who you sponsor and I will come to my own conclusions.
    Last edited by SilentJay; 11-17-2016 at 03:59 PM.

  • #132
    asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    21,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    Is Breitbart a "Fake News" website? Is the Huffington Post? Both spew large numbers of fabricated, sensationalist, click-bait, "Fake News" articles.

    The trick is going to be identifying which sites are basically just nothing but "Fake News" and the others that have some "Fake News," (such as Breitbart and HuffPo) without bringing people's partisan biases into play.
    To use a well-worn saying, it'll take 5% of the time to identify 95% of the fake sites, and 95% of the time to get the last 5% of the fake sites.

    As for "legitimate" sites spewing out click-bait, and I use the term "legitimate" loosely, that does become extremely difficult.

    It becomes much more difficult when you factor in the sites that are scraping content from "legitimate" sites. It's amazing how easy it is to automate that stuff, and setup a site that looks legitimate. That goes into a completely different area though (copyright, etc.).

    Rest assured that much of the motivation behind wanting to do this now is that Trump won the election. If Hillary won, do you really think this would be a hot issue, like it is now?

    Clearly the answer is no.
    Actually, I think it was going to become a problem that had to be addressed regardless of who won. In the past 2 years, I've blocked more clickbait/fake news sites in my Facebook stream, both from friends who like/share that $#@!, and from the sponsored content/"things you might like" (or whatever) than I had in the past 5 years.

    It's just that it would have been addressed in a more quiet manner, and on a different timeline - some companies would be more aggressive than others.

    In the past, the bigger problem was websites gaming Google's search-engine algorithms to pump themselves up in the search rankings, which meant an increase in viewers/advertising revenue.

    Now, websites can completely bypass Google through social networks/sharing. I've seen new sites pumping out stuff that's shared a hundred thousand times, before they ever get properly indexed and ranked by Google and visited by 100 people through Google's search engine.

  • #133
    asshat ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    14,329
    Is Fortune a "fake news" site?

    Because there are absolutely no facts to back up this claim.

    There has been a steady drumbeat of criticism aimed at Twitter and its failure to take action to stop hate speech on the platform, apart from certain special cases, including an incident in July when black actor and comedian Leslie Jones was targeted by racists.

    After Jones said she was quitting the service due to the unrelenting harassment, Dorsey reached out to her. Shortly afterwards, Milo Yiannopolous, the technology editor of right-wing site Breitbart News and a proponent of various “alt-right” views—including the need for races to live separately—had his account permanently banned.
    Perhaps outright racist remarks like those made towards Leslie Jones seem like an obvious candidate for removal.
    http://fortune.com/2016/11/16/twitter-ban-alt-right/

    They play coy by breaking the text up into two separate sections but the implication is clear. They are trying to say that Milo was banned because of racist tweets. There is no mention of the fact that Milo never tweeted anything racist. All he did was criticize her movie.

    This is "reporting" designed to mislead.

    However, this has zero persuasive effect. All they will do is preach to the choir. This will convince no one. All anyone has to do is a quick Google search to see this is a lie, which will lead to even further mistrust of the news.

    And they will make this mistake over and over and over again.

    They think they can publish untruth because Facebook and Twitter control their content. We'll see how long that lasts.

  • #134
    asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    21,154
    And a completely different problem - astroturfing has been much worse in 2016 than it was in 2012, because of social networking.

    In 2012, there were a lot of astroturfers for various candidates, pumping out messages through various forums. Some of those companies were paying by the post.

    Now, you still have that, but they are also paying by the social media shares (hence the millions of fake twitter accounts), they are getting paid to take favorable stories about the candidates and pump them out through Facebook and various online forums, etc.

    Both are a problem for Facebook, Google, twitter, etc. and separating the astroturfers from the clickbaiters who only care about advertising revenue can be very difficult.

  • #135
    asshat AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo Probably Shaggy upper class AtomHeartBevo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    21,154
    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    I'm sure that Facebook wants to rely on the goodwill of people and their desire to read/share factual news. But most people only want to read/share stories that bolster their current opinions. So the stories will get crazier and crazier as time goes on. And I believe Facebook and others did have an effect on the elections. On both sides.
    And that's a huge problem, because both astroturfers and the clickbaiters after advertising bucks are more than happy to feed those people the stories they want to read and believe.

    Quote Originally Posted by BA93 View Post
    From a business standpoint, Facebook has a problem. They don't want to censor anyone but they also don't want to become a site that is only full of untrue political propaganda and kooky editorials masked as facts. But if Facebook allows people to mark a "Obama is a space alien" story as fake, then people will try to censor an NBC News story about a forest fire in retaliation.
    Figure this out, and Facebook would pay you handsomely. That's why they were putting together groups of people to try and filter that, because they were having problems doing it automatically. It's not helped by the news services resorting to click-bait article headlines.

    Facebook is at a bit of a crossroads, and a lot of people who produce content have found it a blessing and a curse. For some stuff I do, I've been able to use Facebook (and twitter) to help promote some stuff. On the one hand, I can spend a lot of time on an article or how-to, and promote through one of my Facebook pages/groups, and it's great. On the other hand, within a day or two somebody else will have scraped it, taken the title and re-worded a bit (perhaps made it clickbait worthy), and pushed it through Facebook/twitter. I have to spend time policing that stuff, and it's frustrating. It's also frustrating for Facebook, etc.

    And the more people use ad-blockers, the worse it could get, as the clickbait companies do all kinds of dodgy $#@! to get around them.

  • #136
    asshat crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn Shaggy Silver Club crimsonlonghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bevo Bevo Land
    Posts
    6,264
    SIAP


  • #137
    asshat G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? G650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Pie in the Sky
    Posts
    3,501
    Quote Originally Posted by crimsonlonghorn View Post
    SIAP

    That's funny

  • #138
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    Is Fortune a "fake news" site?

    Because there are absolutely no facts to back up this claim.





    http://fortune.com/2016/11/16/twitter-ban-alt-right/

    They play coy by breaking the text up into two separate sections but the implication is clear. They are trying to say that Milo was banned because of racist tweets. There is no mention of the fact that Milo never tweeted anything racist. All he did was criticize her movie.

    This is "reporting" designed to mislead.

    However, this has zero persuasive effect. All they will do is preach to the choir. This will convince no one. All anyone has to do is a quick Google search to see this is a lie, which will lead to even further mistrust of the news.

    And they will make this mistake over and over and over again.

    They think they can publish untruth because Facebook and Twitter control their content. We'll see how long that lasts.
    Uh, not going to get into whether Twitter should have banned him but he called her "barely literate" and a "black dude" while tweeting out fake photoshopped tweets of Jones saying racist stuff. He did more than just criticize her movie.

  • #139
    asshat TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club TahoeHorn Shaggy Gold Club
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Hazel Green, AL
    Posts
    18,255

  • #140
    pesca-pescatarian TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder Shaggy Gold Club TKthunder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    3,434
    Quote Originally Posted by VYFanboy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of suppressing speech, even on a private platform (which is why we're all here, not some other site), but surely there's a way to improve the level of discourse, right? We're rapidly slipping into idiocracy.
    So, you need blacklab to start a shagbook and a sh-itter for all of us who don't like fb/twitter/hornfans style suppression?

    +rep to you

  • #141
    asshat BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club BA93 Shaggy Silver Club
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,779
    I don't see the fortune story openly criticizing the Milo guy. Seems like they post some facts and didn't he have his account suspended or banned? If he wasn't suspended or banned when this story was posted, he has a reason to be upset at the implication.

  • #142
    asshat ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    14,329
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie Finster View Post
    Uh, not going to get into whether Twitter should have banned him but he called her "barely literate" and a "black dude" while tweeting out fake photoshopped tweets of Jones saying racist stuff. He did more than just criticize her movie.
    I wasn't aware of this so I looked it up.

    He called her barely literate because she had a typo in one of her tweets. Is that racist? I see that all the time. He made fun of her because she made a typo. It's kind of petty but how is that racist? Because the person who made the typo is black?

    Leslie Jones does look like a dude. She's black. She looks like a dude. How is that racist? He offended her because she's ugly, not because she's black.

    What's racist now?

    Are we calling anything that hurts a black person's feelings "racist" now, whether or not it disparages their blackness? Because that certainly seems like the standard these days.

    Or rather, what label can you use to get the most people on your side regardless of any objective standard. I think that's the new standard of racism --> "If you can use the term 'racist' about something and get a whole bunch people on your side and upset, then it's racist."

    ....narcissism

  • #143
    asshat triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by G650 View Post
    Threads like this reinforce how I've gone from a Libertarian leaning Jeffersonian Repubilcan to a fan of Hamiltonian thought and Jason Brennan's book Against Democracy.

    I have massively underestimated how many people have such an abject lack of critical thinking skills.
    Don't know about Hamilton and Jefferson but I buffer myself as much as possible in the short term and in long term planning from the vicissitudes of gubmint. I stick to my path and don't lean on policy shifts for advantage or support that may not be there when you least expect it.

    Even the purveyors of Fake News are amazed at the mass deficit in critical thinking and keep cashing the checks.

  • #144
    asshat triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    1,182
    I'd add that Trump’s bitter complaints about the MSMedia and the intimidation media was subjected to at his rallies doesn’t seem to have been about actually wanting “fair” treatment by MSM at all. I strongly suspect it is more about completely delegitimizing the MSM as a source for anything and appealing to his populace to abandon it outright in favor of their own alt-ernate information stream.

  • #145
    asshat ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax Shaggy Silver Club ajax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    14,329
    Quote Originally Posted by triplehorn View Post
    I'd add that Trump’s bitter complaints about the MSMedia and the intimidation media was subjected to at his rallies doesn’t seem to have been about actually wanting “fair” treatment by MSM at all. I strongly suspect it is more about completely delegitimizing the MSM as a source for anything and appealing to his populace to abandon it outright in favor of their own alt-ernate information stream.
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

  • #146
    asshat clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn Shaggy Gold Club clear lake horn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Bucolic Wonderland
    Posts
    18,593
    Quote Originally Posted by The Missing Link View Post
    CNN and Fox are equal opposites. They put on a face of professionalism, but clearly cater to a certain audience. I would not say either is in the bag for anyone, they are just catering to their audience.

    MSNBC doesn't even try. It's a completely different animal.
    If you are funneling debate questions to the Democratic candidate, you're pretty much in the $#@!ing bag for them.

  • #147
    asshat triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club triplehorn Shaggy Bronze Club
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
    Going on... Steve Bannon is openly hostile to MSM. He wants to defeat it. Bannon speaks directly to this in video interviews linked on this forum.

    It really doesn't make a $#@! to Trump and Bannon what the MSM thinks because it's obvious Bannon has harnessed non-MSM information stream. I'm not using the words 'propaganda arm' to describe it but that's debatable. Viral Fake News through social media is the other arm.

  • #148
    The ones that have fake celebrity deaths should be sued into Bolivia.

  • #149
    Quote Originally Posted by triplehorn View Post
    Going on... Steve Bannon is openly hostile to MSM. He wants to defeat it. Bannon speaks directly to this in video interviews linked on this forum.

    It really doesn't make a $#@! to Trump and Bannon what the MSM thinks because it's obvious Bannon has harnessed non-MSM information stream. I'm not using the words 'propaganda arm' to describe it but that's debatable. Viral Fake News through social media is the other arm.
    That is a really good observation. The media has been able to undermine the mass communication plans of Republican presidents in the past by refusing to cover certain stories or initiatives. With Bannon's knowledge and network of media outlets, that will not be so easy to do this time around.

  • #150
    Yawner Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20 Shaggy Gold Club Rocko20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mahalo
    Posts
    43,683
    The media doesn't care about facts, facts don't pay the bills, money does

    And fake media on social websites will continue as long as people are dumb enough to keep clicking on them

  • + Reply to Thread
    Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts

     

     

    Home .. Advertise .. ShaggyShop .. PanchoChat
    Football .. OC .. Basketball .. Baseball .. Other Sports .. RC Didn't Offer .. Gamboool
    Varsity .. Hole in the Wall .. PCL .. Einstein's .. Nasty's .. GM Steakhouse .. NSAA .. Classics
    Bada Bing .. Bernard .. Nerdz .. Can you help me with this? .. Shagslist .. Cloak Room .. Bellmont