+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Body Transformation Thread (aka- If I don't lose weight it's gonna kill me)

I've never been overweight, so I can't tell you much about losing weight. But I have maintained the same weight, shape and fitness level since college, so I know a lot about maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The main thing is consistency in diet and exercise. Don't work out so hard that you hurt yourself and can't exercise; and don't go on such an extreme diet that you can't maintain it. A consistent B minus in diet and exercise is better than bouncing between A plus and F.

Also, it's proven that willpower is similar to a muscle. If you try and change a bunch of habits all at once, you're almost guaranteed to fail. But like a muscle, the more you exercise willpower the stronger it gets. I'd start with reducing/eliminating processed foods and some light exercise, such as walking daily and going to the gym a couple of times a week. Figure out what works for you and build your healthy habits from there.

As far as your diet goes, whatever works for you works for you. I think most legit diets advocate eliminating processed foods, refined carbs and added sugar. I try and maintain a balanced diet and eat as much whole foods as possible. For exercise, whatever you enjoy doing and keeps you injury free is good. I bounce between high intensity interval training, yoga, cycling, swimming and going to the gym.

Most importantly, look at the next few months as building a foundation for the rest of your life. Don't worry about results. Establish healthy habits. Find what works for you. The worst things you can do is set unrealistic expectations and burn yourself out, or put all your effort into meeting your goals and then fall off as soon as those goals have been met.

asshat lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? lonestar3's Avatar
    Let me reiterate what's been said here a number of times: diet is the absolute key here. It's the one that's going to unlock everything to do with your success.

It doesn't necessarily have to be keto, but the ridiculous increase in energy levels that you get once your body gets used to chicken and broccoli instead of that grease burger for lunch is unreal. Few hours later you're feeling energized instead of laggy and you find yourself being okay with jogging the block or going and lifting weights.

It's night and day. I could 100% say the same thing about TRT. As a 33 y/o I had levels close to 187 which is pretty unreal. Making the jump to TRT changed my world almost instantly, so it's worth checking out if you haven't already.

asshat zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87 Shaggy Gold Club zepol87's Avatar
    Yep diet is key but I'm still fairly young so I eat like $#@! and drink a lot.

asshat 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? 0xdeadbeef's Avatar
    I feel the pain of this thread. I've been overweight for most of the past decade. Now I'm on a Blood Pressure medicine. I've found there is a direct correlation between how well my BP meds work and my weight. The more I weigh, the less it works. Add to that my doctor wants me to start a cholesterol medicine if I still need it when I go back in in March. Loose weight or take progressively more medication. It's time to deal with it.

50 years old. 5'9 213

It doesn't feel like I'm massively overweight, but my bmi is in the obese range. I'm obese? That's sounds bad when I think of it like that.

About 2 weeks ago I really gave it some though as to what has made me stay overweight for the past decade...I came to the simple conclusion that I really like to eat. It doesn't have to be gourmet food, I'm not a foodie, I just like quantity. Volumes and volumes of food. Sigh, but it has to end.

What I came up with, for me, was 3 simple rules.

My Magic Rules:
    1. No Fast Food
    2. No overeating at meal time
    3. Snacks must be fruit, vegetables, or popcorn

If I follow them, I seem to lose weight quickly. I do mix in a little exercise, but for me the problem is really the volume of food going in.
    Last edited by 0xdeadbeef; 12-31-2016 at 04:41 PM.

asshat Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by destroya View Post
    I've never been overweight, so I can't tell you much about losing weight. But I have maintained the same weight, shape and fitness level since college, so I know a lot about maintaining a healthy lifestyle. The main thing is consistency in diet and exercise. Don't work out so hard that you hurt yourself and can't exercise; and don't go on such an extreme diet that you can't maintain it. A consistent B minus in diet and exercise is better than bouncing between A plus and F.

Also, it's proven that willpower is similar to a muscle. If you try and change a bunch of habits all at once, you're almost guaranteed to fail. But like a muscle, the more you exercise willpower the stronger it gets. I'd start with reducing/eliminating processed foods and some light exercise, such as walking daily and going to the gym a couple of times a week. Figure out what works for you and build your healthy habits from there.

As far as your diet goes, whatever works for you works for you. I think most legit diets advocate eliminating processed foods, refined carbs and added sugar. I try and maintain a balanced diet and eat as much whole foods as possible. For exercise, whatever you enjoy doing and keeps you injury free is good. I bounce between high intensity interval training, yoga, cycling, swimming and going to the gym.

Most importantly, look at the next few months as building a foundation for the rest of your life. Don't worry about results. Establish healthy habits. Find what works for you. The worst things you can do is set unrealistic expectations and burn yourself out, or put all your effort into meeting your goals and then fall off as soon as those goals have been met.
    All of this; especially the consistency and "build a foundation" part. Took me 6 months to get my habits right.

asshat BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong Probably Shaggy upper class BearSchlong's Avatar
    You're right about that. I had to do it one day at a time in the beginning. April 17, 2015 was my moment of clarity date - the day I left my old life behind. I'm not planning on ever going back to the old ways. And when I do have a "cheat" meal, I always pay the consequences. I had a pizza yesterday at grotto and was miserable all afternoon and evening - my body revolts because it's not used to that much wheat anymore. I could only eat about half of it. A few years ago, I would have scarfed the whole thing down without a second thought.

It's been years since I've had indigestion. I used to live on prilosec and tums and Zantac and peptide and all that stuff.

Some of the books I've read that really helped me were Keto Clarity, Wheat Belly, and Salt, Sugar, Fat.

I lost about 50 lbs, went from a 42 to a 33 pants size. Now I'm adding lean muscle so back up to about 195, I'm 5-11.

It's going to take years for all the changes that I want to occur.

Some of us have strong feelings about keto, I've found that lazy keto works for me because I'm listening to my body. Also, watch your electrolytes. That can't be overstated.
    Last edited by BearSchlong; 12-31-2016 at 05:21 PM.

Great input guys! For me the keto will likely shift to a Paleo diet after I shed the first 30 pounds. Or that's what I think now. Simply because Paleo is a lot closer to what I would normally eat after eliminating processed carbs pretty much forever. The one thing I absolutely agree with is that you CANNOT go too extreme because it is unsustainable. Simply look at how crowded every gym parking lot will be for the next month, then look in March, there will be a lot fewer cars in the lot. Like BA93 said "When someone goes from horrible eating and zero exercise to strict diet and 2 hrs/day at the gym, the failure rate has to 99.99% within a month." This is a real truth!

While I want to make a big dent fast I also realize it took a long time and a decades of hard partying to get where I am today. I am lucky as I went to see Billy Gibbons the Jungle show with my buddy and laid out what I needed to do and why and he said he was in a lot worse shape than me on his blood work. Of course we went to a pizza place before hand and I simply had a Caprise Salad rather than partake in the Pizza. I was sort of shocked to hear about my buddies blood work after he was downing Pizza and beer before the show.

The one thing I will say for any of you that are old farts that haven't had a physical recently go and get some good blood work done.
    I got some with genetic screening and it turns out that I have a gene mutation that makes me extra efficient for hanging onto cholesterol. Which is awesome if I was a caveman searching for my next meal, but not so good as a partying fat ass. The other interesting thing was that I have another gene mutation that prevents me from absorbing folic acid. Without this knowledge they might have wanted to put me on heart medicine with my high homosystine level, but high level there are associated with the inability to absorb folic acid.

Nutritionist said that fish and fish oil would be one of my best weapons in the arsenal She also let me know that I needed to look specifically for EPA and DHA in the fish oil I bought to make sure I got 700 mg of each daily. That four of those big pills a day, alone with 15,000 iu of D3 daily for the winter months and 5,000 after that as well as methyl- folate and methyl B12 that are sub-lingual (dissolve in your mouth for absorption). She also specifically mentioned Mark Sisson, who is the marksdailyapple guy.

Well I feel sick today so no news Years eve partying tonight. So that's another day not drinking! Good luck to all!

Insufferable Beer Nerd mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? mdleast's Avatar
    Poppin' and lockin' while battling Electro Rock at Radiotron
    Hello all. Checking in to this thread.

asshat Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer Probably Shaggy upper class Walden Ponderer's Avatar
    That man is richest whose pleasures are the cheapest.
    Quote Originally Posted by horn4life View Post
    Great input guys! For me the keto will likely shift to a Paleo diet after I shed the first 30 pounds. Or that's what I think now. Simply because Paleo is a lot closer to what I would normally eat after eliminating processed carbs pretty much forever. The one thing I absolutely agree with is that you CANNOT go too extreme because it is unsustainable. Simply look at how crowded every gym parking lot will be for the next month, then look in March, there will be a lot fewer cars in the lot. Like BA93 said "When someone goes from horrible eating and zero exercise to strict diet and 2 hrs/day at the gym, the failure rate has to 99.99% within a month." This is a real truth!

While I want to make a big dent fast I also realize it took a long time and a decades of hard partying to get where I am today. I am lucky as I went to see Billy Gibbons the Jungle show with my buddy and laid out what I needed to do and why and he said he was in a lot worse shape than me on his blood work. Of course we went to a pizza place before hand and I simply had a Caprise Salad rather than partake in the Pizza. I was sort of shocked to hear about my buddies blood work after he was downing Pizza and beer before the show.

The one thing I will say for any of you that are old farts that haven't had a physical recently go and get some good blood work done.
    I got some with genetic screening and it turns out that I have a gene mutation that makes me extra efficient for hanging onto cholesterol. Which is awesome if I was a caveman searching for my next meal, but not so good as a partying fat ass. The other interesting thing was that I have another gene mutation that prevents me from absorbing folic acid. Without this knowledge they might have wanted to put me on heart medicine with my high homosystine level, but high level there are associated with the inability to absorb folic acid.

Nutritionist said that fish and fish oil would be one of my best weapons in the arsenal She also let me know that I needed to look specifically for EPA and DHA in the fish oil I bought to make sure I got 700 mg of each daily. That four of those big pills a day, alone with 15,000 iu of D3 daily for the winter months and 5,000 after that as well as methyl- folate and methyl B12 that are sub-lingual (dissolve in your mouth for absorption). She also specifically mentioned Mark Sisson, who is the marksdailyapple guy.

Well I feel sick today so no news Years eve partying tonight. So that's another day not drinking! Good luck to all!
    MTHFR for the motherfuckin' win. My life has improved dramatically since I started taking l-methylfolate from Life Extensions.

I'd also recommend high dosages of niacin, if you're up for it, but make sure you get the kind that causes flushing; the other doesn't do much for you. Niacin is extremely good at elevating HDL and lowering blood pressure, without all the nasty side effects of some of your more common prescription medications.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    Anybody done ideal protein?
    My wife did a few years back and lost 50 pounds in a year and then gained it all back over two years. I think it's a great way to diet for big losses but I think it's awful for keeping it off. The best way to keep it off is to have a food and exercise approach that works for weight loss and then when slightly loosened results in maintenance. You have to change your lifestyle if you want to maintain it.

As for her current status she's back to 50 pounds lighter but not dieting at all. She'll be down more soon and is downright gorgeous (IMO) for a mother of three. In a year she'll be back to her original fighting weight.

Good Luck
    I'm In! (details to follow)

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudbelty View Post
    Will be in on this. Just turned 36 but not at my heaviest. Certainly at my weakest though in everything. Will be doing full blown physical in New Year like OP. Right now 6'3 and 267 as of this morning. Really really really want to be under 230.
    Same dimensions here man at the age of 43. I was at a steady 230-240 then I got a truck and I'm not walking/biking as much obviously. Blew up to 280 and it's getting to where I sometimes have trouble fitting into a chair. Last time I had blood work was two years ago and everything was top notch, but I know that wont last as I approach the age where most men in my family start having heart issues.

asshat MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM. might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MatthewM.'s Avatar
    6'2" 180, wife thinks I'm fat

bunghole pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops's Avatar
    All you guys getting blood work done make sure to get your test levels checked. Genes are great, but our nuts just quit making very much somewhere between 30 and 40ish. I always thought I was in decent shape but after hearing stories from friends about test replacement, I finally went and got the blood work. I was on the chart but just barely at 380. My guy wanted me to get up to the 900-1000 range. The difference really is tough to comprehend. Everything is just better. I'm happier, stronger, leaner, sleep better...I mean at 200 to 250mg a week you aren't going to get roid rage bacne or night sweats. The benefits are ridiculous. I just turned 40 and I'm pissed I wasted the last 8 years or so of my life thinking everything I was feeling was just normal.

And no, I do not work for big testosterone.

Get blood work and find a good men's health clinic that knows what they are doing.

Question for those of you on testosterone: Don't you have to take that for life once you start? Might sound stupid but I seem to remember hearing that.

bunghole pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops is probably pretty witty. or good at photoshop. or porn. pops's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Question for those of you on testosterone: Don't you have to take that for life once you start? Might sound stupid but I seem to remember hearing that.
    No. If you take too much then yes, you can totally shut down natural production. However, at replacement levels you can always quit and your body will naturally produce again.

But, if your body is already producing low ass levels, then you may want to take it forever. They have some long acting esters that only require a shot every 8 to 10 days. It really isn't a big deal.

asshat Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis Shaggy Gold Club Anastasis's Avatar
    Prostate cancer sounds fun

55, 6'2", 211 pounds. I'm diabetic and have never been heavy but if I tighten my diet I know it helps control my A1C and hopefully will limit my meds. I'm in. I'd love to get in the 190-195 range.

I tend to enjoy to CFB season and the holidays...but with this over I start exercising and drink less...read more and get rid of cable

Usually lose 15-20 lbs before the start of next season...

I do it gradually so as not to stress the body..

Good luck everyone!

asshat MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? MortimerTX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anastasis View Post
    Anybody done ideal protein?
    Yes. First time I did it two years ago I lost 80 lbs in 6 months. Did not cheat at all. It definitely works, but as tropheus mentioned, it is very easy to say, "Mission accomplished!" and gain it all back. They key would be to drop all the weight and find another way to manage things from that point forward. I gained all the weight back because I don't like working out and I'm a giant fan of good food and booze.

I've since done things on my own every 8 months or so, (low carb, zero alcohol, and only a few snack items from IP) and had the same results. Essentially I would eat vegetables and meat only for meals. Lots of water. The IP snacks come in handy then, so one doesn't go insane. It's pretty expensive to do the IP plan 100%.

I plan on doing my customized version of IP again in January, so I'll be checking in on this thread.

I'm 6'2" 275, currently.

And yes, best of luck to all. It's not easy.

asshat dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse Shaggy Gold Club dark horse's Avatar
    Got about 15 pounds of winter weight to lose. Let's do this.

Quote Originally Posted by dark horse View Post
    Got about 15 pounds of winter weight to lose. Let's do this.
    Ain't no thing...gonna go weigh tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by FCHorn View Post
    Ain't no thing...gonna go weigh tomorrow
    See, I think that's a key. I weigh myself every day. If you want to lose weight and keep it off you have to monitor your weight and set a weight that triggers action. If not nearly everyone will just slide back toward their previous weight.

asshat mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini Shaggy Gold Club mulletpelini's Avatar
    6'1 235 46. $#@!in miserable. I'm tired of this $#@!. I don't smoke, don't drink, I just eat way too $#@!ing much when I eat. I need to start exercising again. I'm gonna change my diet, got a few ideas, I'll check back in a month and let you know how its working.

asshat Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate Shaggy Bronze Club Tailgate's Avatar
    I've found great success with the Steel Shank diet.

At age 23, weighing 155#, I ran a 39'59" 10k. Now, my seven year old is a better runner. If I get under 200 at age 53, what is a good 5k goal? I want more metrics than weight, and want to run with my daughter.

asshat Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament Shaggy Gold Club Parliament's Avatar
    Your metric should be "get leaner, get faster." Track your results. Weight every day, pace every workout. If you're getting better at both, you're succeeding.

5'9" 260lb 37yo. Just recently started back doing low reps of calisthenics. Gonna try to start back eating healthier with simple changes. Need to do something or I'm gonna have to buy bigger clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by statsman View Post
    At age 23, weighing 155#, I ran a 39'59" 10k. Now, my seven year old is a better runner. If I get under 200 at age 53, what is a good 5k goal? I want more metrics than weight, and want to run with my daughter.
    First, start slow. Too many people try to run way faster than the pace they should be at when they start running. You should be at a pace where you could speak to a person next to you in a normal speaking voice. If that's a 13 or 14 minute pace to begin with then so be it. There are tons of training regimens on the internet. If you're just starting Couch to 5K is a good one and then you can work into some more advanced workouts designed to get you ready to run a race.

You should be spending 20-30 minutes doing the cardio (at least at the beginning of training).
    Last edited by VABuckeye; 01-01-2017 at 12:39 PM.

I want to jump in and say something about Testosterone Replacement Therapy. That was one of the things I was most interested in my blood work, as a 55 year old. Over time I have found out that a bunch of friends of mine is are some sort of testosterone. My own level were low as hell, to the point my daughter in Pharmacy school actually laughed. I complained to the Doc that I should be able to sing a lot higher with those levels. But as has been brought up a side effect can be prostate cancer,, which my father did have. In fact PSA was the one damn thing they did not test me for?!?

BUT- if I lose my giant gut supposedly my T should rise as my other $#@! falls. At the end of this three month period of body transformation it is very possible that I will still have low T, and if that is the case I will probably opt for TRT. In part because I swam my ass off this fall with hard as $#@! interval pull work and my muscle mass did not really change at all, thanks low T! My prayer is the diet changes and the loss of fat increase my testosterone production naturally. But if not... TRT will be next up I am sure.

Anyhow good luck to all! For me already down a few pounds!!!

asshat torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club torre Shaggy Bronze Club
    Quote Originally Posted by horn4life View Post
    But as has been brought up a side effect can be prostate cancer,, which my father did have. In fact PSA was the one damn thing they did not test me for?!?

There has been recent debate about prostate cancer screening. But if your father had prostate cancer, you should inform the doctor and request a PSA test and possibly a digital exam. If your insurer provider accepts, it would be good to see a urologist.

asshat Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom Shaggy Gold Club Prepuce of Doom's Avatar
    Been feeling unacceptably fat, lazy, and out of shape for the past couple of months. I'm 5'6", 40, and have a sedentary job and lifestyle. I work hard enough that I generally want to just relax with my time off, and I have a 1.5 year old that takes up a lot of time and attention. I used to skateboard, but have come to the realization that I am on a break from it until I can get the boy on board in a few years. I have never set foot in a gym, and don't plan to do so unless a doctor threatens me.

I travel a fair amount (~85-90k miles a year, about 6-8 days a month over 2-4 trips) and eat like a decadent pig at fancy restaurants while on the road. I also generally drink to excess at least once per work trip. I had a fair amount of work in New Orleans this fall, and gained about 7 lbs. in October and November. After the holidays, I topped the 200 mark for the first time, cresting at 201 lbs. a day or two ago. Fat, drunk, and short is no way to go through life, son.

I've taken incremental steps to try to get my act together (eliminating soda in favor of unsweetened iced tea and La Croix water; switching out dark booze for vodka rocks and other clear-ish drinks; not giving as much of a $#@! if I leave food on my plate) but I'm in need of doing something more substantial.

I've been tracking my food on the MyFitnessPal app as people recommended upthread, and hope to start making data-driven improvements to be more efficient and healthy in my gluttony. I would ultimately like to get down to about 180 (+/- 5 lbs.) as my regular weight.

Has anyone paid for the premium version of MyFitnessPal? I'm kind of a data nerd and suspect that having full access to it all may make it more engaging for me and therefore more likely to be successful.

I'm also going to try to do the 30 burpee a day thing from the other thread.
    Last edited by Prepuce of Doom; 01-01-2017 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Quote Originally Posted by Horne View Post
    I'm in.

I am 5'10" and 190 at 35 yo. I was married in November and will be a father soon, god-willing. Now is going to be my time if I am ever going to get my diet in check and get into a regular exercise regimen.

I have a program that I am going to be starting in January that is both a training and nutrition program designed to get me lean and fit. It is going to be brutal and it is going to be very very hard for me to maintain the self discipline needed to complete it. But, I don't really have any other choice if I want to be in this life for the long-term.
    I'm with you. Early 30s, 5'10", 176lbs and climbing quickly. I'm typically in the 165 range but my recent discovery of IPAs and a metabolism which has slowed considerably has required me scale back drastically on the fun eating. It's boring as $#@!e.

I use to eat 4K+ calories a day with no issues. Now I'm eating low-cal smoothies for breakfast seven days a week with multiple evenings of chicken and rice just to maintain my newfound "skinny-fat". It's really rocking my world.

Running the trail has helped in the past but the allergies and a baby on its way are making my 2017 cardio opportunities look slim.

asshat Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals Shaggy Gold Club Dawn Keibals's Avatar
    got so bored today I actually went out and walked just a little over 2 miles, hoping to keep it going. Would have done more but didn't want to get shin splints like the last time I started walking and overdid it.

I pulled out this old site that helped motivate me before. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ You can put in your route and see how far you walked, basically an online pedometer.

I used to use it either after I walked or to plan a route, kept changing it up so I wouldn't get bored.

Runkeeper is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Steadman View Post
    I'm with you. Early 30s, 5'10", 176lbs and climbing quickly. I'm typically in the 165 range but my recent discovery of IPAs and a metabolism which has slowed considerably has required me scale back drastically on the fun eating. It's boring as $#@!e.

I use to eat 4K+ calories a day with no issues. Now I'm eating low-cal smoothies for breakfast seven days a week with multiple evenings of chicken and rice just to maintain my newfound "skinny-fat". It's really rocking my world.

Running the trail has helped in the past but the allergies and a baby on its way are making my 2017 cardio opportunities look slim.
    Look into running sprints. Great benefits. Very time efficient. Im short on time too with year old twins. Ill never go back to just running.

asshat fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club fluff Shaggy Bronze Club
    Anybody got any good links to easy healthy lunches? I always take my lunch so preparing at home is not a problem, I feel I just need some new healthy options that I can incorporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Chet Steadman View Post

Pushups and body weight squats, along with a ton of other body weight exercises, are great. There's a lot of benefits to movement and engaging your muscles beyond calories burned. It's a use it or lose it thing, and consistent low to mid level activity goes a looooooong way.

bunghole hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night. hacker can play the whole course with a 4 iron. At night.
    count me in on this. 42 yrs old 6'1" 190 lbs - 39" waist. Need to slim the waistline and hopefully add some muscle.

bunghole BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks grows his own roses BamaSucks's Avatar
    Anybody have any experience with Nugenix, the OTC testosterone booster from GNC? My last free testosterone test was right on the low borderline and my doc pretty much refused to Rx replacement therapies. I have a solid plateau at 254, having lost 50 pounds since March or 2016. In the gym 5-6 times a week. Will change from a high cardio routine to a high intensity short interval routine with heavier weights and see if I can jump start. Would like to lose another 30-50 pounds. Diet is pretty good, if anything I under eat. Will have to cut way back on the beer.

It's a joke. Most sups are.

asshat dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad's Avatar
    Free testosterone test? Is this sometimes a part of some insurances as a part of the free checkups?

asshat Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad Probably Shaggy upper class Dillo Pad's Avatar
    First weigh in tomorrow for the official start of this. Will track progress and report.

asshat dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad Shaggy Bronze Club dad's Avatar
    Snap shot of my progress last year with calorie counting, cardio and lifting. I got complacent once I lost 35 lbs and gained 15 back so my momentum at the end isn't good. I hope to post a new one of these later this year with good results.

Marking my first weigh in of 2017 @288.6. I'm fat

DRINK WATER. A ton of good advice on this thread already, but if you start exercising after a long absence your muscles will hurt and you'll struggle maintaining. Water helps with muscle fatigue, makes you feel fuller and help with portion control. There's a reason every diet stresses water, so whichever diet you chose, make sure to drink a lot of water.

asshat UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange is a rep whore. UofTOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudbelty View Post
    Marking my first weigh in of 2017 @288.6. I'm fat
    283 this morning so I'm with you, was 300 at the doctor earlier in the month, so that's something I guess.

I am a yoyo, have been since I stopped playing any semblance of sports at the end of college. I've been up to 315 and down to 198 over the last 15ish years. Turning 40 this year, I refuse to be fat at 40. Hell, I'm not sure I can afford to be health wise, because mine sucks right now.

Shaggy Goon MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction probably preboards planes MissingInAction's Avatar
    New years day got off to a terrible start with my hungover ass eating an entire medium pizza. In fact my diet was absolutely atrocious during my 2 week christmas break.The next day I hit up an open heb and bought stuff for salads, fiber rich cereal, and other materials to make my own meals. No frozen food at all!
    The Purge 2017 is afoot!

asshat vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox Shaggy Bronze Club vox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BearSchlong View Post
    Yep. Smhorn obviously doesn't know $#@! about hormones or insulin.

Reddit.com/r/keto. I'm in the best shape of my life at 44.

Also you cannot out exercise a bad diet.

$#@! all that cardio, go download stronglifts 5x5 and go lift bro.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BearSchlong again.

bunghole Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club Sheep Have Wool Shaggy Bronze Club
    $#@! it. I'm in.

I'm not really overweight - 6'0"/170 - but I'm not in shape, and I've been eating like $#@! lately. Too much eating out and booze, too little prepping food at home. Recipes and such I'll post to GM Steakhouse.

Once I've gotten "eat less crap" down, I'll add in some light exercise and go from there.

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast