+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Texas Women's Tennis 2017 - Another Round of 16 Run?

asshat js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes

Texas Women's Tennis 2017 - Another Round of 16 Run?

Texas opens up #17 in the January 4th rankings. Individually, Kprcina is #55 in singles and Granic/Wagland are #34 in doubles.

We play Columbia to open up ITA Kick-Off Weekend in Chapel Hill on 1/28 and North Carolina (#2)/Oregon winner on 1/29.

We will play @ Michigan (#14), @ Stanford (#4), Fresno State (in Palo Alto) and host Rice.

In conference, OK State is #5 (road match 3/17), Tech is #13 (home match 3/24) and KU is receiving votes (home match 4/21).

Should be an interesting season with huge momentum coming from last season. Good fall season along with the fact that Bianca had some good pro showings (SF in Tunisia and Finals at Stillwater)

In addition to those teams listed above, Texas is playing the Blue Gray Classic, which includes the teams of Alabama, Auburn, Denver, Texas Tech, Tulane, Tulsa, and Utah. Doubt we'd play Tech before conference and out of the rest, only Auburn is ranked above us at 15. Alabama could give us trouble but their season collapsed last year after beating Texas at indoors.

Predicting at max a 6 loss season.

Likely to lose-Stanford, North Carolina, Oklahoma State
    Tossups-Tech, Michigan (but they're sitting only at 5 scholarship players), Auburn (if we play them), Alabama (if we play them)

Should have more than enough fire power to get through Rice. Also should be able to get the best of Baylor.

asshat perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007's Avatar
    We always seem to perform well against the top ranked Big 10 opponents so I'll predict a win against Michigan. It's unfortunate that we would have to somehow defeat #2 UNC to advance to the national indoors, because I do feel like we're going to finish as one of the top 16 teams in the country. I think we'll finish 7-2 in conference with losses to OSU and Baylor. I think we'll be a better team than Baylor but we haven't beaten them in 5 years and we'll be playing them in Waco in front of their obnoxious fans so....it will be tough.

Also, we only play 6 home matches this year, which is the lowest I've ever seen. Hopefully it sets up for a lot of home matches in 2018 at the new home facility*

*I swear if that facility isn't done by 2018 they should fire the contractors.

asshat js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes js probably preboards planes
    Preseason poll:

Ok State (9) - 81
    Texas Tech (1) - 70
    Texas - 63
    Baylor - 52
    Kansas - 50
    TCU - 47
    OU - 36
    KSU - 25
    ISU - 14
    WVU - 12

OSU is the unanimous selection for Big 12 champ

One thing to note is that the Michigan match is indoors, not the customary outdoors matches. Also of note, Michigan is one of the five final schools along with Texas recruit Janice Shin has listed down. (Though I think Georgia is out of the picture as it looks like they've already got 8 scholarship players for next year)

Congrats to Bianca for another great weekend at NCTC's

Here's a 3 minute interview with Joffe where he talks about the weekend and the upcoming facility. Bianca makes a small appearance with her one handed bh

http://www.flotennis.com/video/10673...s#.WHw8M_krI2x

asshat perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007 might be a clever chap. or know the right people. know what i mean, nudge nudge? perfectchaos007's Avatar
    Texas finally starts their season Saturday against Columbia. Should we win, we'll face #2 UNC for a spot in the ITA Indoor nationals. Here's how I would set the lineup if I were Joffee

Singles:
    1. Neda Koprcina
    2. Bianca Turati
    3. Petra Granic
    4. Anna Turati
    5. Dani Wagland
    6. Katie Poluta

Doubles:
    1. Turati/Turati
    2. Koprcina/Granic
    3. Wagland/Roldan
    Last edited by perfectchaos007; 01-26-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Just saw the lineup...it's

1. Bianca Turati
    2. Neda
    3. Anna Turati
    4. Granic
    5. Wagland
    6. Poluta

Doubles
    1. Bianca/Poluta (wow-Poluta is super short, interesting to see how this works out)
    2. The Croats
    3. Anna/Wagland

Hopefully with Wagland down at 5, she'll be able to have better results this year! Her game is so smooth but she hasn't had the results to match them up yet
    Last edited by Aleemay; 01-26-2017 at 08:09 PM.

I'm surprised he split up the twins in doubs. Seemed like a no brainer! Glad he at least paired the Croats together even though they are 3 years apart. Also, Poluta's short stature is why I took her out of doubs and saved her for singles. Roldan is 5'10" so I had penciled her in the doubles lineup instead.
    Last edited by perfectchaos007; 01-26-2017 at 10:44 PM.

4-1 win

I'm not surprised we lost the doubles point. That lineup is....questionable. We face #2 UNC tomorrow for a spot in the ITA regionals. UNC boasts 3 of the top 10 singles players in the nation.

We got blanked 4-0. Not a surprise

Nice home win against #17 Miami

Texas Women's Tennis ‏@LonghornsTennis 3m3 minutes ago
    Terrific win for Bianca Turati, who finishes off Miami's 6th-ranked Sinead Lohan to give the Horns a 5-0 lead.

Nice

Great win!

For those who don't remember, Sinead ended Bree's NCAA run last year. Great to see Bianca win.

Also nice to see Petra win at line 3 (her opponent was also recruited by Texas)

Came in at #16 in the new poll! Highest ranking Joffe has had so far at Texas. (I also still think there are teams ranked higher than us that we are better.)

It's also the highest ranking we've had since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleemay View Post
    Came in at #16 in the new poll! Highest ranking Joffe has had so far at Texas. (I also still think there are teams ranked higher than us that we are better.)

It's also the highest ranking we've had since 2013.
    Only 2 Big 12 teams ahead of us, but they are 6th and 7th. We play @ OK State and get Tech at home.

Uh, wow.

Team rankings: #47 (-31)
    Singles: B. Turati #39 (+46), Koprcina #69 (+10)
    Doubles: Granic/Wagland #35 (+18)

What the hell happened

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Uh, wow.

Team rankings: #47 (-31)
    Singles: B. Turati #39 (+46), Koprcina #69 (+10)
    Doubles: Granic/Wagland #35 (+18)

What the hell happened
    I think they switched over to computer rankings this week. Stanford dropped from 5 to 25. Baylor went from unranked to #10. Lots of drastic movement

Nothing to be worried about. This poll counts the four best wins into the computer rankings. (I think at the end of the season rankings will go by the nine best wins.)

Obviously since Texas has only won two matches, Texas hasn't "maxed" out on computer point potentials yet. It also didn't help that Miami only had one win counted for these rankings too. That's why Miami is unranked even though they'll surely be an NCAA tournament team too.

Banned Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz Shart Attack WHY IS EVERYBODY PICKING ON ME???11/!3123Lolz
    Good game.

We're in a 3-3 tie with something called Denver.

Granic has to win the second set to force a third set tiebreaker. Or we lose.

How did we lose to $#@!ing Denver?
    We played like our ranking today
    Last edited by perfectchaos007; 02-24-2017 at 04:04 PM.

asshat spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class spystud13 Probably Shaggy upper class
    Women...

Maybe we really are 47th

Jump of 16 in the rankings thanks to the 2 wins over the weekend even though Denver is still unranked. Shows just how important the wins are. This week's rankings are counting five wins so again, Texas still has a lot of potential computer points. Go 1-1 this weekend and ranking should increase too

We have a tough match against Stanford today. Also looks like our Womens Tennis twitter account has been deleted?

@TexasWTN? I still see it. They've tweeted today

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    @TexasWTN? I still see it. They've tweeted today
    Oh okay I see they changed their handle about a week ago. Didn't know that

Tough loss today but it shows how good this team can be when everyone is on. Every single one of Stanford's players are blue chips and look poised to make another run in NCAA. I can kind of see why Roldan got the chance today with Wagland not having a win yet this season. Most impressed with Granic (she was smacking balls left and right) and Koprcina (hustling and fighting) today.

Got to take care of business tomorrow against Fresno State.

With Miami beating top 25 NC State, Texas' ranking should also improve with a win.

Looks like we're on the verge of losing to Rice. Rice leads 3-1 but Texas is keeping the other matches close.

Tied at 3-3. It all comes down to a third set on line two which I assume is Neda.

Neda's opponent is cramping

Koprcina pulls out a win in the third set 6-4. Texas wins the overall match against Rice 4-3. Now on to conference play

How close Texas was losing to Rice:
    -Anna was actually down 0-3 and serving 15-40. She saved all those break points. With four courts still playing, Joffe spent basically the whole time on Anna's court during the third set. Gamble paid off.

The deciding match came down to fitness-Neda vs. Wendy. Wendy was cramping so badly that she underhand served for one whole game (she got broken at love)

Roldan also played an extra exhibition match, which she lost. So probably Wagland will continue playing six for the time being.

Weekend went as expected...we split the matches between OU and OSU. Next match is at home against Texas Tech who is either the best or 2nd best team in the conference.

I did notice we beat OU but was so consumed by MBB/WBB this weekend, didn't see the OSU score

we were shut out by OSU. Bianca lost in 3 sets and a couple others were close but the better team won.

If anyone is wondering how the old coach is doing at Yale, she has had three players quit this season. 2 of them were blue chips.

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/0...tes-departure/

Quote Originally Posted by Aleemay View Post
    If anyone is wondering how the old coach is doing at Yale, she has had three players quit this season. 2 of them were blue chips.

http://yaledailynews.com/blog/2017/0...tes-departure/
    Yale is a perfect fit for Lund. She's clearly not willing to put forth the effort of building a strong team, and she enjoys taking shortcuts. When she came to Texas, she was hoping her status quo approach would be good enough, but unlike Ivy Schools, we actually care about what goes on in our athletics department and keep our coaches accountable, for the most part. She's a mom first and keeps that priority over everything which is fine, just don't expect to work at a major program needs you to put your best foot forward. The two are not mutually exclusive though, as there are great female tennis coaches who can properly balance building a strong program and being a mom. Auburn's coach is one prime example
    Last edited by perfectchaos007; 03-20-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Up from #30 to #22.

L 4-2 to #9 Tech

Now we're 1-2 in conference play. Our home match against TCU on Sunday is a must-win

On a more serious note, the USC women's job is now open after their long time head coach is retiring. What are the odds Joffe jumps to this job? Back when he was at Maryland, it was no secret he wanted to become a head coach at a big time California school. Interviewed for Pepperdine several years ago too while at A&M. USC administration is also familiar with him since that was where he had his first assistant job.

4-0 over TCU!

Playing the bottom of the Big 12 next

Yeah our next two opponents are trash. Baylor match is a coin flip and Kansas will be a test, but other than those two teams its easy sailing until the conference tournament.
    Last edited by perfectchaos007; 03-26-2017 at 05:22 PM.

Easy 4-0 win over WVU. Anyone know what happened to Katie Poluta? Is she injured or benched?

Quote Originally Posted by perfectchaos007 View Post
    Easy 4-0 win over WVU. Anyone know what happened to Katie Poluta? Is she injured or benched?
    At the Tech match, she didn't seem to be injured. Was in a team uniform, not in sweats. No cast, crutches, or splints. Don't know much else.

Btw, word is it's doubtful that Janice Shin will sign with Texas. Wonder if there'll be another international recruit?

Tough loss to Baylor today which pretty much guarantees we will not host a regional, and regional upsets are rare so likely we'll fall in the round of 32 this year. This loss also means won't finish higher than 4th in the Big 12 this year. Kansas and K-State remain on the schedule, and although KState is an easy win, we can't sleep on Kansas. They aren't terrible and they have beaten us in every other sport this year so we can't take them lightly.

New tennis courts coming along.
    Last edited by TexasStrong12; 04-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Future incoming player Marta Perez Mur won her junior provincial championships

http://www.tenissibora.com/finaliza-...tenerife-5365/

• + Reply to Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast