+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2017 Texas Volleyball - "Kick the Son of a Bitch In"

2017 Texas Volleyball - "Kick the Son of a Bitch In"

"Last year we knocked on the door. This year we beat on it. Next year we're going to kick the son of a bitch in!" - Bum Phillips

According to people on volleytalk who follow Chiaka on twitter, she's tweeted after the final words to the effect that this is not over it's just beginning. Her twitter profile still has UT17 in it. If she comes back it's gravy but I really think those who say she's not are just spreading rumors.

Next year the Final Four is in Kansas City. I expect our preconference to be a trip to San Diego, a trip to Wisconsin and a trip to Gainesville to play Florida and Oregon.

asshat js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum
    No joke, a 5-1 with:

RS Ebony
    OH Lexi/Micaya
    MB Morgan/Chiaka(Yazzie)
    S Shook
    L McCoy
    DS Rounsaville

I think I just came.

Do you think we also do a return trip to aggy?

asshat perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007's Avatar
    I hope we get something definitive from Chiaka before August. You either IN or you OUT. But let the coaches know in advance.

asshat js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum js Shaggy Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by perfectchaos007 View Post
    I hope we get something definitive from Chiaka before August. You either IN or you OUT. But let the coaches know in advance.
    At least if she is a late scratch, we just re-insert Yazzie. No scrambling (assuming no surprising transfers at the MB position).

asshat torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club

Per today's AAS:

Texas also should be boosted by the return of middle blocker Chiaka Ogbogu, who was sidelined by academic issues this season. Ogbogu will rejoin the Longhorns in January, and the three-time All-American will offset some of the depth problems that Texas dealt with during her absence.

Weve got the pieces next year to be extremely special, Elliott said. The areas of weakness that we had should be fixed. I think our backcourt could be even better, and I think our blocking could be significantly better. Its my job to create the chemistry and unity to make that happen. Because on paper, its going to be one of our best teams.

http://www.hookem.com/story/jerritt-...emely-special/

Yes, Chiaka has to reapply to UT and she's doing that for the spring semester is what I've been told. Once the spring matches roll around we'll know if she's going to be back or not.

Yes I think we'll be playing a match at Aggie as well.

asshat kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6 Shaggy Silver Club kingkoopa6's Avatar
    San Diego!???? Yoooooo!!! I'm $#@!in in!!

Tentative Big 12 schedule:

9/23 @ WVU
    9/30 KState
    10/7 @ TCU
    10/11 @ Kansas
    10/14 Iowa State
    10/18 @ Tech
    10/21 @ OU
    11/4 TCU
    11/11 @ ISU
    11/15 Kansas
    11/22 OU
    11/25 @ Baylor

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArtic...B_OEM_ID=10410

Some of our matches are missing - Baylor and WVU

Quote Originally Posted by tempesthorn View Post
    Yes, Chiaka has to reapply to UT and she's doing that for the spring semester is what I've been told. Once the spring matches roll around we'll know if she's going to be back or not.

Yes I think we'll be playing a match at Aggie as well.
    So she actually left school then?

This makes it sound more like it was a conduct issue more than an academic one, which makes sense with some reports that she was 'academically eligible' but had some 'issues'

If her GPA was so bad, how could she bring it up while being out of school?

I know nothing about the situation and don't want to make false assumptions as this issue is sensitive, but this case sounds almost like the case of Beatrice Capra
    http://tenniskalamazoo.blogspot.com/...ra-on-her.html
    (Number one player at Duke, solid GPA, All Academic ACC team, dismissed not only from the team but also the university, came back to Duke, and just graduated this year)

Well, there was an allusion here and there to a, shall we say, academic integrity issue. Perhaps that explains it.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    So she actually left school then?
    She didn't so much leave school as she was dismissed. What I know is 3rd hand so don't take it as gospel. I was getting sick of the $#@! on volleytalk implying she wouldn't be back because she hadn't attended any games. She was not in school this past semester and likely not in Austin to attend games. From my understanding the link Aleemay posted is a pretty similar situation to what happened with Chiaka. She has to reapply and the University has to accept her back, she also would have forfeited her scholarship since she wasn't in school. Not sure what that means on whether she'll go back on scholarship or have to play as a walk-on.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    remind when the full schedule is typically released?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCruiser View Post
    remind when the full schedule is typically released?
    There is no such thing as typical with the release of the volleyball schedule. It's all over the map. I think LHN and their time announcements makes it worse for our schedule release. In years past it has been as early as end of April but last year it was June. Be on the look out starting in May and just be prepared it may not get released until June again. You can get a good idea about our schedule as other schools release theirs starting in April. Schools to check out - San Diego, Wisconsin, Florida and Texas A&M. These are the likely the four locations we'll be going to in the non-conference and possibly Miami. I'd expect us to host a tournament in Austin rather than do a trip to Miami though.

Big news - Stanford's John Dunning retires.

asshat perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007 Shaggy Bronze Club perfectchaos007's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Big news - Stanford's John Dunning retires.

Wow. Well he gets to ride off in the sunset

Wow. Well he gets to ride off in the sunset
    Damn it. Ugh. Fine, let's just win it all in 17

Ebs just tweeted a pic of her, Mirta, Chiaka and Cat.

Ebbssss ‎@ebbs_nwanebu

We're back! #Seniors @MirtaBaselovic @cchiakaa11 @catmccoy9
    9:39 AM - 18 Jan 2017

asshat spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class

It's nice to know Chiaka is officially back on the squad. The MB position should now be a strength this upcoming season.

Freshmen Brionne Butler and Olivia Zelon are also in for the Spring semester.

It would've been nice to have setter Ashley Shook coming in early as well but at least Riley Fisbeck will have some experience setting all the hitters if Shook struggles in the Fall.

I still think Jerritt starts the season off in a 6-2 system to get more players court time and to keep everyone happy, but when Big 12 conference matches start, he needs to put the best players on the court in a 5-1.

Here's to hoping for an injury-free Spring/Summer off-season with 0% attrition....and of course, better passing and ball control!!

asshat DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K is a rep whore. DesertDog2K's Avatar
    From Lauren Beard's Instagram today:

"Yesterday I said goodbye to the sport that has been a part of me for most of my life, but I am so excited for this next chapter of my life and to see where it takes me. Thank you to my Texas Volleyball family for supporting me in this decision, I love you all! Hook 'em Horns!"

With Chiaka back is this the best roster we've ever had at Texas?

From a talent perspective, I think the case can certainly be made.

The next question is who is the odd man out in the middle? Chiaka, Johnson, Yaz, Orie and Butler. I guess you could move Yaz back outside with Sun, White and Ebony. But there might not be much playing time there either. Good problem to have either way.

A player I'm really interested to see this year is Rounsaville. She showed massive improvement at the end of the year as a FR. Texas actually might be decent from a passing perspective next year with Rounsaville and an experienced McCoy.

The only thing that potentially scares me about next year's roster is having a true freshman setter. But this team will be absolutely loaded next year.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some attrition. We just have too much talent in the middle, someone will likely transfer.
    Last edited by TexasStrong12; 01-19-2017 at 01:30 AM.

Based on last year, don't see how Orie gets playing time without massive improvement. I think with Yaz you can move her around. Her versatility is a huge asset in getting her playing time.

One of Butler or Orie needs to RS

With this roster we need depth at every position. The last two years we've had no depth at the outside/pins. The example of how that can bite you in the ass is when one of your pins is shutdown/struggling like Paulina in the Championship you can't just sub someone else in. You have to do a revamp of your lineup like we did in the 3rd set.

Rousanville got better last year because she had Hahn pushing her for playing time. We are loaded at MB but Butler &/or Orie need to be pushing Morgan. Yaazie needs to be pushing Micaya, Sun and Ebony. I am worried about setter and how things are going to work out for that position. It's going to be a shame if all this hitting talent goes to waste because we can't get them the ball.

I think Shook is all that she is advertised. Surround a highly touted freshman setter with seriously talented and experienced hitters (Ebony, Yazzie, Chiaka, Morgan, Micaya) and an experienced backrow (Rounsaville and McCoy) and she can QB your team to the Final Four.
    Last edited by js; 01-19-2017 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I think Shook is all that she is advertised. Surround a highly touted freshman setter with seriously talented and experienced hitters (Ebony, Yazzie, Chiaka, Morgan, Micaya) and an experienced backrow (Rounsaville and McCoy) and she can QB your team to the Final Four.
    $#@! the Final Four....I want a National Championship!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasDPT View Post
    $#@! the Final Four....I want a National Championship!
    Have you seen this talent we have on campus?

We should and could win at least 1 (maybe 2) in the next 4 years. Legit talent at every spot (and it keeps coming).

Chiaka is for sure back.

• + Reply to Thread