+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Online coding schools

asshat branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder's Avatar
    I just discovered exercism.io, for anybody getting started. It's little to no instruction but total learning by solving problems. They've got problems for a ton of languages.

asshat branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder has a gigantic e-peen. branthebuilder's Avatar
    lmao...just did this exercise on converting numbers to roman numerals. It's late, I'm on call and I'm tired, but still no excuse for the totally $#@!ed up way I went about this. I made it work but it was like ramming a 2x4 down a 3" pipe. After I've done it I looked at some sample code online and it's ridiculously obvious how I should have done it. Anyway, for the lulz:
    Code:
    class Fixnum

def to_roman
      num = self
      numstring = num.to_s.split('').to_a.map(&:to_i).reverse!
      roman_numerals = ["I", "X", "C", "M"]
      refactor = Hash.new(0)
      answer = []
      counter = 0
      numstring.each do |i|
        refactor.merge!(roman_numerals[counter] => i)
        counter += 1
      end
      answer << "M"*refactor["M"]
      if refactor["C"] == 9
        answer << "CM"
      elsif refactor["C"].between?(5, 9)
        answer << "D"+"#{"C"*(refactor["C"]-5)}"
      elsif refactor["C"] == 4
        answer << "CD"
      else
        answer << "C"*refactor["C"]
      end
      if refactor["X"] == 9
        answer << "XC"
      elsif refactor["X"].between?(5, 9)
        answer << "L"+"#{"X"*(refactor["X"]-5)}"
      elsif refactor["X"] == 5
        answer << "L"
      elsif refactor["X"] == 4
        answer << "XL"
      else
        answer << "X"*refactor["X"]
      end
      if refactor["I"] == 9
        answer << "IX"
      elsif refactor["I"].between?(5, 9)
        answer << "V"+"#{"I"*(refactor["I"]-5)}"
      elsif refactor["I"] == 4
        answer << "IV"
      else
        answer << "I"*refactor["I"]
      end
      answer.join("")
      end
    end

asshat RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter Probably Shaggy upper class RDCanecutter's Avatar
    Throw in a line where if you try to use a zero, a guy smacks you with a cane and screams mockery in Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by RDCanecutter View Post
    Throw in a line where if you try to use a zero, a guy smacks you with a cane and screams mockery in Latin.
    I still can't understand why I didn't try to do it with math. Not sleeping makes me stupid. One of the many reasons being on call for busy hospitals is on my list of things to never do again.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderlounge View Post
    and the other is to show 5 different ways to construct a loop to gain a result
    if someone submits

Code:
    move.w #$10, d0
    loop: add.i #1, d1
    dbf d0, loop
    bra exit_loop
    do they get hired immediately?

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigXII View Post
    if someone submits

Code:
    move.w #$10, d0
    loop: add.i #1, d1
    dbf d0, loop
    bra exit_loop
    do they get hired immediately?

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

No.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

No.

Someone coding a loop in pure 68000 is demonstrating they know what the machine is doing down to the conditional code registers, you can't ask for better understanding than that in a competency exam :p

asshat thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge Shaggy Platinum thunderlounge's Avatar
    While true, the boss man has little room in the funny department. He grumpy sometimes.

While true, the boss man has little room in the funny department. He grumpy sometimes.
    I guess it comes down to the type of job. I work in low level graphics programming, I'm elated when a teammate shows any sort of EE knowledge, lol.

Yeah, it does. Don't get me wrong, we have a great team and we do enjoy working together. But the field we work in also has a no nonsense edge to it, as it should, that they like to see with new candidates. The interview sheet also specifies language, so that might be the buzz kill.

I laughed though, and I needed a good laugh.

carotid penile arteries GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT's Avatar
    Sounds like a miserable place to work imo. I'm serious as a heart attack when I have a lot of work to do, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to crack jokes and laugh throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU&UT View Post
    Sounds like a miserable place to work imo. I'm serious as a heart attack when I have a lot of work to do, but I'll be damned if I'm not going to crack jokes and laugh throughout the day.
    Oh sure we do. Just not for an interview. Gotta try to keep the noobs on the straight and narrow you know.

So I'm a little less than 25% through the ruby exercises on Exercism. It's been a lot slower than I expected (though I did lose a week travelling for Christmas), mostly because I do everything wrong for a few hours. Basically if the exercise says to take an 8' 2x4 through a doorway, instead of turning the board longways and carrying it through the door, I knock down a wall, carry the board over the rubble, and then rebuild the wall.
    I'm not in general this retarded when it comes to operating efficiently. Is this just part of the normal learning curve or is it indicative that I am inherently ill suited for this sort of thing?

Quote Originally Posted by branthebuilder View Post
    So I'm a little less than 25% through the ruby exercises on Exercism. It's been a lot slower than I expected (though I did lose a week travelling for Christmas), mostly because I do everything wrong for a few hours. Basically if the exercise says to take an 8' 2x4 through a doorway, instead of turning the board longways and carrying it through the door, I knock down a wall, carry the board over the rubble, and then rebuild the wall.
    I'm not in general this retarded when it comes to operating efficiently. Is this just part of the normal learning curve or is it indicative that I am inherently ill suited for this sort of thing?
    I feel I'm pretty good at boolean algebra in general, but even then it always takes me a while to get my footing when learning a new concept. Computer Programming is a lot like playing an instrument in that you really can't skip the practice between performances. It's part of the learning process. Doesn't matter if you're laurel and hardying your way through the construction, you'll eventually pick it up. Or not, who knows.

Just discovered this thread, I've been attempting to learn for almost 9 months now

I did an intro class at Austin Coding Academy and would not do it again. Glad I went and did, but there is just so much content available online for free plus being on your own schedule is much better. 3K for a 12 week part time class with maybe 20 minutes of direction and then an hour and a half of looking at a partner for a group assignment with neither person understanding was a bit depressing. 90% of the work you do was doing it on your own and googling and watching youtube videos for help. The knock on bootcamps and alot of classes is you'll go a mile wide but an inch deep.

Codecademy, FreeCodeCamp, and Udacity are all places I've been going to since for instruction and project ideas. At the moment I'm most comfortable with the Front end languages, but I feel like I would be into Data Analysis much more just based off how I'm wired so I'm making a conscious effort to start a dive into that.

/csb

Quote Originally Posted by Plain and Simple View Post
    Just discovered this thread, I've been attempting to learn for almost 9 months now

I did an intro class at Austin Coding Academy and would not do it again. Glad I went and did, but there is just so much content available online for free plus being on your own schedule is much better. 3K for a 12 week part time class with maybe 20 minutes of direction and then an hour and a half of looking at a partner for a group assignment with neither person understanding was a bit depressing. 90% of the work you do was doing it on your own and googling and watching youtube videos for help. The knock on bootcamps and alot of classes is you'll go a mile wide but an inch deep.

Codecademy, FreeCodeCamp, and Udacity are all places I've been going to since for instruction and project ideas. At the moment I'm most comfortable with the Front end languages, but I feel like I would be into Data Analysis much more just based off how I'm wired so I'm making a conscious effort to start a dive into that.

/csb
    I highly recommend exercism or the Euler project for help getting a thorough grasp of the basics of a particular language. Exercism has been great, actually. Good feedback from a couple experienced coders and it's cool to see the different approaches other people take to the same problem.

asshat NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum's Avatar
    It's a tough field to get into, and especially if you're already in a career.

Fresh out of school you're not going to make much. I've seen entry ranges from $30k-$40k, sometimes a little less. Experience is the key. You need experience, contacts/associates/references from that experience, and something to put onto your resume. As mentioned, open source projects are a great way to get your foot in the door. You'll have to get into their community, get to know people, and interact a ton. Make contributions and improvements, get to really know the project team, and effectively become their bitch. Fix their little bugs, minuscule issues/requests, whatever. Be Johnny on the spot. If your work and effort are good enough, they may invite you onto the team.

Spread your time across a few projects at the same time in that manner. If they're "competing" products then use different screen names and avatars on their boards. I won't lie, it takes a lot of time to go that route. However, you can not only build some good experience, but make some great friends along the way as well. Those friends turn into references and will help get your foot in the door somewhere.

While involved in those communities you'll find people coming in and looking for recommendations on somewhere to get a project done. Once you're comfortable you can dip your toes in that water if you like. More bullets to the resume, more references generated. Provided you don't $#@! $#@! up of course.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that if you're in an established career then you're not going to just take a short course and enter the field. It's going to take several years to learn and build your resume and portfolio. At that point you won't be in the jr category, but you won't be in the sr category either. At least you won't starve, so that's a plus.

Coding isn't going to make you rich in 99% of cases. There are rare exceptions of course, but overall you have better chances of hitting the lottery. It can, once you're properly experienced, keep you quite comfortable in life.
    great advice. + rep.

asshat NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum Shaggy Silver Club NEZ_bum's Avatar
    @branthebuilder:

i read this article today

https://medium.com/javascript-scene/...ef0#.ege28frit

and thought about your discussion.

i don't agree with everything mentioned in the article. however, i've been blessed with plenty of great
    professional opportunities after taking a similar path described by eric.
    this is a simple recipe for learning how to code;

* Just start coding
    * Find a great mentor
    * Find a bootcamp
    * Online learning
    * Meetups
    * Blogs, books, etc…

the most important things imho are to "just start coding" and use "blogs, books, etc" to
    get your mind working. find a cool website/webapp (ex: linkedin's email dashboard, kickstarter's stuff)
    and try to build it on your own. you'll find yourself going down several paths to build it.
    along the way, you'll have to make decisions about architecture, dev/deployment environments (ubuntu, mac book,
    node.js, heroku, aws, github pages,...) languages, and approach. guess what? these are
    real-life dev things you'll have to do as a professional coder. the sooner you begin thinking this way,
    the better. pick something to build...and just start coding.

i would invest in a mix of professional reference materials and hit up twitter + dev blogs.
    it will help you understand what dev communities recommend for various approaches. hell, i got an
    oreilly safari account for $200/year. i can access all oreilly (+ third-party vendor) books and videos
    without having to hunt for "read me"s, tutorials, etc. professional dev resources cut
    to the chase. they help you get $#@! done with quality author recommendations + approaches.
    i also hit up a tutorial series on udemy from time to time. their vids are informative.

of course, you shouldn't leave out blogs, github project repos + gists, and stuff that
    devs chat about on twitter. use code from quality open source projects with strong
    communities. it will help you get up to speed faster. for example, let's say you want to use
    webpack for a FE build tool. you should read the docs + starter guides.
    https://webpack.js.org/guides/
    and guess what? you will get stuck. i guarantee it. why? because it's open source;
    $#@! changes all the time. but the community (which includes you since you are trying
    to use their code) will be around to help. all you have to do is click on that hot pink button
    on the fixed right-side nav to chat with knowledgeable devs. read issues others
    have encountered THEN ask your questions to get help. plan to get involved in this type
    of structure because coding is very social.

remember: companies only care about stuff you can build, along with proven development
    experience that demonstrates your ability to thrive within deadlines and fast-paced teams.
    it also helps if you can abstract things out to solve problems rather than getting caught
    in the weeds.

Nice article, thanks.

I've made a couple contacts within exercism and helped fix one of their exercises in which the tests were not testing for what the prompt asked. I've got a couple little projects up like a simple responsive resume site on github and a twitter clone on heroku made from the Rails Tutorial by Michael Hartl (then modified a little to see if I could). I decided to take a break from jumping into projects like the twitter clone though because while I can follow directions and troubleshoot when things don't work, I wasn't really learning how to program things. I'm going to keep working through exercism with ruby and then look for more practical projects to get into.

carotid penile arteries GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT Shaggy Gold Club GSU&UT's Avatar
    Completely recommend trying to network as much as possible through meetup.com. That is how I was able to get my foot in the door and eventually turned that into a junior programmer position.

Thanks for the suggestion. Going to a HackerNest event next week. A ton of the events seem to be seminars put on by these coding boot camps trawling for students.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2