+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2016 Film Reviews: Bye Bye Edition

2016 Film Reviews: Bye Bye Edition

May as well combine Kansas and TCU to get this over.

KANSAS

DEFENSE

I don't know why this play made the Big 12's highlights, but I haven't found the full game anywhere so this is what we have.

link

I've never seen Texas run this zone blitz before, but I'm extremely confident that Wheeler and McCulloch were not meant to rush the same gap. If Wheeler goes through the A gap, he likely recognizes that the back is preparing to catch the ball and stops the play dead. Just kidding. But he might discourage the pitch. I also strongly suspect that Elliott's instructions included getting his eyes back to the quarterback and not blindly chasing the receiver downfield. Boyd should not have been the first player to make contact with the ballcarrier.

Another reminder that I didn't pick the highlights.

link

My suspicion, again, is that Strong didn't design this blitz with three guys coming off the edge. Roach or Wheeler (I drew it up as Wheeler, but on closer inspection it was probably Roach) was supposed to squeeze inside the left tackle, aka the B gap. Guess where the ball went. The other linebackers, Hager and McCulloch, calmly wait for the blockers to come to them. The result is even more space to run through. I spent way more time than necessary last week watching WVU because it was so cool to see good linebacker play. This isn't it.

This was Kansas' only offensive touchdown.

link

It's very hard to get stops in short-yardage situations without penetration. A couple of guys get it, but then you have true freshman DT De'Andre Christmas. He tries to read and react instead of fighting through the blocks to create disruption. That isn't going to cut it.

Here's the two-point conversion.

link

Pretty obvious what went wrong here. Haines recognized what Kansas was trying to do but lacked the athleticism to defend it. His first priority was to NOT lose the edge; his second priority was to force a throw or make the tackle. In his effort to accomplish priority two, he failed at priority one.

OFFENSE

This is as simple as it gets.

link

The weakside linebacker has the unenviable task of taking away the quick throw to the slot receiver while also filling the B gap in the event of a run play. So Texas called both plays at once — inside zone with a hitch route. The linebacker can't be right, but the safety can still make the tackle and minimize the gain. This was not Fish Smithson's finest hour.

We can fit the other two Texas touchdowns in one gif.

link

First play: Bluiett and D'Onta did good things. Hodges and Rodriguez did bad things. The good was enough to overcome the bad. No doubt Texas missed McMillon and Shackelford, but in a game like this, it shouldn't matter because you're playing Kansas.

Second play: Split zone. The defensive line is pinching, which helped Hodges mash the end down inside. Kansas has a sophomore, backup linebacker in, and he goes the wrong way. You can't make mistakes like that against Foreman at the one-yard line.

I'm still pretty sure Buechele had a concussion in this game. He made his worst decisions of the year in this game.

link

Texas runs the same route concept to both sides: basically a slant/flat. Kansas is in man coverage, and the hope is a defender will get rubbed. If the quarterback targets the wrong receiver, though, then it's as if the receiver got rubbed. This doesn't excuse it, but in Buechele's defense, Hodges was beaten so badly that he couldn't have gotten the ball to Oliver even if he'd tried.

Finally, the play that did Texas in.

link

Buechele wanted to go to Beck on the out route, but between the linebacker and cornerback, it's bracketed. The coverage was well-disguised so I can't fault a true freshman for that. Also, the route was really bad, and it would have resulted in an interception if the ball had been thrown. Duvernay will eventually be open behind the linebackers, but the pressure is a problem, as is the fact the defense is able to disrupt his route and slow him down. So after the incorrect pre-snap read, Buechele did a lot of things right — didn't throw a bad pass, eluded the pressure, extended the play and found an open man — but his throw sailed.

I don't think Buechele should have been in the game at all after his injury. And it's not a hot take to say there was no excuse for Foreman having 52 touches. They needed to work Porter in earlier in the game — two carries is inexcusable; two carries late in the second quarter and then nothing is even worse. Potential concussions and extreme fatigue lead to mistakes like bad throws and fumbles. It's on the players, but they shouldn't have been put in those positions in the first place. And that is on the coaches.

TCU

OFFENSE

I expected the offense to struggle, but I thought they'd at least score a touchdown. Turns out, they did.

link

This is, I believe, the same play Texas started running a couple weeks ago. Every time they motioned Leonard into the formation, they did this. There was never a constraint play, no tricks or frills. Having a freshman QB in no way prohibits them from running a play-action pass from this set.

Anyway, the penetration from both edges makes things a lot more difficult. D'Onta did a nice job avoiding it and diving for the end zone, and then falling over it. Take that "can't see his knee" crap somewhere else; if you have a basic understanding of human anatomy, you can tell his knee wasn't down. Who knows how those seven six points (let's not assume anything) would have affected the outcome. Probably not at all, but that's why the games are played.

Check out this run by D'Onta.

link

The play, Counter H, should be familiar. Vahe, the pulling guard, wants to kick out the end man on the line of scrimmage (EMLOS). The EMLOS wants to squeeze inside the kick-out block and spill the ball to the outside. Vahe won. That meant the two TCU defenders going outside to clean up the spill are now in the wrong spot. Foreman reads it well and is off to the races.

Here's something to look forward to for at least the next two years.

link

I'm really not sure why Texas didn't run this inside fade with Duvernay more often. TCU is in Cover 1, with a safety on Duvernay. It doesn't help him that he's running up to take away the quick throws and has to reverse field, but he wasn't going to keep up with Duvernay anyway. The offensive line gives Buechele a rare clean pocket and he puts it right on the money.

I'm not 100% certain Buechele will be the guy long-term (more like 60%), but it's important to remember that (1) he was a true freshman; (2) he was banged up for much of the season; and (3) his playcaller didn't do him many favors. The fact that every route and throw is predictable has little to do with Buechele. He kept his composure all year and never shied away from pressure, even when he was getting his rips cracked by it. Those are things you can't teach.

DEFENSE

I still don't know if DeShon got playing time because Hall was hurt or because he just passed him on the depth chart, but he gave us some cause for optimism.

link

TCU has a good route concept for the coverage (Cover 2), but Kenny Hill stared down the receiver the whole way. He should have never thrown this ball. I'm excited about getting to face Mr. Trill one more time next year.

Here's how not to play press coverage.

link

The goal here for the defender is to stay square with the receiver as long as possible and match his release. Instead, Boyd lunges at the receiver at the snap and immediately gives him a release. Press coverage is won by the DB's feet, not his hands. All the athleticism in the world can't cover for that.

I'm not sure Texas wasn't lined up wrong or confused about assignments on every other TCU touchdown.

link

Notice that Hughes and Freeman are moving around at the snap — Freeman because he's blitzing, but Hughes seems to have just realized he's in the wrong spot. It's just inside zone read, but Texas has no one to take away the quarterback. My guess would be that Haines was supposed to be out there, but it's just a guess. Watching the rest of the game would probably reveal more, but who wants to do that?

link

I can't figure out how Texas could have stopped this play from this alignment and with this zone blitz on. They're outnumbered at the point of attack. The only thing I can think is if Malik had come flat down the line instead of bowing out like he was responsible for the bootleg (he isn't; Locke is), but even that is a hell of a thing to ask a player to do. Basically, the outcome of this play was inevitable as soon as the teams lined up.

link

Here again, Texas loses the edge. The defensive end, Cottrell, can't let the ball get outside of him, because the only three defenders over there are focused solely on their receivers.

link

Texas had Malik spying the quarterback for much of this game, but that doesn't work when he gets blocked. Texas is playing 2-Man, and I bet Malik and Hager are combo'ing the running back — if he releases to Malik's side, Malik covers him and Hager spies Hill, and vice versa. So when the back goes to the right, I assume Hager should have assumed the responsibility of spying Hill, which he can't do if he shuffles outside like he did.

Be thankful we don't have to watch Haines miss open-field tackles like this anymore. And the final part that's frustrating is that two guys had a chance to push Hill out of bounds and didn't. That is purely, 100%, an effort play. This is what you highlight when you say, "If you wanted to keep your coach, play like it."

asshat vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? vtaenz's Avatar
    Thanks for all you do. I guess our next look will be the spring game.

Thanks for all! Would love to see breakdown of tosu/uh offense we might come to see in 17.

asshat El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? El Hornarino's Avatar
    Regarding Buechele, the Kansas game, or the latter part of the season at large I think the "(1) he was a true freshman; (2) he was banged up for much of the season; and (3) his playcaller didn't do him many favors" is a good explanation. I think he has been hearing footsteps for a while now given that he has taken a season of hits due to mediocre pass protection and some self pressures. It doesn't help that he has to know there was in fact no backup on the roster apparently. I don't think you necessarily need concussions to explain Kansas, unless I just missed a joke.

As far the defense, I hope the new staff is able to teach something basic like not abandoning gaps to jam together into a different one. Has there been any game in the past two years where this didn't happen?

asshat Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? Wally Banger might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge?
    Any chance we get some breakdown of Houston's offense during the offseason?

• + Reply to Thread