+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A book a week in 2017

A book a week in 2017

Will try to read a book a week in 2017.

Anybody else have goals?

It's good to have goals, some say.

I don't think War and Peace will be one of those books but I will give Black Lamb and Grey Falcon a try.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    Thanks for the inspiration. I was looking back this year and while I probably read more white papers and journals this year than in all other years combined, I think I read maybe 3 books that weren't for my daughter.

I think maybe 2-3 books a month is realistic for me, after I finally tackle DFW's "The Pale King."

I didn't even read the 2 or 3 books of the authors I interviewed this year. For shame. You're right, though I've gotta make reading a goal again like any other goal (weight loss, finance, etc.). Even things like pages/week need to be codified and measured.

Savant THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone probably preboards planes THujone's Avatar
    I won't read a book a week, but I've stopped bringing my iPhone to bed with me and guess what? I read a $#@!load now. Jesus how we let these things control us.

Just finished "The Heart of Everything That Is" about the Sioux war chief Red Cloud. $#@!ing awesome book. Now I'm reading Empire of the Summer Moon about Quanah Parker. Those are some $#@!ing books. I'm on a being Native American history kick. I already read "Blood and Thunder" and if you haven't read that, you need too.
    Last edited by THujone; 12-29-2016 at 04:28 PM.

asshat Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer probably preboards planes Walden Ponderer's Avatar
    That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
    I haven't thought much about a long term goal like "what am I going to do for the whole year" but I have decided that in the next month I'm going to finally read the two most recent of Thomas Cahill's "Hinges of History" books:
    * "Heretics and Heroes: Ego in the Renaissance and the Reformation"
    * "Mysteries of the Middle Ages: The Rise of Feminism, Science, and Art from the Cults of Catholic Europe"

He's the guy who did "How the Irish Saved Civilization" and I am therefore optimistic about quality.

I've been book shopping today and come to PCL for a few recos. I used to read a book every two weeks when I lived in nyc. I've become lazy but just finished up two books that I've been slow to finish. Ill go 12 this year. since my next two are 500 and 800 respectively. Thanks for the motivation.

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THujone View Post
    I won't read a book a week, but I've stopped bringing my iPhone to bed with me and guess what? I read a $#@!load now. Jesus how we let these things control us.

Just finished "The Heart of Everything That Is" about the Sioux war chief Red Cloud. $#@!ing awesome book. Now I'm reading Empire of the Summer Moon about Quanah Parker. Those are some $#@!ing books. I'm on a being Native American history kick. I already read "Blood and Thunder" and if you haven't read that, you need too.

I wrote this in a journal after reading Empire of the Summer Moon and on a native American kick:

How do you remain violent in modernity?

It has dawned on me that it is likely a relatively new phenomenon that an able bodied man in the prime of his life does not use violence for basic sustenance in food and shelter, doesn't use violence to promote himself in sexual selection, celebrate in violence when the conqueror and has evolved away from teaching the ways of severe violence to his children whether it be against animals or other men.

At top of mind (from reading the aforementioned book on Comanches), just as far back as 150 years ago, if you are a native Texan, your grandfather's father was likely savagely killing other men, impaling, torturing and likely enjoying it a little bit too. It was either that or his kids were being stolen, his wife was being gang-raped and he was being killed and tortured with his testicles in his mouth or burned to death on a skewer. Respectable men and not just trained militia and military -- preachers, lawyers, sheriffs, teachers, land owning gentry-- were hardened in the ways of killing fellow man.

Men that could be fit (and later were as in Andrew Jackson's case who lived the rest of his life with lead in his body from a duel he survived) to be a President of the United States used violence as an acceptable tool in their problem solving kit of life.

Sixty years ago we had a massive World War that sped boys through the threshold to manhood in warp speed and provided a built in rite of passage. These boys and later men were in general shown to be wise, judicious, smart, strong, responsible and reasonable people. The greatest Americans to ever live, as we so dub them with the "Greatest Generation" moniker, was nurtured by violence.

If we treat that last statement as one devoid of irony then it must be held as evidence, the exhibit A (or B or C), that violence as a psychological or character trait is endemic to the success, "goodness", and glory of the American people.

And yet, today and in the recent past, we have attempted to "evolve" away from it. Outside of the USMC on the front line or whatever and the dispassionate poor mired in poverty (a modern day "Noble Savage" in the J.F.Cooper archetype) and/or South Chicagoans, there is a conspicuous lack of violence both in our culture and everyday lives as we hold keeping peace as the higher and more noble ideal in much the same way we view humility as being superior to pride.

The question then is: Is the lack of violence a good thing? On an intuitive level we would knee-jerk a response "Yes", but I think the more important question is: What are the social costs?

To you personally: What do you do to keep refined your sense and ability to impart violence in a modern world?

Do you watch or participate in physical sports like football, boxing and MMA type training?

Do you get drunk and high and shoot semi-automatic guns with your buffoon friends and kill animals?

Do you shoulder check people at baseball games or otherwise get in bar fights?

Do you get online and call people $#@!ets and virtually talk $#@!/e-fight?

I, for one, need to focus on being a better American by way of being a better man, I think. Excuse me while I have a glass:

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...I-mDTdeKR8</a>

asshat CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack Shaggy Gold Club CutTheCrackJack's Avatar
    I definitely need to read more, I got out of the routine last year and only read a handful of books. I hope to read more this year and at least clear my queue (my writing desk has a stack of like 10 books I've bought and not read)

asshat zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87's Avatar
    Jumping on this as well. Not looking to do a book a week but minimum a book a month

Who wants to volunteer to run and administer the official shaggy book of the month internet club?

I read just yesterday that book clubs are making a comeback, after all...

Jumping on this as well. Not looking to do a book a week but minimum a book a month
    Dirty magazines don't count as books bro.

asshat zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87's Avatar
    They count as half. I only look at the pictures anyway

Look up short stories/novellas instead...that way there's a little more time to ponder the effect/affect of the book

asshat Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club
    I had a goal of 25 books this year and didn't hit it. I think I'm going to go with a page count in 2017 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by CutTheCrackJack View Post
    Who wants to volunteer to run and administer the official shaggy book of the month internet club?

Don't know about all that but would be happy to just post the book of the week/month that I am reading and give a short opinion on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Castyourhops View Post
    Don't know about all that but would be happy to just post the book of the week/month that I am reading and give a short opinion on it.
    That works too!

asshat Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen Shaggy Silver Club Hefeweizen's Avatar

I probably won't run a club, but I averaged a book a week last year and plan to do the same this year.

Problem is a lot of the books last year were mitch Rapp, Jack reacharound, and Gabriel all on. I am kind of done with the assassin genre this year.

Going to finish Ulysses, reread Churchill s history of the English speaking peoples, and spend more time on hard science fiction.

asshat DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DemosZTV's Avatar
    Actually did this in 2015 (53 books on the year; audiobooks helped).

Only read about 30 in 2016, so hoping to get back up to 50 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Hefeweizen View Post
    I probably won't run a club, but I averaged a book a week last year and plan to do the same this year.

Problem is a lot of the books last year were mitch Rapp, Jack reacharound, and Gabriel all on. I am kind of done with the assassin genre this year.

Going to finish Ulysses, reread Churchill s history of the English speaking peoples, and spend more time on hard science fiction.
    I'll read Ulysses with you.

asshat MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm probably preboards planes MrPhlegm's Avatar
    I wrote this in a journal after reading Empire of the Summer Moon and on a native American kick:

How do you remain violent in modernity?

It has dawned on me that it is likely a relatively new phenomenon that an able bodied man in the prime of his life does not use violence for basic sustenance in food and shelter, doesn't use violence to promote himself in sexual selection, celebrate in violence when the conqueror and has evolved away from teaching the ways of severe violence to his children whether it be against animals or other men.

At top of mind (from reading the aforementioned book on Comanches), just as far back as 150 years ago, if you are a native Texan, your grandfather's father was likely savagely killing other men, impaling, torturing and likely enjoying it a little bit too. It was either that or his kids were being stolen, his wife was being gang-raped and he was being killed and tortured with his testicles in his mouth or burned to death on a skewer. Respectable men and not just trained militia and military -- preachers, lawyers, sheriffs, teachers, land owning gentry-- were hardened in the ways of killing fellow man.

Men that could be fit (and later were as in Andrew Jackson's case who lived the rest of his life with lead in his body from a duel he survived) to be a President of the United States used violence as an acceptable tool in their problem solving kit of life.

Sixty years ago we had a massive World War that sped boys through the threshold to manhood in warp speed and provided a built in rite of passage. These boys and later men were in general shown to be wise, judicious, smart, strong, responsible and reasonable people. The greatest Americans to ever live, as we so dub them with the "Greatest Generation" moniker, was nurtured by violence.

If we treat that last statement as one devoid of irony then it must be held as evidence, the exhibit A (or B or C), that violence as a psychological or character trait is endemic to the success, "goodness", and glory of the American people.

And yet, today and in the recent past, we have attempted to "evolve" away from it. Outside of the USMC on the front line or whatever and the dispassionate poor mired in poverty (a modern day "Noble Savage" in the J.F.Cooper archetype) and/or South Chicagoans, there is a conspicuous lack of violence both in our culture and everyday lives as we hold keeping peace as the higher and more noble ideal in much the same way we view humility as being superior to pride.

The question then is: Is the lack of violence a good thing? On an intuitive level we would knee-jerk a response "Yes", but I think the more important question is: What are the social costs?

To you personally: What do you do to keep refined your sense and ability to impart violence in a modern world?

Do you watch or participate in physical sports like football, boxing and MMA type training?

Do you get drunk and high and shoot semi-automatic guns with your buffoon friends and kill animals?

Do you shoulder check people at baseball games or otherwise get in bar fights?

Do you get online and call people $#@!ets and virtually talk $#@!/e-fight?

I, for one, need to focus on being a better American by way of being a better man, I think. Excuse me while I have a glass:

http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...I-mDTdeKR8</a>
    Ok, read that post.

Thats one book read.

I finished up a couple close to year-end so they don't technically count for 2017 but I'll include anyway.

1. 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne I read this as a kid and while it's still good it's a bit dated, imo. At one time this was cutting edge science fiction stuff but now it's old hat. The characters and character development was lacking. We get it - Ned Land wants to leave the Nautilus. High point? Verne refers to Nebraska as a "disagreeable territory".

2. Dept. of Speculation by Jenny Offill More of a chick book. On many "best books" lists for 2014. Very fast read. I had a difficult time relating to the protagonist b/c I found her to be: whining; if not mentally ill then at least pretty neurotic; possibly a drug addict. The book is essentially about her sturm und drang of being/wanting to be a writer, but she just comes across as a whiny unfit mother and bad wife. She doesn't deserve the guy who married her. $#@! her - she deserved everything she got. I like to relate more to the characters in books. Empathy is more fun than writing them off as undeserving $#@! bags, and one of the miracles of literature is getting one to empathize with other people, fictional or otherwise. But it's a well-written book and like I mentioned, a very fast read. The NYT review calls the protagonist "complicated". Bull$#@!: she's whiny, immature, spoiled, and a basket case. I'm sure she would be the topic of many posts in the "stupid things my wife did" thread if she were married to a shaggy poster.

3. Cod by Mark Kurlansky A very good general interest non-fiction book about, you guessed it, cod. (He's also written a book on salt, and salt plays a big role in this book as well). I find Kurlansky to be similar to Bill Bryson, though not as humorous. By that I mean he tells a good story and populates his writing with many interesting diversions and factoids. It's like a mini history lesson. While the book was well worth reading it was a bit of a downer, environmentally speaking. His slant wasn't of the liberal ecological variety but man is pretty much damaging the planet. The book was written in the mid to late 1990s, so maybe fishing and ocean fish stocks have improved since then. I hope so. I highly recommend this.

Please don't read a book a week

I've been on Amazon and Half Priced books this morning. I've acquired 6 of my 12. Ill add some easy reading cops, murder mysteries. Thanks for the motivation.

The Emperor of All Maladies
    Altruism
    Dissident Gardens
    The Last Mile
    Ready Player One
    In a Dark, Dark Wood

asshat kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun Shaggy Gold Club kevwun's Avatar
    I think it's a bad idea to limit yourself to books you can read in a week.

asshat TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser Probably Shaggy upper class TheCruiser's Avatar
    Good point, but I think we were speaking more of averages.

$#@!, I'm happy with 2-3/month and even that'll burn out soon enough (I'll be happy to getting back to 20/year). I also never got "summer reading." I mean, yeah I get not taking 400 page hardbacks to the pool. But how does that immediately revert to $#@!ty fiction? There aren't good reads available in paperback anymore? Last I checked, Amazon built an empire on that fact.

And I'm just gonna throw this out there-these are all lofty goals but I'm already de-motivated by castyourhops reading a book about Cod.

bunghole NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. NIUHuskies's Avatar
    I read 56 books this past year. Yeah, I know I am a nerd.. You have to make time to do it. I ride public transportation so that helps. I can do it if the books are not the same topic. I know that a 400 page tome will eat most of a month. So give me a peice of fiction to follow it up. Last year, I read everything from Empire of the Summer Moon to John Grisham.

Aiming for 2 books a month.

Current reading list
    A gay place
    One minute to midnight
    The sellout
    Waterloo
    The cultural revolution
    Who says elephant can't dance
    Leading quietly
    A sport and a past time

asshat Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club Continental Op Shaggy Gold Club
    Just finished Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

Shteyngart (Absurdistan) presents another profane and dizzying satire, a dystopic vision of the future as convincing—and, in its way, as frightening—as Cormac McCarthy's The Road. It's also a pointedly old-fashioned May-December love story, complete with references to Chekhov and Tolstoy. Mired in protracted adolescence, middle-aged Lenny Abramov is obsessed with living forever (he works for an Indefinite Life Extension company), his books (an anachronism of this indeterminate future), and Eunice Park, a 20-something Korean-American. Eunice, though reluctant and often cruel, finds in Lenny a loving but needy fellow soul and a refuge from her overbearing immigrant parents. Narrating in alternate chapters—Lenny through old-fashioned diary entries, Eunice through her online correspondence—the pair reveal a funhouse-mirror version of contemporary America: terminally indebted to China, controlled by the singular Bipartisan Party (Big Brother as played by a cartoon otter in a cowboy hat), and consumed by the superficial. Shteyngart's earnestly struggling characters—along with a flurry of running gags—keep the nightmare tour of tomorrow grounded.
    Worth a read. Next up: Either Death In Venice and Other Stories or The Moviegoer.

Quote Originally Posted by Continental Op View Post
    Just finished Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart.

Worth a read. Next up: Either Death In Venice and Other Stories or The Moviegoer.
    I've heard good things about SSTLS. Will have to check it out. Thanks.

Just got done with Persian Fire by Tom Holland. I started his translation of The Histories (Herodotus) and this book is basically a sub-set of that: Darius and Xerxes going after the Greeks. Marathon, Thermopylae, the naval battle. Or you could just watch the two 300 movies. It's a good read about that era and that part of the world. The Iranians really had their $#@! together for a time when they were under Cyrus/Darius/Xerxes.

bunghole CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. CDAK's Avatar
    As of today, this year I've read:

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford. The beginning and the end are good. The middle drags. The author seems overly excited to compare everything to Europe. I guess that makes some sense if the majority of his readers are Westerners, but it felt forced at times. In addition, the comparisons were always advantageous to the Mongolian Empire. I think that's part and parcel of spending years researching something, however (i.e., that something becomes superior to others simply because you're so close to it). I'd recommend only if you have a prior interest in Genghis Khan.

Shoe Dog by Phil Knight. I really enjoyed this book. It's a quick read and I had almost zero knowledge of the creation of Nike going in. I'd recommend it.

The Gods of War by Conn Iggulden. I'm a giant fan of Iggulden and loved this book. It's #4 in a series about Julius Caesar so you need to read the first three before reading this one. I don't know whether I like the Caesar or Khan series better. They are both awesome and Iggulden is great if you enjoy historical fiction about famous conquerors.

Shoe Dog was really cool, I agree.

asshat DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? DFWBear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by THujone View Post
    Almost the exact same. I was an off and on reader, then last year my doctor told me to not pick up any computer / phone after like 8:30 or 9:00 and I started reading a $#@!load again.

• + Reply to Thread