+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Should "Fake News" be surpressed on social media?

asshat TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer Shaggy Gold Club TheTexasHammer's Avatar
    I wear your granddads clothes. I look incredible.
    Question: "... undocumented citizens — and I call them citizens because they contribute to this country — are fearful of voting. So if I vote, will immigration know where I live? Will they come for my family and deport us?"
    Answer: "And there is not a situation where the voting rolls somehow are transferred over and people start investigating, et cetera. The sanctity of the vote is strictly confidential in terms of who you voted for."
    Why would he think people would worry about getting arrested for voting if their vote is legal? Please provide a different reasonable interpretation.
    Last edited by TheTexasHammer; 12-06-2016 at 05:01 PM.

asshat LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker's Avatar

asshat PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger Shaggy Gold Club PittsburghTiger's Avatar
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-med...rection-232228

Media Matters to pivot away from focus on Fox News, as it names new president

By HADAS GOLD 12/06/16 06:01 AM EST

Liberal media-watchdog organization Media Matters is naming a new president and taking its coverage in a new direction, with less emphasis on cable news and more focus on fake news and other "bad actors."

Angelo Carusone, currently the organization's executive vice president, will take over as president. The group, known for taking on what they argue is misinformation in conservative media, particularly on Fox News, will enter a “new era,” focusing on the likes of Breitbart, the “alt-right”, conspiracy theories and fake news.

"There was a period of time which we were, rightfully so, described as the ‘Fox antagonist's,” said Carusone, who also acted as Deputy CEO of the Democratic National Convention. “Now, our mission is to be principally focused on the value of journalism.”

Carusone, who in the past has led efforts against the likes of Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, said Fox is no longer the “gate keeper” it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by PittsburghTiger View Post
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-med...rection-232228

Media Matters to pivot away from focus on Fox News, as it names new president

By HADAS GOLD 12/06/16 06:01 AM EST

Liberal media-watchdog organization Media Matters is naming a new president and taking its coverage in a new direction, with less emphasis on cable news and more focus on fake news and other "bad actors."

Angelo Carusone, currently the organization's executive vice president, will take over as president. The group, known for taking on what they argue is misinformation in conservative media, particularly on Fox News, will enter a “new era,” focusing on the likes of Breitbart, the “alt-right”, conspiracy theories and fake news.

"There was a period of time which we were, rightfully so, described as the ‘Fox antagonist's,” said Carusone, who also acted as Deputy CEO of the Democratic National Convention. “Now, our mission is to be principally focused on the value of journalism.”

Carusone, who in the past has led efforts against the likes of Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh, said Fox is no longer the “gate keeper” it used to be.
    Media Matters has been one of the most egregious publishers of "Fake News" on Earth over the last 8 years.

As far as Fox not being the gatekeeper they used to be, there have pretty consistently over the last 20 years been plenty of conservative leaning websites that promote and distribute conservative news. There have also been plenty of websites that publish Fake News, of both the conservative and the liberal varieties (certainly including Media Matters).

What Media Matters appears to have observed is that there are many gates and that at least on the conservative side, there is not a centralized ringleader, the way there is on the left with the New York Times. I can only imagine the very concept of this rather strange arrangement (in their eyes) is rather confusing to them.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 12-07-2016 at 11:42 AM.

Probably the biggest problem is our inherent confirmation bias. When a claim supports us in what we already believe, we are far less inclined to view it with a critical eye. And it's more than being uncritical. We don't just accept it, we celebrate it. We love seeing things that confirm what we already believe, that validate our feelings, especially our feelings about our political opponents. Things that confirm what we've known in our hearts all along - WE are the good guys, THEY are the bad guys. WE are on the side of truth and justice, THEY are on the side of lies and oppression.

Without naming names, I think it's fair to say that this is on full display in the Cloak Room. Some of us (and all of us to some degree) just love to run in here with a nice juicy headline that validates the way WE see things, to wave it triumphantly in the faces of those who are forever trying to deny the most obvious truths of the universe, to pass it around amongst our teammates and bask together in the warm glow of validation. So what if we maybe didn't read the entire article? So what if the author displays some faulty logic, makes claims without offering evidence, ignores crucial and readily available facts, or just outright lies? We don't have time to check every little thing. The larger point stands, probably. And really, even if it turns out to be false this time, what does it say about our opponents that it ever seemed plausible in the first place? Seriously. I've seen that argument made in the CR multiple times.

That feeling of validation, victory, superiority? That has become the product. That is the purpose of "news stories" now. People actively seek out sources that will provide them with that feeling as often as possible, so they can keep their facebook feed or their favorite college sports internet yelling hole stocked with a never-ending stream of headlines that scream I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG. And if that's the business model for "news" providers going forward, that's gonna be a really big societal problem. To quote Katherine Dunn, "The truth is always an insult or a joke. Lies are generally tastier. We love them. The nature of lies is to please. Truth has no concern for anyone's comfort." That's why there is practically no place for truth in what is rapidly becoming the dominant paradigm for creation and consumption of "news." The mainstream media as we've known it has always been flawed, of course. But where we're headed is going to be a hell of a lot worse, and I don't think there's any turning back.
    Last edited by Thermos H Christ; 12-07-2016 at 03:11 PM.

asshat FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn's Avatar
    I mean, really, why are they such pansies?
    Here's my guess. A right-winger turns on his favorite television show and has his favorite character tell him his favorite candidate is demonic. He turns on the news and hears "journalists" edit out stories of Democrat malfeasance while emphasizing Republican corruption. He goes to the movies and has his political beliefs insulted and derided. His favorite singer hates him. His professor excoriates him. His employer would fire him if he knew what he thought.

It makes you tough. It makes you smart. It makes you educate yourself as to why you believe what you believe and what the arguments for and against it are.

A leftist? He floats in a candy-cane cloud of self-congratulating self-reinforcement. Hollywood, the news media, academia, they all tell him: "You're smart. You're good. You're right. You're nice. You're going to win the election. Anyone can see that. How could you lose? Anyone who disagrees with you is bad, stupid, mean, wicked."

No wonder these people whine and cry when things don't go their way. Spending their days in a pink haze of bias, how could they ever have seen it coming?

Ace of Spades

asshat Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim's Avatar
    Only a coward laments over a past unlived.
    Quote Originally Posted by FCHorn View Post
    Here's my guess. A right-winger turns on his favorite television show and has his favorite character tell him his favorite candidate is demonic. He turns on the news and hears "journalists" edit out stories of Democrat malfeasance while emphasizing Republican corruption. He goes to the movies and has his political beliefs insulted and derided. His favorite singer hates him. His professor excoriates him. His employer would fire him if he knew what he thought.

It makes you tough. It makes you smart. It makes you educate yourself as to why you believe what you believe and what the arguments for and against it are.

A leftist? He floats in a candy-cane cloud of self-congratulating self-reinforcement. Hollywood, the news media, academia, they all tell him: "You're smart. You're good. You're right. You're nice. You're going to win the election. Anyone can see that. How could you lose? Anyone who disagrees with you is bad, stupid, mean, wicked."

No wonder these people whine and cry when things don't go their way. Spending their days in a pink haze of bias, how could they ever have seen it coming?

Ace of Spades
    This is one of the best posts I've ever read on this board. Somebody please rep this man for me until I can spread it around

asshat LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? LoneStarBiker's Avatar

Ace of Spades
    You would have thought the election would have served up a nice humble pie to some of the intellegensia around here, but no they gonna double down on being smug elitist pricks still thinking they know what's best for everyone. Ha!

asshat bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova's Avatar

Ace of Spades
    Obviously I don't think the left-right monoliths exist in real life, but let me ask you this. Obviously, I'm pretty well understood on this board to be pretty liberal and a Democrat. I've got a long posting history. I'm pretty out of step with my party on some pretty big things, but at the end of the day I don't run from the labels.

Let's say, by way of example, that you posted a link to a story and it was false. And not only was it a hoax, but I had personal, direct knowledge that it was a hoax, and said so and posted a story about the hoax.

Would the fact that I'm not a right-winger and that the story validated your worldview make you less likely to admit it was false? And what has more credibility? My word as somebody you have invested time in interacting with, a media story with an accurate account of events, or neither?

No wonder these people whine and cry when things don't go their way.
    ...he wrote, mere seconds after writing the following:

A right-winger turns on his favorite television show and has his favorite character tell him his favorite candidate is demonic. He turns on the news and hears "journalists" edit out stories of Democrat malfeasance while emphasizing Republican corruption. He goes to the movies and has his political beliefs insulted and derided. His favorite singer hates him. His professor excoriates him.

asshat FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn Definitely Shaggy upper class FCHorn's Avatar
    That was an op Ed on Ace of Spades...I'm just reposting it...just found it interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Thermos H Christ View Post
    ...he wrote, mere seconds after writing the following:
    He's not whining...he's simply pointing out obvious observations in the Left World

asshat Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign's Avatar

It makes you tough. It makes you smart. It makes you educate yourself as to why you believe what you believe and what the arguments for and against it are

This must be why so many of my right-leaning friends keep retweeting/reposting Congressman Steven Smith's tweets, because these friends are so smart and tough nd educated. I've long since given up on correcting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Under a Bad Sign View Post
    This must be why so many of my right-leaning friends keep retweeting/reposting Congressman Steven Smith's tweets, because these friends are so smart and tough nd educated. I've long since given up on correcting them.
    Because only those stupid rednecks post on twitter hardy har har Aw shucks...keep losing elections..

asshat Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore Probably Shaggy upper class Foosters Galore's Avatar
    Wait, FCHorn is on here lecturing people why others crying and whining?

The man who has spent the better part of 8 years whining, moaning, and complaining about the left, the MSM, liberals, and Teddy Kennedy over the course of 90,000 posts?

Since the election, he's spent most of his time gloating, talking $#@!, and chastising the left for being sore losers.

I'm actually impressed by the lack of self awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by bozo_casanova View Post
    Obviously I don't think the left-right monoliths exist in real life, but let me ask you this. Obviously, I'm pretty well understood on this board to be pretty liberal and a Democrat. I've got a long posting history. I'm pretty out of step with my party on some pretty big things, but at the end of the day I don't run from the labels.

Let's say, by way of example, that you posted a link to a story and it was false. And not only was it a hoax, but I had personal, direct knowledge that it was a hoax, and said so and posted a story about the hoax.

Would the fact that I'm not a right-winger and that the story validated your worldview make you less likely to admit it was false? And what has more credibility? My word as somebody you have invested time in interacting with, a media story with an accurate account of events, or neither?
    I wouldn't post a hoax...but your theory cuts both ways...and it's cut your way for the past 60 years with the MSM pushing agendas for the Dem Party...colluding with campaigns, debate questions in advance, specific questions for R candidates and that's the tip of the iceberg...and I'm sure you were partial to believing some of the Dem defense of those things because you trust CNN and the NYT...until Wikileaks exposed them horrifically

But for an example on my side take PizzaGate...do you see me on that thread? No...I don't what's true and I'm waiting for facts and actual cop involvement and investigations

I wouldn't post a hoax...but your theory cuts both ways...and it's cut your way for the past 60 years with the MSM pushing agendas for the Dem Party...colluding with campaigns, debate questions in advance, specific questions for R candidates and that's the tip of the iceberg...and I'm sure you were partial to believing some of the Dem defense of those things because you trust CNN and the NYT...until Wikileaks exposed them horrifically

But for an example on my side take PizzaGate...do you see me on that thread? No...I don't what's true and I'm waiting for facts and actual cop involvement and investigations

Quote Originally Posted by Foosters Galore View Post

The man who has spent the better part of 8 years whining, moaning, and complaining about the left, the MSM, liberals, and Teddy Kennedy over the course of 90,000 posts?

Since the election, he's spent most of his time gloating, talking $#@!, and chastising the left for being sore losers.

I'm actually impressed by the lack of self awareness.
    Wait until the next 4 years!

And for a lawyer you have poor reading comprehension...it's a repost of an article as I stated...but typical whiny lib comes to attack that...you don't sound very brilliant

asshat Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign Shaggy Gold Club Horn Under a Bad Sign's Avatar
    Because only those stupid rednecks post on twitter hardy har har Aw shucks...keep losing elections..

As a Libertarian, I intend to do exactly that.

asshat bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova Probably Shaggy upper class bozo_casanova's Avatar
    I think you forget that I was an ABC Democrat, so you'd be wrong.

But enough about me- lets say you did but Into a hoax. It doesn't have to be pizzagate.

Can you answer my question?

I think you forget that I was an ABC Democrat, so you'd be wrong.

But enough about me- lets say you did but Into a hoax. It doesn't have to be pizzagate.

Can you answer my question?
    I did...I tend toward facts..not where someone leans

But we are human and both have been misled at one time or another...duh
    Last edited by FCHorn; 12-07-2016 at 08:51 PM.

asshat maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack's Avatar

asshat maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack Shaggy Platinum maninblack's Avatar

Air Force Veteran Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
    Yeah he kind of did

Wow, no wonder Trump got elected after him.

Washington Post Appends "Russian Propaganda Fake News" Story, Admits It May Be Fake

In the latest example why the "mainstream media" is facing a historic crisis of confidence among its readership, facing unprecedented blowback following Craig Timberg November 24 Washington Post story "Russian propaganda effort helped spread ‘fake news’ during election, experts say", on Wednesday a lengthy editor's note appeared on top of the original article in which the editor not only distances the WaPo from the "experts" quoted in the original article whose "work" served as the basis for the entire article (and which became the most read WaPo story the day it was published) but also admits the Post could not "vouch for the validity of PropOrNot's finding regarding any individual media outlet", in effect admitting the entire story may have been, drumroll "fake news" and conceding the Bezos-owned publication may have engaged in defamation by smearing numerous websites - Zero Hedge included - with patently false and unsubstantiated allegations.

It was the closest the Washington Post would come to formally retracting the story, which has now been thoroughly discredited not only by outside commentators, but by its own editor.

The apended note in question:

Editor’s Note: The Washington Post on Nov. 24 published a story on the work of four sets of researchers who have examined what they say are Russian propaganda efforts to undermine American democracy and interests. One of them was PropOrNot, a group that insists on public anonymity, which issued a report identifying more than 200 websites that, in its view, wittingly or unwittingly published or echoed Russian propaganda. A number of those sites have objected to being included on PropOrNot’s list, and some of the sites, as well as others not on the list, have publicly challenged the group’s methodology and conclusions. The Post, which did not name any of the sites, does not itself vouch for the validity of PropOrNot’s findings regarding any individual media outlet, nor did the article purport to do so. Since publication of The Post’s story, PropOrNot has removed some sites from its list.
    As The Washingtonian notes, the implicit concession follows intense and rising criticism of the article over the past two weeks. It was “rife with obviously reckless and unproven allegations,” Intercept reporters Glenn Greenwald and Ben Norton wrote, noting that PropOrNot, one of the groups whose research was cited in Timberg’s piece, “anonymous cowards.” One of the sites PropOrNot cited as Russian-influenced was the Drudge Report.

The piece’s description of some sharers of bogus news as “useful idiots” could “theoretically include anyone on any social-media platform who shares news based on a click-bait headline,” Mathew Ingram wrote for Fortune.

But the biggest issue was PropOrNot itself. As Adrian Chen wrote for the New Yorker, its methods were themselves suspect, hinting at counter-Russian propaganda - ostensibly with Ukrainian origins - and verification of its work was nearly impossible. Chen wrote “the prospect of legitimate dissenting voices being labelled fake news or Russian propaganda by mysterious groups of ex-government employees, with the help of a national newspaper, is even scarier.”

Criticism culminated this week when the "Naked capitalism" blog threatened to sue the Washington Post, demanding a retraction.

Now, at least, the "national newspaper" has taken some responsibility, however the key question remains: by admitting it never vetted its primary source, whose biased and conflicted "work" smeared hundreds of websites, this one included, just how is the Washington Post any different from the "fake news" it has been deriding on a daily basis ever since its endorsed presidential candidate lost the elections?

The other one was 1991 when Iraqi soldiers were bayonetting babies in the hospital...I think some woman testified in front on congress on that one

And I remember how NPR had a segment about how the Iraqi War 2 would hurt Iraqi artists

Denzel Washington blasts media for selling 'BS'http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know...for-selling-bs

He was at the center of a fake news story, but Denzel Washington says it's the mainstream media that's selling "BS."

"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you do read it, you're misinformed," Washington, the star and director behind the new film "Fences," told ITK at the Wednesday premiere inside the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

"Fences," based on an award-winning play of the same name, also features Viola Davis and centers on the life of a black family in 1950s Pittsburgh. It is set to be released on Christmas.

Washington was the subject of a phony story earlier this year that falsely claimed he was switching his support of then-Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton to GOP White House hopeful Donald Trump.

One of the effects of "too much information," the 61-year-old Oscar winner says, is "the need to be first, not even to be true anymore."

"So what a responsibility you all have — to tell the truth," Washington exclaimed to the pack of reporters gathered on the red carpet.

"In our society, now it's just first — who cares, get it out there. We don't care who it hurts. We don't care who we destroy. We don't care if it's true," Washington continued.

"Just say it, sell it. Anything you practice you'll get good at — including BS."
    Last edited by maninblack; 12-07-2016 at 09:55 PM.

asshat Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim Shaggy Silver Club Fillmore Slim's Avatar
    Only a coward laments over a past unlived.
    Everything must get worse before it can get better. Or something like that.

But it's just Fox that lies...not the precious MSM

Dems are a having a coming to atheist moment

Quote Originally Posted by Foosters Galore View Post

+rep

asshat TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser Shaggy Platinum TheCruiser's Avatar
    If you get your news on social media. Or $#@!, if you're on social media. Go ahead and keep doing what you're doing. You're totally disengaged, disillusioned, and under the impression you're needed in our broader organization. I used to think this was a problem, but now I see it's another way we get to keep people who think they're smart away from the board table.

Both sides falling for social media news. Fox and MSNBC tripping over one another. Print papers falling by the wayside. If you're not getting your news from junior staffers tipsy from hosted bar chardonnay, you're getting bull$#@!.

This series of three actual Time Magazine covers, covers it:

Yet again, you really cannot make this stuff up. Except that Time Magazine actually did.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post

Yet again, you really cannot make this stuff up. Except that Time Magazine actually did.
    They should have really owned it and used an intact, no drip, Butter Trump for the person of the year cover.

Man in Black,

Your examples largely show the outlets cited demonstrating accountability. They made good faith errors and corrected them. In some cases, they apologize publicly. That separates the reputable established media from the fake news.

I like the Denzel quote about being uninformed or misinformed. The established media should be consumed with a critical mind. Oddly, I think that consumers of the established news media are more critical (as opposed to the "spoon-fed" meme) than people who buy fake newsstories wholesale and scorn the fools who lend more credit to established news media.

I think the mainstream media can be lazy and dumb and manipulated. Over time, they do try to get things right. Not so of the flashes of fake news.

asshat Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen Probably Shaggy upper class Biff Tannen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post

But he did meltdown. People just didn't care apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    He has them every day with his tweets...gold for Alec Baldwin

Top 10 ‘real’ news stories that turned out to be fake

My favorite is #10

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-out-be-fake/

1. If you like your health care plan, you can keep it
    In selling his health care overhaul, on at least 37 separate occasions, President Barack Obama pledged that Americans would be allowed to keep the plans they liked. In 2013, about 4 million Americans got cancellation letters, and PolitiFact labeled the statement the lie of the year. But that didn’t stop reporters from writing repeated stories beforehand on how great Obamacare would be, even though, the administration knew at the time they were making the statements, some health coverage would be lost.

2. Hands Up, Don’t Shoot
    “Hands up, don’t shoot” didn’t happen in Ferguson, Missouri, but that didn’t stop the narrative from spreading throughout the news media and in Black Lives Matter protests. Faulty witness accounts spread the rumor that Michael Brown had his hands raised in surrender, and mouthed the words “don’t shoot” before being shot by cop Darren Wilson.

A grand jury couldn’t confirm the narrative, and neither could the Department of Justice in its own investigation of the shooting. What was confirmed was that Brown fought with the officer and tried to take his gun. The popular “hands up” slogan couldn’t be corroborated by any ballistic evidence, reliable witness statements, or DNA samples. According to the DOJ report: “Although some witnesses state that Brown held his hands up at shoulder level with his palms facing outward for a brief moment, these same witnesses describe Brown then dropping his hands and ‘charging’ at Wilson.”

It was all a lie.

3. The Iran deal was negotiated with moderate Iranians, not the radical mullahs
    This was the narrative in the mainstream media while the deal was being made. It was not until an insightful New York Times Magazine piece did we see how the Obama administration snowballed the press with its lies. “All these newspapers used to have foreign bureaus,” Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes told The Times in May. “Now they don’t. They call us to explain to them what’s happening in Moscow and Cairo. Most of the outlets are reporting on world events from Washington. The average reporter we talk to is 27 years old, and their only reporting experience consists of being around political campaigns. That’s a sea change.

“They literally know nothing,” he said. That’s how Mr. Rhodes was able to shape the narrative that the U.S. was negotiating with moderate Iranians, not the hardliners. In The Times piece, Mr. Rhodes admits the administration wasn’t “betting on” moderates taking charge in Iran, but that he was just selling the deal to a gullible press in order to further his boss’s legacy.

4. Bowe Bergdahl exchange was hard-fought/negotiated
    In 2014, the Obama administration allowed five detainees at Guantanamo Bay to be transferred to Qatar in exchange for the release of Army Sgt Bowe Bergdahl, who was being held by the Taliban. The exchange was lauded by the press and at the Rose Garden, where President Obama held a ceremony saying Mr. Bergdahl was “never forgotten.”

“Sergeant Bergdahl has missed birthdays, and holidays and simple moments with family and friends which all of us take for granted. But while Bowe was gone, he was never forgotten” — not by his family or his hometown in Idaho or the military, Mr. Obama said. “And he wasn’t forgotten by his country, because the United States of America does not ever leave our men and women in uniform behind.”

It was later revealed Mr. Bergdahl deserted his unit, and that’s why he was captured by the Taliban. He’s been ordered to face a general court martial on two charges, which could impose a lifetime sentence. Mr. Bergdahl has requested a pardon from Mr. Obama.

5. Benghazi attack inspired by online viral video
    According to the Benghazi Report released this year by Congress, the Obama administration knew almost immediately after the attack on the American consulate it was one of terrorism, but were unwilling to admit it to the American public. The media was all too willing to swallow the administration’s weak lie the attack — which happened on Sept. 11 — was a spontaneous event spurred by protests of an online video that was offensive to the Prophet Muhammad.

6. Climate change will produce more storms like Hurricane Katrina

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the media and liberals like Al Gore were predicting more storms in our future because of the rapid pace of climate change. In 2006 CBS’s Hannah Storm predicted Katrina-like storms would happen “all along our Atlantic and Gulf coastlines,” and CBS anchor Russ Mitchell said there was “no end in sight” for big hurricanes a month after Katrina hit landfall. On Sept. 18, 2005, NBC Nightly News anchor John Seigenthaler said, “scientists studying the earth’s climate say we are experiencing stronger hurricanes in this century, a trend that’s likely to continue.”

Guess what? The U.S. hasn’t experienced a storm like Katrina since it hit more than a decade ago.

7. Cuba has great health care; murderous dictator Fidel Castro was good
    After the death of Fidel Castro this month, the mainstream media went out of its way to romanticize the leadership of the murderous dictator — saying although the country was communist, he was a great orator who inspired his people and healthcare and literacy improved under his watch.

“How Cubans Live as Long as Americans at a Tenth a Cost,” an Atlantic headline read on Nov. 29, four days after Mr. Castro’s death. “Lessons of physical prosperity in a despotic regime.”

The Los Angeles Times wrote in an opinion piece: “Fidel Castro, human rights violator that he was, did plenty of good for Cuba.”

Oh really? Mr. Castro oppressed his people for 59 years, torturing and killing an estimated 15,000 of his own citizens who opposed him. His reign was so idyllic, over an eighth of the island’s population chose to go into exile, with about 700,000 coming into the U.S. prior to 1980.

8. Myth of the killer cop epidemic
    If you were to listen to the Black Lives Matter movement and it’s sympathizers in the media, you would think that white police officers were out targeting and killing black men at an unprecedented tick. Black Lives Matter, and all of its umbrella organizations, has claimed that every 28 hours a black man is killed by a police officer. The figure comes from an April 2013 report called “Operation Ghetto Storm,” by the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement. The report “is a window offering a cold, hard, and fact-based view into the thinking and practice of a government and society that will spare no cost to control the lives of Black people,” the preface reads.

The Washington Post’s fact-checker gave the claim four Pinocchios, saying the victims studied in the report were not all unarmed, and they were not all killed by the police. The group was including those who rushed and or ambushed police in their report as well as those killed by “police officers, security guards or vigilantes.” As you can imagine, the term vigilantes was loosely defined.

A Harvard study has also disproved Black Lives Matter’s notion that there’s racial bias in police shootings. The paper for the National Bureau of Economic Research, which examined thousands of incidents at 10 large police departments in California, Florida and Texas, concluded that police were no more likely to shoot non-whites than whites after factoring in extenuating circumstances.

9. Donald Trump’s adviser Steve Bannon is a white supremacist
    There is absolutely no evidence of this, but the mainstream media loves to splash the idea around — or at least infer that Mr. Bannon, because of his association with alt-right website Breitbart, is a white supremacist, racist, bigoted, xenophobe, etc.

“White nationalists see advocate in Steve Bannon who will hold Trump to his campaign promises,” a CNN headline read.

“Steve ‘Turn on the Hate’ Bannon in the White House,” The New York Times editorial board wrote.

The New York Daily News added fuel to the fire writing: “Here’s why white supremacist groups love Stephen Bannon.”

It’s all in an effort to smear the man who won Mr. Trump the White House, and therefore the president-elect himself.

10. Donald Trump can’t win the White House
    Mr. Trump’s campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said during a Harvard University panel last week that the mainstream media’s narrative saying Mr. Trump could never get the 270 electoral college votes he needed to win the White House was the biggest fake news of them all.

And she was right.

Going into Nov. 8, here’s a sampling of the mainstream media’s headlines — heck, Newsweek thought Hillary Clinton had it such in the bag they printed out copies of their magazine ahead of time with the title: “Madam President.”

NBC: “On eve of election day, Clinton maintains her lead over Trump”

Washington Post: “Hillary Clinton has enough electoral votes to win the White House in final Fix map”

New York Times: “Inside Donald Trump’s Last Stand: An Anxious Nominee Seeks Assurance”

CNN: “CNN’s Poll of Polls show Clinton leading Trump by a 4-point margin”
    Last edited by LoneStarBiker; 12-08-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Here we go. Hillary Clinton is now blaming her loss on "Fake News".

Clinton blasts 'epidemic' of fake news

Hillary Clinton on Thursday decried the spread of fake news online, calling it an “epidemic” that Congress should take action against. “The epidemic of malicious fake news and false propaganda that flooded social media over the past year — it’s now clear the so-called fake news can have real-world consequences,” Clinton said during a speech on Capitol Hill.

Some Democrats have argued the spread of anti-Clinton fake news online contributed to her electoral loss to Donald Trump. The issue has received renewed attention this week after a gunman entered a pizzeria in Washington that was at the center of a false viral conspiracy theory that alleged it was home to a pedophilia ring operated by Clinton and her inner circle.

“This isn’t about politics or partisanship,” Clinton continued during her speech Thursday at a ceremony honoring retiring Senate Minority Leader (D-Nev.).

“Lives are at risk — lives of ordinary people just trying to go about their days, to do their jobs, contribute to their communities. It’s a danger that must be addressed and addressed quickly,” she said.
    Of course her supporters have shifted the blame for her loss a number of times over the last month, with the explanations including the following:
    1. It was James Comey's fault
    2. It was Fox News and AM Radio
    3. It was misogyny, racism and bigotry
    4. It was the Russians
    5. It was the evil electoral college
    6. It was "Fake News" on social media
    7. There may be others as well

And now apparently "lives are at risk" and Congressional action is needed, according to her, and soon no doubt her sycophantic followers as well.

Want to know the real reasons why she lost (not in this order)?
    1. Only twice in the last 100 years has a party held the presidency for three straight terms. This was not ever very likely to be the third.
    2. Hillary Clinton is a pathological liar.
    3. Hillary Clinton is very possibly the most corrupt politician we have seen in our country during any of our lifetimes.
    4. Hillary Clinton has been under a number of criminal investigations, and based on the facts, she appeared to be receiving special treatment from a spectacularly corrupt Obama administration.
    5. Hillary Clinton sold her position as Secretary of State to some of the vilest regimes on the planet.
    6. Hillary Clinton gave aid and comfort to the enemies of our nation by putting national security secrets on her unsecured home server, effectively distributing that information to many if not most of them.
    7. The primary process for the Democrat's was clearly rigged in Hillary's favor.
    8. Her campaign strategy almost entirely relied on trying to disqualify Donald Trump, which was the strategy of a loser.
    9. Much of the country is economically in a state of near despair. This portion of the country both Hillary Clinton and the Democrat left apparently regard as "the deplorables".
    10. Much of the country has thoroughly rejected the Democrat left's "Political correctness" and "Identity Politics" agendas.
    11. She clearly has significant health problems which she tried to mislead the American people about.
    12. She clearly appeared to believe she was entitled to this position.
    13. She intimidated and bullied women who were the victims of rape and sexual assault at the hands of her husband.
    14. She took it for granted that she was going to win.
    15. She is just not a very likeable person.

Most of those reasons were due to her own failures and the few that weren't were because of the failures of the Democrat party.

The "Fake News" schtick is getting old, as anyone who is not a member of the Democrat left echo chamber can see that these people have no intention of restricting themselves to screening out only absolutely false stories in a truly impartial and non-partisan way. This is all about the Democrats working to establish the processes for trying to silence their political opponents on social media and eventually elsewhere. Even many supporters of the Democrat left know this, but just are not honest enough to say so.

In any case, it is not passing the smell test. Instead, maybe try taking responsibility for your own failures for a change. In fact, you cannot fix a problem before you first admit you have one.
    Last edited by Spartacus; 12-08-2016 at 07:28 PM.

You just triggered a lot of people here...see that's fake news they still believe and defend..and because we didn't believe then we are still asked to believe it and believe in all the new news stories the MSM trots out

That list perfectly encapsulates why HRC lost

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarBiker View Post

My favorite is #10

In selling his health care overhaul, on at least 37 separate occasions, President Barack Obama pledged that Americans would be allowed to keep the plans they liked. In 2013, about 4 million Americans got cancellation letters, and PolitiFact labeled the statement the lie of the year. But that didn’t stop reporters from writing repeated stories beforehand on how great Obamacare would be, even though, the administration knew at the time they were making the statements, some health coverage would be lost.

2. Hands Up, Don’t Shoot
    “Hands up, don’t shoot” didn’t happen in Ferguson, Missouri, but that didn’t stop the narrative from spreading throughout the news media and in Black Lives Matter protests. Faulty witness accounts spread the rumor that Michael Brown had his hands raised in surrender, and mouthed the words “don’t shoot” before being shot by cop Darren Wilson.

A grand jury couldn’t confirm the narrative, and neither could the Department of Justice in its own investigation of the shooting. What was confirmed was that Brown fought with the officer and tried to take his gun. The popular “hands up” slogan couldn’t be corroborated by any ballistic evidence, reliable witness statements, or DNA samples. According to the DOJ report: “Although some witnesses state that Brown held his hands up at shoulder level with his palms facing outward for a brief moment, these same witnesses describe Brown then dropping his hands and ‘charging’ at Wilson.”

It was all a lie.

This was the narrative in the mainstream media while the deal was being made. It was not until an insightful New York Times Magazine piece did we see how the Obama administration snowballed the press with its lies. “All these newspapers used to have foreign bureaus,” Deputy National Security Adviser Ben Rhodes told The Times in May. “Now they don’t. They call us to explain to them what’s happening in Moscow and Cairo. Most of the outlets are reporting on world events from Washington. The average reporter we talk to is 27 years old, and their only reporting experience consists of being around political campaigns. That’s a sea change.

“They literally know nothing,” he said. That’s how Mr. Rhodes was able to shape the narrative that the U.S. was negotiating with moderate Iranians, not the hardliners. In The Times piece, Mr. Rhodes admits the administration wasn’t “betting on” moderates taking charge in Iran, but that he was just selling the deal to a gullible press in order to further his boss’s legacy.

In 2014, the Obama administration allowed five detainees at Guantanamo Bay to be transferred to Qatar in exchange for the release of Army Sgt Bowe Bergdahl, who was being held by the Taliban. The exchange was lauded by the press and at the Rose Garden, where President Obama held a ceremony saying Mr. Bergdahl was “never forgotten.”

“Sergeant Bergdahl has missed birthdays, and holidays and simple moments with family and friends which all of us take for granted. But while Bowe was gone, he was never forgotten” — not by his family or his hometown in Idaho or the military, Mr. Obama said. “And he wasn’t forgotten by his country, because the United States of America does not ever leave our men and women in uniform behind.”

It was later revealed Mr. Bergdahl deserted his unit, and that’s why he was captured by the Taliban. He’s been ordered to face a general court martial on two charges, which could impose a lifetime sentence. Mr. Bergdahl has requested a pardon from Mr. Obama.

According to the Benghazi Report released this year by Congress, the Obama administration knew almost immediately after the attack on the American consulate it was one of terrorism, but were unwilling to admit it to the American public. The media was all too willing to swallow the administration’s weak lie the attack — which happened on Sept. 11 — was a spontaneous event spurred by protests of an online video that was offensive to the Prophet Muhammad.

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, the media and liberals like Al Gore were predicting more storms in our future because of the rapid pace of climate change. In 2006 CBS’s Hannah Storm predicted Katrina-like storms would happen “all along our Atlantic and Gulf coastlines,” and CBS anchor Russ Mitchell said there was “no end in sight” for big hurricanes a month after Katrina hit landfall. On Sept. 18, 2005, NBC Nightly News anchor John Seigenthaler said, “scientists studying the earth’s climate say we are experiencing stronger hurricanes in this century, a trend that’s likely to continue.”

Guess what? The U.S. hasn’t experienced a storm like Katrina since it hit more than a decade ago.

After the death of Fidel Castro this month, the mainstream media went out of its way to romanticize the leadership of the murderous dictator — saying although the country was communist, he was a great orator who inspired his people and healthcare and literacy improved under his watch.

“How Cubans Live as Long as Americans at a Tenth a Cost,” an Atlantic headline read on Nov. 29, four days after Mr. Castro’s death. “Lessons of physical prosperity in a despotic regime.”

The Los Angeles Times wrote in an opinion piece: “Fidel Castro, human rights violator that he was, did plenty of good for Cuba.”

Oh really? Mr. Castro oppressed his people for 59 years, torturing and killing an estimated 15,000 of his own citizens who opposed him. His reign was so idyllic, over an eighth of the island’s population chose to go into exile, with about 700,000 coming into the U.S. prior to 1980.

If you were to listen to the Black Lives Matter movement and it’s sympathizers in the media, you would think that white police officers were out targeting and killing black men at an unprecedented tick. Black Lives Matter, and all of its umbrella organizations, has claimed that every 28 hours a black man is killed by a police officer. The figure comes from an April 2013 report called “Operation Ghetto Storm,” by the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement. The report “is a window offering a cold, hard, and fact-based view into the thinking and practice of a government and society that will spare no cost to control the lives of Black people,” the preface reads.

The Washington Post’s fact-checker gave the claim four Pinocchios, saying the victims studied in the report were not all unarmed, and they were not all killed by the police. The group was including those who rushed and or ambushed police in their report as well as those killed by “police officers, security guards or vigilantes.” As you can imagine, the term vigilantes was loosely defined.

A Harvard study has also disproved Black Lives Matter’s notion that there’s racial bias in police shootings. The paper for the National Bureau of Economic Research, which examined thousands of incidents at 10 large police departments in California, Florida and Texas, concluded that police were no more likely to shoot non-whites than whites after factoring in extenuating circumstances.

There is absolutely no evidence of this, but the mainstream media loves to splash the idea around — or at least infer that Mr. Bannon, because of his association with alt-right website Breitbart, is a white supremacist, racist, bigoted, xenophobe, etc.

“White nationalists see advocate in Steve Bannon who will hold Trump to his campaign promises,” a CNN headline read.

“Steve ‘Turn on the Hate’ Bannon in the White House,” The New York Times editorial board wrote.

The New York Daily News added fuel to the fire writing: “Here’s why white supremacist groups love Stephen Bannon.”

It’s all in an effort to smear the man who won Mr. Trump the White House, and therefore the president-elect himself.

Mr. Trump’s campaign manager Kellyanne Conway said during a Harvard University panel last week that the mainstream media’s narrative saying Mr. Trump could never get the 270 electoral college votes he needed to win the White House was the biggest fake news of them all.

And she was right.

Going into Nov. 8, here’s a sampling of the mainstream media’s headlines — heck, Newsweek thought Hillary Clinton had it such in the bag they printed out copies of their magazine ahead of time with the title: “Madam President.”

Washington Post: “Hillary Clinton has enough electoral votes to win the White House in final Fix map”

New York Times: “Inside Donald Trump’s Last Stand: An Anxious Nominee Seeks Assurance”

You just triggered a lot of people here...see that's fake news they still believe and defend..and because we didn't believe then we are still asked to believe it and believe in all the new news stories the MSM trots out

That list perfectly encapsulates why HRC lost

Quote Originally Posted by LoneStarBiker View Post

My favorite is #10

2. Hands Up, Don’t Shoot

It was all a lie.

And she was right.

She's just worried about people connecting the dots between her and her husband's illegal activities

She's just worried about people connecting the dots between her and her husband's illegal activities
    I'm sure that's soon to follow as leaks and secrets start surfacing with the Clintons out of power...no more power of retribution and $$$ in talking

Air Force Veteran Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20 Probably Shaggy upper class Rocko20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Tannen View Post
    Yes he did meltdown, with the implication that his campaign was over... Which was the entire point of the magazine cover

Now he's president-elect and we can laugh at all the liberal media who got it wrong

asshat EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird Shaggy Silver Club EarlyBird's Avatar
    faking fakers who fake news
    A Clinton Fan Manufactured Fake News That MSNBC Personalities Spread to Discredit WikiLeaks Docs

Glenn Greenwald
    December 9 2016, 7:30 a.m.

The phrase “Fake News” has exploded in usage since the election, but the term is similar to other malleable political labels such as “terrorism” and “hate speech”; because the phrase lacks any clear definition, it is essentially useless except as an instrument of propaganda and censorship. ...

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/09/...ikileaks-docs/

just because you typed it doesnt make it true.

mib, have you read or read about Britain's Chilcot Report?

From the LRB:

‘The UK chose to join the invasion of Iraq before the peaceful options for disarmament had been exhausted. Military action at that time was not a last resort.’ The emphasis he put on ‘before’ and ‘not’ were an indication of what was to come. He continued:

The judgments about the severity of the threat posed by Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction – WMD – were presented with a certainty that was not justified.

Despite explicit warnings, the consequences of the invasion were underestimated. The planning and preparations for Iraq after Saddam Hussein were wholly inadequate.

The government failed to achieve its stated objectives.

‘Not justified’, ‘inadequate’, ‘failure’. Chilcot then turned to the timeline, the attacks of 11 September 2001 and the move by the US and the UK to a policy of regime change. In April 2002, at a meeting at George W. Bush’s ranch in Texas, Tony Blair ‘sought a partnership’ with Bush and argued for ‘an ultimatum calling on Iraq to permit the return of weapon inspectors or face the consequences’. In July Blair told the president: ‘I will be with you, whatever.’

What a $#@! show.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v38/n15/philipp...astrous-deceit

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast